A thread to rant about online

shuntsurigishuntsurigi 6 month old gamerJoined: Posts: 181
You know you want to do it, so get it out of your system.

I'll begin.

1. Lag as seeing the game slow down doesn't happen much (not even in 0 bar connections) but INPUT LAG is a bitch. When my opponent does a move that leaves him at a huge disadvantage if blocked and I block, try to punish and get counter hit instead...It makes me mad...

2. The ranking system. I ranked up to Barbarian and then down to Hunter again. I never reject rematches whether I win or lose but many people seem to be cherry picking their way to the top, as they reject rematches if I win. I have taken my win rate from 35% to 50% and I have gotten demoted LOL. I will continue improving but ranking up is another story.

3. People who get salty when they lose. I had never in my life gotten so many angry messages. One guy even sent me a lot of voice messages trying to explain why I was cheap and he had skills.
The piano has been drinking...not me.

Comments

• FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,767
    This is the nature of online. Also there are Match Making sections in each forum, especially www.virtuafighter.com.

Online should be for 1.) Shits-n-Giggles and 2.) an O K resourse for when you can't make it to offline sessions OR you just want to chill and play this awesome game.
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
  • shuntsurigishuntsurigi 6 month old gamer Joined: Posts: 181
    This is the nature of online. Also there are Match Making sections in each forum, especially www.virtuafighter.com.

Online should be for 1.) Shits-n-Giggles and 2.) an O K resourse for when you can't make it to offline sessions OR you just want to chill and play this awesome game.

I know. This thread is for 1.) Shits-n-Giggles
  • DroogyDroogy I Respect the Foot Dive Joined: Posts: 48
    I really don't have much issue with lag but I stay FAR AWAY from anything but full bar connections because of how technical this game is. Also I may just not be good enough to really tell when its the game lagging or me sucking lol. The ranking system could do with some tweaking because theres this GIANT skill gap between ranks once you get to hunter, i never like a game demoting someone, I can see losing the points but I think once you achieve a plateau than you should stay there, and it shouldn't be 3 ranks to get to another plateau, thats just disheartening to a player

that said I TOTALLY agree with the online community being crazy. I get so many messages with bitching when people lose. That said I get alot more GG's on virtua fighter than most games so at least theres that.

though online is really the only time I can play with people other than my friends and honestly theres only one or two of my friends who play it enough to give me any sort of challenge so yea. A Online Warrior I stay
    XBLA:DescendantDroog
    The ranking system could do with some tweaking because theres this GIANT skill gap between ranks once you get to hunter, i never like a game demoting someone, I can see losing the points but I think once you achieve a plateau than you should stay there, and it shouldn't be 3 ranks to get to another plateau, thats just disheartening to a player

When I got demoted (from Barbarian to Hunter) I was annoyed. But then I learnt more stuff and now I've managed to improve my win/loss ratio (to 50%) and my rank (to Defender). I think being demoted is a good motivation to learn new stuff and not get stale. I'm actually looking forward to finding strong players so I get demoted and find the motivation to learn more new stuff again.
  • KagamizenKagamizen don't think, feel. Joined: Posts: 397
    i despise how the ranking system works. i think you should get a bigger boost for beating opponents that are a skill plateau or two above you. i had a win streak against against a stream of defenders, veterans, and guardians and was stuck on raider for days. then i lose against 2 barbarians and a fellow raider and get demoted back to hunter.

other then that love everything else
    i despise how the ranking system works. i think you should get a bigger boost for beating opponents that are a skill plateau or two above you. i had a win streak against against a stream of defenders, veterans, and guardians and was stuck on raider for days. then i lose against 2 barbarians and a fellow raider and get demoted back to hunter.

other then that love everything else

I agree with you on that one. At first I thought you got a bigger boost for winning against high ranked players. But I think it only happens when you are at kyu or dan level. When you hit Hunter you only get big boosts or lose a big chunk of the bar when fighting ranks withing your 3 rank level. Fighting the other ranks also improves/decreases the rank bar, but only a little. I think winning against high ranked players feels great anyway. I have won against Warriors many times, so that's the rank I want to achieve. I don't think I've won against any higher than Warrior ranks, not enough times for me to remember it anyway,
  • RenoReno ↑ Maggy Joined: Posts: 854 mod
    The system is in place because it wants to discourage boosting, that's why you need to fight people of your rank.

