Beginner match analysis / gameplay critique thread

Comments

• nimukinimuki Joined: Posts: 8
    oh my! i made a tread for a critique but missed this one! heres the original post

'' Hello everyone!

First off,id like to say that i really like watching/reading guide about the game and go into training to polish my skills.
    Lately i have been practicing alot of hit-confirm as i found out that i was doing alot of really not safe combo when people was blocking.
    I seems that i lose alot of game beacuse i have problem positioning/get in range to do moves to start my combo's and i honestly dont know how to practice that.
    If it could help i have a video of a game i just played this morning againts a ryu (nice game btw ^^)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8-brc9WPJc8&feature=youtu.be
    (dont know how to put the video in the post so here's the link :P )

Any form of help is really appreciated! ''

• OmegamarthOmegamarth Joined: Posts: 89
    So, I saw you block a total of 9 times that game to a Ryu who seemed to be throwing out sweep whenever he got the chance.

Worse, 5 of those blocks were sweeps, to which you responded with standing mk. I don't play Karin, but I'm pretty sure that she can punish Ryu's sweep on block from that distance with AT LEAST a sweep of your own.

Combos in this game are much easier to land when you get one for free off a blocked Shoryuken. There's a lot of unsafe moves in this game. The trick is convincing the opponent to use them, and then predicting exactly when they will.
  • OmegamarthOmegamarth Joined: Posts: 89
    What's up dudes?! First time poster, long time lurker. Wanted to see what your thoughts were on my basic Ryu play-style during the 4th beta for SFV

My go to in SF4 with him used to be Jump in HK, forward MP, low MK, low Tatsumaki and basic shenanigans like that. It seems besides a couple of target combos like MP, HP, HK and of course V-Trigger and Parries, alot of Ryu's move set hasn't really changed too much. Anyway, tell me what you think! This was a casual match. I capture in 60fps, so don't forget to change your quality!

You beat that guy so hard he looked AFK at the end.
    When you block a Shoryuken in SFV, go for the crush counter instead of the target combo. Higher potential damage output. You could have shredded away his life with a combo into an EX move.
    Ah man, I've been meaning to join here for years! No time like the present I guess, lol! More so because I'm gonna start digging my heals into competitive play again that I've the means mostly. Excited to get into it, so I'll start with this video of the last SF5 beta for analysis. I plan on maining Karen and Nash but learning everyone as best I can. I'm not necessarily a newbie when it comes to the basics as I've been paying decent attention to the FGC since High School lol, but I'm always looking to improve. This is me mostly learning the differences Karin has since the 3rd beta and I start fooling with R. Mika in the last match in the vid. Any thoughts or suggestions are always welcome, and will be appropriately thanked!

I'm not watchin 30 mins. From that first game though, I don't think I need to. You seem to have a good grasp over the basics. After that it's just work work work ya know?
  • nimukinimuki Joined: Posts: 8
    Omegamarth wrote: »
    So, I saw you block a total of 9 times that game to a Ryu who seemed to be throwing out sweep whenever he got the chance.

Worse, 5 of those blocks were sweeps, to which you responded with standing mk. I don't play Karin, but I'm pretty sure that she can punish Ryu's sweep on block from that distance with AT LEAST a sweep of your own.

Combos in this game are much easier to land when you get one for free off a blocked Shoryuken. There's a lot of unsafe moves in this game. The trick is convincing the opponent to use them, and then predicting exactly when they will.

Thanks alot man,watching again my video i realise that i get hit ALOT of time for no reason,i guess i need to work more on my defence/punish.
  • FAI_CWFAI_CW Secretly a Twelve main Joined: Posts: 132
    nimuki wrote: »
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=8-brc9WPJc8&feature=youtu.be
    (dont know how to put the video in the post so here's the link :P )

Any form of help is really appreciated! ''

I saw some really unsafe jump-ins there. I mean, that Ryu didn't anti-air, but that was still pretty risky.
  • Oresama85Oresama85 The lowest tier. Joined: Posts: 15
    Please critique my endless CPU training clip.
    Last time I played a fighter was back during Tekken 3 days.

I've been practicing a bit though and want to know what I should double down on in training mode.

Been using jmcrofts YouTube videos and some execution drills gootecks suggested.

I'm afraid to go against online opponents until I get the green light from the SRK forums first.

Thanks in advance!

CPU at level 5 :|

Anybody? :|
    edited February 2016
    Oresama85 wrote: »
    I've been practicing a bit though and want to know what I should double down on in training mode.

