Hopeless Masquerade - New Official Touhou Fighter!

HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノJoined: Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.tasofro.net/touhou135/
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Hopeless_Masquerade
The terror of the repeating disasters and the irresistible catastrophes.
They have delivered pessimism to the human village.

A gloomy atmosphere is swirling the village.
However that was not a feeling of despair.
It was more like a feeling of being cooped up.

"It's okay!"

Nobody knew who said it, but there is a feeling you could hear such voice.
Yes, if nothing was going to change, maybe isn't it okay to do anything we want to do?
Yes, we should live more ephemerally.
Little by little the minds of humans in the village have become released free, and at the same they began to disorder.

There were ones viewing the scene from a different perspective: It was the religionists.
They thought they should take over the control of the people who fell into disorder.
Because while they can retrieve the order, it was also a great opportunity to collect their faith at the same time.

The precise who have built a temple in Gensokyo, the Taoist who abandon the material world and dreams immorality.
And the shrine maiden who seeks rehabilitation.
They have all determined: this is just the right timing for "my role".

Now, take your belief as weapons, battle attractively and fight over your popularity!

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Hopeless_Masquerade/Translation/Prologue

Thanks to YoYoCheese on DL for the original post
( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
( •_•)>⌐■-■
IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
"Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
( •_•)
( ಠ_ಠ)
( ಥ_ಥ)
·

Comments

• FenixStrykFenixStryk Joined: Posts: 12
    Small talking points:
    -There's a timer now.
    -No standing/ground combat shown.
    -Meters are different lengths.
    -There appears to be some sort of +/- gauge around character portraits (Emotion?).

Hopefully a demo pops up at Winter Comiket?
    ·
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
  • Hayama AkitoHayama Akito Shiaaaa!!! Joined: Posts: 1,125 ✭✭
    Hmm, let's see, but i don't like too much the new style of draws in the sprites, still just 3 screenshots so i prefer to wait for more.
    Currently playing: Vanguard Princess, Vampire Savior, Arcana Heart.
    ·
  • zferoliezferolie Hello Nurse! Joined: Posts: 1,406
    Damn you beat me to it.

But yeah, Very excited for this. I can't wait to see this in motion, and how it plays. Plus I want to see who is in it.
    ·
  • Legendary HoamaruLegendary Hoamaru Pimp Squad Baby Joined: Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No ground combat? Hmm...Wonder if it just seems more Super DBZ-ish with flight/hovering in those screens (SDBZ was already similar to IAMP in a way...)

Was wondering when the next toe hoes was going to be announced though. Donjonathan beer money and all. Hopefully no random element like SWR.
    P.O.P Hold it down ~ Donna Goudeau

XBL: Legend Hoamaru
    NNID: LegendHoamaru
    ·
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on Wriggle, need mf bug and best member of Team 9.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
    www.twitter.com/HakethKOTB
    ·
  • stickystainesstickystaines Joined: Posts: 835 ✭✭✭
    I don't expect it to go back to IaMP, but im interested in what direction they go with. I hope they keep the whole bullet screen control aspect to it though and how it was less melee focused than pretty much every other fighter. Kept it unique.
    ·
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 285
    No cards. No weather. No shitty limit+scaling (-+N% may be something similar though). Now we're talkin'
    ·
  • Morgan of GaelMorgan of Gael Second Warrior Joined: Posts: 120
    I don't like the art style. The rest is cool though.

As Chibi said, gimme china.
    Aquapazza
    Morgan | Oboro
    ·
  • CrimsonMoonMistCrimsonMoonMist Joined: Posts: 397
    Neat to see them move away from the SWR style and try something new and I'm all for a sprite overhaul even if there'll be less characters.
    While quite different from each other, both IAMP and SWR/Soku are up there as some of my favorite fighters for their unique and fast gameplay.
    ·
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,270
    Art style is much better than the previous games (still generic moe style, but a step up above them), I hope it plays better than them too because they were quite terrible.
    ·
  • faiyezfaiyez The Puppet Master Joined: Posts: 177
    This better come with decent netplay.

