(11/20 PSN!) SG: Slightly Different Edition patch notes...

Comments

• xTheRadioStarxTheRadioStar Joined: Posts: 8
    You know what, I hope this patch doesn't come out. I've become obsessed with the idea of a patch, and not the patch itself. Once it has come, my obsession will be unfulfilled and I will feel empty. My habitual "is it here yet?" visits to this thread will cease to have meaning, as, too, will my life.

/reversepsychology
  • djunuudjunuu NADIA BUSINESS Joined: Posts: 60
    You know what, I hope this patch doesn't come out. I've become obsessed with the idea of a patch, and not the patch itself. Once it has come, my obsession will be unfulfilled and I will feel empty. My habitual "is it here yet?" visits to this thread will cease to have meaning, as, too, will my life.

/reversepsychology

That was like me and Katawa Shoujo
  • RoZay706RoZay706 Joined: Posts: 1
    So has anybody found any new tech?
  • Y2RyokoY2Ryoko Joined: Posts: 112

I like using assists to make obnoxious, sometimes impractical combos. Like doing a long Painwheel combo into Gae Bolga L + Parasoul's Egret Charge, ghost ride the bike and continue the combo in the corner. I think Painwheel x Parasoul have the best gimmicks.
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,686
    I have some burst baits for Peacock and reset ideas for Bella, plus a lot of PW stuff and assist synergy among the three. Waiting for life to come back to the Bella/Peacock forums before I bother to post it though, talking to yourself gets old after a while.
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,936 ✭✭
    I like using assists to make obnoxious, sometimes impractical combos. Like doing a long Painwheel combo into Gae Bolga L + Parasoul's Egret Charge, ghost ride the bike and continue the combo in the corner. I think Painwheel x Parasoul have the best gimmicks.

Nice concept
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,023
    Double snap combos for everyone, burst baits with Filia and Peacock...

Pretty much done finding tech for Fortune lol I might find something else.
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
    Double snap combos for everyone, burst baits with Filia and Peacock...

Pretty much done finding tech for Fortune lol I might find something else.

Shotgun and fake teleport baits?
    Shotgun and fake teleport baits?
    Actually real teleport baits. Remember, she can super cancel even during the invincible part of her teleport, so teleport, hold a little bit, Lenny DHC. The trick though is to do it late enough for Lenny to not be hit either by the burst, otherwise they're invincible.
  • ChapignonChapignon Joined: Posts: 3
    Hey guys, I'm pretty new around here, but I've been following Skullgirls for a while. Anyways, I think i found an unblockable. And I don't mean a high/low unblockable. Basically, I was trying to find uses for Parasoul's air down+mk momentum glitch midscreen and it hit when the dummy was set to block all. I tested it on all the characters, and the only one I couldn't get it to work on was Cerebella. Could somebody else test this? I just did dash, forward jump, down+mk from a whole ton of places until it worked.
  • CellsaiCellsai A Debby Downer Joined: Posts: 178
    Hey guys, I'm pretty new around here, but I've been following Skullgirls for a while. Anyways, I think i found an unblockable. And I don't mean a high/low unblockable. Basically, I was trying to find uses for Parasoul's air down+mk momentum glitch midscreen and it hit when the dummy was set to block all. I tested it on all the characters, and the only one I couldn't get it to work on was Cerebella. Could somebody else test this? I just did dash, forward jump, down+mk from a whole ton of places until it worked.
    Any chance of a video? Even a camcorder?
    Launch party erry day
    Cellsai.deviantART.com
  • djunuudjunuu NADIA BUSINESS Joined: Posts: 60
    Playing the patch at SCR definitely rekindled my love for Skullgirls. I want to play the patch now more than ever! Hopefully word gets back from Microsoft in two weeks and all the Xbox players can get some Based Broads on.
  • BrandXBrandX Spark for the future Joined: Posts: 677
    Playing the patch at SCR definitely rekindled my love for Skullgirls. I want to play the patch now more than ever! Hopefully word gets back from Microsoft in two weeks and all the Xbox players can get some Based Broads on.

