Remora Official Thread - RGB LED control for MadCatz FightSticks

Comments

• purplearmspurplearms Joystick mod sensei Joined: Posts: 955
    hey i ordered remora arc eyes and te-s kitty on friday it says i got an email saying that it has been shipped on saturday, i know monday was a holiday and tuesday was the first business day this week, i figured by today the tracking would be updated but it still only says electronic info received... any answers as to whether the package has been sent to them etc...?

USPS has horrible tracking. Always has, always will...
    My custom stick, table, install vids, other fun stuff: http://www.youtube.com/PurpleArms
    Arc-Eye 3 LEDs: http://goo.gl/BlNQc
    ·
  • DeanstaDeansta Joined: Posts: 485
    Chun-Li TE + Remora + Arceye3 = A dream come true. Thanks Toodles and Purplearms for making great products that are super easy to install and beautiful together. Blue on press, with "fav_breathe" screensaver is what I am rocking right now.

A suggestion for future remora features...
    Not sure if it has been mentioned but it would be nice to be able to adjust the activation time for the screensaver, maybe 30 second increments?
    ·
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,777
    Not sure if it has been mentioned but it would be nice to be able to adjust the activation time for the screensaver, maybe 30 second increments?
    I hadn't thought of that; I'll get it added to my todo list for future features.
    ·
  • keemybkeemyb Joined: Posts: 7
    Hello,
    I'm mocking up some stick designs, would it be possible for someone to let me know the dimensions of the Remora?
    The basic rectangular profile will do but the plus shaped profile will be even better.
    ·
    4.199"x2.04"
    The length wont be changing, but Im going to try to reduce the 2.04" width when I add the PS3 headers in the next revision to avoid some of the Pro case problems.
    ·
  • bgmk100bgmk100 Joined: Posts: 81
    Will there be a way to update the remoras software, or will I have to buy an updated version. If I recall I remember hearing that only 2% of the Remoras memory is used. One thing I would like is the inverse feature the widget had where all the lights would display and fade out or disappear depending which base mode was selected.
    ·
  • DonkeyBlonkeyDonkeyBlonkey Part-Time Warrior/Soldier! Joined: Posts: 1,409 ✭✭
    Alright this is my second Remora installation. Previously I used the Chimp SMD but now I am using a TE Kitty with black screw terminals.

Where do I plug a wire in to get power from the TE Kitty. For instance, the Chimp, I connected the VCC on the Remora to the VCC on the Chimp. How does the TE Kitty go about?
    Bond: Vodka Martini.
    Bartender: Shaken or Stirred?
    Bond: Does it look like I give a damn?
    ·
  • joyfull78joyfull78 Joey Joined: Posts: 64
    Alright this is my second Remora installation. Previously I used the Chimp SMD but now I am using a TE Kitty with black screw terminals.

Where do I plug a wire in to get power from the TE Kitty. For instance, the Chimp, I connected the VCC on the Remora to the VCC on the Chimp. How does the TE Kitty go about?
    Aren't there two VCC's for USB connections in kitty? U can use either one of them by putting two lines to one spot.
    ·
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

power is power is power
    i personally tapped from the 360 side of the TE kitty, or tap from either VCC spot on the 360pcb
    ·
  • 337moody337moody Joined: Posts: 9
    Is it possible to connect both the Remora and the SparkCE to the VCC on the TE Kitty? Just stick both power wires into the screw/spring terminal on th Kitty? Will this work safely without damaging anything, or is there a better way? Maybe Remora to TE Kitty then SparkCE to Remora VCC?
    ·
  • Outside of TimeOutside of Time Joined: Posts: 8
    Hey toodles, I have a slight problem. One of my arc eye3s doesn't transition to green or any variation of it. I tested the arc eye and it is good, so is the Remora PCB. I swapped the cable and it worked perfectly. I was wondering if i could purchase a replacement cable from you?