Also once you hit the Warrior ranks it changes slightly too, because fighting anyone within that rank doesn't boost your bar that much. What boosts your bar a lot is to have win streaks. You get almost nothing if you beat someone once, but if you have a 5 game win streak, all against players within your rank group, you can fill up nearly half a bar.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/itsumobasho
    SF5: Bison, Necalli
    VF5FS: Taka-arashi
    Soulcalibur V: Leixia, Astaroth
    The system is in place because it wants to discourage boosting, that's why you need to fight people of your rank.

Also once you hit the Warrior ranks it changes slightly too, because fighting anyone within that rank doesn't boost your bar that much. What boosts your bar a lot is to have win streaks. You get almost nothing if you beat someone once, but if you have a 5 game win streak, all against players within your rank group, you can fill up nearly half a bar.
    i have the misfortune of rarely coming across people in my rank lol.

It makes a lot of sense. It explains why it is a lot harder to win against people who are ranked higher than Warrior, while anyone (probably even myself) can reach Warrior rank with a little bit of luck.

that actually makes me feel alot better. I'm still only a Raider and getting higher in rank is just gonna take me learning some more stuff and maybe getting better at knowing when a attack needs to be used especially lions 44K launcher.
    so i got some hate mail lol. i beat the guy in two ranked matches in a row and he called me a scrub, loser, need to work on my skills etc. i am thinking to myself " but you lost. so if i am a scrub then you must garbage" . also i made it back to raider
    so i got some hate mail lol. i beat the guy in two ranked matches in a row and he called me a scrub, loser, need to work on my skills etc. i am thinking to myself " but you lost. so if i am a scrub then you must garbage" . also i made it back to raider

If you make people rage you must be in the right direction LOL

VF5FS seems to strike people really weird. I have gotten more than 20 angry messages from salty losers.
    that was the 3rd angry message i got from VF
    that was the 3rd angry message i got from VF

You are on the right path.

Yesterday I won against a Jacky Shatterer. It felt good. I hate Jacky.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Jacky is the SF4 Ken of VF5 as far as I'm concerned. :ub:K is their flowchart.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    I have almost lost my Defender rank for the second time. Worst still, I lost part of my rank bar to a lag switching rage quitting french player. LOL.
    Jacky is the SF4 Ken of VF5 as far as I'm concerned. :ub:K is their flowchart.

i agree 100%. i wish pai had a flip kick reversal like akira/aoi.

how is online against international players? i have been using the same region option
    i agree 100%. i wish pai had a flip kick reversal like akira/aoi.

how is online against international players? i have been using the same region option

I've been using the worldwide option, and it seems pretty good to me. Granted, I don't know where my opponents are from, but I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't have much problem fighting worldwide opponents.

By the way, the servers are pretty messed up right now, at least on the PS3. Don't know about the 360.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    thanks for the heads up.
    I go to worldwide or same region depending on the time of the day/how many players there are. Same region gives me Europeans. Worldwide gives me Americans/Asians/Australians.
  • SaranghaSarangha Look within yourself Joined: Posts: 4,256
    By the way, the servers are pretty messed up right now, at least on the PS3. Don't know about the 360.
    Someone in the PS3 thread pointed out it was the PS3 because multiple games had a D/C issue, ironically I was fine playing 3rd Strike Online so it's hard to say at this point. Hopefully today is a bit better.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/8449745/#Comment_8449745

“If you do not pour water on your plant, what will happen? It will slowly wither and die. Our habits will also slowly wither and die away if we do not give them an opportunity to manifest. You need not fight to stop a habit. Just don’t give it an opportunity to repeat itself. (67)”
    ― Swami Satchidananda, The Yoga Sutras

“For those who have an intense urge for Spirit and wisdom, it sits
    near them, waiting.”
    ― Patanjali, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

Nostalgia=Drug

And...yeah, demoted to Barbarian again. Seems I'll be in the Barbarian/Defender elevator for a while.
    And...yeah, demoted to Barbarian again. Seems I'll be in the Barbarian/Defender elevator for a while.

Hey man, I recently got to Raider again, and trying hard to not go back to Hunter.

While I'm here, I have a rant of my own: why am I being challenged by Kyus? Are they trying to rank up fast? That's not how it works. Pay your dues. Learn to get good.

Another rant: troll players. They piss me off because I'm trying to improve, and all they want to do is spam one move or travel to the far end of the stage. If you're not going to fight seriously, then just quit the game. VF is the last game you want to be doing dumb shit.

Hey man, I recently got to Raider again, and trying hard to not go back to Hunter.

While I'm here, I have a rant of my own: why am I being challenged by Kyus? Are they trying to rank up fast? That's not how it works. Pay your dues. Learn to get good.

Another rant: troll players. They piss me off because I'm trying to improve, and all they want to do is spam one move or travel to the far end of the stage. If you're not going to fight seriously, then just quit the game. VF is the last game you want to be doing dumb shit.

