Do you consider yourself an OG member?

Comments

• Orochi KenOrochi Ken Banks 4 Prez Joined: Posts: 694
    Reporting for duty. What do I have to do again?
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 13,631 admin
    I asked them about APEX last year. Supposedly tournaments would have a lot of mysteriously high turnouts, or you'd have "one entry fee enters you into everything" or other methods used to imbalance the APEX scaling.

I miss the shields. Maybe have them tied to join date instead of post count?

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

MvC2 for Xbox One/PS4 pls

edited August 2015
    Almost the links here are from the WayBack Machine. This means that they're from that date and if you want to actually read the full threads/links, you probably want to go forward in the WayBack Machine first so you don't skip out on the later additions.
    I used to read the ST and XvSF sections, but never felt the need to post until Super SFIV came out, and I knew I was going to play it a fair bit (which I did, and now don't). I used to be away all day in #capcom and download Battle by the Bay vids on dial-up in Preppy's hub, if that counts? :) The last 12 years went really quick. I can remember when SFIII was being previewed in magazines like it was yesterday, and laughably (now) basic FAQs going up quick for A3 when that hit. I guess the real hardcore were discussing this shit online when Super Turbo came out, or even Hyper Fighting, on the newsgroups. Respectful, innocent times.
    I'm not sure if that disqualifies you as OG or not. :lol:

The GoForBroke DirectConnect hub wasn't originally "mine". I took it over from DrFunkenstein (join date on that account may 2001) when he disappeared (original "SF Vids @ Go For Broke Hub" thread). And then we started getting a massive influx of people who just wanted to download stuff and not share, or who had a bunch of ... illicit stuff I couldn't have my computers touching (I'm under light but continued legal scrutiny because of my job). So it made progressively more sense for me to have a site. And about April 2007, I finally canned the dying GFB hub in favor of solely hosting on zachd.com.

For further context: I bought the zachd.com domain name around Feb 2004, and started using it to host videos about Aug 2004. By at least December 2004 I was sharing a huge amount of videos via AIM file transfer, via the hub, and via my normal user account on nwlink.com. (The nwlink.com videos probably started appearing up there in 2003 or so. I'm too lazy to check.) Funk disappeared right about then (late 2004), so by January 2005 we moved from "GFB" to "smash" (also as per this). April 2005 is the point at which things started getting out of control as regards everybody wanting footage via AIM, so I stopped doing AIM transfers, the ghetto way I used to handle the footage.

Then NWLink started freaking out in February 2007 since I was doing "nearly" a terabyte of traffic a month just via zachd.com, so I moved hosts March 2007 to one that could handle terabytes of traffic without charging me a kazillion dollars. I was regularly doing around 40-50 terabytes a month for a long while, but since I haven't done any substantial filming in a while, it's down to "only" ~2TB per month for the past year.

Also OG - Siegfried's Fighter Mania.

And fuck, I forgot about this:
    * My printable MvC2 move lists
    , which was the reason I was lurking SRK in the first place. (Other move lists can be found here here, and yes the typos in those move lists directly correlate to the moves that I still screw up. :lol:)

God bless the WayBack Machine.

If anything you're looking for isn't in the Pre-Crash Archive, you might want to try the WayBack Machine.

Aaaaand as regards my ties to Evo...
    I work at MS, and MS bought VxTreme back in the day. That's where the Cannons worked after college. The first day they came to Redmond, the entire product team went out to Zones Arcade to play games all day. We all sat on XvSF and the Capcom games together and played until the buses left. I eventually bought a sweet 25" SFII:CE cabinet with Wico Perfect 360 sticks (best sticks ever made) and brought that into work. We'd play the Vs series or some iteration of SF3 after work and I'd kind mostly hold my own against their far better technical play. During this time I had zero idea that they were running local tournaments at Quarters Arcade - right near where I lived - , or that tournaments were really a thing outside of Tips and Tricks magazines. Then they left MS.
    I kept playing at work and the local arcades, and eventually was walking around SouthCenter Mall with my then-gf. They had a random "MvC2 tournament this weekend!" sign up, so I ended up going and meeting the rest of the Seattle FGC then. (If you're a Seattleite, this was Kuan's 'welcome back' tournament in 2003.) They convinced me to go to Evo, and I was stunned to see the Cannons again. :)

edit: Updates while I'm thinking about it.

