English vs Japanese voices (Explain why)

Comments

• evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 4,275
    i tend to have everything in english as id rather be able to understand what they are saying. plus certain characters sound a LOT better in english. you can actually tell that morrigan is scottish and that cammy is english for example which is totally lost in the japanese voices
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
  • AshilynAshilyn One Hojillion! Joined: Posts: 20
    I only switch to Japanese if the dubbing is shit. It's not in this game so I keep it in English.

Pretty much this. The Persona 3 and 4 dubs were always high quality, and the only low points in Arena are Teddie's new voice (just plain bad), Johnny Yong Bosch as Yu (Which isn't even bad, actually. I know that he did the MC's foley in Person 4, I'd just rather they not have cast him in that role since he was already Adachi) and Fuuka's new voice (another character I love taken over by Wendee Lee, and poorly at that? Ugh.), so I feel no real need to put things in Japanese.

Yes, that means I like Boston Labrys. It's a nice change of pace from Kansai accents always being dubbed as southern accents, and I feel like it really helps her stand out (in a good way, even if the accent is somewhat out of place - not that a southern one wouldn't have been either). And honestly, a lot of the JP cast annoys the shit out of me. I can't STAND Teddie's JP voice, Chie's is an assault on the ears on par with GGXX Jam, and people can rant about how awesome Rie Kugimiya is compared to Laura Bailey all they want but half the time I hear her Rise - particularly as a navigator in Arena - I wanna shut my ears off.
    Yeah, KOF XII had English. So when they left it in KOF XIII I wondered why they did that.

Because the english voices in KoF games - XII included - are almost universally AWFUL. XII was pretty bad, and the english voices in the Maximum Impact games were horrific. That's a series I won't mind if they just stop trying to dub.
    I will say one thing, Cromartie High is an anime I love watching dubbed.

Cromartie dubbed is seriously one of the most amazing things ever. And not because it's bad, it's PERFECT. They actually made the japanese humour work without changing it 95% of the time, and it just wasn't nearly as funny in Japanese.
  • CorreaCorrea HYPER CATINEL FORCE Joined: Posts: 177
    Rise is the one character I can't stand either way. I don't know how, but they managed to make her unbearable in every language.

Pretty much every other character has at least one decent voice between English and Japanese. I usually play in English because I'm maining Mitsuru and I love her English VA (and it reminds me of playing P3).
    PSN: tcorrea
    P4A: Mitsuru
    UMVC3: Doom / Storm / Sentinel
  • rayplayrayplay aka solidoutlaw Joined: Posts: 2,810
    i tend to have everything in english as id rather be able to understand what they are saying. plus certain characters sound a LOT better in english. you can actually tell that morrigan is scottish and that cammy is english for example which is totally lost in the japanese voices
    Don't forget that Cammy in Japanese says
    CAN OF SPRITE and SPYRO ARRWO!
    PSN: rayplay
    Best widowmaker in North Korea.
    "He's gonna switch to wireless mid greed sever."
  • DeltaKyakuDeltaKyaku terribad Joined: Posts: 704
    That's actually a voice direction issue.

Same VA. Possibly because the English dub is there anyways, the SFIV games have the English dialogue on the Japanese track done with an intentionally Japanese accent.

That said Sawashiro has voiced some pretty horrific Engrish in anime, but her accent isn't that bad.
  • IchipooIchipoo Not in front of the mirror, it's embarrassing <3 Joined: Posts: 2,532
    English voices are fine, but pick which voice you prefer without anybody affecting your judgement, gg.

