I think I like to do combos more than actual fighting.

BigOlePappyBigOlePappy Joined: Posts: 273
I try the hardest combos in my arsenal during matches and drop them (Viper/Doom/Strider) and then I really lose my will to fight. I really just wanted to do the combos lol. Afterwards I go to training mode and then find myself enjoying doing the complex executions more than the actual matches. Its almost like art. Like the understanding of the mechanics and implementing them to make combos is more interesting than blocking Vergil orb crossups for half the match and losing to herp derp stuff.

The problem is that at the moment I mostly play online. Its very hard to get a consistent connection and do Viper's craziness.

I think a good quote anaology is where Joker in TDK says "Its not about money (winning) its about sending a message (doing something perfect and beautiful execution wise)."

What advice do you have SRK. How can I implement this love of execution into real gameplay without getting bored of blocking all kinds of assist lock down unblockable craziness.
MVC1: Strider/Gambit
MVC3: C.Viper/Mag/Morrigan
UMVC3: C.Viper/Doom/Strider
XvsSF: Gambit/Charlie
Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.

Comments

• RikirRikir Servbot Joined: Posts: 1,003 ✭✭
    Uhh... maybe you should look into making Combo Videos then?
    PSN: Al_Rikir
    UMvC3: Tron/Dante/Arthur
    P4A: Naoto
    VSav: Q-Bee
  • EirokajEirokaj The Pad Warrior Joined: Posts: 895
    ^ What Rikir said.

Or, If your opponent is basically open for an attack, then proceed on showing your execution from there.
    Xbox One GT: RL Eirokaj
    + Killer Instinct: Sadira / T.J. Combo

Playstation Network ID: EiroHeart
    + USFIV: Guy | JJASB: Iggy / Lisa Lisa | UNIEL: Hilda

--

Twitter - https://twitter.com/Eirokaj
  • chirpchirp Joined: Posts: 3,169
    learn dante
    pick a low assist like felicia or deadpool
    open people up by accident half the time, go into long, silly combo
  • sikwiditsikwidit Joined: Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combo videos are probably your thing. I know some people that dont really care to actually fight but just like doing combos in training mode and such
  • BigOlePappyBigOlePappy Joined: Posts: 273
    Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it.

What I found odd after playing lots on online is that a lot of people didn't really care about execution. They were happy to mash Wesker or Hulk and teabag me and thats where they drew their enjoyment.

I actually have an lag team (Nemesis/Wesker/Hawkeye) that is able to 100 percent people with very easy combos and I find myself winning alot with them...but its not fun. It doesn't feel rewarding or like I'm doing anything really special.
  • bkfst_sausagebkfst_sausage ST / SRK2k3 OG Joined: Posts: 2,802
    You sound like a current combo maker.
    PSN: M1X4H < click it!
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half the cast just does not work online. You have to pick low execution characters online to win with any consistency. That's why most Viper players stick to offline.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • BakuhakubasugasuBakuhakubasugasu Eating dreams since '96. Joined: Posts: 3,329
    First thing, don't use online as an accurate measuring stick in how most players actually play.

