Beginner match analysis / gameplay critique thread

Comments

• bloodabeastbloodabeast Da Best Protoss Joined: Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    sup guys! i'd like to receive some critique on some gameplay of mine so that, you know, learn what to do and what not to do for the most part. i want to get better with the shotos pretty much. the link i provided is about 2 hours long but i posted the times that i'm playing along with my character usage (some foul language). thanks in advance!

http://www.twitch.tv/dateffinmagnus/b/338945233

first set of matches (Ryu) 12:00, 14:35, 17:17, 19:00, 20:55, 23:04, 24:54

second set of matches (Ken) 28:00, 30:28, 32:01, 34:37, 38:00, 39:32, 41:53, 43:15, 45:58, 48:28

there's more of me using cody, blanka and some other random characters but i'm sure none of you have that kind of time on your hands. again i'll be thankful for some critique on the clips provided

EDIT: I had some marvel matches on the stream in some other clips but i'm ass at that game lol
    @fchampryan
    I have so much game knowledge but nothing counters morrigan... Wtf do we all do?
    UMVC3: Magneto into touch of death.
  • xiceman191xiceman191 Joined: Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    snip.
    Thanks for the advice i definitely need to work alot on my gameplay. And i feel you on the team order ive been actually working on a new team of mags/strange/dormammu which is more fun to play. When i feel a little more confident in my play ill upload it to get some critique
    Psn: Datdudeiceman191
    Umvc3: Main team: Nova/Spencer/Mags, Secondary: Dormammu/Strange/Magneto
    twitch.tv/datdudeiceman191
  • KarsticlesKarsticles Greetings. Joined: Posts: 2,649
    Thanks for the advice i definitely need to work alot on my gameplay. And i feel you on the team order ive been actually working on a new team of mags/strange/dormammu which is more fun to play. When i feel a little more confident in my play ill upload it to get some critique
    Do you mean Magneto/Strange/Dormammu, or Dormammu/Strange/Magneto, like your sig says?

This was actually going to be a release team of mine, but I fell in love with Dormammu/Morrigan.

The problem with the first setup is Dr. Strange has no assist support (Dormammu's assists suck unfortunately). If you make the order Magneto/Dormammu/Strange, then you have Dr. Strange as your anchor, which bites. If you have Dormammu/Strange/Magneto as your team order, Dormammu will get eaten alive by Wolverine teams.
    "Karst" for short.
    My Ultimate Dormammu Guide: http://tinyurl.com/6mr4lhv
    My UMvC3 Team Building Guide: http://tinyurl.com/8x865ra
    Support BoF2 Nina for UMvC3 DLC! - my fan moveset: http://tinyurl.com/3h2r2ck
  • kryycrieskryycries Drifting Joker Joined: Posts: 37
    hello everyone trying to level up my game with cody. went to play at a tournament and got wrecked pretty bad. really want to get better. any critiques or help would be great

• TurboNewbieTurboNewbie Joined: Posts: 27
    On the match1 I think that you let Juri take too much free time on the air. You let her start the combos with her kicks and you are not putting pressure on her via AA. I think that Juri is a zoner and you have great tools as Cody to keep her pinned down. Have you watched Momochi play? He punishes those random punches and essentially keep his opponents grounded.

You also want to keep attacking low and linking the crouching attacks into specials/supers/ultra Well. I am a newbie so that is about what I saw.

Hope it helps.
    :):qcf::)
    this thread is ass.