Also is there a pcb you can recommend to make the stick light up as well?
    (I'm not afraid to solder)

Thanks for your time.
    ·
    you can get an fgwidget but that's overkill
    you can solder a vcc and gnd with a resistor inline on the vcc side, and solder to a led
    ·
    What kind of resistor? Is there anyway to select which color the led will be? I'm thinking of using this: http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/en/paradise-arcade-custom-parts/585-short-jlf-rgb-shaft-kit-w-slip-ring.html
    ·
    that works wonders but you should snip off what you don't need
    use this to figure out which LED/resistor combo to use:
    http://ledcalc.com/
    buy LEDs here:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g6/c455/s117/list/p1/Lighting-LEDs-3mm_LED-Page1.html
    you'll also need a hollow shaft from paradise arcade
    ·
    Thanks for your help! I have one last question. Is there any way to wire the ball top to the remora and have it use the tournament mode function? (if i hold all 3 kicks while plugging it in the ball top will not light up)
    ·
    Will there be a way to update the remoras software, or will I have to buy an updated version. If I recall I remember hearing that only 2% of the Remoras memory is used. One thing I would like is the inverse feature the widget had where all the lights would display and fade out or disappear depending which base mode was selected.
    The Remora is not firmware upgradable.
    Aren't there two VCC's for USB connections in kitty? U can use either one of them by putting two lines to one spot.
    The one in the OUT section is for the power coming from the USB cable. The one in the XBOX section is the 'cleaned' power thats been through the diode. Use the one in the XBOX section, or any spot on the TE pcb like Vicko mentions.
    Is it possible to connect both the Remora and the SparkCE to the VCC on the TE Kitty? Just stick both power wires into the screw/spring terminal on th Kitty? Will this work safely without damaging anything, or is there a better way? Maybe Remora to TE Kitty then SparkCE to Remora VCC?
    If you can get all of the wires into the spring/screw terminal, go for it, it wont damage anything. The spring terminals arent as easy to use with multiple wires, so I'd recommend soldering them to the through hole for the XBOX section VCC point next to the screw/spring terminals.
    Hey toodles, I have a slight problem. One of my arc eye3s doesn't transition to green or any variation of it. I tested the arc eye and it is good, so is the Remora PCB. I swapped the cable and it worked perfectly. I was wondering if i could purchase a replacement cable from you?

Also is there a pcb you can recommend to make the stick light up as well?
    (I'm not afraid to solder)

Thanks for your time.
    You can use one of the EX points on the remora to control a single LED for a breathing pattern, or a simple 'on', and both do respect tournament mode. As for a replacement ribbon, please send me a PM about it with your paypal address and zip code and I'll get a replacement out.
    ·
  • joyfull78joyfull78 Joey Joined: Posts: 64
    I'm not sure if this thread is suitable for my question, but I'm trying to make a connector cable from TE-(and Remora-)compatible JST connector to Hori VLX-compatible Ribbon cable connector (looking like old IDE cable connector) for clean install of Remora in Hori VLX.
    So, I'm trying to buy a crimping tool to handle both of two different pins, and those pins, and some ribbon cable.
    I'm trying to find them from digi-keys, ebay, or whatever, but first of all, I'm not sure how to find the right crimp tool for my needs. Preferably, I'm looking for crimp tool with wire stripping capabilities as well.
    Could anyone point me to some suitable product? also where to find those two different connectors as well?
    Ribbon cable is just a cable, so I guess it's easy to find one.
    ·
    You can use one of the EX points on the remora to control a single LED for a breathing pattern, or a simple 'on', and both do respect tournament mode. [/quote]
    Where is the ex point on the remora, and where do I put vcc and ground wires for led.
    ·
    They're labeled E1 and E2, two through hole points in the lower right of the board. For say the breathing one, I'd recommend E2 to resistor, other leg of resistor to cathode leg of LED, anode leg of LED to ground.
    ·
  • Drift_SRKDrift_SRK Joined: Posts: 27
    My Remora seems to be "forgetting" lately. At seemingly random times (to me), the stick will forget my saved colors / screensaver or forget that I have set it up with only 6 buttons (will cycle all 8 in screensavers.) Weirder still, when it forgets the 6 button config and I unplug, replug+Start/Select, and reassign to fix, the Remora sometimes remembers my saved colors and screensaver. Isn't the Plug+Start+Select supposed to reset completely? This "forgetting" has occurred on both 360 and PS3. Madcatz SFxT VS 360 w/ TE-Kitty + -S harness.
    ·
    They're labeled E1 and E2, two through hole points in the lower right of the board. For say the breathing one, I'd recommend E2 to resistor, other leg of resistor to cathode leg of LED, anode leg of LED to ground.