1. You walk back a lot. Don't give your opponent so much space to work with. Once you are in the corner, the game gets a lot harder for you.

2. You use HK and HP a lot. The new priority system may help you with using such attacks, but they are still slow and not save in case the opponent blocks your hit.
    For example. You can punish a blocked HP/HK (they are both not safe) with a reversal uppercut. Critical Art from Ryu might also work, I'm not sure.
    Both MP and MK are safe if blocked, to give you an example.

3. It doesn't seem like you want to fight upclose. As a beginner, that's pretty normal. Instead of using your HP and HK constantly, try out your MK and other attacks that have more range and are faster.

4. You're very inactive when you're far away from your opponent. You saw how that CPU Ryu threw fireballs at you, right? He wants a reaction from you, and you should want the same.
    If you don't want to approach, then make them approach you. (don't -spam- fireballs though, getting predictable will lead to a jump-in and/or worse).

Hope that helps.
    In case you want me to try to help you, we can hop in a lobby and practice a bit. I don't mind. Just hit me up on Steam at FAI_CW if you want :)
  • ace_1991ace_1991 Joined: Posts: 5
    Some of the big things I need to work on is not pushing out the DP too early, however I'm having trouble seeing if I get the hit first (like on cr.HP) before doing the DP motion since I'm so focused on entering the input in time.

Here are 3 matches from yesterday, I'd greatly appreciate feedback: https://youtube.com/watch?v=DqwSWL82V7M
    ace_1991 wrote: »
    Here are 3 matches from yesterday, I'd greatly appreciate feedback: https://youtube.com/watch?v=DqwSWL82V7M

-You seem to get hit by jumping attacks quite often. Remember that blocking back will also block jump attacks.

-You don't block enough. Especially against that Birdie, you often got caught by his chain. You can block it.
    Maybe you just didn't play a Birdie before and wasn't aware, I dunno.

-Especially against that Dhalsim, you have to try to get in. Ryu can't compete with Dhalsim's range. Try to get your offense going and poke more. It didn't look like that Dhalsim was looking for crush counters.
    I'm having trouble seeing if I get the hit first (like on cr.HP) before doing the DP motion since I'm so focused on entering the input in time.

"Hit confirming" from 1 single attack is very difficult. I personally don't think that cHP is slow enough to the point where you can hitconfirm. At least I can't do it properly.
    sMP -> cMP -> DP is more realistic, although I much prefer to hitconfirm with tatsu/fireball instead.
  • ace_1991ace_1991 Joined: Posts: 5
    FAI_CW wrote: »

-You seem to get hit by jumping attacks quite often. Remember that blocking back will also block jump attacks.

-You don't block enough. Especially against that Birdie, you often got caught by his chain. You can block it.
    Maybe you just didn't play a Birdie before and wasn't aware, I dunno.

-Especially against that Dhalsim, you have to try to get in. Ryu can't compete with Dhalsim's range. Try to get your offense going and poke more. It didn't look like that Dhalsim was looking for crush counters.

Wow, I did not know that you could block the chain grabs, thank you! I barely face him so I don't know much about the matchup.

Dhalsim's seem to zone me out super hard, I have a difficult time getting in without being poked constantly. Thanks so much for the advice.
    edited February 2016
    Dhalsim's seem to zone me out super hard, I have a difficult time getting in without being poked constantly

If the matchup is anything like it was in SF4, then Ryu has a REALLY tough time.
    I believe that matchup was rated around 7-3 in Dhalsim's favour in USF4.
    Playing smart is your only choice.
    Also I forgot to mention. If he keeps on pressing buttons, try using an uppercut. He'll learn his lesson from that (don't get predictable though, I know it's tempting to uppercut a lot).
    Furthermore, your Tatsumaki can pass through projectiles like his fireball. Maybe give that a try.
  • HyugaRicdeauHyugaRicdeau Joined: Posts: 4
    Hi there, I hope nobody minds posting these, I know I'm quite bad now, but hey, we need to start somewhere and I haven't played competitively since Tekken 3...

edited February 2016
    Hi there, I hope nobody minds posting these, I know I'm quite bad now, but hey, we need to start somewhere and I haven't played competitively since Tekken 3...

You didn't play badly in that first match, in my opinion. You seem to understand how to punish a predictable fireball by jumping onto his face :P
    Don't walk back as much though. Giving your opponent so much space is not in your favor. It makes it easier for them to corner you.
    2 things I noticed in the first video:
    -You seem to charge your Kikoken by only holding back. You can charge it by holding down-back aswell. That way you don't move away from your opponent.
    -Try focusing a bit more on defense, particularly blocking jump moves correctly. You can't hold down-back to block jump attacks.

