What it will take to put Skullgirls on the main stage at EVO next year

Comments

• xesxes Evil Forrest Gump Joined: Posts: 2,528
    Well don't give up yet!

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express
  • AyakashiAyakashi Joined: Posts: 7
    If it will take to put SG on EVO of next years,I want to join it and My friend too!
    because Japan has a few tornament……
    so,there is a lot of paticipants in Japnan,possibly.
    I have a litlle power,but I tring hard in order to spread this game. because I love SG,and this is good game.
    Please recommend to your friend.
    This game is not popular now. but if you recommend your friend,parhaps your friend recomend your fiend`s friend.
    If it does so,SG may become more popular and put on EVO!
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,239
    Thinking seriously, and NOT wanting to get into the 'you know what' debate again, you're a lot more clued in than I am... Do you think the issues around the games visual design could actually get in the way of Skullgirls getting that Evo slot?

They seem really image-conscious, which is what made me wonder.

Have you seen what the clothing damage on the MK females looks like?
    You did not go back in time, this is how the forums look.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • JakeWasHereJakeWasHere FGC N3wb Joined: Posts: 296
    If it will take to put SG on EVO of next years,I want to join it and My friend too!
    because Japan has a few tornament……
    so,there is a lot of paticipants in Japnan,possibly.
    I have a litlle power,but I tring hard in order to spread this game. because I love SG,and this is good game.
    Please recommend to your friend.
    This game is not popular now. but if you recommend your friend,parhaps your friend recomend your fiend`s friend.
    If it does so,SG may become more popular and put on EVO!

I heard that somebody from Reverge came to Tokyo for the most recent Final Round Bats event (was that yesterday?) and brought a copy of Skullgirls with them for the casual events. Apparently it got a lot of attention.

Now I wonder if the Japanese translation will include a voice dub... Do you think that might help it to sell in Japan?
    (Hidden for space concerns and for being less relevant...)

Here's something that would be hilarious: The English cast of Skullgirls includes half the cast of the English version of Madoka Magica, so I'd like to see these Japanese VA's:

Yuuki Aoi as Filia
    Saitou Chiwa as Cerebella
    Kitamura Eri as Peacock
  • SynraiiSynraii Inputs ultra, gets EX DP. Joined: Posts: 37
    What will it take for SG to get a main at EVO?

EVO people to stop dickriding anything made by capcom and ditching the abomination called SFxT.
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,176
    The Art Direction lacks appeal to large audience. I don't think Skullgirls is a bad game, I wouldn't know because I've only spent maybe an hour with it. But from the beginning I think thepromotional art looking similar in style to Diner Dash or some casual Zynga Game turned off a lot of people from wanting to play it. I was never excited by the game due to the art style, but gave it chance due to the good design decisions. But I stopped playing it when it seemed like the community wasn't going to be around for the long haul.
  • SteelyHawkeSteelyHawke Get down to business Joined: Posts: 1,146
    No. If Evolution can run a game with fatalities a bunch of titties aren't going to ruin anyone's day.
    Don't you live in the US? Titties ruin everyone's day here. Violence is A-okay though!

;)
  • alonzoramonalonzoramon Joined: Posts: 32
    every chick in mortal kombat has their tits out. not only that but the cloths even get ripped. i dont think what their wearing matters ether.

their is visually nothing wrong with this game. people need to get over stuff that dosent matter and just play.
    look for the ayzo
  • shiningnegroshiningnegro Joined: Posts: 1,289
    What will it take for SG to get a main at EVO?

EVO people to stop dickriding anything made by capcom and ditching the abomination called SFxT.

I don't think they were necessarily riding capcom but just their general popularity within the community, just look at SF4 and MVC3. But everyone saw what happened at EVO, SFxT did bad was shunned to the side and generally un-hype there was some cool stuff during the finals.