/thread
    *insert generic shiny, glowy, and heavily photoshopped animu sig here*
    https://twitter.com/lchipoo
  • BakuhakubasugasuBakuhakubasugasu Eating dreams since '96. Joined: Posts: 3,329
    Jap voices/English subs. I can understand Japanese speech, I can't read it.
    PSN: Bakuhakubasugasu
    I play all fighting games.
    Youtube<<Combos/Tutorials | TwitchTv<<Stream
    Support our new clothing company, Meaty Mob! http://meatymob.com
  • SCORPYN702SCORPYN702 Joined: Posts: 19
    The English VA's aren't bad its just the lines they were given are awful. Also the anime made it so that I can only think of there Japanese voices when I see the characters.
    Don't Question Guy's Mixup's. They've Done Studies You Know. 60% Of The Time They Work Every Time.
  • Noble CactusNoble Cactus 56k Days Joined: Posts: 8,476
    Every game should have an option for Esperanto dubbing.
  • rcorporonrcorporon Joined: Posts: 533
    If a game allows it I usually put the voices of each character to the language that makes the most sense for them to speak.

I understand English and Japanese so in the end it really doesn't matter too much to me but if a character has a terrible VA I'll switch it out for sure despite the nationality of said character.
    PSN: Yewni
    SFIV: Cody / Fei Long
    P4A: Kanji
  • LKXLKX Joined: Posts: 58
    I know that in Tekken 6 Leo was not speaking german, hence my statement, but I just checked TTT2 Leo she said "Überlass das mir Partner" in my face, so you're right. That's pretty awesome! I always loved that about Tekken and now they perfected it! good job namco!

Tho, Lei and Zafina speak english and I dunno why. For Law it makes sense since he lives in america, but isn't Lei a chinese policemen? Lars also speaks japanese instead of swedish. Well anyway - it's still awesome.

Hong Kong was part of British colony for a long time and English was mandatory there during that period. If you watched any of the older Hong Kong cop shows/movies, you'll see that most higher rank officers were often English men from Great Britain. Lei probably know both languages as a requirement for being a detective.

Lei can obviously speak cantonese/mandarin if he wants to, but since Tekken is an international fighting tournament with a lot of people speaking English, I guess Lei just opted for English, since it is sort of the global language these days. Namco is da best in trying to correctly represent their characters' voices.
  • Smoothjazz101Smoothjazz101 Joined: Posts: 1,480
    Hahaha ok
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 4,275
    Hahaha ok

if you cant hear the scottish accent then sorry you need your ears tested.
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
  • MousefireMousefire Joined: Posts: 72
    I picked Japanese, since I played the undub of both games first. That, and I absolutely love Elizabeth's Japanese voice.
    SFxT: JinXLei/Marduk
  • zUkUuzUkUu Theory Pro Joined: Posts: 4,396
    I picked Japanese, since I played the undub of both games first. That, and I absolutely love Elizabeth's Japanese voice.
    ditto for me.
    I <3 undubs. best community thing ever invented (next to emulators of course).
    but hopefully they are a thing of the past and companies just include both audio tracks on the disk by default. seeing it this far, it's most of the time the case (if you're not named sqishy-iiiiihhhnix), since the blueray holds so much disk space. atlus themselves did a fine job here - hope Persona 5 will follow that route as well.
    我道
    The thing is, licensing expansive JP voice tracks is expensive (and yes, they do have to license them) is expensive and has prevented other games (including P4G and Growlanser IV) from having JP voice tracks. Atlus doesn't make piles of money, most games having dual audio is still unlikely. Persona 4 Arena gets away with it because it's not a huge, expansive RPG in terms of voiced dialogue.
  • DensuoDensuo Winning by Timeout (⌐■_■) Joined: Posts: 6,759
    I go with what fits the character. Same with Anime.

I'm fine with most p4a English va and don't really care to switch.
    Take mvc3 or sf4 i thought ryu and chun didn't fit. So i switched to Japanese.

Roles and playing to them factors in too.

Bit off topic but i think still relevant:

I've noticed people who listen to an Anime dub first or jp first prefer that.

I watched Trigun and Cowboy Bebop and Lodoss War in English and prefer it likewise saw Hajime no Ippo in Japanese and felt the Japanese va fit the characters far better.