The second match you played well.
    After eating the uppercut a few times, you figured out that blocking is the way to go against that player.
    Another 2 things I noticed:
    -Again, you didn't block jumping attacks correctly.
    -You don't quick tech when you get knocked down. By pressing down (or 2 punch buttons) right before you hit the ground, you get up quickly.
    This gives your opponent less time to set up his next move.
    You can do the same with pressing back (or 2 kick buttons). This will result in you doing a roll backwards when you hit the ground, it gives you a little space back.

One last thing to add is, you should use back HP as a crush counter punish, instead of just sweeping your opponent after a blocked uppercut, for example.
    Back HP crush counter gives you options for combos. This gives you more space on the map and more damage.
    That move is good in general. It's not that slow, so you can fish for a crush counter even outside of a blocked uppercut AND it's safe in case your opponent blocks the attack.

Hope my advice helps you.
  • HyugaRicdeauHyugaRicdeau Joined: Posts: 4
    Many thanks for the analysis. Yeah, I didn't really remember about the quick tech. As for blocking jumps, if I block high I always eat the sweep that follows, so it's kinda more trying to avoid that, but I need to work on it as I eat way too much damage in a stupid way. Also, can't really pull the CA consistently, and get hit when it fails, need to work on it. I need to practice some combos too, as I don't use the punish opportnities well enough, usually a sweep or something simple like that.

I can't wait for Juri to join the SFV roster tho, have tons of fun with her in Ultra lately :)
    Many thanks for the analysis. Yeah, I didn't really remember about the quick tech. As for blocking jumps, if I block high I always eat the sweep that follows, so it's kinda more trying to avoid that, but I need to work on it as I eat way too much damage in a stupid way. Also, can't really pull the CA consistently, and get hit when it fails, need to work on it. I need to practice some combos too, as I don't use the punish opportnities well enough, usually a sweep or something simple like that.

I can't wait for Juri to join the SFV roster tho, have tons of fun with her in Ultra lately :)

Crititcal Arts are harder in SF5 than other games. You are required to do 2 complete quarter circles. (technically only down and forward are required, but a circle motion is just easier)
    You can't just skip the down input on the 2nd quarter circle like you could in SF4.
    A lot of people have trouble adjusting to this, myself included.

Getting used to blocking high/low comes with time, you'll get the hang of it.
    If you want, we can hop in a lobby at some point and practice a bit.
    You can add me on Steam at FAI_CW in case you're interested.
    I should be available Saturday evening and pretty much all of Sunday, aswell as the first half of next week.
    FAI_CW wrote: »

1. You walk back a lot. Don't give your opponent so much space to work with. Once you are in the corner, the game gets a lot harder for you.

2. You use HK and HP a lot. The new priority system may help you with using such attacks, but they are still slow and not save in case the opponent blocks your hit.
    For example. You can punish a blocked HP/HK (they are both not safe) with a reversal uppercut. Critical Art from Ryu might also work, I'm not sure.
    Both MP and MK are safe if blocked, to give you an example.

3. It doesn't seem like you want to fight upclose. As a beginner, that's pretty normal. Instead of using your HP and HK constantly, try out your MK and other attacks that have more range and are faster.

4. You're very inactive when you're far away from your opponent. You saw how that CPU Ryu threw fireballs at you, right? He wants a reaction from you, and you should want the same.
    If you don't want to approach, then make them approach you. (don't -spam- fireballs though, getting predictable will lead to a jump-in and/or worse).

Hope that helps.
    In case you want me to try to help you, we can hop in a lobby and practice a bit. I don't mind. Just hit me up on Steam at FAI_CW if you want :)

Thank you! I actually did implement some of these suggestions.

Instead of walking back I'd stand my ground, let the CPU come to me.

At long range ID Chuck fireballs at different speeds, with occasional ex Fireball.
    It helped to either push the CPU back, force him to jump over them , or the surprise ex Fireball would knock him out.

I spaced my self better and used my normals to keep him out if he tried to get to close.

Another thing that worked was, I would attack low with cMK until CPU blocked low more often, then I'd use Ryu's overhead to mix up the CPU.

On hard knockdown, I sometimes throw, and sometimes neutral jump MK or neutral jump into cHK for knockdown.

It confused the CPU for a while but then he would just wake up DP and I had to just let him get up lol.
    It confused the CPU for a while but then he would just wake up DP and I had to just let him get up lol.

