The SF2 Hyper Fighting Thread

Comments

• NKINKI Mashers Joined: Posts: 1,788
    Wow, I just tested out my HF board, and it was way, way, way slower than I remember. Looking back on it now, I think when I played HF, I played it on nothing but emus and Capcom Generations 5, which is why I remember HF being this speed:
    http://nki.combovideos.com/GuileHF.mpeg

(That vid was done with Capcom Generations 5, by the way.)

But now that I've played the arcade version, ST is definitely faster.
    It was a fun ten years.

http://nki.combovideos.com
    Thanks to BlazeD and Preppy for hosting!
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Man, but I remember HF being faster. Alot faster. I have played on arcades where I was like "Damn, this is faster than the arcade version I have at home"

It felt close to ST speed 3 speeds(USA). It seriously fucks with my timing because I play both ST and HF now.

Oh NKI, can you PM me and tell me how to contribute to the ST WIKI?

I have some stuff done, but alot more to go.:wgrin:
  • dbycrashdbycrash i'm here to rule pants. Joined: Posts: 254
    i played this game a ton back in the day, and still do from time to time. one of my favorite aspects about this incarnation of SF2 is that the jump-in became a more viable option due to the speed of the game. turtling became less of a dominant strategy than in previous versions for a number of reasons.

... on a more personal note; i remember seeing this game for the first time at disney world in orlando, FL. being 13 at the time and already a diehard street fighter fan, seeing this game was more amazing than the rollercoasters and fireworks combined that day. instead of meeting all the disney characters and running around the park, i spent close to 10 hours playing anyone who would come up to the machine and offer a challenge(sparing 2 hours for space mountain and the haunted mansion). probably the most shocking aspects of this game were the first time i witnessed chun throw a fireball; immediatly i thought to myself: "that has to be the ugliest fireball i have ever seen"... then came the biggest shock in the form of the dhalsim teleport; shocking enough that it prompted me to pick sim for the first time in over a year atleast. after a good hour of mastering this new technique my conclusion was "the punch/kick, f,hcf/b,hcb combinations are too laborious to master.. sim sucks anyway"(if i only knew then what i know now).

HF is nostalgia at it's best. i still consider this to be the most refined version of street fighter ever created. there are obvious tiers and bad matchups, but every character has solid strategies that, if executed properly, gives him/her a chance against most, if not all, of the cast. imho, capcom's strategy to not nerf any character, but instead make the weaker ones stronger was the catalyst which made this game so great. i remember people arguing that dictator lost his edge and claw became a beast; but that was then.. now an experienced player can exploit dictator almost as well as in CE and any character with a decent anti-air can keep claw at bay. HF will always be one of my fav. games of all time.
    random since 91'
    Obot64.com wrote:
    If anyone thinks that Hyperfighting deservers more than a thread (like a whole site dedicated to it) let me know. I have some extra webspace i would be willing to donate to such a project.

Edit: Hyper Fighting Tournament 4-15-2006 Footage on www.michigangamers.net

We have another turny coming up at the end of this month. ;p

The gief player on those vids missed SO many SPD's it's not even funny
  • SNkNuTSNkNuT Joined: Posts: 427
    NKI wrote:
    Wow, I just tested out my HF board, and it was way, way, way slower than I remember. Looking back on it now, I think when I played HF, I played it on nothing but emus and Capcom Generations 5, which is why I remember HF being this speed:

i don't know but HF seems a bit faster when i tested it on the ultracade.
    Currently Playing:
    KOF XI, NGBC, WHP, MotW, SSC, LB 2, MSA, KOF 98 UM
  • laughlaugh eTokki.com Master Joined: Posts: 1,929
    Ultracade won't be a good standard to compare stuff to.

Arcade HF is definitely slower than US ST Turbo 3. It even says so in the ST operator's guide booklet. It said something about how Turbo 2 is close to the speed of HF and that Turbo 3 is faster than HF. Mame devs are (supposedly) working on making the HF speed match that of the arcade, and it's a pretty well known issue that they're always bugged about from people.

