The Sonic the hedgehog thread V.7 2017 Sonic Mania Out Now!!!!!!!

Comments

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,766 mod
    edited October 10
    Dunkey had an easter egg? What was it?
    IIRC, grabbing one of the hooks and then entering the Sonic 3 level select code would cause the spinner things to play Dunkey making sounds effects for from from one of their videos.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,611
    Thats awesome...man why they gotta patch that out lol.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,933
    Putting youtuber references or even using youtubers in your game seems to be a risky endeavor nowadays. Even though as far as I'm aware Dunkey hasn't done anything completely stupid yet (there's been a few questionable things here and there but he hasn't gone full Jontron or Pewdiepie yet) there's always the chance that it could happen. That being said if that's the reason that they are taking it out I think they should just leave it in since it's super obscure and Dunkey hasn't done anything yet.
    edited October 10
    More like.putting people in your game risky. No one is squeeky clean, need to stop acting like they have to be.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,737
    OC should be standard for the series moving forward! they could go all Xenoverse with the next game!!
    it's insane the series haven't even learned from Star Fox 2. you increase the playable selection, not keep it the same nor decrease it!

the series would of gotten a a more impressive playable roster already. Mania just had to ruin things.

but at least Forces is opening more possibilities for OC, which is better than premade characters anyways.
    and they can improve it further!!
    More like.putting people in your game risky. No one is squeeky clean, need to stop acting like they have to be.

This is true as well. I'm just saying speculation as I haven't seen anything as a legit reason for why to remove the Dunkey reference.
    Thats awesome...man why they gotta patch that out lol.

Speculation is that someone sneaked it in without actually telling Sega about it.
    edited October 11
    Anyone else following this channel? It's by one of the guys who worked on 3D Blast (and R) and goes over a lot of tricks they used when working on the Genesis hardware.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfVFSjHQ57zyxajhhRc7i0g/videos

• ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 2,129
    who or what the fk is dunkey?
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,396
    who or what the fk is dunkey?
    If you actually followed the conversation you would notice the word YOU TUBE been tossed around.

I could go how dumb you are for not using a google search but it be easier to show you who the Fukin Dunk is Dunkey.

Here a Sampling of Dunkey's work

po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
    Yeah but what has he got to do with Sonic?
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,396
    Yeah but what has he got to do with Sonic?
    Do you read threads before you comment?

Go back at look at d3v's first post on Page 71.
    po pimpus wrote:
    That's sad as fuck.
    Yes I do mufugga, do YOU? I wanted to know why the Dunkey bullshit was in the game in the first place, I know what the code is and what it does but I don't get why some random youtube mofo got a reference in the sonic game.
    Because he made that specific sound effect for the spinner/booster thing in Hydrocity in his playthrough.
  • Little_GotenLittle_Goten No seriously, what the heck's a Kakarot? Joined: Posts: 5,604
    Annoyed that I wasn't able to get Sonic Mania on day one and got the game spoiled by friends. Ugh.

It's my second-favorite Sonic game though. Second only to the OG Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Retiring from fighting games, at least temporarily. My execution sucks.
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,207
    I got my copy of the sonic mania OST vinyl a while back and forgot to post about it until now. Lol.
    It sounds so fucking tight that it just makes it sting even more that half the actual OST isn't on it. :(
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,315
    It'll likely be unpopular opinion but I like Mania more than Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Mania is Carvinal Night and Sandopolis free. Fuck those zones.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Little_GotenLittle_Goten No seriously, what the heck's a Kakarot? Joined: Posts: 5,604
    It'll likely be unpopular opinion but I like Mania more than Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Mania is Carvinal Night and Sandopolis free. Fuck those zones.

But they're not even hard. o.o
    I like the SnK Portion of 3K and Love the Mania versions of Flying Battery and Lava reef but I hate alot of the Sonic 3 only levels.

Marble Garden and Carnival Night were garbage to me.
    2>3&K.

Haven't played Mania.
    edited October 12
    3&K was the first to really balance out the 3 pillars of speed, platforming, and exploration. Each game before it focused more on one aspect: platforming in 1, speed in 2, and exploration in CD.

2 was a reaction to 1's problems, getting rid of linear, platforming heavy stages like Marble and Labyrinth and refining the Green Hill formula. CD did the same thing bur also tried to expand on the exploration aspect that the stage designs already had, but stumbles a bit. 3&K refines the lessons from 2 and CD while making the zones feel much more interconnected.