EDIT:
    I hate my self.
    @fchampryan
    I have so much game knowledge but nothing counters morrigan... Wtf do we all do?
  • BlackShinobiBlackShinobi Making moves Joined: Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    sup guys! i'd like to receive some critique on some gameplay of mine so that, you know, learn what to do and what not to do for the most part. i want to get better with the shotos pretty much. the link i provided is about 2 hours long but i posted the times that i'm playing along with my character usage (some foul language). thanks in advance!

http://www.twitch.tv/dateffinmagnus/b/338945233

first set of matches (Ryu) 12:00, 14:35, 17:17, 19:00, 20:55, 23:04, 24:54

second set of matches (Ken) 28:00, 30:28, 32:01, 34:37, 38:00, 39:32, 41:53, 43:15, 45:58, 48:28

there's more of me using cody, blanka and some other random characters but i'm sure none of you have that kind of time on your hands. again i'll be thankful for some critique on the clips provided

EDIT: I had some marvel matches on the stream in some other clips but i'm ass at that game lol
    this thread is ass.

Twitch videos require more work to go through than youtube videos so they are less likely to get replies,
    I watched your Ryu matches and your jump ins could use some work in spacing, and attack choice, but all of that is secondary to the main and infuriating problem. Stop hitting buttons for no reason. Beginners don't use normals like that so I know you not a complete beginner. It really looks like you've seen other players whiffing normals so you're just doing it, but watching the matches theres times when you are just hitting buttons just to hit buttons. Just block sometimes, you are repeatedly getting hit with almost full screen dash punches for hitting buttons. Theres times to throw those normals out but you have to learn the spacing, start up range and recovery on those movesto use them properly. The best advice I can give you from those matches is to watch your own matches again and ask yourself why you are doing those normals when you are.
    https://www.facebook.com/ShinobeFGC
    twitter.com/shinob_e
    New player gameplay video critique thread. CLICK THE LINK AND CHECK IT OUT.
    Help the community grow one beginner at time.
    i hit those buttons simply because i didn't want to get hit. every time i feel like i'm not pressing a button against balrog i get grabbed and then i just don't know what to do afterwards.. =/

plus i rarely ever watch ae streams and i don't have my own copy of the game. seems like my friends lie to me whenever they say "you're getting better" and they offer no real advice at all other than block

EDIT: uploaded the matches to youtube and still got nothing

EDIT:
    i watched that video about two-three times last night and figured out it's easy for ryu to stop balrogs straight/upper without doing anything too silly. then just jab dp or crouch fierce to stop jump ins and jabbing out of tick throws. i just gotta practice with him some more and be a little more patient until i can figure out a gameplan with ryu and ken against balrog
    @fchampryan
  • GeewhoaGeewhoa Joined: Posts: 1
    Why hello there everyone! I've been lurking on SRK for close to two years now and I've finally decided to get serious about SF4. I've been putting in lots of work and I'm still pretty bad. But progress is progress!

I have a ton of trouble with the Ryu - Adon match up.

There's quite a bit of executional errors, lack of anti-airs, and more.. But hey! I landed my first FADC in a live match! I think that's one step forward. Anyway! I'd be grateful for any advice in improving my Ryu.

Thanks a ton!
    "One of life's greatest blessings is the freedom to pursue one's goals."
    My Youtube Channel
  • TurboNewbieTurboNewbie Joined: Posts: 27
    Nice men. I actually can fell the happiness from your voice :)
    :):qcf::)
  • MethodManMethodMan Joined: Posts: 7
    Hi guys, I've taken umvc3 up, starting with practically a whole new team, I've video'd some of my first online matches for you to critique/give me some advice on if possible?

Thanks!
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably best posted in the UMVC3, who are better equipped to critique you.
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Salty about Ultra Joined: Posts: 4,581 mod
    I'm going to throw this is the video critique thread. A couple general things though:

- I doesn't seem like you know a full bnb for any of those characters.
    - You're backing yourself into the corner constantly.
    - You're making really bad use of your meter. Most of the supers you are throwing out are random; you should be using meter when you have already hit.
    - All of those raw tags are really dangerous/reckless. If the person you were playing against was good, that would be a dead character every time. You're much better off using 2 meters to DHC your next character in safely.
    - Learn how to mix up an incoming character. You're letting them come in for free.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
    All of the NEC prep work and actual work is done so i'm back; actually this thread could use some more marvel or at least diversity from SF4.
    twitter.com/shinob_e
  • orcitectorcitect Joined: Posts: 132

