The Sonic the hedgehog thread V.7 2017 Sonic Mania Summer 2017 + Sonic Forces Holiday 2017

Comments

• SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 17,756
    po pimpus wrote: »
    I'm glad that there's more Sonic Mania footage out, but damn it, can someone competent play? I'm tired of watching these scrubby "journalists" shitting it up.

And we still haven't seen anyone use the Drop Dash...

Game explain actually had a video earlier where the person playing did seem to put an attempt in using it. Drop dash is a technique that will see more use as people get used to the levels for momentum.
  • Little_GotenLittle_Goten No seriously, what the heck's a Kakarot? Joined: Posts: 5,598
    They're showing off the level, not trying to beat it necessarily.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    3DS: 3325-5076-0861
    NNID: Little_Goten
    Pokemon, Third Strike, Vsav, Skullgirls, Yu-Gi-Oh, Cardfight Vanguard

Gamespot put their footage up

You can see the animation for tails flying sonic in it. Someone on gaf pointed out the the only negative i could give about knux's animation that i couldnt put my finger on initially. When Knux is walking/jogging he isnt really swinging his body into it as much as his 3k sprite did. Very very small thing within a mountain of positives.
    dZAZxEd.gif

Gif of 3k sprite to illustrate
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 22,639
    They're showing off the level, not trying to beat it necessarily.

It's one thing to show off the level, it's another entirely to constantly spindash into spikes that you know are there again and again...

..and again and again and again... :bluu:
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Crack is back! Joined: Posts: 24,062
    I love the detail they put into the animation of Tails flying Sonic. Seeing him struggle to lift Sonic is great.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter 「THE SHOW'S OVER」 Joined: Posts: 2,908

Probably because from the looks of it, it's more of a speedrunning tool than anything necessary for normal completion of the level. The regular Spin Dash serves the exact same functional purpose and is easier to do.
    "You either love my motion controls...or die."  Shigeru Miyamoto
  • SaitsuSaitsu Tranquilo...ASSENAYO! Joined: Posts: 32,492
    I'm glad that there's more Sonic Mania footage out, but damn it, can someone competent play? I'm tired of watching these scrubby "journalists" shitting it up.

It's not like Speedrunners have the cash to go out and get the gameplay going.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega

Probably because from the looks of it, it's more of a speedrunning tool than anything necessary for normal completion of the level. The regular Spin Dash serves the exact same functional purpose and is easier to do.

The drop dash is suppose to help players maintain their momentum after a jump. The players who have access to the game having been making use of it or simply don't know how.
    Saitsu wrote: »

It's not like Speedrunners have the cash to go out and get the gameplay going.

Again... Not asking for pro-level play, but c'mon, these clowns are constantly running into the same spike patches they just ran into again and again... and again.

That's not the business.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 1,721
    Yea they're pretty bad, but hey at least it's not SFV early footage bad. Anyone remember ign and gamespot getting their hands on SFV before anyone when we were starved for footage, and like 90% of them didn't know how to throw a fucking hadouken. It was unbelievably bad.

I want every stage and music track in this game to be as god tier as the 2 we've seen so far, and this is going to be one for the ages.
    edited October 2016
    Sonic Sprite comparison
    1470733884-sonic-comparaison.png

gifs from the game
    a07.gif
    6QeYBzi.gif
    oUdi2Ei.gif
    tumblr_ofpv9pxOZw1rtr7mwo1_400.gif
    tumblr_ofpv9pxOZw1rtr7mwo2_400.gif

Someone was able to do a fairly good job of doing a clean mix of Mirage Saloon grabbed from Polygon's vids

Aaaand also someone posted the first episode of the second season of Sonic Boom online for those interested

One thing that's really cool about this episode is the fact that the musically reference AoStH during the last scene of this episode @ 9:41.
  • HotobuHotobu Simpsonized Joined: Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Why change the blue?
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 34,678 mod
    Shouldn't be surprised, Miller is one of the founders of Blur Studio which did CGI cutscenes for Shadow the HEdgehog and Sonic '06.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

Hotobu wrote: »
    Why change the blue?

I have no idea on the reasoning for the slight hue change on both Sonic and Knux. My only guess for Sonic is that maybe they wanted to give him a look closer to the animation from CD. Knux...uh...maybe they wanted to make it look closer to his Chaotix sprite even though they're using his 3K as a base?
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 19,962
    The Sonic 2 sprite still looks the best. the other sprites give him too much a "mohawk" imo. I also dont like the new blue col
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • Shadow AceShadow Ace The Royal Knight of the Turbulent Winds Joined: Posts: 5,132
    I just keep picturing the chipmunks movies in my head with a mix of space jam and madea

There is hope because the sonic boom cartoon series isn't that bad because they some adult humor in their too, if they can rely on that as a base not have to rely on pop culture and media references it will be worth the Netflix rental
    Once Known as Shadow Ace 50
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a rose as gentle, a song so eloquent
  • HotobuHotobu Simpsonized Joined: Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sonic 3 best sprites

Sonic 3 animations, Sonic 2 head. He looks crosseyed in Sonic 3.
  • ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 1,880
    edited November 2016
    dammit cannot unsee now

Edit: Behold your suggestion

sonic2_5.jpg
  • EphidelEphidel Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    +1 for Sonic 2 sprite
    -Bulldancer
    You get to blaze medical marijuana in peace you lucky motherfucker. RIP bruv

-Javi
    02’s can never be OG
  • Xr0s-upXr0s-up Go banana! Joined: Posts: 1,068
    Shadow Ace wrote: »
    hybrid CG-animated/live-action family film.

