Pandora tech finding thread (ver 2013)

Vulcan HadesVulcan Hades Flea Stance Tea-baggingJoined: Posts: 1,842
edited February 2013 in Street Fighter x Tekken
NINJA EDIT

SFxT ver 2013 is finally out and Pandora is a brand new mechanic. That means we start from scratch.

Pandora changes are as follows:

-Pandora now lasts 10 seconds instead of 7.
-Gives instant full stock instead of refilling gradually.
-The teleport has been eliminated and now your partner appears right where your point was sacrificed.
-Damage is multiplied by 1.15 no matter how much health you have left.
-Has less startup/recovery frames. (not sure about the exact frames)

Pandora youtube playlist by Justice Soultuna
(contains various 2013 vids from Desk, JST, myself and other contributors)

Pandora uses in combos:

Pandora gem setups:

Pandora uses outside of combos:

Archive of the old mechanic: Pandora tech finding thread (ver 2012)
Post edited by Vulcan Hades on
SFxT - Juri, Yoshimitsu, Christie, Asuka, Marduk, Blanka, Bison, Kuma...
TTT2 - Yoshimitsu, Christie

Comments

• Juri_kills_friend!Juri_kills_friend! Leader of the Lili Army Joined: Posts: 2,032
    thank you very much for this post. I'm in the process of researching pandora tech and hope i can too contribute any new finds.
    JOIN THE LILI ARMY! FOFOFOFOFOFOFO!
    SFXTekken: Ken x Lili (Money Inc) and maybe juri and sakura, and rolento, and maybe nina too!
    2012; Majors Gone to: Winter Brawl, Civil War 4, Capcom 25th Anniversary NYC
    Lili Reset Guide & Video Guide by yours truly JKF
  • rokninroknin Keeps Trying Joined: Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really great work man, and definitely good to have it consolidated to its own thread. Should probably be stickied. :rock:
    ~ aka "ninrok" aka "waifufighter" ~
    SFxT - Juri, Cammy, Elena, Jack-X (WIP) | Smash - Samus, Lucina (?)
    Tekken | Leo / Feng | USF4 - Rose, Poison
    youtube | soundcloud | tumblr
  • JusticeSoulTunaJusticeSoulTuna High Tier Blood Joined: Posts: 629 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic post dude. And thanks for featuring my vids here too. Still trying my hardest to figure out new ways to make Pandora work. Unless they do anything to it in ver.2013 then we'll have to keep brainstorming. And to be honest at this point I dunno if I want them to change it, haha. Still, great post.
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    Check out SFxT Blast Unlimited on YouTube; submit clips to appear in this hype clip compilation show.
  • Vulcan HadesVulcan Hades Flea Stance Tea-bagging Joined: Posts: 1,842
    Spoiler:
    Great point. I think the thing that ails most people when using it, myself included, is the incredibly risk when you activate it because it means no mistakes or else. I've realized that for me personally the best time to activate it is when the opponent is at around 50% and there's about 20 seconds left, and only when it feels like there's no other options. For example the other night I baited my friend into DP'ing me and Pandora'd so it whiffed, instantly did crouch medium into super. And it hurt, but sadly he had about 60-70% health so it was a wasted effort. But I feel like in situations like that perhaps where, like you mentioned, you can gain an advantage by using it to do what normally can't be done it's useful. The problem is only the conscious choice to activate it more than anything else.
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    Check out SFxT Blast Unlimited on YouTube; submit clips to appear in this hype clip compilation show.
    Yeah, for me personally.. I still find it hard to think about Pandora when I'm playing.

Because when I'm at 25% health or less, I'm not exactly thinking: "Alright, I can do this! Bring it chump, Imma Pandora your candy ass into space!"

I'm thinking: "OMG I'M GOING TO DIE! Quick I need to think of ways to get this character out so he can recover his grey health and bring my high health character in!"

That's the other problem with Pandora: Our instincts and logical/rational thinking goes against what Pandora is asking us to do.
    But I feel like in situations like that perhaps where, like you mentioned, you can gain an advantage by using it to do what normally can't be done it's useful. The problem is only the conscious choice to activate it more than anything else.

Agreed so much. That's been my problem in actual matches; I only recognize it after the match is over. "I could've pandora'd and punished that hard!" But during the match, Pretty much the same as Vulcan said (bail out! bail out! switch characters!).

