What it will take to put Skullgirls on the main stage at EVO next year

d3vd3v The Grumpy Machine.Joined: Posts: 25,552 mod
No, you're eyes aren't deceiving you, this isn't a question. This is a straight up answer to what we as a community need to do to get this at the main stage at EVO next year.

The answer lies in an article I wrote late last year. For those who don't care to read it the point is this, what is going to put this game on the main stage at EVO is people - we need to grow this community even more. Face it, compared to the other games (MK, KOFXIII, etc.) the guys at Reverge don't exactly have the resources to put out a large pot and/or promotion to draw players. This means that the game is going to have to rely on numbers to justify being at EVO. This means that it's up to us players to help get those numbers. Sure, there are other factors that can help such as the upcoming patch and PC release (and also that Wiz has reportedly stated that he would liked to have seen SG as a main game at EVO this year, if not for the lack of a release date when they made the decisions). These however are only there for us to capitalize on in the drive to grow the community and get this to EVO. In the end, it's still mostly up to us.

Comments

• Vigilante 8Vigilante 8 All the way from Ryu de Janeiro. Joined: Posts: 21
    Wiz said on Wake SRK that they like to at least give a shot to some games. He said that when asked about SFxT being on the main line-up. I believe that numbers are important too, but to straight out start some kind of mobilization to give the game some exposure is already a start. Things like silly web content, video tutorials on characters, things like Max is doing with the Online Warrior thing. Tournament attendance is crucial, but community content is also important.

There's a big thread asking for a new Darkstalkers game, why not start threads asking for Skullgirls to make part of tournament line-ups? We all now Season's Beatings is comming, why not look on that? The EVO 2013 line up will be decided on early Jan. Wiz said already that they choose the line-up early in the year, so there's still enough 2012 left to the community push the game on spotlight.

SFxT is not gonna die until the Capcom events are up, so WNF will not drop it, but why give up? Skullgirls need people going to tournaments but also people watching it, tournament choosing to put it on their line-up and content. We need thinks like "Street Fighter is Hard", "The Online Warrior", or even "Cross Counter" and "Excellent Adventures". I watched the side tournament top8 and there was 1000 people watching with me online. Give this people something to watch beyond EVO.
  • QETZLQETZL Needs more Salt. Joined: Posts: 492
    Some opinions willfully ignored, my two cents:
    -Striving for EVO next year is an incredibly, incredibly ambitious goal, which I totally respect but personally believe is us getting ahead of ourselves. I also believe the answer is an elephant in the room, and its always been there. In order to do so is deceptively simple "Get the people to come in droves for it". We've always known that, but therein lies a major issue. 102 entrants is a respectable number for a game that came out months ago, but remains a fraction of even KoF's turnout (This being it's first EVO as a mainstage game, but has been floating the tournament for some time). Focusing on how to turn a 102 turnout into a 1200 turnout is more important than the game's official status at EVO. Without the resources of a Capcom or an Atlus or Namco, without even a physical released, why are we expecting these astronomical numbers so soon? We gotta earn the fans, one at a time, and in my opinion, that's gonna be a slow process.
    "I have been experimenting with cock lately." - Girlystyle
    Canada represent! If that's not too much trouble.
    (QETZL : PSN/XBLA)
  • AyakashiAyakashi Joined: Posts: 7
    I think SG is very good game,but not so popular.
    In japan, SG comming is waited many many people.
    If SG sell in Japan,SG will become popular in Japan.
    and, I think SG will may take to put main stage if increacing player.

sorry,I only use poor Englsh……
    because I am Japanese.
  • OnirosOniros Joined: Posts: 108
    I guess the best bet is to aim at the PC crowd and get them to support this. Skullgirls is probably the first fighting game that got PC right: no GFWL, no DRM bullshit, and low price point (PC gamers are cheap).

Most people who play console fighting games don't like innovation. They would rather have a TTT2 or a Darkstalkers 4 before any new and interesting IP. On PC, we see new mind-blowing indie games come out every month. Therefore, even if it might be a technical game with a high learning curve, PC players will give it a shot because they're more inclined to try new stuff.

Reverge Labs need to make full use of Steamworks and make Skullgirls on PC the best version available (make full use of fast automatic patching, optimization features, etc).
    If they do it right, they might succeed in an untapped market that can give us a surprise or two this coming EVO.
    P4A: Chie/GG: Jam/VSav: Q-Bee
    Rival Schools needs to come back!
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX Holiday Prosecutor. Joined: Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think interest will increase as more characters are released. I've met many people who don't like the game because of the 8 character roster, which also seems very ignorant to me. Some people are just like that :(
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • QETZLQETZL Needs more Salt. Joined: Posts: 492
    I totally second that PC should/will surprise critics.

