English vs Japanese voices (Explain why)

Comments

• 2Chep2Chep Joined: Posts: 196
    I would change mine to Japanese, but Kanji's voice actor has convinced me to stick with English.

Power of the Nova Force!
  • DeltaKyakuDeltaKyaku terribad Joined: Posts: 704
    Space hasn't really been relevant in years and cost is a non-issue if you're publishing in both regions. They aren't even releasing the Japanese voice track for the TV series in North America, Index is legitimately that worried about it.

I kind of overlooked the fact Catherine isn't technically a Persona game, but whatever.
  • LKXLKX Joined: Posts: 58
    Not fighting game but if anyone played PS2 survival horror game "Siren", then you would all understand how inappropriate British accent dubs on the all Japanese cast. Atrocious, simply cringe worthy.
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,666
    Japanese, the English voice acting is way too exaggerated/obnoxious/cheesed. At least it's somewhat bearable with listening to Japanese voice overs.
  • FerrellJFerrellJ Joined: Posts: 29
    Personally, I prefer the Japanese voices; at least in ArcSys games- if I've got to hear "MY ARMOR!" twenty times every round, I'd rather it be just some phrase I'm not familiar with instead. Arc has a tendency of making the characters talk a lot more than they need to when they do literally anything. Did the character block a hit? They need to say something. Did they just jump? Must say words! Did the opponent just jump over you making you turn around? Yeah, they should probably make them say something there too...

I never need to know what the characters are saying in these instances so not understanding the words isn't a double-edged sword. Games like Street Fighter are much more bearable- I think the split I have set on that game is about 50/50 because the characters don't vocalize full words for every action.

Then there's also the issue of quality- I frankly have no idea if the Japanese voice actors are doing a poor job so it doesn't matter. If there is a poorly delivered line on the English side that I need to listen to repeatedly, it will bother me to no end though. Labrys is a perfect example- it sounds like they had five different people from all different parts of the country do voice work for her... and people seem to love her English voice for some reason.
  • LammeLamme Joined: Posts: 109
    I'm an ex-anime fan. Two things really turned me off from the stuff after a while:

1) The realization that most of it is trash.
    2) People like you who don't have the first clue what they're talking about.

Yo, Hitler. Stop taunting people like that, I'm just expressing my feelings and own thoughts, not attacking you or people who happen to like dubs. Get over yourself. \o/
    Steam: Lamme PSN: Lammez- Live: Lammaz
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/realLamme
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yo, Hitler. Stop taunting people like that, I'm just expressing my feelings and own thoughts, not attacking you or people who happen to like dubs. Get over yourself. \o/

:rofl:

Holy fuck. A Hitler comparison? For responding to a post?

Hey jackass, just as you're allowed to express your own wildly uneducated opinions about dubs and subs, I'm allowed to say you don't have a clue, on account of you not having a clue. It doesn't make me Hitler, you stupid fuck.

Some people's children, seriously.
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
  • SesshaZLSesshaZL 春麗 豪鬼 Joined: Posts: 1,028
    I tend to like the characters to speak the language they actually speak. Sadly, this isn't usually an option - for SSFIV, for example, it usually results in 'Western' characters speaking English and 'Eastern' ones speaking Japanese.

Ideally, though, El Fuerte would speak Spanish, Ken English, Juri Korean, Honda Japanese, etc...

Sometimes, though (Soul Calibur V) the English acting, or script, is so awful I switch it to Japanese. Ignorance can be bliss..
    3s chun li actually has some of her lines in chinese. I think the twins do as well. Also according to apcom canon ken is 3/4japanese and and he spent a decade training here so he of course is gonna speak nihongo
    50/50 post Hyoukusen mixup is dirty!!
    Way more dangerous than outsiders perspective, "low forward super, yawn, I play better games" - WTF-AKUMA-HAX
    :rofl:

Holy fuck. A Hitler comparison? For responding to a post?