The worst troll I found online had a good connection...until the fight started and lag magically showed up. He won by using the same combo over and over. I fight him again telling myself even with lag I'm going to get him, so I find a mid that stuffs his combo and everytime he begins I throw the mid and counter him. When I'm about to win he rage quits. I send him a message "rage quitter". His answer: "I could not let you win. No combos. Only the same low over and over."
    It got me so mad. Not only did he make my rank bar decrease but with his answer he showed me he didn't know anything about the game (couldn't tell the difference between a mid and a low).
  • DeetsDeets Joined: Posts: 15
    Most players are in named ranks or dans at this point, so they're playing whoever they can find.
    yea I got to barbarian for the first time today and I was very happy because I was stuck at hunter forever and then I stayed a little while in raider/hunter. I really wish there was another system to show that you HAVE gotten higher in rank even if you don't stay there even if it was just "highest rank achieved" shown on your stats in custom match
    yea I got to barbarian for the first time today and I was very happy because I was stuck at hunter forever and then I stayed a little while in raider/hunter. I really wish there was another system to show that you HAVE gotten higher in rank even if you don't stay there even if it was just "highest rank achieved" shown on your stats in custom match

Wouldn't thad be a little depressing? Being reminded that you were a higher rank but you were demoted?

I'm back to Defender. I cannot seem to find many people around the same rank in order to rank up.
    i am at barbarian right now
  • Optimus CackOptimus Cack yes man kablam Joined: Posts: 269
    Man, I hate online play. Been sitting at Hunter for a hot minute. I finally earn a promotion, then I come up against someone who just does stupid shit that's hard to deal with online. I by no means consider myself God's gift to VF, but I know some of that shit is punishable when my moves don't come out 4 frames slower due to input lag. Online play really just makes me wish for the old evade attacks.
    I finally made it to Sentinel. 3rd time was the charm. I'm starting to get the hang of this. I was demoted from Barbarian and Raider once before I could go on to Defender. I was demoted from Defender twice before I could go on to Sentinel. I'll probably be demoted 3 or 4 times from Sentinel before I can rank up again.
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,239
    I always go to player matches first to see if there's any full bar players for me to play. Sucks no one is in there much :[

Ranked is annoying because if you find four bars, it's a coin flip if they'll want to rematch you and how many matches if you do.

I'm East Coast (Western NY) and my PSN is X_the_Genius
    You did not go back in time, this is how the forums look.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
    I always go to player matches first to see if there's any full bar players for me to play. Sucks no one is in there much

would really love it if there was a shift to player matches in the community, easier to find 4-bar matches and no ranking
    Ranked is annoying because if you find four bars, it's a coin flip if they'll want to rematch you and how many matches if you do.

I love the way some players win a match or two then refuse to play again as if you weren't worth their time. The best are the ones that live and die off of gimmicks. I can feel the frustration across the internet when I come back with some degree of patience and demolish them.
    Got demoted from Sentinel to Defender. It'll probably be in the Sentinel/Defender up and down for a while. Gotta work on my evades.
    I made it to Defender the other day. Now to see if I can prevent myself from going back down.
    I made it to Defender the other day. Now to see if I can prevent myself from going back down.

Good luck with that. How many times were you demoted before getting to Defender?
    Good luck with that. How many times were you demoted before getting to Defender?

I was demoted back to Hunter 4 times, and only made it to Barbarian 2 times. I had a ton of matches in between.
    Is it just me or is flamingo stance the worst fucking thing ever to deal with online?
    Is it just me or is flamingo stance the worst fucking thing ever to deal with online?

It is pretty irritating, especially since I had to fight a bunch of Sarahs yesterday. I'm trying to find a moment where I can parry one of the kicks and shut the whole thing down. I believe there are gaps in between attacks where you can act.
    It is pretty irritating, especially since I had to fight a bunch of Sarahs yesterday. I'm trying to find a moment where I can parry one of the kicks and shut the whole thing down. I believe there are gaps in between attacks where you can act.

Trust me, I've been searching for low punch opportunities. I've had mixed results. The problem is that low punch sabaki. Trying to evade online is risky even though it's generally the best option against flamingo shit. Another thing is I still don't know exactly when she has to stop swinging.

I'm thinking some solutions might character specific, but Jean and Brad have some very specific reversals/parries. I'm tempted to throw out Brad's P+K+G for free ass stomping, but he's ridiculously unsafe standing there with his knee up if it fails. Jean can't even parry or sabaki kicks harumph harumph.