I saw you on the stream! Great job on there :D

Even though In don't play on Xbox, I really with Microsoft hurries up so we can all enjoy the patch :(
    |||PSN: KingdomKeyGX|||
    Plays: Skullgirls
    Wants to help bring SkullGirls back!~ Uses a solo character: Fillia
    YouTube Channel: PhantomMinaX1
    Any chance of a video? Even a camcorder?
    Sorry, I have no recording equipment. Not even an iPhone or anything of the like. But trust me, it isn't that hard to do if you just keep going at it. And it isn't high execution either because I did it and my execution is pretty bad.
  • ZidianeZidiane HyperCharging YOLO STAR Joined: Posts: 1,222
    Sorry, I have no recording equipment. Not even an iPhone or anything of the like. But trust me, it isn't that hard to do if you just keep going at it. And it isn't high execution either because I did it and my execution is pretty bad.
    What exactly is it doing? Is it hitting on one side, then the other and the dummy refuses to block? Does it switch sides very quickly? Because if you cross the dummy up, there's a chance it won't block. What you are talking about, most likely, is not an unblockable, and would probably be blocked/blockable by a person.
    xbl/psn: Zidiane/zidiane5
    Skullgirls: Cerebella, SSB Melee: Kirby, Samus
    Ever wonder how to play Cerebella, of Skullgirls fame? Here's a guide I made!
    What exactly is it doing? Is it hitting on one side, then the other and the dummy refuses to block? Does it switch sides very quickly? Because if you cross the dummy up, there's a chance it won't block. What you are talking about, most likely, is not an unblockable, and would probably be blocked/blockable by a person.
    I know it isn't hitting on one side then the other, because it's only one hit. But the part about crossing the dummy up quickly makes sense. However, there were some times where I did cross up and it blocked normally. When I did this, it was almost exactly in the middle of their sprite. But either way, thanks for the information. If it isn't an unblockable, sorry for bringing it up.
    Ambiguous cross-up is still good.
  • Fatface McGrawFatface McGraw Joined: Posts: 48
    I found that you can make pushblock attempts much safer by releasing back when pressing PP, then immediately holding back / down back after. Since you can block out of forward dashes but not backdashes, you'll be able to block if your pushblock attempt fails and turns into a dash.

On an unrelated note, I found that since hairball can't be pushblocked in the middle, your point can still be pushblocked. Boo.
    PSN: SkippyMcYay
    I know what's going on. It's not an unblockable, and Fortune has one too.

Here's what happens. The computer will start to block but you will cross over basically on the frame were it would come into contact, after preblock frames. Mind you, if the computer was holding forward to block, he would've blocked it. That's pretty much as ambiguous a crossup as it will get.
  • BlandaidBlandaid Joined: Posts: 56
    I know what's going on. It's not an unblockable, and Fortune has one too.

Here's what happens. The computer will start to block but you will cross over basically on the frame were it would come into contact, after preblock frames. Mind you, if the computer was holding forward to block, he would've blocked it. That's pretty much as ambiguous a crossup as it will get.

You're talking about the launch>superjump>instant air dash>j.HK crossunder right?
    You're talking about the launch>superjump>instant air dash>j.HK crossunder right?
    Interesting, but I'm talking about a plain IAD j.LP.

Basically it happens with any normal that has a wide range directly above or under it and carries horizontal momentum. In both our cases it comes from air dashing, in his case from a dash jump.
  • DravidianDravidian He who is CAT Joined: Posts: 702
    Or you could buy a powerline networking adapter.

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/gaming-accessories/rf-guv1124.html

There's no excuse for playing wireless.
    This is kinda late, but I'm looking into buying something like this. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm no longer in my dorm and I'm not about to run a giant cable through the house (router is 2 1/2 floors up).

I've played online a few times at home and have had moderate success with closer opponents like guitalex, but further ones occasionally lag (horribly) due to either dropped packages or signal strength (my bars vary from 2 to 4). If something like that product gives me the consistency I want, I'll be very happy.
    PSN:NeoDeoN; CapcomUnity:Steelballed Dravidian; Tales forum: Dravidian
    Fighting Games I'm playing: UMVC3, SCV, SFIIIOE, and Skullgirls
  • BuffaloBuffalo The Totally Fab Bison Joined: Posts: 138
    I tried one of those a few years back, not sure what brand, but my experiences weren't very good. I never really got a good connection and it often cut out at random. Wouldn't recommend.
    If you come at me on some disrespectful shit and you're within arm's reach, anyone can get slapped.

SG - Filia/Parasoul | TTT2 - Jun/Ling | MK9 - Sonya, Jade, Kitana
  • 2Chep2Chep She's Clawwwwsome. Joined: Posts: 189
    I have been using one for over a year now I think, get it. My online experience is so much better now.
    "We got Chilldog using dat ACME tech, putting 'im in da Looney Toons blockstrings" Oh god yes.