As everyone says, you definitely sound like a combo maker with that mentality so I suggest you go that route. You also can master a lot of execution heavy combos and implement them in your game too though. I don't really see hard execution combos as impractical so I make those my BnB's and I think that you have a similar mentality if that's the case. You should get as many TAC infinities down and off of different exchanges as well if you really want to execute that much. Go explore in the lab. It's always fun even though it can get boring.
    PSN: Bakuhakubasugasu
    I play all fighting games.
    Youtube<<Combos/Tutorials | TwitchTv<<Stream
    Support our new clothing company, Meaty Mob! http://meatymob.com
  • maziodynemaziodyne I'll crush you in one strike! Joined: Posts: 7,564
    I'm in the same situation, OP. I like the creativity aspect Marvel fosters, but I get too salty from all the situations the game puts you through (especially since I main Strange, and most of the time I end up just zoning and not being able to do my combos). I end up just making combo videos most of the time. Not like that with P4A though, that one I actually like playing outside of training mode.
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
  • stefantenstefanten Joined: Posts: 63
    Yeah I have fun learning new teams and combos, but playing this game online is just frustrating, even if I'm winning. So if I feel like actually fighting I just play AE. Wish it wasn't the case because I like this game, but the netcode completely butchers any enjoyment that could be had online.
    XBL: Cerialbox
    SSF4AE: Cody & Guy
    SFxT: Abel/Bob
  • RokmodeRokmode preppy asked me to change my title rip meaty mud flap Joined: Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game is a really fun training mode game
    THIS WEBSITE SUCKS GIANT HORSE @#$@#$@!@$
    Youtube(random doom TAC help, doom combos, ammy stuff, shuma combos and tech): http://www.youtube.com/user/Clickclakmoo?feature=mhee Danke on shuma gorath: "He who sleeps but shouldn't have costed me 5 dollars."
  • AndoTheCommandoAndoTheCommando Sorry I'm late! Joined: Posts: 2,553
    To be honest I just monster training mode on Marvel now, trying to improve my general execution for other games. Online is a real pain and most players on it play like retards, I'd say just make combo videos or find an offline scene.
    "If I can't beat it, it's probably broken."- Ben Perkins.
    "He's american so he has to get retarded rewards for minimal effort."- Ace's thoughts on Captain America combos.
    "not only is this bitch a super kawaii desu roboto she fucking fun as fuck and ALL THE FUCKING PRETTY COLORS."- Jamal313 on playing Aigis.
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭
    id like to make combo videos, i have fairly decent ish execution, but im not THAT good at doing combos. like ive seen waaaaay more complex combos using my characters than i could ever do, so i dont see the point doing one if its not a patch on whats currently out there.
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
  • RokmodeRokmode preppy asked me to change my title rip meaty mud flap Joined: Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id like to make combo videos, i have fairly decent ish execution, but im not THAT good at doing combos. like ive seen waaaaay more complex combos using my characters than i could ever do, so i dont see the point doing one if its not a patch on whats currently out there.
    Pick some obscure character that no one plays. That way, when you make a video of a day 1 combo, everyone thinks you are the incarnation of jesus.
    Youtube(random doom TAC help, doom combos, ammy stuff, shuma combos and tech): http://www.youtube.com/user/Clickclakmoo?feature=mhee Danke on shuma gorath: "He who sleeps but shouldn't have costed me 5 dollars."
    Pick some obscure character that no one plays. That way, when you make a video of a day 1 combo, everyone thinks you are the incarnation of jesus.

i would totally do a hsien ko combo vid but she didnt make it into the game :(
  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marvel 3 is essentially THE training mode game. It's the best sandbox fighting game right now, I can't speak for marvel 2 as I'm sure that game had very similar traits as far as training mode due to the sheer bulk of characters, but that sandbox aspect is a huge amount of the appeal for playing the game.

Online as a main way of playing is miserable. There are very successful players that came from online, but that's because they perfected incoming mixups and one touch wins online just so the other person wasn't allowed to play. You also have players who test strategies and mixups online, not just combos.

Right now, I'd say online doesn't have very much merit at all, unfortunately. People obviously still play, but the game has definitely evolved incredibly far past the point where input delay is negligible.

The sandbox aspect could be applied further to in-match situations like setups and zoning patterns and mixups and combos and the like, but IMO that's much more enjoyable and applicable of an offline setting.

Finally, the non-sandbox aspect still applies as a fighting game. All the basics apply. For example, combo drops happen - how are you going to recover? Do you start zoning, look for their reversal, hard tag, do they block, do you air throw, do you ex seismo, focus, call an assist? Will they mash out throw or a light attack?

Fighting games are still about decisions and execution. If you are more into the execution, then you can focus on that, or you could attempt to improve your decisions in matches.
  • NonSexualRiceNonSexualRice Hey Fatty Boom Boom, Hit Me with the Ching Ching Joined: Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UMVC3 is a really good training mode game. Now a days I don't even play online, I just go straight into training and lab shit out.

I feel Skullgirls would be better, if it had features.
    BB: valkenhayn/Carl
    SG: Fortune/Eliza (hype train)/Valentine
    What do I need to record my training mode combos?
    A very long controller cord and a telescope with video options
  • RikirRikir Servbot Joined: Posts: 1,003 ✭✭
    What do I need to record my training mode combos?

Look into a capture card, or like an HDPVR or something. Or you can just go poverty and point your phone at the screen like I do.
    PSN: Al_Rikir
    UMvC3: Tron/Dante/Arthur
    P4A: Naoto
    VSav: Q-Bee
  • TenguEggTenguEgg Joined: Posts: 1,145
    Speaking of this game having a ridiculously fun sandbox training mode, what team do you guys think has the most swag potential? I'd say It'd have to be something like Magneto/Doom/Ammy or Dante, simply because Magneto is the poster child for swag in the Marvel series, Doom for his wild variations of TAC swag ( and the fact that it works out well with Magnetos inability to ToD off most touches ).

