Option to force standard colours on characters?

VictronizorVictronizor Joined: Posts: 7
Like many of you I gave up on this game, but the new update made me think about picking it up again. My main reason for dropping it was that I couldn't stand the aesthetics of the game. The music is terrible, but at least I can turn that off. However, what annoys me the most are all these horrible color combinations that people dream up for their characters online, turning the entire thing into something that looks like a crayon contest for retarded kids. Is there some way to force the default color combinations for characters? If there isn't, there should be!

Comments

• SUPARNOVAXSUPARNOVAX Based Nana Joined: Posts: 5,227
    They're toning down the gem glows but they haven't gotten rid of the glows. Nobody really uses them online so it's quite rare to see it nowadays.
    My FG mains: Bruce Lee clones and Hot Blondes.
    "Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as reality. To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary, and its punishment is but an urge for me to greater effort to achieve my goal. Defeat simply tells me that something is wrong in my doing; it is a path leading to success and truth." ~ Bruce Lee
  • Miguel RossingtonMiguel Rossington Dedicated Nina Williams Player Joined: Posts: 290
    Glow was never a problemo for me. Never even noticed it.
    PSN:Xx_Martin279_xX
    SFxT Main: Nina x Heihachi(Learning other females, Heihachi is enough "Man" for me)
    SFIV:AE: Rose
    Persona 4 Arena: Mitsuru
  • RugalitarianRugalitarian B-tier for Beautiful Joined: Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭
    They needed to get rid of those dumbass glowing colors. Fighting an all pink glowing Rufus makes me want to puke all over my TV.
    all chun liz moevs go thru vegz
  • thecapsaicinkidthecapsaicinkid drops combo, pretends it's a reset Joined: Posts: 991
    I posted about this numerous times and tweeted to CapcomDawg. Capcom are aware of this so we may see an option in the new patch. But yeah, I can't stand all the obnoxious colour edits online, I know it sounds petty but it really does drop my enjoyment of the game. It looks hideous.
    Fighting game player, coder, chilli lover, ruffian.
  • silphsilph SFxT Defense Force Joined: Posts: 262
    Neon colors and glass textures should go. I see no problem otherwise.
    SF4: Akuma, Ibuki, Bison, Dudley
    SFxT: Ryu x Ibuki
    SF3S: Dudley

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • SongiSongi Raw launcher warrior! Joined: Posts: 1,334
    I want to keep my neon colors thank you. :oops:
    SFxT: Christie/Xiaoyu subs: Lili or Asuka
    TTT2: Xiaoyu / Lili , Jun / Asuka Learning: Anna
    PSN: Songi_Legaia
    http://rawtag.blogspot.com/
  • thecapsaicinkidthecapsaicinkid drops combo, pretends it's a reset Joined: Posts: 991
    It'd still be full of uglyness, all black/white characters etc. This needs to switchable. It's not fair to make the game look like shit for people that despise these customisations.
  • Miguel RossingtonMiguel Rossington Dedicated Nina Williams Player Joined: Posts: 290
    Played a black Sakura today. May sound racist, but black Sakuras are hideous...
    PSN:Xx_Martin279_xX
    SFxT Main: Nina x Heihachi(Learning other females, Heihachi is enough "Man" for me)
    SFIV:AE: Rose
    Persona 4 Arena: Mitsuru
  • rokninroknin Keeps Trying Joined: Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that I'm not against forcing standard colors, but I find it pretty hilarious that now all of a sudden custom colors are a horrible idea.

