Best in Japan

HappinessHappiness Joined: Posts: 69
edited February 2013 in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3
For those of you interested and don't follow the scene closely, I'll give you a quick overview of who the current best in Japan are.

S+
Rei Chan

S
Kusoru, Nemo.

Confirmed going to Final Round 16:
Abegen
VxDante

Rumors
Rei Chan's lack of interest to go to USA and playing in a tournament has gone from 0% to "he may consider it" according to numerous Nico sources.
Though it has been said that Kusoru isn't going to Final Round by players that know him, there are whispers claiming people at FR are making an effort to get him there.
As Nemo's cockiness grows, so does his aspiration to play in USA.  It was previously rumored that he's trying to get to Final Round. However that seems unlikely.
The UMVC3/SF international representation for Japan and USA @ WGC may not be as appealing as advertised.  RF and Fuudo participation still is questionable as well as USA players like Dieminion.

SF4 Players.
Recently a lot of top SF4 players have picked up UMVC3.  I suspect these will be the bulk of Japanese to represent Japan in UMVC3 for EVO.  Here's some to keep your eye on---

Eita:          Top but inconsistent Akuma.  Plays a number of different teams in UMVC3.
Kazunoko:  #1 BP Yun in Japan. Currently plays Wolvie/Akuma/Vergil.
Banbaban:  Top Yun and Cammy player in Japan.  Currently plays Wolvie/Doom/Vergil.
Acqua:       #1 BP Cammy in Japan. Currently plays Nova/Strange/Spencer
Nemo:        #1 BP Yang in Japan. Has been seen entering 5v5 AE tournaments. Top 3 UMVC3 player in Japan.
Tokido:       Top Akuma and potential top 5 UMVC3 player in Japan.
RF:            Top Sagat. Plays Taskmaster/Doom/Vergil.

There are other SF4 players playing the game such as Mago, Fuudo and recently Bonchan.   Most of these SF4 players haven't been playing long but are rapidly improving and may pose the biggest threat come EVO outside of the top 3 if their current growth continues.

Post edited by Happiness on

Comments

• The DukeThe Duke Joined: Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Nemo is the Yipes of Japan now (everyone saying he's the best before he even wins much)? Meh Darth Lord Chou is still king fuck that noise. And Kusoru with that "doesn't take the game seriously" OS he's put more time into Marvel than probably anyone
    Didn't Rei-chan say he couldn't make it more because events wouldn't let him use pad?
  • DreizeDreize How quaint... Joined: Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
  • HappinessHappiness Joined: Posts: 69
    So Nemo is the Yipes of Japan now (everyone saying he's the best before he even wins much)? Meh Darth Lord Chou is still king fuck that noise. And Kusoru with that "doesn't take the game seriously" OS he's put more time into Marvel than probably anyone
    Didn't Rei-chan say he couldn't make it more because events wouldn't let him use pad?

Well the difference I would say is Yipes has been going to tournaments where Nemo hasn't really entered tournaments since being declared the best. For example he didn't enter the last FRB that happened but he cleaned up after the tournament was over. The tournaments he did enter and didn't win were ones where he wasn't considered the best.
    Kusoru doesn't take the game seriously in the sense he just has fun with it. If you see him on stream he would tell you himself he just likes to have fun and when he plays you can see he does. Though him being the guy that is thought of putting the most hours in training, I can see why most would say the statement isn't true. But you can ask him yourself about it. He isn't hard to reach. Even if you don't know Japanese you can get on stream and ask him and he'll answer you.
    I think the pad/joystick is slowly being tolerated more. VxDante is an up-and-comer whom usually plays a lot of online tournaments and started coming out to FRB and with more and more people being pad players in Japan, those problems should start to becoming less of an issue.

If Nemo ends up going to NA and he's still currently considered the best as he is now, though most may point to Chris G or F.Champ, I would think Flocker would be his biggest problem. If you look at the videos he seems to have a slight annoyance of Zero. And though one might say they aren't the level of ChrisG, he seems to handle the best Morrigan players in Japan fine. Results wise Flocker seems to be the best Zero in NA. Frieda is considered best Zero in Japan.

Also I should add that though Chou is considered a very strong and top player, a lot of people like Nemo, Kusoru, RC and Frieda's chances better than his in NA due to the team. Zhi for example thinks Nemo is the most beast player in Japan and has the best chance to win in NA while some like Kusoru's chances simply due to the team.
    Why would anyone like Nemo's chances over Chou due to team? Nemo's team sucks it's just Nova/Spencer with anchor Strange.
    Why would anyone like Nemo's chances over Chou due to team? Nemo's team sucks it's just Nova/Spencer with anchor Strange.