Post edited by Preppy on

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

• Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Bring back OG APEX you bastards.

Yeah man I can't wait to have 100,000 points cus I keep making up fake tournaments and winning them all!
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    Started playing SF in 1992, knew about the community before SRK existed, was on agsf2 mainly as a lurker around the time it was beset with posts by SFA3 noobs, wore out a copy of the SFA2 Superbook, bought the B4 tapes and opened them like a kid on Christmas, etc. I'm still not an OG.

Honestly, unless you were a competitor before SRK started (or otherwise involved in the community somehow), how OG are you really?
    http://web.archive.org/web/19991003222835/http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/6785/

...glad we have such a thing as internet archives.... *tears up*

*BONUS EDIT*
    the revamped site was even better:

http://web.archive.org/web/19991002120641/http://gpow.com/
    I love you.
  • CalcalCalcal Joined: Posts: 1,128
    I asked them about APEX last year. Supposedly tournaments would have a lot of mysteriously high turnouts, or you'd have "one entry fee enters you into everything" or other methods used to imbalance the APEX scaling.

I miss the shields. Maybe have them tied to join date instead of post count?

If shields were brought back does that mean only OG members would get galaga ships? Wasn't a red ship 20-30k posts and a white one 10?

Or the shields can be relative to the amount of likes a person has like sorta like a rep system but not really. Though I do miss rep I don't think its going be brought back after so many new members joined with SFIV
    Pokemon FC: 2749 7678 1016
    Advance Wars: 433915-918661
    Av by BIGWORM
  • ioio Joined: Posts: 1,420
    Jan 1, 2001. So close to being a true OG haha
    (you're == you are) != your
  • Amazing FunbagsAmazing Funbags The J-Cup Lover Joined: Posts: 17,726
    04 or 05 for me so no =/
    Boobologist Ph.D
  • piskooooopiskooooo anime swag Joined: Posts: 4,386
    I was 10 years old when most of you joined SRK.
  • DarkMage724DarkMage724 Whoops Joined: Posts: 430
    Yeah man I can't wait to have 100,000 points cus I keep making up fake tournaments and winning them all!

You can't prove that the 128 man mvc2 tournament in my garage was fake! I went undefeated and won this tourney btw...now give me my points.
    rawr
  • Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,098
    I'm going to be staying with the Broken Tier crew this week during Evo; I wonder if I should mention the Fleshlight review thread to Viscant when I inevitably meet him. :rofl:

i'm sure he will remember it
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
  • Tom Goes to the MaTom Goes to the Ma g Joined: Posts: 427
    i forget to clarify, that in this thread, OG means Obviously Gay.

looks like a good percentage of people here are obviously gay.
  • NickRocksNickRocks or whatever Joined: Posts: 22,220
    I've read that mega archive enough to kind of know what people are referring to (i believe in lurk first talk later)

were the johnson brothers the ones who were "almost legendary"?
    King of the Post-09ers
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    Fleshlight incident is pretty modern in the chronology of Mr Snyder Esquire. If he pops in here, I'd like to see him reflect once more on how his bust leg made him a champ MvSF player ;) I used to enjoy those long, intelligent posts :coffee: They kinda stood out on here at that point...

Funny how back then the Alpha and Vs guys were the nu-skool punks held in contempt by the born-in-the-70s SFII crew. Now it seems more a case of anything from the 90s >>>>> polygons, ultras and dlc gems :rofl:
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
  • Hagure MetaruHagure Metaru pushed too short! Joined: Posts: 516
    I like these threads cuz old f.n heads pop up. Hai guyz!

Not an srk og, I only came here cuz of f.n's first crash. Though I did lurk agsf2.