I put p4a in English first. Didn't think the voices were horrible didn't care to change them. Might do so later. If it allows setting individual voices., I will.
    I know that in Tekken 6 Leo was not speaking german, hence my statement, but I just checked TTT2 Leo she said "Überlass das mir Partner" in my face, so you're right. That's pretty awesome! I always loved that about Tekken and now they perfected it! good job namco!

Tho, Lei and Zafina speak english and I dunno why. For Law it makes sense since he lives in america, but isn't Lei a chinese policemen? Lars also speaks japanese instead of swedish. Well anyway - it's still awesome.

Iirc Lei Wulong is from Hong Kong. When i visited Hong Kong while i was in the service i found that many spoke English. Him being a supercop its a good chance he's legitimately fluent in multiple languages?
    Won El Fuerte's first and only Major, at Winter Brawl 7
    " -______- I still think Densuo is best Fuerte in America" - x MannyFuerte x 三( ° Д°)-@ Charging star!!
    "You're right mang, Ken players need to start doing more 360 grabs." Shinroken
    "Sometimes I get random demon flips and Air Hados because I'm tatsu-ing so hard!" GomuGomu
    The thing is, licensing expansive JP voice tracks is expensive (and yes, they do have to license them) is expensive and has prevented other games (including P4G and Growlanser IV) from having JP voice tracks. Atlus doesn't make piles of money, most games having dual audio is still unlikely. Persona 4 Arena gets away with it because it's not a huge, expansive RPG in terms of voiced dialogue.
    Persona games don't have dual audio because Index are crazy reverse import paranoid bastards. They only managed to talk them into doing dual audio P4A (which was sort of in by default given the developer and standard for a genre that didn't even get English voices until recently) with that stupid region locking.

They're localized by the US subsidiary anyways.
    Persona games don't have dual audio because Index are crazy reverse import paranoid bastards. They only managed to talk them into doing dual audio P4A (which was sort of in by default given the developer and standard for a genre that didn't even get English voices until recently) with that stupid region locking.

sadly it seems no company considers to release 2 versions: dubbed an non-dubbed with subs. the only official newer game that I know of that does it is the FF 13-2 Asia Edition which features jap text with english texts. that way they don't have to fear reverse import (which is not a factor for the main series anyways because the main series gets such a SERIOUS headstart in japan that it wouldn't be beneficial to import anyway; also the text would be all in english, so it's useless for about 95% of all japanese people), and every customer will be happen.

I don't see dual audio that much of a problem. even fan made undub projects get it nailed down rather quickly. if you develop with that in mind it becomes as mundane as switching a flip.
    我道

Yeah, that's just... wrong. Reverse importing hasn't been in an issue - a major one at least - until recent years and consoles that allowed for easier importing due to variable or nonexistent region locking, particularly considering the large time different in releases between Japan and America, particularly for the Persona games. No, there's many more reasons why udal audio isn't common. Space is a big one (also more feasible with a fighting game), and cost is the other. NOT reverse importing.
    sadly it seems no company considers to release 2 versions: dubbed an non-dubbed with subs. the only official newer game that I know of that does it is the FF 13-2 Asia Edition which features jap text with english texts. that way they don't have to fear reverse import (which is not a factor for the main series anyways because the main series gets such a SERIOUS headstart in japan that it wouldn't be beneficial to import anyway; also the text would be all in english, so it's useless for about 95% of all japanese people), and every customer will be happen.

I don't see dual audio that much of a problem. even fan made undub projects get it nailed down rather quickly. if you develop with that in mind it becomes as mundane as switching a flip.

There will never be a company that does two versions for the simple fact of there's no good reason to. "But what about all these people who want the Japanese voice acting?!". Here's a fact - in terms of the wider gaming community, yes, even in RPGs, the people who want undubs and japanese audio are in a somewhat vocal minority. Most gamers are perfectly content with English dubbing and having games in a language they can more readily understand. Creating a separate version of the game JUST for undub customers would be like throwing money out a window - there's absolutely no reason, cost or demand wise, for a company to consider doing it.

