Every Day is SMP Day: The Naoto Thread

Comments

• NarcowskiNarcowski Joined: Posts: 841
    It's been rumored that it would be patched out since it was discovered, and it probably will be removed if ASW releases another balance update. On the other hand, it's still there for now, and honestly it's not hard, especially from 5A.

Naoto v. Kanji: I lame this one out, typically. Well-placed j.214C prevents him from diving, and then you're free to shoot him to your heart's content. If he moves for Lightning, adjust your positioning and take the free primer away from him. Your main concern should be not getting scooped; his Awakening super command grab does more than 50% to Naoto on counter hit.
    Anybody have any advice against Shadow Labrys? Asterius just blocks bullets all day and he makes it pretty hard to set up traps around the stage. I'm also having trouble against Shadow Labrys's IAD j.B and cross up j.B. Once she gets in it's curtains, cause it seems like she can pressure and pummel Naoto for free. DP seems especially useless in this matchup.

Rush her down, trying to break Asterius (her Persona); you are more mobile than she is, and you aren't going to break it by turtling. Getting put on defense in this matchup makes it very hard for Naoto; you have low life and pressure from a good S.Lab is a scary thing.
  • STANGSTANG Joined: Posts: 1,200
    I've heard that SMP is getting patched out?
    Any concrete info on that, don't feel like wasting my time on something that will be gone soon enough.

Also, what is the Naoto V Kanji matchup?

where did you hear that from? There isn't even any word that there will be a patch for this game. Please don't start rumors.
  • SpaceOutNightmareSpaceOutNightmare Stays Sandbaggin' Joined: Posts: 2,351
    where did you hear that from? There isn't even any word that there will be a patch for this game. Please don't start rumors.
    Hence why I asked for concrete info.
    Thinking about redoing BOB tournament for the patch, anyone game?
  • PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,477
    He's not starting a rumor, he's asking for confirmation/info if anyone has any.

I mean... I understand why they'd do it, so for now I'll just stick with simple 5AA starter as a punish near the corner. Otherwise I'll just use IAD combos mid screen and not be too concerned otherwise.
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
  • ManyeahtruManyeahtru Joined: Posts: 45
    Also, what is the Naoto V Kanji matchup?

i met a kanji player that i played a couple matches in ranked with and he said in his opinion the matchup is 7-4 in Naotos favor.. i said thats BS and we just hit up some plater matches..

Alot of the matches come close but no matter how much damage i do with traps moving around gun shots etc etc if i get stuck in ONE good command throw loop im done.. it does so much damage.. just crouch under the leaping throw and also 214AB is your friend to get out of corners also hopping the command throw on reaction if you can.. ive also had good success just rushing them down but like i said.. one good grab and its all for naught

The super at the end is obviously not practical, and 236B (FC) doesn't come up much, but this looks worth learning to me...
    i met a kanji player that i played a couple matches in ranked with and he said in his opinion the matchup is 7-4 in Naotos favor.. i said thats BS and we just hit up some plater matches..

Alot of the matches come close but no matter how much damage i do with traps moving around gun shots etc etc if i get stuck in ONE good command throw loop im done.. it does so much damage.. just crouch under the leaping throw and also 214AB is your friend to get out of corners also hopping the command throw on reaction if you can.. ive also had good success just rushing them down but like i said.. one good grab and its all for naught
    That's how I felt when I played a Kanji at locals.

If I keep him out until awakening, I get thrown, one more canceled, and bam, all my hard work gone, and it's 'next hit kills'.
    That's how I felt when I played a Kanji at locals.