PS: It's crazy how many ppl are in secretchannel these days
    -
    Hagure Metaru, a Slime who stopped using this sig a long time ago
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,247
    My asian wife is OG, not me though...
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,397
    Lots of people liked the song on this trailer:

The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • GorehoundGorehound Awesome, Awesome to the Max! Joined: Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I had an account here in 2001, but something happened and I couldn't log in to my account anymore. Not to mention my old email account is dead, so I joined back again in 2004.

I'm more proud to be an OG Fighting Game Player. Played my first fighter Street Fighter 1 at the local Video Store where I rented a lot of Kung Fu films back in 1988. I do miss the Southern Hills Golfland years.

Anybody remember that Galaga style game they had in SRK many years ago?
    UMvC3: She-Hulk/Iron Fist/Firebrand/Hawkeye/Taskmaster
    LoL: Fizz/Akali/LeBlanc/Fiora/Irelia/Vayne/Caitlyn/Shyvana/Nautilus/Volibear
    MK9: Kabal, Reptile, Sindel, Kitana, Freddy Krueger
    SSF4AE2012: Dictator, Rufus, Chun Li, C. Viper
  • AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,019
    Nope, I don't consider myself OG, maybe in another five years.

I do consider myself better than the '08 and forward crowd though.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • fishjiefishjie no Joined: Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    oh holy fuck this brings back a flood of memories.

master akuma :lol:

johnson brothers. their mom had to drop them off at tournaments and later their mom even posted on SRK to say stop making fun of my kids.

omg memories.

but yeah to answer the OP, look at my fucking join date.
    Nicky's methods of betting weren't scientific, but they worked. When he won, he collected. When he lost, he told the bookies to go fuck themselves. I mean, what were they going to do, muscle Nicky? Nicky was the muscle
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,096
    Well I have been here long enough that I know better than to respond to unspecified acronyms.
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Where is Geekboy? He would close strategy threads faster than the white gets on rice when you pop the lid, and I admire him for it.
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
  • ShinBlankaShinBlanka 神Blanka Joined: Posts: 7,165 mod
    I'm OG, but I can't remember why? Must be forgeting things in my old age. RIP Mummy-B!
    (FinalRound) A staple in the Fighting Game Community!
    New FR site: http://www.finalround.org
    Rest in Peace: To my MOMMA , Auntie Toosie, Uncle Thon, Craig Dufour "MAXIMUS" and Brian "Mummy-B" Graham and my 2 unborn children.
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235

Probably one of the most-asked (and most tiresome) questions in SRK history: zomg wut is song in evo trailor!?/1/
  • NickRocksNickRocks or whatever Joined: Posts: 22,220
    WHAT IS THAT WEEABOO SHIT
    King of the Post-09ers
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • Hagure MetaruHagure Metaru pushed too short! Joined: Posts: 516
    Where is Geekboy? He would close strategy threads faster than the white gets on rice when you pop the lid, and I admire him for it.

I'm from the same area he's from and just asked the same question yesterday to some friends before even seeing this thread haha. Universe Aligns...

Sent from my Galactus.
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    On another unrelated topic, I have been on this site way too fucking long, I don't even like fighting games.

Then GTFO. Or die by my hand. EITHER CHOICE WE WIN your mother!
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,397
    Haha, on a interesting note, people don't say, "GGPO", "beasting", "RTSD", or "rape" as much or not at all? Still as misogynistic but the stairs aren't mentioned anymore. I remember the dark blue format of the board, then suddenly that huge and ugly ad banner appeared on the left causing everything to be eccentric.
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • Little_GotenLittle_Goten No seriously, what the heck's a Kakarot? Joined: Posts: 5,598
    I'm the scrubbiest member of this website.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    3DS: 3325-5076-0861
    NNID: Little_Goten
    Pokemon, Third Strike, Vsav, Skullgirls, Yu-Gi-Oh, Cardfight Vanguard

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,096
    Sounds like the cries of live chickens in a blender. Remixed to trance.
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    who iz daigo gaiz iz he sum1 gud?
  • VynceVynce Hater. Joined: Posts: 14,644
    Nope, I don't consider myself OG, maybe in another five years.