Any advice would be lovely.. I haven't played in a few months so I'm kinda rusty but, yeah.. critique away please!
    [ PSN - Goukitech ]
    [ AE - Akuma ] [ BB - Ragna ] [ SFxT - Akuma & Kazuya ]
    Not to many eligible answers so It looks like Trouble Brewing wins the Fightstick. I severely understimated how much time I was going to need to put into NEC before putting this up.
    twitter.com/shinob_e
  • ThisGuy198ThisGuy198 Mid tier lurker. Joined: Posts: 218 ✭✭
    Not to many eligible answers so It looks like Trouble Brewing wins the Fightstick. I severely understimated how much time I was going to need to put into NEC before putting this up.

I'm sorry thing didn't go as you planned, maybe if more people has a chance to win the prize more would participate.
    *Real conversation between Diago and Mago*
    Spoiler:
    I'm sorry thing didn't go as you planned, maybe if more people has a chance to win the prize more would participate.
    I'll still do another one I just need to consider more factors when picking dates. I may change the prize on the next one to include more people, the big issue with shipping is the size of a fightstick. It was over $20 to ship the first stick to Genistar and he lived within driving distance of me.
    twitter.com/shinob_e
    Thank you very much for the offer, but I already have plenty of arcade sticks. I'd rather it go to someone in the community if possible.

Plus I live in China and stuff. That shipping can't be cheap.
    Perhaps try doing another giveaway after Christmas madness dies down a bit? I'm surprised this one didn't get more interest.
  • User_User_ Later nerd Joined: Posts: 32
    I need help against getting zoned. Or maybe i'm just bad (i'm the Zangief)

Seth is actually not bad still
    I need help against getting zoned. Or maybe i'm just bad (i'm the Zangief)
    I never ask this in this thread because its all beginner videos, but are you trolling? I had to watch the video again just to check but you literally don't block once in the entire match. There is no way to tell how good the Gouken player is because you aren't blocking anything. Also you are dashing into fireballs that are already out. There are levels of advice that could help your game, but you have to at least start blocking full screen fireballs for any of those things to work. My brain is having too much trouble trying to construct someone who could add music to and upload a video, but not block once in an entire match.

Just in case this is serious though
    1. Walk forward and then block. I have no idea why you think blocking is a bad thing, but it is not.
    2. Stop jumping so much
    3. Stop moving forward all the time. Yes, Gief wants to get next to his opponent but that doesn't mean that you just hold forward until you either get in or die.
    4. BLOCK.
    twitter.com/shinob_e
  • density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 746
    Another issue, you're not using your tools to get to him. If your only tools were to dash and walk forward it'd be a 9-1 matchup for any zoner that goes up against him. Use a combination of Focus Dashes, SLOW inching forward, and Lariats to avoid chip damage while moving you forward ever so slightly. No, it won't be something that you just learn after a game or two, getting in on people is basically his entire high level game.
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
    It was that bad ;_; no, I'm not trolling. That was probably my worst game ever, so looking back, Idk why I posted that. Will you guys give me a second chance if I upload some of my better games? I really appreciate any tips. When I get some time Ill try to find some of my games where I don't look like a 5-year old. I can upload wins too, right? Because I know even when I win I make a lot of dumb mistakes. I just want to get to a level where I don't look like a complete dumbass
  • density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 746
    Oh by all means, upload more games, that's what the thread is for.
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
    2 Hakan games I had today. I win both, but I want to know what I could have done better.

NOTE: Especially in the first game, I really, really messed up some of my inputs. I always mess up the oil input on the right side, which is why you see me derping sometimes. I also miss way too many grabs. But HEY, at least I blocked! Also, The Makoto was kinda bad, so I think it was more her mistakes that made me win.
    I'm using a 360 pad, so I don't have that much precision.

Also, any lag, especially in the second game, was just fraps recording the replay, and it wasn't actually taking place in the game.