See, you're already learning how to mix things up :) Progress has been made.
    Keep it up
  • Sel_FeenaSel_Feena Joined: Posts: 38
    edited March 2016
    Would it be acceptable to provide replay IDs for SFV, or should I just go ahead and record on my phone and try to UL to YT? My phone's quality isn't the best
  • GreenwoodGreenwood Earth, the only true God Joined: Posts: 881
    I'd say post the videos here. I'm not sure too many people will come here, then go onto SFV to look up a replay ID. If you're using a PS4, you can just upload videos through the PS4.
    SFV: CamCam Inj2: CawCaw

Please keep the mockery to a minimum, I know it's bad! Upset with myself that I kept jumping in, and I need to learn to deal with or avoid cross ups (Cr HP?)
  • ValoonValoon Joined: Posts: 1,805
    A game from last night against a silver Nash, every feedback would be really appreciated:

From what I can see by myself :

- Abysmal AA.
    - Too much jumping
    - Failed some punish especially a huge one round two
    - Execution fails.
    [SFV] Ken
    [USFIV] Ken
    [GG-XRD] Sol
    [Tekken 7] Dragunov Training mode
    Valoon wrote: »
    A game from last night against a silver Nash, every feedback would be really appreciated:

If you don't trust yourself with doing a slow attack or an uppercut as an anti-air, try using standing jab.
    It's quite easy to use once you get used to the timing.

Your opponent blocked a lot of your approaches. Maybe you should have gone for more throws to counter his good blocking and make him think more about pressing buttons.
    That way you can catch him with frametraps and such.

It's a cycle, or flowchart if you want to say:
    If they block, go for a throw/overhead.
    If they do DP out of block, block and crush counter.
    If they press buttons, set up a frametrap/crush counter.
    If they throw, tech the throw, beat it out with jab/short/special, or walk out of range to make the throw whiff and then punish.
    Thanks dude, but does it works on everything? I feel it would get stuffed a lot no?
    [SFV] Ken
    [USFIV] Ken
    [GG-XRD] Sol
    Does anyone know how to record match replays with the PS4?

I keep pressing share but it doesn't do anything.... :(
    Double-tap Share, you should see a movie icon pop up in top left of screen. Tap share again when you're done and ready to upload
    edited March 2016
    Thanks dude, but does it works on everything? I feel it would get stuffed a lot no?

it depends on your position and the move that your opponent uses.

If Ryu does jHK from good distance, his jHK will most likely trade with your jab (that damage trade is not in your favor btw), since its hitbox angle isn't completely horizontal. It goes downwards a little bit.
    However if you stand pretty much next to them when they are coming down from their jump, sLP is a good anti-air against most moves.
    I don't know of many forward jumping normals that have good vertical range.

So essentially you want to walk into that close range to anti-air with sLP to make it easy for yourself.
    (I'm not sure how this applies to zoning characters. They might be better off to backdash or block.)
  • AremahAremah Joined: Posts: 4
    @Oresama85 If you want to control when you start recording, do what @Sal_Feena wrote. I just use the auto-record function; if a match warrants recording, I hold the share button right after until the share menu comes up, and that gives you the option to either Save or Upload the game to YouTube. You can change the share button settings in the PS4 options (you can set one press instead of double tapping to start recording, for example).
  • samuelxlisamuelxli Joined: Posts: 10
    hi. need some help, been trying to play ryu. i can do very basic hit confirm combos such as j.hk, s.mp , c.mk, qcb mk . but thats about it. i been having trouble with executing anti airs or having shoryuken come out when i need it to. i have been doing them by double tapping crouch forward but a lot of the time a fire ball comes out or a critical art comes out instead. im not sure how to record but i play on ps4 and my tag is samuelx in sfv. if anyone can give me some pointers or tell me where i should go from here, it would be much appreciated. thanks!
    psn: samuelx1990
  • JayEss_OgaraJayEss_Ogara Joined: Posts: 8
    Omegamarth wrote: »
    What's up dudes?! First time poster, long time lurker. Wanted to see what your thoughts were on my basic Ryu play-style during the 4th beta for SFV

My go to in SF4 with him used to be Jump in HK, forward MP, low MK, low Tatsumaki and basic shenanigans like that. It seems besides a couple of target combos like MP, HP, HK and of course V-Trigger and Parries, alot of Ryu's move set hasn't really changed too much. Anyway, tell me what you think! This was a casual match. I capture in 60fps, so don't forget to change your quality!

