Current Most Balanced Fighting Game

PrideAndFuryPrideAndFury Joined: Posts: 70
What do you guys think the most balanced fighting game is right now? I'm looking to play a new fighter and it ain't Marvel. If you think it's AE, recommend me a runner up.

Comments

• DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably VF5. Persona 4 would be up there if it wasn't for the top 2 or 3 characters. Skullgirls is pretty undiscovered enough and only has 8 characters so that's up there too.

AE is alright with balance but it's more like half the cast is ok and the other other half is just mediocre. It's not really balance in the sense that everybody is strong so even if the lower cast isn't bad they're not really that good either and have to land a lot of hits to win a match.

Just play what you find fun. You have to deal with the tiers regardless of what game you play. If you're trying to find a game where you can avoid tiers you're not going to find it.
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 22,804 mod
    Persona is pretty balanced (from what we know so far). Most of the matchups are 5:5 to 6:4. The difference is simply that the top tiers have more favorable matchups (5.5:4:5, 6:4 and in Mitsuru's case, a couple of 7:3s) than the rest.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

• DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Persona is pretty balanced (from what we know so far). Most of the matchups are 5:5 to 6:4. The difference is simply that the top tiers have more favorable matchups (5.5:4:5, 6:4 and in Mitsuru's case, a couple of 7:3s) than the rest.

Yeah that's pretty much the way Guilty Gear was any way.

http://kayin.pyoko.org/GuiltyGear/actiers.html
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 22,804 mod
    Yeah that's pretty much the way Guilty Gear was any way.
    Makes sense considering that the game is pretty much a more accessible Guilty Gear (more than BB can ever hope to be).
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

• RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭
    P4a is pretty balanced, people bitch about Mitsuru and Aigis but they aren't as bad as top tiers in a typical unbalanced game and the lower tiers still got the tools to beat them. Don't let the scrubs discourage you, play a character that you enjoy most and you'll have a better time progressing.

AE is also pretty balanced.
    SG- Val-Cera
    P4a- Mitsuru/Kanji
    UMVC3- Wesker, Wesker, Wesker
  • Eternal BlazeEternal Blaze Mobility Spammer~ Joined: Posts: 4,334
    KoFXIII.

P4A is pretty balanced where none of the top tiers are super dominant, its just the bottom characters are ass.. everyone is still viable though.

T6 is balanced (eventhough its dead), AE and VF5 are also balanced (more or less).
    .MVY. Francys Pai | Eternal Blaze
    [PSN/XBL: TrulyAmiracle]
    [Zafina/Anna | Amane | Vega | Christie | Hawkgirl | Alisa/Asuka]
    [Joe/Ralf/Vice | PainWheel/Cerebella/Parasoul]
  • PrideAndFuryPrideAndFury Joined: Posts: 70
    KoFXIII.

P4A is pretty balanced where none of the top tiers are super dominant, its just the bottom characters are ass.. everyone is still viable though.

T6 is balanced (eventhough its dead), AE and VF5 are also balanced (more or less).

I head that KOFXIII was really balanced but I was a little skeptical approaching a 3v3 fighter like that. I did watch EVO grand finals and it didn't look like any character was really dominant in Top 8. Maybe I'll give it a try.
  • Raging GhostRaging Ghost Anarchic Witchkiller Joined: Posts: 165
    I head that KOFXIII was really balanced but I was a little skeptical approaching a 3v3 fighter like that. I did watch EVO grand finals and it didn't look like any character was really dominant in Top 8. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Also, there's a 1vs1 mode in this game, but it seems people doesn't bother much on it.

kofmodeselectvs.png

Like if the tournaments and online play prefer you to use 3 characters over a single one or something...
  • GemakaiGemakai HadouKen what Others HadouKan't Joined: Posts: 825 ✭✭
    P4A seems pretty balanced despite people's complaints.

AE 2012 is also very balanced - every time I watch a tourney stream of that game, I have no idea who's going to win. And recently, I hear that Vega (Claw) is considered top tier in Japan. Dunno how much truth that holds, but it just goes to show how balanced the game (save for maybe like... Hakan or so... and even then, that's a maybe)

VF5 also seems pretty balanced, but I don't know too much more than the basics.

ArcSys games iin general tend to be relatively balanced (save for CT... that was... a bit of a mess, balance wise)
    BBCS:EX: Hakumen, Noel, Bang, Hazama | USF4: Vega, Makoto, Elena, Yun, Sakura | UMvC3: Felicia/Doom/Strider
    SFxT: Elena, Paul, Dudley, Vega, Asuka, Law, Julia, Bryan | P4A: Naoto, Aigis, Kanji, Shadow Labrys
    (save for CT... that was... a bit of a mess, balance wise)
    CS1 was also pretty bad, almost as bad as CT in terms of balance, I think it has more to do with all the system changes
    #FuckCS1Litchi
    I don't think there are any bad characters in P4a, the top tiers are also pretty dominant imo
    SG- Val-Cera
    P4a- Mitsuru/Kanji
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    Final Showdown, easily. VF games in general always seem to balance out really well. Perhaps that's why the game has never really taken off in the States?

