Dear Mad Catz - Please make some decent pads

JohnickJohnick Joined: Posts: 221
I wish Mad Catz put even half as much effort into their fight pads as they do their sticks, even if they cost more, but it seems the new Mad Catz make the sticks and the old Mad Catz are still making the cheap crappy pads. If you’re lucky, the fight pads can be ok assuming you get a decent one, but it will break in no time and you might even have a bad one out of the box. I had an SF4 guile pad that worked fine for a few months, as soon as it died I bought a SSF4 Juri pad thinking I would be ok, but it wouldn’t register bottom right corners unless I put a metric ton of weight on it. I tried opening it up and swapping the dpad for my old pad but it didn’t work, the problem was with the cheap plastic casing around the dpad not lining up properly, so the pad is essentially useless now.

I’m currently using a PS2 Sega Saturn pad through an ettoki converter I bought from Laughs site, works fantastic but I’ve had this pad since they came out in 2004 and the right trigger which I normally map to 3XK is dead, so I have to press all 3 kick buttons manually which means I sometimes get EX Run instead of Ultra 1 :-(. That first batch of knock off Sega Saturn pads for the PS3 were great to, even the 2nd batch of fake ones that go for 10 bucks on Ebay are better than the fight pads and they cost 3 times less, if there was a 360 equivalent id never have bought a fight pad.

Would it kill Mad Catz to make a pad that’s better than one that’s probably made in a sweat shop in China ?. Give me something like the Sega Saturn pad but with the PS2/PS3 Dual Shocks DPad and slightly bigger face buttons for my bigger western hands, and for the love of god get rid of that switch between analogue and digital at the back, do you know how many time that thing has slid from the neutral position (digital) to the left of right while I’ve been playing ?, and all because I have the stupid thing resting on my knee. I hear the SFXT pads are just as bad, please Mad Catz, sort it out.

Comments

• d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 23,968 mod
    Rubberized D-Pad please Mark.

kthxbye.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

• speedsterharryspeedsterharry Joined: Posts: 714
    And what about the MLG Pro pad ? This is supposedly solving the problem of durability of the d-pad (only1 "promodule" to change when the dpad is dead).
  • JohnickJohnick Joined: Posts: 221
    And what about the MLG Pro pad ? This is supposedly solving the problem of durability of the d-pad (only1 "promodule" to change when the dpad is dead).

The MLG Pro pad doesnt have 6 buttons on the face, a lot of pad players want the same 6 button layout as an arcade stick for SF as you can still do all the techniques the same way as on a stick, such as plinking. I cant play 100% if I need to reach for the triggers, its probably fine for 4 button games but Im already using a PS2 Dual Shock 2 through an Etokki adaptor for 4 button games like Tekken and KOF, Dual Shock 2's are also easy to find and cheap. I wish Sony made a 6 button version of the dual shock 2 :-(
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 "Is it Mewtwo?"™ Joined: Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still stand by my idea for this one really badass controller.

Imagine a 6 button Saturn controller, with 2 analog sticks and four shoulder buttons, yes I know it seems a little excessive because the 2 extra face buttons would do the same thing as 2 of the shoulder buttons but you could use it for every game! And it'd be really good for fighting!

I'd buy 4 of those controllers in a heartbeat.
  • MarkManMarkMan FOR THE COMMUNITY! Joined: Posts: 5,055 mod
    Thanks for the criticism/feedback. I'll discuss this further with our product development and marketing teams.

Also, just FYI. We don't make stuff in sweat shops.
    - MarkMan @ SDTEKKEN.COM

Sorry if I don't reply to your emails or PMs right away. I'm busy :(
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine a 6 button Saturn controller, with 2 analog sticks and four shoulder buttons, yes I know it seems a little excessive because the 2 extra face buttons would do the same thing as 2 of the shoulder buttons but you could use it for every game! And it'd be really good for fighting!

This would make me most man-moist.
    http://handsomefatman.com — Pondering Entertainment
    XBL: Langis Langley — PSN: Langis360 — Steam: Axelhander

"Why do you people waste your time arguing with this idiot?" — Serpent, re: Serpent
  • yomipoweryomipower not a legendary game designer Joined: Posts: 1,165 ✭✭
    Make the Hori FC3, but better.