thanks as always toodles
    ·
  • GLORYBE26ODGLORYBE26OD Joined: Posts: 445

thanks as always toodles
    also i dont have a resistor attached to it the dangers?
    Does this stick only has one Ramora in it?
    ·
    Does this stick only has one Ramora in it?
    Yessir no other led pcbs.

The remora 13 ribbon connectors sets, 2 for te-s cn-1 cn-2, 2 for te cn-1 cn-2, you use which depending on the stick you have. Then the 8 for the face buttons to which there is a connector for arc eyes and 2 quick disconnects for the buttons. Then a final connector for start and select buttons. In addition on the remora there is 2 holes labeled E1 and E2 .

E1 is used to make a light be on and stay on and E2 for the glowing effect you see. You solder a power cable to one of those slots depending on which mode you want that wire is then soldered to a resistor that is compatible for your power setup and the led type that is soldered in line with the cathode leg of the led. Then the other leg is has wire soldered to it and you can use the screw terminal on ground to ground that wire (many options for ground just the easiest for me).

FYI Just in case you don't know the cathode is the shorter leg of led's (usually) if you come across led's of the same leg length there are other ways to tell *google is your friend*
    ·
    Yessir no other led pcbs.

The remora 13 ribbon connectors sets, 2 for te-s cn-1 cn-2, 2 for te cn-1 cn-2, you use which depending on the stick you have. Then the 8 for the face buttons to which there is a connector for arc eyes and 2 quick disconnects for the buttons. Then a final connector for start and select buttons. In addition on the remora there is 2 holes labeled E1 and E2 .

E1 is used to make a light be on and stay on and E2 for the glowing effect you see. You solder a power cable to one of those slots depending on which mode you want that wire is then soldered to a resistor that is compatible for your power setup and the led type that is soldered in line with the cathode leg of the led. Then the other leg is has wire soldered to it and you can use the screw terminal on ground to ground that wire (many options for ground just the easiest for me).

FYI Just in case you don't know the cathode is the shorter leg of led's (usually) if you come across led's of the same leg length there are other ways to tell *google is your friend*
    You sir are my friend. That info is what I needed. My builds will be so much cleaner and efficient with the info you provided. Thank you.
    ·
    You sir are my friend. That info is what I needed. My builds will be so much cleaner and efficient with the info you provided. Thank you.
    Your welcome not a problem. In addition I loved the ripple effect but wanted light up on demand so i broke out an fgwidget from another stick and there's no power issues (at least with the 360) I'm sure the ps3 still pumps out 5v for usb so this shouldn't pose any problem for those two boards to be used in unison. Can't say if it can handle a dual mod pcb in addition though.
    ·
  • symonds85symonds85 Joined: Posts: 179
    hello, I already have remora and I love it, now I want to use pele to light up my 24mm buttons,
    Does remora work with pele from paradiese arcade shop?
    ·
    if its common ground it does
    ·
    Your welcome not a problem. In addition I loved the ripple effect but wanted light up on demand so i broke out an fgwidget from another stick and there's no power issues (at least with the 360) I'm sure the ps3 still pumps out 5v for usb so this shouldn't pose any problem for those two boards to be used in unison. Can't say if it can handle a dual mod pcb in addition though.