Netplay is a given at this point, I just want it to be good.
    ·
  • FenixStrykFenixStryk Joined: Posts: 12
    Everything is speculation at this point, but: to pass the time, I have been looking for older non-traditional fighting games that could be similar to 13.5. Two that came to mind are Astra Superstars and the Psychic Force series, the former of which had a tournament somewhat recently. Its relevance is debatable, but it should sate curiosities in the meantime.
    ·
  • CyberAkumaCyberAkuma Unreal Black Thing! Joined: Posts: 1,365
    Ooooooo, now this is a nice surprise. Consider this now on my radar. <3 IaMP
    ·
    Tasofro uploaded their first preview of the game:

Looks like they barely touch the ground this time. Reminds me more of Psychic Force and ASW's Dragon Ball games on GBA/DS, which I wouldn't mind at all, if they make it work.

Demo will be out by the next Comiket.
    ·
  • PsychoJoshPsychoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 3,145
    Always with the weird fucking mariachi music...
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ·
    Looks pretty interesting, I suppose it's the natural evolution of Touhou-izing a fighter,
    first we had IAMP with tons of projectiles, then SWR with lots more air maneuverability and now HM taking place completely in the air.
    I like that they added wall and ground bounces, that's sure to add some interesting possibilities.
    ·
  • shamash.phishamash.phi ♪ samia dostia ari aditida tori adito madora ♫ Joined: Posts: 48
    Tasofro X Zun Back
    Gameplay demo

The Demo release Comiket 83 for only 100 ¥
    Oficial Page: http://www.tasofro.net/touhou135/index.html
    Grief Syndrome is a Excellent Game
    ·
  • d3vd3v Slide Grab Gyakunitaku Kick Joined: Posts: 27,246 mod
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 285
    Astra
    Super
    Stars
    ·
  • shamash.phishamash.phi ♪ samia dostia ari aditida tori adito madora ♫ Joined: Posts: 48

Ok, sorry, i don'know about that -.-U, the forum is too big...
    ·
  • YinYin fun fun fun Joined: Posts: 3,396
    Cho Aniki Bakuretsu Ranto Hen 2

Looks awesome
    slay this unaligned ant!
    ·
  • Zane HitsurugiZane Hitsurugi Unlosing Hero Joined: Posts: 631 ✭✭✭
    No yuugi no play
    PSN: hawkw1ng
    BBCP: Bang, Kagura GGXRD: May, Ky, Sin, Sol, Ram
    ·
    The Demo release Comiket 83 for only 100 ¥

When is Comiket 83?
    ·
    When is Comiket 83?

30 December
    ·
  • d3vd3v Slide Grab Gyakunitaku Kick Joined: Posts: 27,246 mod
    Cho Aniki Bakuretsu Ranto Hen 2

Looks awesome
    Needs more muscle flexing manly men in speedos.
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
    Needs more muscle flexing manly men in speedos.

They'll announce Yuuka soon enough, don't worry.
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ·
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,270
    Always with the weird fucking mariachi music...

what

That little bit doesn't look that bad. It already seems more engaging than the old ones to me.
    ·
    Floor bounce mechanic awww yeah!
    ·
    what

Listen to the music, they're always using mariachi horns. I tend to expect the girls to wear sombreros.
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ·
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Listen to the music, they're always using mariachi horns. I tend to expect the girls to wear sombreros.
    So anything with trumpets is mariachi to you? :rolleyes:
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    ·
    So anything with trumpets is mariachi to you?

No, mariachi music is mariachi to me. Like the kind in this game.
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ·
    http://www.tasofro.net/cgi-bin/tasoblo/tasoblo.cgi?no=62

Basic gist: Hopless Masquerade has no ground mechanics, but this isn't exactly like Psychic Force, either. It apparently has more in common with Astra Super Stars, where moving up and down functions in a similar matter to jumping. This is actually the first idea that they had in mind for a Touhou fighter.
    ·
    http://www.tasofro.net/cgi-bin/tasoblo/tasoblo.cgi?no=64
    Demo's gone gold!
    Translation courtesy of cuc and TwilightsCall of Shrinemaiden.org.
    There won't be any netplay option in the demo.
    There are no decks this time around but there will be some kind of character building system.
    There'll be some kind of bonus gained from getting "the audience" on your side.
    There's also some talk about the flight that confirms that the ground has no function beside being a border.
    ·
    And we finally get our first glimpse of the new engine!
    ·
    ^Somebody get that shit front-paged.
    ·
  • Hyper InfernoHyper Inferno Joined: Posts: 502
    I wonder what the red/white/blue health is for. White health looks like normal health that turns into blue as you take damage or deal damage, with the damage you're taking represented by red. Chip damage does not turn white health into blue health. When all you have is blue health, it looks like you might get access to supers?
    ·
  • DarkBlade77DarkBlade77 Joined: Posts: 203

