Beginner Resources

Comments

• KumaOsoKumaOso Trust Your Instincts Joined: Posts: 3,752
    Remember this part well:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-_trL1pZeo#t=6m12s
    The text guides don't mention it for some reason.
    That explains a lot. I was doing b,b,N,d/b.
    TTT2: Xiaoyu/Jaycee
    Virtua Fighter: Come On Eileen
    Avatar Art by Apofiss at DeviantArt.
  • KarriedKarried Joined: Posts: 151
    I come from MK9, what I know about that game I'm not sure I can apply to TTT2.

Like in MK9, there's block strings you do which either leave you at 0, or you cancel them into a special move to make them safe and/or give you frame advantage.

There's also a way to get out of pressure from the opponent in MK9, by doing a low poke or armoring out.

So, does Tekken have these types of concepts? I really don't know how to start pressure/combos in Tekken or getting an offense going to say the least and getting out of pressure.
  • huckles98huckles98 Joined: Posts: 671
    What's up with equipped items in TTT2. Obviously not going to be allowed in tournament play right? Some dude was shooting me with a gun last night.
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    Block high is a top tier tactic on Tekken now? The older games did have sweeps... and throws. Chars like King, Paul and Ling could reverse or deflect limbs as well. You don't turtle and runaway in these games minute by minute like in SFIV. The yomi is split second and constant - guess wrong and up or down you go.

Closest 2d is possibly 3s or Garou in that respect.
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
  • AzuroAzuro C L E B O Y Z Joined: Posts: 1,132
    I come from MK9, what I know about that game I'm not sure I can apply to TTT2.

Like in MK9, there's block strings you do which either leave you at 0, or you cancel them into a special move to make them safe and/or give you frame advantage.

There's also a way to get out of pressure from the opponent in MK9, by doing a low poke or armoring out.

So, does Tekken have these types of concepts? I really don't know how to start pressure/combos in Tekken or getting an offense going to say the least and getting out of pressure.
    The strings are in, but unlike MK9, not every unsafe thing will lead to a straight up combo punish. Even with some of the launchers. However, having the frame advantage or a knockdown is good enough, and a lot of these options can be sidestepped as well, or crouched in between, so just because it's safe on block and hard to whiff punish due to reach, doesn't mean it's always safe.

Special moves, armor, etc, do not exist in the game either, so getting out of pressure is more along the lines of knowing when to poke, sidestep, or even backdash if the opponent tries to attack with a short-range move after pushing you too far out.
    www.testyourmight.com
  • sam2xpsam2xp ☆彡 ☆ミ Joined: Posts: 145
    not played tekken since the first tekken tag game and i just bought this. Thanks for posting this, it will be very helpful :D
    I find myself on my back a lot... Like, a lot lot. If I backroll I get caught, side roll I get caught. Any tips?
  • KarriedKarried Joined: Posts: 151
    The strings are in, but unlike MK9, not every unsafe thing will lead to a straight up combo punish. Even with some of the launchers. However, having the frame advantage or a knockdown is good enough, and a lot of these options can be sidestepped as well, or crouched in between, so just because it's safe on block and hard to whiff punish due to reach, doesn't mean it's always safe.

Special moves, armor, etc, do not exist in the game either, so getting out of pressure is more along the lines of knowing when to poke, sidestep, or even backdash if the opponent tries to attack with a short-range move after pushing you too far out.

Lol I know who this is ;). Thanks. You slick lizard.
    I am in shock at how good the netplay is on TTT2. Been looking for a game to main all year, think I fount it.
  • thecapsaicinkidthecapsaicinkid drops combo, pretends it's a reset Joined: Posts: 1,016
    The ATP frame data is confusing, I'm guessing because it has been translated?

Is there any frame data which lists if each move is a mid/high etc?
    Fighting game player, coder, chilli lover, ruffian.
  • BemaniAKBemaniAK Regitrd usr Joined: Posts: 618
    Hello Boys and Girls.
    Today I wanna talk about a game called Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
    In this game there's a character called Eddie.
    Say hello Eddie!
    "Ola"
    If you play this game you probably really really hate Eddie.
    But that's only because you don't know how to beat him.
    So now I will show you the ultimate guide to how to beat Eddie.
    Yeeeaaahhh.

Please make this
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,658
    Hello Boys and Girls.
    Today I wanna talk about a game called Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
    In this game there's a character called Eddie.
    Say hello Eddie!
    "Ola"
    If you play this game you probably really really hate Eddie.
    But that's only because you don't know how to beat him.
    So now I will show you the ultimate guide to how to beat Eddie.
    Yeeeaaahhh.

Please make this
    1. Eddy.
    2. I already covered this long ago-
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • BemaniAKBemaniAK Regitrd usr Joined: Posts: 618
    Oh trust me I like that one even more than How To Beat Sentinel, it was just an example.
  • VinhDieselVinhDiesel Joined: Posts: 12
    Do you guys know any beginner characters? I want to pick up Hwoarang because I played him is SFxT but he looks kinda difficult because of all his stances.(Right Flamingo, Left Flamingo, Right stance etc)
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 I need a win button Joined: Posts: 20,657
    Do you guys know any beginner characters? I want to pick up Hwoarang because I played him is SFxT but he looks kinda difficult because of all his stances.(Right Flamingo, Left Flamingo, Right stance etc)

Not exactly a pro at Tekken but I think Lee Chaolan would be good. The only "complicated" thing about him is mist step cancels during juggles (which aren't really that hard anyway since his mist step is just forward, neutral), and remembering which moves cancel into his hitman stance (you don't really use the attacks from hitman that often though, I think it's just used to help make certain attacks safer or allow for an earlier cancel into his mist step launcher).
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Cammy, Ed (maybe?)
    Smash 4: Fox, Cloud, Corrin
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV SRK Lounge Bingo! (Season 2)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)
    Not exactly a pro at Tekken but I think Lee Chaolan would be good. The only "complicated" thing about him is mist step cancels during juggles (which aren't really that hard anyway since his mist step is just forward, neutral), and remembering which moves cancel into his hitman stance (you don't really use the attacks from hitman that often though, I think it's just used to help make certain attacks safer or allow for an earlier cancel into his mist step launcher).
    Lee requires great execution, about the same as the mishimas I'd say. He's also a turtle by nature so you have to keep the lead in life.
    Former account:
    Lee requires great execution, about the same as the mishimas I'd say. He's also a turtle by nature so you have to keep the lead in life.

Well, that shows how much I need to learn about the game then. :)

He just seems more lenient in execution compared to the Mishimas because his mist step is just tapping forward. But you're much more experienced than me so you can probably think of a better choice for a beginner character.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

Well, that shows how much I need to learn about the game then. :)

He just seems more lenient in execution compared to the Mishimas because his mist step is just tapping forward. But you're much more experienced than me so you can probably think of a better choice for a beginner character.
    You can do your carry with 12~f but it does 2 hits every time so it's limited. What a real Lee player needs to learn is to do b+2~f instead and despite the motion being annoying, the timing is hard since b+2 is much slower than a jab. I don't know how much of it is still relevant here but his WS punishers also require execution. Getting a juggle after ws+23, and doing u/f+4 from crouch. (done as u, u/f+4 in a sliding motion)

Anyway don't just take my word for it, go watch high level matches to confirm it. I don't follow all the characters myself so I may be outdated sometimes.
    Former account:
    You can do your carry with 12~f but it does 2 hits every time so it's limited. What a real Lee player needs to learn is to do b+2~f instead and despite the motion being annoying, the timing is hard since b+2 is much slower than a jab. I don't know how much of it is still relevant here but his WS punishers also require execution. Getting a juggle after ws+23, and doing u/f+4 from crouch. (done as u, u/f+4 in a sliding motion)

Anyway don't just take my word for it, go watch high level matches to confirm it. I don't follow all the characters myself so I may be outdated sometimes.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. I've just been doing left right to mist step into a bound move into pulse blast for combos instead because it's a lot easier. I can see how doing the other one is more effective though...but it is a lot harder to do consistently.

And sorry, I'm not very familiar with Tekken notations...what does WS stand for? And 1 is left punch, 2 right punch, 3 left kick, 4 right kick, correct?
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

Ah, I see. That makes sense. I've just been doing left right to mist step into a bound move into pulse blast for combos instead because it's a lot easier. I can see how doing the other one is more effective though...but it is a lot harder to do consistently.

And sorry, I'm not very familiar with Tekken notations...what does WS stand for? And 1 is left punch, 2 right punch, 3 left kick, 4 right kick, correct?
    In Japan etc. they use number notation for every FG, and the buttons in Tekken are LP RP LK RK. In TekkenZaibatsu.com they adopted half of the American SF notations (b,f,u,d) and they call the buttons 1(LP),2(RP),3(LK),4(RK),5(tag).
    Former account:
  • KamhaulKamhaul The Iron Blooded, Cold Blooded, Hot Blooded Vampire Joined: Posts: 53
    does team order really matter in this game? like if a character is better as a lead or anchor?
    XBL Gamertag: MK Ineptitude
    SSFIVAE: Dudley, Yun
    UMVC3 : Iron Fist, Spencer, Strange/ Nova, Spencer, Sent
    KOFXIII: EXKYO, Terry, Ralf
    TTT2: Feng/Jin, Lars/Feng
    does team order really matter in this game? like if a character is better as a lead or anchor?

It could matter if you like to use one character in a tag assault for wall carry. Jack 6 has a good relaunch with his auto option TA.
    If you are going serious business, put your best character in the front, because if the front character does really bad the partner won't even get to play.
    I do the opposite ATM because I'm learning a new character.
    Former account:
  • PatakaReadaPatakaReada Over Flowers Joined: Posts: 1,458

WS means while standing. The transitioning from crouch to standing.
    "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. But not Hip-Hop yo"
  • Monster637Monster637 Rage Trigger Joined: Posts: 1,207
    1. Eddy.
    2. I already covered this long ago-
    As a christie player since she was introduced , Thats the funniest Greatiest tekken video on earth to me LOL
    Sent From under Your bed......Using Your MOM!!!
  • YannickYannick Max Range Panta Rhei Joined: Posts: 4,465

:eek: I would recommend Paul and Asuka. Maybe not as a team, but as beginning characters.

You have a good mix of safety, unsafe moves, strong moves, crushes, reversals, sabakis and cancels without either character being too deep into any of those things. They have a little bit of everything and can teach you about most nuances of the Tekken system whereas most characters focus on a few areas. These cats are good to help you get into the shallow end of the Tekken pool until you're ready to swim further out. :D
    The Sunset Studio // Destiny: Rise of Iron, Fighters, Development, Mechanics, Strategy, Media.
  • TheAbsolutionTheAbsolution Joined: Posts: 737
    I need to find a second character with Devil Jin. I'm new to Tekken but I don't mind just frame moves since I'm a training mode monster. So far I'm debating between Heihachi and Lars because their Tag Assault fillers are pretty practical. I liked Feng in T6 but I'm not sure how much he'd help with combos.
  • tyler2ktyler2k All-around cool guy Joined: Posts: 24
    I need to find a second character with Devil Jin. I'm new to Tekken but I don't mind just frame moves since I'm a training mode monster. So far I'm debating between Heihachi and Lars because their Tag Assault fillers are pretty practical. I liked Feng in T6 but I'm not sure how much he'd help with combos.
    You can't go wrong with Lars, he can have a high skill cap (although at a basic level he still excels), but it's not nearly as high as a mishima. The benefit of DJ/Heihachi would be that they play very similarly so the transition between the two characters wouldn't be hard. The other benefit is that both characters are extremely strong, so if you stick with them, you'll be decently hard to deal with as you get better. The downside is your 1p and 2p execution has to be on point and they hate each other, so your natural rage generation is going to be pretty poor.

So this is my advice:
    If you're planning on playing seriously or playing TTT2 for the long haul, go DJ/Hehachi
    If you're planning on playing not so seriously, I'd imagine DJ/Lars would be pretty fun
    tyler2k.com | tyler2k.info | @tyler2k1
    Co-Author of Prima's TTT2 guide
    TZ mod for Dragunov, Jinpachi, and Raven
    Dont be another Lars pleeze man, he is a lame char .......... like ryu in Sf i keep hoping he is killed off
  • Y2RyokoY2Ryoko Joined: Posts: 118
    My problem with this game, besides never playing T6 for more than a few hours, is that I can't figure out how to move. Everything feels awkward. When I tech, it's like I'm always teching at the wrong time, or every one of my opponents is reading me somehow. Or maybe I just don't understand how teching actually works. Sometimes my character just doesn't get up and gets OTG'd forever.

On my feet, it just feels like I'm constantly underwater. When I watch people who actually know how to play, they look like they have a freedom of movement that I just don't understand. I thought the secret was just backdash canceling, so I spent the better part of a day learning it, but that only lets me retreat faster, not dance all over the stage like I own the place. I have combos, I have patience, and I have my characters (Asuka x Kunimitsu). All I need now is to figure out how to not stand still like an idiot or flop around like a Magikarp.
    :eek: Gotta evolve into that Gyarados, baby!

So movement is the main difference between Tekken and SoulCalibur (if you've ever played SoulCalibur). In SoulCalibur, everything feels much more fluid and just easier all-around. Tekken is a bit of a different story and requires tricks to move, as you've already discovered. The secret to movement is essentially backdash canceling, but not just the backdash part. You can take the mechanics of the backdash cancel and apply it to other directions of movement as well.

Forward dashes can be canceled back tapping d, d/b, or b. This way, you can kind of use backdash canceling in tandem with canceling your forward dashes to create a bobbing effect. You aren't limited by backdashing and then forward dashing and then backdashing again, either. As long as you get comfortable with canceling your forward dash, you can use it repeatedly to create a cautious advance with the readiness to back off at any time. You can combine these dash cancels with sidesteps to create a slightly vulnerable weaving motion (completely unnecessary), but it keeps the playing field in motion if your opponent relies on very linear attacks and you feel that you're at a safe enough distance while doing it. You can cancel steps with d or d/b as well, so you can extend the cancel mechanic into your sidesteps and other dash cancels to create continuous movement.

If you try a character that has a command dash, you can use that instead of your regular forward dash to apply really intense in-your-face pressure while still retaining all the contingency options that a regular forward dash cancel does.

You're almost there, gotta keep plugging away.

I think I'm going to make a movement thread tonight to help people out with this. Super important. :D
    The Sunset Studio // Destiny: Rise of Iron, Fighters, Development, Mechanics, Strategy, Media.
    Snip

Thanks for the advice. I'm comfortable moving around in pretty much every 3D fighter except Tekken, which really blows my mind seeing as VF5:FS is supposed to be super technical in every aspect, but movement in that game is super simple compared to this. I've been trying to imitate some top players' movement patterns to see if I could get it down, but it always felt like I was missing something. If you can just cancel any direction with d/b, though, that explains a whole lot.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm comfortable moving around in pretty much every 3D fighter except Tekken, which really blows my mind seeing as VF5:FS is supposed to be super technical in every aspect, but movement in that game is super simple compared to this. I've been trying to imitate some top players' movement patterns to see if I could get it down, but it always felt like I was missing something. If you can just cancel any direction with d/b, though, that explains a whole lot.
    dont feel bad, i feel the same way, im wondering if since this game might have been made and developed for arcade cabinetes long before SCV worked on making the 100 pound sandbag effect and controls more responsive and the reason it was not implemented in this since its a pimped out console version of a Arcade game? today after i install my new router im spend some time getting the side stepping down and see if my octogate in my stick is impairing my game as i feel . my down down side step usually wont come out but , up up comes out just fine
    :eek: If you want to step, you only want to tap the direction once. Otherwise, you'll risk crouching or jumping.

If you want to walk, you tap, go to neutral, then hold.

Dashing (forward and back) is where you'll want double taps.
    Just went into training mode for testing, then online to see what I could figure out. Looks like the thing I was referring to was specifically canceling out of sidesteps by pressing b and d/b. I can't do it nearly as fast other players I've seen... like, every other player I've seen. Literally every player I've ran into in the last few days can do this stuff and make it look hella easy.

Just look at some of the movement here:

I want to move like that.
    :eek: That's just practice, mang. The more you do it, the better you get. Better get started!
  • IlluminatiIlluminati Gnosis is the law. Gnosis under skill. Joined: Posts: 102
    More updates from LYUG and ATP
    ^^(;,,; )^^ BB: Arakune, Platinum / GG: Faust, Zappa / P4: Kuma / TTT2: DJ, Hei, Kaz / VS: Zabel (ʳ ´º㉨º)ʳ
  • TheAbsolutionTheAbsolution Joined: Posts: 737
    So I'm really liking the combo at 4:30 on this video. I can't test it right now but do you guys think it'd work on smaller characters?
  • PsychoJoshPsychoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 3,145
    I've played Tekken casually throughout the years so I know a little bit about it. I only know rudimentary stuff though. I don't know what competitive play entails.

Would you say that the main thing to learn is how to wake up? Because I know there's like a million different wakeup options.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • thecapsaicinkidthecapsaicinkid drops combo, pretends it's a reset Joined: Posts: 1,016
    Tekken is SO strict with its inputs. I'm guessing there are so many moves, there is lots of overlap so you need to be very precise. For example, I often get a 1, 2 string instead of 1+2, or I'll get down, down-forward when I just wanted down-forward. Trying to do dash, df+1 and I get f, d, d/f which gives me a crouch-dash upper instead.
    Tekken is SO strict with its inputs. I'm guessing there are so many moves, there is lots of overlap so you need to be very precise. For example, I often get a 1, 2 string instead of 1+2, or I'll get down, down-forward when I just wanted down-forward. Trying to do dash, df+1 and I get f, d, d/f which gives me a crouch-dash upper instead.
    Are you trying to plink? Because if so, that's probably why you're 1+2 is coming out 1,2.
    Are you trying to plink? Because if so, that's probably why you're 1+2 is coming out 1,2.
    No, I'm just not used to performing 2 button motions, or rather 2 button motions which are quite strict (in comparison to say getting an EX in SF). Obviously it has to be strict because of the overlap, If I press 1 on the frame after 2, I should get a 2, 1 (which is a legit string) and not 1+2.
  • hyoushiihyoushii EHRMAGERD Joined: Posts: 12

I think I'm going to make a movement thread tonight to help people out with this. Super important. :D

Is your thread about movement available? Coming from 2D I would really like to read that.
    :eek: Funny story. I started it that night and ended at 1:30 in the morning with not everything finished.

The same thing happened the next two nights in a row.

There's a ton of stuff and I don't want it to be too wordy at the same time. I'll promise to try to get it done at the end of the week if people are still interested.
    :eek: Funny story. I started it that night and ended at 1:30 in the morning with not everything finished.

The same thing happened the next two nights in a row.

There's a ton of stuff and I don't want it to be too wordy at the same time. I'll promise to try to get it done at the end of the week if people are still interested.

awesome, I'd love to give it a read. I feel like that was a huge part left out of the guide. It's talked about briefly but not enough that I feel confident moving around.
    :eek: Alright, I'll do my best!
  • IlluminatiIlluminati Gnosis is the law. Gnosis under skill. Joined: Posts: 102
    Updated for the week of 9/24-28
    ^^(;,,; )^^ BB: Arakune, Platinum / GG: Faust, Zappa / P4: Kuma / TTT2: DJ, Hei, Kaz / VS: Zabel (ʳ ´º㉨º)ʳ
  • DEATH™DEATH™ Submit, or else... Joined: Posts: 54
    www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2EE0F0D8F3A68904

byakokoko's tutorial, made on T6 but still highly applicable... Especially the SS/BDC tutorials
    Reading DarryH's post on the front page of SRK makes me realize that I need to write a short guide to understanding Tekken. Not necessarily a tutorial and not necessarily an in-depth look at the game that will go above everyone's head. Instead something that explains Tekken and why you shouldn't really be afraid of a 50+ character roster.
    Reading DarryH's post on the front page of SRK makes me realize that I need to write a short guide to understanding Tekken. Not necessarily a tutorial and not necessarily an in-depth look at the game that will go above everyone's head. Instead something that explains Tekken and why you shouldn't really be afraid of a 50+ character roster.

That sounds like an awesome idea. Personally I am an SF player first, but I'm having a great time taking a rest from that game and learning Tekken. I've played around in training mode with almost the whole cast and checked out pokes, to simple strings as well as where their higher damage moves are and it's been a blast. I like seeing the incremental steps of change I see in my game from knowing how deep it is. Hell, most of my frustration from 2D games came from "I know all the damn moves and pokes and 1 frame links of this char, why can't I win!??!?!?" With Tekken I know theres a lot I need to learn and it's been great to see how far I can get with my simple game and taking it online to then go back to the lab and learn more. If that article does anything, maybe it'll grab more people's attention and draw them into checking out a game outside their comfort zone.