You beat that guy so hard he looked AFK at the end.
    When you block a Shoryuken in SFV, go for the crush counter instead of the target combo. Higher potential damage output. You could have shredded away his life with a combo into an EX move.
    Ah man, I've been meaning to join here for years! No time like the present I guess, lol! More so because I'm gonna start digging my heals into competitive play again that I've the means mostly. Excited to get into it, so I'll start with this video of the last SF5 beta for analysis. I plan on maining Karen and Nash but learning everyone as best I can. I'm not necessarily a newbie when it comes to the basics as I've been paying decent attention to the FGC since High School lol, but I'm always looking to improve. This is me mostly learning the differences Karin has since the 3rd beta and I start fooling with R. Mika in the last match in the vid. Any thoughts or suggestions are always welcome, and will be appropriately thanked!

I'm not watchin 30 mins. From that first game though, I don't think I need to. You seem to have a good grasp over the basics. After that it's just work work work ya know?

Thanks for this input! I'm hoping to get a bit better as time goes on. The only downside is that I don't have as much time as most to dedicate to lab time(mostly Saturdays right now), but I'll keep putting the work in as best I can!
    My GF and I stream from time to time~
    Twitch.tv/ogachuubaka
    https://www.facebook.com/ogachuubaka/
  • KimCheeseKimCheese Joined: Posts: 10
    I just played a few matches in a row. I'd like to get some tips and advice from an outsider who can notice my tendencies.

first off I'm not very good at AA and I don't really get the "rhythm" of throws/tick throws and to tech them.
    so I am aware that I have failed at those things... also not very good at hit confirming. SFV is my first street fighter I am actually trying to learn and I only recently got into fighting games with MKX.

well without any further ado I just link them:

Me vs a Cammy

Me vs a Necalli (starts at 1:24)

Me vs a Bison (starts at 1:24)
    Noobie SFV Player trying to learn to main Chun Li Nash

In-Game ID: KimCheese
    PSN ID: Invader_Slim88
    edited March 2016
    From what I see you play rather solid for your points (since a lot people with that amount of point do random unsafe stuff a lot). The biggest problem I see is that you are too scared, I rarely see you on the offensive for a long time, a lot of time you back up and give space back or you just stop your agression for no reason. You also have holes in your defense, like you take quite a bit of jump-in or you press a button when you shouldn't maybe because you lack character knowledge or maybe because you make bad calls.

So basically the two combined means that someone who gets in your face and keeps his offense will end up killing you because even if you retake the advantage you don't press it that hard.

So far what you seem to do is wait for a mistake you can see and punish it, maybe try one or two offensive actions, then back up and wait for the mistakes. You need to make the mistakes happen more.

I didn't watch 100% of each videos but I saw very little throws from you for example. This could improve your offense a lot, Chun has a good dash and a good forward throw. It is in theory unsafe to dash in someones face and throw him but it works very well even in tournaments.
    [SFV] Ken
    [USFIV] Ken
    [GG-XRD] Sol
    edited April 2016
    It's been a while but here are 3 matches I felt I could've won.

Please help me improve!

Vs Ryu 1
    [video]

Vs Ryu 2
    [video]

Vs R. Mika
    [video]

Thanks in advance!

• KimCheeseKimCheese Joined: Posts: 10
    From what I see you play rather solid for your points (since a lot people with that amount of point do random unsafe stuff a lot). The biggest problem I see is that you are too scared, I rarely see you on the offensive for a long time, a lot of time you back up and give space back or you just stop your agression for no reason. You also have holes in your defense, like you take quite a bit of jump-in or you press a button when you shouldn't maybe because you lack character knowledge or maybe because you make bad calls.

So basically the two combined means that someone who gets in your face and keeps his offense will end up killing you because even if you retake the advantage you don't press it that hard.

So far what you seem to do is wait for a mistake you can see and punish it, maybe try one or two offensive actions, then back up and wait for the mistakes. You need to make the mistakes happen more.

I didn't watch 100% of each videos but I saw very little throws from you for example. This could improve your offense a lot, Chun has a good dash and a good forward throw. It is in theory unsafe to dash in someones face and throw him but it works very well even in tournaments.

A question I have, regarding your comment on how i lose to anyone who gets in my face and keeps his offense. I realise how true this is, because i lose to many ppl who just jump in and keep pressure on me. I can't react to up close jumps. not sure where to block/whether to forward dash or back dash, which AA to use. does this just come with xp?

