The SF2 Hyper Fighting Thread

Comments

• ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah random dizzy should go. LOL @ Gief headbutt dizzying instantly on hit.
    ·
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054 ✭✭
    is it my imagination or is Brankas upball done like this ??? charge down-neutral+kick-up ????
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
    ·
  • fluxcorefluxcore Fighting Kiwi Joined: Posts: 298
    From my understanding, Blanka and Honda's flash kick style motions must end in the UP direction, no diagonals. Kick comes with or after the direction. It's not like AE Vega walldive...
    There is no knowledge that is not power
    ·
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054 ✭✭
    swear to God fopr the life opf me i cant get it the same way as i would in st. anyways tyhanx flux for the quick answer. is there any yuoutuybe chanellles that gbet upsdated regurlarytl for hf matches. ? one ting that i wish weould chnge aboiut hf is that there is no charc specuialists in hf......everyone plays shotos or guile.......=/ I want to see honda masters branka m,asters chun AND GIEF MASTRES =/
    ·
    MAKES FOR REVERSAL UPLABVKS REALY HARD
    ·
    TRILE POST. IN ST MOVES THAT HIT ON THE FIORST FRAME AQRE50/50 UNB LOCKABLE.....UIS IT THEW SAME FOR HF ? IKE BLANKA BVALL AND KEN FIERCE DP
    ·
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭✭
    I love djfrijoles when he's drunk and goes rambling on the internet.
    ·
    Pretty amazing stuff :D

Anyway, HF Blanka balls are unblockable from point blank, so far I'm not aware of any other moves (including any shoto dps) that hit on first frame.

edit: to clarify, this means both upballs and horizontal balls
    ·
  • kedawakedawa . Joined: Posts: 370 ✭✭
    From my understanding, Blanka and Honda's flash kick style motions must end in the UP direction, no diagonals. Kick comes with or after the direction. It's not like AE Vega walldive...
    That seems to be the case. To make up for this, the game allows you to do horizontal ball while keeping a downward charge. So you can do jab ball and immediately followup with up ball. I'm not sure if the same is true for Honda.
    ·
    I thought of another change I'd make to my HF rom:

Give hurtboxes (vulnerability) to Ryu's hurricane kick landing/recovery. That thing is annoying to punish and a bit too abusable.

What kind of changes would make Dictator worth playing? I'm thinking maybe reduce the charge time on scissor kicks back down, but make them knock down. Might make for a very strong (re?)dizzy tool though - although that's how he plays in ST too, horribly weak in some areas but one good touch and you're dead.
    ·
    I know this was asked before but I don't think anyone's posted a definitive answer (or maybe I missed it).

Has anyone documented the differences (not aesthetic) between the SNES and Arcade versions of HF?

Is it CE or HF where there are differences between the Japanese and US versions? I remember seeing a YouTube vid showing the differences but I forgot the link...
    ·
  • CrayfishCrayfish Oro of the FGC Joined: Posts: 808
    If anyone actually has the ability to make a romhack of Hyper Fighting, please talk to me. I've thought about this a huge amount and have a big list of proposed value changes, and certainly Flux, removing the invunerability on Ryu's hurricane recovery is no.1 on the list*
    ·
    CE has some different move properties depending on region. Off the top of my head, in the JPN version, claw has the longer roll, boxer calls out the level of his TAP, and Zangief always dizzies with his flying headbutt.
    ·
  • geadomgeadom Reversal Counter Hit Joined: Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    Who´s exactly the #3 character in the game, Sagat or Ken? Sagat seems to fight better against a lot of the lower tiered characters, but ken fight him, Ryu, Guile, Chun and Honda better imo.
    "He´s different, he´s special." Pick up your spear, the only thing you can do is your best
    ·
    That seems to be the case. To make up for this, the game allows you to do horizontal ball while keeping a downward charge. So you can do jab ball and immediately followup with up ball. I'm not sure if the same is true for Honda.