Fan made undub projects take time, effort, and a lot of file replacing and minor programing. It's not as easy as flipping a switch for them, and it isn't for a company, again, considering costs and demand.
  • 2Chep2Chep Joined: Posts: 196
    I would change mine to Japanese, but Kanji's voice actor has convinced me to stick with English.

Power of the Nova Force!
    Space hasn't really been relevant in years and cost is a non-issue if you're publishing in both regions. They aren't even releasing the Japanese voice track for the TV series in North America, Index is legitimately that worried about it.

I kind of overlooked the fact Catherine isn't technically a Persona game, but whatever.
  • LKXLKX Joined: Posts: 58
    Not fighting game but if anyone played PS2 survival horror game "Siren", then you would all understand how inappropriate British accent dubs on the all Japanese cast. Atrocious, simply cringe worthy.
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,639
    Japanese, the English voice acting is way too exaggerated/obnoxious/cheesed. At least it's somewhat bearable with listening to Japanese voice overs.
  • FerrellJFerrellJ Joined: Posts: 29
    Personally, I prefer the Japanese voices; at least in ArcSys games- if I've got to hear "MY ARMOR!" twenty times every round, I'd rather it be just some phrase I'm not familiar with instead. Arc has a tendency of making the characters talk a lot more than they need to when they do literally anything. Did the character block a hit? They need to say something. Did they just jump? Must say words! Did the opponent just jump over you making you turn around? Yeah, they should probably make them say something there too...

I never need to know what the characters are saying in these instances so not understanding the words isn't a double-edged sword. Games like Street Fighter are much more bearable- I think the split I have set on that game is about 50/50 because the characters don't vocalize full words for every action.

Then there's also the issue of quality- I frankly have no idea if the Japanese voice actors are doing a poor job so it doesn't matter. If there is a poorly delivered line on the English side that I need to listen to repeatedly, it will bother me to no end though. Labrys is a perfect example- it sounds like they had five different people from all different parts of the country do voice work for her... and people seem to love her English voice for some reason.
  • LammeLamme Joined: Posts: 109
    I'm an ex-anime fan. Two things really turned me off from the stuff after a while:

1) The realization that most of it is trash.
    2) People like you who don't have the first clue what they're talking about.

Yo, Hitler. Stop taunting people like that, I'm just expressing my feelings and own thoughts, not attacking you or people who happen to like dubs. Get over yourself. \o/
    Steam: Lamme PSN: Lammez- Live: Lammaz
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/realLamme
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yo, Hitler. Stop taunting people like that, I'm just expressing my feelings and own thoughts, not attacking you or people who happen to like dubs. Get over yourself. \o/

:rofl:

Holy fuck. A Hitler comparison? For responding to a post?

Hey jackass, just as you're allowed to express your own wildly uneducated opinions about dubs and subs, I'm allowed to say you don't have a clue, on account of you not having a clue. It doesn't make me Hitler, you stupid fuck.

Some people's children, seriously.
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
  • SesshaZLSesshaZL 春麗 豪鬼 Joined: Posts: 1,028
    I tend to like the characters to speak the language they actually speak. Sadly, this isn't usually an option - for SSFIV, for example, it usually results in 'Western' characters speaking English and 'Eastern' ones speaking Japanese.

Ideally, though, El Fuerte would speak Spanish, Ken English, Juri Korean, Honda Japanese, etc...

Sometimes, though (Soul Calibur V) the English acting, or script, is so awful I switch it to Japanese. Ignorance can be bliss..
    3s chun li actually has some of her lines in chinese. I think the twins do as well. Also according to apcom canon ken is 3/4japanese and and he spent a decade training here so he of course is gonna speak nihongo
    50/50 post Hyoukusen mixup is dirty!!
    Way more dangerous than outsiders perspective, "low forward super, yawn, I play better games" - WTF-AKUMA-HAX
    :rofl:

Holy fuck. A Hitler comparison? For responding to a post?

