3s New Player FAQ // Directions -- START HERE

SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
Alright, alright, tomorrow I'll post something. I'd do it now but there's a scheduled power outage soon.

In lighter news, Guitar Hero ROCKS! Get that ish!

N

--

edited by eKiN

as requested, the last released Japanese match up chart can be found below:

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/206/20051226123941589560sg.jpg

Comments

• strakkastrakka *.* Joined: Posts: 698
    I like this thread.
    I don't care what you say, in a non-gay way, I love Zach Braff, Zach Braff....
  • MuskauMuskau The Patriots Joined: Posts: 1,033
    Empty your inbox so we can actually PM you to TELL you that the thread hasn't been updated, baka!
    When this site started, some six years ago, if you made some dumb "hi i'm new" thread, your ass was grass. Much like high school, you learned to watch what you say, and to back it up if necessary. In the end, it made you a better person. Guess that aspect of SRK is lost forever. - Mr Punkus '06
  • shiraseshirase scrubtastic, for now Joined: Posts: 20
    Help! Plz? Heheh.
  • RakukojinRakukojin Joined: Posts: 309
    Since no one is posting anything, here's some videos new players should watch:

http://www.combovideos.com/page.php?id=118
    Basics of 3S (2nd half to be made).

http://www.combovideos.com/page.php?id=58
    Some combo links for every character.

http://www.combovideos.com/page.php?id=86
    Ground crossup tutorial.

http://media.bustkaratedojo.net/
    Guide to meaty hits.

Parry exhibition (red parry too).
  • epsilon_epsilon_ helpful Joined: Posts: 3,582
    play chun li.
    i don't care what the critics say, violence is a beauuutiful thing!
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    I have taught a few people 3rd Strike and this is the training regime I get them to use.

Some people master phase one in 2 weeks, others longer. BTW this is for use on a single character.

PHASE I Beginner:

Experiment with all the characters (take as long as you need, weeks, months, etc...) then pick a character you will enjoying playing with for a long long time.

1. When you pick you character learn all his/her normal moves. And pay close attention to your distancing. Be able to use your dashes in an ok manner.

2. When you have your normals down, learn your character's command attacks. Try to perform a hit with them 25% of the time you pull it off. Yeah its low but hey your a beginner.

3. Super time! Learn what all 3 of your supers do. Then learn to pull them off when you want them to go off. (The number of times I have seen people lose because the kept trying and failed to perform a super is crazy)

4. Parring- This should be learned as you play. Hit forward and risk getting punched in the face, jsut got to get your timing right.

5-Your a beginner you will loose 90% of the time against someone who is not. Do not give up because of it. Every match is an opportunity to learn, and every match is practice.

PHASE II Intermediate
    will post later!
  • 3rd strike3rd strike JAV 大好きです Joined: Posts: 430
    Japan Tier list now!
    90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
  • coreografocoreografo dd-younghou Joined: Posts: 683
    what is de advantage of know match ups tier list if you not know "why" you chars have advantage/disadvantage vs other chars??

lasker say:

"the theory bores to me ".."the reality make me strong"

excuse mi english
  • Spectre7Spectre7 The Gentleman Joined: Posts: 2,363
    Ryu is 9th?!? :sad:
    "We don't make mistakes, just happy accidents." -Bob Ross.
  • miomio You have no dignity. Joined: Posts: 552
    "the theory bores to me ".."the reality make me strong"

I agree. Discussions and theories can only go so far.... Although they are great and very helpful a lot of the time, I think the absolute best way to get good at third strike (aside from discussion, watching videos, etc.) is simply playing other people and playing the game as much as you possibly can. Learn from your mistakes, learn everything there is to know about your character, learn about the different match ups, learn the punishments and setups that work well, get your execution down and then play play play. Then after time and experience, you will have knowledge of the game itself and knowledge of the mind aspect of the game.... and you will most likely THEN be a good player.
  • Septimus PrimeSeptimus Prime Grammar Fhrer Joined: Posts: 5,722
    play chun li.
    Co-sign.