I mentioned this in the community building thread some time ago, but something that is being overlooked in this allegation that the game has no potential for growth beyond this point is that it is a new IP in a crowded market, and it does not have the decade of background that the established franchises have. If you took "Street Fighter" or "Marvel Vs. Capcom" out of either of those games and tried to market them on their own legs, the perception in the public eye would be much, much different. This is why I keep stressing that patience, and allowing time for updates and the evolution of the game, will be what ultimately brings in the audience. Having this be a known quantity more than a flavor of the week.
    "I have been experimenting with cock lately." - Girlystyle
    Canada represent! If that's not too much trouble.
    (QETZL : PSN/XBLA)
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree that its going to take time and patience. One thing is for certain is that getting all gloomy because it doesn't happen over night can't help and trying to change things can't hurt.

Most people didn't even know there would be a side tourny for this game until a few weeks before EVO. That's the thing: it needs to be visible. I really do think that having more video content that gets put on the front pages of news is something that would help a lot. For some people that really the only way the get any information about whats going on with fighting games. I've been trying to come with some thing that could help out in my area...
    It's nice to meet you, too.
    I think this game does a fair job of welcoming new players my self. And I don't remember it being advertised the most technical game around, which would be weird because its not true at all. Not even close.
  • Uncivilized ElkUncivilized Elk Joined: Posts: 713
    The game tried to sell itself as having casual-friendly inputs and a robust tutorial. I'm pretty sure the haughty attitude was one of "Oh yeah, we're totally trying to reel in those casuals."

That's why I'm so confused as to what PsychoJosh is talking about.
    PSN: Uncivilized_Elk
    I have to say the teams I saw being used at EVO are not what I thought they would be other than Painwheel/Peacock. Also I don't think people get how much assist change a team, but thats another topic.

My question is how many casual players really show up to tournaments?

On Tekken: That game is harder to learn than Skullgirls. Competitively that is. Seriously, I expect a lot of people to drop it quick, especially because I don't think that many peope are going to practicing the basics on Tekken 6 like they probably should. It will sell well though because Tekken always does. I'm a fan myself.
  • lookatthisjackasslookatthisjackass Call me "nap" Joined: Posts: 119
    I know for a fact that Fanatiq is interested in this game. If StriderZero can get him and Knives hooked on the game, it may spread to the FGTV house. Then from there it could spread to the thousands of viewers that house has; if the there's enough interest, hopefully weekly tournaments like Levelup on the WC and the break on the EC can start doing Skullgirls again; and hopefully that interest can build up to more SG at majors and finally EVO.
  • SchaudenfraudSchaudenfraud U R A FRAUD Joined: Posts: 79
    A miracle. Skullgirls is a really good game. The brightest person in the room doesn't always get the job, and the nicest people in the world won't always get what they ought to get. Paris Hilton is famous even if she has no talent. People buy a half-ass game that felt incomplete called SFxT, and Skullgirls will be a cult classic that will get ignored for literally superficial reasons.

Shout outs to the skullgirls community.

Just saying, sometime's it's just to give the rest of the world the finger. I really don't buy this "it's a hard game to learn" argument I'd explain, but I'd digress. I think that being really good at this game is definitely something to be proud of. Let's assume that it's the case that people don't like hard games. Having 100 people to play the game is something to be proud of. Being good at a game with no BS mechanics is something to be proud of.
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭
    A tutorial mode, no matter how "robust" is not going to reel in casuals. Easy inputs are not going to pull them in either. That's not what casuals want.

I don't agree with all of Josh's ideas, but I agree with this one. What casuals want is fun, not depth. SG offers a lot of fun, but you need to go through an extended learning period before you can start having it. To a casual player, it's simply a matter of deciding whether you want to pick up a shooter or party game and start having fun immediately, or if you want to pick up a fighting game and spend three to six weeks learning it so that maybe you will have fun with it when the training period is over.

That's why I think casuals are a lost cause. At best you can try to lure them in with nice graphics, funny references and cool animation. It's much more realistic to try and get more FG players to pick it up. That'll take a while, though. SG is a new game with new IP. FG players hate having to learn new games when they already know how to play older ones.

