The Birth of True Skullgirls Combat: Fugazi

Broseidon RexBroseidon Rex God of the BroceanJoined: Posts: 118
On an undetermined night at Evo2012, a group of Skullgirls player stumbled upon a new form of fighting. Eschewing non-essential parts of the game such at "grabs", "hit-confirms", and "air combos", they have distilled the game into its most basic and brutal form: punching people in the face. Enter Fugazi!

Fugazi is played by both characters creating a two person team of Double and Cerebella. The Cerebella assist is set as forward + s.HP (Titan Knuckle) and Double's assist as s.HP (Fugazi Knuckle). Match time should be set to infinite since a pure game like Fugazi must not allow such petty things to interfere.

After the ceremonial shaking of hands and announcement that this is indeed Fugazi, select a stage and prepare yourself for in Fugazi, only the two mentioned moves are allowed to be used. Use of any other move that hits results in great shame and a free Fugazi by the opponent. Accidental supers (hit or not) result in the offender being Fugazied three times. Assists are allowed and encouraged to be used (should you actually know how to use an assist...). Raw tag-ins would result in moves other than Fugazi to be used and are banned from usage. However, alpha counters would result in the use of Fugazi and are considered Kosher and legal.

During the proceedings of Fugazi, it is encouraged by everyone (or elected representatives) to make random baby sounds and yell Fugazi at appropriate moments. Though not necessary, Fugazi does support the EVO economy through its money matches and is encouraged.

The following video shows the first official match of Fugazi, while play testing and brainstorming of rules was first done mid-match during Fugazi.

·

Comments

• girlystylegirlystyle Only plays Fugazi Joined: Posts: 1,804
    abooooobababoooboboboboababababoooooo fugazi
    people only pay attention to me because of my vagina awesome penis
    ·
  • OsbjornOsbjorn Please accept this gift from my people Joined: Posts: 411
    Dive Fist
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3: Viper/dante/strider viper/frank west/dante magneto/frank west dante
    Sfxt: Paul, Law, Bob, Guy, Heihachi, Ken
    Skullgirls: parasoul
    ·
  • deice-deice- kimchi yokatta darou Joined: Posts: 596
    Oh my lord, we have Fugazi footsies!
    SSF4: Juri BBCSEX: Λ-11 AH3: Nazuna MBAACC: F-Hime SG: Valentine/Squigly/Parasoul
    本番はこれからだったのに, もう限界? - honban wa korekara datta no ni, mou genkai?
    ·
  • CHIEFxIRONLUNGCHIEFxIRONLUNG Squaresoft purist. Joined: Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Minor Threat was better ;)
    its not fine, but at least it makes sense. your a fucking retard if you cant even grasp that. only a retard would die for people they dont even know to increase these peoples bank accounts. now why dont you go and applie to the army retard, you would fit in quite nicely with the rest of them ignorant bitches.
    ·

maybe, if you are 'one of THOSE guys'.

I PLAY REAL GAMES
    ·
  • Broseidon RexBroseidon Rex God of the Brocean Joined: Posts: 118
    Never heard of this Minor Threat game. Can you post evidence of its existence?

But it still is in vain for only Fugazi is the truest fighter.
    ·
  • RustyShacklefurdRustyShacklefurd Donkey Kong Engineer Joined: Posts: 594
    Fugazi (edited for boldness to convey the utmost of seriousness that is Fugazi) suite next year, make it happen. Also I forgot to ask you about that Thor shirt you had; who, what, where, when, why, and how much?
    PSN: RustyShacklefurd
    Steam: Weatherbee
    ·
    I was just about to post details on a suite.

Next year I will do better to organize a suite IN ADVANCE.
    At this suite we will have SG casuals, MM, and runbacks.

As a special event, everyone who comes to the suite will put their names in a hat.
    Two names will be drawn, and they will be forced to money match one another in a sacred game of Fugazi.
    Side bets MUST be had.

