3s New Player FAQ // Directions -- START HERE

Comments

• COMMONSENSECOMMONSENSE Veni Vidi Vici Joined: Posts: 564
    I respect anyone giving this game a try. Its an amazing game and its alot of fun. I suggest anyone trying to level up to just go to training mode and just try get comfortable with the game. I use to beat the game over and over just to get a feel for the game. Practice parrying things. Very important to practice hit confirms. If anyone does not know how to do that you set the dummy to random guard and infinite meter. Then less say with Ken cr.st you throw that poke out see if they block or get hit. If it hits rip super and just practice that over and over again intil you are hit confirming super everytime. Most satisfying feeling ever imo. Anyway im down to play and help out anyone so hit me up with a pm if your down.
  • SpyridonSpyridon Joined: Posts: 484
    I'm not sure how you're doing stuff but when I go to punish a whiff or blocked something with say cr.mk to shinkuu I do the first qcf as part of my crouch and as I'm hitting mk I'm already doing the second qcf then hitting punch.

Try and play around with your timing a bit and see how long you can stretch out the inputs. You may just be trying too hard and goofing yourself. I do that often when I'm trying to practice something and I think too hard. Like doing Urien tackle combos. When I look away or basically do it lazily I hit it 7/10 times, when I focus I fuck up repeatedly because I'm trying too hard.

Yeah I usually try to do what you mentioned in the first paragraph. Just unsuccessful lol.

I know what you mean about practice, usually early on my execution is great but later on I start trying to hard and slipping. But my problem is moreso in real matches. I'm wondering if maybe I perform too fast in a real fight or something.

It sucks because. as mentioned above, I have no problem in MvC doing Dantes moves which require the same inputs... so there is definitely a difference in inputs between the two games /sigh

Also part of the problem is the lobby structure in player matches. It's hard to get in some good practice when you have to wait for a room full of people to go before you get another turn. I've tried making my own lobbys and waiting for people to join, but that never happens, so I'm stuck in either arcade mode or a room full of people who can all beat me first try /sigh.
    I respect anyone giving this game a try. Its an amazing game and its alot of fun. I suggest anyone trying to level up to just go to training mode and just try get comfortable with the game. I use to beat the game over and over just to get a feel for the game. Practice parrying things. Very important to practice hit confirms. If anyone does not know how to do that you set the dummy to random guard and infinite meter. Then less say with Ken cr.st you throw that poke out see if they block or get hit. If it hits rip super and just practice that over and over again intil you are hit confirming super everytime. Most satisfying feeling ever imo. Anyway im down to play and help out anyone so hit me up with a pm if i your down.

I wish I could hit confirm a super... at this point I cant even combo the super if I try the majority of the time lol.

I'll watch that vid someone linked above and see if it helps though.
  • CrashdCrashd Joined: Posts: 270
    can't for the life of me execute the double QCF motion that the SA require on my TE stick. I was forced to go to a pad and can do them on it much easier.
    Same here... fwiw, I think you can stop the second 'QCF' on DF and still have the move come out? But I can't be 100% sure without input display :(

It would be useful to know what input shortcuts 3S accepts, can anybody help? Apparently DF, D, DF will dragon punch.
  • rikki tikki tavirikki tikki tavi Joined: Posts: 7
    Same here... fwiw, I think you can stop the second 'QCF' on DF and still have the move come out? But I can't be 100% sure without input display :(

It would be useful to know what input shortcuts 3S accepts, can anybody help? Apparently DF, D, DF will dragon punch.

As far as I know there are no real "shortcuts" SF4 style for the inputs.

Does the TE stick have a square gate? If it does that might be what's giving you trouble with pulling off super arts. I changed the gate on my stick (custom built) to an octagonal one and had a much easier time.