The team reference was for Kusoru. They just like Nemo's chances because he seems to be taking care of anyone that plays him. Japan also views Strange a lot stronger than North America does. Maybe due to their best player using Strange.

Also as an advance warning Ramasama is in Japan and they want to set up matches with him. Though you may not view him as a top player, he did win the SBO quals that was held at Arcade UFO with players like Fanatiq, Mihe and Jan in attendance. If lucky we'll get to see Kusoru and Nemo play him in Ft10 set (and also maybe we'll get to see Nemo vs. Kusoru in a long set).

Kusoru is currently undefeated in reported FT10 matches against NA players beating Wong, Jan and Mihe. Let's see if Ramasama can end that streak and defeat him like he did at FR during the team tournament.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nova Spencer works. Two HAM ass point characters that take advantage of the game's air throw system and get big ass damage off it. Combofiend seems to really like the synergy with some point characters and Dr.Strange's assists so there could be something there.
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • DreizeDreize How quaint... Joined: Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    If Nemo ends up going to NA and he's still currently considered the best as he is now, though most may point to Chris G or F.Champ, I would think Flocker would be his biggest problem. If you look at the videos he seems to have a slight annoyance of Zero.

I'll tell you why he doesn't like facing Zero. It's because Zero's short as fuck and can quite literally walk under bolts (something that most top tier characters cant do). Since it's his main neutral assist, it's obviously going to be a painful match-up. That and, well, it's Zero.
    Combofiend seems to really like the synergy with some point characters and Dr.Strange's assists so there could be something there.

I'll tell you what's there. Bolts+characters with command grabs=godlike. Combofiend knows this, due to the spacing in-between the bolts. Plus, since She-hulk can crumple he gains raw tag set-ups with Strange.

Combo plays it like She-hulk/Spencer/Strange.

Anchor Strange is meh, though. He's a gimmicky sort of anchor who loses heavily to rushdown.
  • RokmodeRokmode preppy asked me to change my title rip meaty mud flap Joined: Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happiness, where is Emil, and what did you do to him?
    THIS WEBSITE SUCKS GIANT HORSE @#$@#$@!@$
    Youtube(random doom TAC help, doom combos, ammy stuff, shuma combos and tech): http://www.youtube.com/user/Clickclakmoo?feature=mhee Danke on shuma gorath: "He who sleeps but shouldn't have costed me 5 dollars."
    Happiness is the good part of Emil that was expelled kind of like Rose is to M. Bison
  • ChouJPChouJP Joined: Posts: 413
    iEsg8EvngYdHj.gif
    What is this incomprehensible nonsense. It is clear that i am the best Marvel player in Japan, Nemo nothing more but merely a half-breed. After getting his buttox vanished in Arcade Edition he set his sights for my kingdom, but needless to say he's yet to ever lay a finger on me.

Kusoru isn't even worth mentioning. I am the best Marvel player in Japan.
    Based Japanese Marvel God
    Said to have defeated Godzilla by only removing his shades.

Anchor Strange is meh, though. He's a gimmicky sort of anchor who loses heavily to rushdown.

He uses Spencer as anchor. He uses Strange anchor when he plays SheHulk/Spencer/Strange but Nova/Strange/Spencer is his primary team.
  • EmilEmil Joined: Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭
    Nemo used to play the game a lot in vanilla and was considered the best in Japan back then...not totally surprising that he might be considered the best now, especially with his recent performances (like Nemo vs. Frieda).
    KoF97 - Chizuru/Yamazaki/Choi | KoF98 - Chizuru/Iori/Kyo/O.Chris | KoF2k2 - Kim/Whip/Athena/Choi |
    Kof13 - Duolon/Kim/Shen Woo | UMVC3 - Morrigan/Doom/Magneto | P4U - Shadow Labrys | SFxT - Lili/Xiaoyu |
    GGXXAC - DIZZY
  • HaikuWarHaikuWar The Best Looking Player EVER Joined: Posts: 2,094
    Claims to not take the game seriously... traveled all the way to America for FR XIII and wins... gosh I hate new scene logic...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Claims to not take the game seriously... traveled all the way to America for FR XIII and wins... gosh I hate new scene logic...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