Hey jackass, just as you're allowed to express your own wildly uneducated opinions about dubs and subs, I'm allowed to say you don't have a clue, on account of you not having a clue. It doesn't make me Hitler, you stupid fuck.

Some people's children, seriously.

Sorry I didn't know you have to be educated in order to have an opinion. Also, maybe it doesn't make you Hitler, but it certainly makes you an ignorant being if you're not able to withstand other peoples thoughts and opinions.
  • GraymalkinGraymalkin Staggeringly tedious Joined: Posts: 660
    Also according to [C]apcom canon Ken is 3/4 Japanese...

Wow, I never knew that!

I always assumed Ken spoke Japanese, but he always seems an obvious choice for the 'English' setting to me. But then what do I know? :)
    USFIV - Rose | UraGraymalkin | Mitsurugi - SCV
    "So I broke into the palace, with a sponge and a rusty spanner..."
    Sorry I didn't know you have to be educated in order to have an opinion. Also, maybe it doesn't make you Hitler, but it certainly makes you an ignorant being if you're not able to withstand other peoples thoughts and opinions.

You're an idiot. I'll get into why later, don't worry.
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,269
    I love you specs
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • rayplayrayplay aka solidoutlaw Joined: Posts: 2,813
    This game lacks someone voiced by Steve Blum.
    PSN: rayplay
    Best widowmaker in North Korea.
    "He's gonna switch to wireless mid greed sever."
    Said it before, saying it again: language should be an option on character select. I think it's totally fair that if you, say, like Japanese Yukiko and I like English Yukiko, we should both get to hear that in the same match.

Okay, so here's why you're an idiot:

Mostly using Japanese whenever it's possible, I hate dubbing just like many other people seem to do as well. Dubs never sound right.
    Still, games are pretty much the only place where you can change the language and actually enjoy it to some degree, unlike anime or other shows where dubbing is pure self-torture.

Right here. This whole post. The excruciating breakdown:
    • "I hate dubbing just like many other people seem to do as well." Sweeping generalization about what people like. There are dubs for a reason: they're requested, and wanted, and usually quite professional, despite the deluded ramblings of sub-only elitists (which does NOT include people who just prefer subs; there's nothing wrong with that).
    • "Dubs never sound right." Actually, your qualifications to judge how "right" a dub sounds is probably somewhere in between minuscule and fuck all nothing. I say this because professional dubs are done by these people called, brace yourself, professional voice actors (who research their characters) and professional voice directors (who know what sounds right). They are infinitely more qualified to measure what sounds "right" than your dumb ass. And yeah, that sometimes means sounding different, like when a 17-year old Japanese girl sounds 5 in an anime, and the dub actually gets a grown-ass woman to do her voice because 17-year old girls, even Japanese ones, are grown ass women. That's actually, get this, *a better choice.*
    • "Games are pretty much the only" you know what, fuck it, I'm pretty sure bullet point #2 nailed it.
    And that's why you're an idiot, as are backwards ass imbeciles that share your "all dubs are horrible and everyone hates them" mindset, which unfortunately comprised a rather large number of anime fans I tried to associate with back when I actually thought the stuff wasn't garbage. Which, believe it or not, does actually factor into my decision to stop watching the crap wholesale, though not as much as anime being mostly putrid storytelling loved far more for its style than substance.

So when you take what I said and compare it to Hitler, that's just driving the point home, selling it wholesale, etc.

Is this clicking, yet? Or should I draw you a diagram?
  • KKCapcom2KKCapcom2 Joined: Posts: 120
    Japanese
    No hablo ingles
    We share blood. We are not brothers.
    Lol the troll that is specs. Wasting so much time on nonsense. I'll be sure to remember other people's warnings about him in the future. \o/
  • HavatchuHavatchu Joined: Posts: 4,734
    Not only do most people in here not understand Japanese, but the nuances of the language especially.
    Insanity is freedom
    The moment I fell in love with specs- "I believe in the Beyblader philosophy, for I am one who Beyblades."
    Shaft's posts are canon.
    Lol the troll that is specs. Wasting so much time on nonsense. I'll be sure to remember other people's warnings about him in the future. \o/

Disappointing. If you weren't a scrub at life, you would have either a) come up with a proper defense or b) admitted, like a man, that you were full of shit.