I do consider myself better than the '08 and forward crowd though.

That's the thing; we'll never be OG. This circle jerk is not ours. One day, we can have a thread about how swell 2007 was.
    "My name is Pertho and I like whoopi goldbergs tits."-Pertho
  • akuaku スピリチュアルやからね! Joined: Posts: 3,865

That trailer predates anime, so it's cool and hip. Can't hate on OGs.
  • BIG BAD MOGBIG BAD MOG Tough, yet Fluffy Joined: Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Who gives a flying fuck?
  • Warrior's DreamsWarrior's Dreams 梅原 > Wong Joined: Posts: 1,292
    I joined in 06, so I'm def not OG, but I'm not an 09'er either. If you want something OG, read this

hfguidebookp159tomosml0xt.jpg

or go here

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.sf2/about

or watch this

or of course, this

On the other hand, if you want something a little less OG, there is always this:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/interview-with-orochi-zoolander-orochi-learns-how-to-dragon-punch-on-joystick.29023/

What I can say is that the old SRK forums were awesome. The front page was almost never updated (it was only updated when there was something like EVO or SFII Turbo for XBL was being announced ), so when it actually was updated, you were almost in shock. I recall the headline "Hell freezes over: SF IV Announced" or something really similar to that.

Of course, no nostalgic reminicence would be complete without mentioning the rep system. Directly underneath your avatar was a lifebar displayed for the world to see. If you got premium SRK, you got the ability to give positive rep (in life-green) if someone said something awesome, or negative rep (in blood-red) if someone said something really dumb. It was pretty great. You'd have new people come in and when you said something stupid or false, you'd get neg repped for it. Sometimes people took it too seriously and got upset at getting neg repped. IIRC, if you didn't have SRK premium, you didn't get told who neg repped you, so it's like if you said something stupid, you had invisible SRK ninjas calling you out on it, so some people who got neg repped would get even more upset and post negative comments in the forums because they had no clue who did it to them. Of course then they'd get neg repped again for it, but that's the way it went. And it wasn't like the neg rep would go away on its own after a while. The only way to remove it was to get pos repped.

There was also a cycle in the rep system, meaning that once you repped someone (pos or neg), you would have to rep other people a certain number of times before you could rep them again. There were actually threads whose main purpose was to give people positive rep. So if you posted in this thread, the expectation was that everybody in that thread who could would pos rep you. So you'd log in, check your profile and you'd get colorful messages from others who pos repped you. Sometimes people would be upset at a person because they haven't pos repped them in a while and they would be like, "fine, I'm not reppin you either." The amount of rep you had was indicated by a number. People would post this number in this thread. Then other people would pos rep them, and after a while, they would post their updated number in another post ("wow, look at how high my rep jumped!!"). This served two purposes: the first was just to indicate how much rep they actually had (It's over 9000!!!!) to others; the second was to give another post to pos rep, because any premium srk member could only rep a post exactly once, so rather than posting an empty post, they'd just post the number and a colorful message as well.

Speaking of messages, another reason to increase your rep is that after you obtained a certain number of points, there would be a new message by your avatar. This would range from positive messages about your skill, to negative comments about your character (e.g. "So-and-so" needs to die in a fire). This mechanic actually resulted in a handful of people who wanted to get neg repped. Some just didn't care, but some people wanted to test out the neg rep system just to see what would happen, so they made a neg rep thread just to see what would happen.

Another interesting thing about the rep system is that the more rep you had, the larger the effect would be. This means that if you were new to SRK and said the wrong things to somebody with a ton of rep, you could be two bars in the red off the bat. Also, once you repped someone, there was no taking it back, so if your finger slipped, people would be mad. I believe there was a cap on it eventually. IIRC, Valaris was for the most part the one with the highest amount of rep (most of the time).