As for AE, sorry but some characters in that feel virtually helpless against others, so no, I think they've over-saturated it now, and the overall mechanics are pretty revolting (and slow) anyhow.
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
  • Raging GhostRaging Ghost Anarchic Witchkiller Joined: Posts: 165
    Final Showdown, easily. VF games in general always seem to balance out really well. Perhaps that's why the game has never really taken off in the States?

As for AE, sorry but some characters in that feel virtually helpless against others, so no, I think they've over-saturated it now, and the overall mechanics are pretty revolting (and slow) anyhow.

Basically why people in the states prefer some fighting games over others are simply because they only want to play the good characters. I may be wrong though but that would explain why there's more Capcom games in EVO than other ones from other gaming companies.
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    Well, of course, what is a good character? The incredible Hulk flying around the screen with lasers and meteors exploding everywhere, or a cast of complex, relatively down to earth human beings using a myriad of largely realistic martial arts based moves? A lot of the active VF players today are older for a reason, even though VF1 hit in '93, two years after SF2 in '91. You get to a certain age and stage in this game, and Ryu covered in flames is just :zzz: but Vanessa in a pair of hot-pants is still very much :love:
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
  • DarKaoZDarKaoZ Joined: Posts: 595
    Also, there's a 1vs1 mode in this game, but it seems people doesn't bother much on it.

kofmodeselectvs.png

Like if the tournaments and online play prefer you to use 3 characters over a single one or something...

Well that is what makes KOFXIII balance, having 3 characters in there. But 1vs1 you can definitely see the match-ups more defined and put the characters in higher or lower tier. But even then, its quite balanced for been a KOF, KOF98UM/2002UM could be considerated balanced also, but not in KOFXIII level.

Anyways, I think KOFXIII and VF5FS are 2 of the most balanced fighters I have played.
  • LunaSlaveLunaSlave insert title here Joined: Posts: 148
    not quite sure what you mean by "current" - do you mean the most balanced games of all the games out there currently? Or the most balanced among ones that have a "current" following in tournaments and such? I'd have to pick KOF XIII among the current crop of popular games. I was thinking, HD Remix's tournament scene has sorta died off with the exception of the Capcom sponsored stuff, but Akuma aside, that game's very very balanced, although the balance is such that there are a lot of bad matchups and counterpicks involved - but if someone picks a foil to your character you can definitely pick a foil to their foil, etc etc.

Also, I don't really know much about it beyond the surface level but I've heard that Arcana Heart 3 is exceptionally well-balanced.
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    VF5:FS and KOF XIII easily, because of the core systems and how universal they are. Don't take that as everyone plays the same, because of universal defensive and offensive options at the basic core, that just means you have to be more creative in creating a path to victory. VF excels in this more since you aren't limited by meter usage and having more options in general ( especially on defense) with there being at least 2 ways to get out of everything, and at least 2 ways they can still be countered.

That being said, both games still have their bs.

SF games aren't meant to be balanced since they focus more on the characters being deliberate. Sometimes this works and creates exciting matches (ST) and sometimes not (AE 2012).

EDIT: VF series didn't become balanced until the VF4 series. The shit in 1, 2, and 3 would make your jaw drop, lol!
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

Lack of knowledge and arcade presence In the states and Sateun not being popular. People still not knowing the flow of the game (exchanges switch sides every 1-2 hits), when to Use Fuzzy Guard, Crouch Dash Fuzzy Guard, ETE/TEG etc etc. Half baked reviews saying VF is a martial arts simulator while Tekken is a jugglerfest, despite VF having juggles since VF1 and waaaaay more broken at that. Although PKG juggles in VF2 are legit!

Sorry for the off topic rant.
  • SchiffSchiff Joined: Posts: 623
    VF5FS, no doubt.... and it feels really good to be able to choose your character without worrying to get destroyed by abusable tactics that work against your choice
    I want Shenmue III.

SSFIVAE: Gen
    VF5FS: Pai
  • Optimus CackOptimus Cack yes man kablam Joined: Posts: 269
    VF5 Final Showdown

There are a couple of dumb moves and the more complex forms of ARE (failed evade crouch dash fuzzy guard stuff) are fucking stupid, but otherwise the risk/reward is weighted fairly well.
  • Huggy BearHuggy Bear Scoops Häagen-Dazs® Joined: Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    Blazblue CS1 was a complete and utter clusterfuck of a game regarding Balance. Nobody should even go there man. Extend is meh.