Also, I agree that there are about 2-3 different revisions of arcade cvs2 with speed differences, but I highly doubt the different revisions of HF have speed differences.
    Rolento in SSF4!

eTokki.com - for the best arcade parts, converters, joysticks and more!
  • CrayfishCrayfish Oro of the FGC Joined: Posts: 812
    I've just tested all three revs US, World and Japan (all are numbered 921209) in Winkawaks with the CPU frequency set to 7mhz. They all run the same speed.

Crayfish.
  • polaritypolarity I'M BACK BITCHES Joined: Posts: 1,841
    Crayfish wrote:
    I've just tested all three revs US, World and Japan (all are numbered 921209) in Winkawaks with the CPU frequency set to 7mhz. They all run the same speed.

Crayfish.

I don't think this really confirms anything, as you're not running the games on the original hardware. It seems possible to me that perhaps different board revisions had very slight hardware differences (i.e. the clock speed of the processor being set slightly differently), which could account for speed differences on different cabs. Just a theory, though.
    polarity wrote:
    I don't think this really confirms anything, as you're not running the games on the original hardware. It seems possible to me that perhaps different board revisions had very slight hardware differences (i.e. the clock speed of the processor being set slightly differently), which could account for speed differences on different cabs. Just a theory, though.

I think it confirms that any susposed difference in speed isn't down to the different software revisions.

Crayfish.
    Hey guys, that video I sent to Preppy is up in his "zachd/mvc2 videos" thread, I hope you all enjoy it. Big thanks to him for taking the time to encode it!

Here's the direct link:

http://zachd.com/mvc2/#sf2
    Thats really interesting, thnx. I wonder if this beta will ever be released? I've never heard anything about it.

Crayfish.

*EDIT WOW thanks alot Bill and Preppy, dlding atm. Been waiting 13 YEARS to see Tomo, Thanks so much. great work :china:
  • polaritypolarity I'M BACK BITCHES Joined: Posts: 1,841
    Crayfish wrote:
    I think it confirms that any susposed difference in speed isn't down to the different software revisions.

Crayfsh.

Haha, yeah, of course. Sorry, I thought you were trying to demonstrate that no differences existed at all :confused:
    NKI wrote:

Thanks for hosting that vid again NKI, I never tire of watching those wild CPS1 chains. Have you or would you ever consider making a CPS1 combovid to go along with your CPS2 ones? That would be cool.
    btw to everyone who's not yet bought it, the excellent 'INSANITY STARTING OVER HYPER STREET FIGHTER 2 DVD': http://www.inhgroup.com/item/st2/
    features (what I'm pretty sure is) TZW's origonal Guile exhibition combovideo, that Sean said he took these combos from. Its absolutely awsome, and features imo the most badass combo in SF2. Guile: crossover HP, c.LK CPS1 chain into s.HPxx Flashkick. awsome.

Also NKI, have you ever come accross any HF related sites or info on your journeys around T.Akiba and other Japanese sites, do any of the frame data etc.. pages relate to other versions (HF) or only ST?
    I found this page of JApanese SF2 links, mainly ST I think, but maybe there is some HF stuff in there too? Anyone...:
    http://homepage1.nifty.com/camera-ya/kansyou_link.htm
    Finding Japanese info on HF is the most important next step (now that Obot has kickstarted the western tourney/ vid scene).

Crayfish.
  • KhiempossibleKhiempossible NAGEHAME User Joined: Posts: 3,254
    Anybody got details on how many stars I should be running HF on on a genesis?

I keep the standard (i think it's 3) but occasionally we play at 10 for some retardedly stupid matches.
    "Win when you can; lose when you have to; but always play cheap" - Familyman
  • fluxcorefluxcore Fighting Kiwi Joined: Posts: 311
    Some more notes on the MAME speed issue:

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to give a "use this percentage" answer. It seems that one's particular MAME configuration makes enough difference to make that impossible. In particular, the MAME version makes a difference too!