Hey jackass, just as you're allowed to express your own wildly uneducated opinions about dubs and subs, I'm allowed to say you don't have a clue, on account of you not having a clue. It doesn't make me Hitler, you stupid fuck.

Some people's children, seriously.

Sorry I didn't know you have to be educated in order to have an opinion. Also, maybe it doesn't make you Hitler, but it certainly makes you an ignorant being if you're not able to withstand other peoples thoughts and opinions.
  • GraymalkinGraymalkin Staggeringly tedious Joined: Posts: 660
    Also according to [C]apcom canon Ken is 3/4 Japanese...

Wow, I never knew that!

I always assumed Ken spoke Japanese, but he always seems an obvious choice for the 'English' setting to me. But then what do I know? :)
    USFIV - Rose | UraGraymalkin | Mitsurugi - SCV
    "So I broke into the palace, with a sponge and a rusty spanner..."
    Sorry I didn't know you have to be educated in order to have an opinion. Also, maybe it doesn't make you Hitler, but it certainly makes you an ignorant being if you're not able to withstand other peoples thoughts and opinions.

You're an idiot. I'll get into why later, don't worry.
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,082
    I love you specs
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • rayplayrayplay aka solidoutlaw Joined: Posts: 2,810
    This game lacks someone voiced by Steve Blum.
    PSN: rayplay
    Best widowmaker in North Korea.
    "He's gonna switch to wireless mid greed sever."
    Said it before, saying it again: language should be an option on character select. I think it's totally fair that if you, say, like Japanese Yukiko and I like English Yukiko, we should both get to hear that in the same match.

Okay, so here's why you're an idiot:

Mostly using Japanese whenever it's possible, I hate dubbing just like many other people seem to do as well. Dubs never sound right.
    Still, games are pretty much the only place where you can change the language and actually enjoy it to some degree, unlike anime or other shows where dubbing is pure self-torture.

Right here. This whole post. The excruciating breakdown:
    • "I hate dubbing just like many other people seem to do as well." Sweeping generalization about what people like. There are dubs for a reason: they're requested, and wanted, and usually quite professional, despite the deluded ramblings of sub-only elitists (which does NOT include people who just prefer subs; there's nothing wrong with that).
    • "Dubs never sound right." Actually, your qualifications to judge how "right" a dub sounds is probably somewhere in between minuscule and fuck all nothing. I say this because professional dubs are done by these people called, brace yourself, professional voice actors (who research their characters) and professional voice directors (who know what sounds right). They are infinitely more qualified to measure what sounds "right" than your dumb ass. And yeah, that sometimes means sounding different, like when a 17-year old Japanese girl sounds 5 in an anime, and the dub actually gets a grown-ass woman to do her voice because 17-year old girls, even Japanese ones, are grown ass women. That's actually, get this, *a better choice.*
    • "Games are pretty much the only" you know what, fuck it, I'm pretty sure bullet point #2 nailed it.
    And that's why you're an idiot, as are backwards ass imbeciles that share your "all dubs are horrible and everyone hates them" mindset, which unfortunately comprised a rather large number of anime fans I tried to associate with back when I actually thought the stuff wasn't garbage. Which, believe it or not, does actually factor into my decision to stop watching the crap wholesale, though not as much as anime being mostly putrid storytelling loved far more for its style than substance.

So when you take what I said and compare it to Hitler, that's just driving the point home, selling it wholesale, etc.

Is this clicking, yet? Or should I draw you a diagram?
  • KKCapcom2KKCapcom2 Joined: Posts: 120
    Japanese
    No hablo ingles
    We share blood. We are not brothers.
    Lol the troll that is specs. Wasting so much time on nonsense. I'll be sure to remember other people's warnings about him in the future. \o/
  • HavatchuHavatchu Joined: Posts: 4,734
    Not only do most people in here not understand Japanese, but the nuances of the language especially.
    Insanity is freedom
    The moment I fell in love with specs- "I believe in the Beyblader philosophy, for I am one who Beyblades."
    Shaft's posts are canon.
    Lol the troll that is specs. Wasting so much time on nonsense. I'll be sure to remember other people's warnings about him in the future. \o/

Disappointing. If you weren't a scrub at life, you would have either a) come up with a proper defense or b) admitted, like a man, that you were full of shit.