So yea, rep was broken, but it was still pretty fun.

In addition to a rep system, we also had the Galaga shields that indicate your post count. Rather than use numbers, there was a series of between 2 and maybe 8-ish shields in your avatar. Think of the way coins and dollars represent how much money you have, but with shields and rep. It was kinda like a badge that made the area where your avatar is at look better. Much as with rep, people made threads where you would "post what you're thinking at the momemt" in order to raise your shiled count. The best was getting that 1000th or so post and all your other shields disappeared and you got a much better-looking shield instead. Then you post until you get like the 10000th post, etc. Again, it was a nice perk available to all members that made the site a little more fun.

We also used to have free arcade games on SRK for a brief period. There were a ton of them too. They kept track of scores, so there would always be somebody whom you cuold compete against. Some scores were ridiculously high. I think the highest I got at one point was second place on a "Columns" clone they had here, but then one guy got this awesome score and put me down to like 4th. I honestly don't understand why SRK got rid of them. They were an interesting addition to this forum. Yea, I could go to some other site and play their games, but when you only browse these forums, it doesn't really make much sense to. You'd post a message, check your panel and suddenly find out that you're no longer in second place, so you gotta get back on there and take your spot back.

Another short-lived idea: SRK had some kind of currency. Not like dollars for XBL points currency, but I remember logging on one day and finding this wierd stat in my panel. AFIK, nothing ever became of this. A similar and more recent (relative to other things I've discussed) is the contribution point system. I don't remember if it was just if you got something posted on the front page, but if you did, then you got points for it by your avatar. I don't know if they were good for anything aside from an quantification of what people thought of your work. Keits I believe had one of, if not, the highest scores on this metric. Could you trade them in for anything? I think they were tinkering around with this idea, but I don't think you could.

I do recall a time (and I don't know if it's still going on) where if you did Mr Wizard a favor, he would grant you things on the SRK forums. I'm not in the know BTW, and if I'm wrong about stuff in this paragraph, somebody please feel free to correct me, but Azrael used to have this Fulgore avatar that was something like 1.5 X 2 square inches that I think he got as a result. This is in comparison to nonPremium avatars which were something like 1 x 1 sq inches, and premium which was something like 1.25x 1.5 sq inches. I don't recall the exact specifications, but you saw how huge this avatar was and you were like "How do I get that?" I think Valaris also got his join date pushed back as a result of doing Mr Wizard a favor. Of course, with the new Xenforo switch Azrael's avatar is a thing of the past, but it was good while it lasted I guess.

Another thing we don't have is a larger color selection. All we have right now is black and white. What we used to have was a red theme, a green theme, a midnight-black theme (which we kinda have now) and of course

shoryukenky9.png

although evidently there seems to have something comparable to this in Xenforo

35c44f478d.png

So yea, I'm not really OG, but SF4 isn't my first SF game either. Still, I was lucky enough to experience some of the old SRK before everything changed, though I'm kinda surprised that nobody has started a "Like Me" thread yet... or is this already going on in some dark corner of SRK?
    You shouldn't care about the division between ST and HDR, but rather the message you are sending to tournament organizers if you stop supporting the classic style of Street Fighter II.

Mike Watson's Super Turbo Revival Sunday's Stream every Sunday! Look up "IEBattleGrounds" on twitch tv's website.
    Here is the latest stream:
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I will never forget Rad "Shut up! I almost have a girlfriend!!" Spencer, or Ganj The Firetiger...a Beyblader who Beyblades. Whatever happened to Bekyotchi? Our lady members never last long...
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • HavatchuHavatchu Joined: Posts: 4,734
    I will never forget Rad "Shut up! I almost have a girlfriend!!" Spencer, or Ganj The Firetiger...a Beyblader who Beyblades. Whatever happened to Bekyotchi? Our lady members never last long...

...specs mentioned Beyblades once. Is that relevant to the quote in my sig? XD

And now for some arbitrary BS. In terms of involvement with fighting games on a semi-serious to serious level, at the very least a hobby, not so much with SRK membership obviously.

