Rochester, New York -- "That is a white ass menu..."

YannickYannick #ElenaTwerkTeamJoined: Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 6 in Atlantic North
Welcome to the newer and updated home of Rochester's FGF (fighting game family).

This thread is the meeting point for all of Rochester's fighting game players. You can find updated information here regarding who we are, what we're doing, and what we're playing. If you have any questions, please post in the thread or PM any of our members!
Who we are:
We are Rochester's primary gaming scene. We primarily involve ourselves in competitive fighting games, but we do not mind getting in some side action in anything else where the term "victory" is applicable. We primarily achieve conquest by way of Team Qanba and its arcade sticks; pad warriors are welcome to join the ranks, but are subject to RAW treatment (Random Acts of Wedgies, that is).
What we are:
We are as young as it takes to buy a copy of Mortal Kombat 9 at the store and as old as it takes to get kinks in your wrist while performing Hadoukens. We don't all have cars, but we can get a ride whenever and wherever we need to from each other. We are all shapes, sizes and colors and we have no problem making fun of anyone else's shape, size or color. We are supportive, friendly, and ferociously competitive. While we are all these things, we do have room and encourage casual players who have fighting games as more of a playful hobby than the rest of us.
When we are:
We meet typically twice a week; once during the middle of the week and once during the weekend. We don't always let total strangers into our homes, but we're happy to host games once those strangers aren't totally strange. The Rochester Institute of Technology holds its chapter's meeting of the Electronic Gaming Society once a week during the school semester, as well. We have a tournament once every few months. Ranbats and danisen leagues are scheduled for once a season and regional-level tournaments are scheduled for a few times a year; all these meetings are venue dependent.
Where we are:
Rochester has traditionally bred champions for every kind of competitive aesthetic imaginable. The Rochester fighting game family seeks to extend this tradition with and through the spirit of hard work, friendship, knowledge, and sacrifice. We take some games more seriously than others. We play just about anything and we're not afraid to travel just about anywhere to play the games we want to play. We're mostly inclusive, we're kinda nerdy too, but we're outgoing and love to make merry.
Why we are:
We're here as a cohesive fighting game community because of how difficult fighting games can be to organize locally these days. FPS games, MOBAs and even hardcore MMOs have much broader player bases and more concrete organizing power. By forming a local community, we've created an environment that fosters what any player needs to reach the next level in the game(s) they want to play; even for those who are looking at fighting games with a playful hobby in mind, we provide all the resources you need to perform with a minimum efficacy in order to compete with everyone else that plays.
The games:
The Last Blade 2
The King of Fighters XIII
Guilty Gear: Accent Core+R
BlazBlue: Chronophantasma
Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena

Super Street Fighter II: Turbo
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition v.2012

SoulCalibur V
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Unlimited

Arcana Heart 3
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Melty Blood Actress Again: Current Code
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
The players: (Updated 1/6)
Player Spreadsheet (Credit to sniping_dreamer)
http://tinyurl.com/ROCFGC

Gary
a.k.a. "Grifter"
Games: P4U, ST, GG:AC+R, BB:CP, VF5:FS, SFxT

Daniel
a.k.a. "MixTapeCD"
Games: DoA5, TTT2U, P4U, BB:CP

Minh
a.k.a. "Minic"
Games: AE2012, P4U, BB:CSEX, TTT2U, UMvC3

Austin
a.k.a. "Umbrella Knight"
Games: UMvC3

Wasim
a.k.a. "Neckpuncher", "GarbageBear"
Games: BB:CSEX, P4U, VF5:FS

Steve
a.k.a. "Steve (major)", "O.Steve", "Scumbag Steve"
Games: TTT2U

Mike
a.k.a. "Linker"
Games: BB:CP, P4U, MB:AACC

Nick
a.k.a. "NickRocks"
Games: MvC2, KOFXIII

Joel
a.k.a. "Roooster"
Games: GG:AC+R

Lawrence
a.k.a. "The Lau Dynasty"

Matt
a.k.a. "Running Wild"
Games: KOFXIII, Everything SNK, more KOFXIII

Oscar
a.k.a. "Sniping Dreamer"
Games: AE2012, UMvC3

Pablo
a.k.a. "Rican Heat"
Games: UMvC3, P4U, KOFXIII, TTT2U, AE2012

Akil
a.k.a. "Saigoto"
Games: AE2012, P4U

Amber
a.k.a. "FrameTrap"
Games: AE2012

Terence
a.k.a. "Termites"