100% CPU speed MAME32 v1.03 round speed: 52s
    100% CPU speed MAME32 v1.06 round speed: 47s

(note that I can't be bothered with the command line version, so I use the GUI-style)

Quite a difference. So going by 1.06, with frame skipping on (I guess that's more likely to give correct results?) I determined that 60% speed is most close to giving a 57s round time, but is a bit slow. However, depending on things like how you have the refresh rates set up (game speed vs monitor speed, vsync etc), 65% may be closer to 57s.

I also tried a few setups without frame skipping, and it seems my computer (1.8GHz turion 64) either can't keep up 100% or something screwy is going on with frameskipping, because a round is significantly slower, requiring more like 70% CPU speed to get a 57s round.

So basically, you have to time it yourself with your own setups. Kind of sucky. Makes me wish that Kawaks supported t-hat directions in the control setup!

edit: http://www.mametesters.org/files/sf2t37b8yel.txt < This fellow reckons 65%, so I suppose I can go along with that.

--flux
    There is no knowledge that is not power
    Crayfish wrote:
    Have you or would you ever consider making a CPS1 combovid to go along with your CPS2 ones? That would be cool.
    In the intermission for Volume I, there are a few (rather bland) HF combos. Nothing special, and not even really worth the download if you ask me. :sad:

And no, I don't plan on doing any new vids for CPS1 games. Not unless I find something crazy and new, which is extremely unlikely.
    btw to everyone who's not yet bought it, the excellent 'INSANITY STARTING OVER HYPER STREET FIGHTER 2 DVD': http://www.inhgroup.com/item/st2/
    features (what I'm pretty sure is) TZW's origonal Guile exhibition combovideo, that Sean said he took these combos from.
    TZW's original Guile exhibition (I think it was called "TZW's Ultimate Guile") was basically 500 variations of the same 3 combos. The combo vid that was on The Starting Over was done by Tosaka, as far as I know. The glitch vid (The ????) was done by TZW.
    Also NKI, have you ever come accross any HF related sites or info on your journeys around T.Akiba and other Japanese sites, do any of the frame data etc.. pages relate to other versions (HF) or only ST?
    Actually, T.Akiba's site has frame data for all the old school games, WW through ST.

http://nki.combovideos.com/ST
    (See "Frame Data")
    It was a fun ten years.

Fluxcore, thanks alot for those findings. Do you have any idea if these settings can be used online? The good news is that there is pretty much an online standard with ver 0.64 so most people are using the same version. Also at some point the mame team are certain to address this properly. Seems so strange that its been an issue for such a high profile game for so long, esp as the very first CPS1 emu, Callus, had addressed it in 98.

NKI, yeah the Guile section I'm talking about is on the end of the glitch section, so am pretty sure its (at least part of) the TZW one. The grade of video looks pretty old, like something of its era. Was the origonal video ever ripped do you know? I saw it mentioned by alot of people in the US who had a VHS copy.
    NKI wrote:
    In the intermission for Volume I, there are a few (rather bland) HF combos. Nothing special, and not even really worth the download if you ask me. :sad:
    *EDIT, just watched this, I really like the Ken slow fireball air huricane kick combo. Prolly best ro reserve that as Coup de grâce I imagine :)

Thanks alot, great work on the frame data, I'll link to this in the resources next update. :tup:

If there are any combovideo makers out there interested in doing a HF vid, or even starting to compile a list, that would be a great resorce. There are alot of combo's especialy CPS1 chains not featured on any western vids. Only Guile, thnx to the Sean Guiley vid NKI reposted has been showcased. Remember anyone with a rapidfire jab or short can CPS1 chain, as well as specific stuff like vert ball stuff for Blanka, Rogs dash combos like the ones mentioned by Apoc earlier, Vega roll re-dizzies etc....