I guess what I'm saying here is that there is no easy way to grow the SG community. We just have to continue supporting it where we can and hopefully Reverge will continue to update it. Hopefully it'll get released in Japan and make a splash there. I think having SG in EVO 2013 is very possible depending on how things play out.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
    I know for a fact that Fanatiq is interested in this game. If StriderZero can get him and Knives hooked on the game, it may spread to the FGTV house. Then from there it could spread to the thousands of viewers that house has; if the there's enough interest, hopefully weekly tournaments like Levelup on the WC and the break on the EC can start doing Skullgirls again; and hopefully that interest can build up to more SG at majors and finally EVO.
    This sort of thing can honestly help a lot. It would mean more coverage.
    What needs to be done is more people need to produce content. And everybody who can't record or stream something needs to just keep playing like they have been. If people see players having fun they may want to join in.

Also once I noticed it was said that SG should have been a smash style game I thought this thread might be getting trolled.
  • zukuu1zukuu1 Theory Pro Joined: Posts: 173
    To a casual player, it's simply a matter of deciding whether you want to pick up a shooter or party game and start having fun immediately,

I'm sorry, but I played my first COD (Black Ops) about a year ago since I got it for free, with almost no prior experience with shooters. I was the lowest scoring member of the team almost every match, with a kill to death count of something like 3 to 6 on average. And this persisted for like... I dunno, a long damn time over a course of weeks, covering at least 40 hours minimum of gameplay. And I came out of that experience, with an average ratio of like... 5 to 4. In other words, I still sucked.

Actually that wasn't even the point I was trying to make. Man I'm tired. Basically, when I first started playing I played through most of story mode thinking it'll get me more acquainted with the actual shooter gameplay. I killed practically nobody in a few online matches that followed and died a lot, so I went to practice how to aim better, went to learn the characteristics of the guns available to me, and then went back to online and continued to suck for some time.

Point being, this is no different than getting demolished online or by a CPU, going to training mode and getting more familiar with your character, and then going back online to get crushed.

If people have this magic formula for what constitutes "immediate fun" when you don't know how to play something that does possess some level of depth, you better spell it out here. Because I'm not seeing it.
  • Age_of_FoolsAge_of_Fools Joined: Posts: 705
    male fighters for a start.

I don't disagree, but this sentiment has always confused me. Why do people care what gender the character is? I'm sure dudes played games like tomb raider, blood rayne, whatever other games that force a female main character. In other fighting games there's plenty of people who are happy to choose the female members of the cast, but with skullgirls it does get brought up a lot as a reason for not relating to the characters.
    Beginner's Guide to Cerebella
    Cerebella mixup video
    XBL: Age of Fools [Cerebella/Double/Parasoul/Painwheel]
    "i mean look the length of your post…" -Dime X
    That's why I think casuals are a lost cause. At best you can try to lure them in with nice graphics, funny references and cool animation. It's much more realistic to try and get more FG players to pick it up. That'll take a while, though. SG is a new game with new IP. FG players hate having to learn new games when they already know how to play older ones.

This an important point I think. Casuals are not what needs to be discussed. There is no way an indie fighting game what a very small marketing budget could have gotten waves of casuals to come in and play. That could never have been part of the equation.

The good news is that that also probably isn't so important for what we want to happen. Casuals don't go to tournaments. They do not want to compete and they often stop playing any game after a while. The only lesser skilled players that matter here are new tournament players, who are only going to keep improving anyway. Don't get me wrong though of course some casual do convert when they like a game enough and more sales would have helped. I just don't think its the end of the world though

There is a big difference between a casual player and a new competitive player. People don't always see that, and when they don't we get ridiculous ideas like x-factor.

Or at least that's my theory
  • lookatthisjackasslookatthisjackass Call me "nap" Joined: Posts: 119
    there not coming as the are not there Ah ,bb,,,,,,yadda yadda yadda all ditched games with the long air combo airdash mechanics,,,,,Except marvel because marvel Chars are gangster

Games based on sf2 , kof style systems... pokes landing 5 hit combos or tekken fight systems sells......airdash juggle anime system is casual aids ebola for fight games

I'm definitely not talking about anime fighter players. If GG, BB, AH players aren't already playing SG, they're aren't even giving this game a chance. I had the SF / MvC / KoF / MK players in mind.
  • oblivioneroblivioner Joined: Posts: 189
    I doubt Skullgirls can make it to EVO anytime soon, mostly because there are so many big new games that will be releasing before next evo, tekken tag tournament 2, persona 4, dead or alive 5, injustice, probably a super sfxt, together with all the games already out that did well last EVO, that it's doubtful they can fit a low profile game like skullgirls. I think that the fighting genre is at a point that only one EVO per year doesn't fit all the good fighters available, the only option for skullgirls is that they split EVO in several events.
    tairdash juggle anime system is casual aids ebola for fight games

Well the casual aids ebola known as P4 is seeing a ton of cashies going crazy over it.