EDIT: Dual modded out of the box plz.
    Yomi, which is the Japanese word for the underworld. Also a brand of vitamins for children.
  • MarkManMarkMan FOR THE COMMUNITY! Joined: Posts: 5,055 mod

This is not possible.
    - MarkMan @ SDTEKKEN.COM

Sorry if I don't reply to your emails or PMs right away. I'm busy :(
    This would make me most man-moist.

I want it made so bad.

Just to add to this fantasy controller, I'd want the R1 and L1 buttons off a PS3 controller and the LT and RT off a 360 controller.

I'd also want an option between 3 modes:

5th and 6th face buttons deactivated (for shooters and stuff like that)

L1 and R1 deactivated (the shoulder buttons)

All active
  • JigsawJigsaw Joined: Posts: 104
    The (Japanese) Saturn pad is still the godliest pad ever made, any steps made towards imitating that is a step in the right direction in my book. Rubberized d-pad like d3v mentioned, for example, would be great.
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭
    YES.
    The Hori FC3 Pro is a kick-ass controller with some very interesting features already (swappable L-R buttons, 6 face buttons), and could benefit from two analog sticks on the face to make it truly usable for all games.
    Yeah, that's not gonna happen.
    Current stick: custom Modular ABS stick (LS-31-01 + PS-14-GN)
    Cabinet: custom cabinet (32" LCD, X360, JLF + PS-14-KN)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ Hitomi-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Puzzle Fighter, Hyper SF2, Vampire Savior 2, SF Alpha/Zero 3, Vampire Hunter 2
    Naomi GD-ROM: CvS1 Pro, Ikaruga, Puyo Puyo Fever, SF Zero3 Upper, Triggerheart Excelica
  • sikwiditsikwidit Joined: Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just get a saturn pad and connect to project box.
  • Jamin3131Jamin3131 Modding Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 1,184

White Labour?

Also, Just thinking of wielding a 6 button pad w/ Dual analogs sounds rather large. Unless the analogs were on the smaller side, then people would complain bout that.

Optimally, a 6 button pad w/ map-able triggers and interchangeable D-pad (floaty or cross) would make lots of people happy I think.

I just think having a single controller do everything usually results in a controller that doesn't do it all well, just ok. Think of it as a tool, sure you can build a screw driver w/ a hammer, but really, would you want it?
    Find me at A&C Games in Toronto Mondays and Wednesdays

White Labour?

Also, Just thinking of wielding a 6 button pad w/ Dual analogs sounds rather large. Unless the analogs were on the smaller side, then people would complain bout that.

Optimally, a 6 button pad w/ map-able triggers and interchangeable D-pad (floaty or cross) would make lots of people happy I think.

I just think having a single controller do everything usually results in a controller that doesn't do it all well, just ok. Think of it as a tool, sure you can build a screw driver w/ a hammer, but really, would you want it?

What is this talk of not just having a copy of the one from the Saturn?
    Thanks for the criticism/feedback. I'll discuss this further with our product development and marketing teams.

Thanks.
    just FYI. We don't make stuff in sweat shops.

That's not what I meant, but I can see why you picked it up that way seeing as this is the Internet. When I said,

Would it kill Mad Catz to make a pad that’s better than one that’s probably made in a sweat shop in China ?.

I was talking about the Saturn pads. A better way of putting it to avoid confusion would have been

"Surely Mad Catz can make a pad that’s better than one of those cheap bootleg Saturn pads, that are probably made in a sweat shop in China".

I didn't mean to offend you or "shoot the messenger" so to speak, or for that last part to come across that way, sorry. Having said that, saying nothing will get you nowhere, Kepler said it best when he said

"I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single man to the thoughtless approval of the masses."

Agreed, id rather have a dedicated pad then a jack of all trades, master of none.Theres a saying that goes "if you have a gallon of ice cream and a gallon of shit, and you mix them together, you get 2 gallons of shit".

I know some players like Vangief use the analogue stick rather then (or in conjunction with) the Dpad. Maybe 1 analogue stick would be ok, maybe make it flush with the surface of the pad like the analogue stick on the PSP, and maybe add a switch to disable it if your using the Dpad so it wont accidentally register.

