Street Fighter 15th Anniversary Stick?

nsongsternsongster Marvel 3 player/Arcade stick addict/Stream monsterJoined: Posts: 94
Are these any good/Are they worth $60? any notes on durability/mod potential? I'm talking about this: http://images.craigslist.org/5Ic5F55U43K43J83H1c6aacc2cd59733c1c23.jpg

I've been wanting to try an american-style stick for a while, that's why I ask. One of these popped up on local craigslist.

Comments

• GeorgeCGeorgeC Joined: Posts: 2,850
    Please do a Google search or use the Site Search engine as recommended in the Info Thread...
    This joystick has been talked to death about.
  • ThisIsMessatsuThisIsMessatsu Joined: Posts: 199
    I wouldnt buy it unless you are a collector of SF stuff, everything I've read about that stick is that it was very poorly made.
  • chuuchuu Fan of the female form Joined: Posts: 3,492
    change the buttons and stick, then it's good. :P
  • kikimaru024kikimaru024 Mid-tier scrub Joined: Posts: 1,691
    Some models had Happ sticks.

Also, you can change the buttons to 30mm snap-ins without cutting.
    Seimitsu & K-sticks > Sanwa JLF.
    This truth is not universally acknowledged.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,940
    The SF Anniv sticks I tried were not that bad.

Happs/ IL parts are perfect drop in replacements for parts and its easy to mod.
    I would get IL parts over Happ if you can.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • noober2noober2 Pre 09 member Joined: Posts: 389
    Excellent case but the stock parts are garbage, but that stick is hard to find for under 80 on srk and 100 on ebay..etc. Durability I'm not so sure about, the materials coulda been better.
  • KyleKyle PS-14-Gangsta Joined: Posts: 4,735 mod
    $60 is a good price if you can get it. It is unlikely to have Happ (iL) parts unless the user modded it. We do have a thread on this that is a mile long.

Also, here is an art template that people keep PMing me for. It was hosted on Megaupload so it got zapped.

http://srktt.com/files/sfac.zip
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
  • charliedrumscharliedrums Joined: Posts: 127
    My mod of this stick
    P1010047-1.jpg
    P1010061.jpg
    P1010060.jpg
    P1010062.jpg
    video
  • GeorgeCGeorgeC Joined: Posts: 2,850
    The SF Anniv sticks I tried were not that bad.

Happs/ IL parts are perfect drop in replacements for parts and its easy to mod.
    I would get IL parts over Happ if you can.

I think the only reason to get this stick is if A) you're a hardcore Street Fighter fan; and B) you can't live without Happ/iL parts.
    I'm not an American arcade parts fan -- I HATED the sticks and buttons used on North American arcade machines -- so I'm not the target base.
    The stock stick itself has the issues of part reliability (BAD) and the original PCB being problematic (think Mad Catz R1/R2 joystick level of reliability or worse). Otherwise, this is the closest besides the MAS sticks to a mass-market American-style joystick.

My mod of this stick
    Chuleta?
    "Porkchop"? I don't get it...

There aren't even any curvy little girls in the art, either!
  • chuuchuu Fan of the female form Joined: Posts: 3,492
    i think it's something to do with sentinel and how one of his attacks looks like a frying pan when he hits you with it..
    I think the only reason to get this stick is if A) you're a hardcore Street Fighter fan; and B) you can't live without Happ/iL parts.
    I'm not an American arcade parts fan -- I HATED the sticks and buttons used on North American arcade machines -- so I'm not the target base.
    The stock stick itself has the issues of part reliability (BAD) and the original PCB being problematic (think Mad Catz R1/R2 joystick level of reliability or worse). Otherwise, this is the closest besides the MAS sticks to a mass-market American-style joystick.

Chuleta?
    "Porkchop"? I don't get it...

There aren't even any curvy little girls in the art, either!

