Worth it?

Captain SaltyCaptain Salty Time to get Paid!Joined: Posts: 91
Hello!

I'm currently playing the trial mode of Skullgirls on XBLA, and firstly I must say the art and art style is fantastic! Absolutely love it!

However, is it worth buying? I know a lot of you will simply say it is because hey I'm in that area of the forum it makes sense. But, are there any games you can liken it to? Any golden points and any flaws pointed out would be nice too, and also what is the online like? Many players, good netcode etc?

I just want to make sure before I sink 1200 points into it. Thanks :)
FINAL

Comments

• PerthoPertho FutharSWAG Joined: Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    snip

Its a mix between Guilty Gear and MvC2. It is very much worth it.

Not too many players online at the moment but you can find people directly here on SRK. The Netcode is fantastic.

Don't buy the hype that the game is complicated to play; it isn't really hard to pick up. It just so happens that the combos are a little hard. People usually take hard combos to do as a sign that the game is hard to play.
  • SoriphenSoriphen Joined: Posts: 42
    If it stayed the way it is now except with no support and barely any change, then no. Luckily, Mike Z and team is at the helm with their CONSTANT support and the amount of things that will go into this game will make it a worthwhile purchase. They have a huge patch coming that is the biggest I've seen in any fighting game, which addresses and tweaks so many flaws/inconsistencies/etc. of the game that it's not even funny. Every fighting game has to start somewhere lol.

So, yes, it's definitely worth a buy thanks to knowing that the game will keep getting better.
  • Captain SaltyCaptain Salty Time to get Paid! Joined: Posts: 91
    After playing through the trial it did seem a lot of fun.

Is there any point in buying it now and not waiting until the patch comes out to buy it?

One thing I did notice, is that there seems to be a lack of character specific trial modes, or are they all included in the locked (for trial mode) tutorial lessons?
    FINAL
    WTF! Are you buying this waste! Everyone, stop buying Skullgirls, since it only has female characters! It's a waste of money! Why the hell are you wasting money on this game!

Did you sign up just to post that?
    FINAL
  • PerthoPertho FutharSWAG Joined: Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you sign up just to post that?

Yes he did.

There are no trial modes like in SF4 or Marvel; the tutorial is there to teach people how to play fighting games in general. We do have the threads and plenty of stuff in the various combo threads so you won't be without stuff to get you started. There is a patch incoming which will change the way the combo system works so expect an incoming flood of new stuff soon.
    Thanks Pertho.

Like you say, when I saw the stuff on this forum that had all the character specific support I was taken aback by the amount of support for an XBLA/PSN game. I'm definitely considering dishing out my MSP now.

Seems quite unique in the sense that you can just choose one character to fight against someone elses 3 characters, but they're all powered down/up accordingly. That's quite cool.
    FINAL
  • ZidianeZidiane HyperCharging YOLO STAR Joined: Posts: 1,222
    Is it worth buying? I just want to make sure before I sink 1200 points into it. Thanks :)

I don't have much extra money, not having a job and all, so when I spend money I really feel it. That said, I feel that Skullgirls has been the best $15 I've ever spent. I'm not sure that I've had more fun with any other game (aside from maybe the Disgaea series). Between the game's awesomeness, having chances to speak directly with Mike Z very often, beautiful art, extensive color sets (eventually), the IPS that gives you freedom and structure at the same time, It's just... amazing. The game is still very bare-bones, only eight characters and limited online abilities and modes (all going to be beefed up soon), but for 15 bucks and the promise of things to come (including the free 24 colors coming in the upcoming patch (3 per character), and the additional 32 colors after that (4 per character) for $1 per character or $4 for all of them) I have not once regretted buying the game. I've enjoyed it more than I ever imagined I could.
    xbl/psn: Zidiane/zidiane5
    Skullgirls: Cerebella, SSB Melee: Kirby, Samus
    Ever wonder how to play Cerebella, of Skullgirls fame? Here's a guide I made!
    Hrm, the game is definitely getting a platinum reception, and I most definitely respect everybody's opinion on this forum. Except maybe for people like SockNight's.

Could anybody explain the custom input assist? I never got a chance to check it out.
    FINAL
    Could anybody explain the custom input assist? I never got a chance to check it out.
    It's exactly how it sounds. You like Cerebella's AA grab? Use that as your assist by inputting it on the character screen. If instead you want her c.HP? That's your assist. The only attacks that don't work as custom assists are jumping moves and button-holding moves.
    That's genius! What about super assist?!
    FINAL
    Oh, yeah, sorry, that's the other thing you can't do. It was possible in earlier builds of the game, but they changed it because it was too broken or something.
    Oh, yeah, sorry, that's the other thing you can't do. It was possible in earlier builds of the game, but they changed it because it was too broken or something.