• cheese and chipscheese and chips Metal Blade> everything Joined: Posts: 203
    Hi guys, I've taken umvc3 up, starting with practically a whole new team, I've video'd some of my first online matches for you to critique/give me some advice on if possible?

Thanks!
    sorry about the late reply but I would like to give out some suggestions.
    1. like what trouble brewing said, you are being too defensive with characters that are based on rundown tactics like Spencer and task.
    2. when you use task's charging stars, try doing sting master to make it safe.
    3.while being spencer, try adding assists while you zip line such as iron man's beam assist or task's H. shot.
    4. in terms of bnbs, try looking at the UMVC3 character threads. there is a combo thread for every character
    5. Save your XF for when, a) when someone blocks your bionic arm or b) when you only have one character left.
    Gamertag: Shadow man mm3 UMVC3: Frank/hawkeye/Doom

king cobra and zubaz for v 2013
    My last video didn't get a response, so bumping

Trying Cammy, obviously very new to her
    Several notices for this thread

1. If you don't get a reply PM me, I can usually offer some advice, but I have a habit of getting myself involved in too many things at once and losing track of one or two of them.
    2. I awarded the second stick to Karsticles
    3. Karsticles your stick should be in the sent out within a day or two, I got caught up in some post Apex work.
    4. I'm trying to figure out an easier to send prize so I can open this up to anyone.
    twitter.com/shinob_e
    My last video didn't get a response, so bumping

Trying Cammy, obviously very new to her
    Your cammy and hakan both have the same issues, there are certain simple things that you are doing that you shouldn't in both matches, but first can you tell me why you've only blocked 3 times in 4 matches?
    twitter.com/shinob_e
    Your cammy and hakan both have the same issues, there are certain simple things that you are doing that you shouldn't in both matches, but first can you tell me why you've only blocked 3 times in 4 matches?

I honestly don't know. At least against Vega, I found his attacks hard to read, and I don't know how to option select. Believe it or not, in my 100 or so online matches, these were my most aggressive, and I'm usually better at playing defensively, especually with Hakan. Also, I'm aware of the misstimed specials moves and ultras and that's something I've been trying to work on
    You're not mistiming them, you are misusing them. You are using unsafe move to hurl youself at you opponent (cannon drill and slide) instead of learning to walk and play the spacing game. You need to differentiate between what works and what is good. If you are hitting people with extremely predictable cannon drills and slides, its not because it is a good option, its because the person you are playing is that bad.
    If someone wanted to they could just stand at the range where you like to do those moves and just punish you every time you use them.

- You're going to be free to vega if you don't block.
    - Stop waking up with an attack every time you get off the ground
    - Stop doing raw mid range ultras, this looks like another one of those things that has hit people enough times for you to think it is a good choice, but it's not.

There are still more things for you to work on, but again its not worth getting into if you aren't going to block.
    twitter.com/shinob_e
  • 0sh0sh Sumgai Joined: Posts: 424
    You're not mistiming them, you are misusing them. You are using unsafe move to hurl youself at you opponent (cannon drill and slide) instead of learning to walk and play the spacing game.
    I think this is actually one of the hardest/worst things about learning with a game that has a large roster. No matter where you stand on the screen you're going to be in another character's killzone, So after enough matches it's easy to think that you're always under attack even when out of said zone for the character your opponent is actually using. It also means that because people inevitably only use a small subset of the cast, while you can learn a decent amount quickly about facing e.g. Ryu/Ken because they are ubiquitous, as soon as someone chooses e.g. Claw, you're going to get completely bodied because you have no idea what needs to be blocked high/low, what can be punished, and what their options are at different ranges.

This is stuff that can only be learned by grinding through those matches, a fact that is bad enough with a small roster of 8 characters or so, let alone nearly 40.

EDIT: This was a general comment, not aimed at User_ specifically.
    SFIV: Sakura (Juri?) | Skullgirls: Fortune/Bella | LB2: Yuki
    Thanks for all the advice guys

I'm gonna stop posting here for a while, until I get a better feel for the game. Once I get a few more hours under my belt, maybe i'll re-post to see if I improved.