There's no need for 2 analogue sticks though, its just adding cost for a feature the vast majority of people aren't going to use.If you want to play another type of game, dig out your stock controller, simple as.
    Just checked ebay and the saturn pads are like $10. That along with the xtekken pads for $20 at gamestop and you have yourself a nice combo for $30 plus maybe 5 for wire and solder.
    Just checked ebay and the saturn pads are like $10. That along with the xtekken pads for $20 at gamestop and you have yourself a nice combo for $30 plus maybe 5 for wire and solder.

I doubt the Mad Catz PCB would fit in the Saturn controllers case or that the buttons would line up with the contacts on the PCB. I also suck with a soldering Iron, but if its possible, id almost pay someone to do it for me.
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,133
    What I think what people would really want is if you built or copied my idea for Franken Fightpads. Honestly I don't really have time to make these for people and have had to turn down a lot of people inquiring about them simply because I am too busy to do them.

I think what people don't like is that the dpad on your fightpads have a high floaty pivot. People like a d pad that almost feels like the pivot is flat or axis is centered close to the surface. Or at least that what it seems like. They just want a decent dpad and some type of big large arcade buttons.
    70296d1f.jpg

Criticisms from someone who's kept an OG fightpad alive for 4 years now.

-plastic feels thin/flimsy.
    -dpad needs to be rubberized.
    -dpad is too big (OG fightgpad).
    -needs wired option (PS3).

-KR|PromilKid

Criticisms from someone who's kept an OG fightpad alive for 4 years now.

-needs wired option (PS3).

The SFXT pads have that now on PS3, but agree with the rest.
    I doubt the Mad Catz PCB would fit in the Saturn controllers case or that the buttons would line up with the contacts on the PCB. I also suck with a soldering Iron, but if its possible, id almost pay someone to do it for me.

You don't need the pcb to go inside the saturn controller.

What you would do is simple.
    Open up the saturn controller.
    If you don't want it to keep saturn functionality the remove the chip. Removing the chip may make the mod even easier

Find the signals but not directly under the button so trace the signal a little bit away from the button.
    Solder wires to the signals.
    Find the gnd, if it is already common gnd then it is easy if it isn't and you removed the chip then you can make it common gnd by bridging certain spots.

You would take the signal wires and gnd wire that you soldered to the pad and wire it to the xtekken pad and you would have a fully functional saturn xbox pad.

What I said is probably a bit confusing but if I had a diagram of the saturn pcb I could probably jus mark where you would need to solder.
    Seriously the mod is not really a hard one and any modder worth anything should be able to do it for you easily.

Also to Dev. Madcatz did a really good job with the xtekken pads in the case of both systems being wired now. This is why they are my go to pads when they are 20 bucks. Easiest pads to padhack for an easy dual mod couple with a dpdt switch.
  • Jamin3131Jamin3131 Modding Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 1,184
    You don't need the pcb to go inside the saturn controller.

snip..

http://srktt.com/saturn
    Find me at A&C Games in Toronto Mondays and Wednesdays

Precisely, that is exactly what I was talking about and should help the OP make a Saturn pad work with the 360 quite easily.
    The only thing I dont like about how they did the mod is how close the solder point is to the button just because I would be afraid of that getting in the way of the padding for the button making the button feel weird when pressed. If the OP is able to do fine point soldering I would solder to the solder points where the chip was originally before cutting it off. Not only would it look cleaner it would be more efficient.
  • KyleKyle PS-14-Gangsta Joined: Posts: 4,695 mod
    The only thing I dont like about how they did the mod is how close the solder point is to the button just because I would be afraid of that getting in the way of the padding for the button making the button feel weird when pressed. If the OP is able to do fine point soldering I would solder to the solder points where the chip was originally before cutting it off. Not only would it look cleaner it would be more efficient.
    If you solder like this you won't be able to feel it - promise. I agree that soldering to the IC is preferable but would be even more intimidating to an amateur. Toodles also has a board that requires no soldering and leaves the Saturn pad intact. The idea is solid though. I'll be using my Saturn pad through Xbox 1080.

saturn09.jpg
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

Replacement Themes for Enhanced Browsing Pleasure
    This is not possible.
    Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Well why not? There are already sticks out in the market that are dual modded, and someone said you can dual mod the FC3, so the only reason would be licensing by Sony and Microsoft I guess, but there are already unlicensed products for the PS3 that work even after their patching, and AFAIK only Microsoft requires that your controller is an officially licensed product, but I say fuck 'em and just make it unlicensed for the PS3 then, bam, best pad ever. But of course it's not gonna happen, so eh.
    What I think what people would really want is if you built or copied my idea for Franken Fightpads. Honestly I don't really have time to make these for people and have had to turn down a lot of people inquiring about them simply because I am too busy to do them.