I can only imagine, but still props for trying it! Okay that does sound pretty impressive, either way.
    FINAL
    No I didn't, idiot! I sign up to tell everyone to stop playing Skullgirls, because it's a waste of money! Who the f* likes playing as female characters? Only 5% of the people out of 100% like playing as female characters.
    Only 5% of humans enjoy playing as female characters...? You mean, disregarding all females who like playing females as much as males like playing males, and all of the males who don't feel obligated to play nothing but their own genders, and any males who can't identify with male characters as well as female characters?
    I'd be more surprised if males wouldn't -rather- play females.

If you're gonna' play a game for a long time, at least have a bit of eye candy to stare at, right?
    FINAL
  • SugaFreeSugaFree NAW SON Joined: Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭
    I bought it, it is a fun game. I don't play it as much as Marvel or SF4, but it is definitely worth the $15.

• XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX OMG EREN HOLY SHEEEYYYYYT! Joined: Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought they were gonna add character trials in the newest update aren't they? Don't remember exactly where I saw it though.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
    I thought they were gonna add character trials in the newest update aren't they? Don't remember exactly where I saw it though.
    Yep, it's coming. I don't know exactly if it's combo trials or tutorials like in BB though.
    Oh, yeah they are adding character-specific trials... I'm almost positive.
    That makes me want to buy it even more, that and how bad SockNight doesn't want me to buy it. :3
    FINAL
    Oh, wow, the ignore button DOES work!
  • SugaFreeSugaFree NAW SON Joined: Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭
    WTF, you guys still buying this ****! It's a f***in waste of money! Why not buy VF5?

Fuck that pussy ass censorship. Just type shit out how it was meant to be typed.

That said, fuck you. Skullgirls is great.

• Skyking_jSkyking_j Nami! Onepiece! Oda! Joined: Posts: 178
    - Added Character Tutorials: Each character now has simple tutorials in place to teach the beginning players how to perform all of their Special and Blockbuster attacks, with some helpful tips on their use. (Note: Completing these tutorials is now a requirement for the “Sküllgirls” trophy/achievement.)

I don't think its to teach bnb's though...

EDIT: and ya it's worth it
    ...If you haven't noticed I'm a One piece fan.
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
  • palipali PSN:Heavyjugz Joined: Posts: 976
    Damn i missed SockNight going HAM, big LOL at the VF5 though. That game is ASSCHEEKS
  • Raging GhostRaging Ghost Anarchic Witchkiller Joined: Posts: 165
    Okay, I'm late because I already got that game, but in your opinion, how steep actually the learning curve is?
  • DRaGZ141DRaGZ141 Joined: Posts: 385
    Okay, I'm late because I already got that game, but in your opinion, how steep actually the learning curve is?
    Execution-wise, not steep at all. I'd say SFIV requires much stiffer execution skills than SG. In terms of understanding gameplay mechanics and "getting good," the rabbit hole goes very deep.
  • girlystylegirlystyle Only plays Fugazi Joined: Posts: 1,804
    i would say the execution is much easier in sfiv then in skull girls, but that is just what I find personally.

Its somewhere between mvc2 and mvc3 for me.
    people only pay attention to me because of my vagina awesome penis
  • DRaGZ141DRaGZ141 Joined: Posts: 385
    i would say the execution is much easier in sfiv then in skull girls, but that is just what I find personally.

Its somewhere between mvc2 and mvc3 for me.

SG doesn't have double motions + triple buttons for nearly every super, or FADCs (I hate FADCed DPs so much), or 720s, or 1-frame links that are necessary for the viability of certain character (Sakura).

In fact, a big reason I moved from Ibuki to Akuma in SFIV was because I got tired of double motions and actually find doing the Raging Demon input way easier.

I'd say it's about as easy as MvC3. The only thing that makes it a bit trickier is the number of buttons and that each button is quite useful for each character.
    yes but to some execution be
    comes more difficult in different areas. I have no trouble with 1 frame links, 720s, fadc-ing, all that jazz because its generally more singular or rhythm based. where i have trouble with exectuion is with longer style combos, where I have to be consistent with a long series of inputs.

in that sense, high level skull girls is much harder then sf4
  • LKArtilleryLKArtillery and bullets too slow Joined: Posts: 553
    I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree there, buddy. Also, there will be male characters... :U Now here's my take: I'm a complete noob, but the game's controls aren't too complex for me to enjoy. Honestly, I've been invested in this game for a long time and it didn't let me down upon release. So I'd say definitely worth it. :>
  • shiningnegroshiningnegro Joined: Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭
    Everyone, stop fuckin buying this game for good! This game only has boobs and nothing else! Seriously, stop buying this game!! Who the fuck wants to play female characters?