The latter is where Mania stumbles a bit, since a lot of the stages lack transitions.
    I don't really agree tho, 3&K goes back to more of a Sonic 1 mix og slow and speedy stages, and I don't feel the quality of the stages match up to Sonic 2. We're back to slow stages that suck. Seriously Carnival Night Zone and Sandopolis can fuck off (Tho Sandopolis is a better take on Labrynth Zones ideas) and I don't really feel like the Speed stages do anything better then Sonic 2s.
    edited October 12
    I feel Sonic 2's stages lean on the Green Hill formula too much and majority of them are mostly just 2-3 paths. Honestly feel that it peaks at Chemical Plant's 3-4 paths then just plateaus from there. Heck, it's followed by Hilltop which is mostly linear. And let's not forget Metropolis which is almost Sonic 1 levels of bad.

3&K's expanded the stages, remembering that platforming is still one of the three core pillars of Sonic. They have a better mix of these scattered throughout.

Just consider how they did special stage entrances. 2 had them at checkpoints, meaning if you were good and fast enough, you'd get to them almost every time you hit one. 3&K's (and Mania's) giant gold rings were things you had to look out and explore the stages for.

3&K's stages also generally have more verticality. This is something taken from CD, but refined a bit more. It's telling that the two Sonic 2 stages that Taxman choose to put in Mania are the ones that do have a bigger vertical component than the others.
    It's simply telling that Taxman has a bias for specific design types in stages, that's really all it tells.
    I seriously dont have any fun playing Marbel Garden or Carnival Night. Doesnt help the music for both stages are crappy as well. I think both stages go on for waaay too long.

SnK levels had an excellent balqnce between multiple paths, length of stage, good platforming and other stuff.

I used to not like Hydrocity either but then found it ok.
    I like Marble Garden myself, but I get why other people don't like it, much the same as how I like Metropolis Zone a lot, but a lot of other people doin't seem to like it very much for some reason. I get the hate for the crab enemies and the Scissors enemies (However you spell it) but by that time Ring Count is seriously no longer a concern to me, games almost over, so I really don't care about getting hit by that point, and shit most of the time I'm Super Sonic by then anywayn Metropolis has tons of Rings so whatever, and the actual level design for all 3 of those acts is fucking fantastic. Lot of great stuff in there.

And music, my god the fucking music. One of the best Zone Themes of ALL TIME! *Kanye Shrug*
    Aside from those issues, Metropolis Zone feels as if it doesn't really have much interaction between the multiple paths, any places where there's a bottleneck, they feel mostly as if they're there for the player to fall into the lower path.

Then there's the fact that it has 3 acts, when the rest of the game has already shown that you only ever need 2 acts.
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,303

Sandopolis free?

Oil Ocean Zone takes the 2 things that made the stage suck and ran with one (the light system) and nodded at the other. (That fucking slide segment)
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I can't believe people hate on Sandopolis. That level is amazingly good
    Iduno wrote: »

Sandopolis free?

Oil Ocean Zone takes the 2 things that made the stage suck and ran with one (the light system) and nodded at the other. (That fucking slide segment)

Oil Ocean took it's gimmicks not it's awful stage design.
    Sega published a 7 page prequel comic for Sonic Forces. It's written by Ian Flynn
    http://gematsu.com/gallery/sonic-forces/october-12-2017/
    Gasaraki wrote: »
    I can't believe people hate on Sandopolis. That level is amazingly good
    Can't stand Sandopolis once you're inside the pyramid.
    yeah sand zone 1 is pretty coole. Zone 2 is not bad.. it tried somthing new u gotta give them credit for that.

The bigeest gripe with Marbel Garden and Carnival is that they seem to go on forever.
    Carnival Night was one of my favorites. That act 2 music is fire.

By the way, was this ever posted? New Knuckles rap for Sonic Mania.

Judging by the description on the latest stream it looks like IDW picked up Ian Flynn for the IDW Sonic Comic
    Sonic Forces ost - Aqua Road

Ohtani doing his thing.
    edited October 13
    Sonic Forces his fans to listen to his awesome music.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,813

Unless it's Chemical Plant Zone...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    po pimpus wrote: »

Unless it's Chemical Plant Zone...

. . . Chemical Plant is cool tho.
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles does indeed have some acts that I dislike/tend to go on for too long. Sandopolis Act2 can be really annoying with the ghosts and constant switches that need to be pushed. Carnival Night Act 2 feels like it is designed just to waste time. That said, it's still an outstanding game and my favorite Sonic game. It does far more right than wrong so I'm willing to take the bad with the good.