I think what people don't like is that the dpad on your fightpads have a high floaty pivot. People like a d pad that almost feels like the pivot is flat or axis is centered close to the surface. Or at least that what it seems like. They just want a decent dpad and some type of big large arcade buttons.

This thing always looked fugly to me and I can't even imagine how are you supposed to use this mess.
    Yomi, which is the Japanese word for the underworld. Also a brand of vitamins for children.
    Well why not? There are already sticks out in the market that are dual modded, and someone said you can dual mod the FC3, so the only reason would be licensing by Sony and Microsoft I guess, but there are already unlicensed products for the PS3 that work even after their patching, and AFAIK only Microsoft requires that your controller is an officially licensed product, but I say fuck 'em and just make it unlicensed for the PS3 then, bam, best pad ever. But of course it's not gonna happen, so eh.
    Because the moment Microsoft detects the security chip and whatever identifier they assigned to MadCatz, they can probably lock them out from the system. That, and there are likely a ton of agreements that they would violate if they release an unlicensed controller that happens to work on their console.

It's okay if small companies like Qanba or Aki do it since they aren't mainstream. However, big names like MadCatz, Hori and Razer are pretty much limited due to being big names who actually do hold Microsoft licenses. IIRC this is why Datel got sued awhile back.

-KR|PromilKid

Yeah I kind of realized and stated that in my post already.
    If you solder like this you won't be able to feel it - promise. I agree that soldering to the IC is preferable but would be even more intimidating to an amateur. Toodles also has a board that requires no soldering and leaves the Saturn pad intact. The idea is solid though. I'll be using my Saturn pad through Xbox 1080.

http://srktt.com/photos/saturn/saturn09.jpg[/IMG]

Oh I see, if it is not felt then that is good. I completely forgot about toodles converter board. I am also glad to hear that you will be using your saturn pad for any future system. It always annoys me a little when someone says I wish this pad was like this pad because I always think. " well just use the pad you want it to be like and problem solved"
    It's okay if small companies like Qanba or Aki do it since they aren't mainstream. However, big names like MadCatz, Hori and Razer are pretty much limited due to being big names who actually do hold Microsoft licenses. IIRC this is why Datel got sued awhile back.

I actually don't believe microsoft likes that they are doing it either. I think because they are based over seas that microsoft can't touch them or something like that. I am sure if they could they would stop them with a quickness.
    My point is that sales of Akishop PS360s and Qanba/Eightarc sticks are probably not big enough for Microsoft to really pay attention to them. If not, I'm sure they'd have sued Eightarc (which is based in the US) already.

-KR|PromilKid

Yep. I play fighting games on sticks (on a cab for that matter) but if I'm going to use a pad it's going to be a Saturn pad damnit. I have probably a dozen of them. They are as close to my heart as the old Namco sticks.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

• PaperTigrePaperTigre しあわせゲットだよ! Joined: Posts: 2,177 ✭✭
    I actually don't believe microsoft likes that they are doing it either. I think because they are based over seas that microsoft can't touch them or something like that. I am sure if they could they would stop them with a quickness.
    Oh, Microsoft could go after them if they wanted to. Lets look at this realistically though, the Akishop an Qanba setups are super small, Microsoft is moreso concerned about going after unauthorized parts makers who are actually giving them problems.
    Mark should get his team to copy the shape of the area around the d-pad of the Saturn Pad.
    saturnusbkb2e.jpg
    As you can see, it's concave in that area and IMO, that helps alot with the feel of the d-pad.

-KR|PromilKid

Mark should get his team to copy the shape of the area around the d-pad of the Saturn Pad.
    saturnusbkb2e.jpg
    As you can see, it's concave in that area and IMO, that helps alot with the feel of the d-pad.