So apparently what Skullgirls had to do to get the casuals was first make an RPG with a really shallow and dry dating sim aspect thrown in, and then release the fighting game afterward.
  • Age_of_FoolsAge_of_Fools Joined: Posts: 705
    Well the casual aids ebola known as P4 is seeing a ton of cashies going crazy over it.

So apparently what Skullgirls had to do to get the casuals was first make an RPG with a really shallow and dry dating sim aspect thrown in, and then release the fighting game afterward.

2 years from now, we're in there.
    Beginner's Guide to Cerebella
    Cerebella mixup video
    XBL: Age of Fools [Cerebella/Double/Parasoul/Painwheel]
    "i mean look the length of your post…" -Dime X
    By the way, I like the term cashies because it sounds like if you cut the second half off "casual" and add the "ies", and because it also sounds like cash-ies, meaning those are the people that produce most of your cash.
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    you actually can aim at casuals if they really dig art or characters or whatnot but you'll have to take them by the hand and teach them everything. It's hard but on the other hand there's probability that you'll lure new person in the FGC who will be loyal to the SG and probably won't drop it for other francise (s)he is more familiar with. Although this way won't net huge numbers of course.
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"
  • GraphfGraphf Amat Victoria Curam Joined: Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    I am sitting in a dorm in a nondescript college hanging out with a some friends. A buddy says, "hey let's play some skullgirls dude." The girls in the room snicker and some of the guys start dogging on me and a buddy.

I am sitting in a dorm in a nondescript college hanging out with some friends . A buddy says, "Hey, let's play some Street Fighter dude." The name already has recognition in most every one's mind and most of the characters are iconic. It also sounds like a game were people are going to fight and get hurt, not like some pussified hipsterized sounding game where who knows what kind of perverted things are going on.

This never actually happened to me, but a friend told me this story. It happened to him but only it was Arcana Heart. These all girl games are weird to most people.

Also, the game looks like one of those flash games you'd find on bored.com or something.

I'd be surprised if it ever hit the main stage at EVO. Look at the other games that came out and are coming out. VF5:FS, DOA5, TTT2, Persona4 Arena and what about the new JOJO games, will they be out in time for EVO2013?
    AE and Marvel are pretty much guaranteed to be included, that leaves, what 3 maybe 4 spots left? 4 is not a lot of games. Especially when you factor other games in like MK9, KoF and SC5 possibly making returns. There are better games to put on the main stage instead of Skullgirls.
    Monster Hunter
  • RustyShacklefurdRustyShacklefurd Donkey Kong Engineer Joined: Posts: 594
    I'm just gonna say I disagree with pretty much everything you said so far, Josh. Creating a game around bringing in casual players is an extremely superficial move that involves dropping the quality of the game itself. It wouldn't fix anything. It would make it a generic fighter without a memorable experience. SFxT is an example of this. Quality over quantity. You can play this game casually too. No reason why you wouldn't be able to. It's not difficult execution-wise, normals are chain cancelled, supers are simple. Nothing is stopping anyone from playing this game at a casual level with a group of friends. KoF is the most intimidating fighter to play at the moment, and that got 1000 people (even if some of them were shirt monsters). So I don't think the casual argument is a valid one.

Anywho... this whole thread is kind of getting derailed. This was supposed to be about what we as a community would do. Not personal assessments on what we think the game should be. This'll probably be my last reply to Mr. Josh, because I firmly believe there isn't a conversation to be had there x.x .

Oh, and also, things get done when people stop worrying about what others think of them for playing a game featuring all girls and get back to playing to show them how deep and fun the game is.
    PSN: RustyShacklefurd
    Steam: Weatherbee
    I don't disagree, but this sentiment has always confused me. Why do people care what gender the character is? I'm sure dudes played games like tomb raider, blood rayne, whatever other games that force a female main character. In other fighting games there's plenty of people who are happy to choose the female members of the cast, but with skullgirls it does get brought up a lot as a reason for not relating to the characters.
    what is the first thing you do when you pick up a new Fighter? you look for a character. as subtle as it seems, most use the most visual appealing one first. You identity with a character - even if it's just subconsciously. Character loyalty is a huge influence in both, fun and if you stick with the game. Playing a character and making him work makes you another player then simply using the best character. Taste is different, and while I do not have anything against female characters, I first pick characters that I find appealing; the playstyle comes later. For me it's most likely the non-grappler brawler type of guy (Paul in Tekken, Cody in SFA+4) because I can identify the most with them and find them therefore subconsciously most appealing. Otherwise it's a game by game case (Chipp in GG, Gen in Vanilla).