More gameplay and a new character on deck.
    ·
  • factory9factory9 ARCANA HEARTO TWEEEE Joined: Posts: 985 ✭✭
    confused at 6:15

How did Reimu win by timeout when she had less health? Maybe they have some other system for determining time out winners?
    ·
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did Reimu win by timeout when she had less health? Maybe they have some other system for determining time out winners?
    Look underneath the health at the %. Basically, when you use special moves, you use up the blue bar at the bottom and it turns red. If you spam special moves and that bar hits deep into the red, your % will drop, eventually going into the negative. Basically, to keep your percent from going down, you just need to add in delay between your special moves. This is what decides the winner in a time out situation, not health. The only importance health has is for KO's.

It's an anti spam system and it's god damn retarded. Easily circumvented, but I suppose in a game with homing projectiles and instant full screen beams, it helps.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
    ·
  • MomochuuMomochuu Little ♥ Monster Joined: Posts: 14,427 ✭✭✭
    Game reminds me of the Supersonic Warrior DBZ games.
    Dante Combo Thread | Youtube Channel | Dante Tech Thread | @HelloKarinachuu
    UMvC3: Morrigan (α)/Dante (α)/ Doctor Doom (β)| Persona 4 Arena: Mitsuru/Shadow Labrys
    XBL Gamertag: Hello Momomo
    ·
  • MikuruXMikuruX ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌ Scrubby! Joined: Posts: 429 ✭✭

The percentage number under the health is an some kind of damage indicator as well as super meter indicator. When it reaches 100, yes, you can do a super move. Also, if timer runs out, the person with the higher damage output percentage is the winner regardless of health from what I've tested.

Current characters in the demo are as followed:

- Reimu
    - Marisa
    - Ichirin (New character with cloud summon attacks)

Ichirin is a close-quarter fighter from what I've picked up and as one, she's hella good. Every character has a special ability as well:

Reimu - She's able to teleport to the other side of the screen if her back is against the wall and dashes back against the wall.
    Marisa - Has 3 stars next to her spirit meter. Every special move or Y bullet (her laser) she preforms adds one star to this gauge. When it's full, her next special move or Y bullet gains additional properties, such as damage or wall slam.
    Ichirin - has a rage meter (similar to K-Groove in Capcom vs SNK 2 or the rage meter in Samurai Shodown) that fills up as she gets hit. Filling this meter causes her to temporarily turn red and deal additional damage.

Some other notable things to be aware of in the game as well as it's systems:
    • Immaterial and Missing Power-style spell cards declaration system. This involves "declaring" spell cards before you're able to use them. Declaring a card comes with a delay. Unlike in Immaterial and Missing Power, more than one spell card can be chosen per match, but once one spell card is declared, you cannot use a different one until you use up your declared card or time on your declared card runs out. You cannot actually declare until your "Blue life" (which increases based on how much damage you've taken) matches with your current life.
    • "Ultimate spell cards" (actual name unknown). Hitting opponents fills up a percentage under your life bar and getting hit lowers it. Once it reaches +100%, your character emit a golden aura and can use this special spell card.
    • The Limit system (for limiting combos) makes its return from Scarlet Weather Rhapsody/Hisoutensoku. Unlike in those games, reaching maximum Limit does not prevent you from getting hit with spell cards. When you've been Limited, you enter a White stun state that renders you invulnerable to normal attacks while downed, but not spell cards. If you get hit with a spell card, you enter a Red stun state where you're invulnerable to everything while downed.
    • "Instant Guarding" (actual name unknown). As normal from the other Touhou fighting games, guarding attacks can chip away at your Spirit gauge. However, if you guard right before an attack hits, a blue barrier will surround your character, the opponent will be pushed further back than usual, and you will take less Spirit damage. If you Instant Guard the first hit of a multi-hit attack, you will automatically Instant Guard the rest of the hits in that attack. However, if you block the first hits of a multi-hit attack normally, you can shift into Instant Guarding by tapping back during the blockstun.

