The Sonic the hedgehog thread V.7 2017 its been generations since the last good sonic game

Comments

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,561
    Every Sonic game is a kids game so that argument doesn't hold water for me.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,888
    edited November 11
    If you go back and play Adventure 1&2 you'll see they aren't that good either. Like solid 5's. Sonic style stuff is fun and thats about it in those games. Sonic only constitutes like 50% of the game in those games to.
    Post edited by crotchpuncha on
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,875
    edited November 12
    If you go back and play Adventure 1&2 you'll see they aren't that good either. Like solid 5's. Sonic style stuff is fun and thats about it in those games. Sonic only constitutes like 50% of the game in those games to.

I felt Adventure was a good tech demo for the Dreamcast, but it lack that je ne sais quoi that made Sonic in the Genesis era great
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    edited November 12
    I wouldn't call it a tech demo at all, I'd just say a lot of its ideas werent as compelling as they could have been.
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,834
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Nintendoes what Segadon't

make systems?
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
    thought sonic forces was coming out next year wtf
    CRYING
    Jack_Frost wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Nintendoes what Segadon't

make systems?

And good games apparently, aside from some titles like Yakuza series.
    Sega pretty much screwed the pooch on all their Older IP, and all their Genesis era and older IP would be considered abandoned if they didn't occasionally release collections of their old stuff.

:coffee:
    I wouldn't call it a tech demo at all, I'd just say a lot of its ideas werent as compelling as they could have been.

Well I admit when the Dreamcast was new, and playing that Sonic Adv demo in stores was visually impressive, that whole running under a whale that's jumping over seen was cool
    It lacked substance. Furthermore even though It's a Sonic game you play Sonic for at or less than 50% of the time.
  • Shadow AceShadow Ace The Royal Knight of the Turbulent Winds Joined: Posts: 5,173

sonic boom metal sonic vs. shadow and sonic
    Once Known as Shadow Ace 50
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a rose as gentle, a song so eloquent
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Why the EFF is Sonic Boom on Boomerang? I think the show could do well on CN if they didn't air at at ungodly hours. Oh, wait. Sonic Boom isn't a CN original NVM.

Classic Sonic got the shaft music wise in a few of his stages, but not in Ghost Town. Beat is FIRE. This is Naofumi Hataya's baby. No surprise it is so good. He wrote some sick Genesis tunes.

• SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 19,093
    Sonic Boom was on CN and Boomerang and then they switched it to just Boomerang mid season 1 for some reason. The show has only been getting better so I don't know what the deal is.
    High Enough

If you haven't seen this before you may have questions...

CN probably didn't want the show to get in the way of airing more Teen Titans Go.
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,223
    Yeah gotta make room to air 500 episodes of TTGO a day.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,041
    Y'all joking, but that's exactly what the CN suits are doing.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,541
    Started SA1 replay. Still fun to me, I'll back to SA2 once i feel like dealing with Meteor Herd lol. One thing I think that SA1 does better than 2 is music, i think the placement of songs is really well done.
    Pumpkin Hill and Aquatic Mine alone puts SA2 music ahead of SA1 imo.
    I def feel that. I think both OSTs are good, they feel like 2 halfs of a single project sorta. Since they both had the same direction i feel with it being varied, a character having a song/music genre attaached to them and etc. But I'd say that SA2 is a bit more varied, 1 is still mostly rock
    Pumpkin Hill.....yuuuuck. that shit is fucking terrible.
  • Little_GotenLittle_Goten No seriously, what the heck's a Kakarot? Joined: Posts: 5,608
    Oh hey, another Sonic game I was looking forward to being bad. Yaaayyy.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Retiring from fighting games, at least temporarily. My execution sucks.
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,254
    edited November 14
    Sonic Forces only had 3 level designers, none of them had much experience. Check the 12:14 mark.

I'm making a fighting game!
    SRK thread - Discord server.
  • Little_GotenLittle_Goten No seriously, what the heck's a Kakarot? Joined: Posts: 5,608
    I don't . . . consider that as a valid excuse.
    edited November 14
    Sonic Forces only had 3 level designers, none of them had much experience. Check the 12:14 mark.

https //youtu be/dyX04BxNxmM?t=12m14s

That is not much of an excuse knowing Sega's long history as a company.
    You expect a Video game company that been around in some form or another since the 1950s to have some idea how to pass on knowledge and experience.
    And you don't get a first timer go into major project on their own.
    Off topic, that makes me worried about USUM, since that's being handled by new staff as well.

At least we have Sonic Mania.
    Off topic, that makes me worried about USUM, since that's being handled by new staff as well.

At least we have Sonic Mania.