I'm more worried about EVO going back to 5 games meaning less chance for skullgirls really with all the games and promos for future titles that last day was too long, imagine if they put actual top 8 of SFxT like they were suppose to since it was a main game, we still be there now!!?!! joke joke but serious
    Lone Wolf Pack Interactive (New Indie Game Company)
    PSN: OneNappyNinja
    Main Games: TTT2 (Mains - Lily/Bruce) & SSF4:AE2012 (Main - Ibuki)
    SRK Fairy Gym Leader (Wifi) Friend Code: 1693-0954-9411
  • SynraiiSynraii Inputs ultra, gets EX DP. Joined: Posts: 37
    Well if they go to 5 games:

SSFIV
    TTT2
    uMVC3
    Are basically garunteed. SCV will most likely hit the main stage again, which leaves one spot, meaning skullgirls would need to be ahead of KOFXIII, MK9, VF5 and DOA5 amongst others.
  • ectomimedbisonectomimedbison Joined: Posts: 86
    this game could use some fabricated hype

reverge should convince daigo (with a nice paycheck?) to say "skullgirls is my favorite game and america is bad at it, see you at evo!"
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    Skullgirls is too cartoony/goofy, let go play SF4. (insert bulging eyes Ryu)
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
  • Nini HeartNini Heart Red Pill Joined: Posts: 6,609
    It'd take a lot of money, that's for sure
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    I ♥ Me
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    fabricated hype is the worse, its like the WWE or Jago vs Mike Ross....WWESports!!

There needs to be more media for this game in general im suprised more people aren't streaming their online sessions, or when skullgirls is on stream get people who actually know the game on the mic to commentate to push positive stuff.
  • mcpeanutsmcpeanuts Joined: Posts: 287
    fabricated hype is the worse, its like the WWE or Jago vs Mike Ross....WWESports!!

There needs to be more media for this game in general im suprised more people aren't streaming their online sessions, or when skullgirls is on stream get people who actually know the game on the mic to commentate to push positive stuff.
    jmcrofts streams Skullgirls all the time. We just need to figure out some way to get people to watch it. It's always just me and like three other dudes in the stream chat.
    jmcrofts streams Skullgirls all the time. We just need to figure out some way to get people to watch it. It's always just me and like three other dudes in the stream chat.

i know there is a guy on my follows i think is williamssessions or something along that line that does the stream his online sessions and like its the same like 2-3 others in chat.

Now that's the thing what is the way to bring people together?
  • ironboy89ironboy89 Beep Boop Beep Joined: Posts: 4,665
    this game could use some fabricated hype

reverge should convince daigo (with a nice paycheck?) to say "skullgirls is my favorite game and america is bad at it, see you at evo!"
    I don't see the point of Jago/Mike Ross hype. First off SG has no popular heads(One of the BIGGEST thing this game should focus. ) to create some universal twitter trending bullcrap like say........Raffles. Just because you create drama doesn't really mean that everybody will know about it *Point to some numerous hilarious MK9 drama. It's really funny*. .

I feel like Skullgirl is better off creating it's own scene then creating fake hype. I mean one of the thing KOF13 got for it is that they actually have KOF13 mainers that are well known(Hellpockets) commentating at EVO. If SG scene can do stuff like that, even the SG scene won't need to ask Mike Ross or Gooteck to advertise SG.
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,239
    I don't see the point of Jago/Mike Ross hype. First off SG has no popular heads(One of the BIGGEST thing this game should focus. ) to create some universal twitter trending bullcrap like say........Raffles. Just because you create drama doesn't really mean that everybody will know about it *Point to some numerous hilarious MK9 drama. It's really funny*. .

I feel like Skullgirl is better off creating it's own scene then creating fake hype. I mean one of the thing KOF13 got for it is that they actually have KOF13 mainers that are well known(Hellpockets) commentating at EVO. If SG scene can do stuff like that, even the SG scene won't need to ask Mike Ross or Gooteck to advertise SG.
    Skullgirls doesn't need to borrow heroes from other games :/

KoF has BALA, MK9 has PL, REO and CD jr

Skullgirls has a few hot names although Severin, Dacid and Omni are all BB players lol
    You did not go back in time, this is how the forums look.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • DRaGZ141DRaGZ141 Joined: Posts: 385
    Skullgirls has MikeZ. Seriously, he is the poster child for this game. Nearly every other player is completely overshadowed by the fact that a competitive player named MikeZ essentially built this game with one other guy and managed to get it released and taken as a seriously competitive game.
  • MWisk_2MWisk_2 Superduper Streamonster Joined: Posts: 1,042
    No. If Evolution can run a game with fatalities a bunch of titties aren't going to ruin anyone's day.

