Skullgirls OTT! -Random select is top tier.

Comments

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,709 mod
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • NephinelNephinel Jill - Mistress of Wyverns Joined: Posts: 705
    Is the patch for the Skullgirls XBLA release available yet? I've kind of stopped playing and picked up BlazBlue CS Extend again. Gonna get some Skullgirls in tomorrow night so I can prep for a little side tournament at Xanadu.
    This battle is about to explode. FIGHT!
    PSN: Nephinel
    NNID: Nephinel
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,796
    Is the patch for the Skullgirls XBLA release available yet? I've kind of stopped playing and picked up BlazBlue CS Extend again. Gonna get some Skullgirls in tomorrow night so I can prep for a little side tournament at Xanadu.

Nothing yet, probably not happening until next year. =/
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
  • NephinelNephinel Jill - Mistress of Wyverns Joined: Posts: 705
    January or early Feb at the latest? :shake:
    This battle is about to explode. FIGHT!
    PSN: Nephinel
    NNID: Nephinel
  • SpaceOutNightmareSpaceOutNightmare Stays Sandbaggin' Joined: Posts: 2,351
    I've finally got a cerebella run stop combo that's worth it.

Thank you, based training mode.
    Thinking about redoing BOB tournament for the patch, anyone game?
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,796
    January or early Feb at the latest? :shake:

Pfft, just assume it's going to be summer. That way, if it comes out sooner it will be a pleasant surprise.
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
    If MS starts asking for money for the patch, then maybe Lab Zero should get sponsored by Brazzers.
    kFpyl.jpg
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    The color of that wall gets me everytime.
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,025
    In these cases, it really is great just to be nominated...

...because the most popular game will win in any votes decided by the general public regardless of actual merit.
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
  • worldjem7worldjem7 Seven World Jems Joined: Posts: 544
    If you mean "wasting money" for the Skullgirl, sure.

If it's over 50 dollars, just go Audio Technica or sennheiser.
  • Master_ChibiMaster_Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 15,063 mod
    yeah skullcandy and beats are never worth the money you pay for them

they never last as long either
    ~*Hai! Back to Japan!
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,870 mod
    So since I'm waiting on the 360 patch, I've been playing a metric fuckload of KoF13.

Yeah... I'm just gonna leave this here:

WDce2.jpg
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• ZebsterZebster Joined: Posts: 3,738
    Subtle.
    KOF 14 team: Robert/King/K'
    Someone in a Skullgirls thread in some other forum mentioned "Launch Party."

As such...
    skullgirls_launch_party_err_day_by_bugonisx2-d4v9opd.gif
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • RekanoRekano ONE MORE ONCE Joined: Posts: 602
    ibbowCTABMEU7c.gif
    ERR DAY! SON!
    -Rekano OuTz
    "Chris Hansen can't stop them titties."-Geese Pants
  • Skyking_jSkyking_j Nami! Onepiece! Oda! Joined: Posts: 178
    ibbowCTABMEU7c.gif
    ERR DAY! SON!
    And at the end of Erry Day
    mattwooliesmall.png
    ...If you haven't noticed I'm a One piece fan.
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    I have still never seen those fuckers play it.
  • Uncivilized ElkUncivilized Elk Joined: Posts: 713

New season of Fighterpedia was mentioned during their SFxMegaman video, so I hope they finally do.

Hey guys, how is the online for Persona 4 Arena? It's going for $22 at the moment and I am tempted to pick it up.
    PSN: Uncivilized_Elk
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    I finally got the last character specific achievement, which was Valentine's(hers is such a pain!) Now I just need to beat Story mode again(beat it on PS3 before) and I will have them all. :3
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
  • QETZLQETZL Needs more Salt. Joined: Posts: 494
    New season of Fighterpedia was mentioned during their SFxMegaman video, so I hope they finally do.

Hey guys, how is the online for Persona 4 Arena? It's going for $22 at the moment and I am tempted to pick it up.

It's pretty dead, because no one is playing it online because it's dead. Sort of a self fulfilling prophecy with fighting games. It being so many outlets FGotY and a super sale might mean a spike in activity again though.
    CFN: THEBENWA
    I play Bison and when I win I slick my hair back and try to pop my pecs
    as you should.
    It's pretty dead, because no one is playing it online because it's dead. Sort of a self fulfilling prophecy with fighting games. It being so many outlets FGotY and a super sale might mean a spike in activity again though.

Sorry, I didn't mean activity, I meant how's the netcode? And how badly does lag affect your ability to do stuff?
    Sorry, I didn't mean activity, I meant how's the netcode? And how badly does lag affect your ability to do stuff?