OF COURSE if you give people the option they're going to make dumb colors. If you give people the option to do obnoxious shit, they will do obnoxious shit. :rofl:

Anyway, outside of the radioactive colors and people who just have to have their "shadow" characters, I don't find custom colors offensive. For those that do, it would be nice to have the option to force standard colors.
    Living Lazy since the late 80's
    SFxT Mains - Cammy x Elena x Juri
    SFxT fun times - Nina, Julia, Law, Lili, Poison, Marduk. Learning Chun, Lars and Alisa currently
    youtube | soundcloud | dA
    3DS: 1375 -7203 - 0933
  • silphsilph SFxT Defense Force Joined: Posts: 262
    Played a black Sakura today. May sound racist, but black Sakuras are hideous...
    Black Chun-Li is more jarring to me. Just wait until there's a caucasian skin color option. I can see it now. White Balrog will look immorally wrong. Worse than that might be white Dudley.
    SF4: Akuma, Ibuki, Bison, Dudley
    SFxT: Ryu x Ibuki
    SF3S: Dudley

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • AquasharkAquashark Mekong Delta AirRaid Joined: Posts: 1,366
    any developer with common sense would implement an option to turn these off

hopefully on PC i can force the default colors with a mod
    hello friends, my name is Drago Umeharevich from CrossCounter Balkans
  • Shooting Star RockmanShooting Star Rockman Jaded Joined: Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Black Chun-Li is more jarring to me. Just wait until there's a caucasian skin color option. I can see it now. White Balrog will look immorally wrong. Worse than that might be white Dudley.

Like this?

tumblr_m930hs7g371rp76vho2_1280.jpg
  • zUkUuzUkUu Theory Pro Joined: Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭
    Like this?
    That's the bastard child of Dudley x Balrog.

<3 Sir Armstrong
    我道
  • Cody&Guy18Cody&amp;Guy18 Joined: Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually waiting for a white skin colour, so I can complete my Dudley Eagle custom colour load-out. 8-)

On topic: yes, an option should be there.
    SSFIV AE: T. Hawk / SFIII3S: Urien - Alex - Hugo / KOFXIII: Benimaru - Kyo - Terry - Ash (WIP)
    Tekken 6: Nina - Leo - Lili / SFxT: Law - Cody (Jack, Hugo) / DOA5: Leifang - Mila (WIP).
    That's the bastard child of Dudley x Balrog.

<3 Sir Armstrong

Quoted because hell yes Armstrong is awesome.
    SFxT fun times - Nina, Julia, Law, Lili, Poison, Marduk. Learning Chun, Lars and Alisa currently
    Stop asking for more hideousness you myopic gimps >:(

Nerf this shit Capcom.
  • MrCamMrCam Fighting Games are Fun Joined: Posts: 117
    I don't mind the custom colors as long as they are'nt the glowing neon ones. Other than the colors I don't really think the game is that bad.
    Hey, people begged and pleaded for custom colors. But if you do that, you better prepare for the other side of it:
    Spoiler:

People either get custom tools and deal with the... weirdness and insanity of others, or don't get custom tools, period.

That said though, again - having the ability to force standard colors on my side of things is fine by me if it's possible. :tup:
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Got ripped in 2 weeks thanks to the Master Emerald Joined: Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want colors that make my character look like they came from manga. Get on this shit Capcom.
  • VictronizorVictronizor Joined: Posts: 7
    I tried playing this game again last night. I actually quite like many aspects of it, but then I go online and nobody has any sense of what colors go together. It's really ruining my enjoyment of the game. I think the way they did it in Sf4 was perfect. Lots of options, but still locked into tasteful color schemes. Sometimes giving a bunch of people with terrible taste all that freedom is not the best idea. And honestly, does it really matter to my opponent how I percieve the game? No. This option needs to be implemented.
    I want colors that make my character look like they came from manga. Get on this shit Capcom.
    you mean black, gray and white? : D
    我道
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Got ripped in 2 weeks thanks to the Master Emerald Joined: Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you mean black, gray and white? : D