Sim
a.k.a. "SixMachine"
Games: KoFXIII

Kyle
a.k.a. "Goggles"
Games: UMvC3, BB:CSEX

Reinaldo
a.k.a. "Noirforce"

Luis
Games: VF5:FS

Bernard
a.k.a. "ItsBernard"
Games: AE2012, TTT2U

Andrew
a.k.a. "Sinn"

Victor
a.k.a. "Vic2Real"

Will
a.k.a. "Kyte"
Gino
a.k.a. "FightersLegend"
Games: TTT2U, Marvel

Andrew
a.k.a. "Koax"
Games: AE2012

Adam
a.k.a. "Mufasa"
Games: AE2012, SFxT

Daniel
a.k.a. "Zeph"
Games: BB:CP, VS:R, AH3

The details: (Updated 1/13)
EGS @ RIT
Wednesday Nights, 8:00 p.m.
RIT Campus, Student Alumni Union Cafeteria
Bring your own controller **Currently postpwned due to the holiday break. Resumes mid-January 2014.

Rochester Streams
http://www.twitch.tv/rochesterfgc [Primary event stream]
http://www.twitch.tv/thesunsetyoshi
http://www.twitch.tv/runningwildvidya
http://www.twitch.tv/mixtapecd

Rochester Media
Twitter
YouTube
Facebook
Challonge

Rochester Fight Blogs
http://therocfightclub.wordpress.com
The events: (Updated 2/25) Saturday Night Feast 7 (March 8 -- Erie, Pennsylvania): This tournament could use a few more games to round out its roster, I think.

Northern Battles X (March 8 -- Toronto, Ontario): Witness the march of the Red Tager Army.

Final Round XVII (March 14 -- Atlanta, Georgia): The last place on the planet to play Soulcalibur V!

Tips for newcomers: Step #1: Introduce yourself in the thread! Make sure to at least tell us your first name because Internet names are typically pretty dumb.

Step #2: Pick a game. Any game. If you don't know what to get your hands into, think of what you like to play or how you like to play and post up! We may have some suggestions for you.

Step #3: Play games. All the games. Or just the ones you want. If you have questions about meetups, where they happen and when they happen, just post up! New faces are always welcome and most of us have been defanged, so you should be alright.

Step #4: Profit. Congratulations! In this short amount of time, barring any time you may or may not have needed to cure yourself of any head-in-ass syndrome (if applicable), you've become a member of Rochester's FGF. Sit back, call someone a scrub, get bodied, and finish the night with a cold beer.

Step #5: This hidden step is required for all newcomers. Don't be a dick. Please. What we're not: - Greedy
- Theives
- Silent
- Asshats
- Scr00bs
- Intolerant
- Associated with Buffalo in any way, shape or form For posterity: Wake Up, Rochester!!
This links to the previous Rochester SRK thread.
And no...
...it's not a setup.
Post edited by Yannick on
·

Comments

• Running WildRunning Wild King Of Kings Joined: Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should just list me as Everything SNK. :p:

And I see you listed Last Blade 2 and Garou:MOTW... 8-)

So yeah, tonight @ EGS, I'll have my PS3 w/ TTT2 which should be the focus tonight. Also need sticks! Just my VSHG with me tonight.
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    "The only Option Selects I want in fighting games are the control configuration and sound test."
    ·
  • FluxFlux Fair is overrated Joined: Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    damn I have been disowned

On my return: Marvel, P4U, SF4AE, BB and maybe TTT2?
    Welp
    ·
  • YannickYannick #ElenaTwerkTeam Joined: Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :eek: You haven't, just didn't know if you'd left us for the bright lights, the night life, Noel Brown, and all that Marvel talent.

I can list you if you'd like.
    ·
    BTW Yannick, didn't know you were an Alpha 3 man.

Let's have a few matches tonight. :)
    "The only Option Selects I want in fighting games are the control configuration and sound test."
    ·
    :eek: I will not be at EGS tonight. Definitely next time we meet, though. :D
    ·
    Fooey. Dodging me! Is there gonna be anything going on over the weekend?

Edit: Scratch that, I work late.
    ·
    :eek: How is your job going, anyway? :D
    ·
  • GrifterGrifter Ky and the Red Guy Joined: Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭
    Great write-ups, Yannick! Really enjoying that new thread smell and all these teases!

Took my suggestions pretty literally. Makes me worry and question just how much of what I say is getting taken literally. :)

Can I update my games list (just this once and I'd let it sit forever, captured in time)?
    P4U, SSF2T, GG:AC+, BB, VF5:FS, SFxT
    ·
    :eek: We have to take everything you say word for word. Don't slip up! <3
    ·
    @Yannick - Horrible, I'm ready to go back to what I was doing before lol. I'd much rather be in the kitchen or at a desk in solitude than deal with asshole customers everyday lol. I had a nice database entry job once, but since I lacked a car at the time, getting to and from work was a pain with unreliable public transportation.

I need a good few solid rounds to take my mind off it. Hopefully people will be in the 3D fightan mood tonight. :p:
    ·
    I'm leaving Cross at the end of all my profiles, like a cherry on top.

If anyone's up to grind and (hopefully) level at the games I play, please feel free to PM me!
    ·
  • Rican heatRican heat Sleeves Optional Joined: Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Damn I'm not gone a month and already I'm forgotten. When I come back: umvc3, p4a, KOFXIII, and TTT2
    XBL: Romeo Antonio
    ·
    :eek: I'm pretty sure you've been gone for a month already.

And fine~

I'll put you in the list.

(I knew I was forgetting some people.)
    ·
    I suggest KOFXIII be changed to "Everybody Has Genei Jin XIII".

You should probably just remove KOFXIII under me since I haven't played any since Pablo ran away. As Sarah Bryant says - "Better run home to mama now!" :p:
    ·
  • damusdamus who will be left standing when the dust clears Joined: Posts: 701
    Dustbowl is coming up soon! dont forget
    pot bonus for tag 2 !!!
    MVC3: Trish, Hulk, Robot
    Tekken: Dragonuv
    SSFIVAE: Sim
    BBCS: Taokaka
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    ·
    damus, can you add Persona and drop a random Capcom or Namco game?

Wasim's missing his primary game - [REDACTED]'s mom.
    ·
    :eek: LOOOOOOOOOL

Added Dust Bowl to the events list.

Oh

and added an events list.

VINH AND QUANG COME BACK
    ·
    Drop SF4 and Jug won't have a game to defend his title in.

And I'll sucker him into playing some Real Bout 2 with me FT10. :D
    VINH AND QUANG COME BACK

This x9001.

Oh memories -

·
  • MixTapeCDMixTapeCD Commencing Hostilities Joined: Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thumbs up on new thread!
    Stomping on Dis beat like a mothaf****ing Sigma
    ·
  • RogueRogue Joined: Posts: 47
    Play Persona Play Persona Play Personaaaa! Hit me up on Live if you need Aigis MU experience.

GT: Rose of Zeal
    ·
  • NormanBurgNormanBurg Student of the "Satsui-No Shimmy" - 殺意-の Shimmy Joined: Posts: 648 ✭✭✭
    I like the layout of the OP, Yannick. Did I read that a new Battle For Western NY tourney is pending?

My games list is spot on. GGs for remembering Alpha 2 :) and exposing me as a Persona Judas.
    ·
    :eek: I keeps it real, brah~
    ·
    Alpha 2

You and me need to throw down at A2 sometime.
    ·
  • Coca KoalaCoca Koala I only play the most elegant characters. Joined: Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    This thread is beautiful and I'm excited to be in on the ground floor with the rest of you cats.
    ·
    And you know Matt is gonna have Alpha 2 ready! On his laptop , so u better be Rdy Steve lol
    ·
  • Rican heatRican heat Sleeves Optional Joined: Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    college update for the new thread:

so far I've found nobody who plays marvel, kof, persona, tekken or street fighter on a competitive level. there might be a skull girls player though. been playing a lot of smash bros recently too. and MMA, they have MMA here, so thats close enough.
    XBL: Romeo Antonio
    ·
  • LinkerLinker Pulse. Joined: Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    :eek: I will not be at EGS tonight. Definitely next time we meet, though. :D
    What, week two of no persona? The hole in my heart grows, Yannick. Also, you forgot about magical drop and jojo's in the list of games.
    ·
  • Coca KoalaCoca Koala I only play the most elegant characters. Joined: Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Gonna go see awolnation play at Water Street tonight, so I won't be at EGS or the Command Center either. I'm pretty sure I should be able to go to the TTT2 thing at Steve's place this weekend, though. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out to EGS next wednesday? I remember there was a U of R guy who doesn't have a car, so maybe he'll get in touch with me and I can give him a ride or something.
    ·
    Had a lot of fun pressing buttons on P4U to this:

Favorite track right now.
    ·
  • Akazukin ChaChaAkazukin ChaCha Rumble in the Tundra 4 Joined: Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭
    haha just stoped into to give love to the 'What we are not' section: "[SIZE=12px]Associated with Buffalo in any way, shape or form"[/SIZE]

<3
    Rumble in the Tundra 4- 9/20/14 in Buffalo, NY - $500 Pot Bonuses for USF4 & TTT2, get in on it!
    Buffalo FGC- meeting every Saturday 12pm-whenever @ 175 Brompton Rd. Tonawanda NY 14150 (Paddock Golf Dome)
    ·
    Play Persona Play Persona Play Personaaaa! Hit me up on Live if you need Aigis MU experience.

:eek: Hey you!

With the face!

Come out sometime to play!
    ·
    :eek: Hey you!

With the face!

Come out sometime to play!

No ride to make it out and no gas money to offer any of you for a ride so I'm stuck at home every week this stuff goes down. That's why you should play P4U netplay with me!

·
    :eek: Stop posting your gamertag! We see it all the time!

Instead of your gamertag, post up asking for a ride! We don't accept gas money unless we're hurting for it and I feel that for some of us our pride wouldn't let us accept that money regardless.

No excuses! D:<
    ·
    No ride to make it out and no gas money to offer any of you for a ride so I'm stuck at home every week this stuff goes down. That's why you should play P4U netplay with me!

For fuck's sake, where do you live? My car's gas mileage is fine, and unless you're way out in the boonies somewhere, driving out to get you is probably not that big of a deal to me.
    ·
    For fuck's sake, where do you live? My car's gas mileage is fine, and unless you're way out in the boonies somewhere, driving out to get you is probably not that big of a deal to me.
    I live less than 5 minutes away from Rochester General Hospital. I'll PM address or something some other time if you think that's not too far.
    ·
    The hospital is about ten minutes north of where I live, that's not bad at all. Next wednesday, let me know if you're free and I'll come get you.

As an aside, I literally had no idea rochester has a general hospital that wasn't Strong. Huh.
    ·
    :eek: I guess that makes your knowledge of area hospitals...

...pretty weak.
    ·
    ^
    I need! An unlike feature for post like this!
    ·
    Came across this.

For the next test you got coming up your worried about.

For the next time you find yourself unmotivated to hit the gym.

For the next time you feel like you can never do dat combo!

For the next time you feel like making any excuse for anything and quitting !

·
  • RorecRorec Joined: Posts: 159
    You forgot to add one thing.

"If you can't find Yannick in the room, don't worry, he's actually there."
    ·
    :eek: I'll put that right next to:

"If you can't see Deng, don't worry, he can't see you either."
    ·
    Leo4.gif
    ·
  • skuzzyskuzzy Joined: Posts: 5
    Anywhere to buy arcade sticks locally?
    ·
    GameStop tends to have a limited supply of the Mad Catz sticks.

Shi and I will be running a P4 room on Xbox for locals Friday night at 9. All are welcome! GT - Grifter 181
    ·
    Tried my luck with gamestop, but no success. I have an urge to play
    ·
    :eek: If you really need one badly, you can order online from several places.

For instance, Aksys Games sells limited edition BlazBlue versions of the MadCatz TE directly to consumers. You could order from any number of stick-selling sites or even order import sticks from VideoGamesNewYork. There are plenty of opportunities as long as you have a card or a check you can mail.
    ·
    Oh yeah ordering is not a problem, Its more of an impulse buy.
    I had the cross tekken stick which i was impressed with, I will continue my search, if all fails, online order is next.

Thanks
    ·
    If you need it now, I'd call all the GameStops that are local. Selection will be limited but I tend to see a single stick hanging behind the counter. Maybe Game Crazy too.
    ·
    Last time I was at Game Craze in Canandaigua, they had a few Hori and Madcatz sticks.
    ·
    I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a few sticks at the game craze on stone rd
    ·