MAME Emulator Input Lag Test

Dark GaidenDark Gaiden Joined: Posts: 284
I'm curious if anyone has done or is capable of doing an input lag test on the current version of Mame (0.146) on a Windows 7 system. Preferably using a VGA CRT for an accurate measurement. I've also noticed that Win7 USB poll rates are 125hz aka 8ms by default; granted there are a few hacks to force the 1000hz (1ms) rate, in addition to utilizing usb mice that support that poll rate. I've tried doing a rough side by side comparison of running Super Turbo via a supergun through CRT in comparison to running the emulated version on a dedicated laptop and it appeared really close in terms of input delay. Would love to get an exact measurement though.

Any information regarding a test such as this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,870
    There's ways to wire the button from the stick to the video signal lines and record the video that can get you relatively precise lag information. I'm not sure how well you can control for the variations between set-ups. I can give you a call.
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • twotone8twotone8 Joined: Posts: 76
    I know there's a variant of mame used by Schmup fanatics that eliminates the input lag, but I don't know much about it. Apparently mame adds some input lag by default and the schmup people don't like to tolerate it. I don't blame them.
  • Fists.Of.Fury.187Fists.Of.Fury.187 Joined: Posts: 29
    Apparently what they do for Shumpmame is pause the game, then hold a direction, then press Shift+Pause. Keep holding a direction and repeatedly press shift+pause. This will make the game go frame-by-frame and then you count the number of frames before your ship/character moves. I have also tried this for FBA where you pause, hold a direction and then press F1 to make the emulator go frame-by-frame. FBA has more lag on CPS1/2 games then shumpmame.
  • -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭
    overall how much lag is compared to arcade? this is all about ST, rite? :)
    <blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!

Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
  • MoonchildeMoonchilde 2 fingers of brains! Joined: Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭
    overall how much lag is compared to arcade? this is all about ST, rite? :)

Why u post so months after last????

Yo check it. Yesterday I do test, k? Pause, press button frame by frame MAME-RR is like dat 4 frames yo.
    A pinch of your brother, a teaspoon of you,
    With the head of your sister, would make a good stew.
    I'd give you a taste, but your tongue's in the stew. Irony!
    That's what Halloween means to me.