Also how do i maintain my pressure? haha am i asking for too specific tips? just really frustrated cause I feel like i have plateued. will keep at it though. thanks for the tips

Noobie SFV Player trying to learn to main Chun Li Nash

In-Game ID: KimCheese
    PSN ID: Invader_Slim88
  • eckoflyteeckoflyte Joined: Posts: 11
    edited April 2016
    Bit of background first. I played sf2 (megadrive) and sf alpha (ps1) as a kid but only for fun against the cpu and never more than that. Didn't know how to combo and all I ever knew how to do was use HK, HP and throw fireballs. I never really took Street Fighter seriously until SF4 first arrived and even that only lasted 1 year. I played religiously against my one rival and friend (who was very good but only used Balrog) and no one else. Even then he beat me 90% of the time. I never played online as my connection was terrible and the lag just was no fun at all. I mained Ryu at the time, but during this time I learned execution and could complete pretty much all of the trials in sf4 (have 100% completed sf5 trials also). What I never learned was footsies and my anti-air game was never great on reaction.

Fast forward 6 or 7 years later and now I have arrived at sf5 which I am dying to improve at and climb the ranks. I main Nash.

Getting a feel for his pokes and anti-air game. Combo-wise I can pretty much execute anything in training but end up dropping them time to time in the heat of the battle. What I suffer at is the neutral game. Especially whiff punishing and pressing buttons when being pressured (getting caught in frame traps). My wake-up game also sucks eg. getting thrown or tick thrown a lot on wakeup. I also don't deal well with being rushed down or crossed up. Despite being aware of some of my weaknesses and being mindful of it, it still is difficult for me to fully formulate a gameplan and improve my reactions upon those situations.

Im stuck between 1500-2000LP and cant seem to truly fit into Silver league. Granted I still dont know all the matchups and optimal punishes (need more lab time), i still feel like I've hit a wall and am seeking advice (especially on my neutral game) on how to get passed it.

If you guys could watch these videos, dissect them and point out anything specific or general or even character specific, that would be truly appreciated.

• BolerathonBolerathon Joined: Posts: 3
    Hi guys.

I played a set with this Cammy and lost 2 - 1.
    I only saved the one I won (I was amazed I managed even that).
    Can someone have a look and advise how I could have opened this up more?
    The other two matches went roughly the same as this one but ended with me losing.
    I know I should have used v trigger more and I dropped my legs from cr m kick almost every time cause I was so cagey.
    Also I wasn't charging down back for kikoken since in the first matches I kept getting rushed down and couldn't get her off me without meter.

Any advise would be great, thanks

• ShottanuhmisShottanuhmis Joined: Posts: 337
    edited April 2016

Can I get some critique on how to play better and what I should do ?

I'm Chun
    Post edited by Shottanuhmis on
  • GreenwoodGreenwood Earth, the only true God Joined: Posts: 881
    @Shottanuhmis I don't know anything about Chun, but I can provide some insight against Cammy.
    - Her divekicks are pretty terrible. Bad hit/hurt box and at the height he was doing them at, you could punish them or even AA them (assuming Chun can beat it out).
    - He seemed to be throwing out random Spiral Arrow's a lot, which are very unsafe.
    - He mashed DP and CA way too much as well. You probably could've baited some of those.
    - When Cammy is jumping around like a flea trying to cross up, you could probably dash foward (or even walk forward with Chun's speed) to get out of that.
    SFV: CamCam Inj2: CawCaw
    edited April 2016
    Got absolutely bodied by this player online. Wiped the floor with me 20 matches in a row. So frustrated right now. Any advice would be great. Here is a 15 min video of our battle lounge session.

• Click5Click5 Joined: Posts: 53
    I'm going to double post, from the Sim video thread, since no one actually goes to that forum and I'd like some feedback...

You folks care to give a critique and some pointers? This is a handful of crap from today, that gives a good range of my skill (and lack thereof) right now.

First off, I know I'm leaving a lot of damage on the table from missed execution. Missing the height on IAT, and the MP Flame often, almost always on b+mk. I'm grinding away in the lab a lot, but now trying to make an conscious effort to slow everything down which has helped a bit.

Probably giving up too much space, but the usual rushdown I go up against is staggering

I'm sliding way too much, especially c.LK. That move kinda sucks actually, but I end up getting c.LK into throw really often at this level. Been training the drills a lot lately, but sometimes since I'm on a hitbox I leave my thumb on jump too long and leave a floating aerial to be punished.

The Bison I played maybe 10-15 times today (sweet match making) and he destroyed me every round. I can just sit there and block, but never see the opening where I can punish. Been trying to b+MP more to AA in that match, but my timing is crap. That match is a real headscratcher, I'm not even salty.

edited April 2016
    For the Nash player above,

I think the guy against you is better than his points suggest.