It's definitely a change in mental attitude. I'm trying to find that mindset I had when playing KOF 98, where I could look up, see I'm bleeding as say "okay, next hit I can go balls out with these infinite level-1s," but it's so much dicier since after Pandora's timer is gone, you lose.

It's an interesting balance to strike.
    2 things. 1: Jin's Pandora drains faster than anyone else's...I thought I was imagining it, or it was based upon the length of his super but seriously, when Lars is just waiting his Pandora takes ages to finish, but Jin's one is visibly faster. Which leads me to believe that characters have DIFFERENT PANDORA LENGTHS.
    2: I've figured out some new tech and will be making a video soon. It seemed hella simple so I'm surprised no one's thought of it. I'll post it here ASAP

EDIT: In regards to the first point I made it's strange...When I Pandora from Jin to Lars, Lars lasts longer. However when I Pandora from, say, Jin to Kazuya, Kazuya's one lasts as long as Jin's does. Ryu as well. Hm...I don't know what this means, I'll keep looking into it.
    EDIT2: Now it looks like they're the same length. Maybe I'm just confused, but I could've sworn I saw that Jin's was faster. Anyways, I'm still making the video regardless
    @JusticeSoulTuna
  • DocDignityDocDignity Joined: Posts: 380
    Actually, now with the changes and Dudleys Super connecting more often it could be possible to go with my other char into Pandora, then Dud ExMGB - jHK - crHK - Super for huge damage from full screen whiff/ CADC punish...am I right? Does that sound realistic?
    And here it is guys, an answer to the Pandora spawn issue. As usual, it's kinda conditional, and like we've mentioned in this thread the onus is upon you to choose to do this, but I feel like this is one of the much easier things to do in Pandora, and it relies on what the opponent does. Even though this video focuses on DPs, I express that there's possibilities for other punishes when in the corner (or midscreen with a good super). Check it out:

@JusticeSoulTuna
    Interesting find. Now I can Pandora with Gief if my Duds is in the corner to punish.... Everything? :D
    Interesting find. Now I can Pandora with Gief if my Duds is in the corner to punish.... Everything? :D
    Well yeah.. but you could already do that without Pandora lol. But Pandora does add some extra damage. However depending on your gem setup and character you use, it might be wiser to not activate Pandora right away. Some teams can do more damage by just doing a normal punish into ground/wall bounce or whatever then activate pandora and combo into Super.

Unfortunately, the chances of opponent throwing a DP when you're in the corner without tag canceling it are pretty low. At least in my experience. Good players aren't so eager to mash DP unless they have meter to make it safe.
    I know that's true, and obviously the chances that this will happen without fail are slim, but that's the point really, Pandora's a risky choice for situations that don't always happen. I just figured this would be a way of opening up possibilities, cause is doesn't have to be specifically DPs. Busting my chops or not ya have to admit it's better than nothing, haha. Gotta at least help people realize what you can do as opposed to still assuming Pandora is useless
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    What I meant is: Every whiffed/ most blocked moves could be punished by my partner sacrificing, nasty Pandora Gief coming in and Super the opponent. Midscreen it doesn't work tho, because I'm too far away.
    Oh wow, sorry I thought you were saying sacrificing Gief to get Dudley a punish. But yeah I didn't think about that 0 frame Super. That sounds pretty good.

btw anyone know the exact frame data and properties of Pandora? I think it's like 6-8 recovery or something close to that. Not sure where I read that but I know it was initially supposed to be 0 frames like Rose's Ultra 2. Imagine 0 frame Pandora + 0-2 frame Super lol. You would basically be able to whiff punish anything at all for like a ton of damage.
    magine 0 frame Pandora + 0-2 frame Super lol. You would basically be able to whiff punish anything at all for like a ton of damage.

That would be so sick.

...maybe a little too sick lol.
    That would be so sick.

...maybe a little too sick lol.
    I could live with...if I'm the one doing it :D
  • EmpryreanEmpryrean ╯°□°)╯︵ (波動拳) Joined: Posts: 440
    Guys is there any sort of Pandora setup I can do with my main team Nina x Julia? I've tried ex splitter into pandora and Julia is too far away to do anything, I've tried counter hit Ivory Cutter, Julia is too far away to do anything, I've tried Julia's crumple but Nina is too far away to do anything :/
    PSN:Empryrean
    XBL:Empyraeon
    RIP Psn :(
    Sounds like she is too far away... Always :D

