The Sonic the hedgehog thread V.7 2017 Sonic Mania Out Now!!!!!!!

Comments

• DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,394
    I saw some gameplay, and it looks aight. I just dont' know if the game is still gonna focus on being metroidvania-like such as the other Boom 3ds title, or if it's gonna be speed focused with just different routes like a regular 2d Sonic
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,798
    First off no...still no new info on Sonic games...unless you want to play that new Sonic Dash game on mobile that is going to be based off of Sonic Boom.

BUUUUUUTTTTT...I did want to say 2 things that might be interesting for some. Apparently Shadow shows up in the Season finale of Season 1 and Sonic gets smacked.

tumblr_nv4jyt2fEp1upefy8o1_500.gif

I don't know if it's shown up over here yet but this is probably going to be entertaining. Metal Sonic showed up in an episode prior to my surprise.

The 2nd thing I wanted to mention was this...

I was reading the Sonic thread on Gaf and someone casually mentioned about it which made me '......???!!!'. Looks like Alvin is asking for some donations this time around while he redoes his flash series. They're still coming whether you donate or not but if you'd like to support you can. People have been trying to imitate his series for some time now and they just couldn't make it feel right.
  • Shadow AceShadow Ace The Royal Knight of the Turbulent Winds Joined: Posts: 5,161
    Lost world is coming to PC this month..no link but i saw it on gaf

Shadow comboing sonic is surprising as hell, didnt think they would show that on that goofy show

Alvin countinuing his series? Man i remember watching that before my first year of college..
    Once Known as Shadow Ace 50
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a rose as gentle, a song so eloquent
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah IIRC he had a cliffhanger then never finished it, I think I was also in college last time an episode came out.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,698
    That Shadow gif is just him giving his opinion on the Sonic Boom game.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
    musical update on Sonic 2 HD
    http://www.sonic2hd.com/changelogs/staffattack/Staff-Attack-Toni-Leys.html

I like the fact that they're going to take a 3K approach to the Act 2 stages. I dig what I'm hearing.
    Sega: Future Sonic titles will be influenced by the past
    http://gonintendo.com/stories/245495-future-sonic-titles-to-be-inspired-by-classic-sonic-games?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

If we're talking about 2D, it better at least be 2D Generations quality in terms of how it feels. I still don't understand how you guys can't just take the coding and how it works in the older games and apply it to any new 2D games you guys have and then go from there. Completely baffling.
  • EphidelEphidel Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    How does Sonic 4 play on iPhone? There seems to be mixed reviews about it.
    I'm sorry. Humor me!!
    Fightcade: Ephidel
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,983
    There are demos of the iOS versions of Sonic 4. I thought they were shit personally. Never been a fan of virtual buttons and having to tilt to change direction.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,192
    I can't wait to finally play Lost World, I kept waiting for it to get dirt cheap on WiiU but now it's coming to PC for 23.99 on sale.

And they said they're doing more backporting!

Sonic 06 for PC! DO IT!
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,983
    I want Colors for PC and a re-release for Heroes.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,394
    I'm actually currently playing through the DS version of Colors, i beat the wii version. It's very fun, basically Sonic Rush 3, except can't do tricks in the air :(

But yeah they were on a good streak with Colors, Generations, Lost World(mixed reception but overall not a bad game imo) then BOOM! lol Hopefully they get it back on track man.
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    The only reason I want Colors on another platform is so people can stop pretending like it doesn't exist whenever someone mentions the batting average of the franchise currently.

Not for 60fps? Mods? Not being tied to an outdated machine that caps out at 480p?
    Smashbro29 wrote: »
    The only reason I want Colors on another platform is so people can stop pretending like it doesn't exist whenever someone mentions the batting average of the franchise currently.

Not for 60fps? Mods? Not being tied to an outdated machine that caps out at 480p?

60fps would be great I'm down for that. Very meh on mods. Game capping out at 480p doesn't matter to me really. Resolution boost isn't going to really do much to the game from a gameplay perspective besides make it look clearer. That's great and all but I'd care more about the 60fps than anything.

I'm also not a part of the PC Master Race...which would probably explain more of my apathy. Having others have access to the game is more important to me above everything else if only to for more people to say 'This game happened' for every 'Sonic Boom happened and everything before that is now ass'.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,329
    Most problems with Colors being a Wii game can be fixed through Dolphin.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!

