The Sonic the hedgehog thread V.7 2017 Sonic Mania Out Now!!!!!!!

Comments

• truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,198
    I was hoping they would make a completely new bonus stage... Maybe for Sonic Mania 2...
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,147
    edited August 6
    how about this I think the blue sphere is the best sonic chaos emerald game out of all of them.
    Congrats?
    But what does that mean? First one is, well... There's just not enough reward for doing it, so it feels lame. Like yah.. I did it.. *silence* ... 2 was cool to look at when you were a kid, but playing it, its more frustrating than fun. 3 and knuckles, isnt really that fun either, but they arent that hard, more a means to a end so it felt it had a purpose even if they are tedious. Plus unlike 2 which had no saves which made the fact that you had to go through them every single fucking time if you wanted to play as super sonic as a kid(unless you used birthday code or whatever).. 3 and knuckles again tedious but you knew what it was for so it was easier to accept as a necessary evil.
    I never really understood finding the Special stages in 2 frustrating. It's no more memorization then the Blue Sphere and only the last two are remotely tough, and you can get 2 to 3 or sometimes more shots at one PER act. I could see finding them not fun (I mean not really I love them, but hey I don't like Blue Sphere, different strokes an all) but frustrating, or more frustrating then Blue Sphere? I really don't see it.
    As for hyper sonic being stupid, well what else would you have besides him?
    I dunno, something actually cool instead of a boring pallet swap with a screen clear? I'd honestly be down with collecting them unlocking a new zone with 2 to 3 more acts then a lame pallet swap that does what the previous did only all colors of the rainbow skittles an shit. When I play through Sonic 3&K these days I stop going for emeralds after I have the first 7 because the reward is lame as fuck and not worth the time. I unlocked the extra zone and the initial OP as fuck power up, that's plenty. Super Emeralds as done in S3&K are the definition of redundant. Here play 7 more blue sphere boards to collect 7 things you basically already have to unlock a new (Not really) super form....that you basically already have. They really only exist due to the development nature of Sonic 3 and Knuckles as forced stand alone titles instead of the one big title they where supposed to be from the jump.
    I mean very very rarely can I ever think of any game what so ever where the mini game was more fun than the reward. Im trying to think of it now, and fuck me I cant even think of any off hand but im sure im forgetting some. So again you gotta give the player something to look forward to that justifies it.
    I'm not arguing against a meaningful reward, I absolutely want one that's worth the time and effort, I'm simply saying Hyper Sonic is neither of those things. They can do better.

But honestly I wish the game had more new going for it anyway. I'm super hype for the game, can't wait, but damn does it have a shit load of throw backs in it. Almost feels like Generations 2. It's not inherently bad, I really liked Generations, but I would like more new stuff...I'd have been fine with the throw back Zones stopping at Green Hill honestly.
    I was hoping they would make a completely new bonus stage... Maybe for Sonic Mania 2...
    Fucking this. Sonic Mania needs more new in it imo. I love that it's a new Sonic game that looks and plays like old ones, but even the old ones had new shit in them compared to what came before. This game should have brand new special stages, not old ones. I love Sonic 2s Half Pipe Special Stages but I wouldn't want them for Mania, and especially not Blue Sphere. I can clap the Knuckles Cart on Sonic 1 and play over 100,000,000 (Not exaggerating) Blue Sphere stages. We sure as shit didn't need new ones :rofl:
    Post edited by crotchpuncha on
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    edited August 6
    I'm starting to believe Sonic Mania got a budget akin to a modern Capcpom fighter, and Taxman and co. are just doing the best they can on ramen noodle money.

The difference is that unlike the unpaid interns Capcpom slave labors, these guys actually give half a shit about the work they do.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Went ahead and put the moola down for Sonic Mania. Now to wait until next week!
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,522
    If that 2 player mode doesn't have online play I'm raging

If it does it's the GOAT Sonic game
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,100 mod
    edited August 9
    It says "locally", probably means no online.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,472
    Who needs Net play, we got OLD SKOOL Sonic with the better version Sonic Split screen multiplayer
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,690
    edited August 9
    I would destroy Jack if the races were online.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I used to love 2player on mystic zone in Sonic 2 with my cousin.