Exactly! This, this hypocrisy towards gender and sex in US society bugs me to no end.
    New account, orig '06, same Brazilian monster. Shoutouts to Team Sp00ky! PSN: marcushardle
    Skullgirls: Valentine/Filia or Valentine/Double Gimme Squigly Mike_Z
    KOFXIII: Yuri/King/Terry UMVC3: Wesker/Storm/Sentinel Felicia/Virgil/Wesker
    AE2012: Sakura (main), Oni (alt.) SFxTK: Poison/Julia
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    Skullgirls has MikeZ. Seriously, he is the poster child for this game. Nearly every other player is completely overshadowed by the fact that a competitive player named MikeZ essentially built this game with one other guy and managed to get it released and taken as a seriously competitive game.
    Yeah, it's quite a shame he can't enter a lot of tournaments.
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
  • Master_ChibiMaster_Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 15,066 mod
    I think we just need some time to set stuff like that up.

Like personally I think the NYC crew can wipe most of WC clean off the map.

:D
    ~*Hai! Back to Japan!
  • QETZLQETZL Needs more Salt. Joined: Posts: 494
    Hurrah! Community building.
    shotsfired.jpg
    CFN: THEBENWA
    I play Bison and when I win I slick my hair back and try to pop my pecs
    as you should.
  • ectomimedbisonectomimedbison Joined: Posts: 86
    i was joking about this game needing fabricated hype... sarcasm on the internet blah blah blah
  • MikeBreezy92MikeBreezy92 Too Good Joined: Posts: 348
    The game isn't aesthetically pleasing to most folks....basically the same reason peeps don't play Animu games. Doesn't matter if its good or not, if the player doesn't like the art style or the characters they aren't gonna pick it up, casual or hardcore.
    "JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!"-Kamina
  • Uncivilized ElkUncivilized Elk Joined: Posts: 713
    if the player doesn't like the art style or the characters they aren't gonna pick it up

I picked it up.
    PSN: Uncivilized_Elk
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 11,089
    ... sigh. fuck it. ill list the things that this game REALLY needs in order to be a contender, true things that DO influence player count:

1. more diverse roster (i only like painwheel... were it not for her i doubt i'd play this game) unfortunately we as players have no real ability to diversify the roster.. or do we? one way of diversifying the roster is making it seem that every character has a winning chance... and have winning chances is all about tech. the more tech we write up, the more videos we make that "spoonfeed" knowledge of how to play characters and teams, the more we will have outsiders look at the game and think "maybe i could get into that" and some of them will. but it wont be easy we have to create the tech and then dish it out in the most concise and entertaining way possible... can we do it? i dont know.

2. meetups at YOUR HOUSE.

yes, you have to be willing to put up YOUR PLACE or at least a venue that you can come up with where everyone can come and play. is this asking to much? it might be... but if it is then growing a scene is going to ridiculously hard simply cause you guys have no place to play at. valle opened up his house to wednesday night fights before wnf was wnf... i was there from the get go, we transferred to shgls garage for a few months, there were about 5 stations going at all times and about 30-40 players at all times... in a tiny ass garage.

3. the meetups HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT.

don, who runs dons arcade in torrance... a garage with a bunch of arcade machines and consoles to boot once asked me how he could get more people to come to his arcade (which no one besides myself, don and 2 other guys were going to)... my answer:

"just make sure you're consistent with opening times and opening days, that way people can plan ahead of time to be there" and "having top players there to play against is also a plus" (shizza was a homie and so i got him to come and play there pretty consistently)

he did what i suggested and instead of randomly announcing on the day of the meet that he would be open, he announced that it was a weekly ongoing thing. low and behold that and the power of shizza got the place packed with around 25 people or more a week and only took 3 weeks to happen, it would have gotten bigger but his arcade could barely hold 15 people comfortably so space weeded out those that had come from further away. he also bought 4 xboxs and 8 te's iirc so he had it tricked out.... dons is still going on strong after like 3 years afaik. the most important thing was consistency in opening times and being once a week. once a week allows people to play each other and then t-mode the rest of the week to the stuff they had lost to previously, and gave actual incentive to come back the next week even stronger.

4. monthly tournaments funded primarily OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET. (though small entry fees can help)

a simple pot of $100 could probably suffice with a 75-15-10 payout for first second and third. weekly tournies arent good cause they stagnate and start to seem like casuals plus they interfere with "casual" play. a monthly or bi monthly tourament is best as it makes the losses sting more since you have to wait an entire month for a chance at "revenge" it makes people work harder and makes the casual sessions between the tournies seem more like practice and more intense. tournies are simply a way to FORCE players to play there best, bring there cheapest shit and and best tricks to the table and force technology advances... money tends to do that.

if you can do all these things you can probably grow a scene... but its a lot work and hey, that kind of work isnt everyones cup of tea.