Exactly as chuu said here in Puerto Rico some of us in the community call sentinels frying pan “la chuleta, el chuletaso” the porkchop.
  • CanadianDstryrCanadianDstryr The Mundane Cinderella Joined: Posts: 2,071
    How easy is it to swap out the buttons and stick to Happ parts?
    I've played with Horis and TEs long enough to pop those open and make the switch (not to Happ parts obviously), but I've yet to open this particular stick up. Anything tricky with the Anniversary stick I should be aware of?
  • mongchimongchi Joined: Posts: 13
    Use this http://srktt.com/sfac as a guide.
    I
    did this mod about three years ago and the place I got my parts (lizard lick) has shut down. I believe you can get iL or Happs parts from Paradise Arcade. It really helps to have a multimeter because even the stock wiring was a little shoddy.
  • Dracula_XDracula_X unblockable Joined: Posts: 907
    I bought this at gamestop when they first came out for $50 i believe. Stock parts were bad so i eventually swapped them out after the pcb died. Right now it has competition buttons, Happ Perfect 360, and ps3 cthulhu. Basically the marvel 2 setup people used to love. If you can get one for a decent price go for it. It's a collectors item at least.
    Time lost can never be retrieved.
  • genigeni Joined: Posts: 301
    wow how did you put a JLF in that Stick I heard it was basically really hard
  • Dracula_XDracula_X unblockable Joined: Posts: 907
    wow how did you put a JLF in that Stick I heard it was basically really hard
    it's not hard to put a jlf it it. you could take off the jlf mounting plate and use some wood screws to mount it with the 2 holes the jlf has. I did that for a friend in illinois back after the first came out and the only place i could get sanwa stuff was himura games for ridiculous prices. fun times those were
    Time lost can never be retrieved.
  • kmart014kmart014 Joined: Posts: 12
    I just copped 2 of these for 125. I wanna mod them. What's the best joystick for this? Late pass
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 872
    edited June 30
    wise.jpg

Which [American] joystick do you prefer?
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,007
    edited July 3
    kmart014 wrote: »
    I just copped 2 of these for 125. I wanna mod them. What's the best joystick for this? Late pass

This is a typical U.S style arcade stick. So Happ Competition stick and buttons and you're good to go. This was my very first stick mod back in the day. Pretty simple to open up and swap with new parts.

I'd recommend leaving the start/select buttons as stock though. My memory is fuzzy but i recall having a difficult time finding replacement buttons for them and in the end, it wasn't worth the effort lol. For momentary start/select purposes, you don't need top-of-the line parts.

Overall, the SF 15th anniversary stick was pretty good as far as U.S sticks go. My only gripe is it was awfully large & chunky. Since then i've come to prefer my sticks to be a lot more compact. Although i've switched over to Sanwa since, and you really don't need much weight for a japanese parts stick with their light springs.

The decorative box it came in was really nice also:

sf-anniversary.jpg
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,940

IL (Industrial Lorenzo) Eurostick and IL competition buttons

Happs has gone down hill since moving production and IL made the original Happ parts before the two companies went their separate ways
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • Hustle KongHustle Kong Joined: Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

This is a typical U.S style arcade stick. So Happ Competition stick and buttons and you're good to go. This was my very first stick mod back in the day. Pretty simple to open up and swap with new parts.

This was my first mod, too. I remember feeling super proud that I didn’t break anything.
    "Street Fighting's my communication!"
  • bigbadboazbigbadboaz Joined: Posts: 56
    Memories, memories. Anyone know what ArcadeStickMonk is up to these days?
  • DEZALBDEZALB "Yamazaki Nigari" Joined: Posts: 541
    edited July 11
    $125 is high for two of these in stock form, but good luck with the mods.
    Post edited by DEZALB on
    edited July 7
    This was my first mod, too. I remember feeling super proud that I didn’t break anything.

Same here ! lol. Anyway, the 15th Anniversary SF stick was pretty damn nice at the time. Kinda miss it. Once it was modded with legit Happ/IL parts, it was about as good as U.S sticks get also.

DEZALB wrote: »
    $125 is high for two of these, but good luck with the mods.

It's a sweet deal actually if one, or both, of the sticks are still in great shape. This is an excellent stick/case to have for those that still enjoy gaming on U.S style parts.

Even better if the original box(es) are included.
  • VorlonesqueVorlonesque Joined: Posts: 14
    I bought one a few years back (supposedly new...hard to tell for certain as the box was pretty beat up...but the stick itself looked new enough) of amazon or ebay and heavily modded it to replace my old modded X-Arcade as my US style stick. Put an MC Cthulhu board in it, some IL buttons and an IL stick (initially a Super stick as I liked the feel of that stick but I eventually decided to pop in a Eurostick/Comp I had lying around and I liked that better). I drilled holes for pinball buttons on the side, holes in the back for a couple buttons and a hole in the top for a start button (I also ordered a plexiglass pane for it from Art to cover up the original small holes). It turned out pretty well and I'm very happy with its final state!