They should just copy the whole pad full stop :-), its nearly perfect except for the buttons, one of the things I actually like about the fight pads is the buttons are bigger and all convex. Maybe its just that I’m older or have big hands, but the buttons on the top row are a little small on the Saturn pad and my fingers sometimes trip over each other. Having the top row convex and the bottom concave is a little weird on the Saturn pad, but not the end of the world, some prefer convex and others prefer concave but you please neither with a half and half approach. I also prefer the Dual Shocks segmented Dpad to the Saturn’s but that’s just my preference, the Saturns Dpad is still great and again, some people prefer one over the other.

Maybe release 2 different pads, one with a segmented Dpad and convex buttons and the other with a standard Dpad and concave buttons, but make the parts easily interchangeable between the two models ? :-)
  • XiahouXiahou Joined: Posts: 222
    I bought a xT fightpad a couple months ago and the dpad registers my right inputs as down right. Everything else is still fine but I can't do clean right inputs anymore.
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's what I'd like to see in my ideal "ultimate" controller:
    - 6 buttons on the face, with flat or convex tops (like Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro)
    - 4 shoulder buttons, with L-R swapping switch (like Hori FC3Pro)
    - two analog sticks
    - Swappable stick/d-pad modules (like MLG pad)
    - Detachable cable (like MLG pad)
    - no game-specific art (sorry, I really don't like the SF4 or SFxT branded look of the current Mad Catz fightpads; I'd rather have a clean/classy look like the Hori FC3Pro)

So basically: if the Mad Catz MLG pad and the Hori FC3Pro had a child, it'd probably be the best controller ever. :D
    Though in all honesty, this sounds like it'd require a HUGE controller, something like the size of the Xbox Duke Controller.

...so an obese offspring of the MLG and FC3Pro controllers.
    Current stick: custom Modular ABS stick (LS-31-01 + PS-14-GN)
    Cabinet: custom cabinet (32" LCD, X360, JLF + PS-14-KN)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ Hitomi-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Puzzle Fighter, Hyper SF2, Vampire Savior 2, SF Alpha/Zero 3, Vampire Hunter 2
    Naomi GD-ROM: CvS1 Pro, Ikaruga, Puyo Puyo Fever, SF Zero3 Upper, Triggerheart Excelica
  • paqman3dpaqman3d Joined: Posts: 94
    I agree on several notes in this thread. For starters, the Mad Catz pads, as well as ALL fightpads lately by all companies don't really satisfy the play styles of pad warriors. They are all decent efforts, but they are clearly marketed and made for the casual fighting game player and don't have the "serious" fighting game pad player in mind at all. This is evident by the quality of these pads.

I do play on stick now, but that is solely because my pads -- and I own a lot of them -- keep breaking down on me due to heavy use or just poor build quality to begin with. The best way to remedy this situation is to make a fightpad with swappable parts like the MLG pad. This ensures that something wears out, it's an easy and cost effective switch for the player. In turn, this also can satisfy pad players who prefer a d-pad, an analog stick, or a Neo Geo/PDP versus type arcade nub. This might also open the door for "square gate" like modules in addition to the octo-like nubs the PDP and Neo Geo pads have always had to help players who use charge characters or just want a tighter feeling control method.

As far as the button layout, six buttons on the face and two shoulder buttons seems to be fine. The face buttons absolutely need to be on microswitches. I prefer the buttons on the PDP over the Mad Catz fight pad hands down, as the clicky nature of the PDP feels more responsive than the mushy Mad Catz buttons. If it's possible to have these be hot swappable, either by each button or by the entire six button interface, then that's an extra plus -- esp. in the customization dept.

Customizable faceplates like the MLG and also the screw in USB cord would be ideal as well.

Bottom line, I'm willing to spend upwards of $100 for something like this, and I'm sure many ppl in this forum would too.
    I guess that's a fair question. Do you really think there is a market for high end pads? I think the compromise is keeping the cost low and improving the build quality.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

I forgot to mention ergonomics come into play, too. The current SFxT pad is a almost "there" in terms of being comfortable to hold over long periods of time. I know the shape and feel of it are inspired by the Sega Saturn pad of old, but a slight tweak to the shape to make it more natural to hold would do wonders. The crazy look of the lop-sided PDP Versus is a great place to draw inspiration from. The "feel" of that pad is light years ahead of the SFxT pad, IMO. It's one of the few things PDP got right about that product.