Ammy has some neat stuff but it doesn't really compare to the XF3 style combos that Dante can do, but she really steps up what you can do to start the styling with Mags/Doom.

Although, thats just a very basic look at it, the novelty of Mag/Doom has worn off since we've seen so much of it. I've seen some crazy strange/coon/modok players that put that Doom TAC stuff to shame but I dunno if thats just because the novelty has worn off or not.
  • maziodynemaziodyne I'll crush you in one strike! Joined: Posts: 7,564
    Anything with Strange.
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
  • Seventyxxtimes7xSeventyxxtimes7x .PovertyAnimeGamesFTW Joined: Posts: 64
    Speaking of this game having a ridiculously fun sandbox training mode, what team do you guys think has the most swag potential?
    Teams no one has ever seen before
    Strange = Impact palm hard-knock down
    Hsien ko = Bitch can walk in the air!!!!
    Deadpool = Who doesn't like wall bonceing an opponite all the way to the other side of the screen
    ammy = slow down of course
    Chris = Suck IT!!
    Phoenix Wright = "See you in court"
    Still so much exploring
    Hsien ko = pointless tenrai ha loops

fixed it for you
    Thanks everyone who contributed again.

Some people recommended Strange, how can I build off his impact palm loops? Is it fundamentally mmh6h j. mm6h, over and over? I am losing to hit stun decay.

I have been thinking about Spencer as a swaggy online character. He seems like the only character that can swag online or do some really fun combos that are practical online. I don't really know how to build off his mechanics though—he has so many tools! It seems like Spencer is allotted 1 wire grapple, several zip lines, 1 wall bounce, then hyper for his combo (not including assists) and you simply plug and play that formula depending on where you are on screen?

To be honest it's simply not just looong combos that I like. I played MSH, MVC1,MVC2 and XvsSF and it really seemed like you had to be deep in the mechanics every combo. I LOVED that. There weren't wall bounces, ground bounces, million year hit stun links, or projectile confirms into ToD (for the most part). You really had to know how to break what Capcom gave you to do damage.
  • CillranchellloCillranchelllo Where am I? Joined: Posts: 301
    Spencer can get 3 vertical grapples in the corner, and 2 anywhere else on his own, 1 wall bounce 1 ground bounce(early in combo or cancel immediately to :qcb::atk::atk:) and can otg with :qcf::s: WITHOUT using the ground bounce based on positioning. (You have to hit with the wave that comes off it instead of with Spencer's body."

Midscreen Corner to Corner Carry:

c. :l::m::h: xx :uf: :atk:+:s: falling j.:m: [ j.:m: j.:h: xx:df::atk:+:s:, falling :s: ]x2 j.:m::h: xx :s: :df::atk::s: :qcf::h:~:l: Backdash :qcf::uf::m: falling :s: xx :f::atk::s: :df::atk::s: :qcf::h:~:l: xx :qcf::atk::atk: is the easiest version against all characters.

After the first :qcf::h:~:l: you can do :qcf::uf::s: xx :qcb::atk::atk: :qcf::uf::h: :df::atk::s: :db::atk::s: :qcf::h:~:l: xx :qcf::atk::atk: for two supers.

Corner Combo

c. :l::m::h:( :s: :qcf::uf::h:~:l: OR :qcf::h:~:l: OR :qcf::l: * ) :qcf::uf::s: s.:m::h: :s: :qcf::uf::h:~:l: OR :qcf::h:~:l: *) Backdash :qcf::uf::m: falling :s: :f::atk::s: :df::atk::s: :qcf::h:~:l: :qcf::atk::atk:

Areas marked * are character specific. Most characters you can launch and TK vertical grapple, some you have to go right off c.:h:, and a few you're forced to use horizontal grapple.
    uMvC3:
    Spencer/Taskmaster/Sentinel (Team Bionic Assault)
    Zero/Dante/Doom(Team Annoying Hitboxes)
    Chun-Li/Dante/Iron man (Team Can I haz execution? 2.0)
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 23,967 mod
    As everyone has stated, do CMVs. However, what you need to develop now is the ability to find understand the engine and its limitations and loopholds to find creative combos.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

• NickRocksNickRocks On the west side I'm screaming FUCK KD Joined: Posts: 14,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im the complete opposite, i love pwning people with as little effort as possible, makes me feel more manly