I'm no longer a beginner, and now it's almost like I have to start over because Chun's just so much better than Alex.:annoy: :wasted: :confused: :sad: :shake: :bluu:
    Beef: It's what's for dinner.
    Beer: It's what's for right fucking now.

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice... fuck you.
  • LEVALEVA I want your lamer soul Joined: Posts: 251
    Keep powerbombing their asses! Don't become another chun player :wink:
  • GoLD-ReaVeRGoLD-ReaVeR Joined: Posts: 585
    Stay on the ground would be a good thing for starters:P To make it even more fun: don't dash. Just enforce it till you feel totally comfortable with it, then start loosening up with jumping and dashes. It really makes a HUGE difference.
    I will win. Eventually...

Starcraft II is gonna be imbalanced: Terrans get Chuck.
  • coreografocoreografo dd-younghou Joined: Posts: 683

:confused:
    ryu not is bad ..you can win only need practice and work ..i think for yourself and understand the game ..

i not think this match ups table suck ...i think "how the lot of people use this" is mistake ....(he try "no-think")

excuse me english
  • Capn SpankyCapn Spanky Bullet Billpocalypse Joined: Posts: 1,795

THis is according to the Japanese match up charts. Take note that the japanese are insane with the "top tier" characters. Ryu is considered 9 because the other shotos have alot more speed with only a small power compromise. Also, comparing the movesets of each of the characters and the different crossups/ cancels/ SA's and speed in general, Akuma (Gouki) and Ken outclass Ryu. Of course, this is only a statistical chart. So, an excellent Ryu player can still control a fight, but isn't nearly as versatile as one of the other shotos. (Though Ryu has some devastating set ups and combos. I prefer doing a normal attack, throwing out a hadoken, and then canceling into SA II). But then again, alot of people have always considered Ken better than Ryu and, up until SF3. Akuma was damn near invincible. But hey, if you want to play ryu, then play as Ryu. Maybe its up for one of the Ryu masters at this forum to move him up from 9th. Also, maybe if there were MORE Ryu players, he would move up much higher.
    This is JAPAN ONLY chart. It ll gives you almost nothing if theres no strong comp in your area like, say... russia...
  • ThE CRoWThE CRoW Joined: Posts: 759
    Sorry if it's been asked before, but which version of 3s on consoles is the best?
  • JackTenrac!JackTenrac! Dollar Yen - Level 304 Joined: Posts: 2,808
    Sorry if it's been asked before, but which version of 3s on consoles is the best?

http://candycabinetcity.com/?p=102

there's more on the arguement... I'll post it up later.
    Brett at T7- "Bearrama?!"
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
    Thongboy...where's part2?
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
  • Demon DashDemon Dash Hyper Viper Raccoon! Joined: Posts: 5,880
    Not much info, so here goes... 3rd Strike is all about mind games and out thinking your opponent. The idea is to take what your character has and abuse it to overcome your opponents weaknesses. In most cases match-ups are relatively important as some characters have very strong play styles, like Urien or Yun for example.

If you're new to the game and their isn't much active competition in your area you're really going to have to do some studying, like watching match videos. Knowing what moves each character should/does use and how they work to gain results is essential, as if you go into competition blind you're going to see some really extravegant things and get overcome pretty often.

Don't listen to people when they say "you should use this character..." Quite simply, they're up them selves. Explore all the characters and find one that works best for you. When you do, stick with them and practice. Learn their moves, priorities, bread and butter combos and most importantly, mix-ups. Also, don't forget to punnish, it's one of the most common ways to deal damage in 3rd Strike and it can add wonders to your game by adjusting to do so.

Anyway, other people can give way better advice than I can, but this is the basic aproach you want to take the game...
    "I'm speculating that it was M.O.D.O.K. that tore my dog's ACL. That crazy maniac was flying his hoverchair DRUNK. DRUNK on POWER. And booze. But mostly on POWER!" - corrosivefrost :rofl:
  • ThE CRoWThE CRoW Joined: Posts: 759

http://candycabinetcity.com/?p=102

there's more on the arguement... I'll post it up later.