Now my question, why are there so many Ryu players online? Not just that but the majority use super art 1 it's weird. I have played around 20 ranked matches or so and 60% have been against Ryu. My advice if you like shotos is use super art 3 for Ryu and learn his Denjin set-ups, or switch to Ken. Also, stop trying to zone with fireballs.
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,711
    there are shortcuts for everything but qcf and charges. everything else has variable inputs itll accept and even some weirdness I don't quite understanding having to do with holding an input vs just tapping and possibly even move dependent.

The shortcuts are probably almost the same as sf4, I don't know exactly but the main difference is the timing between inputs accepted and the window for inputs.
    Play more.
  • ESNESN 最初はぐう... Joined: Posts: 1,347
    Fuck those shortcuts, just learn the motion as it is.
    Damn, is doing f,d,df that hard? d,df,f,d,df,f inhuman?
    It's dumb that OE doesn't have input display, but as you're asking for shortcuts, you're probably coming from SF4, so launch that game one last time, training, input display on, and practice until you see the real motion on screen.
  • FadethFadeth Joined: Posts: 8
    Game would be fun for me if the execution wasn't so freekin hard. (ssf4ae is a cakewalk compared to this insanity)

Been practicing an hour and can't do a single kara throw. gg
  • Smoove187Smoove187 ghost Joined: Posts: 835
    Game would be fun for me if the execution wasn't so freekin hard. (ssf4ae is a cakewalk compared to this insanity)

Been practicing an hour and can't do a single kara throw. gg

doing it correctly? ... http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2007/dec/04/kara-throwing-street-fighter-3-third-strike/
  • mwelshmwelsh Drill Sergeant Joined: Posts: 183
    If you're coming from SF4, kara throw is like a plink input. You should hear the two distinct taps from the mp and then lp+lk. Try it with Akuma -- f+mp ~ throw. If the throw comes out but you don't hear Akuma grunt and move forward, then you are hitting throw too soon. If only f+mp comes out, then you hit throw too late.

If you're playing on a pad, it's trickier to do than on a stick -- it might be helpful to reassign the controls in a way to make it easier.
  • bkfst_sausagebkfst_sausage ST / SRK2k3 OG Joined: Posts: 2,802
    Question about shortcut DPs.

So in 3S, you can shortcut a DP like this...

:d:+:mk:, :df::d::df:+:p:
    But the shortcut for a super is this...
    :qcf::d::df:

How can I shortcut DP into a super?
    If I can't, that's fine, and I can typically do it manually... But I'm just curious to know, so I have that option if necessary.
    PSN: M1X4H < click it!
  • DesertWindDesertWind Joined: Posts: 134
    Is this something like what you're looking for? Because this is about as abbreviated as I've ever tried to make it (and it's so easy that I haven't cared to try harder).

D DF D DFx(P/K) F (neutral) D DFx(P/KP
  • Mr. DeViouSMr. DeViouS Kind of a Douche Joined: Posts: 32
    Can someone help me? I've got some questions about the DLC content... sort of... that I can't seem to find on this site, or Google.
    1) How do I unlock the extra dipswitches without buying them?
    2) Are the DLC costumes the same as the 2nd Strike ones you unlock with Arcade mode?
    she asked to come over, and I said "shoryuken", then we did this:
    charge:b::f::b::f::b::f::b::f:>>:360:xx:3p:>>:hcb:xx:s:
    before I :hk: her ass out
  • bkfst_sausagebkfst_sausage ST / SRK2k3 OG Joined: Posts: 2,802
    Is this something like what you're looking for? Because this is about as abbreviated as I've ever tried to make it (and it's so easy that I haven't cared to try harder).

D DF D DFx(P/K) F (neutral) D DFx(P/KP
    Thank you.
    PSN: M1X4H < click it!
  • akuaku スピリチュアルやからね! Joined: Posts: 3,865
    Can someone help me? I've got some questions about the DLC content... sort of... that I can't seem to find on this site, or Google.
    1) How do I unlock the extra dipswitches without buying them?
    2) Are the DLC costumes the same as the 2nd Strike ones you unlock with Arcade mode?