SG - Filia/Fortune/Parasoul
    So, gonna pull an Oil R here. Any news on the xbl patch yet, or is it still a hopeless wait? Wondering if I should just drop SG completely and move on.
  • DudeDude Joined: Posts: 199 ✭✭
    Last I heard they had found a workaround for the patch size limitation and the ball is back in Microsoft's court. But why drop SG completely? Even if it takes a few more months for the patch to drop (and I really hope that's not the case) you can always pick it back up then. Or just wait for the PC port. We know that's coming after all.
    Dude wrote: »
    Last I heard they had found a workaround for the patch size limitation and the ball is back in Microsoft's court. But why drop SG completely? Even if it takes a few more months for the patch to drop (and I really hope that's not the case) you can always pick it back up then. Or just wait for the PC port. We know that's coming after all.

Waiting since July to now is enough for me, tbh. Would probably be easier to just forget it completely until xbl patch finally drops instead of checking back every other week to see if anything is new, but if this is basically the last fighter I have any real interest in and I'm gonna forget it for x months, I'm better off just dropping out and moving on.

That makes no sense to me, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion I suppose.
  • Motch420Motch420 Joined: Posts: 41
    i honestly dont think i could just drop this game and forget it i have it for xbl and still constantly go back to it, its very rare u find a 2d animation fighting game that is as smooth and well made as skullgirls, on top of that the art style is pretty sexy, and thats another thing that keeps me coming back to it. aslong as i know the patch is coming, ill still play it. just bring on squigly and what ever else is up theirs sleeves and ill be happy
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    is the ps3 demo running patched Skullgirls?
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • ZidianeZidiane HyperCharging YOLO STAR Joined: Posts: 1,222
    Mr. X wrote: »
    is the ps3 demo running patched Skullgirls?
    Yes. Because they updated it, and changed the characters you can use before buying, so I'm pretty sure that means it's patched.
    xbl/psn: Zidiane/zidiane5
    Skullgirls: Cerebella, SSB Melee: Kirby, Samus
    Ever wonder how to play Cerebella, of Skullgirls fame? Here's a guide I made!
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX Flawless Prosecutor. Joined: Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motch420 said:
    i honestly dont think i could just drop this game and forget it i have it for xbl and still constantly go back to it, its very rare u find a 2d animation fighting game that is as smooth and well made as skullgirls, on top of that the art style is pretty sexy, and thats another thing that keeps me coming back to it. aslong as i know the patch is coming, ill still play it. just bring on squigly and what ever else is up theirs sleeves and ill be happy
    IMO whenever a patch is coming I stop playing until it comes out. That way I can partially forget my old stuff, and my mind will be open to some of the newer stuff my characters can do. I did the same with SFxTK and I wasn't as annoyed with how new Juri works on 2013. 

Also i'm doing this so I can work on Filia and Squigly at the same time. 

SG slightly different edition! Coming to an xbox near you! Look out for it in 2014............maybe.....possibly, don't count on it.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho

/reversepsychology
    I'm still patiently waiting. I'm going to buy a new stick with my tax refund this year, and will most likely only use it on skullgirls. It's the only fighting game I have that seems worth investing time and money in. I'm in love with every character (fighting style), the engine, the art, everything... I've been casually playing fighters since SSF2 on my uncle's SNES when I was a kid, and no game save this one has captured me.
    SG isn't the olny fighter I find worthy of my time, but It's my favorite fighter this gen hands down.
    The wait wouldn't be so bad if GG online wasn't dead too. I guess GGPO is always an option.
  • KawalornKawalorn Joined: Posts: 70
    Respect. I hope it wouldn't end up in a serious lawsuit tough. That's kinda the last thing you need. :P
  • Number 13Number 13 The Courage to Skullgirl Joined: Posts: 1,545
    Don't Jinx it... I recall hearing about the patch launching before September as a joke too >.<
    Currently Played Fighters [other alias: HooliganComboFTW]
    Persona 4 Arena: Yu Narukami Skullgirls: Solo Filia SSFIV AE: Cammy Dead or Alive 5: Hitomi/Rig
    KoF XIII : K'/Athena/Terry SoulCaliber V: Siegfried Tekken 6: Lili/Lars SF3OE: Alex SSF2HDRMX: Cammy
    Mike_Z said:
    SG slightly different edition! Coming to an xbox near you! Look out for it in 2014............maybe.....possibly, don't count on it.
    If it isn't out on XBox by May I'm leaking it myself.  >.<  I remember joking in October that it was going to come out in Japan before it came out on XBox and now...profound sadness...
    Any thing else you can legally tell us about the process? I know in my heart you guys are doing everything possible, but sometimes I need to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    Mike is gonna get kidnapped by Bill Gates's secret ninjas.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
    Mr. X said:
    That gives me an idea! Bill Gates will be on UT campus soon... I should kidnap him and force the patch through!
    Mr. X said:
    That gives me an idea! Bill Gates will be on UT campus soon... I should kidnap him and force the patch through!
    I can only like that comment. I would agree with it, but in the off chance that you actually try and fail, I can always say that I never agreed with your actions should uncle sam find me.
    lol
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Mike_Z wrote: »
    If it isn't out on XBox by May I'm leaking it myself.  >.<  I remember joking in October that it was going to come out in Japan before it came out on XBox and now...profound sadness...
    Slightly related question: When the X-Box patch finally drops, how soon after would we be able to hand over our cash for DLC colors on PSN?
    Post edited by ukyo_rulz on
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX Flawless Prosecutor. Joined: Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Mike_Z said:
    I just seen that I was replied to. I love the new notification system. But anyway how would you even go about leaking the patch personally? I didn't even know that could be done. Or would explaining it where everyone can see give Microsoft ninjas a chance to foil your plans? 
    Post edited by XthAtGAm3RGuYX on
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • j13901j13901 PSN: CrossRhythm Joined: Posts: 422
    Skullgirls has been nominated on the PSN Gamer's Choice Awards for Best Competitive multiplayer. Everybody go vote! and if you've got two psn accounts, vote twice!
    Patron Saint of Skullgirls
    j13901 said:
    Skullgirls has been nominated on the PSN Gamer's Choice Awards for Best Competitive multiplayer. Everybody go vote! and if you've got two psn accounts, vote twice!

I have three....my past fails are really coming in handy lol!
    edited February 2013
    I guess I'm a slowpoke here, but the new patch removed some pretty grimy throw resets. I think it has to do with the new input leniency.

It used to be that whiffing a move in front of your opponent as they come out of hitstun or blockstun would immediately cause them to go into preblock animations. It was significant because it grounded the opponent even if they were attempting to chicken block. The opponent could still jump by changing the jump direction or by just tapping up-back, but braindead chicken blocking could not get you off the ground. This meant that any throw assist could be used to craft a reset that the opponent had to either tech(only against regular throws), reversal out of, or jump on reaction.  

For example, a Cerebella on point could do  COMBO xx Call Assist xx HP Lock n' Load. LnL causes preblock during startup, so it keeps the opponent grounded while an assist scoops em up. 

Anyway, the patch allows chicken blockers to get off the ground immediately after coming out of hit/blockstun. I'm assuming it has to do with the new input leniency window basically buffering the up-back input. On the bright side, this means chicken blockers immediately enter the hit-vulnerable jump animation after exiting hitstun (i.e they will always be hit by frametraps).

EDIT: NEVERMIND, I'm dumb and bad with training mode. You can still force dudes holding up-back to stay grounded, nothing has changed. Chicken blocking in front of a move as you come out of hitstun keeps you grounded. However, chicken blocking out of blockstun makes you jump immediately and leaves you vulnerable to frametraps.

Post edited by Blandaid on
    ^ Opponent can just hold up and avoid pre-block animation completely.
    edited February 2013
    view619 said:
    ^ Opponent can just hold up and avoid pre-block animation completely.
    uhh yes and no. 

Yes, by holding up instead of upback you may avoid getting grabbed. But you may not necessarily avoid getting reset. Any whiffed move can force the opponent into preblock so long as its sufficiently close. This includes attacks that control vertical space and will tag people who neutral or forward jump. 

For example, say if Fortune does a combo, calls grab assist, and whiffs HK fiber upper. Holding up or up-forward will have you hop straight into the attack. Every character can do likewise just by calling assist and doing j.HP/j.HK/whatever, so just neutral jumping isn't enough.

Heck you don't even need a move that'll whiff. Just do ground chain > call assist > slight pause > launcher. Chicken blockers go into preblock due to the launcher's start up and get snatched by assist; neutral jumps dodge the grab and get tagged by launcher. The timing will be a bit tricky since the assist needs to become active before the attack, but its a brand of resets that covers several options.

Post edited by Blandaid on