The Sonic the hedgehog thread V.7 2017 its been generations since the last good sonic game

Comments

• Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,199
    edited November 2015
    How do you accidentally hit the buttons under the stick? Are thw Wii-U sticks that sensetive? I never have this problem on the Sony or Microsoft controllers...

I'm playing the PC version with a PS3 controller. Left stick brings up a menu, so does right stick.
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    I'd say watch a speedrun and see what's possible in the game because a lot of that post can be corrected with a good old helping of get good. Parkour comes in handy in tons of levels and maintaining a constant spindash is both a challenge and pretty fast speedwise. I won't disagree that there's a dip in level design quality but I feel like a lot of the later levels are really enjoyable.

I'm watching these videos, it does look more fun with the spindash being continuous, though it would have been nice if it was apparent how to do that.

For all the pointless notifications it really doesn't explain how to play the game at all.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    Smashbro29 wrote: »
    How do you accidentally hit the buttons under the stick? Are thw Wii-U sticks that sensetive? I never have this problem on the Sony or Microsoft controllers...

I'm playing the PC version with a PS3 controller. Left stick brings up a menu, so does right stick.
    I'd say watch a speedrun and see what's possible in the game because a lot of that post can be corrected with a good old helping of get good. Parkour comes in handy in tons of levels and maintaining a constant spindash is both a challenge and pretty fast speedwise. I won't disagree that there's a dip in level design quality but I feel like a lot of the later levels are really enjoyable.

I'm watching these videos, it does look more fun with the spindash being continuous, though it would have been nice if it was apparent how to do that.

For all the pointless notifications it really doesn't explain how to play the game at all.

Sure, and that's a fair point. But most Sonic games have tons of things that make the games more enjoyable that aren't taught because they're either unintended or not necessary to play/complete the game. Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't teach you spin dash storage either but if you aren't going crazy with the spin dashes you're missing out on a lot of the game, or spindash jumping to make your own shortcuts. Some people would probably be upset to hear this statement, but in my opinion Lost World is the closest the series has been to the Classic games in a long time. No boost, just spindash, you really have to work for your speed, and there's a more even flow between speed and platforming, it doesn't feel like Colors or Generations where every time the camera turns sideways it's like playing a different game entirely. Colors and Generations by most accounts are better games and now isn't the time for that argument, but I really like how Lost World handled things.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    edited November 2015

Sure, and that's a fair point. But most Sonic games have tons of things that make the games more enjoyable that aren't taught because they're either unintended or not necessary to play/complete the game. Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't teach you spin dash storage either but if you aren't going crazy with the spin dashes you're missing out on a lot of the game, or spindash jumping to make your own shortcuts. Some people would probably be upset to hear this statement, but in my opinion Lost World is the closest the series has been to the Classic games in a long time. No boost, just spindash, you really have to work for your speed, and there's a more even flow between speed and platforming, it doesn't feel like Colors or Generations where every time the camera turns sideways it's like playing a different game entirely. Colors and Generations by most accounts are better games and now isn't the time for that argument, but I really like how Lost World handled things.

The thing is they're fun without that one hidden technique. I had no idea you could abuse the levels in SA1 or 2 as a kid, it was fun to do the levels as intended for me.

I asked a friend and he told me it's LT, Jump button mash, hold LT, press LT everytime you land for free unlimited full spindash and I got it down pat and its basically a slower more convoluted boost mechanic.

Lost World looks and sounds like a classic game but really doesn't play like one. The speedruns I saw rely on memorizing the level and boosting under the guise of a spindash. The "work" is that technique and not bumping into anything.

And Lost World still suffers from the 2-d segments not meshing naturally with the rest of the game. Everytime it went to 2d I felt this sense of "oh god, not this again".

I do like parkour though, without the annoying slow ledge shit and an organic speed system that could be a cool mechanic that makes it even more rewarding to go fast.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330

The thing is they're fun without that one hidden technique. I had no idea you could abuse the levels in SA1 or 2 as a kid, it was fun to do the levels as intended for me.

