Beginner Resources

13»

Comments

• YannickYannick Max Range Panta Rhei Joined: Posts: 4,467
    :eek: Gotta evolve into that Gyarados, baby!

So movement is the main difference between Tekken and SoulCalibur (if you've ever played SoulCalibur). In SoulCalibur, everything feels much more fluid and just easier all-around. Tekken is a bit of a different story and requires tricks to move, as you've already discovered. The secret to movement is essentially backdash canceling, but not just the backdash part. You can take the mechanics of the backdash cancel and apply it to other directions of movement as well.

Forward dashes can be canceled back tapping d, d/b, or b. This way, you can kind of use backdash canceling in tandem with canceling your forward dashes to create a bobbing effect. You aren't limited by backdashing and then forward dashing and then backdashing again, either. As long as you get comfortable with canceling your forward dash, you can use it repeatedly to create a cautious advance with the readiness to back off at any time. You can combine these dash cancels with sidesteps to create a slightly vulnerable weaving motion (completely unnecessary), but it keeps the playing field in motion if your opponent relies on very linear attacks and you feel that you're at a safe enough distance while doing it. You can cancel steps with d or d/b as well, so you can extend the cancel mechanic into your sidesteps and other dash cancels to create continuous movement.

If you try a character that has a command dash, you can use that instead of your regular forward dash to apply really intense in-your-face pressure while still retaining all the contingency options that a regular forward dash cancel does.

You're almost there, gotta keep plugging away.

I think I'm going to make a movement thread tonight to help people out with this. Super important. :D
    The Sunset Studio // Destiny: Rise of Iron, Fighters, Development, Mechanics, Strategy, Media.
  • Y2RyokoY2Ryoko Joined: Posts: 118
    Snip

Thanks for the advice. I'm comfortable moving around in pretty much every 3D fighter except Tekken, which really blows my mind seeing as VF5:FS is supposed to be super technical in every aspect, but movement in that game is super simple compared to this. I've been trying to imitate some top players' movement patterns to see if I could get it down, but it always felt like I was missing something. If you can just cancel any direction with d/b, though, that explains a whole lot.
  • Monster637Monster637 Rage Trigger Joined: Posts: 1,209
    Thanks for the advice. I'm comfortable moving around in pretty much every 3D fighter except Tekken, which really blows my mind seeing as VF5:FS is supposed to be super technical in every aspect, but movement in that game is super simple compared to this. I've been trying to imitate some top players' movement patterns to see if I could get it down, but it always felt like I was missing something. If you can just cancel any direction with d/b, though, that explains a whole lot.
    dont feel bad, i feel the same way, im wondering if since this game might have been made and developed for arcade cabinetes long before SCV worked on making the 100 pound sandbag effect and controls more responsive and the reason it was not implemented in this since its a pimped out console version of a Arcade game? today after i install my new router im spend some time getting the side stepping down and see if my octogate in my stick is impairing my game as i feel . my down down side step usually wont come out but , up up comes out just fine
    Sent From under Your bed......Using Your MOM!!!
    :eek: If you want to step, you only want to tap the direction once. Otherwise, you'll risk crouching or jumping.

If you want to walk, you tap, go to neutral, then hold.

Dashing (forward and back) is where you'll want double taps.
    The Sunset Studio // Destiny: Rise of Iron, Fighters, Development, Mechanics, Strategy, Media.
  • Y2RyokoY2Ryoko Joined: Posts: 118
    Just went into training mode for testing, then online to see what I could figure out. Looks like the thing I was referring to was specifically canceling out of sidesteps by pressing b and d/b. I can't do it nearly as fast other players I've seen... like, every other player I've seen. Literally every player I've ran into in the last few days can do this stuff and make it look hella easy.

Just look at some of the movement here:

I want to move like that.
    :eek: That's just practice, mang. The more you do it, the better you get. Better get started!
  • IlluminatiIlluminati Gnosis is the law. Gnosis under skill. Joined: Posts: 102
    More updates from LYUG and ATP
    ^^(;,,; )^^ BB: Arakune, Platinum / GG: Faust, Zappa / P4: Kuma / TTT2: DJ, Hei, Kaz / VS: Zabel (ʳ ´º㉨º)ʳ
  • TheAbsolutionTheAbsolution Joined: Posts: 737
    So I'm really liking the combo at 4:30 on this video. I can't test it right now but do you guys think it'd work on smaller characters?
  • PsychoJoshPsychoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 3,145
    I've played Tekken casually throughout the years so I know a little bit about it. I only know rudimentary stuff though. I don't know what competitive play entails.

Would you say that the main thing to learn is how to wake up? Because I know there's like a million different wakeup options.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • thecapsaicinkidthecapsaicinkid drops combo, pretends it's a reset Joined: Posts: 1,016
    Tekken is SO strict with its inputs. I'm guessing there are so many moves, there is lots of overlap so you need to be very precise. For example, I often get a 1, 2 string instead of 1+2, or I'll get down, down-forward when I just wanted down-forward. Trying to do dash, df+1 and I get f, d, d/f which gives me a crouch-dash upper instead.
    Fighting game player, coder, chilli lover, ruffian.
  • tyler2ktyler2k All-around cool guy Joined: Posts: 24
    Tekken is SO strict with its inputs. I'm guessing there are so many moves, there is lots of overlap so you need to be very precise. For example, I often get a 1, 2 string instead of 1+2, or I'll get down, down-forward when I just wanted down-forward. Trying to do dash, df+1 and I get f, d, d/f which gives me a crouch-dash upper instead.
    Are you trying to plink? Because if so, that's probably why you're 1+2 is coming out 1,2.
    tyler2k.com | tyler2k.info | @tyler2k1
    Co-Author of Prima's TTT2 guide
    TZ mod for Dragunov, Jinpachi, and Raven
  • thecapsaicinkidthecapsaicinkid drops combo, pretends it's a reset Joined: Posts: 1,016
    Are you trying to plink? Because if so, that's probably why you're 1+2 is coming out 1,2.
    No, I'm just not used to performing 2 button motions, or rather 2 button motions which are quite strict (in comparison to say getting an EX in SF). Obviously it has to be strict because of the overlap, If I press 1 on the frame after 2, I should get a 2, 1 (which is a legit string) and not 1+2.
    Fighting game player, coder, chilli lover, ruffian.
  • hyoushiihyoushii EHRMAGERD Joined: Posts: 12

I think I'm going to make a movement thread tonight to help people out with this. Super important. :D

Is your thread about movement available? Coming from 2D I would really like to read that.
    :eek: Funny story. I started it that night and ended at 1:30 in the morning with not everything finished.

The same thing happened the next two nights in a row.

There's a ton of stuff and I don't want it to be too wordy at the same time. I'll promise to try to get it done at the end of the week if people are still interested.
    :eek: Funny story. I started it that night and ended at 1:30 in the morning with not everything finished.

The same thing happened the next two nights in a row.

There's a ton of stuff and I don't want it to be too wordy at the same time. I'll promise to try to get it done at the end of the week if people are still interested.

awesome, I'd love to give it a read. I feel like that was a huge part left out of the guide. It's talked about briefly but not enough that I feel confident moving around.
    :eek: Alright, I'll do my best!
  • IlluminatiIlluminati Gnosis is the law. Gnosis under skill. Joined: Posts: 102
    Updated for the week of 9/24-28
    ^^(;,,; )^^ BB: Arakune, Platinum / GG: Faust, Zappa / P4: Kuma / TTT2: DJ, Hei, Kaz / VS: Zabel (ʳ ´º㉨º)ʳ
  • DEATH™DEATH™ Submit, or else... Joined: Posts: 54
    www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2EE0F0D8F3A68904

byakokoko's tutorial, made on T6 but still highly applicable... Especially the SS/BDC tutorials
    Reading DarryH's post on the front page of SRK makes me realize that I need to write a short guide to understanding Tekken. Not necessarily a tutorial and not necessarily an in-depth look at the game that will go above everyone's head. Instead something that explains Tekken and why you shouldn't really be afraid of a 50+ character roster.
    Reading DarryH's post on the front page of SRK makes me realize that I need to write a short guide to understanding Tekken. Not necessarily a tutorial and not necessarily an in-depth look at the game that will go above everyone's head. Instead something that explains Tekken and why you shouldn't really be afraid of a 50+ character roster.

That sounds like an awesome idea. Personally I am an SF player first, but I'm having a great time taking a rest from that game and learning Tekken. I've played around in training mode with almost the whole cast and checked out pokes, to simple strings as well as where their higher damage moves are and it's been a blast. I like seeing the incremental steps of change I see in my game from knowing how deep it is. Hell, most of my frustration from 2D games came from "I know all the damn moves and pokes and 1 frame links of this char, why can't I win!??!?!?" With Tekken I know theres a lot I need to learn and it's been great to see how far I can get with my simple game and taking it online to then go back to the lab and learn more. If that article does anything, maybe it'll grab more people's attention and draw them into checking out a game outside their comfort zone.
    :eek: 3D generally, but Tekken in particular, have this terrible stigma about them regarding entering the game.

Some of it is true. It's a hard game, straight up.

Some of it comes from the community; the learning curve and all the bullshit you overcome with experience has become a rite of passage in some circles, which is fine, but it sometimes has the potential to become a "new players not allowed because you can't hang" sort of thing, which is never good.

Some of it is just fear. I've been playing Tekken for a short while, not as long as a lot of other people, but I have a great teacher and he never forgets to explain to me how easy I have it with him teaching me and not ten dudes in the arcade taking turns busting my ass while I run out of quarters trying to learn how to block, step and tech. The game is daunting.

It's also very frustrating even at intermediate levels, which can be a turn off to this new generation. But what isn't, honestly?

I think we all just need to be really honest about the game and up front. The chips will fall where they may after that; I'm no Tekken OG, but I think the people who generally love to explore and learn and not stop learning will dive right in and never come back up for air. Lots of people lately have been trying to talk about how they feel about fighters and what they feel a fighter should be like and have and conform to. Granted, we all think things like this about anything we're interested in, but...okay, check this out. I'm at Summer Jam and in the 3D room. One of my buddies is watching another of my friends just totally powderslap kids in DoA5. One of the dudes that's behind my buddy is having a conversation with some other guy. He says, "Man, I'm into these 3D fighters, but none of them have what I need. They feel so floaty and fake; I need an honest one, something totally organic and sound." Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown was playing on two setups right next to him (a perfect description of that game, by the way~).

Similarly, think of what people were clamoring about when Marvel 3 dropped. Everyone was so up in arms about how the new generation unleashed a shitstorm of noobtastic games..."fraud friendly" fighters. People said they wanted something honest and, yes, something with a learning curve and a barrier of entry even if it wasn't that high. King of Fighters XIII drops. Where did all those voices go? They got what they wanted. But they weren't ready. This new generation is just difficult to tap; their attention span is split between so many things and they are so transient between the things they like that it's hard to cater to them without becoming gimmicky. The stream monster culture, the NAH and onrine warrior culture...all these things have a very deep impact on how people who aren't already convinced about a game see it.

Sorry for mashing my keyboard, but I just have very strong feelings regarding this sort of thing and I've been writing some articles on it for a while and whenever I see it, I just have to type. This isn't me bashing 09ers or whatever, by the way. I just call this shit like I see it and damn it all if I'm wrong.
  • XShoryuken 26XShoryuken 26 Joined: Posts: 179
    25% win ratio, god I fucking suck at this game. I just don't understand whiff punishing and frame punishes. I watch LUYG videos and they talk about 11 frame punishes and what not which I still don't get. I feel I'd get better if i could punish things accordingly.
  • BrennanBrennan IT'S NOT A TUNA! Joined: Posts: 1,011

Tyler is an awesome player, really informative on Jinpachi and Draguvon's sections on TZ. If there's anyone that I trust into a good article, it is him.

Come on buddy, don't make us wait.
    ❤~~❤
    TTT2: Alisa/ Ganryu - A.Ogre/Unknown | KoF XIII: Ash - Mature - Vice AH3: Eko
  • Jasin WalravenJasin Walraven Joined: Posts: 298
    Use the claw hold if you play on pad.
    make sure you stretch your hands before and after playing or you are asking for carpel tunnel syndrome
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Eagle will return Joined: Posts: 7,760
    Simply put, I haven't seen a thread for these two yet and I figured I would go ahead and make one. Post any Alex and/or Roger information here! I also have a little poll running to see who is more popular, Alex or Roger.
  • ThirteenthorderThirteenthorder Gloria? Never heard of the girl. #kappa Joined: Posts: 1,349
    While I appreciate the sentiment, a character thread needs to have a little more organization than this. Locking for now, message me and we can discuss further negotiation.
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So this is my second foray into trying to get good at Tekken, last time was 5. I'll try to keep this first post updated with info as soon as I can organize my thoughts and as it rolls in from others.

From what I've read, it seems Raven is pretty good in this game. Most people still consider him a somewhat high risk/reward character, but his mixups are good and his damage is respectable without being too difficult to learn. I know he's got a ton of launchers, quite a few of which are taggable, and a decent array of B! moves.

Information that would be useful to me is what are the best TA fillers and enders and also what to do when I get my opponent against a wall. I also feel like my movement needs to get better. From what I see in replays most players combine things like ssr canceled to d/b with his u/b ~ b back handspring. Is this basically it?

Starting off with some basic info courtesy of TZ

RAVEN BASICS

Overview:
    -High risk, high reward character
    -Heavy 50/50-based (mix-ups) gameplay

Stances:
    SDW: b+3+4
    HAZ: 3+4

Pokes:
    1,2 (i10)
    WS 4 (i11, do this out of CD)
    d/b+2 (i13, SDW)
    d/f+1 (i14)
    3,3 (i14, 2nd hit can be ducked on block)
    f+2 (i15)
    d+3
    FC 3 (Can be launch-punished on block, do this out of CD)

Homing Moves:
    f+3 (SDW by holding b, has NC KND/W! extension f+3,2)
    u+3 (+2, high)
    f,f+4 (-10)
    WS 3+4 (-14)

Misc:
    d/b+4 (-11~-14)
    b,b+2
    u/f+4
    1+2
    b+1

SDW:
    b+2,4
    f+2,4 (2nd hit can be ducked on block)
    1+2 (-10)
    d+3

Punishment (stand):
    -10: 1,2; 2,3; 2,4
    -12: 4,1
    -13: d/b+2,1
    -14: 3,3
    -15: 1+2; b+2,4; f+2,3
    -16: d/f+2; 4~3

Punishment (crouch):
    -11: WS 4
    -13: WS 2
    -14: WS 1
    -23: u/f,n,4

Punishment (whiff):
    f,f+3
    4~3
    d/f+2 (SDW)
    1+2

Launchers:
    WS 1 (-14, can be done out of CD, tag bufferable)
    WS 2 (CH only)
    3~4 (SDW)
    4~3 (-15)
    f,f+3 (-14)
    f,f,n,3+4 (CH only)
    d/f+2 (SDW)
    d/f+3 (CH only)
    CD+1 (CH only)
    CD+2 (-17)
    CD+3 (tag bufferable)
    CD+4 (-14, tag bufferable)
    SDW 3+4 (-16, tag bufferable)
    SDW d+3 (-24)
    SDW b+2,3 (-16, CH only, tag bufferable)
    SDW f,f+3+4 (-22, SDW)
    HAZ 1 (CH only)
    HAZ 3 (SDW, CH only)

Bounds:
    b+1
    b+4,4
    u/b+1,2
    SDW f+2,3
    HAZ 4

Bounds: (less useful)
    b+1+2,2
    (b+4,B+4~3),f+4~3
    (f+3+4,)f+4~3
    (u/b_u+3,d+3),3
    (d/f+4,4),3
    SDW (3,4),3

Tag Assault Fillers: (open field)
    u/f+4,4 (generic TA! by holding 5)
    b+3+4~SDW 3+4
    b+1+2,2
    f,f+3
    b+2,2,3

Tag Assault Fillers: (at wall)
    u/f+4,4 (generic TA! by holding 5)
    u+3,d+3,3 (perpendicular W!)
    u+3,4
    b+1+2,3
    b+2,2,3

Enders:
    f,f+4
    f+2,3
    b+2,4
    SDW b+2,4

Wall Enders:
    f+3+4,4,2
    f+3+4,3+4 (for low opponent post TA!)
    b+2,2,3
    1,2, 1+2
    SDW b+2, SDW 1+2

Tag Outs:
    HAZ 5
    2+4~5
    UT~5 (With Yoshimitsu/Kunimitsu as a tag partner only)

Parries/Auto-Parries:
    b+2+4
    b+1+3
    b,b+2
    1+2
    d+1+2
    3,3,B+4~B
    qcf+1+2
    SDW 1+2
    SDW f+1+2

Misc Info:
    - You can cancel CD into any diagonal directional move (Eg: d/f+1, d/b+2, u/f+4, etc)
    - You can cancel CD into WS by inputting CD as follows: d,D/F~n
    - UT (HCB,F+1+2, throw) can be buffered out of some moves.
    - You can sidestep and/or dash forward between UT input (between HCB and F+1+2)
    - b,b+2 has an auto-reversal window. Experiment with using it after safe strings.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,699
    make sure you stretch your hands before and after playing or you are asking for carpel tunnel syndrome
    Or just don't press so hard.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
    Reserved
    Reserved
    Reserved
    Tyler is an awesome player, really informative on Jinpachi and Draguvon's sections on TZ. If there's anyone that I trust into a good article, it is him.

Come on buddy, don't make us wait.
    I wish it was as easy as just writing it, but I do put a lot of experimental, practical, and forum research into everything I write, so I try not to just "chug" things out (I missed the day 1 bandwagon of YT videos, mostly because of their invisible policy change regarding tutorial videos and monetization) but I definitely appreciate hearing that people do actually read my articles :P

With that being said, I have a ton of ideas that I want to get on "paper" and (like I said on my site) I really want to create a super in-depth mechanics and system guide for TTT2. Something any skill level player could refer to and most likely find whatever they're looking for, i.e.

"I wonder how impact frames work in Tekken"

<Goes to Frame Data section>
    • Intro/Basics
    • In-Depth/Technical Info
    • Impact Frames
    • Active Frames
    • Guard Frames
    • NH Frames/CH Frames
    • "Whiff" Frames
    <Clicks Impact Frames>

In the section it'll talk about how impact frames work, why some attacks may vary (dependent on range, which leads into Active Frames), etc.

"Huh, so what's Active Frames?"

<Clicks Active Frames>

And so on and so forth. Everything would be designed to be interconnected and as such would be designed to be consumed digitally. You could indirectly find information you're looking for without actually knowing the technical term. Or hell, you might find information that you weren't looking for that will improve your game simply because you'll understand it better. It's a very ambitious project and is being designed to be complete, as such people have to understand that this isn't something that can be completely (correctly) over the course of a few weeks. This was my original intention for Project 62, but I got picked up to be on the Prima team and the e-book was put on hold.

With THAT being said, I first want to put out what I originally said in this thread. A non-technical explanation of Tekken, something to help shed light on mechanics in Tekken that seem overbearing at first, but are easy to grasp once a few "truths" are realized. I want to release that first, but I need to find the time to sit down and write it.
  • MillefuneMillefune Unskilled Joined: Posts: 29
    This thread is great. Thank you all who posted information and discussed the game. I have a question, though. From the research I've done, it seems that the Korean players are the "ones to beat or follow," and they prefer the pad over the stick. I was thinking of going with stick, since the dashing and moving seems easier that way, but if the best Tekken players are using the pad and out-maneuvering the stick players, I'd rather not waste my time learning how to use a stick. So should I bother learning to use a stick for this game?
  • Hyun SaiHyun Sai Joined: Posts: 530

I highly doubt Koreans use pad as they play almost exclusively in arcade...

Anyway, Tekken is definitely playable on pad, no need to switch if you're confortable with it.

Basically, if you don't plan to compete in Korea or Japan, don't bother.
  • darkanimator97darkanimator97 FGC Spectator Joined: Posts: 34
    when i play online, most players can just easily teabag with the lamest stuff. like pauls d,df,f 2. it amazes me how people can get away so easily with that stuff.
  • |Galen||Galen| In iWS1 I trust! Joined: Posts: 230
    This thread has a lot of good info but it's scattered throughout. Has anyone thought of consolidating it into a few posts in a new thread or even take over the first few posts of this thread?
  • SirMixahLotSirMixahLot Proud Shoryuken.com member since 2003 Joined: Posts: 3,379
    edited July 2013
    |Galen| wrote: »
    This thread has a lot of good info but it's scattered throughout. Has anyone thought of consolidating it into a few posts in a new thread or even take over the first few posts of this thread?

True story.
    I'm just glad it's only 3 pages.
    tataki wrote: »
    I placed 1st in the T5 nationals of my country, and placed 2nd in the T6 nationals. I know how to play this game.

I'll add info to the first post as I feel like it.
    The guide Aris posted on his website is good but I want to look at it from a different approach of understanding the principles behind the game aka what happens when all the rules connect together aka the bigger picture.

Golden rule #1-
    When in doubt, block high. Which means you'll be blocking high most of the time. If you think you know what the opponent is going to do, do the solution for it. You don't need to actually remember frames. You just remember how the move looks like, and what move deals with it.
    Golden rule #2-
    Everything comes down to risk/reward ratio. That is also the reason for rule #1, since mid attacks are low risk high reward, and low attacks are higher risk lower reward.
    To compare to 2D games, you poke poke poke(=3D mid), and to keep them honest you mix in a walk up throw once in a while.(=3D lows)
    Golden rule #3-
    The flow of the game is usually "I attack, then you attack, then I attack again" so all you need to think about is the opponent's next move. There's less emphasis on overall situation in the match, because one good prediction is all you need to turn the tables. That is why at the highest levels of play, you also see fewer launchers and big moves. People mostly play with the smallest, safest pokes, exactly because they require more effort and prediction from the opponent to be punished.
    Golden rule #4-
    Don't be impulsive after a knockdown. It's easy to abuse someone who tries to rollback/get up/whatever the 1st chance he gets. Try staying on the floor and mix not just "how" you get up but also "when". Also, eating a hit on the ground allows you to get up safely after it, and escape from a scary mixup on wakeup, so it's a nice sacrifice to consider.
    Golden rule #5-
    Don't expect to NOT get random'ed out in tournaments. In 2D games you can "do your thing" easier and you don't need to have matchup knowledge to deal with simple scrubs. Not so much in Tekken. You'll eat random shit and lose to moves just because you are not used to seeing them.
    So let's say you played some casuals vs a Christie player and lost horribly. You go back to training mode and let the CPU do the moves he used. You learn how to block them, and look for holes. (punishable on block? easily parried? can be side stepped? can stuff an attack in the middle of the string? can duck the 2nd hit? etc. etc.)
    So focus on learning the game one opponent character at a time.
    Illuminati wrote: »
    Just having a quick access for Tutorials Videos... will be updating with new content when available.

Level Up Your Game
    Basics

Intermediate 1 of 2

Intermediate 2 of 2

Combos

Jinpachi

True Orge

Forest Law

Jun Kazama

Paul Phoenix

Prototype Jack

Alex

Avoiding The Puddle
    Rage & Tag Crash

How to Tag Crash

Raw Tag Safety

Evasive Raw Tag

Spaceing/Whiff Punishing

Throw Breaks Training & Theory

Stun Breaks

Universal Low Parry

Defensive Play Styles

Inbound Running Move

Beating Solo with Teams

Practice Mode

Korean Back Dash Part 1

Korean Back Dash Part 2

Button Buffering

Frame Data

BlackPriest
    Backdash Cancel

HitBoxes
    Movement Cancelling & SOCD's
    tyler2k wrote: »
    I actually have a decent amount of tutorial videos as well, most are created at the end of T6's life, but are still very valid for TTT2 and I also intertwined hybrid. I'll be producing TTT2 tutorial videos next week.

I'll be putting out a lot of TTT2 videos for Hit Box users. There's also good info for pad/stick players alike.

UPDATE: Just Frames - OTGF/JFSR, EWGF

Mishima Wavedash
    I'll preface all of this by saying Tekken in a nutshell is just movement, throw breaks and punishment. Don't get overwhelmed trying to learn everything at once. Take it one step at a time.

Just as a reminder:
    1 - Left Punch
    2 - Right Punch
    3 - Left Kick
    4 - Right Kick
    5 - Tag

I'll borrow this gif from AAK since it's the best gif in existence:
    uPGJf.gif

Tekken introduction by AAK:

Unit 1: Basics
    Unit 2: Types of Attacks
    Unit 3: Maximizing Damage
    Unit 4: Crush System and Okizeme
    Unit 5: Tag System

Tekken Zaibatsu wiki:
    http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/wiki/Tekken_Tag_Tournament_2

Level Up Your Game Tutorial Videos:

Beginner:
    Intermediate (1/2):
    Intermediate (2/2):
    Combos:

These are older vids from Tekken 6 but they still apply. They go over some of the same concepts as above. But it doesn't hurt to hear about the system mechanics rephrased, especially if you're
    completely new. IMO, their older walkthrough on the wakeup system was better

Level Up Your Game - Tekken 6 - Episode1 - Part 1 of 5
    Level Up Your Game - Tekken 6 - Episode1 - Part 2 of 5
    Level Up Your Game - Tekken 6 - Episode1 - Part 3 of 5
    Level Up Your Game - Tekken 6 - Episode1 - Part 4 of 5
    Level Up Your Game - Tekken 6 - Episode1 - Part 5 of 5
    Level Up Your Game - Tekken 6 - Episode2

Tekken basics guide on Tekken Zaibatsu

Iron Fist 101: The Competitors Guide to Playing Tekken

Lesson 1: how to have fun playing tekken, SELECTING A CHARACTER & what's the most valuable
    Lesson 2: Game Plan

TTT2 Tekken Force Beginners Guide
    http://www.tekkenforce.net/descargas/TTT2 - Beginner Guide.pdf

(same guide different format)
    http://imgur.com/a/FX896#0

Avoiding the Puddle Tutorials
    TTT2 Throw Break Training and Theory
    TTT2 Double Over and Nosebleed Stun
    TTT2 Raw Tag Safety Tutorial
    TTT2 Rage and Tag Crash Tutorial
    Movement Tutorial for Tekken 6 and TTT2 Part 1: The Basics
    Movement Tutorial for TTT2 and Tekken 6 Part 2: Advanced
    Tekken 6 and TTT2 Instant While Running Tutorial
    TTT2 Universal Low Parry Tutorial
    TTT2 Inbound While Running Tutorial

Tekken Gameplay System by INSOMNOTEK

Neorussell's T6 tutorial vids:
    T6 BR: Character Stances
    Tekken 6: BR - The Art Of Low Parry
    Tekken 6: The Art of Standing Properly

Byakokoko's T6 tutorial vids:
    Tekken 6 - Throw Breaking 101
    Tekken 6 BR - Sidestepping 101 & Backdash Canceling
    Tekken 6 BR - Low Parry 101
    Tekken 6 BR - When to low parry
    Tekken 6 BR - Wavedash Tutorial & Tips For Jin
    Tekken 6 BR - Tech Traps & Okizemes

TheMainManPROGAMING's tutorials
    Punishing
    Movement
    Wavedash

tyler2k1 tutorials
    Throw System introduction (part 1)
    Throw System introduction (part 2)
    Hit Confirm tutorial
    Instant While Standing (iWS) tutorial

Back Dash Tutorial by Blackpriest
    TTT2/Tekken6 Combo All Characters iWS tutorial / Alisa neta

This was taken from Shinkuur's post in the original Tekken forums. I don't think he minds if I post it here:
    The Tekken Zaibatsu Jargon Dictionary-List of Tekken terms and forum speak in general.
    The Tekken Zaibatsu Legend Page-Shorthand of Tekken controls, movements, and positions

Links and Resources:

Tekken Zaibatsu-Tekken's equivalent of SRK.

SDTekken-You all should know this site by now. Your up to date source for news regarding Tekken, fighting games in general, and Arcade sticks. Also updates frequently with youtube matches from Japanese/Korean/American players.

Rip's Throw Break Trainer: If you wanna learn how to break throws this is a great way to learn! The break window is a little smaller than the actual window so it's actually a better way to train than doing it on the actual game. Give it a try!

Levelupyourgame and Avoidingthepuddle: Best resources when it comes to getting aggregated Tekken news.

Random tips (paraphrased):
    Sabin: So coming from a 2d background, what do you think is the first thing your should learn?
    Bloodhawk: You find two characters you like, you research videos and you find out what good moves they're using. Because even like the smallest movelest in this game is like 60-70 moves.
    Sabin: So generally it's going to be around 5-10 moves that you will always use.
    Bloodhawk: And then you got 10-15 more that are situational. So you gotta cut down your movelist and focus on the good stuff. So after you got the good moves and you learn what they're for and how people are using them. You get your combos down into your muscle memory.
    Sabin: What's a good way to learn defense in this game?
    Bloodhawk: I like the practice mode in this game. When ever you tag the training dummy in practice mode whenever they're not in neutral basically, the punish icon comes up, so you can know whether you whiff punished or block punished something successfully.
    http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/331988559

One of the ways I kind of practice breaking throws, is I actually go out and watch a bunch of videos...so you're just watching the game as it naturally does it. So in your head, you'll see a throw and in your head recognize "that's a 1 throw, that's a 1+2 throw" and you just start seeing it.

Given that the tips are about looking at videos...
    Youtube resources:

http://www.youtube.com/user/S8M9E2JX/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Timsozai/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ShintairikuKumagaya
    http://www.youtube.com/user/KimChanYang/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TekkenCrashS2/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TekkenReplays
    http://www.youtube.com/user/l0rds1lv3r
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kay9070
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cyfren
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeHeroes/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GuntamaMiraclein/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/xfile9138
    http://www.youtube.com/user/zero3japan/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GAMEacho/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AvoidingthePuddle/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/LevelUpYourGame

For now if you want to learn about a specific character, go to the character specific forums on ZB:
    http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=198

I'll update/reorganize/add stuff later.

More from Shinkuur (look at this IMO after going through the stuff in the post above):

Basic Control Terms:

While Standing(WS)-Neutral while full crouching + button(s):
    An attack that comes out while you are standing up from crouching. Usually hits mid.

Full Crouch(FC)-Hold D until your character fully finishes their crouch animation:
    There is difference between low attacks and full crouching attacks, and if you aren't fully crouched before you attempt the move it will not come out. Let's take Bruce's FC, df,d,df+4 for example.

d+4: standard low kick
    FC, d/f, d, d/f+4: slower low that gives advantage on normal hit, knocks down on CH.
    d, d/f, d, d/f+4: standard low kick.

Instant While Standing(iWS)-d, d/b_d/f, N+button(s):
    This is the way to get WS attacks to come out without having to full crouch, giving you access to all your WS moves instantly. If you are messing up the input make sure not to push b_f during the motion.

Instant While Running(iWR)-f,f while recovering from an attack:
    It's almost the same running command as normal, but you want to buffer the two forwards at the end of your character's attack so when the animation ends they will dash instantly.

Instant Shining Wizard(iSW)-f,f,f+2+4(King, A.King, and Lars only)
    It's the same as iWR, but you press the last forward when you start dashing and whatever buttons.

Natural Combo(NC)
    A string of attacks that are guarenteed without the need for a counter. Examples are Kazuya's 1,1,2(if you don't delay it) and Bruce's 2,4.

Natural Combo on Counter(NCc)
    A string of attacks that are guarenteed only when the first attack is a counter hit. An example is Julia's 1,1,1 .

Bound(B!)
    A move that slams them on the ground and bounces them up a bit, allowing you to continue a juggle. The most common method to inflict bound status is to do a move in a juggle that slams them down(like Nina's 1+4). In BR all low parries give bound status. Also, there is a limit on one bound per juggle, so the maximum juggles involve launch->bound-> W!. NOTE: in certain stages(Graveyard, Fallen Colony, etc) there are parts of the ground that you can slam your opponent through by bounding them on those sections. After you both land from the fall you can follow up with attacks like normal.

Wall Splat(W!)
    A move that slams them against the wall, allowing you to follow up with several hits before they fall down. Can be achieved in juggles as well as when your opponent is on the ground, and usually by an attack that will knock them backwards. If you W! someone without achieving a bound in the juggle previously, you can use a bound move after a W! then finish the wall combo. NOTE: in one stage(the one that changes the time of day) the walls can be destroyed or broken by hitting a W! opponent with a strong impact move, such as Paul's Deathfist. In which case, it does a little damage to your opponent.

Crouch Cancel(cc)-f,f while crouching
    Allows you to cancel your crouching animation quickly with a dash so you can do a move that only works while you are standing up. You can also do this by pushing u to SS or b,b to backdash depending on what move you want.

Let's take Lee's uf+4 for example, a very quick knee that launches on normal hit so it's treated like a hopkick. Normally characters can do a hopkick while crouching just by using the basic uf+4, but Lee also has a special WC, u/f +4 which does a really high flipkick that knocks down. The input for the flipkick will get in the way of getting the knee out when you want to, so using crouch cancelling will bypass the crouching movement altogether.

u/f+4=knee launcher
    WC, u/f+4=flipkick
    WC, f,f~u/f+4=knee launcher

Special Movement Terms:

Light Dash-Wave dash extremely fast
    Faster inputing of the wave dash motion, nothing more. You don't need it to be a great Mishima/King/etc player and its not worth the work required for you to master(WD mastery will be enough and it will move you father more often than not), but it'll scare the shit out of you.

Hayashida Step-{qcb, u}(only works with a character who can backsway(Nina, Bryan, Paul))
    Cancel a character's backsway with up, then repeat as necessary. This motion is a good way to back away from an opponent since the motion for the backsway may mess up your BDC input. If done right you will move towards the background in a zigzag motion.

Haha Step-{b+3+4~b}(Lei only)
    Cancel's Lei's backturn into b and repeat, causing him to backstep really far. If you do this the proper way you won't even see the backturn animation and he'll be far across the screen in about a second. Hard to master but worth it to learn, especially on non walled stages.

Side Step Cancel(SS cancel)-{b, d/b, d}_{b,u/b, u}
    Cancel's a character's SS into itself, causing you to kinda glide across the screen to one side. A lot faster than a basic SS, but only really useful when you are trying to bait an attack or trying to change position.

Character Stances (watch this video first):

NOTE: I'm not going to tell you the commands of each stances, or even list every stance here(the character threads can do that), but I will tell you the notations and properties for the important stances. I'm omitting the T6 characters right now since I haven't personally played it yet, if anyone has detailed info on the new character's stances let me know so I can add.

Handstand(HSP)-Eddy/Christie

Stands on his hand with his legs stretched out, which ends up increasing his range and startup speed when doing certain attacks(such as HSP 4). However, Eddy can not SS at all during this(he can lean to the sides and transition to other attacks that way though) and his speed is overall very slow, so in high level play you won't see this unless its a transition from another attack.

Relaxed(RLX)-Eddy/Christie

Lays down on his back face up feet towards(FUFT), avoiding highs and a good number of mids. The scary thing about this stance is the speed of it and it's mixup potential(RLX 4~3 hits low and can be juggled after, RLX 3~4 hits mid and can be juggled after too), plus it can be used as a oki setup as well. You can jump over him to avoid the mixups or hit him before he starts the mixup with a mid or low(if he doesn't have advantage), but regardless fighting a capo with RLX mastery is a scary thing indeed.

Art of Phoenix(AOP)-Ling Xiayou

Ducks down really low, avoiding all highs and alot of mids. It's faster than RLX plus she can mixup alot of attacks from it including launchers, so it's a great evasion/punishment technique. Plus it auto SSR during activation, so you'll usually see Ling players do SSR~AOP to evade alot of your attacks and put you off axis.

Rain Dance Stance(RDS)-Ling Xiayou

Turns around so her back is facing you. She is very dangerous in this stance since she has more options than almost everyone else in this position(including strong launchers and ambiguous throws). She also auto SSR during this stance so SSR~RDS is a danger.

Note: she can also switch from AOP to RDS and back again at will.

Flamingo Stance(FLA/RFF or LFF)-Baek/Hwoarang

Raises up his leg and folds it in a pre-emptive kicking stance, used to transfer between different attacks between strings and apply pressure. You move back and forth slightly but you can SS pretty well with it(Baek's is much better than Hwoarang's though)

Vale Tudo Stance(VTS)-Craig Marduk

Ducks his body down in a football type stance, which evades high attacks. This is the principal way for him to tackle people, but he can also do other attacks from this stance such as launchers and tripping lows. His mobility is quite good in this stance as he can SS pretty fast and can activate the stance while moving backwards, but his actual tackle attempt is pretty slow.

Dragon Sign Stance(DSS)-Marshall Law

Stands still and shakes his body Bruce Lee-ish. Allows him to do certain attacks and throws from the stance, And he can also go into the stance from attacks such as ws+4 and 4,3. Used mostly for mixups and juggle enders.

Hitman Stance(HMS)-Lee Chaolan

Puts his left foot back and waves his hands in a come hither stance. Cannot move back and forward during the stance but has a very evasive SS during it, and can go into several strong knockdown attacks and launchers. Can also be transitioned into by several attacks.

Chaos Judgement AKA Cat Stance(CMJ or CAT)-Anna Williams

Lifts left leg off the ground and folds it like flamingo or something. Auto reverses lows and throws in this stance, plus can go into some attacks(mostly short ranged ones). Movement is only limited to a front roll that can go into a mid kick.

Animal Stances(SNA, DGN, PAN, TGR, CRA)-Lei Wulong

Special stances that can not only go into alot of strong 50/50 options and/or pokes, but can grant other bonuses such as auto parries and evasion of certain attacks. Lei can also go into these types of stances and transition between them using certain attacks and sidestepping.

Notes:

-Tech Jump=Low Crush and Tech Crouch=High Crush. The definitions of TJ and TC are in Xiang's FAQ, but you may see the term 'Crush' instead of 'Tech' and get confused, so this is to clarify that.

-Crouch Dashes can duck under high attacks towards the end of the animation, works better if you hold d/f(otherwise you may stand up into an attack)

-There isn't really such a thing as 'Normals' and "normal strengths' as there are in SF. There are some differences in 1,2,3, and 4 though. 1's are usually the fastest attacks that your character has, and you'll use it to start jab strings. 2's are usually slower but they often go into NC attacks(like Jin's 2,4 or his 2,1) or can go into special stances or properties(like Julia's 2~b or Ling's 2,1). 3's are usually slower than 4's but will more often knock down on normal hit, while 4's usually can grant some type of juggle chance on CH. d+1 and d+2 are similar(d+1 is a bit faster but has less range than d+2), but where d+4 hits low, d+3 hits grounded low. This means d+3 will hit even if you are laying on the ground, while d+4 will only hit if you're standing or trying to recover off the ground. Of course, this will differ based on the character that you're using.

-Most regular running tackles can be broken by pushing 2, however some characters have special tackles that require different breaks or you can't break at all. Those will be covered in that character's threads.

ShinkuuR's rule of thumb on wakeup game (watch this first):

Tech Roll:
    -wins against: linear ground attacks(such as stomps)
    -loses against: Tech traps, tech mixups(gotta guess), cross ups
    -advice: This is the most common type of wake up, but you will at least always have to guess when tech rolling next to someone. Most useful after getting hit with something that knocks you back.

Back Roll:
    -wins against: linear ground attacks, tech setups and traps(will whiff more than likely)
    -loses against: up close mids(will re-float you allowing another juggle)
    -advice: The most dangerous type of wakeup, since you can get rejuggled for free. Do if mostly after attacks that have auto backroll properties.

Kip Tech:
    -wins against: may go over lows with good timing, may interrupt mids if fast enough
    -loses against: whiff(leaves you open for launchers)
    -advice: This is most useful if used rarely and if the opponent is spaced out from you a bit, since it tends to interrupt alot of attacks on startup. Its safe on block and gives a small advantage on hit.

Kip up Attack:b+3+4
    -wins against: lows(hops over them)
    -loses against: blocking, SW, mids during the beginning frames.
    -advice: This is really hard to beat during it's active frames as it's range would stuff almost everything, but it's at least -10 on block. It's also sidewalkable. There are different versions of this depending of the character that are safer or they rise differently(this info is for the basic Kip up Attack).

Diving Attack:f+1+2_b,f+1+2
    -wins against: most attacks done at the same time
    -loses against: SW
    -advice: Diving attacks are mostly for repositioning purposes after a knockdown and as a (poor) mixup after a forward or backroll. If you make them block the attack late in the animation you will get advantage, but if not it's punishable. It's hard to counter after the move comes out, but the fact that you have to forward or back roll first to use it puts you at a huge risk.

Ankle Kick:d+4 when FUFT
    -wins against: highs, most mids
    -loses against: blocking, SS, hopkicks
    -advice: This is the fastest attack you have to wakeup with, but on block you will get punished(possibly launched). You're even on hit though and you can wake up safely.

Mid kick:
    -wins against: low crouch, slow attacks
    -loses against: whiff, block
    -advice:around -12 on block. You will get launched on whiff. Knocks down.

Low kick:
    -wins against: highs, most mids
    -loses against: whiff, block, hopkicks
    -advice: Allows juggle on CH. Around -12 on block. You will get launched on whiff lol.

In general just be real cafeful about get up kicking. You won't get terribly hurt on block. but you will lose 40% on whiff.

Standing up:
    -wins against: Non guaranteed oki(stomps, etc)
    -loses against: certain attacks will cause juggle state.
    -advice: This is one of the safest options that you have since it can avoid alot of oki options and allow you to block a direction after standing, but you can get juggled with attacks during certain frames of the standing. Plus it hard for you to switch your block in reaction to an attack until you completely recover. Lets say, if you stand up and Julia is spacing you with 4~2,1 and you hold d/b to block it during the animation, if she swiches to f,f+3 you won't be able to block it if they time it right IIRC.

*make sure to tap 2 during quickstand to recover quicker*

Lay down:
    -wins against: attempted tech traps, refloats, etc.
    -loses against: grounded attacks
    -advice: This is the safest option you have to wake up in Tekken. While you do open yourself to strong ground attacks like stomps, you aren't at risk to eat anything more damaging and you can usually tech roll safely afterwards. If they whiff something then just quickstand.

Side Roll
    -wins against: most ground attacks if done early
    -loses against: Bad guessing
    -advice: This is also another safe way to get up(although slower), especially when you're near the wall. The bad thing is that after the roll you end up in a worse defensive position(I think you end up face down if you were face up before), so if you guess wrong and they see the roll, then can oki you and make it generally harder to get up.

Post edited by SirMixahLot on
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • SubjectiveSubjective Joined: Posts: 171
    Millefune wrote: »
    This thread is great. Thank you all who posted information and discussed the game. I have a question, though. From the research I've done, it seems that the Korean players are the "ones to beat or follow," and they prefer the pad over the stick. I was thinking of going with stick, since the dashing and moving seems easier that way, but if the best Tekken players are using the pad and out-maneuvering the stick players, I'd rather not waste my time learning how to use a stick. So should I bother learning to use a stick for this game?
    Like someone else mentioned, Koreans generally play in arcades, and in fact use a type of stick that has a 'lever' or 'bat' instead of a balltop. http://madcatz.com/korean-style-joystick-offers-new-fightstick-possibilities/

Many of the best North American players use a Dualshock 3 pad, a few use stick (I don't think the pad players use claw for the face buttons either).
  • DEADEA Joined: Posts: 3
    TTT2: SE (defense):

13»