So like sonic x except with live action
    UMvC3: MODOK/Doom/Ammy; Magneto/Arthur/Haggar; Wright/Raccoon/Doom
    Revelator: Johnny

Youtube: Dentalplan
  • TonberryKingTonberryKing Joined: Posts: 624
    This is the most hyped I've been for a sonic game in years. In saying that it's now time for a divisive tier list of sonic games.

Top: S3+K, Sonic 2
    High: Sonic CD
    Mid: Sonic, Generations, Colors
    WTF: Everything else

• GespenstRitterGespenstRitter 「THE SHOW'S OVER」 Joined: Posts: 2,908
    And the handheld games get completely forgotten again.
    "You either love my motion controls...or die."  Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Little_GotenLittle_Goten No seriously, what the heck's a Kakarot? Joined: Posts: 5,598
    Xr0s-up wrote: »
    hybrid CG-animated/live-action family film.

So like sonic x except with live action

Eww. Sonic X was already bad enough.
    3DS: 3325-5076-0861
    NNID: Little_Goten
    Pokemon, Third Strike, Vsav, Skullgirls, Yu-Gi-Oh, Cardfight Vanguard

Sonic 1 GG - Pretty ok. Has frame issues but they can only fit so much within the GG's limits.
    Sonic 2 GG - Fucking brutal. Much better on the SMS, no spin dash hurts it.
    Sonic Chaos - Waaay too short, otherwise a decent game. No reason to pick Sonic since Tails has the same ending.
    Sonic Triple Trouble - Solid game. Great ideas, an improvement over Sonic Chaos. Best GG Sonic
    Tails Adventures - Another good one. One of the best spin off games featuring Tails
    Sonic Labyrinth - It sucks. The idea is intriguing but is poorly executed.
    Sonic Spinball - I didn't like it much
    Sonic Advance Series - Great all around. Loading it with different characters to choose gives it some replay value
    Sonic Rush - Very decent game, solid control over the rush meter
    Sonic Rush 2 - Not as good as the first, not very memorable

-Bulldancer

-Javi
    02’s can never be OG
  • YouYou Great gowns, beautiful gowns. Joined: Posts: 1,310
    edited November 2016
    Eren wrote: »

Sonic 1 GG - Pretty ok. Has frame issues but they can only fit so much within the GG's limits.
    Sonic Chaos - Waaay too short, otherwise a decent game. No reason to pick Sonic since Tails has the same ending.
    Sonic Triple Trouble - Solid game. Great ideas, an improvement over Sonic Chaos. Best GG Sonic
    Tails Adventures - Another good one. One of the best spin off games featuring Tails
    Sonic Advance Series - Great all around. Loading it with different characters to choose gives it some replay value

You forgot sonic battle :punch:
    But at least I have the memory

Rashid main

Eren wrote: »

Where's Sonic Rivals, DS version of Colors and 3DS version of Generations?
    Should probably pick up the DS version of Colors at some point...was so happy with Wii Colors that I forgot about it. Gotta find a case with instructions though.
    I never played those, so I dunno if they're worth it or not.
    -Bulldancer

-Javi
    02’s can never be OG
    edited November 2016
    The cutscenes for the Sonic story in Lego Dimensions got put up for those interested. Has some inside jokes and tons of nods to stuff for fans of the series.

definitely laughed when Knux took away Shadow's gun
    Sonic being haunted by labyrinth zone lol.
    So I watched a playthrough and some gameplay footage of the free roam for the Sonic game in Lego Dimensions out of curiosity to see how TT handled making the stages (especially considering they made Sonic 3D Blast). They definitely put a lot fan in jokes and a good amount of references in this game. It's almost a shame that it's attached to Lego Dimensions. I say that because while the writing for this game spectacularly hammy in the best way the gameplay for the most part is what you expect for a Lego game in most areas. Some of the boss fights look like they take a long time for no reason other than I suppose as an attempt to fluff it out. There are times when the game looks pretty quick and it looks like it controls well from the gameplay footage and then there will be some inexplicable glitches or some janky movement...especially when going through loops in the game. Was kinda hoping to see TT's ideas for controlling Sonic in free roam space but it's about as imperfect as everyone elses...oh well.

Something else that's kind of interesting is that any zones that came from 1-3k had mock music in place of the real music from the stages. Like...you'd listen to it and be like 'hey this sounds like Green Hill Zone....but...it ain't quite'. I'm guessing it really wasn't worth it to get Nakamura and them to let them use the music. Anything that was a stage from Adventure or if possible they could use one of Jun's song to fit they went ahead and used it. Definitely noticeable when Sonic went to Labyrinth Zone and they used the music from 4's Lost Labyrinth Zone.