RdzRDETl.jpg
  • bigbadboazbigbadboaz Joined: Posts: 56
    Yeah, that's a great-looking stick!
    nsongster wrote: »
    Are these any good/Are they worth $60? any notes on durability/mod potential? I'm talking about this: http://images.craigslist.org/5Ic5F55U43K43J83H1c6aacc2cd59733c1c23.jpg

I've been wanting to try an american-style stick for a while, that's why I ask. One of these popped up on local craigslist.

ive bought this stick twice, i dont like it and the pcb is not good. just make your own with the parts you want
  • DEZALBDEZALB "Yamazaki Nigari" Joined: Posts: 541
    edited July 11
    Def good cases if your into American hardware. Did a simple IL button/stick swap, put ps3 Cthulhu in there, nothing fancy. Putting this up for sale this week due to me not seeing myself playing on american hardware unless i have to at some barcade.
    Just note you will have to use different qds on the IL/HAPP buttons since the stock buttons use .110 qds

sfav_zpsul14pcue.jpg
  • SPECTERLIGHTSPECTERLIGHT METRO CITY NINJUTSU Joined: Posts: 736
    I have 2 of these with the boxes and posters. One I bought around the time of release for $60 & the other latter on for $20, both new.
    I used the first with stock parts for SF Anniversary collection (mainly 3rd Strike on Xbox). This is before I learned of the FGC/competitive scene.
    They've been in the box, on the shelf as it were, because I use MCZ sticks, but I've always thought about modding them.
    TL:DR Are they better off as is, in terms of collector's items?
    They're too clunky for me to use, though they'd be Kool to implement in a custom arcade cabinet project.
    Disciplines: Bushin-Ryu-Ninpo, Street Fighting, Demonology, IGA Ninjitsu, Bushido, Alchemy, English Boxing, Wing Chun, Shaolin Gung Fu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Igyo Tenshin-no-Jutsu, SFCQC, Swordplay, Garou Ryū MMA, Kusanagi Ryū Kobujutsu, Yagami M.Arts, Gun Kata...
    “There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.” 武神

RIN-PYOU-TOU-SHA-KAI-JIN-RETSU-ZAI-ZEN
  • LittleJimmy1983LittleJimmy1983 Macho Madness Joined: Posts: 904
    In terms of collector's items the only crowd that would probably have a strong desire to obtain one of these is someone in the 30+ age group who can actually remember when arcades were abundant in the US.
    ABACABB.
  • Minotaur64Minotaur64 Joined: Posts: 208
    I'm happy i found this thread. I've been holding on to a couple of these sticks for a long while for a dream modding project. Problem is, i dont know where to start. For starters, I want to change the art, the buttons, the stick, and even possibly the location of the start and select buttons.

Aside from the sticks themselves, i have nothing

If anyone with experience working on these sticks could give me a few starting tips, they would be much appreciated
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,149
    Uhh...unfortunately this stick is made of very cheap materials.

For example, the bottom plastics usually fall out out over time. The case is made of very cheap MDF. Once you remove the t-moldings, it never goes back in the same way. Removing the moldings is the only way to remove the artwork/plexi. The best thing this thing had going for it at the time was the xbox/psx compatibility. If you just unscrew the bottom cover, you can see how everything is hooked up. It is a fairly easy stick to work on, but the quality really affects the fit and finish. I have one in storage that I can't even sell lol.

edited 1:16PM
    In terms of collector's items the only crowd that would probably have a strong desire to obtain one of these is someone in the 30+ age group who can actually remember when Happ parts were abundant in the US.

^^ Corrected.

And for the record, we still have arcades. They've just changed their typical location. The Laser Tag places! That's the arcade of the new millennium or whatever.

If you have an appreciation for old-school lightgun shooters, you need to play this one. A couple of times a week i go to my local laser tag and play-through this gem: (2014)Alien Armageddon.

Of course i bring this game up because i never knew it existed until i visited a laser tag arcade. And to date, the only other place i've EVER seen these machines pop up is at other laser tag places lol.

Post edited by AlphaCharlie at
    ^^ Corrected.
    I thought those of us old enough to remember would've naturally understood the common joysticks and buttons and not needed a reminder.
    ABACABB.
  • genigeni Joined: Posts: 301
    I feel as if either you or some one you know can work with wood. You could easily make a replica of this stick. As a previous poster said the materials are not well made for this stick and I love happ buttons but I prefer the Korean joystick over the IL's
    that stick is overrated and not worth the hype
    noober2 wrote: »
    that stick is overrated and not worth the hype

It was an okay starter stick for me back in 2004 before I had a good enough job to spend the money on ebay and get a HRAP. Those were the good old days when you couldn't go to your local GameStop and buy a decent stick.
    ABACABB.
    i know what you mean, i couldnt afford a hrap and japanese parts were expensive. i forgot the sfac was the cheapeast happ stick you could buy back then