- That already got answered in the other thread so check it again.
    - No, most of them are new as far as I know.
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,239
    How do you mash more hits for a throw that allows it (Ken and Dudley neutral throws)and break out of them quickly?

Just spinning the joystick?
    You did not go back in time, this is how the forums look.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
    How do you mash more hits for a throw that allows it (Ken and Dudley neutral throws)and break out of them quickly?

Just spinning the joystick?

some people run their palm/side of hand back and forth across the buttons while spinning the stick. I drum across them and spin the stick.
    Play more.
    Fuck those shortcuts, just learn the motion as it is.
    Damn, is doing f,d,df that hard? d,df,f,d,df,f inhuman?
    It's dumb that OE doesn't have input display, but as you're asking for shortcuts, you're probably coming from SF4, so launch that game one last time, training, input display on, and practice until you see the real motion on screen.
    He must not know. Does anybody know? I notice that half-circles seem to work differently for just about every move I try: Q's throw lets you start on DF, Ryu's kick lets you stop on DF, Oro's throw makes you go the whole distance, evidently. I presume 360 really means 270 in all cases?

Another thing: what can Q do about Akuma's tatsus? (I guess I could take this to the Q forum but it seems too basic D: ) Can't punish(?), almost impossible to interrupt them on startup. It's like an auto-win button, against me anyway...

EDIT: just checked UltraDavid's guide... "If you don't have super and can't parry, Akuma can literally spam roundhouse hurricane kick against you until you die of chip damage." D'oh...
    Besides a reversal SA2 after a blocked Tatsu, there's not really anything Q can do against Akuma Tatsu on block. I guess the best you can do is just anticipate with a parry, or just red parry the last hit.
  • GaijinblazeGaijinblaze fingerlicans Joined: Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    in 3S, the second qcf for supers can end at d/f. besides the ones you mentioned, i don't know of anything else.

some characters can jump after blocking a hurricane and take advantage of the next hurricane's whiff. i do it with urien using j.hk when i get annoyed by hurricanes. usually i'd have to jump backward in order to have time to see whether or not he did it. q might be a little larger in the air so you might have to option parry on the way up before you press anything. jumping and using air parry/j.hp or whatever also gives you a statistically better chance than a ground parry in that situation (no high/low mixup). record akuma in training mode and test things out. you could probably also kara throw.
    This message will self-destruct.
    I guess this is my thread lol

Remy is my worst matchup with Q. Please don't laugh. LoV-dive kick is like an inescapable lockdown. What can Q do about the dive kick?
    Nah, it's a hard matchup for Q so don't feel too bad. There isn't really much he can do besides inch his way in and anticipate LoVs. If you see LoV->CBK(the dive kick) coming in as a pattern, then just parry both and punish accordingly. CBK can also be thrown out of if they do it too close, if I remember right(somebody check this please, it's been a while since I fought a Remy). Otherwise, just inch your way in, parrying LoVs while trying to close the gap and anticipating any anti-air followups they might have after throwing one. Get your taunts in too, because Remy does shit damage and you'll have more opportunities to get them in. If you get hit during the taunt, be sure to at least have the ground shake because that means you got the Defense boost.

Also remember that Q's SA1 breezes through fireballs, which is like his biggest weapon against LoVs/or fireballs in general.

What I like to occasionally do from a certain distance is parry->instant Dash Punch(hold back, neutral, tap forward to parry->P). This helps against mid-screen fireball spammers, and while Remy may recover too quickly for you to punish, at the very least you closed the gap. Just don't get too predictable with it because he can parry your Dash Punch.
  • Joker ShadeJoker Shade Joined: Posts: 63
    Who do you guys feel are the top 5 offensive and defensive characters? Not whether they're high on the tiers, but rather who do you feel fits the theme of full out offense and full on defense?
    Main: (?) Button
    PC (GFWL): Joker Shade
    Tough to say, since most of the cast require a balance of good offense and defense. If I had to choose, though..