I find the roster of SG simply unappealing. It could only feature animals and I would find it just as unappealing. Doesn't even matter if it's a good game or not.

TL;DR SG with 4/4 male/female ratio would have been more successful.
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    Also, the game looks like one of those flash games you'd find on bored.com or something.
    go play the game first then discuss possibilities of it being main game >_>
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"

TL;DR SG with 4/4 male/female ratio would have been more successful.

Severely doubt it.

As to the rest of your post, identifying with a character has nothing to do with gender. You're on some entirely different issue altogether.
  • NecrophileNecrophile Joined: Posts: 299
    Thread subject: What it will take to put Skullgirls on the main stage at EVO next year

So many off-topic posts here talking about Tekken and Smash Bros. GTFO

To be at Evo, you need good tourney attendance for SG at Majors. How to get new players? Promote the game with streams. I'd say KOF XIII and VF5 benefit A LOT from Haunts streaming those games all the time.

Since you guys are already good with the established, practical ideas. Here's a crazy idea. Winner of Skull Girls at Majors can donate some of his prize money to streamers. Guys like Fchamp and Fanatiq BEG for donations all the time, even after they won thousands of $$$. What did Fanatiq do after winning ECT and the big money match vs RayRay? He begged for more donations.

Fanatiq and Fchamp can also do a good sales pitch. Donate some of that prize money ( or just donate even if you don't win ), with the condition that the prize money goes to a tourney TO BE STREAMED by those guys.

FChamp's FGTV has Fraud Free Fridays featuring Marvel 3. Well, you can donate and ask them to do a Skull Girls tourney, with big names like FChamp and Fanatiq personally playing Skull Girls and praising the game, plus reminding viewers that there's a Skull Girls tourney at the next big Major + any weekly Skull Girl event of note.

Even if you don't like my idea... I still have better intentions than that guy saying that Skull Girls has no chance cuz of its girl cast + not a casual game. I guess MELTY BLOOD made it to Evo by being a mainstream best-seller with manly man in tights characters like Magneto and Captain America.

edit: 9 am, it's work time. Bye!! no replies from me for now but good luck to this endeavor
    Severely doubt it.

As to the rest of your post, identifying with a character has nothing to do with gender. You're on some entirely different issue altogether.
    it has. I'm the prime example. I can't really identify with a female character. That I can main a female later on is possible, but at first - the initial factor if I buy/dig a FG or not HAS TO DO WITH THE ROSTER. If the roster is not appealing to me, the game is not appealing to me. All girl cast = not appealing = no buy. It's as simple as that.

Let me ask you two questions:
    Is the "all female cast" a buying factor?
    Would have a mixed cast hurt the sales?
  • PerthoPertho FutharSWAG Joined: Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have some misconceptions about the game that are partially the producer's fault and partially how stupid the current community is. The biggest misconception is that the game is "hardcore". The game isn't really anymore hardcore than half the games which came out in the past; Mike Z mentioned several times that he wasn't making a game that would mollycuddle them with a dumbass mechanic like X-factor. This somehow made people get all scared out of it.

The second problem is the amounts of titties and panties. While this is an initial barrier, it can eventually be overcome. In all honesty MK9 is far more full retard than skullgirls panty shots. I don't like MK that much anymore because of all the gore so I guess its fair that people hate on this for the fanservicy things. As dumb as it is, a change of name to Skullheart from skullgirls would probably have made people feel better about playing it.

What would be really helpful is a weekly column on the game. Sit down to write stuff for the front page and then blow keits so that it stays in the front for the whole day. You could call it something cheesy like "The Skulldown" and you'll talk about different stuff on the game. You could start with a brief overview of the characters and who they play like. The week after you can do an overview of the system mechanics etc.

The truth is that the game is hella easy to get into. The problem is that people see a long combo and suddenly think the game is overbearing. Like I mentioned, not Mike Z's fault that the community is stupid.
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    Surprised a lot of you fell for Psycho Josh's gimmick.