Also, trolls post to intentionally create argument. It's not trolling to call out a fool on his obvious assclownery. Chalk another one up to you not having a fucking clue.
  • lolokoalolokoa [D-Tier] Joined: Posts: 33
    english dub

just because of English Aigis and her Armor
  • DontTaseMeBroDontTaseMeBro Joined: Posts: 10
    English, I love the voice actors.. and its the voices i know in the games.. cause unlike most people who got this game. I actually played and beat Persona 3 FES (twice) and Persona 4.
  • zUkUuzUkUu Theory Pro Joined: Posts: 4,396
    English, I love the voice actors.. and its the voices i know in the games.. cause unlike most people who got this game. I actually played and beat Persona 3 FES (twice) and Persona 4.
    There is quite a share of people who played P3 / P4 with japanese voices (and english text). ;)
    我道
  • FerrellJFerrellJ Joined: Posts: 29
    Said it before, saying it again: language should be an option on character select. I think it's totally fair that if you, say, like Japanese Yukiko and I like English Yukiko, we should both get to hear that in the same match.
    While not quite the same thing- the language option you have selected in your game will be the one other players hear from your character when playing online against you.

Of course, that's just online...
  • General_ELLGeneral_ELL Joined: Posts: 15
    English cause I hate Teddie and Rise JP voice, and Troy Baker is the only true Kanji. Yuri Lowethall is amazing as Yosuke too, best role in his career.
  • ManyeahtruManyeahtru Joined: Posts: 45
    i tend to have everything in english as id rather be able to understand what they are saying. plus certain characters sound a LOT better in english. you can actually tell that morrigan is scottish and that cammy is english for example which is totally lost in the japanese voices

So true.. and as a dudley player constantly hearing British black man speaking Japanese may be too much class for me to handle
  • GraymalkinGraymalkin Staggeringly tedious Joined: Posts: 660
    [A]s a dudley Player constantly hearing British black man speaking Japanese may be too much class for me to handle.

Third Strike Dudley has the best Street Fighter voice ever. If he sounded like Matt Berry in IV I'd bite the bullet and learn him...
    USFIV - Rose | UraGraymalkin | Mitsurugi - SCV
    "So I broke into the palace, with a sponge and a rusty spanner..."
  • RyyudoRyyudo Shaquatch Joined: Posts: 52
    English. I'm too lazy/American to access the options and don't really care on the language either way.

But I cringe at people who HAVE to have it a certain way for non-skill reasons.

i.e. I know some people are used to timing moves off certain voice cues. That makes perfect sense to have that changed, then.
    If it's "UGGGUU I CAN'T LISTEN TO ENGLISH I NEED JAPANESE SO QUIT THE MIDDLE OF THE MATCH RIGHT NOW" then eff you.

...True story
  • AshilynAshilyn One Hojillion! Joined: Posts: 20
    That reminds me of when I was watching some major earlier this year, and some guy actually backed out of UMvC3 character select and to options so that he could change Vergil's voice to Japanese. Because he wanted to have it that way, no real other reason. Fucking really?
  • Alex HallAlex Hall Gundam Fighter Joined: Posts: 8
    I usually go with English due to habit. When I watch anime in general, it's background noise while I'm working or doing something, so I have to put it in English. I'm also fond of many of the actors in P4A.
  • RyyudoRyyudo Shaquatch Joined: Posts: 52
    That reminds me of when I was watching some major earlier this year, and some guy actually backed out of UMvC3 character select and to options so that he could change Vergil's voice to Japanese. Because he wanted to have it that way, no real other reason. Fucking really?