I'm gonna stop posting here for a while, until I get a better feel for the game. Once I get a few more hours under my belt, maybe i'll re-post to see if I improved.
    If you block, you will have improved. Like I said, there are way more noticable issues in your videos, but they aren't a priority until you start blocking oncoming attacks instead of trying to avoid or beat them out every time.
    twitter.com/shinob_e
    Definitely need a new prize, the cost to ship to Karsticles was just below double the cost to ship to Genistar.
    International shipping on a Fightstick may cost more than the Fightstick. :looney:
    twitter.com/shinob_e
  • Nap1400Nap1400 Finally unlurking Joined: Posts: 21
    Guess I might as well. I'm the Greyscale Peacock/Tager Cerebella team.

I'm not exactly a beginner to fighting games, so I'm semi-comfortable with playing Skullgirls (emphasis on semi), but a little advice wouldn't hurt here and there. I've also discovered recently that I just can't defend against heavy pressure, so if anyone has any good tips for tackling that, I'd appreciate it too.

Thanks in advance.
    edited February 2013
    Guess who's back, back, etc.

So i have another game lol. My first Rog win, actually. I main Hakan, but I also play Rog/Dudley. I think I actually played pretty defensively well this game, and I ACTUALLY BLOCKED THIS TIEM!!!111one

so yeah, again, feedback would be cool, (I know about the ultras) I actually win this one.

Post edited by User_ on
    User_ wrote: »
    Guess who's back, back, etc.<br />
    <br />
    So i have another game lol. My first Rog win, actually. I main Hakan, but I also play Rog/Dudley. I think I actually played pretty defensively well this game, and I ACTUALLY BLOCKED THIS TIEM!!!111one<br />
    <br />
    so yeah, again, feedback would be cool, (I know about the ultras) I actually win this one.<br />
    <br />

Don't hold back with no buffer so much when you charge you are walking yourself into the corner. You are also telegraphing the fact that you want to do a dash punch. If you hold down/back your opponent has to respect both the down up charge and the back forward charge. The adon player is hitting you out of the dash punch because it is the only thing you are going for at that range. You aren't using any of Balrogs normals outside of point blank range.

Watch this and pay attention to the use of normals at 1/4 apart or further, When your balrog is that far away and he stops moving backwards, its either a dash punch or a turn punch. Also notice the lack of extended backward walking to charge.
    twitter.com/shinob_e
  • Avaritia AurousAvaritia Aurous Joined: Posts: 6
    I'd like to get some match analysis but I have two questions first.
    1) How do I record a match?
    2) Do you only give advice for Street Fighter?
  • 4neqs4neqs thick_thighs Joined: Posts: 9,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ If you have something called a capture card, you can do that. But something as simple as a camera or cellphone can do if you don't have that, if the quality is decent enough.

It's mostly SF4 in this thread, but if you look at some of the posts there's MvC3 advice here and there too. I think if a game isn't too obscure, there will be someone to help.
    "But that's SRK for you. SFIV could have a feature where Chun-Li steps out of the TV and gives the players blowjobs, and some would still complain because she wasn't Sakura." --Azrael(?)
    I'd like to get some match analysis but I have two questions first.
    1) How do I record a match?
    2) Do you only give advice for Street Fighter?
    I figured out after NEC that I need more help in here, especially when I'm getting things ready for a major. Winter Brawl is next weekend so after I after all of the pre and post tournament work is done I should have more time to get help for requests in this thread.