I was thinking like ones Arc Systems used in Blazblue and P4A. The palette on the down 4th to the left
    Spoiler:
  • Fergus2k8Fergus2k8 Let's Rock! Joined: Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭
    If it's an option, then sure why not?
    SFIV - Rose/Sakura | SFxT - Sakura/Asuka | TTT2 - Asuka/Miharu
    Injustice - Harley Quinn | UMVC3 - Chris/Hsien/Sentinel
    KoF XIII - Athena/Kula/Yuri
  • Hyun SaiHyun Sai Joined: Posts: 360
    The problem is not really that custom colors are a bad idea in general. The problem is that in this game some are atrocious. Custom colors in other games didn't hurt my eyes like that.
    The problem is not really that custom colors are a bad idea in general. The problem is that in this game some are atrocious. Custom colors in other games didn't hurt my eyes like that.

True. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with the neon colors (edit: I guess it's cool in theory). On a piece of clothing or lips or shoes? Fine.

Neon skin?

tumblr_luye32BWbe1r21ri3.gif
    I was thinking like ones Arc Systems used in Blazblue and P4A. The palette on the down 4th to the left
    Spoiler:
    "manga" usually refers to gray scale. what you probably mean is "anime". you know, all dem colooooorz. that's what I hinted at x)
    I always hated the EX colors. I'd love to see a 2d fighter with the customization of Tekken. tho would be too much work I guess =/
    我道
    "manga" usually refers to gray scale. what you probably mean is "anime". you know, all dem colooooorz. that's what I hinted at x)
    I always hated the EX colors. I'd love to see a 2d fighter with the customization of Tekken. tho would be too much work I guess =/

That would be awesome, but yeah... a hell of a lot of work. That's strictly the benefit of 3D in a 2D plane - lost of costume options.

That said, KoF XIII had a really nice way of handling that (making each section of the costume changeable). Of course then the coloring process becomes tedious, but still a very versatile edit option.
  • SSblankaSSblanka Joined: Posts: 668
    It'd still be full of uglyness, all black/white characters etc. This needs to switchable. It's not fair to make the game look like shit for people that despise these customisations.

it's not fair for people that like these custom colorz. neon/glow ftw
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD R-Tyme Entertainment Joined: Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭
    While neon skin is jarring (particularly on larger characters like Kuma and Hugo), I don't have this overblown 'puke on my TV' reaction you guys have. It's just visually unappealing but not some objectively unacceptable thing some of you make it out to be (I mean, the people rocking these whacky schemes seem to get by just fine). I use the neon colors in small doses (certain armor pieces and such).

I have 'ethnic variations' of certain characters simply for lulz and curiosity (black Sagat which actually fits well, black Xiaoyu, latina Cammy, etc). And even if I didn't, I honestly find some of the comments about what skin color a character 'should' have kinda uncomfortable. I'm honestly not trying to pull that card but it just came to mind when I read those comments.

And as another poster said it is true that with a degree of freedom in customization comes crazy permutations. Colors that don't match (subjective but jarring to people with eyes for that), neon skin trolling (an argument I can understand but without over dramatization), jet black/ghost white skin, and so on. Color edit is something we all garnered for since the days when SNK were the only ones doing it for fighters. And even then we've seen wacky stuff (naked Mai in CvS2 online). With that feature comes the circus, a double edged sword we have to square with.

Though I do think an option to keep default colors when playing online wouldn't hurt anybody. Options are good.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD
    SFxT: Asuka(m), Christie(m), Cammy, Jin, Lei, Sakura, Ken, Nina
    SCV: Maxi(m), Lexia, Siegfried, Mitsurugi
    DOA5U: Mila(m), Ayane, Sarah, Momiji
    KI: Orchid(m), Fulgore
    BB:CS: Noel(m), Ragna

http://kalyxtriad.wordpress.com/
    While neon skin is jarring (particularly on larger characters like Kuma and Hugo), I don't have this overblown 'puke on my TV' reaction you guys have. It's just visually unappealing but not some objectively unacceptable thing some of you make it out to be (I mean, the people rocking these whacky schemes seem to get by just fine). I use the neon colors in small doses (certain armor pieces and such).