His actions seem to back those claims. He doesn't money match. He laughs while he usually plays. His game play also resembles this. Winning FRB and traveling to FR15 is the definition of fun. You may or may not know this but in Japan, even more so before FR there were very little Marvel tournaments. The majority of them were online and FRB was one of the very few. How many people travel to EVO or other tournaments primarily for the fun of it? And to have the opportunity to do that in a different country where the game is actually bigger is one that's hard to pass by! Anyway I'm not here to judge him. That's what he says and I'm not in his shoes to say whether it's true or not. Just because he happens to be good doesn't mean he has to follow the trend of making this about being the best. Maybe he enjoys beating people that make this game their lives while he just sees the game as a hobby to have fun with. Actually he proved that you don't have to take a game as serious as most other top players do and still win. Or maybe he just proved that Marvel really is that much of a kuso game.

By the way the people that regularly speak to him and about him have said the same thing.
  • ironboy89ironboy89 Beep Boop Beep Joined: Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭
    And Kusoru with that "doesn't take the game seriously" OS he's put more time into Marvel than probably anyone
    It remembers me of the whole Jwong sbo scenario.

Jwong as far as we know in Japan 2012 didn't even try to train in UMVC3 all that much. All he cared about is doing well in SF4, and that was his main objective in SBO. He doesn't qualify for SBO in SF4, but he wins UMVC3 SBO in a game he barely cares about it.
    *Shakes my head*

You can tell BTW that Jwong likes SF4, SFXT over Marvel.
  • FullMetalRossFullMetalRoss That Hurt! Liar... Joined: Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭
    Has anything ever come up with Condor Missile? That guy has cool setups and nasty combos. Is he still top ranked online? (obv online doesn't matter but from the few matches Ive seen he seems like a good player)
    <<>>
    They posted some sets on eventhubs and there might be some random PSN recorded footage on that same channel with him. He's a ghost never seen in person.
  • NonSexualRiceNonSexualRice Hey Fatty Boom Boom, Hit Me with the Ching Ching Joined: Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His actions seem to back those claims. He doesn't money match. He laughs while he usually plays. His game play also resembles this. Winning FRB and traveling to FR15 is the definition of fun. You may or may not know this but in Japan, even more so before FR there were very little Marvel tournaments. The majority of them were online and FRB was one of the very few. How many people travel to EVO or other tournaments primarily for the fun of it? And to have the opportunity to do that in a different country where the game is actually bigger is one that's hard to pass by! Anyway I'm not here to judge him. That's what he says and I'm not in his shoes to say whether it's true or not. Just because he happens to be good doesn't mean he has to follow the trend of making this about being the best. Maybe he enjoys beating people that make this game their lives while he just sees the game as a hobby to have fun with. Actually he proved that you don't have to take a game as serious as most other top players do and still win. Or maybe he just proved that Marvel really is that much of a kuso game.

By the way the people that regularly speak to him and about him have said the same thing.

Kusoru's one of my favorite players because he makes marvel FUN. Everything about the dude just gives off fun.
    BB: valkenhayn/Carl
    SG: Fortune/Eliza (hype train)/Valentine
  • scytheavatarscytheavatar Joined: Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭
    Wait, so WTF happened to Nemo and AE? Did the Yang nerfs really caused him to stop playing the game?
    He played it for almost 5 years? Maybe he wanted something else?
  • ThatJollyOlBastidThatJollyOlBastid Non-stop Climax! Joined: Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He won an AE 5v5 like two-three weeks ago. But its obvious he barely plays anymore
    "Seth is like McDonald's. You can learn to make the same burger in 2 days as the person who's worked there for 5 years" ~ Dogura
  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nemo is a good player with very good execution. i think he should be picking a better team but his current one is like, it'll work. but for how long?
    twitch stream w/ roommate mostly anime fgs
    youtube w/ videos mostly marvel
    He thinks his team is good. He posted his opinion on tiers and team construct sometime ago that Fubarduck translated.
  • YawDanYawDan Joined: Posts: 539 ✭✭
    I thought Liquid Metal was the best Japanese UMVC3 player. Lol, a title like that can't really be given, but he is/was definitely my favourite Japanese player. Magneto/Doom/Phoenix before Champ and Tokido, attraction into hidden missiles being his technology...