So I want to light up the buttons on my stickless controller directionals. I want to use Arch Eye 3's. Can I connect the E2 on the Remora to them?
    ·
    So I want to light up the buttons on my stickless controller directionals. I want to use Arch Eye 3's. Can I connect the E2 on the Remora to them?
    Unfortunately not to each of them. You would only be able to power one button with one color because e2 doesn't have the rgb control so you would only be able to solder to one of the pins on the light and it would just continue to breathe like my ball does. I may be wrong here it may be able to daisy chain the power wire to all of 4 different arc eyes but I am certain you can only have one color supported. (I am not an electronics pro so hopefully someone more qualified can verify whether this works or not).
    ·
    Unfortunately not to each of them. You would only be able to power one button with one color because e2 doesn't have the rgb control so you would only be able to solder to one of the pins on the light and it would just continue to breathe like my ball does. I may be wrong here it may be able to daisy chain the power wire to all of 4 different arc eyes but I am certain you can only have one color supported. (I am not an electronics pro so hopefully someone more qualified can verify whether this works or not).
    Guru's. Can you answer this for me? I don't need light up on button press or colors to change. Hopefully I get an answer before I get to experimenting.
    ·
  • deaded by pandadeaded by panda Joined: Posts: 290 ✭✭
    Installing on a VS stick right now. Where are you running the ground from the remora to?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    i suck at video games
    ·
    Installing on a VS stick right now. Where are you running the ground from the remora to?

MANY CHOICES you can splice the usb and solder to the black ground wire. For dual mods using any of toodles boards can use the same screw terminal as the usb's ground or any extra spots if you have a chimp smd. Exclusive to the ground wire and not the VCC wire you can shove the wire in between one of the pins of the microswitch of a button but YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE THE GROUND WIRE IN THAT SPOT AND NOT THE SIGNAL WIRE then plug the signal wire in the other pin. The ground wire on the ribbon cable to the button is the wire next to the set of wires that separate and make the header for the lights. If you need to see a visual representation of this purple arms has a picture of the end of the ribbon with labels for what each wire is on the first post of the arc eye 3 thread.
    ·
    MANY CHOICES you can splice the usb and solder to the black ground wire. For dual mods using any of toodles boards can use the same screw terminal as the usb's ground or any extra spots if you have a chimp smd. Exclusive to the ground wire and not the VCC wire you can shove the wire in between one of the pins of the microswitch of a button but YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE THE GROUND WIRE IN THAT SPOT AND NOT THE SIGNAL WIRE then plug the signal wire in the other pin. The ground wire on the ribbon cable to the button is the wire next to the set of wires that separate and make the header for the lights. If you need to see a visual representation of this purple arms has a picture of the end of the ribbon with labels for what each wire is on the first post of the arc eye 3 thread.

Ok. Got it by flipping the board upside down and soldering it to the board.

Only 1 problem exists.. Button mapping is all messed up. I did the reset and put in the order given on the sheet, but it's still off by a lot.

I assumed there was no order needed on the remora when plugging in the buttons to it. Only thing I am thinking is the cn1 and 2 were swapped. I labeled them correctly. But I'll give it a shot

Ninja edit: I'm a moron. The angle I was viewing the qd on the remora didn't allow me to see that the qd's were labeled with the assigned button. Wow.
    i suck at video games
    ·
    Ok. Got it by flipping the board upside down and soldering it to the board.

Only 1 problem exists.. Button mapping is all messed up. I did the reset and put in the order given on the sheet, but it's still off by a lot.

I assumed there was no order needed on the remora when plugging in the buttons to it. Only thing I am thinking is the cn1 and 2 were swapped. I labeled them correctly. But I'll give it a shot

Ninja edit: I'm a moron. The angle I was viewing the qd on the remora didn't allow me to see that the qd's were labeled with the assigned button. Wow.

Yea fortunately toodles was nice enough so that if you wanted rb to be the top left button that you get the lights to display in correct order for screen saver and have it not be locked by button which is nice. It lead me to the idea of messing with the light mapping order to change how certain screen savers appear because you could make the lights display in any order using this trick I'm gonna post a vid later since you've brought this up indirectly.
    ·