60fps would be great I'm down for that. Very meh on mods. Game capping out at 480p doesn't matter to me really. Resolution boost isn't going to really do much to the game from a gameplay perspective besides make it look clearer. That's great and all but I'd care more about the 60fps than anything.

I'm also not a part of the PC Master Race...which would probably explain more of my apathy. Having others have access to the game is more important to me above everything else if only to for more people to say 'This game happened' for every 'Sonic Boom happened and everything before that is now ass'.

This "pc master race" bullshit has got to go. Do you have a half decent laptop? Congrats you can play a shit ton of games on PC. Welcome to the "master race".

I use a $500 upscaler on my Wii and it still looks shit. The Wii's video output is garbage even for 480p.

60fps would be a huge game changer to the way the game plays. As it stands Sonic Colors just feels slightly off because of the framerate especially when it drops (and it drops).

"very meh on mods". Can you possibly explain why? Have you seen the mods for Sonic games? It's a fucking art. One visit to Sonic Retro should be all you need to be sold on mods. Tripled the value of that Generations for me.

And why the hell do you care so much what general opinion on Sonic is? Fuck general opinion. Sonic Colors was on Wii which outsold the WiiU by a lot. So if someone is glossing over Colors and bringing up Boom they're an idiot that just wants to stay on the bandwagon and they don't deserve your attention.
    JohnGrimm wrote: »

60fps doesn't work in the latest version and is very resource intensive not to mention not very stable.

60fps doesn't work in the latest version and is very resource intensive not to mention not very stable.

It's still there, it still exists, it can improve, the resolution goes way up, the anti aliasing goes way up, texture filtering goes way up, you can add post processing effects, adding mods is possible, I'm not sure why you would both disagree and make this reply to my post. Every problem you have with Colors on Wii IS solved with Dolphin. "Resource intensive" doesn't refute that.
    Why so hostile about his opinion?

I just don't understand the settling for less mentality, he cares insomuch as it helps series reputation but not that it would get him a vastly superior experience with said game he likes? That makes no goddamn sense.

It's still there, it still exists, it can improve, the resolution goes way up, the anti aliasing goes way up, texture filtering goes way up, you can add post processing effects, adding mods is possible, I'm not sure why you would both disagree and make this reply to my post. Every problem you have with Colors on Wii IS solved with Dolphin. "Resource intensive" doesn't refute that.

Mods are a lot harder to do via wii emulation than via a native pc release. Irrefutable fact and it's hard to the point where I don't even think any exist.

You can make it look prettier but it's really just polishing a turd, native release would probably come with higher res assets.

Changing the cpu rate to 200% and getting glitches and anomalies throughout doesn't count as a solved issue especially when you need a borderline NASA PC to do it properly.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,419
    edited October 2015

I just don't understand the settling for less mentality, he cares insomuch as it helps series reputation but not that it would get him a vastly superior experience with said game he likes? That makes no goddamn sense
    Because he doesnt fucking care? He wants the series rep to get better because there areg ood recent games people havnt gotten to play, but hes already played it so he really doesnt care that much about the performance bump for. Like this is fucking easy to understand, i dont understand why this seems complicated to you. Its not settling when you have already played the damn thing, years ago to boot.

I geberally dont like mods either, lot of them tend be fucking ugly or make something about the game worse, or are a pain to install, gotta do a bunch of fiddling. Might better these days, but even a few years ago trying to get a graphics patch to work with Thief TDP was a pain in the ass.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,285
    You guys are wasting your time with that guy. He's a notorious troll in the Smash 4 section, constantly going on about how Modded Brawl (Project M) is better, yadda, yadda, yadda.

He's just a brick wall set in his beliefs, and no amount of logical debate will change that.

Yes, Po just said that... So marinate on how bad he must truly be...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 9,041

I just don't understand the settling for less mentality, he cares insomuch as it helps series reputation but not that it would get him a vastly superior experience with said game he likes? That makes no goddamn sense.

Mods are a lot harder to do via wii emulation than via a native pc release. Irrefutable fact and it's hard to the point where I don't even think any exist.

You can make it look prettier but it's really just polishing a turd, native release would probably come with higher res assets.

Changing the cpu rate to 200% and getting glitches and anomalies throughout doesn't count as a solved issue especially when you need a borderline NASA PC to do it properly.