I exclusively main females in all my fighting games so *raises hand* next question :)
    Lone Wolf Pack Interactive (New Indie Game Company)
    PSN: OneNappyNinja
    Main Games: TTT2 (Mains - Lily/Bruce) & SSF4:AE2012 (Main - Ibuki)
    SRK Fairy Gym Leader (Wifi) Friend Code: 1693-0954-9411
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,023
    Everyone, stop fuckin buying this game for good! This game only has boobs and nothing else! Seriously, stop buying this game!! Who the fuck wants to play female characters?
    I do.

SF2 - Chun-Li
    SSF2 - Cammy
    SFA3 - Cammy
    MK1 - Sonya
    MK2 - Kitana, Mileena
    MK3 - Sindel, Sonya
    UMK3 - Kitana, Mileena, Jade, Sonya
    SS - Nakoruru
    SS2 - Cham Cham
    SS3 - Nakoruru Bust
    Tekken 2 - Nina
    Tekken 4 - Christie, Anna
    Tekken 6 - Zafina
    MK9 - Skarlet, Kitana, Mileena, Sindel, Sheeva, Sonya

Guys I play:
    SS4 - Sogetsu, Kazuki
    MK9 - Freddy, Rain, Kenshi

I don't understand why you made two accounts just to tell people to not buy this game. Did you lose a tournament to someone doing combos? Or are you THAT seriously insecure with your sexuality that you can't have a female character doing your motions?
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
  • Uncivilized ElkUncivilized Elk Joined: Posts: 713
    He seems to just be a sexist troll from GF who also makes comments of "Females shouldn't play video games."
    PSN: Uncivilized_Elk
    SSF2 - Cammy

Oh god I'm so sorry
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,735 mod
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it sucks.

That said, don't respond to trolls, guys. Feeding them with replies only makes it worse. Report them, add them to your ignore list, and then move on.
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

Is Dat SockKnight??? LOOOOL
  • guitalex2007guitalex2007 Joined: Posts: 3,023
    Oh god I'm so sorry
    LOL yeah.

Then again I wasn't really into competitive fighting games by then so I was like IDGAF.
    Ms. Fortune is great. Everybody likes a little head action every now and then.
    Stream here! Follow @guitalex on Twitter for stream updates!
  • Squire GrooktookSquire Grooktook The Releaser Joined: Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Its a mix between Guilty Gear and MvC2. It is very much worth it..

I would just add here that it's much closer to Mvc2 then it is Guilty Gear. Not just because of the assists, but just the general logic of the game.
    If it stayed the way it is now except with no support and barely any change, then no.

Honestly, I'd have to disagree. The game is worth far more then it's current admission price as is.
    Squire Grooktook: 5 dollars extra and you could have had Skullgirls instead of Divekick.
    Squire Grooktook: You are dead to me.
    [UCF]psychoripper: too bad i wanted divekick more
    Squire Grooktook: YOU SUCK
    [UCF]psychoripper: more of my local friends are playing it
    Squire Grooktook: SOCIAL GAMER
    [UCF]psychoripper: shut up
    Squire Grooktook: NEVER
  • Raging GhostRaging Ghost Anarchic Witchkiller Joined: Posts: 165
    Still, I gotta enjoy the fact that this game have custom OSTs and the possibility of playing a solo character.
    I would just add here that it's much closer to Mvc2 then it is Guilty Gear. Not just because of the assists, but just the general logic of the game.

Honestly, I'd have to disagree. The game is worth far more then it's current admission price as is.

It's hard to say considering that it offers a good amount for the admission price...but, I still wouldn't want to buy a fighting game that would die in a couple months because of no support. It isn't like MvC2 times where there's no chance of patching, etc. I expect the support for a fighting game these days to help make it as good as can be. Even if SG can never get patched, the game wouldn't evolve to the vision Mike Z had for it because of how one-sided the gameplay can get with its combos.

OK let me rephrase, it's worth the price for a fighting game at 15 bucks, but, I expect much more from SG. I can't see how it can survive with the top contenders of fighting games at its current state, especially when so many people have stopped playing the game because of the promising patch that's coming. It shows that a lot of people don't like how the game plays at its current state.

Lol, I'm being too harsh...but, my expectations are high for SG and I really love the game, besides the many problems with it.
  • Squire GrooktookSquire Grooktook The Releaser Joined: Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    It's hard to say considering that it offers a good amount for the admission price...but, I still wouldn't want to buy a fighting game that would die in a couple months because of no support. It isn't like MvC2 times where there's no chance of patching, etc. I expect the support for a fighting game these days to help make it as good as can be. Even if SG can never get patched, the game wouldn't evolve to the vision Mike Z had for it because of how one-sided the gameplay can get with its combos.

OK let me rephrase, it's worth the price for a fighting game at 15 bucks, but, I expect much more from SG. I can't see how it can survive with the top contenders of fighting games at its current state, especially when so many people have stopped playing the game because of the promising patch that's coming.