Also, trolls post to intentionally create argument. It's not trolling to call out a fool on his obvious assclownery. Chalk another one up to you not having a fucking clue.
  • lolokoalolokoa [D-Tier] Joined: Posts: 33
    english dub

just because of English Aigis and her Armor
  • DontTaseMeBroDontTaseMeBro Joined: Posts: 10
    English, I love the voice actors.. and its the voices i know in the games.. cause unlike most people who got this game. I actually played and beat Persona 3 FES (twice) and Persona 4.
    English, I love the voice actors.. and its the voices i know in the games.. cause unlike most people who got this game. I actually played and beat Persona 3 FES (twice) and Persona 4.
    There is quite a share of people who played P3 / P4 with japanese voices (and english text). ;)
    我道
  • FerrellJFerrellJ Joined: Posts: 29
    Said it before, saying it again: language should be an option on character select. I think it's totally fair that if you, say, like Japanese Yukiko and I like English Yukiko, we should both get to hear that in the same match.
    While not quite the same thing- the language option you have selected in your game will be the one other players hear from your character when playing online against you.

Of course, that's just online...
  • General_ELLGeneral_ELL Joined: Posts: 15
    English cause I hate Teddie and Rise JP voice, and Troy Baker is the only true Kanji. Yuri Lowethall is amazing as Yosuke too, best role in his career.
  • ManyeahtruManyeahtru Joined: Posts: 45

So true.. and as a dudley player constantly hearing British black man speaking Japanese may be too much class for me to handle
  • GraymalkinGraymalkin Staggeringly tedious Joined: Posts: 660
    [A]s a dudley Player constantly hearing British black man speaking Japanese may be too much class for me to handle.

Third Strike Dudley has the best Street Fighter voice ever. If he sounded like Matt Berry in IV I'd bite the bullet and learn him...
    USFIV - Rose | UraGraymalkin | Mitsurugi - SCV
    "So I broke into the palace, with a sponge and a rusty spanner..."
  • RyyudoRyyudo Shaquatch Joined: Posts: 52
    English. I'm too lazy/American to access the options and don't really care on the language either way.

But I cringe at people who HAVE to have it a certain way for non-skill reasons.

i.e. I know some people are used to timing moves off certain voice cues. That makes perfect sense to have that changed, then.
    If it's "UGGGUU I CAN'T LISTEN TO ENGLISH I NEED JAPANESE SO QUIT THE MIDDLE OF THE MATCH RIGHT NOW" then eff you.

...True story
    That reminds me of when I was watching some major earlier this year, and some guy actually backed out of UMvC3 character select and to options so that he could change Vergil's voice to Japanese. Because he wanted to have it that way, no real other reason. Fucking really?
  • Alex HallAlex Hall Gundam Fighter Joined: Posts: 8
    I usually go with English due to habit. When I watch anime in general, it's background noise while I'm working or doing something, so I have to put it in English. I'm also fond of many of the actors in P4A.
  • RyyudoRyyudo Shaquatch Joined: Posts: 52
    That reminds me of when I was watching some major earlier this year, and some guy actually backed out of UMvC3 character select and to options so that he could change Vergil's voice to Japanese. Because he wanted to have it that way, no real other reason. Fucking really?

Right?! I didn't see that, but I woulda lost my mind if I did.

And mind you, my example was for BlazBlue, where the voice acting seemed to be pretty damn exceptional in English.
    Third Strike Dudley has the best Street Fighter voice ever. If he sounded like Matt Berry in IV I'd bite the bullet and learn him...

This is truth.