I've had the SFxT pad since it's release and I kind of have longer fingers and bigger hands than most folks, so it's probably a problem I'm just personally having, but I do end up feeling cramped. Again, it's not the size of the pad, it's the way it fits into your hands. The back of the pad is just a flat surface with no curves or natural resting spots.

Unrelated, but taking out the turbo feature would be nice. I honestly have no use for it, and I'm not sure if anyone really uses it. I noticed my stick has Turbo and I have no idea why either. Additionally, placing the start and back/select buttons on the top of the pad would be nice too. I've never hit the start button where it is now by accident, but it being at the top and being completely out of the way is a good option to consider as well.

Good luck Mad Catz, because whom ever makes the first "God Pad" I will forever be in debt to lol.
  • RiderkickerRiderkicker Joined: Posts: 110
    I'm just disappointed in Sega for getting rid of their hardware business when they could've made a decent buck off of selling accessories. If they continued selling Sega Saturn-style pads, I wouldn't need a fightpad.
    Unless somebody has the bright idea of teaming up with Sega or something, I'll agree with d3v about having a better D-Pad. I'm happy with my Chun Li pad, but I really wish it had a D-Pad exactly like the Saturn one.
    I guess that's a fair question. Do you really think there is a market for high end pads? I think the compromise is keeping the cost low and improving the build quality.

Absolutely there's a market for it if people are spending $200 on sticks. If you really think about it, the major factor in people even using a stick is because pads have traditionally sucked. Even today, while we have more options, they still suck. The only way to improve build quality is to up the price. If you up the price over $50 to begin with it's automatically a niche product, so why not just go all the way with it and consider some things pad players specifically want? We got a whole gang of people on this forum who play on pads, and you got more and more players in major tournaments playing on pads as well.

I've bought two wired Xbox 360 controllers, a transforming dpad Xbox controller, the Mad Catz SFxT pad, the MLG Pro Circuit, 3 PDP Versus pads on 360 and 1 for PS3, in addition to an arcade stick that was $160. All of these have qualities I like individually, but none satisfy my personal needs as a fighting game player as they all have either design flaws or quality flaws. The amount of money I've blown through just to give up and use a stick is maddening. A pad is more convenient to carry at tournaments, more comfortable to relax with at home (there's no way I can slouch and play on a stick), and makes less noise. A "God Pad" is the best way to hit all fronts in terms of player styles and build quality.

Mad Catz can still make these current pads at the price point they have them at. A lot of people use them and are actually fine with them, but I'm really tired of pad players being over looked and given crap while stick players get everything in the world. If a high end pad never gets made, then fine, I'm already in the process of converting to stick anyways, but if an amazing pad is ever made, I will go back in a heartbeat.
  • gaemmkgaemmk Joined: Posts: 152 ✭✭
    I'm glad MarkMan has responded to this thread. I messaged him about my Madcatz pad breaking down after about 5 months, and I was beginning to think he didn't care about his products. It sucks because I enjoyed the SFXT pad a lot. IMO, the SFXT pad is a superior design to the Sega Saturn pad, but since it might not hold up I can't recommend it. I say it's superior because the dpad is raised higher than the saturn pad, and the buttons are perfectly sized and spaced, which makes them more responsive and plinking easier. The shoulder buttons go to the Saturn, but if I were being honest the shoulder (MODE) button of the original Sega 6-button pad is the best of all, because it's flat and instantly responsive.

The thing I've learned is that the rubber contacts for the buttons of the modern pads are not as good as the older Japanese manufactured pads, like the original Sega 6-button pads. The Saturn pads were made in China. The original 3-button Genesis pads were made in Taiwan, and the 6-button pads were made in Japan, and the quality shows because the rubber contacts are sturdier.