Offense(no particular order):
    - Akuma
    - Makoto
    - Yang
    - Alex
    - Ibuki

I also want to add Necro and Hugo to this list. Hugo may seem like he doesn't fit, but he's a character that has to approach the opponent to be a threat. Necro's also a character that is best effective in close range.

Defense:
    - Q
    - Remy
    - Twelve
    - Urien(no bar)
    - Chun

Most of the characters are in this weird gray area, to be honest. It really depends on the matchup for most of them, because while someone like Chun is known for being a very pokey and turtley character, she needs to go on the offense against certain characters like Yun. Likewise, Necro may work best close-range, but he needs to play defensively and from a distance against Hugo.
  • Drizzle BubbleDrizzle Bubble FADC TAUNT Joined: Posts: 492
    From what I've heard Ryu sit's inbetween defensive and offensive and can be played in both styles.

I'm having a lot of trouble picking my character in this game. I love the game, but I don't really like the characters.
    At the moment I'm playing Makoto and Sean.

For someone who plays Sakura in other games, who do you think would be best to use in this game. Please don't say Ken XD
    SKULLGUUURRLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS - PARASOUL, FILIAAAA
    From what I've heard Ryu sit's inbetween defensive and offensive and can be played in both styles.

I'm having a lot of trouble picking my character in this game. I love the game, but I don't really like the characters.
    At the moment I'm playing Makoto and Sean.

For someone who plays Sakura in other games, who do you think would be best to use in this game. Please don't say Ken XD

Basically every character can be played a variety of ways.
    Don't play Sean. Really simple. Waste of your time if you're serious about the game. Don't use Chris G as an example, he plays other characters and he's much better than you.

I don't even know how Sakura plays. Just try out everyone. You're going to bounce around a lot until you just suck it up and decide to properly learn someone. It takes time and you'll be doing a lot of 'boring' shit but that's how you start to improve.
    Play more.
  • RaishinXRaishinX I fell off Joined: Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

If there's a certain character you do or don't want to play I'd say you're better off making a decision based upon that.

But as far as sakura goes....I'd say.....Yang?? His low forward and standing short can be cancelled into mantis slashes (for a bnb) SORTA like something I've seen sakura do in other games. His damage/stun can pile up miraculously and he's quite good overall.

Either that or Ibuki/Makoto cuz they're all japanese, female and attending high school.
    i just stared at beast for 5 minutes.... hes looking right at me
    like im poongko and i got his money -Jaja Novistro
  • offcelloffcell Rugged industrialist hamster. Joined: Posts: 8
    I'm trying to do the trials, but I keep messing up the last parry trial. I can't do the combo after the parry of chun li's super. I hit the jumping RH, and then the trial fails before I can combo into low forward. I can't do the full combo into super on its own 100 %, but I get it around 1/2 of the time in training mode. But in the parry trial it fails before I even go into low forward for some reason. Is the timing different of the RH after the air parry? When just doing the combo alone it seems you can throw out the jRH almost whenever and it combos.. I tried this shit for like an hour, so frustrating.

I don't know, the way I do the combo is to input the low forward while doing the DP motion, press strong, and then just input/mash the super. Maybe I'm just too slow with all the stuff going on in the trial?
  • GaijinblazeGaijinblaze fingerlicans Joined: Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    that trial is a little weird. it pulls a fast one on you by failing if it predicts the c.mk won't come out soon enough to combo even though it looks like it might. just hit the j.hk as late as possible.
    This message will self-destruct.
  • ViacheViache Joined: Posts: 781
    I dug around for this a little bit, but I can't find very much.

I looked up the startup on Ken's UOH and it's listed as "16~23." I would guess this means it has variable startup, but that doesn't make much sense to me given how startup/active/recovery frames usually work. What exactly does "16~23" mean here?
    I dug around for this a little bit, but I can't find very much.

I looked up the startup on Ken's UOH and it's listed as "16~23." I would guess this means it has variable startup, but that doesn't make much sense to me given how startup/active/recovery frames usually work. What exactly does "16~23" mean here?