but seriously if sg is going to have a chance of making it to evo it has to start at the grassroots level which is at the weekly offline meetups. of course if the players are interested in metting more than that... hey ALL GOOD. just make sure that the weeklies dont get interrupted for anything. its that exact reason why arcades were good... you might not be able t have people over your place much... but the arcade accomodated you by providing a place for everyone to meet at. you will have to find someones place or your own, to provide that.. venue is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING when it comes to building a scene...

once there is a CONSISTENT venue, bored people will start to make it there for reasons of sheer boredom and then come more cause of the gameplay. any day of the week will do, dons has made fridays work, though i wouldnt suggest party nights... cause you are competing with... partying. tuesdays,wednesdays and thrusdays are the best nights to use as they are mid week and least work stressed yet dont have to compete with weekend activities.

-dime
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,952 mod
    If Melty Blood and Blazblue were able to get into Evo then the art direction shouldn't be much of an issue.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• dsurgeon215dsurgeon215 Joined: Posts: 21
    The game isn't aesthetically pleasing to most folks....basically the same reason peeps don't play Animu games. Doesn't matter if its good or not, if the player doesn't like the art style or the characters they aren't gonna pick it up, casual or hardcore.
    Anybody that claims the art of SG to be an issue are using it as a statement to boast their masculine, socially accepted moral tastes and values. Just about every fighting game has an anime inspired presentation, including your precious SF4 and MVC3. The only exceptions are series like Mortal Kombat, which don't even have a big scene going on despite their mass appeal.

You're a terrible dude. What you're saying is that this game isn't going to have a bright future because the fighting game community, of all people, are too ashamed to go near the risque characters. Seriously?
    Dime_x wrote:
    1. more diverse roster (i only like painwheel... were it not for her i doubt i'd play this game)
    Errr...why not? Is it because she is the only one that strikes you as unique as compared to the rest of the "overly feminine" cast? smh
  • WrathWrath Modder and BlazBlue Fan Joined: Posts: 211
    Grow the tourney scene. If people that are going to tourneys ask if Skullgirls is being played for a prize there the organizers will get the idea. The game is solid enough for tourneys to run it and the organizers just need to see the interest is strong. If Skullgirls is played consistently at major tourneys EVO is sure to follow. This is how it has always worked (neglecting some sponsored games) and is the way Skullgirls will get a spot.
    thank you so much dood. I feel alot more prepared now
    -Mr.Nannie
    ^^ that's a prinny in disguise O.O
    PSN: xXFierywrathXx
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 11,089
    Errr...why not? Is it because she is the only one that strikes you as unique as compared to the rest of the "overly feminine" cast? smh

i have no problem with the femininity of the cast, it has to do with me not liking or not GETTING how to play the rest of the cast. PW was one of 3 characters i wanted to play at start, the other 2 were val and parasoul. i didnt like either for various reasons. i hate bella, only play double for her support benefits, cant play fortune for shit, cant play peacock for shit, filia is meh but ive been trying to pick her up a bit... for instance pw gives me these benefits that most of the other cast doesnt or have a harder time with:

pw has a one size fits all combo that works the exact same against the rest of the cast since its grounded i dont have to learn different timings for juggle combos. pw has easymode resets that kill shit and are extremely varied to boot, pw has high damage to go with those resets, pw doesnt have to use meter to do damage making her a perfect battery. i LOVE to throw and pw has probably the easiest throws to convert into high damage, pw has a mostly safe on block hitconfirm when she flight cancels it meaning that i can autopilot confirms, pw has flight for fine positioning, pw can dash plus assist then block yet still be able to move forward, run characters cant do that... she does have alot of weaknesses as well but with so many strengths ive found workarounds for her weaknesses... the character is made for me.

compare that to oh say val... takes meter to convert airthrow... combos are much harder (for me) since they are all juggle and characters have different juggle weights.. her hitconfirm isnt nearly as safe as painwheels nor are they nearly as varied from what i can tell

those are all things i like that most of the other characters dont have as good as pw does. my choosing pw as a character has everything to do with how she plays and little to do with what she represents as a character in the story... personally i'd like it more if she were all boobalicious... i mean .. why not?

sorry for being ot guys. but seriously, sg needs smaller hometown scenes to grow if it wants to make it to evo, and venue is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing.