Anyway I'm enjoying this thread :) I like Japanese UMVC3 as the players seem to use a wider variety of characters so would be a good break from what I currently see at the moment.
    "This was not srk. It should not be lower than gfaqs in terms of fighting game talk, but it is. That's all because of the outbreak of girly men, which is really the fault of atheism." Cisco, UMVC3 tierlist discussion, pg 333.
    Don't know how you figured that. Liquid Metal got his shit slapped at KVO/GodsGarden haven't seen much footage or placings from him since.
  • YawDanYawDan Joined: Posts: 539 ✭✭
    He performed a Magneto infinite shortly after the Trish inifinite was discovered and the rest is history... but yeah I was thinking back to Kubodsgarden really, and sorry haha I guess the unseriousness of my comment was only implied in my own head lol. He didn't even win Kubodsgarden but I just loved his play, I use both Mag and Doom now and his footage is some that I loved watching a while back
    "This was not srk. It should not be lower than gfaqs in terms of fighting game talk, but it is. That's all because of the outbreak of girly men, which is really the fault of atheism." Cisco, UMVC3 tierlist discussion, pg 333.
    I'm hearing Infiltration has picked up Marvel and the Cafe ID guys are already streaming marvel in their channel.

Back to the Japanese scene, the top guys from before seemed to have trailed off. Around EVO time Condor Missile came back and for a period of time he was considered top 5 but now that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. At that time the list was 1/2 Reichan/Chou, 3 Kusoru, 4Condor missile with the last spot up for grabs by a handful of players(frieda was one of the handful). I also was really trying to find new Yuki videos but it seems that he doesn't really play anymore from what I gather. I also asked other players in they haven't really heard of Yuki lately.

Kazunoko's interest still seems to have stuck since EVO as he's been playing Marvel on Topanga. Fuudo was also shown playing. Of course they're not taking it as seriously as SF4 or maybe even perhaps SCV but it would be nice to see them at Canada Cup. Also want to see Momochi as he has improved a little bit from his CEO Top 16 performance where a team of 2 punching bags and an anchor Vergil took him there (he also made it through SBO on site quals).

Unfortunately right now it seems Canada Cup will be the only glimmer of Japanese talent we'll get to see in NA for the rest of the year with Tokido being there. Sorta doubting we'll see any players at Youmacon or NEC.
    Fuudo has played since at least World Gaming Cup if not even earlier (though I think it was more because Tokido needed 2 more people for the 3v3 tournament)
    Fuudo has played since at least World Gaming Cup if not even earlier (though I think it was more because Tokido needed 2 more people for the 3v3 tournament)

He's changed his team a little since then. Fuudo now plays more of a "Chris G" style using Morrigan/Zero/Doom(missiles). Kazunoko plays more of a "Yipes" style with Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye. Though obviously it's not their main game and not as good as the other SF players, the SF4 players may be the ones to look at for the future top players of the scene (verses the new players coming in).

At the moment, results certainly show the Japanese UMVC3 scene as being the clear #2 UMVC3 scene in the world[1]. Unfortunately countries like Japan and Brasil can't easily compete in USA like Canada or maybe even Mexico can. If the IPL rumors of Capcom games being there end up being true, maybe they'll consider holding regional qualifiers around the world like they sorta do for SC2 and bring the best over from each scene.

Of course I doubt it but it's a possibility!

[1] Looking at wins in USA. Japan has been the only international scene to win majors in USA (correct me if this is wrong)
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 24,810 mod
    At the moment, results certainly show the Japanese UMVC3 scene as being the clear #2 UMVC3 scene in the world[1]. Unfortunately countries like Japan and Brasil can't easily compete in USA like Canada or maybe even Mexico can. If the IPL rumors of Capcom games being there end up being true, maybe they'll consider holding regional qualifiers around the world like they sorta do for SC2 and bring the best over from each scene.

Of course I doubt it but it's a possibility!

[1] Looking at wins in USA. Japan has been the only international scene to win majors in USA (correct me if this is wrong)
    Ryan says that he'd bet on the Philippines if we ever faced Japan and I believe the other FGTV guys (CJ, Neo, Hiro) agree. The only problem right now is that our best players can't afford to fly to the US... yet.*

Off course, some are going to say that Ryan is biased being Filipino and all, but there is precedent for this seeing as how Philippine players used to be able to go head to head with US players in MvC2.

*Stuff is being worked out to get some of them to EVO. But before that Ryan and a few other players (hopefully Mike Ross and Combofiend) might be coming back next year.
    Ryan says that he'd bet on the Philippines if we ever faced Japan and I believe the other FGTV guys (CJ, Neo, Hiro) agree. The only problem right now is that our best players can't afford to fly to the US... yet.*

Off course, some are going to say that Ryan is biased being Filipino and all, but there is precedent for this seeing as how Philippine players used to be able to go head to head with US players in MvC2.