For wanting to get rid of the stigma of PC master race you're being awfully PC master race about this.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Splatoon 2 (Switch), Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress), Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Star vs. The Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - Sons of Anarchy

This "pc master race" bullshit has got to go. Do you have a half decent laptop? Congrats you can play a shit ton of games on PC. Welcome to the "master race".

I use a $500 upscaler on my Wii and it still looks shit. The Wii's video output is garbage even for 480p.

60fps would be a huge game changer to the way the game plays. As it stands Sonic Colors just feels slightly off because of the framerate especially when it drops (and it drops).

"very meh on mods". Can you possibly explain why? Have you seen the mods for Sonic games? It's a fucking art. One visit to Sonic Retro should be all you need to be sold on mods. Tripled the value of that Generations for me.

And why the hell do you care so much what general opinion on Sonic is? Fuck general opinion. Sonic Colors was on Wii which outsold the WiiU by a lot. So if someone is glossing over Colors and bringing up Boom they're an idiot that just wants to stay on the bandwagon and they don't deserve your attention.

I don't own a halfway decent laptop. I own a fairly solid PC that I put 8 gigs of ram on like what...I wanna say 7-8 years ago I believe? Cept for the fact that currently the damn thing is unreliable at the moment since something is going on with the motherboard and I've been looking to get a new one that I could possibly build but shit keeps coming up to get in the way of that. In any case...that PC that I mentioned? I didn't play a single game on it. Not one. Last PC game that I played were Starcraft and Warcraft III series. PC gaming just isn't my thing, I prefer most of the exclusives that the big 3 have that most won't be on PC. That's just personal preference. I have nothing against people who enjoy PC gaming, that's cool but the only thing that I'd mostly be interested in on the PC would probably be 3rd party games that more than likely will release on a console that I own. Having something in 4K or the highest resolution possibly as at the bottom of my list of things. I'm pretty sure we've had a similar headbutting thing before when I mentioned that I enjoy playing on my Wii U pad and you went 'EH!?'. It's going to be something that we aren't going to understand each other on.

$500 upscaler? Uh...another thing that we won't understand each other on because I would never pay for that lol.

I agreed about 60fps. 60fps on most games is a game changer and like I said that's what I'd care about. I can't say anything about Colors feeling slightly off since I personally didn't have that issue.

I buy games usually for what the company is making for said game unless that's actually an official feature of said game (I.E. Mario Maker or Fallout 4). Mods can be great but I'm not looking for mods to wow me...I want the initial game to do that and then when I've run out of things to do MAYBE I'd consider mods but they aren't and probably will never be the reason I'd purchase a game.( Save for maybe Ultimate Skyrim....)

Why do I care about the general opinion? I kinda don't but I'm a pretty big fan of the franchise and I'd like to see it succeed especially when the game is legit good? I'm not going to say that the people who bring up Boom and dismiss everything else are idiots so much as more so ignorant and uninformed. It's why I'd like for those people who didn't have a Wii and didn't have a chance to play this game to be able to play it. That's it...That's all.
    edited October 2015
    Maybe he prefers to game on a console. Let it go.

It's not about what, it's about the end result.

I just don't understand the settling for less mentality, he cares insomuch as it helps series reputation but not that it would get him a vastly superior experience with said game he likes? That makes no goddamn sense
    Because he doesnt fucking care? He wants the series rep to get better because there areg ood recent games people havnt gotten to play, but hes already played it so he really doesnt care that much about the performance bump for. Like this is fucking easy to understand, i dont understand why this seems complicated to you. Its not settling when you have already played the damn thing, years ago to boot.

I geberally dont like mods either, lot of them tend be fucking ugly or make something about the game worse, or are a pain to install, gotta do a bunch of fiddling. Might better these days, but even a few years ago trying to get a graphics patch to work with Thief TDP was a pain in the ass.

No, who the hell cares about the rep of a series like that? Trust me, Sega is making enough money without your loyalty.

Think of a hypothetical PC release as an HD remaster, does that sit better with you? If I said I wanted an HD remaster?

Sonic games specifically are ridiculously easy to apply mods to from SA1 to Generations to the old as hell S3&K PC port.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showforum=13 - happy birthday.
    Maybe he prefers to game on a console. Let it go.

"Hi, I'm missing the point". He can prefer whatever he wants, I'm just trying to understand why the game matters less than the general opinion.
    po pimpus wrote: »
    You guys are wasting your time with that guy. He's a notorious troll in the Smash 4 section, constantly going on about how Modded Brawl (Project M) is better, yadda, yadda, yadda.