I asked a friend and he told me it's LT, Jump button mash, hold LT, press LT everytime you land for free unlimited full spindash and I got it down pat and its basically a slower more convoluted boost mechanic.

Lost World looks and sounds like a classic game but really doesn't play like one. The speedruns I saw rely on memorizing the level and boosting under the guise of a spindash. The "work" is that technique and not bumping into anything.

And Lost World still suffers from the 2-d segments not meshing naturally with the rest of the game. Everytime it went to 2d I felt this sense of "oh god, not this again".

I do like parkour though, without the annoying slow ledge shit and an organic speed system that could be a cool mechanic that makes it even more rewarding to go fast.

You don't need to keep jumping for the spindash. Also that complaint could be made of the classic games as well. You just memorize the levels and when to spindash. Memorizing the levels in the classic games is even more of a requirement because they all have multiple paths with one being the optimal path, which you need to take. Also I didn't really feel like the 2D sections were out of place. You can still go plenty fast in them with all of the parkour tricks and since you can actually control the spindash unlike the boost, which is incredibly unwieldy and makes anything but a straight line a pain in the ass. I didn't come anywhere near the level of dread you did.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    edited November 2015

You don't need to keep jumping for the spindash. Also that complaint could be made of the classic games as well. You just memorize the levels and when to spindash. Memorizing the levels in the classic games is even more of a requirement because they all have multiple paths with one being the optimal path, which you need to take. Also I didn't really feel like the 2D sections were out of place. You can still go plenty fast in them with all of the parkour tricks and since you can actually control the spindash unlike the boost, which is incredibly unwieldy and makes anything but a straight line a pain in the ass. I didn't come anywhere near the level of dread you did.

No, of course not. But it's how you get away with keeping it going while being able to jump.

Sonic 1-3 is still fun even if you don't do that, when I started I played slow as balls and I had the time of my life do you see my point? Without this hidden spindash thing this game is miserable and even with it so many of the levels are fighting you/stupid gimmicks it hardly even matters.

You'd go faster in those segments with an Unleashed style boost for sure and the issue with 2d is that they're not terribly exciting and they always feel so gimmicky, either due to actual gimmicks or because the controls just feel sort of wrong for 2-d.

Also another thing is this stupid homing attack system. How am I supposed to know what to kick and what not to kick? ESP? I mean, you have to kick egg pawns to kill them, you know that enemy specifically made to do like one homing attack and run along?
  • DatSpardaUserDatSpardaUser Joined: Posts: 2,556
    Gotta say, if it wasn't for Sega's incredibly retarded decision to put the infinite Spin Dash inside the manual instead of explaining it in game, I'd have enjoyed Lost World way more when it came out.

Late game's level design is still fucking ass though.
    I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 19,099
    The Season finale finally came on

amazingly self aware of itself and pretty much pokes fun at Shadow and the fanbase.
    High Enough

If you haven't seen this before you may have questions...

• orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,636
    po pimpus wrote: »
    He's just a brick wall set in his beliefs, and no amount of logical debate will change that.

Hmmmmm so you're not talking about yourself?

200.gif
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    No still no news on any Sonic games yet aside from some rumors that have been popping up. Things seem to be leading to at least a reveal at some point this year on whatever they've been baking in the oven for the past 4 years.

Apparently I missed the fact that they roped in Richard Jacques to do the music for Sonic Boom Fire & Ice so at least that game's soundtrack has a good chance to not be forgettable.