*Stuff is being worked out to get some of them to EVO. But before that Ryan and a few other players (hopefully Mike Ross and Combofiend) might be coming back next year.

F. Champ doesn't seem to be very informed about the UMVC3 scene in Japan. During Shadowloo Showdown he called Tokido Japan's very best Marvel player when at the time Tokido was fighting for top 10. I wouldn't be surprised if F.Champ figured that the group of players that went to FGTV were Japan's best when at the time only Chou was top 5 and Abegen was top 10.

Another thing to point that his good friend Combofiend said during Treta that Brasil is much better than Japan and essentially put Japan "on blast" and then Combofiend proceeded to get eliminated getting tied for 7th and Tokido beat both the guy that sent Combo to losers and the one that eliminated him with scores of 3-0, 3-1, 3-1 and ended up winning the tournament.

If you were to ask Champ which Japanese player is the best right now I doubt he would say Nemo. Out of the 6 mentioned I'd be surprised if he stated more than 3. Thing is most USA top players don't follow other scenes. Japan on the other hand follow USA very much. As do Brasil and others.

When Treta happened, F.Champ was quite surprised that Combofiend got knocked out and Tokido won (as seen on his twitter). Others knew the talent Brasil had and Tokido had.

I've seen many UMVC3 scenes around the world. A lot and this is just watching 20minute videos during off times twice a week. There are video websites for regions/countries/languages that are their version of youtube which these videos are posted on (i.e. nico video for Japan, the chinese youtube, etc). I know the Philippine umvc3 scene (thanks to that popular Manny Pacquiao site).

I'm pretty convinced Japan at the moment is #2 but one can't know for sure until the best of every scene actually are able to play against one another. Something that is not very possible due to travel distance. This is why I'm left on basing it off of results. More so than the opinion of F.Champ whom seems to lack in-depth knowledge of scenes outside of USA/Canada. Now if F.Champ went to Japan after the Philippines and played their best in good sets then were to say what he said, it would have a lot more significance.
  • KayoFrameTraPoliceKayoFrameTraPolice 佐藤 かよ Joined: Posts: 210
    F. Champ doesn't seem to be very informed about the UMVC3 scene in Japan. During Shadowloo Showdown he called Tokido Japan's very best Marvel player when at the time Tokido was fighting for top 10. I wouldn't be surprised if F.Champ figured that the group of players that went to FGTV were Japan's best when at the time only Chou was top 5 and Abegen was top 10.

Another thing to point that his good friend Combofiend said during Treta that Brasil is much better than Japan and essentially put Japan "on blast" and then Combofiend proceeded to get eliminated getting tied for 7th and Tokido beat both the guy that sent Combo to losers and the one that eliminated him with scores of 3-0, 3-1, 3-1 and ended up winning the tournament.

If you were to ask Champ which Japanese player is the best right now I doubt he would say Nemo. Out of the 6 mentioned I'd be surprised if he stated more than 3. Thing is most USA top players don't follow other scenes. Japan on the other hand follow USA very much. As do Brasil and others.

When Treta happened, F.Champ was quite surprised that Combofiend got knocked out and Tokido won (as seen on his twitter). Others knew the talent Brasil had and Tokido had.

I've seen many UMVC3 scenes around the world. A lot and this is just watching 20minute videos during off times twice a week. There are video websites for regions/countries/languages that are their version of youtube which these videos are posted on (i.e. nico video for Japan, the chinese youtube, etc). I know the Philippine umvc3 scene (thanks to that popular Manny Pacquiao site).

I'm pretty convinced Japan at the moment is #2 but one can't know for sure until the best of every scene actually are able to play against one another. Something that is not very possible due to travel distance. This is why I'm left on basing it off of results. More so than the opinion of F.Champ whom seems to lack in-depth knowledge of scenes outside of USA/Canada. Now if F.Champ went to Japan after the Philippines and played their best in good sets then were to say what he said, it would have a lot more significance.
    if fchamp went to japan he would body everyone just like justin did when he went to sbo.that being said, nemo is pretty godlike.
    if fchamp went to japan he would body everyone just like justin did when he went to sbo.that being said, nemo is pretty godlike.

That could very well be the case but fact is the only one Justin beat of the the perceived top 5 was Chou and it was 2-1. Both Kusoru and Frieda lost to Kubo during SBO and Kubo would tell you himself he's not better than either of those two. Same would be said if Wong were to have lost to Jeo (though Jeo isn't too shabby).