I understand what you're saying. It's like what if Guilty Gear never got past Missing Link? Or if Marvel not got past MSH?

But still, I think it's worth playing even without support. Because it offers a unique and well designed (if somewhat rough around the edges) experience. It doesn't top Mvc2 or Super Turbo, but it's a good game and worth playing.

Even if the game was dead, I'd still probably play it with my circle of friends.
    Squire Grooktook: 5 dollars extra and you could have had Skullgirls instead of Divekick.
    Squire Grooktook: You are dead to me.
    [UCF]psychoripper: too bad i wanted divekick more
    Squire Grooktook: YOU SUCK
    [UCF]psychoripper: more of my local friends are playing it
    Squire Grooktook: SOCIAL GAMER
    [UCF]psychoripper: shut up
    Squire Grooktook: NEVER
    I understand what you're saying. It's like what if Guilty Gear never got past Missing Link? Or if Marvel not got past MSH?

But still, I think it's worth playing even without support. Because it offers a unique and well designed (if somewhat rough around the edges) experience. It doesn't top Mvc2 or Super Turbo, but it's a good game and worth playing.

Even if the game was dead, I'd still probably play it with my circle of friends.

I think that's the difference between your view and mine :(. The main problem with my situation is that I can barely play the game online because it's basically dead. I can't find a game the regular way without having to search for 20 mins, and the ping most of the time is unplayable. I can't even play on 50-60 ping without the game lagging when it shouldn't. I guess cause I am an online warrior that I'm annoyed. Lucky for me, I have the fighting game scene in downtown Toronto...but, I'd go nuts if I didn't have a scene.

Anyway, it's still hard for me to say as of now, but, I agree for the most part. It's definitely a fun game, even at its stage right now. Can't wait till' patch! It answers all my problems with the game.
    I think that's the difference between your view and mine :(. The main problem with my situation is that I can barely play the game online because it's basically dead. I can't find a game the regular way without having to search for 20 mins, and the ping most of the time is unplayable. I can't even play on 50-60 ping without the game lagging when it shouldn't. I guess cause I am an online warrior that I'm annoyed. Lucky for me, I have the fighting game scene in downtown Toronto...but, I'd go nuts if I didn't have a scene.

Anyway, it's still hard for me to say as of now, but, I agree for the most part. It's definitely a fun game, even at its stage right now. Can't wait till' patch! It answers all my problems with the game.

Downtown Toronto scene? for skullgirls? or just all fighters? where that be at?
    Downtown Toronto scene? for skullgirls? or just all fighters? where that be at?
    For all fighters. http://www.acgamesonline.com/world/

It's quite possibly the best thing since Funland. So many good players that came from Funland/Lovegety. I haven't been there for a year cause of school and lack of money, but, they held Wednesday night casuals by Toronto Top Tiers (dunno if they still do) and it's only 5 bucks for a whole day.

It's on the southwest side of Spadina & Bloor.
    For all fighters. http://www.acgamesonline.com/world/

It's quite possibly the best thing since Funland. So many good players that came from Funland/Lovegety. I haven't been there for a year cause of school and lack of money, but, they held Wednesday night casuals by Toronto Top Tiers (dunno if they still do) and it's only 5 bucks for a whole day.

It's on the southwest side of Spadina & Bloor.

Were you there this Wednesday? I was o.o
    Were you there this Wednesday? I was o.o
    I don't exactly have the money to go, since I'm saving and have no job atm...but, is it still active as hell on Wednesdays? People still playing 3s or SG for that matter?
    I don't exactly have the money to go, since I'm saving and have no job atm...but, is it still active as hell on Wednesdays? People still playing 3s or SG for that matter?
    This wednesday they had ultimate gamer for Marvel and Wednesdays seem to be a capcom day, it was only my second time there if skullgirls is on it is most likely will be on mondays but yeah its still seems mad active
  • Grizzly_MooseGrizzly_Moose All you need is lesbians! Joined: Posts: 56
    Skullgirls was well worth the 15 bucks, but I felt that a cast of only 9 characters kept me wanting more. Mikez has already confirmed that there will be downloadable characters, as well as some guy characters.
    SSF4 AE: Ibuki 
    SF3 OE: Yun, Ryu
    SkullGirls: Filia (HP Updo), Cerebella (Merry-go-rilla)
    "America Sheds a Tear!"
    Skullgirls was well worth the 15 bucks, but I felt that a cast of only 9 characters kept me wanting more. Mikez has already confirmed that there will be downloadable characters, as well as some guy characters.

Can I have the version you have! I only have 8 characters.
    Can I have the version you have! I only have 8 characters.
    You're forgetting random select, everyone always forgets about random select.