EVO rewards games with large dedicated communities a spot. If a scene can't prove that by supporting events that game is at, they're going to take a chance on unreleased games. They don't care if the game looks cool or if Johnny Doughnuts who isn't playing thinks the game is whack. They care about how many are potentially showing up to play.

So put up your incoming events, let the SG players know about the event, and give a good showing.

Don't get discouraged by the couple of new gen people coming in here who are oblivious to EVO's structure and want you to the believe that the number of people NOT playing is important. Listen to the OG members like d3v and Chibi who know their shit and seen what it takes for a game to be at EVO.

Yeah, reality is there's like 1 or 2 spots at EVO2013 up for grabs that other more well-known communities also want and unreleased games could be candidates for. Even if we don't make it and have to settle for another side tourney, let's prove that the community has grown and aim for more entrants instead of less entrants like what happens to most games in the following year.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • RussaiRussai A Debby Downer Joined: Posts: 342
    So, as mentioned above, this thread has gone a bit mental. Thread derailing in the Skullgirls forum? On SRK? Madness.

Anyway, to summarize the suggestions for building the game up to EVO status next year thus far:
    Useful suggestions:
    • Patience. Play the game and the game's community will steadily grow.
    • Create media. Host Streams, make combo videos. Get the game on the front of SRK with new, quality content.
    • Encourage existing well established streamers to play the game.
    These are all pretty self explanatory. The last two require effort on your part. Don't just sit there talking about it - go do it. Max's style of Online Warrior videos works great. Record some random online matches and give a commentary on them afterwards. It'll help you get better and give us all something new to watch.

Not useful suggestions:
    • Skullgirls is too hardcore to be successful.
    • The all female/over-sexualized cast is a deterrent to people picking it up.
    These last two points are things inherent to the game. We cannot change them so really there's no point in discussing them much further.

Anyone who is off the mindset that SG is too hard to get into will probably never get into it, regardless of how hard we try to teach them otherwise. If anyone refuses to pick up a game purely on visuals then that is also an opinion that will be basically impossible to break.
    Badgering people into playing the game when they are opposed to it for the above reasons will just annoy them further, so don't waste your time. Keep playing you game, let them play their game. If they ever want to try out Skullgirls despite their opinions, welcome them with open arms.

Other suggestions I would have:
    • Run tournaments in your area. If there's very few Skullgirls players, then run a Street Fighter 4 tourney (or whatever is big in your area) and run a free Skullgirls' tournament, or have a SG casuals setup. Give the winner a medal or something. It'd cost about $5 to get one.
    • Get in contact with the Games Rooms Coordinator from any anime conventions in your area. Ask them if you can have a Skullgirls setup that you can man and teach people how to play. Don't be scared of anime fans - I've drafted up a decent amount of players for my local tournaments from conventions who were more there for the games than the anime.
    • Don't let PsychoJosh watch us play. The game clearly makes him sad.
    Launch party erry day
    Russai.deviantART.com
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    Once I have a new set up going I aim on providing content and talking about the game and all that good stuff. Of course you're all free to donate to me to make that happen quicker (kekekeke).

Other than that you need two things:

PATIENCE AND DEVOTION (MOTIVATION EVEN).

If no one is running SG tournaments at your locals then you do it. If you're going to a major close by and it's not on the roster ask for it to be and help run it. I went to EVO 4 years in a row just to help run the side tournament for Melty Blood and every year we had bigger numbers than at least one official game. Sure, we're not going to be getting triple digits often but consistency is the key here.

Oh and let me know what you guys would want to see on or how we can spread word of it some more:

CANOPYKINGDOM

Also please ignore PsychoJosh~
  • zferoliezferolie Hello Nurse! Joined: Posts: 1,406
    IDEAS!!!

All this is 100% true. We can do more to get a bigger fanbase, but we also can't force people to like it. Best this we can was is what Russai and others have sad: Keep playing the game and giving it lots of exposure. I think this free patch will also bring back a lot of people, and also help people get into the game. Now all we need is a New character announcement to really get the hype back into the game.
  • keninblackkeninblack Joined: Posts: 3,471
    Once the patch comes out people just have to really play it and care.

Get a local scene, if no one is running tournaments, find someone or do it yourself. Umm, yeah the best thing we can do is keep playing and do what we can to give the game exposure. I might in the works with something and let you all know but yeah, I really want this game at EVO and so does everyone else and I feel like we can do it if we just don't stop playing.