The real reason I'm posting though is cause SMBZ revival ep 1 came out

30 minutes and Alvin does a pretty good job completely redoing the first ep with what he knows now. Episode even eye catch intermissions in it.
    High Enough

• Shadow AceShadow Ace The Royal Knight of the Turbulent Winds Joined: Posts: 5,173
    edited January 2016
    its wild that I was watching Alvin's work in high school and now I'm nearly 30..lol

good that he still has his passion

(time is moving to fast)

its been 5 years since generations came out so with this being 25th year anniversary we may get something

@Sonichuman your av is making me think of a sonic adventure remake/reboot, rework the story and characters with the same elements; make the hub worlds larger and more vibrant,
    Once Known as Shadow Ace 50
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a rose as gentle, a song so eloquent
    Shadow Ace wrote: »

@Sonichuman your av is making me think of a sonic adventure remake/reboot, rework the story and characters with the same elements; make the hub worlds larger and more vibrant,

And cut the fat of course. I'm kinda doubtful that Sega would even think about going back and doing a full on remake of SA. It'd definitely take some reworking...that and the fact that I don't think they have confidence to make most of the other protagonists any better. Big's gameplay just needs to be cut all together. He can still be around and they can even make flash backs to what he was doing when he crosses with the other guys but don't make him playable. Tails in SA isn't bad really from a gameplay standpoint even if racing Sonic to the end goal is slightly questionable but it does kinda fit with Tails always trying to keep up with him. Knux probably needs more moves to work with...I'm thinking closer to something like an lite action game with exploration elements. If searching for emerald shards is going to stay then it's going to have to be reworked so that it's not tedious for most people. Amy's section would probably also have to be reworked to be sort of lite action oriented with light puzzle elements. When she gets to certain areas she has a limited amount of time to either defeat enemies are find out how to get to the next area before the robot shows up to try to take her away save for the areas where she's supposed to be running away from it. Gamma I'm not sure what to do with to improve him.
    High Enough

• Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 9,278
    It would take rebuilding the entire game from scratch to make it playable. SA is garbage.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing -Steven Universe: Save the Light (PS4), Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Oni Press), TMNT (IDW)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Ducktales (2017), We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - Sons of Anarchy

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,593
    I could remake Sonic Adventure I would drop the hub world entirely. The way it was in SA was sucked balls. There was nothing to do, nothing to explore and serve as an annoying way to get to the different levels. Replace with world map like SA2 level select.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Shadow AceShadow Ace The Royal Knight of the Turbulent Winds Joined: Posts: 5,173
    like you stated hawk it was just an empty world, its was only until dx where they attempted to have something to do even though mission mode was in the dreamcast version but you had to have online which was extra ass back then lol, mystic ruins was easily the best part of the experience; music and atmosphere wise it was great to just run around with sonic. hub worlds could use some work doe

something like this

Once Known as Shadow Ace 50
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a rose as gentle, a song so eloquent
    I remember Mystic Ruins being the hub I hated the most. The jungle area was a pain in the fucking ass if you weren't Tails and Knuckles.
  • SkullboySkullboy On Days Like This... Joined: Posts: 12,415
    I could remake Sonic Adventure I would drop the hub world entirely. The way it was in SA was sucked balls. There was nothing to do, nothing to explore and serve as an annoying way to get to the different levels. Replace with world map like SA2 level select.

The nostalgic part of me wouldn't want anything to change in an SA remake except for the graphics......

The rational part of me says just make it a level select system....

Like people said though, if anything good came from the hub world it was Mystic Ruins. It's no surprise for a Sonic game to have great music but the music alone made running through those areas so much more bearable. I think most of us at the time of that game's release were just excited to see Sonic in a detailed 3D world, period.

Best track that came outta' Sonic Adventure tho.....

Shit is absolute FIYAH.
    "Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are."

Tumblr (NSFW)
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,549
    edited February 2016
    That's what im sayin lol. Only CGI/Live action movie i can think of that was alright as in atleast why it made sense to do the cgi mix was Scooby Doo, if i remember correctly the movie was still wack. But yeah lol
  • Tien GoukiTien Gouki Captain Jack Joined: Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sonic to Tails CGI: Did I do that?????
    Maybe it'll be like the SA era where they're in the real world with humans but they just happen to be there, they're not the focus.
  • CloudEnvyCloudEnvy I'll drop the freaking moon! Joined: Posts: 899
    Maybe it'll be like the SA era where they're in the real world with humans but they just happen to be there, they're not the focus.
    I wish I could be as optimistic as you. I have my fingers crossed that it wont be as bad as Sonic 06 or 4kids Sonic X, but I have a feeling it will be just as bad.
    Watch me stream with my friends twitch.tv/superscrubbrothers