Thanks for the link. I have both a ps2 and a dc and was wondering if the ps2 US sf3 anniversary was a perfect arcade port.
    Don't listen to that bull crap, PS2 is the way to go. Only problem with the US version is the match recording feature doesn't work on play back.
    "I'm speculating that it was M.O.D.O.K. that tore my dog's ACL. That crazy maniac was flying his hoverchair DRUNK. DRUNK on POWER. And booze. But mostly on POWER!" - corrosivefrost :rofl:
  • WickedElementWickedElement *HUGS* Joined: Posts: 749
    The PS2 replay save feature records and plays everything just fine, but the catch is that if you pause the game at any moment during a match, then the playback will only have movement only up until the point of the pausing of the game.
    Don't stand so close to Gief. But, seriously don't. He'll grab ya. :eek:
    GGPO/PSN: WickedElement
    Untrue...
    Untrue...

Really? Hmmm...I played around with the replay feature and it seemed to only ruin the recording whenever the actual fight was paused and unpaused. Then the playback would play fine until the point that the fight was paused, then the characters would just stand still until the time ran out. Basically becoming a waste of a replay.

If anything i'll check it out sometime again to double check, but yeah if there could be some sort of emphasis on why it's untrue, that would help me out. :wonder:
    Because it's been said a million times that it's fucked in the US version... It's never worked when I tried it either...
    Ah I see. :wonder:
    Why would both DC versions differ btw? Just asking because I'm usually using that to practice. Aren't they the same ports but translated.
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
    Does anything talked about here apply to say.. the JP version of 3rd Strike on PS2? I'm a bit paranoid now :o
  • JidaJida Young Bison Face Joined: Posts: 731
    Does anything talked about here apply to say.. the JP version of 3rd Strike on PS2? I'm a bit paranoid now :o

You mean the replay stuff? No, that's fine in the Japanese version of the game.
    ......im sure it's been stated already; but you niggas gay. If you wouldn't hit that, you are riding some black cock right now.
    -TheSix
  • MixahMixah Joined: Posts: 8,130
    Why is this thread suddenly about which version is best?
    Beat... That's all.
    Why would both DC versions differ btw? Just asking because I'm usually using that to practice. Aren't they the same ports but translated.

Yeh why?
  • Riot GuardRiot Guard Old School Joined: Posts: 3,903
    play chun li.

Give em the easy way out, huh Epsilon :). I say learn Urien if you want to increase your self esteem and position in life.
  • ShinVegaShinVega Shoryuken'n est. 92' Joined: Posts: 191
    What are Tourny Settings in terms of System Direction? I'm pretty sure they're the "normal" and not original. Is this correct?
    No freely available material is allowed on this site, no exceptions. - ptp
    SF2 Code v1.0: t s+ T++ r f++ g+ m+ s+ v++ M++ n++:-- o++
    that matchup chart, where did u get it thong? Keep us upto date if u get it personally, otherwise post the link!
    Hi i'm looking to start playing 3s, I just dunno what character to learn first?
    I hear yun, chun, and ken are top tiers.
    I was looking to learn a good poke character, like twelve until i heard he was bottom tier. any ideas on a good starting character
  • GoLD-ReaVeRGoLD-ReaVeR Joined: Posts: 585
    Start the one you want to play with, that's all what's important really.
    I will win. Eventually...

Starcraft II is gonna be imbalanced: Terrans get Chuck.
  • HenakiHenaki Joined: Posts: 2,661
    Hi i'm looking to start playing 3s, I just dunno what character to learn first?
    I hear yun, chun, and ken are top tiers.
    I was looking to learn a good poke character, like twelve until i heard he was bottom tier. any ideas on a good starting character

chun li is the best poke character in the game.
  • RyadRyad Space Cowboy Joined: Posts: 920
    Ken is pretty good too...
    though not as gifted as chun, he can link into super through many of his pokes easily...
    but dont jump on the bandwagon... pick whoever you find interesting and cool
    "El Niňo is spanish. It is the spanish word for child. Like all things spanish, it is dangerous" - Jeremy Lavine