The winner will win their dolla dolla bills, and will invited to join the illustrious Fugazi Illuminati, which is signified by a high five in the bathroom and the ceremonial 'placing of the hat'.

I am currently working on making said hats for founding members Severin, KenInBlack, Broseidon, and myself.

only one OFFICIAL Fugazi battle will be had a year.

FUGAZI ON MY BROTHERS!

Aaaaaaaboooobabzaboo,

FI GirlyStyle
    ·
  • Bad Lt.Bad Lt. Joined: Posts: 878
    So, this is what happens when white hipsters try to mimic Yipes?

I'm sure Ian MacKaye is honored by the way.
    Me: 1
    Conrad Birmingham: 0
    ·
    So, this is what happens when white hipsters try to mimic Yipes?

I'm sure Ian MacKaye is honored by the way.

people who call others hipsters unwarranted in the FGC have always been fat neck bearded virgins who are jealous of others ability to get some and play Fugazi.

Can't kill the fun buddy ;)
    ·
  • Squire GrooktookSquire Grooktook The Releaser Joined: Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    What does the word fugazi mean?
    Squire Grooktook: 5 dollars extra and you could have had Skullgirls instead of Divekick.
    Squire Grooktook: You are dead to me.
    [UCF]psychoripper: too bad i wanted divekick more
    Squire Grooktook: YOU SUCK
    [UCF]psychoripper: more of my local friends are playing it
    Squire Grooktook: SOCIAL GAMER
    [UCF]psychoripper: shut up
    Squire Grooktook: NEVER
    ·
    ·
    IAN MACKAYE EDGE WATCH 2012
    its not fine, but at least it makes sense. your a fucking retard if you cant even grasp that. only a retard would die for people they dont even know to increase these peoples bank accounts. now why dont you go and applie to the army retard, you would fit in quite nicely with the rest of them ignorant bitches.
    ·
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,766 mod
    I can't decide if this is goddamn brilliant, or if you guys have ruined the game forever... o_o
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

·
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    "Military slang meaning 'Fucked up situation'"
    Haha, that's great.
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
    ·
    Girlystyle & Broseidon Rex:

I am almost certain that a concept called Google exists. Here's the kicker, it'll recite all desired information as needed. Pretty fucking sweet, eh?

Fugazi is a weak band, ergo a weak game by default.
    ·
    What does the word fugazi mean?
    I've heard it could be referencing an old movie called Donnie Brasco, where a diamond is considered fake, or Fugazi.
    In this light, it's a clever reference to Cerebella's (aka the "Diamond Dynamo") Titan Knuckle since Double's is "Fugazi Knuckle" or "Fake Knuckle"

Not 100% sure, but it seems reasonable.
    I can decide. this is goddamn brilliant
    Don't worry, Duckie, fixed it for you.
    ·

I am almost certain that a concept called Google exists. Here's the kicker, it'll recite all desired information as needed. Pretty fucking sweet, eh?

Fugazi means "fake diamond", which makes sense contextually to the game since its an imitation move of Cerebella, who is all about dem diamonds.

Your pun was weak, a stretch at best, and took more dots to connect then a google search, which was the first thing I did, then stopped caring.

EDIT: looked up the band, you are right they are shit. they tarnish the name of Fugazi
    ·

Wasn't thinking that Minor Threat would be referring to a band, so ignored the top google hits. Sorry about that.
    ·
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭
    goddamn it i wish id made it to that salty suite now.
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
    ·
  • Age_of_FoolsAge_of_Fools Joined: Posts: 705
    Beginner's Guide to Cerebella
    Cerebella mixup video
    XBL: Age of Fools [Cerebella/Double/Parasoul/Painwheel]
    "i mean look the length of your post…" -Dime X
    ·
    Holy trial of Fugazi
    Well done acolyte. We look forward towards your upward ascension among the members of Fugazi. May your Fugazi land in the opponent's face.
    ·
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,023
    Still deeper than Dive Kick.
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
    ·
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,766 mod
    Still deeper than Dive Kick.
    Let's not turn this thread into that damn argument again, okay?
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

·
  • Phillies64Phillies64 Insert Title Here Joined: Posts: 129
    your video

Double Fugazi at 3:32!
    ·
  • HavatchuHavatchu Joined: Posts: 4,734
    I'm sorry, but I feel compelled to say this is incredibly stupid inane (see, I'm being polite.)