He's just a brick wall set in his beliefs, and no amount of logical debate will change that.

I'm notorious? I never see anyone give me an issue except you. I gave smash opinions in the smash thread, disagreeing doesn't make me a "troll". I mention PM for a week like 6 months ago and you're still on about it? I don't play that game anyhow.

For wanting to get rid of the stigma of PC master race you're being awfully PC master race about this.

It's more
    A. I fucking hate memes, they're the worst kind of humor and they make people seem really robotic to me.
    B. The stigma exists because people think they need some supercomputer from alienware to play games and they don't.

I'm just questioning the train of thought, people can play games with rocks and sticks for all I care. I'd just wanna know why.

I don't own a halfway decent laptop. I own a fairly solid PC that I put 8 gigs of ram on like what...I wanna say 7-8 years ago I believe? Cept for the fact that currently the damn thing is unreliable at the moment since something is going on with the motherboard and I've been looking to get a new one that I could possibly build but shit keeps coming up to get in the way of that. In any case...that PC that I mentioned? I didn't play a single game on it. Not one. Last PC game that I played were Starcraft and Warcraft III series. PC gaming just isn't my thing, I prefer most of the exclusives that the big 3 have that most won't be on PC. That's just personal preference. I have nothing against people who enjoy PC gaming, that's cool but the only thing that I'd mostly be interested in on the PC would probably be 3rd party games that more than likely will release on a console that I own. Having something in 4K or the highest resolution possibly as at the bottom of my list of things. I'm pretty sure we've had a similar headbutting thing before when I mentioned that I enjoy playing on my Wii U pad and you went 'EH!?'. It's going to be something that we aren't going to understand each other on.

$500 upscaler? Uh...another thing that we won't understand each other on because I would never pay for that lol.

I agreed about 60fps. 60fps on most games is a game changer and like I said that's what I'd care about. I can't say anything about Colors feeling slightly off since I personally didn't have that issue.

I buy games usually for what the company is making for said game unless that's actually an official feature of said game (I.E. Mario Maker or Fallout 4). Mods can be great but I'm not looking for mods to wow me...I want the initial game to do that and then when I've run out of things to do MAYBE I'd consider mods but they aren't and probably will never be the reason I'd purchase a game.( Save for maybe Ultimate Skyrim....)

Why do I care about the general opinion? I kinda don't but I'm a pretty big fan of the franchise and I'd like to see it succeed especially when the game is legit good? I'm not going to say that the people who bring up Boom and dismiss everything else are idiots so much as more so ignorant and uninformed. It's why I'd like for those people who didn't have a Wii and didn't have a chance to play this game to be able to play it. That's it...That's all.

It's not about 4k, this is more of that false stigma. It's usually about 1080p, bigger draw distances, 60fps but you're right, there's exclusives and it's not worth getting into.

It's called RGB and playing old games on your HDTV the right way! (I'm probably in the minority on this stuff but it's so cool).

They can play it on Dolphin just fine. They're just idiots who want to continue the stupid "sonic sux" rhetoric. Not worth your time.

I got to everyone! I really need to sleep more.
    edited October 2015

No, who the hell cares about the rep of a series like that? Trust me, Sega is making enough money without your loyalty.

Think of a hypothetical PC release as an HD remaster, does that sit better with you? If I said I wanted an HD remaster?

Sonic games specifically are ridiculously easy to apply mods to from SA1 to Generations to the old as hell S3&K PC port
    .Clearly SonicHuman cares about the series rep you god damn idiot. The fuck kind of stupid ass question is that? Of course Sega dont need his loyalty, but that doesnt mean he wouldnt like to see the franchise be seen in a better light by everyone else.

I dont care what you call it, or what Sega calls it, the name of this PC release dont mean shit to the conversation. Calling it an HD remake isnt going to make him care about rushing out to get the PC version if he doesnt care about playing it again. Call it an HD rerelease if you want, it doesnt change anything aboyt the conversation we are having.

That cool that the mods seem easy yo apply to these games, thats nice. Still more fiddling then a lot of people want to put up with.
    Post edited by crotchpuncha on
    Happy Halloween guys

Sonic games specifically are ridiculously easy to apply mods to from SA1 to Generations to the old as hell S3&K PC port
    .Clearly SonicHuman cares about the series rep you god damn idiot. The fuck kind of stupid ass question is that? Of course Sega dont need his loyalty, but that doesnt mean he wouldnt like to see the franchise be seen in a better light by everyone else.