Good times.

PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
    Jack Frost doesn't have friends to play with.

Yes, a grown man doesn't have friends to come over and play split screen with in Sonic.
    CRYING

I'd just do what I did on Sonic 2. Camp a mystery box and when you got towards the end, jump on it hoping it was the one that traded places
    CRYING
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,147
    Jack_Frost wrote: »
    Jack Frost doesn't have friends to play with.

Yes, a grown man doesn't have friends to come over and play split screen with in Sonic.
    Its ok man, I'm sure if you ask nicely, and share some of your bud, your cat will be happy to play with you.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,612
    edited August 9

I'd just do what I did on Sonic 2. Camp a mystery box and when you got towards the end, jump on it hoping it was the one that traded places

Thats a pretty dumb strat if its anything like sonic 2. Being the first to finish the stage didnt guarantee a win.

Edit: this is also not counting the 1/6 losing gamble everytime you hit a box.
    Sonichuman wrote: »

Thats a pretty dumb strat if its anything like sonic 2. Being the first to finish the stage didnt guarantee a win.

Whatever else you're talking about isnt how I played it. Pick stage. First to the end won
    CRYING

Whatever else you're talking about isnt how I played it. Pick stage. First to the end won

Regardless of whatever smash bros. house rules you want to implement the strat is losing with the random boxes not being in your favor. 1/6 is probably being generous.
  • BlindknaggBlindknagg There's the truth of time and the truth of legend. Joined: Posts: 3,827

Regardless of whatever smash bros. house rules you want to implement the strat is losing with the random boxes not being in your favor. 1/6 is probably being generous.

I dunno. Jack got zero luck in love (close relatives doesn't count) so he's probably able to pull wins out of his ass like he's the protag of a gambling anime at this point.
    (> ̄▽ ̄)> nigga this
    nigga that
    <( ̄▽ ̄<)
    Mini-Boss theme
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,472
    Mini-Boss theme

Has a Sonic CD feel to it
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."

Never said it was a legit strat man. Just funny to do. Jesus Christ
    CRYING

Never said it was a legit strat man. Just funny to do. Jesus Christ

Internet is a hard place to detect sarcasm.
    Soo guy who did the speedrun before improved on it...
    OK one thing kinda bugging me. Why is Sonic the only character who can use shield abilities? It made sense in S3&K when Sonic's special ability (insta-shield) was weak in comparison to Tails and Knuckles but now that Sonic has the dropdash I don't really get the rationale...
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    OK one thing kinda bugging me. Why is Sonic the only character who can use shield abilities? It made sense in S3&K when Sonic's special ability (insta-shield) was weak in comparison to Tails and Knuckles but now that Sonic has the dropdash I don't really get the rationale...

Because it's not as powerful as flight or gliding. It's flight. In a platformer. Heck all of the shield abilities are simply more jump height or a speed up from a jump, so only the latter is an ability Tails and Knux don't get to use. But the offset is fucking flight and gliding lol
    Instashield was not weak...if anything it probably too good. Putting a disjoint hitbox out around your body for a split second makes attacking enemies easier. Tails and knux cant attack the ball enemies with the circle spikes around them without sacrificing a shield or taking damage, sonic with insta shield blasts through those guys. Its way easier to kill those guys quick moving down stab robots in Death egg as well.

In any case real reason I came in here was to mention that mania on switch has had its street date broken. Someone was streaming the game and sega killed it, he attempted again and sega killed it again. Some interesting revelations though....Infinite might be tied to both Forces and Mania.

https://streamable.com/yxast
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    Great... so we gotta deal with shitty OC Donut Steal Infinite in Mania too?

I knew Sega would find a way to Capcpom this game...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • de BLOOde BLOO It's pronounced dee BLOO. Joined: Posts: 4,488
    edited August 10
    Whatever. Sonic Forces is super fucking lame. Embrace the OC deviantart shit all you want, miss me with that gay shit.