Also note that Mihe and Jan did stay longer and were able to play Kusoru FT10 and Kusoru beat them both.

So you saying he would body everyone is just a belief. In fact, evidence shows that Kusoru would body FCHamp as they have already faced and Kusoru won 2-0. And using your own logic, if Kusoru went to USA he would body everyone there just like he ALREADY did in Final Round. FChamp, Combofiend, Flocker, Yipes, Wong, PR Balrog...

But obviously things don't work that way.
  • scytheavatarscytheavatar Joined: Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭

Japan is probably #4, behind Mexico (probably #2) and Canada (probably #3). The Mexican players are the anti-Japanese, they don't have that many fanciful tech in them but their fundamentals are rock solid and far beyond the Japaneses. IMHO overall the Mexicans aren't much better than the Japanese but the Japanese players will get randomed out in tourneys a lot more easier and I have little doubt that next time there's a major with both top Mexican and Japanese players the Mexicans will finish higher. Canada's standard isn't terrific but the best Canada players are easily better than the best Japanese players..... Bee is more or less a better, less momentum reliant version of Kusoru.
    Japan is probably #4, behind Mexico (probably #2) and Canada (probably #3). The Mexican players are the anti-Japanese, they don't have that many fanciful tech in them but their fundamentals are rock solid and far beyond the Japaneses. IMHO overall the Mexicans aren't much better than the Japanese but the Japanese players will get randomed out in tourneys a lot more easier and I have little doubt that next time there's a major with both top Mexican and Japanese players the Mexicans will finish higher. Canada's standard isn't terrific but the best Canada players are easily better than the best Japanese players..... Bee is more or less a better, less momentum reliant version of Kusoru.

Darn this thread is sorta making me out to be some sort of Japanese UMVC3 apologist when that's not the case. See once again this more or less relies on opinion and the #2 I based it off of results. Canada constantly has players go to the USA in majors and they have always failed to take any of them. Actually only goes off of memory I don't remember a Canadian even making Grand Finals at a USA tournament. Whereas Japan has taken tournaments.

And the only Japanese that went to a Canadian tournament got top 3 behind 2 USA players. Just trying to base this off results and not opinions I think you would have to give it to Japan hands down.

The Canadian Marvel scene is the one where their best players have played against USA best players the most and they've done the worst compared to Japan and Mexico. I'd like to throw in some other scenes like Brasil, UK, France, etc but most of that would also be based of opinions as well. Canada, Japan and to a lesser extent Mexico we actually have results of multiple players. All of Canada's top 5 players haven't shown results in their multiple chances. Japan, currently 3 of the top 5 went and their results were 2 Major wins and a 9th place EVO. Mexico went twice and had top 8 EVO, 9th EVO and top 8 Season's Beatings.

I might say Brasil is better than Canada or Bl4ckwhite and Ichi would demolish Canada but that would just be an opinion I think.

Speaking merely on results---

1. USA
    2. Japan
    3. Mexico

And I actually think some of the other scenes top players can beat Mexico's top players but that would be my perception and basing it off of results, things that actually already happened instead of conjecture, I would have to give it to Mexico.
  • fenrir04fenrir04 Joined: Posts: 150
    Where do the European players stand?
    Everything is viable but not everything is optimal.
    Where do the European players stand?

Don't you think that's still inconclusive? I don't think we have a big enough sample size to really see as they haven't been to enough NA tournaments. Most NA will immediately say Zak Bennett is best European player but within Europe you have other names that pop up like Whitebl4ck that seem to be more successful within Europe.

And for me that's where you would have to look as European UMVC3 players really compete with themselves. People like Bennett and W.B. went to EVO and didn't make top 12 but that was just one tournament. Within Europe, just as in SF4 UK and France are the top dogs in the perception of the majority. At this point I would have to say France is the strongest due to recent results (i.e. Bushido Impact). Bennett wasn't there but note that Bennett stated (according to SBA) that the reason he didn't accept the SBA invite is because he was busy with school and had recently been out of practice in UMVC3.

Within Europe, Whitebl4ck seems to be the "safe" pick as the strongest UMVC3 player. Of course there are others in contention but going off of memory I think he's had the biggest wins within internationally attended competitions in Europe with WGC and Bushido.

It's also very likely we won't see any European players in a USA tournament until next EVO.
    Mexico is surprisingly strong in marvel but they aren't on Japan's level.

Also defending the Japanese on this site is a no-no...they will call you a Japanese dickrider for defending them, even though they are the ones that start the whole problem by always trying to downplay Japan if they are given any credit whatsoever.