Crayfish.
    Ok here is part 4 (of 7) of the
    'GANGZHOU 2003 HYPER FIGHTING TOURNAMENT':
    GuangZhou HF3 Pg2Grp A,B,C & D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2WCSV6RP
    Some SERIOUS Ryu beatdowns!!

Crayfish.
    Crayfish wrote:
    NKI, yeah the Guile section I'm talking about is on the end of the glitch section, so am pretty sure its (at least part of) the TZW one.
    Oh yeah, my mistake. I forgot about that section. That is indeed TZW.
    The grade of video looks pretty old, like something of its era. Was the origonal video ever ripped do you know?
    Not that I know of. Maybe becase no one ever got a copy that had quality that was good enough to rip. I know my copies are pretty much unwatchable at some points (you literally can't tell what's going on, because the quality is so bad).
    If there are any combovideo makers out there interested in doing a HF vid, or even starting to compile a list, that would be a great resorce. There are alot of combo's especialy CPS1 chains not featured on any western vids.
    I'd be down for it if there were any new material to use, but I don't really think that XCOPYing old TZW combos to make a vid is worth the effort.
    It was a fun ten years.

• TaygetaVendettaTaygetaVendetta HDR Joined: Posts: 562
    HF on 360 Arcade to have release date announced "soon".

Damn this game is taking forever to come out ;_;
    "This is what happens whenever you graduate from watching shitty moe and fanservice animes, you turn into an investment banker. " -angelpalm
    Watching those vids Crayfish hosted, I saw a ryu player consistently using hurricane kicks to trade with the fireball every time he saw a fireball in the ryu vs. ryu match. How effective of a strategy is this? the Ryu player using the tactic won. But I've never seen that done before.
  • eidrianeidrian The Last Regret Joined: Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Crayfish wrote:

If any collectors are on here, check this out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Street-Fighter-II-2-Turbo-Video-Capcom-Pony-Canyon-Jp_W0QQitemZ3194104097QQcategoryZ1345QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Its a different instructional video to the Gamest one I've already posted up. I'd love to see it. If anyone gets/has this, let us know, there have been several kind offers already to rip/ host anything like this for the thread.

Crayfish.

I believe i have that Pony Canyon tape somewhere. I'll dig it out and put it up for download.
    * SRK MvC2 Mixes available on my homepage! *
    Deceive.
    Inveigle.
    Obfuscate.
  • caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Watching those vids Crayfish hosted, I saw a ryu player consistently using hurricane kicks to trade with the fireball every time he saw a fireball in the ryu vs. ryu match. How effective of a strategy is this? the Ryu player using the tactic won. But I've never seen that done before.

hurricane does more damage, and if you time it right you'll go through the fb. It's kinda like rog trading dash punches vs a fireball.
    Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE
    Ok here is part 5 (of 7) of the
    'GANGZHOU 2003 HYPER FIGHTING TOURNAMENT':
    GuangZhou HF3 Pg2Grp E,F,G & H

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VZVTAT1D
    eidrian wrote:
    I believe i have that Pony Canyon tape somewhere. I'll dig it out and put it up for download.
    Wow, that would be fantastc. Great new. Thanks Eidrian. Is it a stategy vid, combo focused of a bit of everythin like the Gamest one?

hurricane does more damage, and if you time it right you'll go through the fb. It's kinda like rog trading dash punches vs a fireball.
    Hyper Fighting RYU

Yes this is a majr strat in HF. I can see why Decoy ranked Ryu number one in this game. In the local scene I came from, in the end one player dominated, a Ryu player, and his major advantage over everyone else was his mastery of the first 'frame invulnerable Cyclne kick'. It got to the point where you couldn't throw HP fireballs at hm at all, he would spin through them every time clean and nail you. Its great for certain AA situatins too, like when another shoto jumps in at full HK range, the Cyclone will kick way out in front and beat it clean, whereas a DP will often whiff. It was even a dangerous too attempt certain combos against the Ryu player as he was so good at canceling it out of hitstun. Often you would land two hits only for him to cancel into Cyclone, go through your fireball and counter you clean right back.