What about Nina's crumple - Pandora - Julia LP Dash - Super?
    But again, if you have your back to the corner, it's better. Then a few things should work, especially with Julia's fast super.
    I really have to play around online with that Pandora into Gief Super. I had the feeling it's faster than 8f. But saying that it's probably sometimes just my opponent being surprised and just not reacting...
  • SUPARNOVAXSUPARNOVAX 必殺技 Joined: Posts: 5,241
    Guys is there any sort of Pandora setup I can do with my main team Nina x Julia? I've tried ex splitter into pandora and Julia is too far away to do anything, I've tried counter hit Ivory Cutter, Julia is too far away to do anything, I've tried Julia's crumple but Nina is too far away to do anything :/
    EX-Blonde Bomb is all I can recall being able to setup stuff. You have to cancel at the earliest frame after BB ends.
    "Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as reality. To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary, and its punishment is but an urge for me to greater effort to achieve my goal. Defeat simply tells me that something is wrong in my doing; it is a path leading to success and truth." ~ Bruce Lee
    Sounds like she is too far away... Always :D

What about Nina's crumple - Pandora - Julia LK Dash - Super?
    But again, if you have your back to the corner, it's better. Then a few things should work, especially with Julia's fast super.
    I really have to play around online with that Pandora into Gief Super. I had the feeling it's faster than 8f. But saying that it's probably sometimes just my opponent being surprised and just not reacting...
    Hey I think you're onto something. That's nothing short of brilliant Doc! I could use her ex Blonde sexy Mmm ooh lala as a fireball punish and catch them then Pandora, I hope Julia can reach. That'd be some maddening stuff, I'd even gander that I might be able to do Julia's groundbounce if I'm quick enough, that itself is already a 200 dmg setup before the super. This is good stuff Doc, thanks!
    Hey I think you're onto something. That's nothing short of brilliant Doc! I could use her ex Blonde sexy Mmm ooh lala as a fireball punish and catch them then Pandora, I hope Julia can reach. That'd be some maddening stuff, I'd even gander that I might be able to do Julia's groundbounce if I'm quick enough, that itself is already a 200 dmg setup before the super. This is good stuff Doc, thanks!
    Just try it first. Not sure, but I'm quite confident. And yeah, FB punish is one of the possibilities. I don't think LP Dash - fHK would be fast enough tho.

@Supernovax: ninjaed! :)
    Bad news to report guys :(

Julia's crumple > pandora > Nina's blonde super works BARELY if you time it right.
    Nothing Nina does can set up Julia for a good pandora womp. Time to pick up Juri and Asuka I guess :(

did I mention I was sad? :(
    Bad news to report guys :(

Julia's crumple > pandora > Nina's blonde super works BARELY if you time it right.
    Nothing Nina does can set up Julia for a good pandora womp. Time to pick up Juri and Asuka I guess :(

did I mention I was sad? :(

Watch my videos bro, you might figure somethin out ;) *shameless self promotion* But that aside, don't give up yet, there's definitely a way to do it with every character it just depends how and what situation.
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    It worked, the corner punish works very VERY good for nina. Julia.. meh, she gets 600 at best. But man, oh man that Nina = 900+ dmg.
    With a little bit of experimenting with which gems make for a stronger attack, I found that the pandora gem and the gem that activates on super gives more than #60 super boost. I'll find the numbers tomorrow. so much tired.
    Hey again guys. As a follow-up to my last video, and inspired by alexlkq's video, I made this to demonstrate how this time by putting yourself in the corner you can Pandora to make your character appear close and do a legit combo. I just do a few sample combos with my team, wasn't really gonna do like the whole cast like that last video, but I was hoping this would open up possibilities and ideas:

@JusticeSoulTuna
    Looking at Yoshimitsu's buffs, I thought of something:
    Suicide – Damage 120->250 - Self Damage 60->200
    Yoshimitsu is the only character in the game who inflicts damage to himself. Currently, he only self inflicts 60 damage. But in ver 2013 he will do 200 damage to himself.