You dont have to worry about the ground; it will use the one through the ribbon cables to the main TE board. You just need to supply power.
    Yea fortunately toodles was nice enough so that if you wanted rb to be the top left button that you get the lights to display in correct order for screen saver and have it not be locked by button which is nice. It lead me to the idea of messing with the light mapping order to change how certain screen savers appear because you could make the lights display in any order using this trick I'm gonna post a vid later since you've brought this up indirectly.
    You mean like the cylon/spiral type screen savers? If there's another order you think would look good, let me know and I'll make sure its in the next rev.
    ·
  • TomatitoTomatito I like to fight Joined: Posts: 112
    So i ordered a remora board anticipating the PS360+ shipping but it got pushed back again so I went with a chimp SMD. It came together great and works except the red doesn't work at all. Any time its supposed to be red it just goes dark. When I enter setup mode #5 stays dark as well. Any ideas what this could be?
    UMvC3: Cap/Hulk/Dorm & Spenc/Cap/Task
    Tekken whatever: Paul all day
    SF4: Gouken
    BBCP: Izayoi
    SoulCalibur (all of them): Siegfried

PSN: KentoHardRok
    ·
    So i ordered a remora board anticipating the PS360+ shipping but it got pushed back again so I went with a chimp SMD. It came together great and works except the red doesn't work at all. Any time its supposed to be red it just goes dark. When I enter setup mode #5 stays dark as well. Any ideas what this could be?
    What does it look like during the startup splash test? (Hold Start on plugging in). It should flash the buttons in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 order in white, then all blue, all green, all red. What does your do when you do that?
    ·
    it goes from dark to blue then green then dark again then it rolls into what looks like screen saver mode

·
    Sounds like the ribbons to the arceyes are put on backwards.
    ·
    yup and thank you :)

·
    Got everything working and I'm loving it.

Only 1 more problem. When I set all my buttons to red (100 percent red at that) whenever I use my favorite colors in a screen saver, it always mixes a dark pink and off white instead. Whenever I set it to use a default they all light the correct color.

Also, if I can make a suggestion. When setting up favorites, the holding the down button under rgb cycles and makes it really annoying cause it's hard to get it 100%. In the future would there be a way to set it so holding the button down goes to 0% of that color?

i suck at video games
    ·
    Suggestion. When programming the preferences of the lights make a way to turn off the outputs.
    ·
  • MusicalxFelonyMusicalxFelony Joined: Posts: 5
    i'm doing the whole ps360+/remora/arc eye 3 setup on my stick. but i also want to do a LED mod with my balltop and have it fade in & out like the one in the video above except only when i move the stick. have it light up when i go a certain direction and fade out when i go back to neutral. will i have to get FG widget for that with the remora to do that? im sorry im one of those guys that really doesn't have much of a clue of what im doing and new to all this.
    K.O.F XIII: Karate/Mai/Yuri
    V.F 5: Sarah Bryant
    ·
  • symonds85symonds85 Joined: Posts: 179
    Hello, I purchased second Remora and I am trying to use Pele with remora.
    I have contacted Paradisearcade and brian told me that remora needs modification
    Can you please tell me what I need to do to mod the remora?
    ·
    Hello, I purchased second Remora and I am trying to use Pele with remora.
    I have contacted Paradisearcade and brian told me that remora needs modification
    Can you please tell me what I need to do to mod the remora?

Non arceye devices will not be officially supported here. Sorry
    My custom stick, table, install vids, other fun stuff: http://www.youtube.com/PurpleArms
    ·
  • POPSKNZPOPSKNZ Joined: Posts: 26
    Had fun putting this together for a PS3 TE, was wondering if the Remora will work with a Madcatz Brawlstick?
    ·
    Had fun putting this together for a PS3 TE, was wondering if the Remora will work with a Madcatz Brawlstick?

Yes it should.. brawlstick is mostly the same as a TE on the inside
    ·
  • alphakennyalphakenny Joined: Posts: 62
    Can anyone confirm that SparkCE, Remora, and 8x Arc Eyes 3 will work together? I am worried about power consumption and SparkCE is higher priority. Thanks.
    ·
    Can anyone confirm that SparkCE, Remora, and 8x Arc Eyes 3 will work together? I am worried about power consumption and SparkCE is higher priority. Thanks.

i covered this already in the thread somewhere.. short answer is dont worry about it
    ·
  • SynchroSynchro Joined: Posts: 25
    Im sorry if this is a dumb question but ive looked through this entire forum and the EVO 2012 stick forum and still havent found an answer. I was wondering if its possible to install the remora + arceyes into my PS3 EVO stick?
    ·