Beginner match analysis / gameplay critique thread

167891012»

Comments

• ValoonValoon Joined: Posts: 1,965
    edited April 2016
    Click5 wrote: »

Thanks for the response! I think you're right about the teleporting, and I've been trying to mix it up a little bit more. I don't really see a lot of the high level guys use Vskill though. Might try it more when at max range though. You can see below trying to be cute with my movement led me losing round two.

Getting back to you. I watched Fchamp at the tournament this week-end and he did a lot of vskill, like a lot of it. Drills also seem really good, although they are hard to space well.
    [SFV] Ken
    [USFIV] Ken
    [GG-XRD] Sol
  • KGershkoffKGershkoff On the journey of a thousand miles........ Joined: Posts: 303
    edited April 2016
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=wBbBOTRwMZw
    Some critique would be nice.....
  • UncleOUncleO Joined: Posts: 11
    edited April 2016

A set from a week ago. Critiques are welcome.
    I am playing Birdie
  • VarmintBabyVarmintBaby Joined: Posts: 505
    UncleO wrote: »

A set from a week ago. Critiques are welcome.
    I am playing Birdie

So what I would say bro is that you're not a bad Birdie. You know his moves and some situations to use them in. I would say from that first match.. don't go into V-Trigger with a guy right in front of you with advantage. Use Birdie's V Trigger to setup a combo. For example you can do EX Bull Horn, into V Trigger, into EX Headbutt. This is like an 8 hit combo I think and it works great and does a lot of damage. Try to learn some of Birdie's bread and butter combos. Jumping MP into standing MP into MP Headbutt is a good one. Also another one is jump HK into Crouching HP into EX or Air Chain. Last thing I'd say is use his crouching LP more. It's a long poke and don't feel bad about abusing it. You can mix that up with a lk if you start feeling too cheesy. Hopefully someone else will provide more advice... thats all I got for you for now. Keep playing and getting better. Use training mode. Later dude.
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
  • jasonCjasonC Fish Bar Zombie Joined: Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @UncleO work on your defense. You got hit with necalli's DP too much when you tried to jump back to avoid his command throw. If you are reading command throw, you should neutral jump for a full combo, otherwise bait the DP. You also let him jump at you too easily. C.mp works well as anti air.
  • diirrtydubcakeZdiirrtydubcakeZ Joined: Posts: 7
    https://youtu.be/s-FOMhj-GnE

Although I'm starting to win a few matches (this was for bronze league promotion) I feel like I'm always getting down to clutch situations like above. How can I improve my defensive game?
  • GreenwoodGreenwood Earth, the only true God Joined: Posts: 886
    @diirrtydubcakeZ You can improve your defensive game by improving your offensive game. You could've dealt so much more damage and applied much better pressure. The match could've been over in 30 seconds, but you let him off the hook many times.

I do not play Ken, but here's a list of things you did that must be corrected. If I am harsh, I do not mean to be, I'm just explaining the severity of how bad some of the things were.

I'll go in order, but first and foremost, you jumped like a maniac with no rhyme or reason for most of the match. Try to calm down with that.

- He threw a fireball from past mid-screen and you tried to sweep it
    - j MK > Tatsu is a terrible combo
    - You knocked him with ^ tatsu and then threw a fireball over his dead body. Never do that. That will lose 100% of the time because Ken's fireball recovery is poor.
    - You mashed an SRK and hit him because he can't combo (which is fine once in a while), but then followed up the knockdown with a neutral jump and you pressed MK on the way up! Even if he was just standing there, you still wouldn't have hit him because the active frames of the MK had passed way before you were close to hitting him. But of course he can't anti-air, so you get lucky with another knockdown.
    - Again, I don't play Ken, but I'm pretty sure you don't want to press s. HK on his wake up. There are better options, check the Ken thread. You pressed it too early anyway (or it doesn't hit crouchers) and it let to some damage for him.
    - Don't waste V-Reversal on a blocked MK Tatsu. That is be an EASY, high damage punish for the entire cast. Just block it and do Ken's Target Combo > SRK (or whatever Ken's do).
    - Another blocked MK Tatsu that wasn't punished. If you hadn't wasted the bar of V Skill earlier and punished these 2 tatsu's properly, the match would probably be over with you retaining 1/3 of your health bar.
    - You block a MP SRK, but you were a little far away and I've seen pros miss punish opportunities in similar situations, so it's not that bad, but then.....
    - You block a HP SRK and get nothing from it. You jump back and press MP. That's by FAR the worst thing you did. AFTER YOU READ THIS POST AND PLAY SF AGAIN, DO THIS. Go straight to training mode, record Ken (or anyone else with a DP) doing his HP or EX SRK and block it and apply the proper Crush Counter combo. You HAVE to practice this and get your hands and eyes to react to this for when it happens in a match. Because it will happen again and you need to take off 1/3 of his life bar when it does.
    - Again, you landed a jump in and only did a tatsu. That's not a good combo. Get jump in > tatsu out of your gameplan.
    - You knocked him down and as he was getting up, you jumped away. This accomplishes nothing and you let him off the hook.
    - The rest of the match was a mess of random jumping around and random attacks by both of you.