If I keep him out until awakening, I get thrown, one more canceled, and bam, all my hard work gone, and it's 'next hit kills'.

him more than anyone i try and get the fate meter down.. its actually happens quick if they keep running into traps tryna leap at me.. also spamming gun shots but leaving the last fate one in the chamber in case they jump at me..

keep getting happy trying to get in and be surrounded by light nomsayin
  • GemakaiGemakai Making this look cool! Joined: Posts: 1,088
    Kanji v Naoto is definitely an interesting fight, forcing you to exploit Naoto's zoning moreso than her other matchups

This is a good watch for that fight though. The Naoto player plays very smart and keeps away from Kanji. The Kanji fight definitely seems like the one fight where Mudoon/Hamaon is most useful
    BBCP: Kokonoe, Bullet | GGXrd: Slayer, Elphelt, Ky | Skullgirls: Cerebella, Filia, Beowulf,
    SFxT: Elena, Dudley, Vega, Asuka, Julia, Paul | USF4: Vega, Makoto, Elena, Decapre, Dudley

• STANGSTANG Joined: Posts: 1,200
    If they patch it out, theres nothing you can do about that. But there is no reason why you shouldn't be learning her most damaging combos because in the future they might patch it out. There is no info on a patch even in the works so SMP away people.
    EDIT: HERP A DERP! I READ THE POSTS

Something I found in random searching. Seems like a nice midscreen combo to consider.
    BBCP: Kokonoe, Bullet | GGXrd: Slayer, Elphelt, Ky | Skullgirls: Cerebella, Filia, Beowulf,
    SFxT: Elena, Dudley, Vega, Asuka, Julia, Paul | USF4: Vega, Makoto, Elena, Decapre, Dudley

I linked that like five posts up, haha.
    Anyways, the guy that devised it called it "unoptimized"; you can apparently loop the IADs in the same direction as well for a full corner-to-corner carry into 236A~D knockdown.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Oq27NLnkdOM
    Optimized (?) midscreen FC combos.

edit: one more...
    Okay, I've been getting bopped at locals pretty badly.

I don't think that it's because they're even better than me, I believe it's because.

1:I can't find good ground to start with Naoto.
    2:They're playing easier characters to learn.

2 is not my problem and I have to deal with it, but I come to you all about number 1, where should I start out with Naoto?

Simple combos with her are not a problem, but the iad combos are out of my reach.

Should I learn my traps more first, become a training mode hero until my optomized bnbs are down, or what?
  • IchipooIchipoo Not in front of the mirror, it's embarrassing <3 Joined: Posts: 2,532
    In general, a good start for Naoto in a neutral situation is to be laying traps at different locations in order to limit your opponent's movement. Well aimed shots should do this as well. If they get caught in a ground trap, it's a free combo for you. However, don't just use the traps as tools for a free combo, if you catch your opponent trying to disarm them, punish them with a 2C. If they block it, don't just call it a day, continue the pressure that the blocked trap started. Naoto's 5D~D is also good for starting pressure, if they block it, rush up and continue the pressure, if they don't, convert into a Fate Counter removing combo that you want. If the opponent sees the 5D~D coming and hits Sukona-Hikona while still invisible, don't let them get away with it for free, punish them will Aim (Front). If they jump, Aim (Anti-Air) should tag them, or if you want to risk it, Anti Air 2B or an airgrab should get them if they're not aware. The key to playing Naoto successfully is to always have an answer for what the opponent does to try to make the match a bit easier for them at all times.

Yes, I'm getting discouraged by losing more than winning at locals too. If I lose, it's because I didn't stick to the plan I layed out above more than I was supposed to. It's true that Naoto's normals are subpar, and if your opponent plays someone like Mitsuru or Yu, it's not surprising if they beat you off of random hits converted into an easy 2K-3K combo, which is something Naoto can't do unless you have godly good execution for her midscreen combos or in the corner, but just hang in there.
    *insert generic shiny, glowy, and heavily photoshopped animu sig here*
    https://twitter.com/lchipoo
    Locals is full of Yu and Chie, so, yeah.

Thanks for the advice.

One more thing, I've been looking for combo notations of this one combo where someone lets the trap hit, does 5c and then double fang and kind of repeats that.

Is that all there is to it, or are there normals that I am missing?
    The combo you're looking for is 214D(hit) 5C 236B~D 66 5C 236A~D. It's one of the "easy" variants of 214D(hit) 5C iad j.B j.C 5C 236B~D 6[6] 5C iad j.B j.C 5C 236A~D; the others are 214D(hit) 5C iad j.B j.C 5C 236A~D and 214D(hit) 5C iad j.B j.C 5C 236B~Cx5. The dash link between 236B~D and 5C is pretty difficult, as is getting the height precisely right for 5C iad j.B j.C 5C.

That's the trick though; have the height right and link your dash out of 236B~D perfectly.

PS: The Mitsuru matchup isn't too bad; Naoto is at a small disadvantage, but she has some solid tools for that fight. Yu, on the other hand, seems to be to be her worst matchup.
  • ArachnofiendArachnofiend Double Uzis and a Wink Joined: Posts: 2,058
    I've been having a much harder time with Yosuke players than I have with Yus but that may just be because I haven't fought any good Yus yet.

Any tips for the Yosuke fight? I play a very zoning oriented Naoto and Yosuke just does not give me the time to set up traps. I just get knocked down and block the next mix up until I inevitably get hit.
    Skullgirls: Peacock/Parasoul Marvel 2: BB Hood/Juggernaut/Ruby Heart Marvel 3: Tron/Strange/Skrull BlazBlue CSE: Hazama Vampire Savior: BB Hood
    Yosuke is tough as hell to fight against, and a good one will do his best to give you 0 breathing room (as he should, really). The gun is useless in this fight... don't even bother unless he's magically full screen for once and even that's dangerous because he can close space super quick.

Basically against him you just really need to hold him in the neutral area until you can build some pressure. If he gives you room set traps (burning meter for EX traps is pretty solid here), DON'T rush toward him for pokes, let him come to you and 2C for max range or 5C counter hits into damage when he tries to disarm. I do my best by that simple tactic, but other than that I haven't really found much else to do that works.

If he attempts to do the 5a/5aa -> dash cancel pressure you can stick a 5A in after he does 5AA (I think that's it, he spins the blade and cuts upward?).

The persona attack that's grounded can be just jabbed (where it just kinda rushes at you), do NOT challenge the air one, that shit will kill you, just block.

Confuse is so damn stupid, I can't stand that he has that. It fits for him, but still... it's just awful.
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
  • IchipooIchipoo Not in front of the mirror, it's embarrassing <3 Joined: Posts: 2,532
    So we all know by now that Naoto has subpar normals, which basically allows Yu and Mitsuru players to run all over us by converting lucky random hits into 2K-3K combos. Well I'm starting to think that "intelligent spamming" of Naoto's F-Action is one of the best ways to get them to calm down and respect us. Don't just use it as a Reversal, if you can tell that an opponent likes to throw out random 5A pokes to play footsies, like Mitsuru, run up > F-Action will work if you can tell when and where the gap will occur. I'm starting to incorporate this into my gameplay. Now, obviously this has a backside to it of course.
    So we all know by now that Naoto has subpar normals, which basically allows Yu and Mitsuru players to run all over us by converting lucky random hits into 2K-3K combos. Well I'm starting to think that "intelligent spamming" of Naoto's F-Action is one of the best ways to get them to calm down and respect us. Don't just use it as a Reversal, if you can tell that an opponent likes to throw out random 5A pokes to play footsies, like Mitsuru, run up > F-Action will work if you can tell when and where the gap will occur. I'm starting to incorporate this into my gameplay. Now, obviously this has a backside to it of course.

I agree. Entire fights have been completely reversed for me cause I landed a few of those on my opponent. At 2-3 fate counters a pop, if the opponent isn't careful from there on, all their efforts could be for not. (Good ol' mudo)

Yarg, still getting bodied because I either don't know the matchup at all or my hands get stupid during matches still. Looks like this week's training is entirely player match online and local offline until I can get my shit in gear, no training mode until I can hit what I already know. I usually never touch online, so I haven't gotten to play against a majority of the cast just yet... mostly have experience against Yosuke, Akihiko, and Kanji.

Finally got to try out a solid Yu yesterday, dear sweet jesus that match is going to be so hard to win. I was told that not teching after he calls his persona to eat the yellow combo into late tech wasn't smart because there's ways to just put you back into the mixup anyway. So I dunno what to do once he mounts an offense other than get a tiny bit of room to EX roll.

The problem I have with the F-action in response to simple things like Mitsuru's 5A is that a single 5A is quick enough to recover that you can't seem to truly counter it. Tried it yesterday and it landed probably once, the rest I would catch the poke but the actual counter wouldn't come out quick enough and I just got death'd. Maybe I'm using the wrong one?
  • stickystainesstickystaines Joined: Posts: 835
    If you use the normal one, aka not the bullet one, it's supposed to put them in a special hitstop so they cant block it, according to xie. I guess if you do it too late it doesn't matter much. If you counter i see no reason not press a button just in case you do counter a hit.
  • Id_PigId_Pig Joined: Posts: 3
    Naoto is really hard character. Even though the SMP combo has found, most of people started to know how to treat Da traps and gun shots...

It makes me sad x(
    Someone was telling me yesterday about how Naoto is C tier. I thought he was crazy.

That said, she is still kind of tricky to use and to be honest, I like that about her. Her trap are nice, her gun is nice, and the Loop is good too. She very much seems to be out thinking your opponent.

• TXscrubTXscrub Joined: Posts: 4
    Anyone here versed in her combos know if there's some trick to getting the A double fang to connect in the loop set-ups or throw combos? I've been trying to grind some of them out in training mode for a few days now and haven't had both hits land without the hit counter turn yellow yet. At all. Seems like every single time it either whiffs or they recover right as it hits. It's the only thing that's been giving me problems.
    The two I've been working on are throw, 236236D, 214C, 214D, 236A, B, D cancel, 2[C], 2B, 5C, 236B
    and
    throw, 5B, 5C, 236B, D cancel, 5C, 2A.
  • CelerityCelerity Professional Necrodancer Joined: Posts: 798
    Anyone here versed in her combos know if there's some trick to getting the A double fang to connect in the loop set-ups or throw combos? I've been trying to grind some of them out in training mode for a few days now and haven't had both hits land without the hit counter turn yellow yet. At all. Seems like every single time it either whiffs or they recover right as it hits. It's the only thing that's been giving me problems.
    The two I've been working on are throw, 236236D, 214C, 214D, 236A, B, D cancel, 2[C], 2B, 5C, 236B
    and

It's hard to explain in words. Use the same delay timing between 214C/214D/236A every time you do the combo, and adjust the timing of 214C from there based on your needs, because 214C has a massive input window. The timing isn't that important as long as it works for you consistently. I got it in a few tries using this method, and here's what worked for me:

-Sticky tape them with 236236D
    -214C at about the earliest opportunity
    -214D at the start of the blue flash from Sukuna-Hikona disappearing
    -236A with the exact same delay timing you just used between 214C/214D
    -If you failed, do the exact same thing again with different timing on 214C until you get it.

Not familiar with combo #2, which part of that is giving you problems?
    (P4AU) Marie :::: (UNIEL) Vatista :::: (BB) Izayoi/Rachel :::: (USF4) Juri
    I sort of do this combo too, but differently: Corner Throw -> C Follow up, 5C, 236B, D cancel, 5C, 236A, BBBBBB

The part I have trouble with is connecting the second 5C before 236A at the right height. If it's too low, they'll jump out before the 5C hits. If it's too hit, the 236A won't hit at all (except for like a mix up... which might have it's values)

Someone was telling me yesterday about how Naoto is C tier. I thought he was crazy.

That said, she is still kind of tricky to use and to be honest, I like that about her. Her trap are nice, her gun is nice, and the Loop is good too. She very much seems to be out thinking your opponent.
    Her normals suck and you know it, that's what it comes to at the end of the day. If your character doesn't have super quick start up, long reach, and/or +4645645645649846153 frames on block then your character is ass.