EDIT: Yeah uploading videos of tutorials and matches that teach how to play the game would help the community grow I feel like. Once my capture card works again I'm in there, can we just stop with the 100+ hit combo videos and nothing else?
    I'll add what Chibi said to what I said:

We run tourneys and make tourneys so people can get familiar. The more familiar they get with the game, they less a fuck they'll give about pants and titties.

That's pretty much it. Communities are built, not created by spontaneity fan orgasms.
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭
    SG is a very hard game for someone who's never picked up a fighting game before.

any fighting game is hard for someone who has never played a fighting game before. also smash is not a real fighting game.

the hardest thing i found with SG was getting used to every character having different weights, but im past that now.

edit : also i dont think specifically targeting casuals is the right way to go with this game, but then that depends on how loosely you use the term in the first place.
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
    EDIT: Yeah uploading videos of tutorials and matches that teach how to play the game would help the community grow I feel like. Once my capture card works again I'm in there, can we just stop with the 100+ hit combo videos and nothing else?
    You should expect it to stop soon honestly. Because the updates to IPS count crouching normals and standing normals as the same thing. So my Filia juggle combo with 5 supers won't work anymore :(

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • d3vd3v The Grumpy Machine. Joined: Posts: 25,552 mod
    *sigh*

I guess folks is content with making SG the Virtua Fighter of 2D.

Shoutouts to this thread getting filled with a bunch of half-empty forum trolls who ain't got nothing contribute outside of "it ain't gonna happen." Then again, this is the problem with the majority of the community on this site anyhow, too content to just sit and talk shit and not actually step up and make a damn difference. Not just on this section, but most of the damn forums. Straight up disrespect to those of us who've sacrificed time, money and even our physical well being doing stuff for the community.
    *sigh*

I guess folks is content with making SG the Virtua Fighter of 2D.

Shoutouts to this thread getting filled with a bunch of half-empty forum trolls who ain't got nothing contribute outside of "it ain't gonna happen." Then again, this is the problem with the majority of the community on this site anyhow, too content to just sit and talk shit and not actually step up and make a damn difference. Not just on this section, but most of the damn forums. Straight up disrespect to those of us who've sacrificed time, money and even our physical well being doing stuff for the community.
    Maybe make a thread in FGD with a title like "Why aren't you playing SkullGirls?" so this way we can understand what is keeping some people away from it. Because I've never heard an actual answer to that question outside of the traditional "the game only has 8 characters" excuse, everything else has been general assumptions about why people don't play it. That said most of the answers won't even be stuff the community can fix, but things we'd have to relay to Mike Z for review to possibly make it more appealing on a broader scale. But the answers that are said which the community can work on, well, the community can work on them.

EDIT 2: Apparently this entire post was one of the dumbest things I've done in quite awhile.

• AndyGAndyG Joined: Posts: 314
    Unfortunately, there are some glaring issues with the game as far as peoples' thoughts just going into it, not even from playing it... I won a marvel tournament about a week after SG released and put up my prize money (not insignificant) as the prize for a free-to-enter Skullgirls tournament and only 6 out of the 30 or so people (not including myself) at the tournament decided to play. FOR A CHANCE AT FREE MONEY. Getting it into more majors and onto more streams will KoF-ify it a bit by making more people wanna play, but it doesn't even have a playerbase big enough to make those tournaments successful anymore, so something like the above post should probably happen so we can figure out what to do on a lower level as well.
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    This thread is for coming up with ideas to help get this game into Evolution and to bolster the community, not what you think it's apparent flaws are, what the developers should or shouldn't be doing, and anything else. Please provide helpful suggestions to further the topic, if you want to talk about all that other stuff please do it elsewhere.
  • girlystylegirlystyle Only plays Fugazi Joined: Posts: 1,804
    Some opinions willfully ignored, my two cents:
    -Striving for EVO next year is an incredibly, incredibly ambitious goal, which I totally respect but personally believe is us getting ahead of ourselves. I also believe the answer is an elephant in the room, and its always been there. In order to do so is deceptively simple "Get the people to come in droves for it". We've always known that, but therein lies a major issue. 102 entrants is a respectable number for a game that came out months ago, but remains a fraction of even KoF's turnout (This being it's first EVO as a mainstage game, but has been floating the tournament for some time). Focusing on how to turn a 102 turnout into a 1200 turnout is more important than the game's official status at EVO. Without the resources of a Capcom or an Atlus or Namco, without even a physical released, why are we expecting these astronomical numbers so soon? We gotta earn the fans, one at a time, and in my opinion, that's gonna be a slow process.