What this basically means is that Yoshi has more control over Pandora than any other character. This move allows me to decide if I want to have 25% health sooner and access all the options that Pandora opens up. So for example, if I'm at 40% health and I land a suicide xx switch, suddenly I control my high health partner but I also have Yoshi in the back with Pandora ready to activate. Or I can decide launch back to Yoshi which presents more risk but gives me instant access to those new AA and punish options.
    Pretty frickin smart dude. This is assuming of course that Pandora remains unchanged. But that's some really smart thinkin you got there
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    Sup guys, if you check the newest EventHubs post about the patch notes: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/oct/24/street-fighter-x-tekken-v2013-patch-notes-part-4-alisa-bryan-christie-jack-x-lars-lei-kuro-pac-man-and-system-changes/ , at literally the very bottom Pandora's time has been increased from 7 seconds to 10 seconds. Not huge, and nothing that will change the mechanic around but this is fine with me, more time literally means more options and even an additional special move. Perhaps even Jin's super won't kill him if done raw. As soon as this patch comes out, beside experimenting with the new changes (and hoping to not get put on sudoku watch...I wanna still play this game but damn, some of these character changes) I'll have to see what difference this time increase can make.
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    Nevermind, they shifted the system changes to the top. Either way, check it out.
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    That was a big relief for me lol.. I'm kinda glad they didn't buff Pandora tbh. And I'm especially glad to know that the techs we found will still be applicable in ver 2013. 3 more seconds just means you can do more stuff and land more hits so you have a higher chance at coming back.

What I was most afraid of is if they removed the teleport part of Pandora, because then the best options Pandora offers would be gone imho.
    Yeah good point. We used to think it's a liability but now we've come to realize that it's actually what makes it useful. Hopefully more time does help out, and maybe we'll do stuff as hype as in that Vita trailer, haha.
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    Decided to make a playlist for all our Pandora tech vids, as a quick and easy reference point to send to people looking for uses for it and naysaers alike.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTF_kG99z86uzWPFMbvKUajCVL92fxJPe&feature=view_all
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    This really blew my mind actually managing to see this on my daily show, check out the second clip:

@JusticeSoulTuna
    I guess the "mind blowing" part is that it's around 750 damage for only 1 meter and 1 power gem. That's pretty good damage for the resource required. It's certainly more than what my team can do with 2 power gems. :(
    Yeah but soon I predict doom in all our futures *BibleThump* #Ver.2013. And today I learned that midscreen Pandora from Lars to Jin doesn't work and when it does the damage is TERRIBLE, and I mean TERRIBLE. Jin to Lars is fine, but the other way around is pitiful
    @JusticeSoulTuna
  • ShadolooDollShadolooDoll Joined: Posts: 2,919 ✭✭
    This really blew my mind actually managing to see this on my daily show, check out the second clip:

am I the only one that laughed at the dialogue?

Juri- what... the Hell...?! *dies*
    Rufus- now im gonna finish ya! =D
    R.I.P. sksksksksk222

That was a big relief for me lol.. I'm kinda glad they didn't buff Pandora tbh. And I'm especially glad to know that the techs we found will still be applicable in ver 2013. 3 more seconds just means you can do more stuff and land more hits so you have a higher chance at coming back.

What I was most afraid of is if they removed the teleport part of Pandora, because then the best options Pandora offers would be gone imho.

That's what I was thinking as well. Kinda' makes you wonder if Capcom intentionally did that for such things to be discovered...?

(probably one of those "happy accidents")

Either way, it's looking good for the Pandora tech.
    So as soon as I say that, someone has gotten Dawgtanian's attention (or is trying to) on Eventhubs in regards to making Pandora place the character in the same spot, rather than moving them. I'd REALLY like to link the Pandora vids, but don't want to just throw tech out there to EH unless y'all are cool with it. Or, unless we're thinking it would be a good change.

Permission to link your video on EH Vulcan?
    Well dunno about Vulcan, but you can definitely use my vids, cause the more people who see it the better. Pearls before swine or not, best to give people the chance to see it since ya never know, someone can easily benefit from them. If Vulcan agrees then maybe you can use the whole playlist too =] If our stuff gets featured that'd be perfect
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    So as soon as I say that, someone has gotten Dawgtanian's attention (or is trying to) on Eventhubs in regards to making Pandora place the character in the same spot, rather than moving them. I'd REALLY like to link the Pandora vids, but don't want to just throw tech out there to EH unless y'all are cool with it. Or, unless we're thinking it would be a good change.

Permission to link your video on EH Vulcan?
    Sure, why not.
    We in der B)
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    Alright, put it out there (linked, tip). We'll see what EH does with it, they're usually good about posting articles. :)

Pretty sure the usual comment monsters are going to dismiss it, but hey, if they start experimenting with it, then who knows?
    lol @ that one round where Gamerbee did Pandora by accident (he was trying to do a cross-assault i think) but still managed to whiff punish a poke or string from Cody with Jack-X's super. That was kinda hype. :rofl: Too bad the pandora super didn't do enough damage to kill. :shake: But you can already see how the additional 3 seconds could make a huge difference in practice. In this example, 3 additional seconds would've given Gamerbee enough time to throw Justin Wong or get a cross-up and get the kill.