This is probably what it'll be like, and Im sure the movie will have a "Chris" as in a human companion but hopefully that nigga isn't the focus and just helps out or whatever. Goddamit man

With real actors involved I know damn well that Sonic will not be main feature of his own movie. The best we can hope for is for Eggman to be the central character and not a tagalong kid.
  • DatSpardaUserDatSpardaUser Joined: Posts: 2,556
    Joshkaz wrote: »
    It's time

BPt1s5bCUAAY7Sc.jpg

Can't wait for the movie of the century.

Looks better then BvS. :coffee:
    I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
    edited February 2016
    Sonic Boom Fire & Ice delayed into Fall 2016
    http://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/02/sonic-boom-fire-ice-delayed-until-fall-2016/

Also looks like Mario & Sonic for Wii U will be released in June. No word yet on what the 25th anniversary game is.

Edit: Fire & Ice is going to be really interesting....This game has been sitting in the oven for a year longer than it's supposed to so it should have plenty of polish and feedback on it. Shouldn't be any excuse for fuckups save for just poor executions on ideas.

Edit 2: Also Sonic Boom TV show is supposed to be coming back for the second season in the fall. Probably safe to say it'll be out around the same time the 3DS game releases.
    High Enough

edited March 2016
    Sonic reveal cominng at SXSW

http://mynintendonews.com/2016/03/08/sonic-special-reveal-will-be-made-at-sxsw/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    SEGA is planning to unveil something special at its Sonic Panel which will take place at SXSW in Austin, Texas. The Sonic SXSW panel will kick off on March 19th and will feature an all-star cast including Yuji Naka (Sonic Original Creator), Takashi Iizuka (Head of Sonic Team), Roger Smith (Voice of Sonic the Hedgehog), Mike Pollock (Voice of Dr. Eggman), Austin Keys (Sega), Aaron Webber (Sega). It’s not thought to be a game, so it will be interesting to see what it actually turns out to be. Keep an eye on the blog, March 19th.

25 years had to go fast, and here we are today wondering where it all went. Join the original creator of Sonic the Hedgehog, along with the amazing production heads responsible for bringing the franchise to life, for an in-depth analysis of where Sonic came from and where he’s heading going forward. A special reveal will be made as part of the celebration for this anniversary milestone.
  • CloudEnvyCloudEnvy I'll drop the freaking moon! Joined: Posts: 899
    Yuji Naka will be there?!?! I'm really intrigued.
    Watch me stream with my friends twitch.tv/superscrubbrothers
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 35,123
    CloudEnvy wrote: »
    Yuji Naka will be there?!?! I'm really intrigued.

That's probably just the Intrigunol you had this morning. :coffee:
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
    Better be the second season of Sonic Boom.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,057
    Can't wait to see Yuji Naka's face when whatever it is falls flat.

It will be like watching Ralph Wiggum's face when Lisa broke his heart on live TV...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    edited March 2016

I thought the 2nd season already was a go?

On a side note...Sega should have really just done a full CGI movie for Sonic. This in movie format would be godlike.

That panel intriguing indeed though...wondering what they did to rope Naka in for it.
    High Enough

• Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,704
    I remember being a young kid waiting every single day for Chakra-X to release the 3rd episode.

Next thing you know Sonic GL comes back next month.
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
    Sonichuman wrote: »

I thought the 2nd season already was a go?

On a side note...Sega should have really just done a full CGI movie for Sonic. This in movie format would be godlike.

That panel intriguing indeed though...wondering what they did to rope Naka in for it.

Agreed they shouldve went full CGI. I mean you see Ratchet and Clank is full CG. Like come the fuck on SEGA lol