Why would anyone want to do this?

I really would like to know.

I'll play nice, I promise, I'm not trying to be an asshole.
    Insanity is freedom
    The moment I fell in love with specs- "I believe in the Beyblader philosophy, for I am one who Beyblades."
    Shaft's posts are canon.
    ·
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,023
    Let's not turn this thread into that damn argument again, okay?
    You must have nuked every mention of it since this is the first time I've walked in here and no one has mentioned it lol
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
    ·
    I'm sorry, but I feel compelled to say this is incredibly stupid.
    Why would anyone want to do this?
    I really would like to know.
    It's almost like a western showdown since it's all about timing and tension. In those movies, why don't they all just start shooting immediately? Is it because they think they'll miss? Because they know that at a certain point, the opponent may not be 100% focused? Fugazi is a side game where you aren't worried about combos (though they are possible) but more about feeling out the opponent, baiting them to mess up, and timing your punishable hits appropriately.

Plus, Ken in Black commentating and lack of sleep helped make it hilarious.
    ·
    It's almost like a western showdown since it's all about timing and tension. In those movies, why don't they all just start shooting immediately? Is it because they think they'll miss? Because they know that at a certain point, the opponent may not be 100% focused? Fugazi is a side game where you aren't worried about combos (though they are possible) but more about feeling out the opponent, baiting them to mess up, and timing your punishable hits appropriately.

Plus, Ken in Black commentating and lack of sleep helped make it hilarious.

I kinda get it now, reminds me of that Kirby Samurai game in Kirby Super All Stars or whatever it was called.

I think the thing that weirded me out most was the fact that you actively are ignoring aspects of the game that could be used instead of just playing a game with similar mechanics,such as DiveKick, but oh well.
    Insanity is freedom
    The moment I fell in love with specs- "I believe in the Beyblader philosophy, for I am one who Beyblades."
    Shaft's posts are canon.
    ·
    I kinda get it now, reminds me of that Kirby Samurai game in Kirby Super All Stars or whatever it was called.
    Actually did think of that, yes.
    I think the thing that weirded me out most was the fact that you actively are ignoring aspects of the game that could be used instead of just playing a game with similar mechanics,such as DiveKick, but oh well.
    I was gonna write it in the previous post (but didn't) that this is not supposed to replace Skullgirls, just be an important side-game to the regular action. Plus, in DiveKick, you have to worry about 2 dimensional attacks (horizontal and vertical). In Fugazi, there is only one dimension where attacks are possible (horizontal).

Hopefully, Fugazi will become a full-fledged side option in the game, to prevent un-initiated members from being Fugazied without warning.
    ·
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    Fun little side action?

Sure.

Important?

Don't kid yourself lol.
    ·
    Fun little side action?
    Sure.
    Important?
    Don't kid yourself lol.
    Are you on Xbox, because you're asking for a Fugazi to the face with the second part of that post.
    ·
  • zferoliezferolie Hello Nurse! Joined: Posts: 1,406
    .... and I thought Dive kick was stupid...

I'm sorry, I just do not GET this at all. Where is the humor? Where is the... ANYTHING?!
    ·
    Are you on Xbox, because you're asking for a Fugazi to the face with the second part of that post.

Get me matches of you actually playing the game of its own merits before you start crafting anything with this Fugazi business.
    ·
  • JBGoldenJBGolden Joined: Posts: 246

Ok, seriously, doing fun side games is awesome.