I bought a Hori FC3, and mine broke down faster than my SFXT pad, but I will say that Madcatz needs to seriously copy the shoulder button movement function because it's invaluable. There is no need for left shoulder buttons on a fight pad. Every modern pad should have two shoulder buttons on the right side with a 6-button face. The main problem I had with the Hori FC3 is that the dpad is the worst I've ever used since the original PSX controller. The Hori FC3 dpad is too stiff, and too flush to the face of the pad. Doing Yun's BnB combo's on the pad are a nightmare because your thumb is too low on the pad due to how flush the dpad is to the pad's face.

The SFXT pad has an infinately better dpad, but I feel like it should be raised to about 1 and 1/2 cm or about 5/8 of an inch.
    I feel like pad makers don't take pads seriously, and they automatically assume that pad users are scrubs. That's why they include useless functions like turbo buttons, which they could eliminate and cut costs.

My dream pad would be a pad with the dimensions similar to the SFXT pad with shoulder button features of the Hori FC3, the SFXT dpad (slightly raised with a tad more resistance), SFXT pad buttons, no turbo feature, and flat shoulder buttons.

Tip to pad makers: please get rid of the PS3 L2, R2 hook design. That is the worst design ever, especially for fighting game players. Why? Because it is not an instant button tap.
  • Private EyeballPrivate Eyeball Cap'm Derek Joined: Posts: 1,440
    I'd just like to see the current MadCatz pads remade with microswitches, like that funky PDP pad.
    Something something Hulkamania run something on something.
    Gaemmk and Private Eyeball make good points. The SFxT pad's button placement is great; I can do EX moves by pressing L+M punch or kick with my thumb all day long, which is something I can't do on the PDP because the buttons are spaced slightly further apart. Doing combos are also easier on the SFxT pad over the PDP Versus.

Even if the next pad they released only had the addition of microswitches and no turbo, that'd be a fantastic start. Of course, I'd push Mad Catz to do more for us pad guys, but it's a start.

As far as both shoulder buttons on the right side, I think that's an interesting concept. It's not like I need PPP or KKK all the time. I'd be all for it if the shoulder buttons were comfy.
  • gaemmkgaemmk Joined: Posts: 152 ✭✭
    I'd just like to see the current MadCatz pads remade with microswitches, like that funky PDP pad.

Won't those things still wear out though? I was going to buy the Neo Geo PS3 pad a few years ago, but I didn't want to drop $60 to $70 dollars on the pad, because I wasn't familiar with the Neo pad 2's microswitch pad feel, and I saw a video with a guy who had to refurbish his microswitches. I'd be in favor of a microswitch style pad if you could replace the pad/switches when they break down, like you can on an arcade stick.
    If you guys are looking for a viable solution I would message Gummo or another modder and request a Saturn to PS/360 converter. At least you wouldn't be replacing it on a regular basis.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

• aggro cragaggro crag Joined: Posts: 199
    I think it would be cool if Madcatz did something similar to the MLG pad. Give players the ability to swap out the D-pad. 6 buttons on the face. Detachable cable. And adjustable weights.
  • roninwarrior24roninwarrior24 Custom Title Joined: Posts: 635

8881d_B002LT9PXQ_41ndT5igfDL.jpg

Not perfect, but the closest thing to what you described. Only problem is that it's only on 360 (why did Hori make two completely different pads for each system?).
    Almost there.jpg

Not perfect, but the closest thing to what you described. Only problem is that it's only on 360 (why did Hori make two completely different pads for each system?).

I really appreciate the interest and the find buuuutt..... gotta nitpick!

Dpad placement would have to be where the left stick is.

Dpad looks crappy

Buttons looks small on the face

Like you said, 360 only.

WE'RE GETTING THERE!!!

Also nice to see the thread got more posts, I still had the best idea.

SUPERIOR TECH!
  • kikimaru024kikimaru024 Mid-tier scrub Joined: Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭
    [...] IIRC this is why Datel got sued awhile back.
    Incorrect.

"Datel's suit against Microsoft claimed the console manufacturer was in breach of antitrust laws in updating its firmware to lock out Datel devices [memory card adapters]. Microsoft denied the claims and fought back with its own lawsuit against Datel, claiming patent infringement over a third-party controller created by Datel that was said to too closely resemble the official 360 controller. " (via Joystiq)
    Seimitsu & K-sticks > Sanwa JLF.
    This truth is not universally acknowledged.