See, that I don't understand. I'm a huge Sonic fan but I know that's associated with shitty fan characters, tired jokes, angsty teens and other stupid shit but you know what? Who cares? It doesn't actually influence official Sonic things and they're still going to come out with new stuff. Who cares what people online say?

"oh shit son, people on gamingforums.net don't like sonic, it hurts".
    I dunno, but big fuckin deal if he does. It doesn't hurt you one way or the other.
    I dunno, but big fuckin deal if he does. It doesn't hurt you one way or the other.

Not one bit but it made me question it.

See, that I don't understand. I'm a huge Sonic fan but I know that's associated with shitty fan characters, tired jokes, angsty teens and other stupid shit but you know what? Who cares? It doesn't actually influence official Sonic things and they're still going to come out with new stuff. Who cares what people online say?

I think you're taking things a bit out of proportion there guy...Nobody said anything about this stuff. I think you may need to chill out lol. Also your image of me is amusing.

I think you're taking things a bit out of proportion there guy...Nobody said anything about this stuff. I think you may need to chill out lol. Also your image of me is amusing.

I was giving an example of what it comes off as.

Everyone on srk is very cartoony to me.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,285
    I warned you niggas...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    po pimpus wrote: »
    I warned you niggas...

ye niggas he gonna address da point and be all loose about it as it fizzes out.

sheeit nigga.

Hey homedog, cool it with the foreboding warnings, I'm just bored and stuck by a computer.
    I regret my previous postings on the grounds that aside from Boom bullshit (which I'm not counting) this might be the worst Sonic game I've ever played.

Why? This shit is not a Sonic game.

Sonic is about using weight and being able to turn into a ball/boost in conjunction with the level to build speed/take shortcuts.

This game has a total of 3 speeds:

Walk

Run

Shot out of the canon for Sonic 06 style "let's speed up" segments.

These aren't just ground speeds you can use to better manipulate momentum to your advantage, they're your speeds for everything you do.

There are ramps, there is a spin dash but it doesn't work. Not Sonic 4/06 "haha I'm walking up the wall". Spindashing up a ramp has practically no effect, it's a binary move with a start and an end.

Parkour is a cool idea, hold a trigger go to a wall and be Spider-Hedgehog and I like it except the level design rarely makes use of it and it would work a lot better in the context of using your built up speed to propel you, giving you more of a reason to never slow down. It has some wrinkles in that I swear every platform is placed just high enough that Sonic MUST double jump climb onto it, while I'm thankful the move exists because I need all the help I can get doing the parkour sections it really shouldn't outside of that, double jump is such a lazy crutch and grabbing everything is just a waste of time.

The run button returns sprinkling its shit everywhere by making you parkour infinitely in a corner by accident because you need to hold the damn thing 99% of the game and you forgot you were even doing it.

The level design falls apart after the desert levels too.

Why are there things tied to the analog stick buttons? I keep pulling up the challenge menu while I'm trying to move.

So bottom line?

Great music for the most part.

Looks great.

Loved that Eggman is a complicated guy.

Why does my screen inexplicably get 2 giant buttons whenever I enter a level?

As a Sonic game? It's complete trash and I struggle to find the redeeming qualities.

As a platformer? It's average with constant annoyances and the most needless lives system of all time.
    I'd say watch a speedrun and see what's possible in the game because a lot of that post can be corrected with a good old helping of get good. Parkour comes in handy in tons of levels and maintaining a constant spindash is both a challenge and pretty fast speedwise. I won't disagree that there's a dip in level design quality but I feel like a lot of the later levels are really enjoyable.
    How do you accidentally hit the buttons under the stick? Are thw Wii-U sticks that sensetive? I never have this problem on the Sony or Microsoft controllers...
    I don't remember things being tied to the analog stick buttons but it's been awhile since I've played the game so maybe they did an update or something to the game for the color powers or something. Otherwise no...the analog stuck buttons are not really sensitive as far as I can tell. They take the same amount of pressure to press as Sony's and Microsoft's controllers.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'binary move with a start and an end' @smashbro29 considering this:

or this:

or that:

Do you mind elaborating?