The Sonic the hedgehog thread V.7 2017 its been generations since the last good sonic game

Comments

• DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,568
    I started the franchise in '94. Late compared to some of you.

I personally enjoy Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 to some extent, but they haven't aged well. I'm in the minority that likes Sonic Heroes and the Sonic 4 games.

Shadow the Hedgehog is a bad fanfic with a budget. Sonic '06 drove me to play the old games exclusively for almost two years.

Sonic Unleashed was a train wreck, but I still liked it tbh. Colors was cool, Generations is amazing but suffers some input lag on Xbox. Looking forward to these two new games, though Project 2017 appears to be going back to the super-dark crappy fanfiction route. We'll see, hopefully it's still good.

From the time of Shadow the Hedgehog up to Colors the only Sonic games I played were the handheld ones. Advance and Rush series filled my Sonic niche nicely. Rivals games on PSP were ok.

Never played the Rivals games, but I liked the other handheld games for the most part. Sonic Generations 3DS has shoddy level design though.

Im plaging through Generations 3ds now and I agree. Theres been some wtf stuff ive encountered so far
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,830
    LabrysXII wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of special stage we're gonna get in Sonic Mania? It could be something original, or maybe something similar to past games?

I'm hoping for the return of the original game's bonus stages. I've always like it more than the pipe bonus levels of Sonic 2.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • CyntalanCyntalan The Metamoderator™ Is Here Joined: Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I wonder what kind of special stage we're gonna get in Sonic Mania? It could be something original, or maybe something similar to past games?

I'm hoping for the return of the original game's bonus stages. I've always like it more than the pipe bonus levels of Sonic 2.

I don't know if I can cop to that, but I can safely say that it's still better than 3&K's. *shudder*

I still have a hard time deciding on whether I prefer 2 or 3&K. I tend to give the edge to 3&K, but it's the only one I have never gotten Super Sonic on. Fuck those bonus levels with a cactus.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

"NO! NOT LIKE THIS!" - Random audience member, Evo 2k9 SC4 finals. Go Hilde!
    "You are a weird, adorable little man, OZ." - Vynce
    "I violated marc but we definitely cool now." - dre37k
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,830
    Cyntalan wrote: »

I don't know if I can cop to that, but I can safely say that it's still better than 3&K's. *shudder*

I still have a hard time deciding on whether I prefer 2 or 3&K. I tend to give the edge to 3&K, but it's the only one I have never gotten Super Sonic on. Fuck those bonus levels with a cactus.

3&K were the worst bonus stages I ever played. Those stages give me motion sickness.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    d3v wrote: »

Weird, I have an easier time getting all the emeralds on 3&K than on 1 or 2.

I don't like ANY of the bonus stages but 3&K were my preference simply because I could actually complete them consistently. 1 felt too random and 2 has no forgiveness for errors at all on the later stages. I actually was kinda ok with the Sonic CD ones.
  • Tien GoukiTien Gouki Captain Jack Joined: Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 2016
    I really did tear up a bit during the Sonic Mania trailer. I haven't given a shit about the series since Sonic Adventure. I hope some more long dormant Sega franchises return in a similar fashion.

There was a Streets Of Rage nod in one of the levels of the trailer. I really seriously do hope that means something. They actually DID try to make a new Streets Of Rage at least 3 times since Streets Of Rage 3 too. Once on dreamcast and that became Fighting Force. And two more more recent gen attempts. Check the site unseen 64 for a lot more info on that.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,131 mod
    Gasaraki wrote: »

Weird, I have an easier time getting all the emeralds on 3&K than on 1 or 2.

I don't like ANY of the bonus stages but 3&K were my preference simply because I could actually complete them consistently. 1 felt too random and 2 has no forgiveness for errors at all on the later stages. I actually was kinda ok with the Sonic CD ones.

To me, 3&K's felt like they was more thought involved since they were more about figuring the layout of the stages out and finding the best path.
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,241
    Yeah I preferred 3&K special stages as well. Not only are the layouts cool, but the ever increasing speed really gets me pumped.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 22,078
    edited July 2016
    I like Sonic 2s special stages best. They are the hardest without being a pain in the ass which is how I feel Sonic 1s stages are, and they are more fun and interesting visually then Sonic 3&Ks. Also the music is fucking tits. I should make that my new phone ringer now that I think about it.