Advice I could give from what I've seen, I am not a pro but it's always easier to see mistakes from others :

- Do you play him a lot? Because he seems to read you like a book. But it might be that your defense is not yet on the level needed to fight his attacks. I didn't watch everything but he opens you up very easy, I feel like you press buttons a lot on wake up (again I might have had bad luck with the parts I've seen).

The reason you loose this badly is basically a combination of the above + you letting him getting in very easy (probably weaker footsies than him). You play Nash, you really don't want someone in your face hitting you since you have no reversals and you have many good normals + nash fireball. You need to zone more and be more mobile. I am not a Nash expert but watch Infiltration. Nash also has a very easy AA which is one button press (cr.mp I believe) and I am pretty confident even tho I didn't try it myself that it could stuff the regular dive kick.

Finally you're also less dangerous than him when you get the chance. Granted Cammy is really good at it, you seem to mistime meaty a bit and you let go of your pressure fast.

So in a nutshell what happens is you get less chances than him and he does more with his chances.

For the Dhalsim player :

I don't know much about dhalsim but it feels like you need to be way more mobile, using more teleports and v-skill. I didnt see the vskill at all I think (watched the bison games) and you use the teleport only to attack him more or less. If you watch the best dhalsim you see them teleporting around like crazy, even sometimes just in place, it's just to mess up with the brain of the other guy. Dhalsim is extremely weak when he walks around.
    [SFV] Ken
    [USFIV] Ken
    [GG-XRD] Sol
  • Click5Click5 Joined: Posts: 53
    For the Dhalsim player :

I don't know much about dhalsim but it feels like you need to be way more mobile, using more teleports and v-skill. I didnt see the vskill at all I think (watched the bison games) and you use the teleport only to attack him more or less. If you watch the best dhalsim you see them teleporting around like crazy, even sometimes just in place, it's just to mess up with the brain of the other guy. Dhalsim is extremely weak when he walks around.

Thanks for the response! I think you're right about the teleporting, and I've been trying to mix it up a little bit more. I don't really see a lot of the high level guys use Vskill though. Might try it more when at max range though. You can see below trying to be cute with my movement led me losing round two.

This guy is basically a weight class above me, on a nine fight win streak, and no offense to the player, I don't feel they did anything special or really out play me much.

Ryu landed a few of his god sweeps, added a couple of nice throws, and caught me pressing buttons on his meaty ax kick (which I think he was timing wrong since I threw him out of it once)

at 1:50 I missed my meaty LP Gale and threw out the j.LP. That sucked and may have cost me the match. Sim is so freaking frustrating. I have to have flawless execution or eat one combo and die.
    edited April 2016
    Hum, ok about the vskill, as I said I am no dhalsim expert. I thought I saw it a bit by pros.

Also I just saw, you're going to need to start to cover your teleport when you attack people and not do it raw like you do, else when you rise up the ranks you're going to get jabbed out of it, or worse.

But my knowledge of dhalsim is pretty low so I can't help you much more, I feel like you have the basic gameplan down and you need to refine stuff. If you don't already you should watch TS-Sabin and the dhalsims in the top 20, there is plenty of them and I feel like they don't all play the same so you'll have a lot of possible things to see and put into your game.

I think you're definitly better than that Ryu, sadly for you, yes it is way easier to win with Ryu at these ranks.
    [SFV] Ken
    [USFIV] Ken
    [GG-XRD] Sol
    For the Nash player above,

I think the guy against you is better than his points suggest.

Advice I could give from what I've seen, I am not a pro but it's always easier to see mistakes from others :

- Do you play him a lot? Because he seems to read you like a book. But it might be that your defense is not yet on the level needed to fight his attacks. I didn't watch everything but he opens you up very easy, I feel like you press buttons a lot on wake up (again I might have had bad luck with the parts I've seen).

The reason you loose this badly is basically a combination of the above + you letting him getting in very easy (probably weaker footsies than him). You play Nash, you really don't want someone in your face hitting you since you have no reversals and you have many good normals + nash fireball. You need to zone more and be more mobile. I am not a Nash expert but watch Infiltration. Nash also has a very easy AA which is one button press (cr.mp I believe) and I am pretty confident even tho I didn't try it myself that it could stuff the regular dive kick.

Finally you're also less dangerous than him when you get the chance. Granted Cammy is really good at it, you seem to mistime meaty a bit and you let go of your pressure fast.

So in a nutshell what happens is you get less chances than him and he does more with his chances.