Most likely AE2012 / VF5FS / AH3 / +R
    Logan / Spencer / Gouki

• LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭
    If I had to pick 3 that are good balance wise I would certainly have to say KOFXIII, P4A (Aigis is still the bane of my Narukami's existence though), and BBCSX (there's only really 2, 3 tops bad characters in it). AE2012 seems good from everything I've personally experienced through playing it, but it's possible that I'm wrong.
  • Hyun SaiHyun Sai Joined: Posts: 360
    VF5, KoFXIII, and TTT2. Those games got universal game mechanics that make every character of the roster extremely dangerous in the right hands.

AE is perhaps the most balanced iteration of SFIV, but this game is too much matchup dependant to my taste.
  • Hyun SaiHyun Sai Joined: Posts: 360
    hahahahaha what

Yes, the balance of this game is pretty good. Unlike T6, tiers are very condensed (check the Zaibatsu forums). I've yet to see anyone playing this game seriously complain about it.
  • bkfst_sausagebkfst_sausage ST / SRK2k3 OG Joined: Posts: 2,802
    In before VF5FS...
    oh wait...
    PSN: M1X4H < click it!
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭
    IMHO: Patched Skullgirls. Dubs and Parasoul were pretty nutty in the first iteration, but the current build has pretty good balance.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
  • RokmodeRokmode big wet sloppy meaty mud flap pussy is showing and its dripping all over the floor Joined: Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Standard Mugen with only kung fu man
    THIS WEBSITE SUCKS GIANT HORSE @#$@#$@!@$
    Youtube(random doom TAC help, doom combos, ammy stuff, shuma combos and tech): http://www.youtube.com/user/Clickclakmoo?feature=mhee Danke on shuma gorath: "He who sleeps but shouldn't have costed me 5 dollars."
  • HomunculiHomunculi Joined: Posts: 141
    DIVEKICK!
    UMVC3 - Wesker/Doom/Dormammu
    KoF 13 - Ryo/Elizabeth/Leona
  • ZeroTheHeroZeroTheHero Nothing but GG's Joined: Posts: 39
    VF5: FS Every character In this game has won tournaments, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Even Solo Mode is balanced. The nature of the Tekken game engine is risk reward everything has a built in Hard counter. 2d games I personally dont think can be balanced.
    TTT2: Kazuya/Lars SF4AE: Oni, Fei-Long // PSABR: Kratos, Drake // UMVC3:Zero(dp)/Vergil(RS)/Doom(Missile) // VF5FS: Jean
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Playing FG's? Welcome to Mai world. Joined: Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    KOFXIII, TTT2, and Skullgirls...
    https://twitter.com/Great_Dark_Hero http://ask.fm/Great_Dark_Hero
    KOFXIII: Billy/ Mai /Takuma (Subs: Elisabeth, Hwa, Terry, King, Yuri, Vice, Daimon, Iori, Leona)
    DOA5U: Mila (Subs: Pai, Jacky, Tina, Gen Fu)
    TTT2: Michelle/Armor King (Subs: Jaycee, Jinpachi, Bruce, Jin, Steve, Dragunov, Anna, Ling)
    If you're learning about KOFXIII, please click on my FAQS here
    If you're learning how to play Mai Shiranui (or the Mai match up) on KOFXIII, start here

• palipali PSN:Heavyjugz Joined: Posts: 976
    edited March 2013
    Who cares about balance if there is plenty of depth and gameplay variety with the characters that CAN compete in a game? Not to mention that there is some really fun top tier characters like Magneto from mvc2, Kabal or H. Smoke from UMK3, Fox from SSBM etc.

So what if your character isn't good, you can either overcome his weaknesses with pure skill or pick a better character that suits you.
    Post edited by RoGE9 on
    SG- Val-Cera
    P4a- Mitsuru/Kanji
    The whole point about balanced titles, is that if you train hard enough with your char and know the rest of the game well, you can win with anyone. That becomes waaay harder when you're suddenly using a low tier char in a poorly developed game with clear and dominant s-tiers. This is why VF has basically won this thread. Special mention also to ST.
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skullgirls, 3S, Breakers Revenge. 
    STOMP!
  • ifbpwnstarifbpwnstar Captain 'Murica Walking Wiki Joined: Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    Sou Calibur 5 is really balanced. All characters are viable, EVO was won by our suppose D-tier Tira.
    UMvC3: Cap (SS) | Doom (beam) | Strider (vajra) and Vergil (RS) | Morrigan (meter) | Strider (vajra)
    SC5: Astaroth
    SC4: Ivy, Rock

• FightankantFightankant Joined: Posts: 2
    Balance matter now? Everyone will pick ridiculously characters just to be a try hard anyway.
  • CyclopsPawnchCyclopsPawnch PEW PEW Joined: Posts: 100
    RoGE9 wrote: »
    Who cares about balance if there is plenty of depth and gameplay variety with the characters that CAN compete in a game? Not to mention that there is some really fun top tier characters like Magneto from mvc2, Kabal or H. Smoke from UMK3, Fox from SSBB etc.<br />
    <br />
    So what if your character isn't good, you can either overcome his weaknesses with pure skill or pick a better character that suits you.