Also many americans, including the top players, are incredibly ignorant about the international scene...and even moreso, the american commentators (UltraDavid, James Chen, etc). It's really annoying to hear people not even know who Chou is until after he came to Evo.
    KoF97 - Chizuru/Yamazaki/Choi | KoF98 - Chizuru/Iori/Kyo/O.Chris | KoF2k2 - Kim/Whip/Athena/Choi |
    Kof13 - Duolon/Kim/Shen Woo | UMVC3 - Morrigan/Doom/Magneto | P4U - Shadow Labrys | SFxT - Lili/Xiaoyu |
    GGXXAC - DIZZY
  • ironboy89ironboy89 Beep Boop Beep Joined: Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭
    Mexico was always good at Marvel/ and also MK, people always fucking forget that South America/Mexico/etc were grinding Marvel 2 as much as USA were. It's just that nobody cares to actually watch their scene to realize that.

Japan gets more attention and respect than most countries do in SRK. So even if people here don't think that Japan is the best, they won't talk shit about their scene. You will never see somebody like Kusoru/Chou/Japan playter win a major, and then have some random poster discount because it was foriegn unlike Europe/Australia/Canada/etc.
    He's here! Joy now the two halves can fuse into one.
  • UltraDavidUltraDavid commenta..ttorney?? Joined: Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭
    Also many americans, including the top players, are incredibly ignorant about the international scene...and even moreso, the american commentators (UltraDavid, James Chen, etc). It's really annoying to hear people not even know who Chou is until after he came to Evo.
    Wtf is this? I was just stream monstering gostunv this morning. I've been watching Japanese Marvel 3 since Vanilla.
    Your legal insider in entertainment and video games!
    www.dpgatlaw.com
    www.twitter.com/UltraDavid
    www.facebook.com/UltraDavidFB
    Pay no attention to Emil. I'm still :rofl: off when he listed the best players for each character being whatever Japanese player played them at the time.
  • trick82trick82 Row! Row! Fight da Powah! Joined: Posts: 840
    Wtf is this? I was just stream monstering gostunv this morning. I've been watching Japanese Marvel 3 since Vanilla.

ruh roh
    Well in that case, I love BBC.
  • ELSALVADORPOWER9001ELSALVADORPOWER9001 GRACIS DIOS BASADO Joined: Posts: 217
    iEsg8EvngYdHj.gif
    What is this incomprehensible nonsense. It is clear that i am the best Marvel player in Japan, Nemo nothing more but merely a half-breed. After getting his buttox vanished in Arcade Edition he set his sights for my kingdom, but needless to say he's yet to ever lay a finger on me.

Kusoru isn't even worth mentioning. I am the best Marvel player in Japan.

HAHAHA EXCELLENT POST I dont care much for japanese marvel players but this is excellent. More popoff! more!
    BEST VENOM ON PSN

Yeah probably because you heard Ranmasama was there.

In any case, this isn't even just about marvel...Especially for commentators that seem to have abandoned playing fighting games so they can be full-time commentators, you'd expect them to do some research and be educated on the scene, to know who the best players are and atleast know something about the top international players coming to your own tournaments. I feel like both of you, and a number of other commentators don't know anything about the international scene unless those players happened to have come over to the US or Canada at some point. If they didn't, it's as if they never existed.

Can't come up with specific quotes but things like James Chen being oblivious to the fact that Kindevu was a grandmaster Viper player and Momochi being an Akuma player or people being clueless on who Xiaohai and Dakou, makes me facepalm. It's not about Japan, it applies to China and pretty much any other country that puts themselves out there but people are still clueless about.

Edit: oh yeah, remember how James Chen said Mago will be the best marvel 3 player in Japan when he returns from the US, I loled at that so hard. Absolute ignorance of the entire scene. James Chen was serious when he said it too.

Pay no attention to Emil. I'm still :rofl: off when he listed the best players for each character being whatever Japanese player played them at the time.

Because for many/most characters, it's simply the case. There's no Captain America better than Condor Missile...no Strange better than Nemo, no Tron, Thor, She-Hulk better than ABEGEN, no Vergil better than Chou (no, not even Yipes), no Strider better than Chou/Junya, no Spiderman better than Mamespider, VJoe, Raccoon, West better than Kusoru (Noel's is pretty good but it isn't as innovative or reactive as Kusoru's), and I'll even go as far as say no Wesker better than Chou(despite there being tons of Wesker players), etc etc.