don't be deceived by KOF entrants. The number who actually played was probably half of that. This is because when you signed up for KOF, you got a free shirt, so many people were just signing up (10 dollars) for a 20 dollar shirt. There were a lot of brackets where people would just be in winners finals because no one actually showed up to play. even then, a lot of people who did show up were those who had never played before and were in it for the shirt.

so do you what KOF did, give away a free shirt or something with signup. your signups will most likely automatically double.
    this would also get more people playing the game because i am sure those people who just signed up for the shirt at least then tried to play to play KOF, and in my opinion, but probably gave up because the basic mechanics of KOF are fairly complicated compared to other games. skull girls is a bit easier to approach in that respect, and you would probably see a lot more people playing.

besides giveaways, giving it a large prize pool would also attract a lot of entrants.

having it as a mainstage event will get lots of people playing. people love competition, and it would give marvel exclusives something else to compete in. however, as for actually getting it to the point where it is announced will be the difficult part.

essentially, we can't stop the momentum. skull girls was getting as many entrants as mortal kombat and kof at majors, and that needs to continue. this means reverge continuing to work extremely hard to support the game, which they do a great job at, and more importantly, players continuing to show up for tournaments. it makes me mad to see so many people say "oooo no way not enough people support this wonderful game that i love, its impossible for it to get on evo mainstage" when they have NEVER travelled to a major or a tournament to play. unfortunately, and harshly, they are part of the problem.

there are going to be several empty spots at evo next year, so this is our chance. i challenge everyone here to travel to at least ONE major tournament sometime this year to play skull girls. if KoF made it, so can skull girls. When KoF came out, so many people were doubting its ability to do well at majors, mlg, or having a spot at evo.

I am sitting in a dorm in a nondescript college hanging out with a some friends. A buddy says, "hey let's play some skullgirls dude." The girls in the room snicker and some of the guys start dogging on me and a buddy.
    I am sitting in a dorm in a nondescript college hanging out with some friends . A buddy says, "Hey, let's play some Street Fighter dude." The name already has recognition in most every one's mind and most of the characters are iconic. It also sounds like a game were people are going to fight and get hurt, not like some pussified hipsterized sounding game where who knows what kind of perverted things are going on.
    This never actually happened to me, but a friend told me this story. It happened to him but only it was Arcana Heart. These all girl games are weird to most people.

your silly. sooooooo soooo sooooo silly.
    people only pay attention to me because of my vagina awesome penis
    Sorry, thought I hid edit and instead hit reply.

Either way a good core group of people writing articles and making videos is enough. Online tourneys so we can have match videos people can easily turn into articles also help.

How about this, I give a whole lot of orders, organize all of you into a massive zergling army of content and you all call me King of Scalpels?
  • Monster637Monster637 Rage Trigger Joined: Posts: 1,069 ✭✭

EDIT: If anyone wants to make this thread in FGD, have it. I'm absolutely terrified of making a thread in any form of General Discussion.
    I did it for yeah, this game has no hope with you mofoz, scared of mofoz on the freakng interwebs and getting butt hurt and erasing shit when its not someone praising this freaking game
    Sent From under Your bed......Using Your MOM!!!
    I did it for yeah, this game has no hope with you mofoz, scared of mofoz on the freakng interwebs and getting butt hurt and erasing shit when its not someone praising this freaking game

Why would you make that thread in GD? That's retarded for a number of reasons the first being that it doesn't belong in that sub-forum, the second being that it antagonizes people, the third through a million that you are fucking stupid for not having figured out the first two reasons by yourself.

Have some damn sense. If you want people to play it we have to show people things things that make them want to play it as opposed to taking a shit where they hang out.
  • Monster637Monster637 Rage Trigger Joined: Posts: 1,069 ✭✭
    Why would you make that thread in GD? That's retarded for a number of reasons the first being that it doesn't belong in that sub-forum, the second being that it antagonizes people, the third through a million that you are fucking stupid for not having figured out the first two reasons by yourself.

Have some damn sense. If you want people to play it we have to show people things things that make them want to play it as opposed to taking a shit where they hang out.
    im retarded and half a sleep but homie a few post above said he scared to put it up there and find out, so i did it for him,,,,,,,now its in the right spot fg discussion .. its a video game forum........all post so far seem decent dont be a pussy lets see this social experiment pan out,, if they put it on blast you can atleast farm data and get a good laugh and see what your obstacles are because they wont hold back..............it will let you know if its a lost hope or a battle worth fightng becuase they wont be looking in this section
    Sent From under Your bed......Using Your MOM!!!