I tested this and Honda has the same deal. Sumo Headbutt can retain downward charge, but of course buttdrop requires a strict up direction so drops headbutt charge. Not sure how useful this knowledge is though, really... I'm going to put this kind of info in the wiki movelists. They are getting a bit ugly with so much info crammed into them though :(

If anyone actually has the ability to make a romhack of Hyper Fighting, please talk to me. I've thought about this a huge amount and have a big list of proposed value changes, and certainly Flux, removing the invunerability on Ryu's hurricane recovery is no.1 on the list*

I'm certainly interested. I can't commit any serious time to working on it, but I'd certainly be interested in tinkering with a Hyper Fighting Remix (haha, the connotations!) at some time. I feel there aren't too many changes really necessary though, it IS afterall a pretty good game already.
    ·
    That would be cool, especially with GGPO allowing unsupported roms now.
    I'm pretty happy with it as is, but I'd like to see new stage and character palettes. I've been staring at those same graphics for decades.
    ·
    GGPO still has the problem with HF desyncing frequently though, doesn't it? I imagine giving it a slightly altered ROM won't fix that...
    ·
  • jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone mention color editing?
    vb7YX.png

Edit
    CPS1 Color format is exactly the same as CPS2 you just have to figure out the locations.
    I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. Watch live video from jedpossum on www.hitbox.tv [8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games
    ·
    Would be nice to change the HF background colors back the the World Warrior ones, the CE/HF colors are so damn ugly for the most part, but i doubt the origonal color info is still on the board/rom...

p.s they had a white gi Ken in ST, but I've always wanted a red gi Ryu!
    I think the nicest color schemes they ever did for SF2 were the colors for 2p if u 'both' picked the Super SF2 version of a character. Those were an improved and subtle take on the origonal colors.
    ·
    I like those too, especially Guile's.
    ·
    I imagine the background colour changes between versions are palette changes, just like the character colours - rather than completely recoloured graphics. But I'm not sure. Jedpossum probably knows, hell he's probably even tinkered with the bgs before :D

Might start fiddling over the next couple of days.
    ·
    A palettes colors the graphics unless they added something to the backgrounds there is nothing to worry about, and yes I have messed with backgrounds before not this game though.
    Uqqo9.png
    And, it is hard you can easily lose track and mess up to the point you have to restart.
    And, save stages for last so you have a back up where you don't have to do the characters again.
    Also, there is multiple dumps of the game for the different versions of MAME, UME out there so some people can have completely different file names inside their zip.
    Also, don't add the chain back on Ken's stage it is a bigger nuisance than the table on Chun's 3s stage.
    MAKE BACKUPS I can not say that enough
    I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. Watch live video from jedpossum on www.hitbox.tv [8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games
    ·
    So you are saying some of the elements they removed in revisions are still left in the libraries? Is Sagat's palm tree still available in CE / HF?
    Also, is the old background palette information still on there, or would it have to be re-created from the WW rom data?
    ·
    The palm tree is most likely still there.
    I doubt the WW palettes are still there since the cps1 is way smaller than the cps2.
    ·
    There's generally quite a bit of stuff left over in games, http://tcrf.net/Street_Fighter_II has some interesting SF2 related stuff, but also check out the other SF pages. It's often easier to just not use an element (or move it somewhere not visible) than actually remove it from the ROM, so laziness/time constraints kick in...

Hopefully it won't be hard at all to rip the palettes from WW and put them in HF, just a matter of locating them.
    ·
    Ok, well I spent the last day of my holiday pissing around with the HF rom palettes. I've found all the locations for the default and alt palettes for all characters, and have a process for modifying them. Current plan is to make all default palettes those from the ST old P2 versions, as you've suggested. The alternate palette is up for grabs, although I have a bunch I like (they tend to be dark greys though hahaha).
    I've also modified the intro texts just for a laugh.

I'm fiddling with palettes first because it's the bit I had no real idea how to do. Removing most of the randomisation should be trivial, editing moves a bit harder but fairly well documented by other people. Background palettes is probably the hardest - it doesn't seem obvious how the palettes work as of yet. Although the boss character palettes weren't obvious either, since even the built-in colour tests only have 1F palettes, none of which correspond to the bosses (or backgrounds). Bit weird, but I might work it out :)

I've got it all in a git repository so I have plenty of backups and version control. I'd love to put it on google code or github but I really doubt a ROM hack is going to fit into the "open source project" bucket...
    ·
    Just use mame memory viewer go to the GFX Ram find the palettes. Besides the endian the only difference between the ram and rom(with hex editor) version is the inversion on the brightness level.
    ·
    Do you mean the mame debug memory viewer with "Region: gfx"? How on earth can you find anything in that? There's no search or anything...