-dime
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • MikeBreezy92MikeBreezy92 Too Good Joined: Posts: 348
    I picked it up.
    Good for you, sad that the majority of other players don't think like you.
    Anybody that claims the art of SG to be an issue are using it as a statement to boast their masculine, socially accepted moral tastes and values. Just about every fighting game has an anime inspired presentation, including your precious SF4 and MVC3. The only exceptions are series like Mortal Kombat, which don't even have a big scene going on despite their mass appeal.

You're a terrible dude. What you're saying is that this game isn't going to have a bright future because the fighting game community, of all people, are too ashamed to go near the risque characters. Seriously?

Pretty much. Lol at the "Precious SF4 and MVC3" line. I don't even play those games. MK9 has a mass appeal and its been at EVO for two years. Not seeing your point there. SG could make it if the community goes to events...but the community has to realize that it doesn't have mass appeal like the other fighters despite its competitive merit.
    "JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!"-Kamina
    As far as I, and Wizard (going by his past statements), are concerned, the only reason Skullgirls didn't make it into EVO was because of the release date issue. It otherwise was a shoo-in. If you just keep up the momentum it currently has, it'll no doubt get in there.
  • Oil ROil R Joined: Posts: 307
    this is funny, I was looking at the forums.

Street Fighter x Tekken

Discussions:
    Skullgirls
    Discussions:
    Amazing, we got almost 70.500 messages from a new game indie franchise which is not even out for 4 months! Skullgirls community its the most active one after SF X Tekken.
    it's 'cause we care and we're not a bandwagon game

though we have a...bandwagon move...

IGNORE ME
  • girlystylegirlystyle Only plays Fugazi Joined: Posts: 1,804
    it's 'cause we care and we're not a bandwagon game

though we have a...bandwagon move...

IGNORE ME

venture.jpg
    people only pay attention to me because of my vagina awesome penis
  • arstalarstal Joined: Posts: 2,968
    Simply put- to get at Evo, you guys would have to be the 4th or 5th highest populated game at major regionals, behind SF/Marvel/TTT2.

Same challenge all other fighters face. Simple as that.
    --- The folks who oppose progress in fighters are the Tea Partiers of the FGC.
  • AabraAabra Joined: Posts: 130
    Sadly I don't see it being on the main stage anytime soon. The players and skill level simply isn't there. My buddy Dino and I are the only people in Guadalajara who know how to play the game. We honestly haven't put much time into it at all though and only play against each other every now and then. We don't consider ourselves to be very good at the game but we destroy everybody whenever we play online... not because we're good but because everybody online is horrible.

While I was stuck back here in GDL, Dino had the opportunity to go to EVO.... he missed the Skullgirls tournament signups as he was cheering for our boy Frutsy in Marvel but he passed by later on and apparently completely bodied most of the Skullgirls top 16 in casuals with the exception of one Painwheel player who took him out convincingly. This is in a game he doesn't even play. He shouldn't be doing anywhere near that well in a game he doesn't practice... but that's the skill level we're currently dealing with when it comes to Skullgirls right now. Sad but true...
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,796
    Sadly I don't see it being on the main stage anytime soon. The players and skill level simply isn't there. My buddy Dino and I are the only people in Guadalajara who know how to play the game. We honestly haven't put much time into it at all though and only play against each other every now and then. We don't consider ourselves to be very good at the game but we destroy everybody whenever we play online... not because we're good but because everybody online is horrible.

While I was stuck back here in GDL, Dino had the opportunity to go to EVO.... he missed the Skullgirls tournament signups as he was cheering for our boy Frutsy in Marvel but he passed by later on and apparently completely bodied most of the Skullgirls top 16 in casuals with the exception of one Painwheel player who took him out convincingly. This is in a game he doesn't even play. He shouldn't be doing anywhere near that well in a game he doesn't practice... but that's the skill level we're currently dealing with when it comes to Skullgirls right now. Sad but true...

A real shame your friend didn't enter the tourney so we could see him do well instead of reading about him dominating in a forum post. As for this game making it to the EVO stage, I think it's too soon to start worrying about that. The focus should be primarily on building a strong community. The EVO spotlight will come after that is in place.
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
  • Master_ChibiMaster_Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 15,066 mod

No, that's not the current skill level of anything except the people who went to Evolution.

Holy fuck the game is four months old and we're already talking about 'current skill level'?

EVERYONE SUCKS IS FINE FOR A FOUR MONTH OLD GAME.

The two of you need to step your shit up and prove yourself past casuals during a tournament neither of you entered.
    ~*Hai! Back to Japan!