Right?! I didn't see that, but I woulda lost my mind if I did.

And mind you, my example was for BlazBlue, where the voice acting seemed to be pretty damn exceptional in English.
    Third Strike Dudley has the best Street Fighter voice ever. If he sounded like Matt Berry in IV I'd bite the bullet and learn him...

This is truth.
  • TetsuroTetsuro Joined: Posts: 705
    Shadow Labs lines are too great not to be heard in English. My personal favorites are when she lands her command throw "ahahaha! That was awesome!" and when she beats Mitsuru, "ahahaha! Ride home bitch!"
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,239

I remember that. What was the point of that? I honestly don't know why anyone would want to listen to the DMC characters in Japanese. They never had Japanese voices until it received an anime.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • ~22~~22~ Ain't broke, don't fix. Joined: Posts: 7
    English, motherfucker. Because I speak it.
    If you got beef, I'm the chef.
    :wtf: Yeah...Let's just leave it at that.
    xbl: Twenty2Bullets
    UMVC3: Viper (bk) | Dormammu (puri) | Felicia (spike)
  • Zane HitsurugiZane Hitsurugi X-buster, ready. Joined: Posts: 1,071
    I usually put mine on english because the voices usually fit the characters better. Especially Chie, her voice in japanese is so unnecessarily high pitched.
    PSN: hawkw1ng
    BBCF: Susano'o, Bang, Kokonoe UNIBEXLTEST: Enkidu/Yuzuriha MVC:I- Megaman X/Zero
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,702
    Actually, I'm okay with Labrys' voice. At first, it was a little annoying, but I grew to like the accent. Huh.

What I REALLY don't like is Chie's new voice. Her old voice was so perfect in Persona 4! :'c Now she sounds like an annoying little girl. MY FAN HEART IS BROKEN.
    FIIIIIIIIIIIST....OF FURY!! Someone used 3 of them online when I was...half screen away. #highlevelchie
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,693 mod
    Mitsuru's english coice may lead to sudden S&M domination fantasies.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • ArachnofiendArachnofiend Double Uzis and a Wink Joined: Posts: 2,058
    I generally prefer English unless the English voices are particularly bad. The only English voice that bothers me in this game is Chie and the Japanese voice actor is even worse so yeah.
    Skullgirls: Peacock/Parasoul Marvel 2: BB Hood/Juggernaut/Ruby Heart Marvel 3: Tron/Strange/Skrull BlazBlue CSE: Hazama Vampire Savior: BB Hood
  • Dracula_XDracula_X unblockable Joined: Posts: 915
    i generally use japanese voices. They tend to sound better in games to me at least. honorable mention for rufus from sf4 though, he is far more entertaining in english. well that and ken for "and one more for good measure!"

It's like when i played Ken's rage in english. Hundred crack fist of the north star sounds waaaaay better as hokuto hyakuretsken.
    Time lost can never be retrieved.
  • KorigamaKorigama 所在無い Joined: Posts: 547
    Tho, Lei and Zafina speak english and I dunno why. For Law it makes sense since he lives in america, but isn't Lei a chinese policemen?
    Hong Kong policeman, specifically. Both Cantonese Chinese and English are considered the official languages of the region, and members of their police force are required to know both.

EDIT: Just realized how old the post I was responding to was...oh well, either way, there you go.
    KoF XIII // Kula/Iori/Mature | 3S // Dudley (SA I) | TvC // Saki/Tekkaman Blade | BB // Tsubaki, Noel, Valkenhayn | MvC3 // Dante/X-23/Amaterasu
  • de BLOOde BLOO It's pronounced dee BLOO. Joined: Posts: 4,501
    English, especially if a game has a "girl yelling all the fucking time" squeaky voice.

I don't want to hear your bullshit Felicia.
    GT: Hector Garfria PSN ID: Hector_Garfria