Anyway I haven't even been paying recent attention to marvel but this VxDante guy is starting to make a big name for himself...
    GGXXAC - DIZZY

In any case, this isn't even just about marvel...Especially for commentators that seem to have abandoned playing fighting games so they can be full-time commentators, you'd expect them to do some research and be educated on the scene, to know who the best players are and atleast know something about the top international players coming to your own tournaments. I feel like both of you, and a number of other commentators don't know anything about the international scene unless those players happened to have come over to the US or Canada at some point. If they didn't, it's as if they never existed.

Can't come up with specific quotes but things like James Chen being oblivious to the fact that Kindevu was a grandmaster Viper player and Momochi being an Akuma player or people being clueless on who Xiaohai and Dakou, makes me facepalm. It's not about Japan, it applies to China and pretty much any other country that puts themselves out there but people are still clueless about.

Edit: oh yeah, remember how James Chen said Mago will be the best marvel 3 player in Japan when he returns from the US, I loled at that so hard. Absolute ignorance of the entire scene. James Chen was serious when he said it too.

Because for many/most characters, it's simply the case. There's no Captain America better than Condor Missile...no Strange better than Nemo, no Tron, Thor, She-Hulk better than ABEGEN, no Vergil better than Chou (no, not even Yipes), no Strider better than Chou/Junya, no Spiderman better than Mamespider, VJoe, Raccoon, West better than Kusoru (Noel's is pretty good but it isn't as innovative or reactive as Kusoru's), and I'll even go as far as say no Wesker better than Chou(despite there being tons of Wesker players), etc etc.

Anyway I haven't even been paying recent attention to marvel but this VxDante guy is starting to make a big name for himself...

qekZOl.jpg

This nigga Emil. Also the 'international' scene is more than Japan but amazingly I only hear complaints of ignorance of Japanese play :rolleyes:

Your obvious fanboyism grosses me out, but more gross are accusations about me that are clearly wrong. Yeah I watched today because Ranmasama was there. But I've watched many times live and checked the YT vids other people upload later.

I have a constricted nerve in my neck that significantly limits my precision in fine movements like gaming and typing, and nothing I've tried, from physical therapy to shots of steroids directly into my spine, from massage to acupuncture, has done anything about it. Even surgery isn't likely to succeed so I don't want to take the significant risks and spend lots of money on a likely failure. I wish every day that I could play fighting games at a competitive level like I used to but I can't. I still play casually because I still have fun if I don't take it seriously but I don't play in tournaments because training for a matchup and then not having my hands execute what I'd planned out is too frustrating. If you can't be sympathetic about that, then eat a dick. The two games I've been playing the most lately have been Marvel 3 and Tekken Tag 2. My Vanilla team was Shehulk/Spencer/Doom. I hated the game for a while in large part because its faster play and greater number of button presses make it harder for me to execute in, but I've gone back to playing. I built a Hulk/Modok/Arthur team for a while, then I went to Shuma, and my team now is Thor/Hulk/Haggar in various orders depending on matchups. Nobody in fighting games is a full time commentator, everyone has a job. James and I both have big boy jobs that take up the vast majority of our time. I identified and even told stories about all of however many foreign SF4 players were at Canada Cup last time, including those that had never been to the US (except a couple of the Koreans, who I just went off our notes from Laugh about). I identified Japanese Marvel players as a potential threat at FR and even said on UltraChenTV that their vids had been on the internet for months and people should look them up. I knew about Zak, I knew about KaneBlueRiver, I knew about Xiaohai, I knew about Dakou. I don't believe for a second that any scene in the world has stronger Marvel players than North America, and I like 3 regions in North America (SoCal, NorCal, NY/NJ) over an all star team comprised of every other country. I'd probably even like a few other areas too. But that doesn't mean that I don't pay attention to other scenes. When media and reports are available, I eat them up.

In conclusion, blah
    www.dpgatlaw.com
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    If you can't be sympathetic about that, then eat a dick.
    Would you say Emil..... hit a nerve?

ha ha ha lets go get a burger
    Would you say Emil..... hit a nerve?

ha ha ha lets go get a burger
    lol i like it
    www.dpgatlaw.com
  • BiGGDaddyCaneBiGGDaddyCane ☵☳☷☵☴☵☳☲☷☵ Joined: Posts: 913
    135082626489482.gif

lol Just a joke Emil :D. Dont take it to the heart lol.
    " Watching Early 1900's Classics "
    KOF 98 Slugfest Dream Match Never Ends