Metroid

BunzBunz ☱☰☴☲☯☵☶☷☳Joined: Posts: 1,496 ✭✭
edited February 2013 in General Discussion
Welcome to the Metroid thread.

I hope you find it useful and enjoyable.

Games in series:
Spoiler:

Latest news & rumors:

Metroid Dread:
Spoiler:
Metroid Prime 4
Spoiler:
Pre-game storyline Manga (origins of Samus):
Spoiler:
Post edited by Bunz on

Comments

• BunzBunz ☱☰☴☲☯☵☶☷☳ Joined: Posts: 1,496 ✭✭
    Speedrunning
    Spoiler:
    Current speedrun records.
    Spoiler:
    Speedrunning guides. Metroid Hacks (Unofficial games & patches) Merchandise Music
    Spoiler:
    Art
    edited February 2013
    Chronological storyline:
    Cool stuff from this thread:
    Spoiler:
    Post edited by Bunz on
  • Radiantsilvergun3Radiantsilvergun3 Smooth Criminal Joined: Posts: 11,277
    Dope opening posts. Will look through them more thoroughly later.
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

In this one and only life, I fear not death but monotony
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    subscribed...I will say that 'Metroid' feels a bit plain though lol. I second what RS3 said in you got a nice bunch of stuff there in the OP. Now...it's time to let everyone get the fight over Other M out of the way. HAVE AT IT!
    Whoever wrote Other M needs to not write any more Metroid.

Gameplay's ok, but rather mashy (which is a damn shame coming from TN) and it's far too regid.

Ok I'm done.
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

• J.DJ.D Fortune favors the prepared... Joined: Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2D Metroid is fucking godlike.
    3D Metroid sucks big time.
    Twitter: @SRKJD
    UMVC3: Spencer/Dante/Magneto
    XBL: TRUJD3S
    Metroid fusion is fucking godlike.

HEEEYY!!!.... >( I can not agree with this sir!
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Swords... Swords Everywhere... Joined: Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prime games are fine. Other M... never happened.

I just wish Nintendo would give us another 2D Metroid sometime soon. Can we at least get a collection like Kirby did?
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    Prime games are fine. Other M... never happened.

I just wish Nintendo would give us another 2D Metroid sometime soon. Can we at least get a collection like Kirby did?

Yeah they could do that for the series' anniversary....
  • MatriarchMatriarch Lilim Joined: Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is Samus really a blonde? Because in the old games she had a different hair color in like every game.
  • JoshkazJoshkaz There's no such thing as an evil Ass-man! Joined: Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shes been a blonde for awhile now.
    Stop. My penis can only get so erect. - Dr. Krieger
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭
    Love the Metriod series.

Other M, tried to be a jack of all trades and its horrible story and restrictiveness (I don't know if guys in Japan think it is meant to reduce difficulty or what) hurt the game badly. The controls were pretty decent, it just needed a better game structure around it. At the very least it proved once again, sometimes even the original people behind a series at some point may no longer GET what made the series great.

Yeah they could do that for the series' anniversary....

Last year was the 25th anniversary. :(
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale

Last year was the 25th anniversary. :(

yeah I know...I didn't know how to put more sarcasm in my statement without it slap you in your face obvious.
    Shes been a blonde for awhile now.
    Since the SNES at least.

• JoshkazJoshkaz There's no such thing as an evil Ass-man! Joined: Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kirby > Metroid.
    Kirby deserves everything.
    Stop. My penis can only get so erect. - Dr. Krieger
  • J.DJ.D Fortune favors the prepared... Joined: Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HEEEYY!!!.... >( I can not agree with this sir!

Maybe I was too harsh, but let be honest, Metroid could have been up there with Zelda and Mario in terms of importance today, and yet it isn't.
    Metroid was already up there during the SNES era, but it's jump to 3D was so shitty compared to Mario's and Link's that it all started going down the drain from there :sad:
    Twitter: @SRKJD
    UMVC3: Spencer/Dante/Magneto
    XBL: TRUJD3S
    I'm personally not a very big fan of Kirby. I get lost all the time and the map system is confusing. There's like no rhyme or reason to it. Been a while tho.

There's also a distinct lack of Geiger influence in Kirby.

Maybe I was too harsh, but let be honest, Metroid could have been up there with Zelda and Mario in terms of importance today, and yet it isn't.
    Metroid was already up there during the SNES era, but it's jump to 3D was so shitty compared to Mario's and Link's that it all started going down the drain from there :sad:

I thought Metroid Prime Trilogy did a nice job representing Metroid in 3D. The only thing really it was missing was the speed boost...pretty much everything that had been in Metroid up to that point was in it. I mean it's pretty much the best Metroid in 3D so far imo but it's competition doesn't really give much comp. To me Prime 1 is pretty much Super Metroid with a perspective shift putting yourself in Samus' shoes. I can't really think of a better/alternative way of doing Metroid in true 3D besides what Team Ninja tried to do but because of the fact that the enemies come in different elevations and different angles it's going to be difficult doing something like that without it being an RE4/Third Person shooter style camera for aiming purposes thus why they had to have spotty auto aim.
    For reason Prime never gelled with me. I always wanted to get the trilogy coolection for Wii tho. Wii-Mote Controls would make a hall of a difference for me I bet.

Also going to throw this in here in case you haven't heard of Stemage and his group. If you like Metroid's music and don't mind loud guitars then I'd give Metroid Metal a listen.

http://www.metroidmetal.com/

Metroid Fusion - Sector 1

Metroid Metal - Sector 1
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metroid fusion is fucking godlike.

Agreed as long as we leave out the GC version (and not the Wii version) of Metroid Prime 1. That thing could have only been made more perfect with KB/mouse controls. It's otherwise godly.\
    Whoever wrote Other M needs to not write any more Metroid.

A thousand times yes. Sadly I think it was like Metroid's creator. :sad:
    http://handsomefatman.com — Pondering Entertainment
    XBL: Langis Langley — PSN: Langis360 — Steam: Axelhander

"Why do you people waste your time arguing with this idiot?" — Serpent, re: Serpent
    Yeah..Sakamoto was the writer behind Other M. So he has both arguably the best game done in the series and arguably the worst game in the series under his belt.
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭
    sooo what are your votes for best suit out of all the games?

mine goes to the light suit in MP2. shame the rest of the game is pretty shit.

1854088-lightsuit.jpg
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
    Her pimped out Vera Suit with the boss shoulder pads. It's Iconic it's so damn good.

• Fatal Error XIFatal Error XI Such Beautiful Misery Joined: Posts: 875 ✭✭✭
    I liked the concept Light Suit better than the actual in-game one. I thought MP2 got better after getting the Light Suit because you could backtrack without the pain in the ass dark environment draining you life. Though the whole light/dark world gimmick did start to get old quick.

1EXcI.jpg
  • Leftover LotionLeftover Lotion Melon/LL Joined: Posts: 581
    Super Metroid
    Metroid Fusion
    Metroid Zero Mision
    Metroid: Other M
    I fucks with all of these heavily.

Never cared for games that are strictly first-person. iRgUTgOk57XoF.gif
    Lotion, I use that.
    So is Samus really a blonde? Because in the old games she had a different hair color in like every game.
    Yeah.
    Hair

Officially blonde, though early games and media portrayed her with brown, green, red, violet and dark hair.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Samus_Aran
    Lotion, I use that.
  • King9999King9999 Mega Men Joined: Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Required reading for any fan of Metroid and game design: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/HugoBille/20120114/9236/The_Invisible_Hand_of_Super_Metroid.php

I wanna try my hand at breaking down a classic game. Stuff like this fascinates me.
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8754-7747
    PSN/Steam ID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    #TheMassacreOfE32013 Never forget...
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prime 1 is amazing, like the FPS version of Super Metroid.

Prime 2 and 3 felt much less intuitive, much more forced. The former because of the light/dark world gimmick LttP did waaaaaay better, the latter because of shitty forced Wiimote controls and yawn-inducing level design.

I've yet to play Other M, but I've seen enough cutscenes. Normally I'm all about gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>> story, but if a story is so shitty and characterization so pandering to Japanese chauvinist sensibilities, it starts to interfere, and I doubt Other M's Wiimote gameplay is so awe-inspiring to get me to ignore the fact Sakamoto actually thinks he's a good storyteller (maybe he was, once).
    http://handsomefatman.com — Pondering Entertainment
    XBL: Langis Langley — PSN: Langis360 — Steam: Axelhander

"Why do you people waste your time arguing with this idiot?" — Serpent, re: Serpent
    Prime 1 is amazing, like the FPS version of Super Metroid.

Prime 2 and 3 felt much less intuitive, much more forced. The former because of the light/dark world gimmick LttP did waaaaaay better, the latter because of shitty forced Wiimote controls and yawn-inducing level design.

I've yet to play Other M, but I've seen enough cutscenes. Normally I'm all about gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>> story, but if a story is so shitty and characterization so pandering to Japanese chauvinist sensibilities, it starts to interfere, and I doubt Other M's Wiimote gameplay is so awe-inspiring to get me to ignore the fact Sakamoto actually thinks he's a good storyteller (maybe he was, once).
    I think he's a writer who does well with the concept of "Less is more" A lot of what makes Metroid so good is how much you get from so little. The old ones didn't point you in a direction, had very little narrative, yet told a complete story. The atmosphere, enemies and bosses sold the stakes. When Sakamoto started injecting more narrative it began to fall apart. He should either stick with the less is more approach of hire a science fiction writer to pen the meat of narrative.

It's what I'd do.

I totally disagree with you about the Wii-Mote tho. When done right that thing is bliss. I dunno if it's done right for MP3 (Or the trilogy) but everyone I've heard who likes the series say the Wii-Mote improves the experiences. I could see it. RE4 was a shit load of fun with the Wii-Mote. I dunno if better or not, but it was really fun.

sooo what are your votes for best suit out of all the games?

mine goes to the light suit in MP2. shame the rest of the game is pretty shit.
    For me it's Gravity > Varia > Everything else

But then there's this nigga right here.
    Spoiler:
    If it was considered a suit I'd put it right behind Varia.
    Lotion, I use that.
  • SugaFreeSugaFree NAW SON Joined: Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭
    I want a remake of Metroid II on the Wii U/3DS.

In 2D please. I loved the GBA games.

• FurryCurryFurryCurry The World's Finest Joined: Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭
    In the case of Prime 4 how about just moving on with the series after Fusion. Just a thought.
    where yo tear drop at, gangsta? I'm so hard my cheeks look like i've been watching a lifetime movie marathon so what's really hood. - Monte
  • DavidstarDavidstar Joined: Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    anyone else hate the term metroidvania?
    Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
    I prefer "Castleroid" but I use Metroidvania because it's the mostly widely known. :razzy:

But on a serious note David what name would you give the sub-genre of adventure/action game wherein the world is just a series of interconnected maps?
    where yo tear drop at, gangsta? I'm so hard my cheeks look like i've been watching a lifetime movie marathon so what's really hood. - Monte
    In the case of Prime 4 how about just moving on with the series after Fusion. Just a thought.

How would you move the series forward after Fusion?
    I prefer "Castleroid" but I use Metroidvania because it's the mostly widely known. :razzy:

But on a serious note David what name would you give the sub-genre of adventure/action game wherein the world is just a series of interconnected maps?
    metroidia? or just metroid-esque. i don't like the term metroidvania because i feel like it gives castlevania credit for this style of innovative gameplay
    Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
    i loved both the metroid prime 1 and 2. as for three i feel like it's the weakest of the primes due to the lack of isolation. the character interaction just felt weird.

edit: also best suit is zero suit 8-)
    How would you move the series forward after Fusion?

It's been awhile since I've played it but chronologically it is the last one. I sadly have not played any of the Prime games or (thankfully I guess) Other M but what has always been intriguing to me about the Metroid series is how little is known about everything. Metroid games really know how to feel like very brief moments in one woman's life and I would like to see what Samus' life is day to day. Not every bounty sends her to some labyrinth on the other side of the galaxy. Not every advanced species she meets wants to kill her. What is Earth like? What is the Federation like? Are there any wars? Does Samus have family? What are human-alien relations like?

To me Samus is the best character that Nintendo has to explore some deeper emotional concepts lacking in most video-games. Metroid could be Nintendo's answer to "high level" games like Deus Ex or Mass Effect. Not in terms of gameplay but in character development and story telling. How will players make Samus react to the universe she lives in. I think that a Metroid game could pull it off if the writing is there to support it.

Edit: Interesting to note the character interaction in Prime 2 David. Like I said before I never played any of them (except Hunters but that barely counts) but if a developer is smart they can still sell isolation to a player even when they are surrounded but tons of NPCs. You just have to create a mood of isolation. I think that being a woman and disturbingly good at her job already would put people at bay. Sure her fellow hunters might kick back and drink beer with her after another one of her crazy missions but that she doesn't something that none of them can even attempt. There is probably a lot of jealousy there and that could isolate Samus emotionally. On some level she has to be a cold woman to do what she does.

And btw, a mature story doesn't mean it needs to have a M rating to be mature. So don't think that I mean Metroid needs titty bars, gore, or drugs to have a better story. Just want to be clear there.
    metroid ideas

Just to let you know pretty much the last bit of Samus' 'family' died in Other M. Probably the last person she could connect with is a black guy that was in her platoon back in the day. I'm not gonna go too far into it just in case you happen to want to blow through that game at some point.
    No because it describes them pretty damn perfectly. They took the Metroid formula and superfluously injected RPG elements and loot into with little thought or foresight on how it would effect the game. I find it strange that CV pretty shamelessly (Which is fine, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery) adopted the Super Metroid formula, but instead of looking at it and going "How can we make this better?" they just jammed a bunch of junk under the hood and put Castlevania paint on it with little rhyme or reason.

Which is why I think SOTN and it's offspring are pretty over rated. SOTN is a good game no doubt, I don't mean to say it's garbage. I think it's a good game, even a great one. I just don't see any reason to pick it over Super Metroid which does everything SOTN does, but better. There's an actual pacing to Metroid, and a logic to how the maps flow together. SOTN lacks this. Every piece of equipment and item you pick up in SM has a point, a purpose, a reason for being, while the vast majority of the stuff you pick up in SOTN is junk. There's good stuff in there but the majority of it could be cut and the game would be better for it.

The only really solid reason i can think of to pick up and play SOTN over Super Metroid is because you've played SM to death and need a new map, and in that department Nintendo has utterly failed it's fanbase and Konami has filled the void. This is from a purely gameplay observation standpoint. They both offer other things like wonderful music, and wonderful aesthetics that appeal to certain taste which would have one choose one game over the other.

So no I don't hate the term Metroidvania. In fact I think it's quite apt. It even explains the orders the games came in. Metroid first. Metroid style CV's second.

• orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all metroids are great. Unfortunately a lot of gamers let the horribly overblown writing of Other M and it's major changes to the 2D formula blind them to it's positive aspects. Team Ninja showed a lot of creativity and cleverness in their approach to innovating on the classic formula without taking away from it's core appeal. Soo many things could have gone horribly wrong in tackling such a difficult project, yet for the most part TN succeeded, too bad gamers had too much of a knee jerk reaction to appreciate it. I'm not denying it's a very flawed game but think about everything TN had to contend with. How do you take such well worn game play into new territory without looking like a cheap cash in or a fundamental lack of understanding of the source material? How do you walk the line between 2D and 3D withour polarizing your audience? How do you make your Metroid different than the Prime series without looking like you're trying too hard to be different? Other M might not be in the same league as the others but it's fun and different which is what counts at the end of the day.

Anyways Fusion is the best Metroid and I stopped playing Hunters years ago, came back to it recently and had no idea what to do so I gave up lol.

As a Metroid nut I've been religiously following any morsel of info about Dread for years...sadly it's nothing. More than an idea shelved until Nintendo gives someone the green light to make it.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    Hey guys check this out:

I own this bad muthafucker.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Legend of Revengeance Joined: Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Metroid. This series and Donkey Kong Country are the only Nintendo franchises I still care about. Sad to say that the last Metroid game I liked was Zero Mission. I didn't like the Prime games mostly because I don't like the first person perspective. It didn't feel right playing Metroid in first person even though they faithfully adapted everything. Never played Other M but I youtubed a few walkthoughs and the story is beyond awful. I want for the series to go back to Super, Fusion and Zero Mission. Those games kicked ass.
    sexy personified

That right there is the sexiest piece of hardware that I've ever seen anything always forever. ipjENXyV8AVrE.gif
    Lotion, I use that.
  • huckles98huckles98 Joined: Posts: 668
    I actually enjoyed the online deathmatch on the DS version. Kinda wish I still had it... I doubt anyone plays still though.
  • Holy KnightHoly Knight Above the Heavens Joined: Posts: 914 ✭✭✭
    To this day the Metroid enemy still creeps me the fuck out. I remember getting scared as fuck when you finally see a metroid for the first time in prime when it breaks from the test tube. I unloaded on the mother fucker. :rofl:
    Strive for perfection, stand for excellence.
  • Fatal Error XIFatal Error XI Such Beautiful Misery Joined: Posts: 875 ✭✭✭
    The Chozo Ghost freaked me out the first time I faced one. You think you're going to backtrack through an easy area you've been before, and then someone turns off the lights, creepy music starts playing, and these things are screaming at you. Your visor gets fucked up when they hit you, they turn invisible and are invincible to elemental attacks. They are hard to beat without the X-Ray visor. Fuck those guys.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Swords... Swords Everywhere... Joined: Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys check this out:

I own this bad muthafucker.
    I'm real jelly right now, lol. But for real, I always wanted a tricked-out SNES like that. How much did that job run you?

On topic, Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time. I always make an effort to replay it once a year. I hold it up there with Mega Man X as one of those few games that has a perfect pacing. The game gives you everything you need to complete it without excessively holding your hand. Everytime you get a power-up, it plays right into the next section that it opens up.
    That article was well-written, and his points on the pacing and the use of the power-ups was spot-on. Like how in Maridia there's that section before Draygon where you have to abuse the shit out of the Grappling Hook, as almost a sort of farewell before beating the boss and getting the Space Jump. I always used the Grappling Hook method to take Draygon out as a final 'thank you' as the item becomes redundant afterwards.

Think I need to dust off the SNES and play some Super Metroid again...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    To this day the Metroid enemy still creeps me the fuck out. I remember getting scared as fuck when you finally see a metroid for the first time in prime when it breaks from the test tube. I unloaded on the mother fucker. :rofl:
    The Chozo Ghost freaked me out the first time I faced one. You think you're going to backtrack through an easy area you've been before, and then someone turns off the lights, creepy music starts playing, and these things are screaming at you. Your visor gets fucked up when they hit you, they turn invisible and are invincible to elemental attacks. They are hard to beat without the X-Ray visor. Fuck those guys.

Shit I'm glad I'm not the only one who flipped his shit on this. The moment I walked into that lab and saw the metroid's in that glass container I was like 'awwww shit...I'm getting bad horror movie vibes right now'. I'm fucking staring at the tank as I'm walking by it in the slowest manner possible with the cannon pointed at it just waiting for it and it's a sigh of relief at first when nothing happens...But oh my fuckin god later when all hell breaks loose. Hearing the first glass break is easily one of those moments when you're thinking 'Fuck me...'

Those Chozo ghosts were little assholes too and I completely feel the same way about them.

Prime 3 had that goddamn ship.

The moment I set foot out of the ship and saw the dried out husk of bodies about the beginning of the ship was when I knew I was going to hate this place.