Keyboard Controls

Freeman720Freeman720 All Salt, All The TimeJoined: Posts: 59
I was just wondering if anyone used keyboard for playing fighting games.

Right now, I don't own a fightstick, and I hate using a pad, so I'm pretty much forced to use a keyboard right now, and I actually kinda like it. arrow keys for directions, then qwe+asd for buttons. It actually works pretty well. I find it difficult to do certain things(such as Akuma's Raging Demon), but for the most part, it feels pretty okay. What are your thoughts, and if you do use keyboard, what's your layout?

Comments

• KarnovKarnovKarnovKarnov Joined: Posts: 207
    Though it's not the most intuitive, assign left/down/right/up in a row: this layout makes it easier to do 270/360/720 motions.

The keyboard has a bunch of fairly keyboard-specific problems that are of varying degrees of problematic depending on what game and what character you are playing. Most keyboards, for instance, don't respond well to having even 3 keys held down simultaneously. You can get around some of these issues with macro buttons for things like A+B+C, but doing things like holding a button while holding down-back will take away your ability to attack with any other button (e.g. turtling with boxer Rog to charge a TAP will not reliably allow you to, say, jab because that will involve having 3 buttons being held while you try to press a fourth button).
  • Freeman720Freeman720 All Salt, All The Time Joined: Posts: 59
    Though it's not the most intuitive, assign left/down/right/up in a row: this layout makes it easier to do 270/360/720 motions.

The keyboard has a bunch of fairly keyboard-specific problems that are of varying degrees of problematic depending on what game and what character you are playing. Most keyboards, for instance, don't respond well to having even 3 keys held down simultaneously. You can get around some of these issues with macro buttons for things like A+B+C, but doing things like holding a button while holding down-back will take away your ability to attack with any other button (e.g. turtling with boxer Rog to charge a TAP will not reliably allow you to, say, jab because that will involve having 3 buttons being held while you try to press a fourth button).

I'll try the direction thing. Ghosting isn't really a problem for me, I have a gaming keyboard, so I don't have to worry about it,
  • AquasharkAquashark Mekong Delta AirRaid Joined: Posts: 1,368
    WASD (directions) + NUMPAD 4 5 6 7 8 9 (kicks & punches) and you can press 3-4 keys at the same time on most standard USB keyboards
    hello friends, my name is Drago Umeharevich from CrossCounter Balkans
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭
    keyboard is a dream for f,d,f and df moves and a nightmare for everything else.
    not good at any, mediocre at many
  • KrackatoaKrackatoa Ensaikyopedia Trolldanica. Joined: Posts: 2,053
    Yo. I learned to play on Keyboard, and eventually moved to Hitbox. Keyboards with tighter key layouts will ruin your wrists, while larger, full-sized keyboards and larger shouldn't give you many issues.

I used to play with Arrow Keys and a ASDF/ZXCV for years, but when the initial Hitbox videos went up, I immediately switched to Arrow Keys + Spacebar=Up.

When you play in that layout, there's very little that you can't do. For a game like SFIV, Viper's more obtuse inputs aren't a problem (Super-Jump Seismo Cancels). 720s are the big issue, though. You really need responsive, snappy buttons due to the speed involved for a lot of the more practical buffering windows (Buffering 720 Supers inside a cr.LK, for example).

The best thing about keyboard play now is the advent of the Hitbox. You now have a practical, duel-modded controller option to pick up once you learn the ASD+Space or Arrow Key+Space layout.
    Algonquin Competitive Gaming - Bringing Hyperbolic Time Chambers to the Masses
    Oh yeah, I would recommend ASD+Space, then NumPad for attack buttons, since lefty Hitboxes (Arrowkeys + Space) aren't normally a thing.
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭
    problem with hitbox and pad is that it isnt suitable if you use right hand for controls and left for buttons.
    not good at any, mediocre at many
    problem with hitbox and pad is that it isnt suitable if you use right hand for controls and left for buttons.
    I got a prototype lefty box, but it's not hard making your own so long as you can nab a custom plexi service to drill out some designs.
  • toastedsubtoastedsub Delicious Joined: Posts: 193
    I actually am a keyboard player, here is my ps3/360 "stick"
    DVKS6.jpg
    SAUGA MARVEL 3
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    I would recommend not having a jump/up button near your other fingers, the hitbox style of space=jump is really helpful for a number of different reasons.