But you're really about to run a joke into the ground if you keep acting this way.
    ·
    Get me matches of you actually playing the game of its own merits before you start crafting anything with this Fugazi business.
    That's why I'm asking if you would like to participate in a match. I don't want to do match of it with someone if they don't want to.
    Ok, seriously, doing fun side games is awesome.
    But you're really about to run a joke into the ground if you keep acting this way.
    Fine, I'll apply the brakes a little bit.
    ·
  • CallistoCallisto Chicago's Freest Joined: Posts: 1,601 ✭✭
    FUUGGAAAAZZZZIIII

XBL: BG Callisto

YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSassageKing
    Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/bgcallisto

USF4 Sakura Combo Compendium Companion Blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thesassageking

·
    FUUGGAAAAZZZZIIII

Favorite song by them is Facet Squared. Good shit.
    Insanity is freedom
    Shaft's posts are canon.
    ·
  • keninblackkeninblack Joined: Posts: 3,474
    Hahahahahahahaha <3

Did not expect this xD
    ·
  • Gamegenie222Gamegenie222 Joined: Posts: 124
    Make this into a drinking game then we'll talk.
    ·
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised at the backlash.

You guys never fucked around with 1 button matches in a fighting game before or just think pretending to be a snob is clever?
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
    ·

You guys never fucked around with 1 button matches in a fighting game before

No, I really never did. *Shrugs*
    Insanity is freedom
    Shaft's posts are canon.
    ·

You guys never fucked around with 1 button matches in a fighting game before or just think pretending to be a snob is clever?

Honestly, no I never did either. I've done near death matches (where both start out at no health) but that happened once and I never bothered with it again.

:S
    ·
    Make this into a drinking game then we'll talk.

if you get hit by fugazi, you drink. if you hit someone with fugazi, you drink.

done.
    ·
  • CallistoCallisto Chicago's Freest Joined: Posts: 1,601 ✭✭
    The best part of Fugazi is that I'm the best at Fugazi

XBL: BG Callisto

YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSassageKing
    Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/bgcallisto

USF4 Sakura Combo Compendium Companion Blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thesassageking

·
    if you get hit by fugazi, you drink. if you hit someone with fugazi, you drink.

done.
    These hits also include your assist getting hit. What would be a reasonable consequence for someone getting a 3 hit combo (it is possible) or a 4 hit (haven't seen it yet) using fugazi?

Thank you. I was quite worried no one was getting that.
    ·
  • Uncivilized ElkUncivilized Elk Joined: Posts: 713
    I like no health death matches because it actually feels like a western shoot out.

Knowing that if you fuck up once, you are dead. It has that exhilarating thing going on.
    PSN: Uncivilized_Elk
    ·
    BROTHER AND SISTERS, THE TIME IS AT HAND. FOR THOSE WANTING TO PRACTICE THE WAY OF FUGAZI, I WILL BE GOING ON IN A SHORT WHILE TO CREATE A PRACTICE SESSION ON XBL (ID: Broseidon Rex) AS CASUAL FOR AN HOUR. IF NO ONE CHALLENGES, I WILL SIMPLY READ EDGAR ALLEN POE IN PEACE. THE CHOICE IS YOURS, FUGAZI OR NOGAZI?
    ·
  • Ben PerkinsBen Perkins Joined: Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BROTHER AND SISTERS, THE TIME IS AT HAND. FOR THOSE WANTING TO PRACTICE THE WAY OF FUGAZI, I WILL BE GOING ON IN A SHORT WHILE TO CREATE A PRACTICE SESSION ON XBL (ID: Broseidon Rex) AS CASUAL FOR AN HOUR. IF NO ONE CHALLENGES, I WILL SIMPLY READ EDGAR ALLEN POE IN PEACE. THE CHOICE IS YOURS, FUGAZI OR NOGAZI?

Can you/will you Streamgazi?
    ·
    Can you/will you Streamgazi?
    I cannot. But should someone actually want to Fugazi, I will do my best to record.
    ·