For the Dhalsim player :

That was the first time I played him online. But your advice hit it right home for me. Obviously I know I'm doing something wrong but that analysis makes a ton of sense. I admit I do push a lot of button on wakeup and even during frametraps/block strings which is something that needs to be addressed. Appreciate it. All of them are excellent pointers for me to keep in mind to improve my gameplay.
    It's been a while but here are 3 matches I felt I could've won.

Please help me improve!

Vs Ryu 1
    [video]

Vs Ryu 2
    [video]

Vs R. Mika
    [video]

Thanks in advance!

Please help, thanks!
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 4,959
    @Oresama85

At 0:34 that guy did a dragon punch into thin air, but instead of punishing it properly with a walk up HK crush counter, you went for a tatsumaki as a punish which you didn't want to use as a punish. You decided to throw that out before the uppercut whiffed.
    Why? That cannot have been a read since this was at the start of the round and the guy didn't make any move that would've indicated that he want to throw a fireball in your face.
    Don't commit to shit like that unless you're certain that they gonna do a fireball. The best you get out of a tatsumaki is a knockdown into a meaty, the best he get out of blocking that shit is a 300 damage combo without meter.

At 0:36 you see that he back rolls from the tatsu and you go for an overhead, even though you're at a heavy frame disadvantage in that situation and the overhead will only connect if the dude doesn't do anything.
    Even if that was an accident and you wanted st. MP, it would have whiffed and you got hit by his cr.MK probably even counterhit.

Right after that you throw out a sweep from almost point blank range, that could've gotten punished if he had just blocked instead of going for st. HK. In that situation and range cr. MP would've been a better and much safer button.

At: 0:40 you throw out a cr. MP into uppercut, again not hit confirmed but rather randomly mashed, which could've led into you eating mad damage. When you're in a situation like this where you don't know if stuff gets blocked, buffer your cr. MP into hadoken which is safe from some distances and cannot be punished as hard.

I'll stop here since it would take me hours to analyze every situation in your 3 games, but all in all after watching over them I can see that you have no real concept of risk vs reward, buffering normals, spacing and reading your opponent.
    I think what you should do first is try to get comfortable with your character by practicing his motions.
    Practice all of his normals and their ranges, practice anti airing in different situations so you know when to use st. LP, cr. HP, st. HK, dash under, walk under and uppercuts.
    Get a feeling for your dash range, practice buffering into hadoken from cr. MP, practice a big fucking crush counter combo (or at least do his target combo as a punish), practice hit confirming from st.MP>st./cr.MP xx Hadoken xx CA and from cr.LK>cr.LP xx HP SRK.

When you're comfortable with your character and don't have to think about combos and specials anymore, you can start playing the actual game and go over to reading your opponent and how to frame trap, bait and poke them.

So far it just looks like you need a lot more time in training room and a lot more experience applying what you learned in training mode.

CFN: NaughtySenpai
    @ArtVandelay I appreciate the advice! I'm new to the game so anything is helpful!

I do practice training mode and I can consistently toss a ton of fireballs, tatsu's, DP's, even crush counter punishes....but like you said I can never get them to come out in real matches :(.

Someone suggested I enter online matches and just focus on landing one thing at a time consistently win or lose... Do you suggest I try that too?

I'll try training more, and applying some of the things you said and upload again! Thank you! :#
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 4,959
    Someone suggested I enter online matches and just focus on landing one thing at a time consistently win or lose... Do you suggest I try that too?

Definitely!
    Only way I learned how to use my combos in SFV.

You're gonna lose matches this way though, because you consciously look for opportunities to use them and thus miss other opportunities to deal or avoid damage and also you drop them often at first.
    You should mostly go with the mentality that you play to learn instead of playing to win when you're new.

When you try to win you always default to stuff that you're comfortable with and new combos and techniques get dropped immediately. When you play to learn though, you can discipline yourself since your goal is not to win but to land that fucking move.

This is also important when you want to get rid of things that you learned the wrong way. Reprogramming muscle memory is tedious and painful but it makes you a better player in the long run.
    There's no instant gratification in fighting games, get used to having to work for the stuff that you'll be able to do.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Can I get some critique on how to play better and what I should do ?

I'm Chun

I'm from the Chun subforum, I think you saw me post there already :3 :shy:

I think if it's against Cammy the previous poster already address most things already.

I would also say work on your combos a bit so the drops won't bite you in the ass in the future. Also punish Cammy hard for things that she whiffs like a missed dp.

Also don't end block strings in ground Lightning Leg, it's really unsafe.
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode