English vs Japanese voices (Explain why)

Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister...Joined: Posts: 7,199
I'm just curious, because I go for English 99% of the time if given the choice for very obvious reasons but it seems some people seriously hate hearing the characters speak English.

Boston Labrys demands you answer the poll.

Comments

• gigabytegigabyte Joined: Posts: 631
    I play with Jap voice, but ultimately it comes down to personal preference
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,199
    I play with Jap voice, but ultimately it comes down to personal preference

And I'm asking why you would purposefully choose NOT to understand anything.
  • gigabytegigabyte Joined: Posts: 631
    no real answer to why.. its just preferences.. its like asking why someone would prefer red over blue..
  • SUPARNOVAXSUPARNOVAX 必殺技 Joined: Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Japanese, but some of the English VA's aren't too bad either. Just my preference.
    "Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as reality. To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary, and its punishment is but an urge for me to greater effort to achieve my goal. Defeat simply tells me that something is wrong in my doing; it is a path leading to success and truth." ~ Bruce Lee
  • Will_DieselWill_Diesel Noble Savage of the inner city's darkest quarters. Joined: Posts: 1,186
    Strictly Japanese for this game and it's not even close.
    Liberalism is a mental disease.
  • zUkUuzUkUu Theory Pro Joined: Posts: 4,396
    And I'm asking why you would purposefully choose NOT to understand anything.
    I'm asking you why you would purposefully choose to NOT have the more quality voice acting.
    我道
    I'm asking you why you would purposefully choose to NOT have the more quality voice acting.

It's really hard to appreciate what is essentially gibberish to me.
  • bluASTERiSKbluASTERiSK ブルアストリスク Joined: Posts: 609
    When I pick the Japanese voices over the English in a game it's because that's the original voice that the makers intended to portray the character with. If there was a Japanese voice option in Resident Evil 5 I would probably pick English.
  • bluASTERiSKbluASTERiSK ブルアストリスク Joined: Posts: 609
    It's really hard to appreciate what is essentially gibberish to me.
    I'm sorry that Japanese is a spoken Language.
  • MrRobotoMrRoboto Joined: Posts: 401
    The game is made in Japan. The game is made by Japanese people. So I pick Japanese voices.
  • DaidalusDaidalus Joined: Posts: 471
    japanese, i hate any type of dubing
  • SMWongSMWong I suck at games now. Joined: Posts: 82
    Personal preference. I listened to both and if you like to hear them shout stuff during the match that you can understand, go for it. I personally think that the voices sound more suited for the character then the English VA. Plus Teddie sounds awesome in Japanese.
    Blazblue: Taokaka(Purple/black)
    Xbox/PSN: BlackForestMist

Not by most Americans, this site is American hence it's gibberish to me.
  • NickRocksNickRocks DeathPlay Joined: Posts: 22,745
    JAPANESE CAUSE IM A F***KING WEEABOO

COME AT ME OP >:(
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • Ben PerkinsBen Perkins Joined: Posts: 6,758

You fucking scrub, I have all MY games speak in Swahili. You've probably never heard of it 8-)
    You fucking scrub, I have all MY games speak in Swahili. You've probably never heard of it 8-)
    death to hipster scum!
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
  • worldjem7worldjem7 Seven World Jems Joined: Posts: 544
    more quality voice acting.
    I pick the Japanese voices because that's the original voice that the makers intended to portray the character with.

Pretty much these.

For Skullgirls, if there was another voice option, I'd still keep it in English, because that's the original language the game was done in.

Dubs are always terrible because the nuances of the original language are lost in translation and then it just sounds weird and bad, or the proper meaning isn't conveyed properly.
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,704

when you can't understand what someone is saying, it's hard to tell how 'quality' the voice acting is.

so if you set it to a language you don't know, it can sometimes be less annoying.
    Play more.
  • DaidalusDaidalus Joined: Posts: 471
    Kobaïan is the way to go scrub :coffee:
  • akuaku スピリチュアルやからね! Joined: Posts: 3,865
    It just sounds cooler to some people. Sure, you can't understand what they're saying unless you can speak the language obviously, but a lot of people appreciate that extra "oomph" put into the Japanese voices that they can't find in English. For a lot of dubs, they'll usually just "read the script, and add expression if needed". Doesn't sound or feel the same.

That said, for me personally, a lot of shit these characters say are so cheesy that I'd rather hear them say it in Japanese. Softens the blow for me.

Conversely, a lot of Japanese people think that English is like the coolest language on Earth, but a lot of those same guys can't understand it. They just love how it sounds.
    when you can't understand what someone is saying, it's hard to tell how 'quality' the voice acting is.

so if you set it to a language you don't know, it can sometimes be less annoying.

actually not. I can show you a VERY (like right from hell) german dub for metal gear solid 1 - you ears will cringe.
    you can very much appreciate quality voice acting without understanding the meaning. intonation, feeling, expression etc are all meaning independent.
    I mean, you can listen to french, japanese or hawaiian songs and appreciate them without having a clue what they are about.
    我道
  • lawlHTlawlHT youtube player Joined: Posts: 535
    Pretty much these.

For Skullgirls, if there was another voice option, I'd still keep it in English, because that's the original language the game was done in.

Dubs are always terrible because the nuances of the original language are lost in translation and then it just sounds weird and bad, or the proper meaning isn't conveyed properly.

this is generally more an issue of having a terrible localization team than any weakness in english dubs.

Some nuances aren't going to make the jump over because there's really no such thing as a perfect translation from one language to another. you have to account for words having multiple meanings (usually in the form of puns in the original language that don't make any sense in another) as well as common idioms and vernacular.

this is why the best english dubs are localizations rather than literal translations. the literal translations make very little sense in english, while a localization does its best to adjust the content to fit both the original idea as well as making sense to the English-speaking audience.
    PSN: lawlHT
    UMVC3: Frauderbrand/Super Skrub/Trollmaster -currently learning: Dante, Dormammu-
    P4 Arena: Mitsuru, Labrys - Skullgirls: Filia - SSF4:AE2012: Sakura

私はあなたに来ている。
    私はあなたに来ている。
    あなたはトイレの西洋人のようなにおい
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    actually not. I can show you a VERY (like right from hell) german dub for metal gear solid 1 - you ears will cringe.
    you can very much appreciate quality voice acting without understanding the meaning. intonation, feeling, expression etc are all meaning independent.
    I mean, you can listen to french, japanese or hawaiian songs and appreciate them without having a clue what they are about.

maybe you didn't see the 'sometimes'.
    down boy.

and as aku said (hey buddy) the lines in english are sometimes too much (more the problem). yes they're saying similar things in japanese but it sounds less forced i guess. for instance shin shoryuken is always awesome. but if i had to hear ryu say TRUE RISING DRAGON PUNCH i dunno.
    Play more.
    maybe you didn't see the 'sometimes'.
    down boy.

and as aku said (hey buddy) the lines in english are sometimes too much (more the problem). yes they're saying similar things in japanese but it sounds less forced i guess. for instance shin shoryuken is always awesome. but if i had to hear ryu say TRUE RISING DRAGON PUNCH i dunno.
    I actually meant the "can't understand = can't tell if voice acting is good/bad"-part^^

I totally agree on the second part.
    我道
    あなたはトイレの西洋人のようなにおい

あなたが志望ファック。
  • HavatchuHavatchu Joined: Posts: 4,734

Because you speak Japanese and can tell if they are good voice actors right? :rofl:

I just keep whatever is the standard normally. If they had subtitles everytime the characters spoke I would pick Japanese just so I could learn a few random phrases.
    Insanity is freedom
    The moment I fell in love with specs- "I believe in the Beyblader philosophy, for I am one who Beyblades."
    Shaft's posts are canon.
  • DeetsDeets Joined: Posts: 15
    私はあなたに来ている。
    wwwwwwwwwwwwww

Has Takuma taught you nothing?
  • girlystylegirlystyle Only plays Fugazi Joined: Posts: 1,804
    japanese it helps maintain my suspension of disbelief as i touch myself
    people only pay attention to me because of my vagina awesome penis
    Because you speak Japanese and can tell if they are good voice actors right? :rofl:
    in fact I do understand a bit japanese, but that is totally unimportant. you can say if a voice acting is good even without understanding the meaning.
    again, intonation, expression, pitches etc are not bound to understand.

just take a look at 99.99999999999% of any dubbed anime. it's terrible in comparison.
    我道
    wwwwwwwwwwwwww

Has Taukma taught you nothing?

I guess not?
  • ghostiesghosties spooked ya Joined: Posts: 356
    I would change mine to Japanese, but Kanji's voice actor has convinced me to stick with English.
  • NarcowskiNarcowski Joined: Posts: 841
    If not for the P3 characters, Teddie, and especially Labrys, I would have it on English.
  • CrimsonMoonMistCrimsonMoonMist Joined: Posts: 485
    Japanese because that's how it originally was so it just feels more authentic to me.
    ya dude jpn labrys all day in my ears.
    Play more.
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,239
    Everything stays in original language except some old kung fu movies.

Shogun's Assassin intro is too dope.
    You did not go back in time, this is how the forums look.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • karanjikaranji Joined: Posts: 37
    Not by most Americans, this site is American hence it's gibberish to me.

Congratulations for the most ignorant comment of the day.
    -karanji
  • HepatitisQHepatitisQ I farted Joined: Posts: 20
    I use to always be for the Japanese voices in Japanese games, but I just like the nostalgia of hearing some of the characters. SOME OF THEM. Labrys, you're gonna take a while to get use to toots.
  • Wolfgang457Wolfgang457 Shall We Dance? Joined: Posts: 116
    English because I like understanding what people are saying. That and it's mostly the voices I grew used to while playing Persona 4, Troy Baker = Kanji to me.