Hacking the ST rom...

Comments

• oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    The bug is the same with Cammy's Hooligan Combination: you have to delay the button press by one frame. If you do it at the same time, weird things happen, which I don't recall anymore. It is described somewhere in this forum section.
  • blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072
    edited July 2013
    Born2SPD wrote: »
    In that video, the bug happened because for some odd reason only thefirst throbox connected. A very simple fix for this is to just use a full screen sized throwbox for the second one, i believe.

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks for that.

What would it look like if the 2nd throwbox was full screen range? If you could turn on the throwboxes script and show us which hitboxes you're talking about, that would be appreciated, thanks. I'm really curious about this.
  • Born2SPDBorn2SPD SPD Fanatic Joined: Posts: 276
    edited July 2013
    Just notice that, after the super flash, another throwbox of the same size appears. As for showing the actual hitboxes, if you want i can send a hacked rom file with that so you can see it yourself
    I keep reading stuff about ST revival, about bringing this game back to life...
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
  • blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072
    Zangief_super.png

Is this the second throwbox you're talking about? (That's the hitbox image for Atomic Buster, taken from ST Wiki.)
    They have the same size, so yeah, the second throwbox is like that.
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
  • jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,227
    After a little break still need to finsh some lua scripts but that is for other games. But I decided to experiment a bit.

I decided to switched the one of N.Sagat's branches to Gief's branches. I was expecting a garbled mess or gief to appear for a few seconds to do a lariat. What happened when I pushed the Punch lariat what ever move I did last even if it was a super would be performed(if no special was done it would do LP Tiger shot).

Also, looking at other games st, ssf2, hsf2(ST and SSF2 characters only) are the only times they used constants for the special inputs.

I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum

[8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games

• JizzonJizzon ...or Thenarus, whichever. Joined: Posts: 650
    Based on what you've said, it sounds like that or something very similar would be the culprit behind the reversal bugs. Awesome work you guys are doing, by the way! Looks like I need to stop playing with the old ST rom and work with the Phoenixed version.
    edited July 2013
    I forgot all about the reversal bug, but yeah that could be it.

Edit:
    Holy shit editing moves in the other games is easy.
    http://i.imgur.com/dTHIBQJ.jpg
    That bit there makes all qcfs into back forward back.
    That is the problem with it that you either have to tell it to load from some where else(by adding to a3) or you edit all of them.
    Post edited by jedpossum on

I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum

Jizzon wrote: »
    Looks like I need to stop playing with the old ST rom and work with the Phoenixed version.
    That or you could look at mame's source and write a decrypter and encrypter tool. I thought about doing it, apparently its just a simple feistel cipher (similar to DES cipher, but a lot simpler) but that would not be fun todo, so i wont waste my free time on it.

jedpossum, what are you doing for DKC3? Fan of the series here.
    edited July 2013
    No, I was looking at the script for the lua commands on Bizhawk. Pasky made that script anyway.
    I'm working on endless duel and that sailor moon fighter on the sfc.

Yeah, not a good conversion.

• eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,720
    The sound conversion sounds like it just plays two audio files at the same time O.o
    The double probably is two sonic on the samples like MvC2 (Which is where I got the sample from) has Sonic and Sonic Boom.
    Majority of the problems is where the samples are out of place.

• -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276
    edited August 2013
    is any chance to edit the rom so a diferent stage is chosen for each match? u know, ala HDremix
    <blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!
    Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
    It would take a rewrite how stages are done in the game.

It's to get the character order for arcade mode. Then load it to the Ram check which match out of the 16 slots you're at. Then load the match and then load the stage.

• UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,171
    Does the gief bug really need to be fixed? I mean it doesn't really affect gameplay THAT much and its pretty damn rare. I love my wtf moments in ST.
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    Does the gief bug really need to be fixed? I mean it doesn't really affect gameplay THAT much and its pretty damn rare. I love my wtf moments in ST.
    It does break a few match-ups, and it can be punished very hard if baited, since the resulting running bear grab has huge recovery, but the vastly more important issue is that it makes the game retarded. One must guess among jump/hop/invulnerability "for no reason" or stand still after every blow you land and every time he wakes up. It's just plain annoying.
    edited October 2013
    It fixes the Honda mathcup though (LOL)
    From the looks of the akuma hack looks he just edited regular akuma to use the boss moves with a nice touch to load the palette from the opening.

It does break a few match-ups, and it can be punished very hard if baited, since the resulting running bear grab has huge recovery, but the vastly more important issue is that it makes the game retarded. One must guess among jump/hop/invulnerability "for no reason" or stand still after every blow you land and every time he wakes up. It's just plain annoying.

I was talking about the FAB bug. Not the o gief reversal bug. Which only exists in the world version.

The FAB bug doesn't really affect gameplay. And has that huge wtf moment which I love.
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,720
    I assume you guys are referring to the fact that FAB won't come out, even if properly executed?
    edited October 2013
    I think he means the one bug where the first grab misses yet and the second one lands which makes it that the opponent could still move. Which was explained on this very page.

• papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    jedpossum wrote: »
    From the looks of the akuma hack looks he just edited regular akuma to use the boss moves with a nice touch to load the palette from the opening.

That portrait is so much better than both 3s and sf4 (in both cases he looks like a retard)
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
    QmZYt1R.png
    Yeah, I guess they didn't want him to look like a boss anymore.

• JizzonJizzon ...or Thenarus, whichever. Joined: Posts: 650
    Nice! Is it possible to change Sarah in the system data to either Akuma or Gouki, then assign it to him?
  • felinekifelineki Joined: Posts: 981
    edited October 2013
    Jizzon said:
    Nice! Is it possible to change Sarah in the system data to either Akuma or Gouki, then assign it to him?
    You'd have to draw a new graphic for that, the character name labels are really just graphics with no real "text" data behind them. BTW: here's that latest Shin Akuma patch: http://www1.axfc.net/uploader/so/3008824 Password is "neogeo" (needs to be put in the text field before pressing the grey button).
    "The Hammer Bros. Suit was more broken than O. Sagat, AHVB, and CotA Magneto put together." -specs

"I always thought that O. Sagat, AHVB, and CotA Magneto were just aspects of the Hammer Bros. Suit, broken down in several pieces in order to keep the universe from breaking." -Wellman
    edited October 2013
    Wonder if there is a font that would look decent for that already in the game.

• felinekifelineki Joined: Posts: 981
    The 16x16 system font matches the lifebar names, so creating a new lifebar name should be easy. The larger, italic name labels for the select and VS screens would be a bit more difficult. You could cut and paste together letters out of the existing ones, but none of the other characters' names start with "A", so there's no large "A" to start Akuma with. You'd have to try and draw a new one.
    "The Hammer Bros. Suit was more broken than O. Sagat, AHVB, and CotA Magneto put together." -specs

"I always thought that O. Sagat, AHVB, and CotA Magneto were just aspects of the Hammer Bros. Suit, broken down in several pieces in order to keep the universe from breaking." -Wellman
    Yeah the 16x16 is good enough.

As for art.
    I wonder when somebody will redraw the hud portraits to work with the character palettes.

felineki wrote: »
    The 16x16 system font matches the lifebar names, so creating a new lifebar name should be easy. The larger, italic name labels for the select and VS screens would be a bit more difficult. You could cut and paste together letters out of the existing ones, but none of the other characters' names start with "A", so there's no large "A" to start Akuma with. You'd have to try and draw a new one.

Yes, the system font should do, but just for fun, going with cutting and pasting, you could opt for the Japanese Gouki. None of those letters are missing =).

edited October 2013
    jedpossum wrote: »
    Yeah the 16x16 is good enough.

As for art.
    I wonder when somebody will redraw the hud portraits to work with the character palettes.

I would imagine that would be very difficult if it were not an intended feature to begin with. You would either have to program in the palette key for each character OR redraw all the images... But then you would have to reprogram the game to select a different portrait for each palette

Not that it would be impossible though. The thing is both of those tasks would be very trivial if we had access to the source code (just cut and paste/modify/call the code in the character select screen). The problem lies in needing to reverse engineer the HUD and bytecode to make meaningful changes

Modifying existing values and references (what's been done so far) is much more doable than creating and inserting new code.
    edited October 2013
    It's mainly a redraw and telling the game to read the same palette in the ram as the sprite nothing else which is what the Vampire and Alpha games did exactly.

Edit:
    With out any editing on the 16x16.
    tkEwVpS.png

Edit 2:
    Not sure I said this before in detail may of alluded to it, but the small character select portraits are not the same portraits used for the hud. Character select mini portraits are 32x32 background layer graphics. As the Hud is a sprite reading standard 16x16 tiles.

edited October 2013
    Yeah,then that's certainly doable. I didn't know ST handled all artwork palettes that way or Maybe they DID intend to have that HUD swap then ditched it eventually.

So on that ROM where you got that screenshot, if you pick o ken then his hair turns red right? Because the screenshot alone doesn't tell me much. I can only make assumptions. For all I know that could be a static image and his hair turns blue no matter what. Best would be a link to a ROM patch if you have it so I can patch myself and check how the game behaves

That was the main issue though, detecting and assigning the sprite colors was one thing I assumed would have to be reverse engineered then coded... But if the portion of the bytecode has already been identified/the work/code is already in the game (either due to ditched ideas or just system design that just caters to these changes well) and just not implemented than that's a different story
    You're thinking way too hard about this.

Part of setting the graphics is to set which line in the palette ram to use. What I'm talking about will make it where there is no extra coding I just tell portrait on 1P to load the exact same palette as the sprite itself (Switching 0x07 to 0x01 for 2P 0x08 to 0x10 since this data is in the same palette bank).

The only hard part would be redrawing the portraits.

edited October 2013
    I already agreed with you and said it could be done (after seeing your screenshot). And it wouldn't be too difficult.Afterward, I was just clarifying what I meant before and why i thought it would be difficult because it appears you misunderstood.

Which clearly you did because if you understood my intention the first time, you would have simply stated what parameters exist/are required to set graphics as you did just now.

Regardless, I still would like the ROM patch so I can mess with it a bit if you still have it.
    edited October 2013
    I'm in the process of finding the data (again). Sorry, that I can't keep notes.

Edit:
    Found some old notes on my Google drive for the graphic ram for character select name. I found where the hidden tile map was again.

It's only ram.
    Hud 1P Character Portrait
    0x910318

Edit2:
    Player 1
    0104DC: move.w #$1127, D1

Player 2
    010508: move.w #$1108, D1

Switch 0x1127 to 0x1121 and 0x1108 to 0x1110. Now the portraits are loading the sprite palette.

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,247
    So someone did hack the ST ROM to get real Akuma...
    felineki wrote: »

Why not just use Gouki as the name. We have uppercase G, lowercase o, u, i, and k