1990-1999 or previous: OG
    2000-2009: 2nd Generation
    2010-2019: 3rd Generation and so on...

Sound fair?
    Insanity is freedom
    The moment I fell in love with specs- "I believe in the Beyblader philosophy, for I am one who Beyblades."
    Shaft's posts are canon.
  • spideymanspideyman Much Luv to the Midwest Joined: Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Man I could go for a game of bulletball right now
    Much love to the midwest.
  • j_mONSTERFACEj_mONSTERFACE Drinks the pulp Joined: Posts: 225
    att000044.jpg

are u more OG than a fifth-grader?
  • GorehoundGorehound Awesome, Awesome to the Max! Joined: Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It's more like 2009 where the 3rd Generation starts. The year where SF4 came out on consoles and brought in new fans with online comp and streaming matches.
    UMvC3: She-Hulk/Iron Fist/Firebrand/Hawkeye/Taskmaster
    LoL: Fizz/Akali/LeBlanc/Fiora/Irelia/Vayne/Caitlyn/Shyvana/Nautilus/Volibear
    MK9: Kabal, Reptile, Sindel, Kitana, Freddy Krueger
    SSF4AE2012: Dictator, Rufus, Chun Li, C. Viper
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,333
    Seriously, why is playing SF4 such a disgrace?
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
  • WilWil Joined: Posts: 5,950
    Been here during the newsgroup, Gouki's Page of Whatever, and SRK/Fighters.net days. My old SRK handle was from late 2000.
    SFV: Cammy, Ibuki, Karin
  • HavatchuHavatchu Joined: Posts: 4,734
    It's more like 2009 where the 3rd Generation starts. The year where SF4 came out on consoles and brought in new fans with online comp and streaming matches.

I'm inclined to agree honestly, I just thought it was tidy to have 9s at the end of each gen.
    Insanity is freedom
    The moment I fell in love with specs- "I believe in the Beyblader philosophy, for I am one who Beyblades."
    Shaft's posts are canon.
  • oohappytofuoooohappytofuoo Bloody High Claw!!!! Joined: Posts: 191
    the fun days with a lot of familiar faces, lurk, lurk I do.
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 3,441
    i started lurking in 2003 (back when I was just looking for 3S vids) but didn't join until 2004. I still have some old SoCal vids with Frankie3S, Vic, pyrolee
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-3711-4829
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787
    I think the important question to ask is if you were here before SFIV was.
    Ahh yes, the clever way of saying you joined in 2007.

(Me too. Hahaha.)
  • DhalsimownsDhalsimowns Joined: Posts: 976
    Took all of 5 seconds to make my name so I could respond to something in 2004. Lurked from 2001 because I thought forums were nerdy at the time. Have been stuck with this creative name for close to ten years now. Could not be prouder. Was just playing 3s today and battled a random srk member. It feels good to belong!!
    Some of the SRK super OGs (guys who run SRK, not people who "just" joined the site early) had their Rep totals locked to award them special titles.

Some of the giant avs were simply holdovers from the transition to vBulletin. IIRC, people like that (TS?) couldn't change their avs because they'd hit the limit. But they still could rock their legacy gigantic slab of avatar.

On vBulletin, there was also a secret orange theme.

As regards the awesome vBulletin arcade, I know that some peeps figured out how to hack the game scores. Still very fun, though.

• WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX C.JACKOBE > David Sirloin Joined: Posts: 17,426
    Seriously, why is playing SF4 such a disgrace?
    SF4 players don't acknowledge anything else that exists before SF4

Pre SF4 players don't acknowledge SF4 players exist.
    Nor do they make themselves exist outside of SF4,
    "Don't let this game die!"
    "SFxT don't let this game die too!"
    "How do I marvel I only played SF4 (should I wait for the next Capcom game which might be more SF4, SFxTekken needs to be more SF4)"

Makes sense.
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

• Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,042
    Fuck these noobs for ruining everything. I HATE YOU.