/jokejoke
    Updated the OP:
    1. Added spoiler tags around the combo section so it's a lot less unwieldy looking
    2. Added a video section, which currently only contains Denpa's set with Yu-sama.
    In related news the Yu matchup still seems awful.
    Started working on more powerful midscreen -> corner and corner combos off EX stance since I seem to hit that a lot. Nailing 60% from either of that is nice considering things like trying to get a fatal counter seem really tough to get the easy damage. I know 1 SMP starter still and will probably stay that way until I get the previously mentioned things under control and get my overall gameplay up. I don't want to rely on SMP at the moment, only use it to be more dangerous when I get to that level.

Speaking of which, I keep trying to do B double fang as an early anti-air and throw it in where it seems that they are trying to stagger their strings (for a tick throw/whatever). It seems to work sometimes but gets stuff other times, is there any invincibility on this move on startup or are you airborn during the startup.. which would defeat the tick throws but get stuffed to certain jump ins (which is more what I'm seeing).

Oh, if you aren't doing it, something akin to AA, B, [2]C, C work really really well as nice frame trap. 2C has a fuckton of priority at the right ranges and catches counter hits for dayyyyys from people who are pressing buttons. Obviously this isn't a perfect string, so frame trap isn't the "correct" term for it, but you're still baiting late button presses and getting counter hit combos from it.

One little trick I like now is this instead of just going for oki: Something like AA, B, C, 2AB, A double fang, B shots, D cancel (working on QCB A for faster response but it's hard to time), jump into air throw. The reason I like this is because they're higher than you when they tech and it's harder to see you jumping for the air grab. It's also relatively safe if they tech backward. Obviously doesn't always work and is pretty "duh, why wouldn't you do that?", but it's a nice little test to see if your opponent is paying attention. IIRC you can pick up a low air throw off j.A (I think Narcowski pointed that out, no?).
  • QuailQuail Joined: Posts: 16
    I'm having trouble connecting the sweep in the first SMP combo, have only been able to do it once. Any tips?
    I'm having trouble connecting the sweep in the first SMP combo, have only been able to do it once. Any tips?

Practice more, no offense. It's not a very tight link, and if this helps, the hitbox on Naoto's 2AB is more than double the width of her legs. Just do it any time before they hit the ground and you're good.
    Added a couple more videos to the OP.

Phreakazoid: This is really late, but yes, you can falling j.:snka: after a low airthrow for an easy pickup into pretty much whatever combo.
    What are you using to time the :qcb:+:snkd:? If you're using the IAD method I listed in the OP, you just do :qcb:+:snkd: on landing and immediately :d::snka:+:snkb: with no delay after the :qcb:+:snkd:, buffering :qcf:+:snka: into the sweep. If you airdash slightly later instead of IADing, or delay too long after inputting :qcb:+:snkd:, the sweep will whiff.
    oh, I didn't see that you added an IAD to the combo. That's...strange?

Just do the combo without that IAD, you can lay D trap whenever and the margin of error on the sweep is huge. In most cases you even have time to just walk before placing the trap instead of dashing.
    You can do pretty much whatever; the IAD is for timing much like the backdash between 236A~D and 2[C]. Learn it however works for you, pretty much, but using the dashes makes the timing easier to pick up.
    Alright it must be because I'm doing a regular AD instead of an IAD, that's pretty much what I have to practice most anyway. (really need a stick already, fightpad isn't cutting it)

Thanks for the help.
    Alright it must be because I'm doing a regular AD instead of an IAD, that's pretty much what I have to practice most anyway. (really need a stick already, fightpad isn't cutting it)

Thanks for the help.

That's why I said you should just do it with regular walking/running instead of the IAD. In the end, adding timing tricks (like that IAD) just makes the combo more difficult to execute in a real match setting since it contains more moving parts. As for IAD on pad though, it's definitely possible, I do it, but it requires a little more practice than on stick. You may want to find something with a more distinct D-Pad like the PS3 controller.
    I think IAD is probably easier to learn on pad than stick (though I only ever played on PS2 pad when I was a pad player), and feel like it's easier to execute SMP loops with timing tricks than worry about manually timing anything. To each his own. Haha.
    I've been using the SFxT pad since it was released, and have had pretty good results with it (I'm by no means good at fighting games, probably just above average). But if there's one thing I know I can do better on stick it's dashes, after using friends' sticks for a little bit.