In that particular video, there wasn't anything "bad" about your defense. It was your mistimed/misplaced offensive that made you get hit most of the time. Also, a lack of punishing prolonged the match which caused it to be closer than it should've been.
    Inj2: Wonder Woman
    SFV: Cammy
    edited July 2016
    Dude, I fully appreciate the respoise. I've only been playing for a week (no previous Street fighter experience) and on a stick for 3 days, so yeah I'm a little jumpy and scrappy. That's exactly why I wanted your advice. I see so many players so clean and methodical punishing everything everytime and it's really exciting to watch. But you have given me lots of advice that I can work with and improve my game overall. Thanks!

I played again today and the muscle memory is starting to set in and I've almost mastered ken's trials..just got the last one to do. I'm sure in a few more weeks with your advice I'll be much more clinical
    [quote="diirrtydubcakeZ;10930411"I've only been playing for a week (no previous Street fighter experience) and on a stick for 3 days, so yeah I'm a little jumpy and scrappy. [/quote]
    Oh, you'll be fine. A week is literally nothing. You'll learn A LOT just by reading things in the Newbie Dojo and the Ken thread. One general piece of advice that I think is very useful is - play a match without jumping. Just stay on the ground and poke and try to anti-air everything (with SRK's or whatever Ken's AA normal is). Even if you lose the match, it'll help your ground game.
    Thanks Greenwood. I'm playing daIly with a friend who is rather good and he is giving me pointers as well. I'll get there. I'll beat Momochi one day ;)
  • JustinAkatsukiJustinAkatsuki Joined: Posts: 214
    Hey can anyone just look me up on CFN and then look at some matches i had in Ranked and Battle lounge to see where i can improve as a player? My CFN is the same as my username here. Personally i think its my defense that holds me back
  • Heavyarms336Heavyarms336 Joined: Posts: 1
    So I'm kinda a noob at SFV and a little bit of a noob at SF altogether. I played a little 3rd strike and a little SF4 vanilla. I'm trying to learn Balrog and looking for some critiquing. I'm playing against a LVL 9 CPU Cammy because my PSN subscription ran out and its all I've got right now. Any and all help is welcome!

• LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,451
    So I'm kinda a noob at SFV and a little bit of a noob at SF altogether. I played a little 3rd strike and a little SF4 vanilla. I'm trying to learn Balrog and looking for some critiquing. I'm playing against a LVL 9 CPU Cammy because my PSN subscription ran out and its all I've got right now. Any and all help is welcome!

I'm terribly sorry to say this but aside from general hitconfirming, punishes and the occasional anti air, the CPU teaches you very little. Playing against the CPU will teach you the moveset of a character but it won't teach you the flow of the game. Mindgames is 90% of playing againt the opponent, if the CPU doesn't do that or doesn't adjust then you won't see real improvement aside fromt he "technical" stuff. With technical stuff i mean doing your hitconfirms, punishes, meaties and occasional anti airs. It is literally helping you to play in a very flowchart way.

If you don't constantly have to think about what the opponent does then you will also never improve.

If you genuinely want to improve, get PS+ or play offline with some buddies or if you have a scene visit that.

