stand/crouch teching and guessing vs cammy

maikeru671maikeru671 Joined: Posts: 69
can anyone tell me what the differences are between stand/crouch teching in pressure/frame trap situations versus cammy? or does it make any difference at all? I play ken btw.

Comments

• eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭
    You have more frames to tech a throw when you do it standing as opposed to crouching, but crouch techs make sure that you block her attacks, or do a cr.short to push her away if she doesn't do anything.

Both options lose pretty bad to EX air cannon spike.

Due to Cammy's poor throw range, it's usually not even worth going for OS crouch-techs in comparison to how much damage you'll eat if she lands that attack, unless she has no meter.
  • maikeru671maikeru671 Joined: Posts: 69
    You have more frames to tech a throw when you do it standing as opposed to crouching, but crouch techs make sure that you block her attacks, or do a cr.short to push her away if she doesn't do anything.

Both options lose pretty bad to EX air cannon spike.

Due to Cammy's poor throw range, it's usually not even worth going for OS crouch-techs in comparison to how much damage you'll eat if she lands that attack, unless she has no meter.

Ahh I see. Thats pretty interesting, I always heard people throwing stand teching and crouch teching around but only knew what crouch teching meant or did. I also never thought about using cr.lk to push someone away, when cammy is attacking me I just try to block and most of the time I get blown up. Usually if she just stands there I try to go for a throw or backdash but I will keep the pushing her away with cr.lk thing in mind. So if people stand tech does it make them more prone to getting frame trapped? I was thinking since they know they have extra frames while standing that they might not even get worried about ken's kara throw game until I start throwing frame traps in. I often find success off of ken's kara throw by doing a quick cr.lk,cr.lp taking a quick step back and throwing their whiffed normal.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh I see. Thats pretty interesting, I always heard people throwing stand teching and crouch teching around but only knew what crouch teching meant or did. I also never thought about using cr.lk to push someone away, when cammy is attacking me I just try to block and most of the time I get blown up. Usually if she just stands there I try to go for a throw or backdash but I will keep the pushing her away with cr.lk thing in mind. So if people stand tech does it make them more prone to getting frame trapped? I was thinking since they know they have extra frames while standing that they might not even get worried about ken's kara throw game until I start throwing frame traps in. I often find success off of ken's kara throw by doing a quick cr.lk,cr.lp taking a quick step back and throwing their whiffed normal.

Well that's the big reason why you would crouch tech. If properly timed, you'll either a) block, b) tech the throw, or c) do a cr.lk to push the opponent away. Some characters can even hit confirm off of a series of cr.lks.

Frame traps are pretty much designed to beat crouch techs and stand techs, if properly timed and spaced out. This is why frame traps are so important. It gives you a very strong tool in your offensive game against opponents who love to hit buttons while in block stun.

Kens don't usually go for kara-throws while they're being attacked, since that's primetime to eat large amounts of damage. The only situation that would be useful would be if your strongly suspect that your opponent will stop attacking, in which case, throwing them puts you at an advantage. Other than that specific situation, you're going to be eating damage against an opponent who can keep a fairly tight attack pattern.

Sounds like you're using Ken's kara throw properly. The insane range on his kara-throw certainly helps him mix up his options at point-blank range, since you can literally do them at any range without having to walk a far distance.
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vs Cammy sometimes it's better to just mash backdash instead of trying to guess. You lose position and can get comboed if you mistime it or she gets lucky, but usually you'll either avoid the mixup completely, or you'll get reset out of the air which prevents her from landing a full combo. Obviously this is not something you can abuse, but more often than not it's a better option than guessing between throw into vortex, or frame trap into big damage.
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    Does the Cammy have less than 4k BP? If so just hold block for a few seconds, eventually Canon Drill > Canon Spike is coming.
    Well that's the big reason why you would crouch tech. If properly timed, you'll either a) block, b) tech the throw, or c) do a cr.lk to push the opponent away. Some characters can even hit confirm off of a series of cr.lks.

Frame traps are pretty much designed to beat crouch techs and stand techs, if properly timed and spaced out. This is why frame traps are so important. It gives you a very strong tool in your offensive game against opponents who love to hit buttons while in block stun.

Kens don't usually go for kara-throws while they're being attacked, since that's primetime to eat large amounts of damage. The only situation that would be useful would be if your strongly suspect that your opponent will stop attacking, in which case, throwing them puts you at an advantage. Other than that specific situation, you're going to be eating damage against an opponent who can keep a fairly tight attack pattern.

Sounds like you're using Ken's kara throw properly. The insane range on his kara-throw certainly helps him mix up his options at point-blank range, since you can literally do them at any range without having to walk a far distance.

I have been running into cammy alot more since I posted this and your suggestions have helped. I just try to be more patient and try not to get tricked into getting hit by her ex dive kick or her frame traps. I still have problems blocking her mixups after she sweeps me. She whiffs light kick and then jumps but sometimes I cannot tell if its a cross up (sometimes it is) or if it will hit in front. I guess I just have to play cammy more.
    vs Cammy sometimes it's better to just mash backdash instead of trying to guess. You lose position and can get comboed if you mistime it or she gets lucky, but usually you'll either avoid the mixup completely, or you'll get reset out of the air which prevents her from landing a full combo. Obviously this is not something you can abuse, but more often than not it's a better option than guessing between throw into vortex, or frame trap into big damage.

Ahh I see I see. Yea I try to get the hell out of there sometimes, or I even try to focus out of a dive kick. Lately though I have been finding that being patient with her mixup and not panicking is helping alot.
    Does the Cammy have less than 4k BP? If so just hold block for a few seconds, eventually Canon Drill > Canon Spike is coming.
    haha I can deal with cammy's that have 4k, I still lose sometimes but they get predictable and do unsafe things. But when it comes to cammy's in B+ rank and up,I try my best to not get knocked down and when I do I just try to deal with the mixup. Im also trying to work on making my offense more stronger because I feel it is lacking when I know ken can be scary when he is in front of you. For example, when I play in ken mirrors against good kens, they have some really good pressure and offense and I feel afraid to push buttons.