We should now deffo mention the CPS1 chain. This isn't just for exhibition combos, its a major part of Ryu's game in HF. It fulfills a kind of surrogate topdown/oerhead role. You can play some SERIOUS high low games with this. The simple c.LK, s.HPxxfireball CPS1 chain is so dangerous becase it gives Ryu te ability to dizzy an opponent from cold just sanding next to the opponent, without the need for a jumpin, charge or anything else, very few characters can do this. And all you need is one close c.LK!
    You can fake going for a throw, player stands to counter, you switch to df on the stick + LK....dizzy.
    You jumpin, player blocks high, you dont thow an air attack, land and go straight into c.K...dizzy
    Player whiffs a DP you walk in, c.LK...dizzy. Its one combo that should be 100% for every serious Ryu player.

There is a nice variation of a common footsie on this latest set of Gang Zhou matches (see the first 13vs14 match). There are a number of setps off a blocked c.LK:
    Much like the blocked LP Dragon technique shown in the Tomo vid, you can bait whiffed sweeps and punish them. Like walk in throw a c.LK, then walk back, if the player tries to sweep you it will whiff and you can walk back in and counter trip or thow (using the extended throw range of the whiffed move).
    Anyway, there is a very nasty variation of this in the match I just mentioned. The player walks in, throws the c.LK but then he takes one step back and immediately jumps forwards, as the opponent whiffs wiith his counter sweep, he has widened and shortened his crossover box, and given you the perfect timing and range to land an easy superdepp crossover HK (combo into s.HPxxDP. Goodnight)

One great tip ,I got here at SRK, is using the Shoto HK Axe Kick as a tick. As an opponent is getting to his feet, stand rigt next to him and throw an early Axe Kick so that the first hit whiffs and the second makes contact meaty (this gives you extra threat of two hitbox durations), then walk forwards and throw. This is a surprisingly effective tactic.

I'm sure at some point we'll get onto THE sf2 matchup, Ryu ve Guile. There was a pretty heated argument on this forum before between members including Apoc (If I can find it I'll post it up again). Anyway, I remember that Apoc made a really interesting point about why Ryu has the advantage. He can counter all Guile's jumpins with c.mp that can then be canceled into fb to sustain pressure, (this negates the loss of initiative due to DP recovery time). This requires good timing and ranging but is a pretty awsome tactic in this matchup

Crayfish.
  • TrueSephirothTrueSephiroth Joined: Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yep...*nods*:lovin: all of those reasons are why I loved Turbo Ryu, it seems that everyone seems to have forgotten how powerful of a tool that inv. hurricane kick was. Imo, Hyper Ryu was for me the best Ryu ever in all of the Street Fighter 2 series.

Great post Crayfish, hopefully more people will take this and try to learn these things about Hyper Ryu, man I love this thread.
    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." - Vince Lombardi

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting - Ryu
    heh, back when ryu was broke, ahh the memories.

I have a feeling the HF release could trigger some online leagues to take a serious look at fighters for the first time. Before you thrash online, it's online events that create lan events. And the interest I have seen has been massive.
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    looking forward to guile vs ryu discussions. I don't understand everything about this matchup, but there's something about this matchup that never gets boring. I'd rather play a bunch of HF guile vs ryu matches than play cvs2/3s.
    Green Karin.
  • TrueSephirothTrueSephiroth Joined: Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Bill Wood wrote:
    Hey guys, that video I sent to Preppy is up in his "zachd/mvc2 videos" thread, I hope you all enjoy it. Big thanks to him for taking the time to encode it!