Another thing is that giving any indepth feedback, and this goes for any feedback on new players is always going to come down to the same things:
    • Trouble punishing? Go in training and find theproper punish
    • Trouble with hitconfirming? Go practice hitconfirming
    • Trouble anti airing? Focus on just anti airing
    • People keep walking and dashing into your space? Protect that space with throwing out buttons
    • Trouble blocking crossups? Just focus on blocking crossups
    • Trouble throw teching? Focus just on throw teching

A lot of the stuff i mentioned above requires you to have an opponent just like how with Tennis you can only do so much on your own. Any problem you have now is very easily addressed, the answer is obvious and straightforward when you are still new. Difficulty lies in prioritizing, what is more beneficial for a beginner? Focusing on practicing combos is a waste if you don't know how to open people up and if you cna't stop people from jumping or dashing into your space.

In the beginning the only things you should be doing is simply throwing out your buttons in neutral, anti airing, focusing on good defense(throw teching, blocking crossups, using v-reversals at the proper time, knowing when to crouch and when to stand block, when to press buttons and when to not press buttons, etc) This all can't be really learned from the CPU either unfortunately.

The most important aspect for a beginner is focusing on defense, playing against the CPU you hardly learn this unfortunately
    GGXrdR2: Baiken
    T7:  Jin, Nina
    SFV: Juri
    USFIV: Yun Cody Guy

• Brie20Brie20 Joined: Posts: 16
    I'm still new to fighting games in general, and a while ago I actually had my first set of matches after not playing for a few months.

I don't know if this is pathetic of me or if this is even the right mindset I should have, but my main goal in these matches was to get used to the flow of a match, because I still get nervous facing other people. Aside from that goal, I kept 2 things in mind.

1. Focus on blocking (I think I was blocking for way too long. Gotta learn to dish out some throw-techs and pokes)
    2. Don't mash buttons (actually very happy that I didn't mash at all in that set )

I don't feel bad about losing those matches at all. I thought that the sooner I get use to being in a match against other people, the sooner I can focus on small goals during a match like punishing whiffed attacks every chance you get, and gradually build on the little things.

@brie20 It's not pathetic and you have the right approach. It's good that you don't mind losing because it's natural to lose A LOT when you're new. Post a video whenever you feel more comfortable.
  • modeymodey Joined: Posts: 1
    hi everyone please offer your critique i am akuma
  • jasonCjasonC Fish Bar Zombie Joined: Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Just two quick notes:

If they jump at you outside the range at which you can anti-air them with dragon punch, you can still anti-air them with standing hard punch.
    You can punish a hurricane kick with crouching hard punch as it goes over your head.
  • VCFan1001VCFan1001 Joined: Posts: 285
    Hey whats up, I just got into SF5 and would like some feedback on my claw game play I'm currently in bronze/silver

• OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,050
    What's the name of the track? That's pretty sick.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet [T7] Claudio
    edited December 2016
    @OceanMachine

its from the street fighter ex series.
    doctrine dark theme
    Oh god I forgot there was such good music in that game.
    btw I don't see too many real flaws in your gameplay. I just think you were playing Claw at the wrong range and never being really a threat with your medium pokes. There's no point in going claw off if you play then the whole match from the distance and eat fireballs all day.
    Also you got most of your mileage off unpunished jump-ins and you never kept the pressure going after you landed a combo. You just retreat each time you score some damage. You won because that Ryu had no clue about how to play any ground game either.
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    Appreciate it, yeah I have a very bad habit of jumping in randomly in this game I was lucky he wasn't using his dp to punish
    I also have that bad habit of backing off after I land a combo because I keep thinking they are mashing dp's but from now on ill only play like that unless I see him use reversal a few times
    Eating one DP is not a big deal. It's better to force them to use their reversal anyway so that you can punish them for great damage.
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
  • LegaleagleLegaleagle Joined: Posts: 9

Posted in the old man thread and didn't get any response so I figured I'd try here. Could really use some advice. Struggling even with a fundamental understanding of the mechanics of the game (i..e the technical mechanics of the game like frame data etc.).

Trying to learn Balrog and Zangief. My CFN is legaleagle7187. I'd really appreciate reviews/tips (especially my matches vs. shotos) Thanks!
  • shotoreplicantshotoreplicant NO. 3 Joined: Posts: 48
    Eating one DP is not a big deal. It's better to force them to use their reversal anyway so that you can punish them for great damage.

yes
    Sim Wit Sin.
  • wasilewskiwasilewski Joined: Posts: 7
    I though I was OK against CPU, but I just realise how much I suck.

What can I do when I'm jumping in and someone does a crouching attack?

167891012»