In that case.
    It feels pretty good. They do a lot of buffer stuff to reduce the feel of lag between far away users and overall it's a very pleasant experience, if still at times noticeably behind your inputs.
    as you should.
  • Number 13Number 13 The Courage to Skullgirl Joined: Posts: 1,545
    Eh? I still get lobby rooms often when i check online (Xbl anyway in the player matches). Rank is pretty dead though although i sometimes get matches whenever i check
    Currently Played Fighters [other alias: HooliganComboFTW]
    Persona 4 Arena: Yu Narukami Skullgirls: Solo Filia SSFIV AE: Cammy Dead or Alive 5: Hitomi/Rig
    KoF XIII : K'/Athena/Terry SoulCaliber V: Siegfried Tekken 6: Lili/Lars SF3OE: Alex SSF2HDRMX: Cammy
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    <
    Top tier avatar
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
    <
    Top tier avatar

I TOLD YOU ABOUT THEM STAIRS, BRO
    as you should.
  • ZebsterZebster Joined: Posts: 3,738
    I TOLD YOU ABOUT THEM RAINBOWS, BRO
    fix'd
    KOF 14 team: Robert/King/K'
  • girlystylegirlystyle Only plays Fugazi Joined: Posts: 1,804
    why must I be stuck in this skull girls-less winter wonderland hell for 9 more days
    people only pay attention to me because of my vagina awesome penis
  • PsychoJoshPsychoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 3,145

I don't think they ever liked the game that much. They just did that video out of pity.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ

also its a shitty game for shitty people
    In these cases, it really is great just to be nominated...

...because the most popular game will win in any votes decided by the general public regardless of actual merit.

Oh come on, let's get real here, Skullgirls doesn't deserve to win at all. I mean, it was a cute effort, and took great strides to be driven by the community, but you really think it's a better game than P4A and TTT2? Like, seriously, objectively speaking. It only has 8 characters and a bunch of plagiarized elements from other games, and its art style is extremely polarizing. It was made from the get-go to be for tournament players only. Those other games win out in terms of amount of content, casual appeal and user friendliness. These games aren't judged based on which game is the "deepest" and has the most "hardcores", they're judged based on content, fun factor and value, like all other games. I've found people don't have fun with Skullgirls unless they're in it to win.

The game has a unique style, certainly, so it could win art praise based on that alone, but personally I'm of the opinion that this isn't necessarily a good in of itself. The Touhou games also have "unique" art.
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    I thought P4A was pretty terrible.

Also I actually think that SkullGirls is extremely accessible. If you get two people who have never played it, they will have a blast against each other.

But the skew comes from when people try to play people beyond their skill level, because its an honest game. They will get blown up and then they will be bitches and then complain the game isn't good because they can't win.

there are some pretty beastly people online, so its likely their first experience playing online will them be them going through a meat processing machine.

Things like how deep and solid gameplay is has more value then character variety, user friendliness (aka, people not willing to man up and accept a challenge), and casual appeal.
    as you should.
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,025
    Oh come on, let's get real here, Skullgirls doesn't deserve to win at all. I mean, it was a cute effort, and took great strides to be driven by the community, but you really think it's a better game than P4A and TTT2? Like, seriously, objectively speaking. It only has 8 characters and a bunch of plagiarized elements from other games, and its art style is extremely polarizing. It was made from the get-go to be for tournament players only. Those other games win out in terms of amount of content, casual appeal and user friendliness. These games aren't judged based on which game is the "deepest" and has the most "hardcores", they're judged based on content, fun factor and value, like all other games. I've found people don't have fun with Skullgirls unless they're in it to win.

The game has a unique style, certainly, so it could win art praise based on that alone, but personally I'm of the opinion that this isn't necessarily a good in of itself. The Touhou games also have "unique" art.
    So you basically took what I said exactly and wrote it into two paragraphs?

It wasn't going to win because regardless of how solid the game is, the voting is done by the general public.
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
    Also I actually think that SkullGirls is extremely accessible. If you get two people who have never played it, they will have a blast against each other.

In that case, the same is true for any fighting game.
    Things like how deep and solid gameplay is has more value then character variety, user friendliness (aka, people not willing to man up and accept a challenge), and casual appeal.

I don't agree with this at all. I think the amount of value in fighting games comes from how easy it is to pick up and play, how much content it has, and how fun it is at low levels. This is why I think games like Smash Bros., TTT2 and Power Stone are way better than crazy anime fighters, they're just more stupid and fun. Hitting more of these checkboxes is how you get more recognition, accolades and sales. I think Skullgirls did nearly everything wrong in this regard.
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    Am I the only one out there who doesn't think BB is all that accessible?

I mean, yeah, the tutorial and shit, but like, in an arcade.
    If you get two people who have never played it, they will have a blast against each other.
    I'd like to see stats on that.
    My sample size of 1 disagrees. But a sample size of 1 tells nothing.

Either way, I ordered P4A. Playing through the story mode and whatever other non-PvP modes there are should at least force me to use my fightstick and get used to it more. By the time that's over hopefully I can decide whether I wanna go for the sanwa parts or just stick to a pad.
    So, alot of people don't like SG because it's too honest?

Yeah, I can see that.
    2/10

Good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you-1.jpeg
    In that case, the same is true for any fighting game.

I don't agree with this at all. I think the amount of value in fighting games comes from how easy it is to pick up and play, how much content it has, and how fun it is at low levels. This is why I think games like Smash Bros. and Power Stone are way better than crazy anime fighters. Hitting more of these checkboxes is how you get more recognition, accolades and sales. I think Skullgirls did just about everything wrong.

I agree with the first part.

As for the second part, its just clear that we are looking at it from value from different perspectives. You are looking it from a sales and commercial perspective, in which case I think you are right.

I am considering it from the mechanics and technical point of view. My favorite games of all time are ST and Treasure games like Astro Boy, Gunstar Heroes and Ikaruga. I am trying to measure the success of the games by their technical mechanics and design, which I think Skull Girls excels at.

But the fact it doesn't have any male characters and it has a more drastic art style definitely dooms it to not be a commercial success.