Anyway here's some highlights I remember watching that weren't in the vid earlier:

Shadow's mission in a free roam to collect THE ULTIMATE FLOWERS (Sonic will often randomly reference Sonic R while roaming around in free roam...you'll hear it in during the mission 'It all starts with this...an arrangement containing the ultimate flowers!'
    Knux referencing his stage music and themes from SA and SA 2
    Sonic comes across Omochao while in Marble Zone, there is much regret
    Sonic and Eggman's banter at the beginning of the Egg Robo fight
    Omochao references Tails' theme while rebuilding Tails' workshop

Some other things include Omochao calling the barrels from Carnival Night Zone 'The Barrels of Doom', there's also a reference to Sonic CD when you do the Free Roam Tails mission since you have to blow up the robot builders and a mechanical flower takes its place, you go into lava reef zone they have the mural in place from where Sonic fought Knux that references Perfect Chaos and you can also reach Hidden Palace Zone from there, when you reach Hidden Palace Zone Eggman pops out of nowhere clearly getting ready to steal the master emerald but doesn't if you don't have the chaos emeralds (don't know what happens when you do yet), they have a snow boarding race in Ice Cap Zone complete with 'Be Cool, Be Wild and Be Groovy', and you can fly all the way up to the Death Egg that high above in Free Roam and enter an area that's like a mix of Death Egg Zone from 3K and Crazy Gadget from SA2 with music from Crazy Gadget.

So yeah...a lot of fan stuff...pretty interesting to see what they did.
    Lego Sonic stuff looks amazing. The fanservice TT packed into them is excellent. I want to buy Dimensions for the this level pack alone.
    edited November 2016
    Bored sitting here waiting for some Turkey decided to look up some Sonic Mania footage to see who has gotten to play the new demo since a few weeks ago

Still in the middle of watching the vid but I had to stop to post this because of Knux new idle animation at 8:38. Fiya! Other than that guys seem to try use drop dash a bit but I just wanted to share the animation.

Edit: this footage actually came from a stream done by SoA. Aaron Webber aka RubyEclipse (the guy in charge of sonic's twitter) is the one playing.
    Post edited by Sonichuman on
  • YouYou Great gowns, beautiful gowns. Joined: Posts: 1,310

Lots of new info
    But at least I have the memory

Rashid main

• Shadow AceShadow Ace The Royal Knight of the Turbulent Winds Joined: Posts: 5,132
    edited March 17
    my bet is that the gameplay will be Modern/Classic/Heroes, I think you will be able team up using the heroes engine, so team sonic sonic/knux/tails etc.

id be surprised if this was just sonic again
    C7EwWUaVwAA1dVg.jpg
    my bet is that the gameplay will be Modern/Classic/Heroes, I think you will be able team up using the heroes engine, so team sonic sonic/knux/tails etc.

id be surprised if this was just sonic again
    C7EwWUaVwAA1dVg.jpg

Well are you prepared to be surprised?

Impressions and reports i've read so far is that tails, amy, and members of the chaotix are in the game but not playable.

Details thus far

- New engine build for the game : Hedgehog Engine 2, improving lighting, better rendering
    - Evolution of Sonic Colors and Generations
    - Reworked boost feature from Unleashed/Colors/Generations
    - Three styles of gameplay : modern (showed in gameplay), classic and an unknown one
    - Multiple paths in levels
    - Wisps are back
    - Game's set up in a world where Eggman won (fallen timeline yada yada)
    - Game's still planned for holidays 2017

Previews read so far
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/sonic_forces/b/playstation4/archive/2017/03/17/sonic-forces-extended-gameplay-reveal-demo.aspx

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/03/17/sonic-forces-gameplay-eyes-on-impressions

Also seems that the sonic series general opinion shit show has begun
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,252
    For the record I felt that Colors and Generations were both awful.
    And Sonic Forces is going to be the same tripe as Sonic 2006.
    Never pay double the retail price
    Darksakul wrote: »

Im not surprised by this.
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    Also seems that the sonic series general opinion shit show has begun
    Darksakul wrote: »

Well that didn't take long at all.
    so people are already claiming forces is going to be ass?

curious on why generations was considered bad by you @Darksakul

I don't think the series needs gimmicks, I know they want to keep it fresh and original but ill keep an open mind
    edited March 17
    Sonic Forces - Main Theme

This is the instrumental obv. States that there will be lyrics in final.
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    More Sonic music to make us nut. Or am I the only one that nuts to Sonic music?
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I can't believe how much nay saying I've seen already. Generations was great, Colors was great, and I'm sure this will be great since it's the same team

I mean, yeah Mania looks fucking awesome, but I'm sure Forces will be cool too
    Every Sonic game is met with may saying. Even Sonic Mania was met with negative reception mainly from fans of the adventure games because they feel neglected and accuse Sega of pandering to fans of the Genesis games.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,252
    Fuck Sonic Adventure, I was bored with it when i played the Demo at the Store kiosk when it was still new.
    That game keep me for years from buying a Dreamcast.

This is the last Good Sonic game
    Title_Screen_Sonic_3_and_Knuckles.png

Never pay double the retail price