I think what he's trying to illustrate is that it depends on the distance from the opponent? like if you do it close up itll hit early around 16 frames, at the edge of its range its around 23?

Not sure on that but that would be my guess.
    Play more.
  • OMG its a duckOMG its a duck Bruh I'm in down bad bruh Joined: Posts: 1,920
    I think what he's trying to illustrate is that it depends on the distance from the opponent? like if you do it close up itll hit early around 16 frames, at the edge of its range its around 23?

Not sure on that but that would be my guess.

But wouldn't that just be part of start up? I don't get how that would be different from just having multiple active frames. Like does the move actually physically change depending on the distance?
    But wouldn't that just be part of start up? I don't get how that would be different from just having multiple active frames. Like does the move actually physically change depending on the distance?

no idea bro. all i know is uoh are different depending on distance and looking at ESNs data there the blocked or hit advantage are ranges, not exact amounts and I know that's because of the distance. ESN'll clear it up probably when he invariably appears in here.
    Play more.

That would seem to make sense given that it has 7 active frames. But I would think it's exactly like hitting any other move meaty, so I'm curious if the notation indicates that something different is happening there. Akuma's entry just says 16f startup, 7f active, which is would I would generally expect.

Most UOHs are listed as 16~25 with 9 active frames. Ryu's and Yun's are 16~24, 8 active; and Sean's is 16~23, 7 active.

Ibuki's is weird: 16~25 with 10 active frames. Maybe that's an error?
  • afsddfasdfasafsddfasdfas Joined: Posts: 117
    Seems like the way they list the move data on that website is a bit inconsistent. On the Japanese frame date website they just have Ken's UOH listed as hitting on the 16th frame and having 8 active frames (i.e. 16-23).
    ☠☠☠
  • ESNESN 最初はぐう... Joined: Posts: 1,347
    That's it, startup 15 (will hit on 16th), 8 active frames. Those values on old karathrow.com are weird (or it's a mistake i just copied).
    As you guys said, startup is invariable, and other paremeters entirely depend on how deep the uoh is.

http://ensabahnur.free.fr/BastonNew/hitboxesDisplay.php?iChar=11&sMoveType=fd_normals&sAction=w&iMove=35
    http://ensabahnur.free.fr/BastonNew/index.php?id=11 (frames adv./disadv are wrong for UOH, i recently found an error in my recolt process script...)
    Perfect, thanks for the clarification.
  • zeechzeech Dismember Joined: Posts: 578
    Hi, dont know much about 3S but just curious. Is it possible to punish a parry?

Lets say I wrote a simple bot for 3S. All it does is walk towards you, break all throws, and parry everything.

Apart from command throws, what would damage it?
    Hi, dont know much about 3S but just curious. Is it possible to punish a parry?

Lets say I wrote a simple bot for 3S. All it does is walk towards you, break all throws, and parry everything.

Apart from command throws, what would damage it?
    First hit of KKZ can't be parried, so it'd have to at least be chipped there. Also the Gill QCFx2 + K super can't be parried either I believe.
  • zeechzeech Dismember Joined: Posts: 578
    First hit of KKZ can't be parried, so it'd have to at least be chipped there. Also the Gill QCFx2 + K super can't be parried either I believe.

Do you mean that, apart from select moves, it cant be done? Theres no general mechanic or tactic to damage something that can parry & throw break everything? (apart from command throw and those moves.)
    Do you mean that, apart from select moves, it cant be done? Theres no general mechanic or tactic to damage something that can parry & throw break everything? (apart from command throw and those moves.)
    ESN should probably confirm or deny this but I think the throw escape animation is vulnerable, so that means something like "force them to parry something like Akuma SAI or Aegis -> throw them while parrying -> they break the throw and get hit by the super"

Or it's not and I'm just a fool flapping my gums. But ya, apart from that stuff I can't think of a way to hurt someone who breaks all throws and parries all attacks.