Here's the direct link:

http://zachd.com/mvc2/#sf2

Bill thank you! I just noticed this post up, lol, this is some good shit! Dude...a mod should stickie this thread...there's just some gold mine stuff in this here thread!
    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." - Vince Lombardi

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting - Ryu
    Crayfish wrote:

Wow, that would be fantastc. Great new. Thanks Eidrian. Is it a stategy vid, combo focused of a bit of everythin like the Gamest one?

It's like a Gamest one, just from a different studio. I uploaded it to www.combovideos.com . It's on the main page, and no, you don't have to pay to download. It's on the free match videos sections.

Filename: sf2dash-ponycanyon-vhs.wmv
    Original Filename: (???????) ?????????????? ????? ????????? [1h00m01s 320x240 WMV9].wmv
    Size: 301 MB

Hope you all like it.

PS: Also, some comments please! :D
    Deceive.
    Inveigle.
    Obfuscate.
    eidrian wrote:
    It's like a Gamest one, just from a different studio. I uploaded it to www.combovideos.com . It's on the main page, and no, you don't have to pay to download. It's on the free match videos sections.

Filename: sf2dash-ponycanyon-vhs.wmv
    Original Filename: (???????) ????????????? ????? ????????? [1h00m01s 320x240 WMV9].wmv
    Size: 301 MB

Hope you all like it.

PS: Also, some comments please! :D
    Thats a fantastic video Eidrian, thanks alot for taking the time to upload it for us. I would say despite CPS1 chains not being yet discovred, the standard of stuff they show in the vid is higher than the Gamest one. I especialy loved the Gief-Dhalsim hold in the corner into 1hit dizzy headbut juggle, thats crazy!! The only thing is that this video is for Champion Edition, not Hyper Fighting, but lots of the stuff crosses over anywy. Btw that Boxer player in the tourney was excellent, that one match against Sim with all the 'jump back overhead' tricks and TAP ticks was amazing. I wonder how good that guy was with Hyper Fighting Boxer?!? Again, does anyone have the Hyper Fighting video they could post up too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Street-Fighter-II-2-Turbo-Video-Capcom-Pony-Canyon-Jp_W0QQitemZ3194104097QQcategoryZ1345QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Btw Eidrian, dont forget to post this up in the 'Korea SF2' thread, sure those guys will go crazy for this.
    http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102064&highlight=korea

Thanks agin m8, great work :tup:

Crayfish.
  • TaygetaVendettaTaygetaVendetta HDR Joined: Posts: 562
    Crayfish wrote:

Thanks for that. From the sound of the online game, the lag will be comparable to SFAE's play on Xbox1?

Whats the default speed of HF is for the Japanese version? The gameplay videos in that preview looked slow as hell, like they had it set as low as it would go.

And is it just me, or did it look like they had cleaned up or fastened Sagat's standing kick moves in that vid, they came out at the expected speed, but looked alot smoother. Guess its some of the cleanup work they mentioned doing to the game?
    "This is what happens whenever you graduate from watching shitty moe and fanservice animes, you turn into an investment banker. " -angelpalm
    Crayfish wrote:
    Again, does anyone have the Hyper Fighting video they could post up too:

Btw Eidrian, dont forget to post this up in the 'Korea SF2' thread, sure those guys will go crazy for this.
    http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102064&highlight=korea

Thanks agin m8, great work :tup:

Crayfish.

Which HF video are you requesting? That ebay link is for the Pony Canyon VHS. If you point me in the right direction, i might be able to get it and upload it just like the other one.
    Deceive.
    Inveigle.
    Obfuscate.
  • Obot64.comObot64.com MichiganGamers.net Joined: Posts: 859
    Crayfish wrote:

woa the xbox 360 version looks hella slow! Under water fighting 2k6 :looney:
    You never know how far youve traveled until you see somebody where you started off.

The best advice comes from you.