Sonic 2s are def harder as Gasa said, there does become very little room for error in the later ones, But I dont mind that very much because I can get mutliple shots at them each stage if Im willing to rebuild my ring count and hunt down another post (Which these days I know where they all are). You can even snag multiple Emeralds per Zone if you don't fuck the runs up. I like that. I can have Super Sonic by like...the 3rd or 4th set of Zones or something when care enough to really go after them.

The 3rd games special stages are cool tho, I like the puzzle aspect of them and the way your sorta timed by making the stage speed up as you take longer is cool, but I kinda dislike how you can fuck them up and make them unwinnable till next try, and since the game only has so many big rings, I dunno kinda rubs me wrong.

I love the idea of hiding the big rings in the stages tho, that was a really great idea and over all better then collect 50 rings and hold onto them until you trigger a specific condition which always felt a little arbitrary as a design choice. Hiding the big rings instead works them into the level design. Smarter imo.

I hate Sonic 1s special stages. They fucking suck. Thankfully the Emrralds are useless in the one so I never bother unless I want a continue or something.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,801
    Let's address some facts here.

-fuck the sonic adventures era.
    -set an genesis era>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>all eras after it.
    -Sonic adventure and modern designs are fucking shit.

Who are you?

Probably senin.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    Once you figure out the tricks though, it becomes much harder to fuck the S3&K ones up. Basically, just box square formations up to turn them into rings, making sure you have large clear areas as the speed ramps up.
    Yea and once you know the ring and bomb placements in the second one it becomes a lot harder to fuck up to, they arent randomized or anything.
    Once you figure out the tricks though, it becomes much harder to fuck the S3&K ones up. Basically, just box square formations up to turn them into rings, making sure you have large clear areas as the speed ramps up.

I hated the controls of it, mostly. I could figure out the things sometimes, but with how picky turning was, that meant nothing. And by the time you got to the end when it was really sped up, it felt like I was trying to do Clinger Winger on Battletoads. Fuck that noise.

• Little_GotenLittle_Goten No seriously, what the heck's a Kakarot? Joined: Posts: 5,608
    As someone who typically doesn't bother with special stages, I always figured that S3&K would be considered the easiest. They were for me. o.o
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Retiring from fighting games, at least temporarily. My execution sucks.
  • YouYou Mediocre Clarinet Player Joined: Posts: 2,358
    Are you guys seriously suggesting the sonic adventure era is good.

Yeah let's pretend every post Genesis sonic game is good. Why else do you think sonic's reputation has gone to shit in the last decade.

I liked it
    Can my anti air please not trade
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,265
    It would be sick to somehow fuse the S2 bonus stage with S3K bonus stage. Or just make actual race tracks where you have to beat Eggman to the Chaos Emerald.
    I'm making a fighting game!
    SRK thread - Discord server.
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,199
    Sonic 2's special stages make me mad as hell. I swear I can't see that shit coming.
    Regarding returning classic stages, aside from Green Hill, there are a few more from 1, 2, 3 & K that I'd like to see remixed for Mania. Especially some of the later ones from 3 & K which introduced some interesting mechanics (like the fading light in Sandopolis which powered up the ghosts, or the gravity in the Death Egg).
    Starlight Zone would be dope, but Id rather it for Sonic Gen 2. Same with Ice Cap.
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,704
    You know no one ever agrees with me on this but a sonic adventure style game can work provided that SEGA tightens up the controls and gets more creative with the level design. I never liked the whole press this button and the game plays itself style of game. That spits in the face of the classic games, which were about control mastery and clever platforming. Hell to be honest after just now finishing Amy's stages, her character design and hammer jumps and stuff could work in its own game.
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,199
    edited July 2016
    You know no one ever agrees with me on this but a sonic adventure style game can work provided that SEGA tightens up the controls and gets more creative with the level design. I never liked the whole press this button and the game plays itself style of game. That spits in the face of the classic games, which were about control mastery and clever platforming. Hell to be honest after just now finishing Amy's stages, her character design and hammer jumps and stuff could work in its own game.

Dude, major agrees coming at you from me. Look at my post on the last page.

I want them to use obscure zones for Mania, give me the handhelds, give me Knuckles Chaotix, get really weird with it. Also the original level looks great to me.
  • Little_GotenLittle_Goten No seriously, what the heck's a Kakarot? Joined: Posts: 5,608
    +1 for new Flying Battery and Icecap, along with Marina Madness from Knuckles Chaotix.
    Retiring from fighting games, at least temporarily. My execution sucks.
  • MegamanX-8MegamanX-8 Robotic Warrior Joined: Posts: 141
    I would like the following:

Sonic 1: Starlight
    Sonic 2: Mystic Cave, Hidden Palace
    Sonic 3: Carnival Night, Ice Cap
    S&K: Lava Reef, Death Egg

sir thank you cause I couldn't agree more with this list
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/nohonorcrew/

Cant have Honor when we dont have honor

XBL : WalkingDeadGuy9
    KI : Arbiter, Jago
    SFV: Zangief
    Pokken: Sceptile
    ST : Zangief, Ken, Ryu, N Sagat
    Fightcade : MegamanX8
    Wouldn't mind Wing Fortress Zone too.

• ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 2,213
    Unfortunately well probably be stuck shitty er i mean wacky workbench.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,356
    I know it was done in Generations, but I'd love to see Chemical Plant remixed in Mania simply because that is one of my favorite stage themes in all of Sonic.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,801
    edited July 2016
    It will be great if Oil ocean from 2 and Flying Battery & Sandopolis return, tjey are my favorites on those games.

Add the jungle cave from 2 and marble zone from 1 and i am golden.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    I'm curious to see what the roster of playable characters will be in the project 2017 game. I personally want the sonic advance gang (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream). I don't like classic sonic being here though.
    You wrote: »
    I'm curious to see what the roster of playable characters will be in the project 2017 game. I personally want the sonic advance gang (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream). I don't like classic sonic being here though.

I think fewer is better. Classic and Modern Sonic only is fine. Maybe a Classic/Modern Tails as well at most. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like playing as Knuckles more than the rest but I'd rather they just focus on making a solid game. If they actually made character specific stages for every stage I'd be more ok with it, but I doubt that will happen.

I think fewer is better. Classic and Modern Sonic only is fine. Maybe a Classic/Modern Tails as well at most. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like playing as Knuckles more than the rest but I'd rather they just focus on making a solid game. If they actually made character specific stages for every stage I'd be more ok with it, but I doubt that will happen.

I just like gameplay variety. It's nice to be able to choose between Sonic's speed, Amy's acrobatics, Knuckles' gliding etc. But I can see why some people might prefer less characters.
  • Tien GoukiTien Gouki Captain Jack Joined: Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 2016
    Starlight Zone would be dope, but Id rather it for Sonic Gen 2. Same with Ice Cap.

Starlight Zone looks like a beta Chemical Plant to me too.

Never understood why you would waste great music like this.

The mash up is pretty good too.

I just like gameplay variety. It's nice to be able to choose between Sonic's speed, Amy's acrobatics, Knuckles' gliding etc. But I can see why some people might prefer less characters.

It's not "preferring less characters" I just want to be sure that the levels are actually well designed AROUND those character's abilities. Not every Sonic game actually does this smartly, and I mean, heck, that's why the Adventure series had completely different stages for every character. But that's also what was awesome about 3&K, they actually designed areas of every level that only other characters besides Sonic could take.

I'm all for gameplay variety, but they need to provide that along side designing for it instead of just shoe-horning it in. The Sonic Advance games were fun, but they definitely suffered a bit in level design.

It's not "preferring less characters" I just want to be sure that the levels are actually well designed AROUND those character's abilities. Not every Sonic game actually does this smartly, and I mean, heck, that's why the Adventure series had completely different stages for every character. But that's also what was awesome about 3&K, they actually designed areas of every level that only other characters besides Sonic could take.

I'm all for gameplay variety, but they need to provide that along side designing for it instead of just shoe-horning it in. The Sonic Advance games were fun, but they definitely suffered a bit in level design.

I would assume more characters would automatically mean character specific stages. The other 3d Sonic games with multiple playable characters (Adventure, Adventure 2, 06) have done so.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file