Of course, if Gamerbee had the power gem that activates on Super and/or the power gem that activates when you go into pandora, it probably would've killed Justin Wong too.

That's what kinda sucks with Pandora. You can only get really good damage if you have the gems for it. Making it a lot less effective without the proper gem setup. So I can understand the people who hate the fact that the game mechanics are balanced around gems. But at the same time, I find that kinda cool. I mean it would be pretty stupid if you could whiff punish, AA or full screen punish for 600-700 damage without any gems at all. Because then there would be very little reason not to activate Pandora every single round. And with gems on top of that, pandora would basically become an instant win button.

The fact that you can buff the pandora mechanic, your movement speed or meter gain with gems, to me it's like in AE when you choose which Ultra you want to go with. The one that allows you to anti-air or the one that allows you to go through projectiles and full screen punish. The one you can activate after a knockdown or the one you can fish for with FADC in footsies etc. Basically, gems are your gameplan. If you have no gems then you have no gameplan and 0 advantage. That's why I don't understand players who never pick gems in a tournament.

For ways they could tweak the pandora mechanic, I personally like the idea of resetting the juggle count. I'm not sure how much that could affect the damage output though..
    Seems Ayano's re-considering what will happen with Pandora. But damn it, Event Hubs still has had no mention of this thread =/ Anyway, here's the post:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/nov/02/ayano-taking-second-look-pandora-tweaks-street-fighter-x-tekken-due-fan-feedback-discusses-other-changes/
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    I don't even care at this point. If they do something stupid and turn Pandora into a broken comeback mechanic it will only advantage my characters more. :)
    Hah, well who knows. I'd like to see some sensible changes, but changing it beyond just time changes will change the whole mechanic around completely. If it's made to be broken I dunno if I'd be fine with it, it honestly depends, but I guess we'll see. I'd like changes but I'm still somewhat fine with the way it is. If it becomes another x-factor I'd still like the game, but I'd be lying if I said I was completely happy with that. And to clarify I actually like x-factor, and UMVC3, but in SFxT? I dunno. Anyway, like I said we'll see
    @JusticeSoulTuna
    No I agree completely. And for me it's not even about becoming the next X-factor - I just don't want it to become done thing stupid that people can mash out to save their asses.

For example, one of the familiar cries is that pandora should freeze the round clock. That SOUNDS good and at one point I agreed... But then I thought about it. If it freezes the round clock, then essentially there is absolutely no reason not to use it in every match at the last second, because now you get an extra seven seconds regardless.

Combine that with the pandora gems and you suddenly get to add all kinds of time to the clock because you weren't watching it.

Another is the "survive with only one character" idea. Thing is, that's the marvel way to look at - having only one character is crippling against an opponent with two because now they have an assist to help control space with...

In this game, losing your partner would be detrimental, but you aren't fighting against a double team in that sense - it's still 1v1. You are handicapped but its not as daunting a task... So again the thought becomes "why not? I land this pandora combo and now I get one mixup, comeback time"... I don't know, I'm not a fan of it.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong... Literally the only things I'd agree with is a slight bit more time, and a juggle count reset, but that'd be it.

Edit: keeping in mind I won't drop the game over it. Just adept. Unless it actually does hit XF levels.
  • therooktherook I Challenge My Fate! Joined: Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭
    Has there been any reports of screen position changes once Pandora has been activated in 2013?
    SFIV: Guy, Cody, E.Ryu, Poison.
    Gundam Extreme: Wing Zero(TV)
    Tekken: Lili, Asuka, A.King, Julia/Jaycee, Kunimitsu.
    SC: Taki/Natsu
    VF5FS: Eileen, El Blaze, Aoi.
    Literally after talking about how the change in position can be a good thing, I got a Pandora win because of it!

Unfortunately, Youtube is being a dick-in-a-box after I went through all the fucking trouble of fucking uploading it, and will not let me get the URL or mark it as public (I generally upload as private first to make sure the video won't explode on people. I don't need no lawsuits). I'm legitimately kinda' not happy. -____-

As soon as Youtube stops being a prick, I'll post it. I mean it's nothing unheard of or new research - just felt good to get a Pandora win because I was thinking about the current system, thanks to you fine fellas'.