When I say Im trying to be the best, that doesnt mean Im trying to match my actions to anybodys ideas of what it takes to be the best.

www.Obot64.com my site. I own it.
    eidrian wrote:
    Which HF video are you requesting? That ebay link is for the Pony Canyon VHS. If you point me in the right direction, i might be able to get it and upload it just like the other one.
    Yes that the one, its the Pony Canyon HF (Turbo) one. If its anywhere near as good as the Champion Edition one you just posted' it'll be great. I've just noticed how many videos Pony Canyon have done, its a shame they aren't as well know as Gamest. I noticed on e-bay one of SF1 too!!
    Obot64.com wrote:
    woa the xbox 360 version looks hella slow! Under water fighting 2k6 :looney:
    Yeah I hope the finished version isnt that slow. I dont think it will be, the video linked to in the first post looked correct speed, maybe just the footage was running at a slower speed.
    Really looking fwd to your next tourney Obot, are you gonna continue covering HF?

Crayfish.
    Crayfish wrote:
    Yes that the one, its the Pony Canyon HF (Turbo) one. If its anywhere near as good as the Champion Edition one you just posted' it'll be great. I've just noticed how many videos Pony Canyon have done, its a shame they aren't as well know as Gamest. I noticed on e-bay one of SF1 too!!

Crayfish.

Yeah, i have that as well. I'll try to post it soon and also that SF1 tape too. :P
    Deceive.
    Inveigle.
    Obfuscate.
    woa the xbox 360 version looks hella slow! Under water fighting 2k6

Given that you can often change the speed of console fighters I'd withhold judgement till the final product arrives.
  • dogberrydogberry l33t OG Sagat tactics Joined: Posts: 358
    Guile vs. Ryu

Ryu has a clear advantage in this matchup. Probably 6-4 in Ryu's favour.

Guile is at a disadvantage because his setups with sonic boom aren't as effective against Ryu. Guile is no match for Ryu in an all-out firefight and he also can't pressure Ryu with the SB effectively (Ryu's hurricane kick).

Things that Guile can do at a distance are to draw Ryu into a fireball fight, hopefully getting him to start trying to overwhelm you with fireballs. What Guile is looking for is a careless FB that he can jump over for a RH kick while Ryu is in his fireball recovery.

If Guile has the lead, try to hang on to it and force Ryu to jump in. Your AAs here are low fierce, stand RH, trip guard low fwd, and low strong (if you anticipate a Ryu jump RH). Low strong will let Guile duck under the jump RH and u can throw them when they land.

If you have to get in close you should always try to stay just outside the range of Ryu's low RH. When you're fighting in close, you have to mixup your timing and patterns so it's harder for Ryu to react to your setups.

If Ryu ever throws a FB to nullify your boom in close, you can backhand him for free damage. Another good trick is if Ryu blocks your low forward, try backhand instead of sonic boom. If Ryu tried to FB to counter after blocking low fwd he'll eat the backhand. Mixup the timing of your attacks not only to keep Ryu guessing, but also to give you time to setup your attacks with sonic boom.

Never whiff low forward when playing footgames against Ryu. Good Ryus will sweep it on reaction and knock you down.
    I actually recommend throwing booms and baiting the hurricane kick. If you know your spacing you can crouching fierce the kicks.
  • laughlaugh eTokki.com Master Joined: Posts: 1,929
    Ryu has a hard time fighting Guile in CE/HF imo. Hurricane kicks only work so often against a good guile and you would have to take a leap of faith when you do those anti-boom hurricanes. When Guile starts to throw booms it's really hard to turn the table over, since if you jump at him, he can hit you in multiple ways, jump straight up and you eat a guaranteed low forward as you land or try to do a air hurricane kick on the way down but Guile recovers safely after the low forward attemp at landing. Jumping backwards ont in Ryu favor either. Blocking the boom is the best option here and I think the best strat for Ryu against Guile is to get a knock down somehow and then doing bunch of safe jump in -> walk up low short XX short hurricane/dp/throw mixups.
    Rolento in SSF4!

eTokki.com - for the best arcade parts, converters, joysticks and more!