Most of this was taken from the Touhou Wiki as well as testing to verify.
    Playing Scrubby Since 1996 | "You Suck But It Can't Be Helped! ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌"
    Aquapazza: Chizuru/Riannon | AH3: Elsa (Fire) / Dorothy (Love) | P4U: Chie | UNIB: Byakuya | DBFC: Miyuki / Shana / Asuna / Kirino / Rentaro
    ·
    Paletweb doesn't have the trial version, so sad....
    Still, I did acquire it through more questionable means just to see what's changed and whatnot.
    Turns out this game is like nothing I've ever played before, and that's certainly not a bad thing.
    Game's quite nice looking in sharp contrast to the previous fighters too.
    Looking forward to buying the full version whenever that comes.
    ·
  • KaoriManabeKaoriManabe Loli Member Joined: Posts: 1,012
    game seems fun
    it is funny how every combo in this game that isnt trash dizzys
    you get declare supers off for free because of it too

i couldnt dizzy people non-corner with ichirin but with marisa you get touched anywhere and its dizzy central
    swag bitch take a picture real hood nigga swagged up to the maximum 10 on my dick with that bitch on my dick
    ·
  • GpopGpop Joined: Posts: 13
    i couldnt dizzy people non-corner with ichirin but with marisa you get touched anywhere and its dizzy central
    I made a day one combo video (with only Reimu and Ichirin), but the last combo shows a midscreen combo with her (the down fist you use depends on where she ends up from the opponent after the wall-slam)

Anyways, for people confused on the mechanics and such

The percentage below the health is your "popularity" with the characters in the background. It is important for two things that I've noticed so far.

1) To get your "Last Word" when your popularity reached 100%, which are the most damaging spell cards/supers
    2) To settle ties/time-outs, as it's settled by higher popularity, not health

This works as it goes with the story being all, "who's the most popular character we all beat each other up for popularity" kind of thing, but to gain popularity you generally have to be very aggressive. As in, dashing forwards a lot gains popularity, getting hits in or combos gains popularity, and etc. Turtling, however, takes away popularity, as well as moving away or just guarding, etc.

Basically, the game encourages more aggressive and offensive play, which I appreciate since that's generally how I play anyways :V

Hopes this clarifies a lot of things
    ·
  • MormMorm Joined: Posts: 61
    The popularity system worries me.

It's made to encourage rushdown but once you've built enough popularity, it looks like you just have to sit there and turtle your opponent to death. And since you keep your popularity rate at the end of the round, you can start the round with a huge popularity advantage.

This needs further testing though, has anyone played the game thoroughly in 2 player mode ?
    « By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power, but they lie. They do not fulfil their promise, they never will. Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people » Charlie Chaplin
    ·
    but once you've built enough popularity, it looks like you just have to sit there and turtle your opponent to death
    You don't even need to rush down to gain popularity. Maybe I didn't go into super detail in my post, but like I said, as long as you put a delay between your special moves, your popularity will still go up. Especially with what's her face with the broom, her beam is a combo and boosts popularity like hell. It's a stupid system.
    ·
  • GpopGpop Joined: Posts: 13
    Problem is that if you continue to turtle your popularity will also decrease, and as long as the opponent stays aggressive her popularity will also increase.

This is only a demo though so things are subject to change for sure, they've made changes before the full release before.
    ·
    Problem is that if you continue to turtle your popularity will also decrease, and as long as the opponent stays aggressive her popularity will also increase.

This is only a demo though so things are subject to change for sure, they've made changes before the full release before.
    I've never had that be an issue, or at least I've been able to finish rounds with 45%+, while being able to keep my opponent's popularity well below 20%, meaning any negatives never came into play as either my opponent would die or the round would end with me in the lead.

Even if they fix it, I'd still be upset with the mechanic, because I'm against any and all mechanics that hinder or weaken defensive play. It's stupid and unfair, plus it leads to a watering down of the game's meta since some strategies are less effective. There's no way they could alter the mechanic that would make me happy, and the fact that in time over situations, what is supposed to be the payoff for a successful keepaway game, the winner is decided by a mechanic that hinders keepaway instead of life is much more infuriating.
    ·
  • Pete278Pete278 Yare yare daze Joined: Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭
    This is a game with no mixup, since there's no high/low or throws, they have to have a system that makes you press buttons.
    Come visit my blog http://www.frametrap.net/, the new home of the crossdressing Pirate King of down under, and get all the latest scoops on my thoughts on all things crossdressing, fighting gamey, and in between!
    ·