You mean SSBM Fox, but yeah completely agree. This is why MvC2's one of my favorite fighting games of all time, even though characters past top 15 are rare in top level play (though pretty much any mid tier can be used in a viable team), individual play style, assist, and team order alone can change how a team plays so drastically that you could honestly almost count certain characters as 2-4 characters in that game.

I'd take a game with 5 really good characters and 15 really bad characters who all have a lot of depth and variety over a game that has 20 equally viable linear as balls characters any day.
  • PongBoomPongBoom land of ice and snow Joined: Posts: 707
    VF5? Lol say hi to Akira and the sumo dude for me.
    Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    -Winston Churchill
  • abkalldayabkallday Joined: Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭
    KOFXIII
    Psn:Genocidecu
    UMVC3:Vegil/X-23/Dante Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Lars/Nina SSf42012:Guy/Juri/Dudley
    GGPO:genocide_cuttah KOF 2002 Shermie/K/Kula Kof 98: Iroi/Robert/Saisyu/Kyo Garou: Kim Dong Hwan and Gato
  • LordJimLordJim Taking it easy Joined: Posts: 1,017 ✭✭
    IglooBob wrote: »
    how about "name a current fighting game that is fun"
    Is there a current fighter a decent amount of people did not enjoy aside from something like Deadliest Warrior?
    Conceived on Monday,Greenlighted on Tuesday,Developed on Wednesday,Released on Thursday,
    Grew worse on Friday,Died on Saturday,Buried on Sunday.Tis was the end Of Injustice:Gods among us Featuring Solomon Grundy
  • IglooBobIglooBob Joined: Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I meant "stop asking about balance, who cares"
  • PeacockPeacock Joined: Posts: 130
    Skullgirls, it is truly the most balanced game ever
  • blufangblufang 25th Anniversary, The Simpsons Joined: Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole point about balanced titles, is that if you train hard enough with your char and know the rest of the game well, you can win with anyone. That becomes waaay harder when you're suddenly using a low tier char in a poorly developed game with clear and dominant s-tiers. This is why VF has basically won this thread. Special mention also to ST.

This. Ideally you should be able to pick anyone and be able to compete. Why would anyone be against balance, makes no sense. Unless you're a tier whore, and want to have a bunch of easy match ups.
    20th Anniversary of ST ST Tournament of Legends EVO 2012
    ST Tournament of Legends 2 at EVO 2014!!! Featuring Nuki, Mao, Kurahashi, Damdai, AfroLegends, JWong and others.

20th Anniversary of Darkstalkers Darkstalkers Resurrection Pro Play

20th Anniversary of Marvel, King of Fighters, Tekken, and Killer Instinct

• CHIEFxIRONLUNGCHIEFxIRONLUNG Squaresoft purist. Joined: Posts: 587 ✭✭
    I'd say VF5FS that I know of. Once you break through it's initial learning curve the game opens up and all characters are equally scary.

My arguments not much to stand on but you'd have to play it to understand.
    its not fine, but at least it makes sense. your a fucking retard if you cant even grasp that. only a retard would die for people they dont even know to increase these peoples bank accounts. now why dont you go and applie to the army retard, you would fit in quite nicely with the rest of them ignorant bitches.
  • SoulSairSoulSair Joined: Posts: 1
    Bitch please, it's Team Fortress 2 BY FAR.
  • BigBenBigBen Joined: Posts: 2
    Melty Blood is pretty well balanced I'd say.
    A lot of the characters in AquaPazza are also fairly diverse but balanced. Considering Chizuru's not quite as retarded as she could be and Oboro is far from helpless, it's a pretty even roster.

[/weeaboo]
  • YorKeYYorKeY Where the connections are always green, SoCaL. Joined: Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    XBL/PSN/Steam- iYorKeY
    AE: Yun, C.Viper(my mains from the beginning, fuck footsies ^_^)
    UMvC3: Team Nemo/ Zero, Doom, Dante
    Melee: Marth/Sheik
    KoFXIII: EX/normal Kyo/EX Iori, Yuri, Elizabeth