Or do you mean the 'show gfx' option that shows tilesets and palettes etc? I haven't really got my head around that either yet.
    ·
    You don't switch the region. 0x900000 is the GFX ram (and in sf2 it starts with the palettes). The GFX Region is the graphics rom.
    ·
    It's so much easier doing this kind of stuff on the console ports. Good luck.
    ·

Edit :

Nothing special really but I just want a little more Hyper Fighting videos out there
    ·
    Ok, well I spent the last day of my holiday pissing around with the HF rom palettes.
    Dude, this is very exciting, we really need to talk. Can u PM me your Steam account or msn?
    ·
    I'm making progress on the background palettes - but I noticed something a little odd about Dhalsim's background. There is mention on tcrf.net about the windows that are obscured by the elephants at either end of the stage (http://tcrf.net/File:SF2WWCPS1DWindows.png), but what I didn't know was the window background texture itself seems to be missing from SF2T onwards (or at least in emulated versions). Can anyone confirm that on a legit HF arcade setup, the upper corners of Dhalsim's stage are a flat grey colour (as seen in this image http://dsarena.free.fr/mugenlight/stages/ssf2-08-dhalsim.jpg) rather than a texture (as in http://dsarena.free.fr/mugenlight/stages/sf2ce-08-dhalsim.jpg question mark) I believe the same to be the case in SSF2T as well. There's certainly youtube footage from both acho and gamespot ST which shows the flat grey - and I assume they are using a legit setup!

Now it's going to bug me every time I see sim's stage because the flat grey looks really incomplete! Wonder why they removed it...
    ·
  • boogiepopboogiepop Joined: Posts: 10
    Hey guys, do any of you know what happened to that Hyper Fighting website that had demonstrations of all the main combos on youtube? I think it was made by Mexicans, as I vaguely recall it being in Spanish.
    ·
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm tempted to make an HF rom hack which overwrites all the random damage and dizzy values with just the most common value, that's pretty much the only thing I think is worth changing.

Sometimes I long for throw softening, but that's more because of online play/lag than the actual game. Or a quick single backflip for Vega :D

the only thing HF needs if proximity blocking (same with ST).
    ·
  • -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

Edit :

Nothing special really but I just want a little more Hyper Fighting videos out there
    what about sako ticks using HF Zangief? :)

'
    <blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!

Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
    ·
    Is there a way to play CE at HF or ST speeds? I know you can use CE chars in HSFII, but they lose their CPS1 chains. It should be possible because a local cafeteria used to have a bootleg CE that ran at HFs speed.
    ·
    There were a few CE hacks that added the frameskip. Where you think they got the idea from?
    ·
    Are these hacks available as ROMs? What would one need to do to implement this?

The accelerator version of CE is pretty widely known, but I have never come across that version of CE that we had locally that ran consistently at HFs speed. It doesn't exist in Mame either.
    ·
    There is a chance that it isn't dumped the mame dumping team doesn't pay much attention the hacks unless you donate money for them or a board.
    There is two accelerator versions dumped.
    ·
    I've been tinkering with a few things, and somebody might be interested in this:

http://fluxcore.blogspot.com/p/sf2pal.html

It's an HTML5 Street Fighter 2 palette editor - make sure your browser is up to the task. I've only really tested in Chrome, safari may work but will probably look blurry due to the antialiasing which I haven't fully figured out how to disable.

Feel free to share any cool edits you make, particularly awesome ones might make it into a rom hack :)

It's basically a web version of sf2-only Palmod.
    ·
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 11,887 mod
    There's generally quite a bit of stuff left over in games, http://tcrf.net/Street_Fighter_II has some interesting SF2 related stuff, but also check out the other SF pages. It's often easier to just not use an element (or move it somewhere not visible) than actually remove it from the ROM, so laziness/time constraints kick in...

Hopefully it won't be hard at all to rip the palettes from WW and put them in HF, just a matter of locating them.
    Has anybody ever extracted out the backgrounds? I love the wallpaper and have a couple images here and there, but have never seen a repository of backgrounds. That has to exist somewhere. :(
    http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382
    ·
    My next task is to pull out all the tile data from the backgrounds, to try to make a bg palette editor... :D

I'm pretty sure I've seen rips of the sf2 bgs at a site containing such things, but can't recall where, and a quick google doesn't remind me...

edit: is this more or less what you're after? http://dsarena.free.fr/mugenlight/stages.php?refGame=2 Has a bunch of SFs and some others as well...
    ·
    This is so awesome, wanted to make my own SF2 palettes for 20 years. btw, doesnt seem to be working today flux?
    ·
    This is so awesome, wanted to make my own SF2 palettes for 20 years. btw, doesnt seem to be working today flux?

Different URL :D Use the link in the post above. _b
    ·
    edited February 2013
    Post edited by jedpossum on
    ·
    edited February 2013

@Crayfish wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback
    Main problem for Sagat not fitting is I made the shading too dramatic on the skin It has been fixed.
    jfEahpn.png
    W1uRdVw.png

Your's seem plain to me but work perfectly in sf2.
    ·