One of my biggest problem with fighting games is people who give advice about things they don't know so I stay away from giving MVC3 and skullgirls advice unless it is somethig basic. So to broaden this thread I need to get more players of other games in here. 
    twitter.com/shinob_e
    Ok here are some vids of me playing Street Fighter IV PC. The matches were pretty laggy so there are a few parts where I intend to use a move and it comes out wrong, but I usually don't have that kind of problem for basic moves (I screwed up on entering a focus attack because of the lag)

http://www.twitch.tv/avaritiaaurous/videos
    ^You got a Youtube mirror for that? I can't seem to access your Twitch TV archives.
    "But that's SRK for you. SFIV could have a feature where Chun-Li steps out of the TV and gives the players blowjobs, and some would still complain because she wasn't Sakura." --Azrael(?)
    4neqs said:
    ^You got a Youtube mirror for that? I can't seem to access your Twitch TV archives.
    Yeah, sorry.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AvaritiaAurous/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    -Vanilla PC? Ok I guess, I do it from time to time when I have no access to AE when I'm out of town and when I'm near the older arcades. I think AE PC is cheap these days though, you should get that + the v2012 patch. There are quite a few things you can do in AE that aren't possible in vanilla and vice versa. But most importantly, more people are playing the latest version. If it's just you and some friends, no problem, but if you plan on getting better and more importantly if you want to become competitive, hop on the latest version (AE v2012) ASAP.

I hope this will not come off as too harsh, but these are the things I noticed.

-That aside... Good Lord those matches are underwater. If it gets that laggy, I suppose using the record/replay feature is more convenient for viewers than playing it in real time. Anway,

-Don't randomly shoryuken. Especially after you get knocked down/are getting up. It may work the first couple of times, but over time it leaves you wide open, and better players will purposely bait you into doing it (so they can punish your recovery).

-I would sweep and tatsu (spinny kick) less, especially out of the blue. When missed or blocked, they can be easily punished. You may want to work on your movement too. Jumping less, cancelling out of FA's before it's too late (if the lag allows), and controlling space with pokes and hadokens. The works.

There is no shortage of good to great SF4 Ryu play on You Tube as well (match vids, tutorial vids, and the like). You can start from here, then branch out:

tut for the newest version of Ryu:

Alright thanks. I have AE for 360 and I play it a lot more often than I play vanilla on PC, I just used the PC version so I'd have a way to record it. At some point I'll play some more matches with less lag and try recording them.
  • JusticeJustice Joined: Posts: 46
    User_ said:

The best advice I can offer you is to hit the lab (Practice Mode) pick a character to fight against and set the AI on Maximum (whatever the hardest difficulty is that your game has). Now just sit there and block. Don't just stand there holding back though, try to block every shot. Go through the entire roster starting with people you have a hard time reading. You have to make blocking an automatic reaction and this will get you started :D
  • RadicalFuzzRadicalFuzz Invading Pokopon's Courtrooms Joined: Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurous, having the matches playback with tons of lag actually is useful. Useful only after the fight, but still useful. It's showing the entire match in slow motion so it's a lot easier to see things than if the match was normal speed. 
    From watching your Ryu vs Akuma video:
    -You don't seem to have a reason for some moves you do. You do Roundhouse a lot and then go into Tatsu. Tatsu isn't safe if they crouch and you can get punished for it so it's not good to use frequently. Same thing with a few of your Shoryukens (2:20)
    -Some moves you use at odd times (2:20 shoryu, kicks at 2:46 & 2:55, super at 3:20). It's good to be unpredictable but some of these moves are just missing entirely and you're getting punished. By the end of the match, Akuma is baiting your uppercuts, waiting for you to throw them out so he can punch you on the way down. 

The big thing I'm seeing is you're kinda throwing out random stuff and hoping it'll hit. For every action you take, even walking, ask yourself why you're doing it and if it's the best option. Go through and watch matches of people and try to see why they're moving certain ways. Don't necessarily copy everything they do but try to see why someone's going for a throw 4 times in a row and landing every one.

Here's a Ryu vs Chun match that has a lot of footsies in it. Watch their spacing throughout the match, both players are trying to stay in a very specific sweet spot where they can sway in and out of anything the other does. Every action they take is very deliberate and calculated.

I am the one true frog.