Sonic Mania is the last game I buy from this series the way things look right now
    GT: Hector Garfria PSN ID: Hector_Garfria
    I don't care about the storyline in a Sonic game. OC edgy villain isn't going to affect my enjoyment of Mania if he's in it.
    If Infinite is in the game it isnt going to affect gameplay of the game aside from being a boss so old school fans can put the torches and pitchforks away.
    Ah god im getting spoiled in all the things in this game and its making the wait that much harder! Somebody stop me lol!
  • dialupsuckydialupsucky FINAL SHOWDOWN Joined: Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    anyway have more of the stream or?? i saw like 10 mins on VK and thats it... can someone spoil more for me? I Dont mind it
    YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm ready man.
    I need next Tuesday to come early.
  • dialupsuckydialupsucky FINAL SHOWDOWN Joined: Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ok found it the full thing spoiled myself a bit.... little let down gotta be honest from the few "new"/and old stages I saw. Not to horny about the music either. Was hoping for a little more. After watching it I kinda got that feeling in my stomach that I got my hopes up.

Still a lot of game left to be seen so will see
    so anyone want to come over and play splitscreen?
    CRYING
    Sega was going to try to wait till monday supposedly but looks like their hand got forced
    In regards to the possible connection between Forces and Mania: If I remember correctly I thought I saw classic sonic in Forces perform the drop Dash in a vid of gameplay. Didnt think much about it at the time but kinda fuels the rumor a bit. Speculation is that of this is legit then Sonic from this game gets dropped into Forces.
    so thus far the Infinite rumor hasn't panned out.

supposedly some news about mania is going to be livestreamed today or tomorrow
    kOAXI4D.png
    edited August 11
    Sooooo...the news was that pc version is getting delayed aaand they did an unboxing of the collectors edition...

They werent happy with the quality so they delayed it, if you preordered it on pc you get sonic 1 for free so...i guess thats a thing.
  • EphidelEphidel Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 11
    d3v wrote: »
    2 player mode is more like Sonic 2 where you play on an actual level, and not a track with laps like Sonic 3.

Man, that pissed me off when I was a kid. The developers also trolled us by adding Knuckles, which blew my mind because he couldn't do shit lol. They had no idea what abilities he was going to have in the early stages of Sonic 3 hahaha. Most of the tracks were boring, too short, or simply not creative.

2 player Sonic was so much fun. I remember there was a chokepoint in the Mystic Cave zone 1 where those spike blocks would come out. If the player somehow got to there first and stood on all 3 there was absolutely NO way of jumping past that. The other player was just fucked because Tails couldn't fly and Sonic didn't jump high enough :lmao: my friends used to throw the controller over that shit hahahaha.

I'm sorry. Humor me!!
    Fightcade: Ephidel
    Sooooo...the news was that pc version is getting delayed aaand they did an unboxing of the collectors edition...

They werent happy with the quality so they delayed it, if you preordered it on pc you get sonic 1 for free so...i guess thats a thing.

I wanted to buy the PC version. :bawling: Fuck, the PS4 it is then.
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,035
    edited August 12
    i'M rEaDy! I'm ReAdY... fOr AuGuSt 15Th!!!!!.........................

With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
    Looks like the forces tie in might be real. Some footage of the last final boss are out there. Havent watched any footage but from what im reading thing are looking likely.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think the last time I bought a Sonic game was...Sonic Advance? Will definitely be getting Mania on the Switch.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    Gasaraki wrote: »

Because it's not as powerful as flight or gliding. It's flight. In a platformer. Heck all of the shield abilities are simply more jump height or a speed up from a jump, so only the latter is an ability Tails and Knux don't get to use. But the offset is fucking flight and gliding lol

Hmm, but Sonic can jump higher, and the drop dash can make some new tricks possible... Regardless I think it would just be cool if Tails and Knuckles could use shield abilities. Knuckles with a double jump, tails with the flame dash... I don't know, it would be interesting I think.
    Yeah, he can jump higher, but that doesn't matter to Tails, and there's many things Knux can avoid because of climbing.

I'm not saying it would be dumb or something, but I don't feel like it would actually add much besides being like "heh, cool"