I'll keep practicing that part though, both with the IAD and without it.
    Fun tip if you don't know yet: Stay near your trap most of the time. Yes it's good to be mobile but remember that playing near your trap(s) limits your opponent's approach and be sure to react accordingly to how they disarm it. Remember what I said earlier in this thread that a good Naoto should always have an appropriate answer to their opponent making their approach easy. Are they 2Aing your traps? 2C them. Jumping over them? j.A or airgrab them. etc.

Just thought I should make this clear again since after being on a P4A hiatus, I decided to play online again and played like three Naotos who just let me walk all over them. :(
    What other characters are yall using if any? Try to pick up other charactes but none of seem to click to me like Naoto did.. been thinking Aigis or Mitsuri
    Aigis and Elizabeth. Feels good to play characters with decent normals.
    Any Naoto players on XBL wanna show me a couple things.. im pretty profecient ain moving around and waiting for openings.. hell even rushing down..

love getting people in the corner with 236b 236b jb jc jb jc 236236a and just continuing the onslaught until they escape lol

wouldnt mind learning more damaging naoto combos so yeah... MrOuijaII on XBL just add me and send me a message wqith like SRK or something
    Shit, I really need to stop jumping and laying traps too much. It's bad habit I've developed since the opponent can simply jump or airdash in and get an easy air grab or combo. Gotta learn how to recognize safe "moments" to lay traps and to mix up how I lay them.

And yes this is something you should take note of.

New footage of Denpa, our savior.
  • RikirRikir Servbot Joined: Posts: 1,047
    Naoto video covering 5D by yours truly:

And... Naololto video that Blargh found:

PSN: Al_Rikir
    UMvC3: Tron/Dante/Arthur
    GGXRD: Bedman/Elphelt
    BBCPEX: Relius/Noel
    VSav: Q-Bee
    UNIEL: Chaos/Seth
    KOF2002UM: Whip/Mature/Foxy

Poverty forever more.
  • ErikaErikaErikaErika Joined: Posts: 3
    Not sure if I'll be able to get a response since this subforum seems to be dead, but is all the stuff in the OP still a pretty solid guide? They haven't patched out SMP or anything? The game is finally out in Europe and Naoto is the character I'm liking the most.
  • UncleGaryUncleGary Joined: Posts: 185
    ErikaErika wrote: »
    Not sure if I'll be able to get a response since this subforum seems to be dead, but is all the stuff in the OP still a pretty solid guide? They haven't patched out SMP or anything? The game is finally out in Europe and
    Naoto is the character I'm liking the most.

Kind of, the very basic statements about how she operates are still true, and the loop has not been patched, its actually been improved quits a bit with omb and burst safe starters. As a character she's probably evolved more than anyone else in the game, a lot of the things you have to do with her are not readily apparent, and optimizing with her involves a lot of experience and being able to see where the match will end up rather than where it is at any given point. For combos, dustloop is much more up to date with that. The best thing you can do is watch japanese vids. There are definitely talented US naotos, but they're not as visible. That, and a lot of training mode.

Send me a pm if you have questions about the character, I always have fun talking naoto.

• ErikaErikaErikaErika Joined: Posts: 3
    Yeah I figured out the SMP loop in training mode shortly after I made that post. I can do it pretty reliably in training mode but I drop it a lot when I'm actually playing. I'm having more problem with the midscreen combos to be honest though. I've been watching a lot of the videos on this channel:

Naoto seems to be the least used character but sometimes one will appear and I don't think my execution is good enough to do the midscreen combos with the instant airdashes that they're doing. I can do a lot of damage in the corner but midscreen I find myself only doing super basic combos like 5AA > 5C > 236B~Cx5. Another problem I have is that I sometimes get too focused on the fate meter. How much of a priority should it be? It's just kind of silly because I sometimes get fixated on reducing it to 0, but by the time I've managed it, they're already close to death.

To be honest I actually haven't went online with Naoto yet though, I'm not all that confident about winning. I've been spending most of my time in training mode to practice combos, and versus mode to try and get familiar with playing against each character.