Sun and Moon were handled by mostly new staff, as well as X/Y.

The difference is GameFreak lets the new guys cut their teeth working under the experienced staff before putting them in charge.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    I dont think anyone is saying it is an excuse...just an explanation for that particular part of the game.
    Idk what happened to SEGA/Sonic Team after 06. I do know that they did split Sonic Team into an A Team, B Team and etc, but it seems after 06, they just gotta trigger happy with experiments, the storybook games(i'll give a little slack since those are spinoffs where experiementing is ok), werehog in unleashed, the weird 2d platforming + wisps in colors, and lost world. If you look at Adventure-06, they all kinda had a similar mold. Yeah Heroes was the experimental game with the team based gameplay, and but aside from that it still played normal, and the team thing wasn't really a gimmick imo. But yeah idk, i feel they are either too pressed to experiment or are just stuck with throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Because Sonic is like the only SEGA IP that has been flip flopping so its like wtf dude. When I say they need to go back to Adventure games, i dont mean it needs to legit be an "Adventure 3" but just put some damn effort in making a whole heartedly good game instead of trying to appeal, or seeing "if we do this, is it ok" and etc. Because that's the feeling i get from them. Especially with a recent interview where they said Classic is in Forces because people liked him being in Generations, they don't get that Classic was absent for a long time, and people were happy to see him back in an anniversary game, people like Classic games not him as a character to the point where you can slap him in anything and people are gonna flock. That was a one time thing with Gens
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I like Pumpkin Hill, but then, I find Sonic vocal tracks in general to be cheesy. But the good kind of cheese.

SEGA as a whole used to be a very experimental company and would give their other IPs plenty of love. Panzer Dragoon, Shinobi, Jet Set Radio, House of the Dead. Now? Only Sonic and Yakuza get attention. And even now, it seems like they are scared to take chances with Sonic, hence Classic Sonic being in Forces. That's the thing about taking risks and chances: they don't always work. I don't just mean that for Sonic games but for SEGA IPs in general. Like, one reason we aren't getting a new F-ZERO is because GX bombed sales wise, which is a shame because as many times as that game busted my balls, it was so awesome. The other reason is because Miyamoto wants to find a new control scheme for the game. I have great respect for the man, but not every single game has to have some special control.

I find it interesting that IGN gave Forces a 6.9. Didn't they score Lost World and Unleashed lower than that?
    Miyamoto does seem to e a bit obsessed with forced "Innovation"

With that said I do miss when most had their own control schemes an shit and experiemented with control set ups an shit. I am a firm believe that Triangle in an action game makes a fantastic jump button but would never have learned that without DMC1 experiemtning and putting jump there.
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,254
    edited November 14
    @Little_Goten @Darksakul Definitely not an excuse, just an explanation for why the level design is like this:
    I'm making a fighting game!
    SRK thread - Discord server.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,996 mod
    What's worrying is that it seems that they may have not even had enough confidence in the old team members that they just up and decided to give it to the new guys.
    Miyamoto does seem to e a bit obsessed with forced "Innovation"

With that said I do miss when most had their own control schemes an shit and experiemented with control set ups an shit. I am a firm believe that Triangle in an action game makes a fantastic jump button but would never have learned that without DMC1 experiemtning and putting jump there.

interesting. I actually have a friend who can't finish DMC1 because he says he can't adjust to triangle being the jump button. I'm like it takes 2 min to adjust lol.
    Yea I laugh in the face of anyone who tells me they can't adjust to Triangle as jump. You're weak!!!!

Or young enough to have grown up in the last 2 generations where everything plays the fucking same lol.

That last part is one of the most annoying parts of gaming outside of DLC/lootbox/season pass nonsense.

No one outside of Nintendo tries new shit with control schemes anymore.
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,085

Sonic Adventure 2 for DC/PS2 was a pretty decent and all-around solid title.

Sonic Adventure 2 for DC/PS2 was a pretty decent and all-around solid title.
    Naw those robot levels are aaaaassssssssssssssss, and I'm personally not a fan of the Knux/Rouge treasure hunts, they aren't fun, they are boring as hell, and the size of the levels is way to fucking big. Only Sonic and Shadow are fun to play and they account for about 50% of the game. So a solid 5. Average at best.
    The racing was fun also. 5 is bad to me. No way in hell I can ever call that game bad. It's good not great. Generations was great
    CRYING
    5?

Yea racing in SA2 Battle was pretty fun.
  • SkullboySkullboy On Days Like This... Joined: Posts: 12,415
    edited November 15
    As a guy who absolutely loves SA2: that game was so fucking bad. Lol.
    "Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are."

Tumblr (NSFW)