Pieces here and there, maybe some glowing skin in doses? That's fine, I do that too. I still like my Gold Law with the aqua-glow dragon print. But the problem with full neon colored everything that some people like to troll with (neon yellow skin with neon pink and green and blue clothing that becomes so bright you yourself can't even tell what your character is doing) is that it gets to the point where visually it's even difficult to tell where their limbs are at, especially once the gem glows hit.

I do think this will be toned down in 2013 with the new, more subtle gem glow, though. If it is, I can deal with it.

As far as the color preferences go for skin... Ehhhhh that's a personal thing. I'm personally not fond of running into Chun Li with obsidian skin and pink lips, creativity rights be damned.

>________>

I like my brown-skin Juri though. <3
  • HodelinoHodelino Never give up! Learn from your faults! Joined: Posts: 62
    But...But i love my Jin with 3 Neon colors on his alternate costume! Looks like he is still stuck in the 60s. I call it LSD-Jin! But usually i use my Cerulian/dark Red combination with white details for my team. I don't care about neon colors with the exception of neon yellow body Zangief!
    This thread is now all about Pikachu, because everyone knows he's just so fcking adorable
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 9,461 ✭✭✭✭
    This crap wouldn't happen if they'd just given us the standard 2 choices: a color ratio meter like in cvs or a color graph like in ttt2...but NOOOOO, they had to SELL us colors, and here we are.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CVS2 EO 10 more years of hawaiian throw up colored rolentos and bisons.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel that it needs the same thing that I feel any multiplayer game with customization options should have: the ability to disable them client side. That way if someone likes a specific color scheme for their character they get to see it while they play, while the person on the other side doesn't have to see it if they don't want to.

Both sides of the issue get what they want. The fans of customization can show off their color schemes to everyone (most people wont both disabling the customization display and even if they did you wouldn't know since it's only for their view of the game.) and people who prefer the standard display don't have to deal with the horrors of a tag team of hot pink with green skin angel Rufus teamed up with Neon Blue and Metal Yellow Ganryu Hugo.

If you are playing on the same system, then obviously you have the option of turning to the person using the obnoxious colors and making them switch / punching them in the throat.
    This crap wouldn't happen if they'd just given us the standard 2 choices: a color ratio meter like in cvs or a color graph like in ttt2...but NOOOOO, they had to SELL us colors, and here we are.

Colors are free.
    You know that I'm a Chun Li player? Don't give me any Ideas xD!

Chocolate Chun-Li is nice. <3
  • Will_DieselWill_Diesel Noble Savage of the inner city's darkest quarters. Joined: Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

There isn't? They have a high yellow skin option and they have different shades of darker skin but I'm quite sure there's an option for the caucasian persuasion.

Gonna go check right nao!!!
    Liberalism is a mental disease.
  • HodelinoHodelino Never give up! Learn from your faults! Joined: Posts: 62
    Still waiting for Rainbow Color DLC!!
    This thread is now all about Pikachu, because everyone knows he's just so fcking adorable
    There isn't? They have a high yellow skin option and they have different shades of darker skin but I'm quite sure there's an option for the caucasian persuasion.

Gonna go check right nao!!!

Not that I've seen, but I might be wrong.

Actually now that I think about it, the only black character I play in this game is Elena. O____O

Not that that's a bad thing.
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 9,461 ✭✭✭✭
    Colors are free.

Oh...*goes to download colors*...I thought they were still doing the SF4 thing.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
    Oh...*goes to download colors*...I thought they were still doing the SF4 thing.

Wait... colors or costumes? Colors are free, costumes (Swap and Alternate) cost.
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD R-Tyme Entertainment Joined: Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭
    Kinda blows my mind somebody didn't know the colors were free at this point. Perhaps the stupid delivery method is to blame (and I still don't get the appeal).
    XBL: Kalyx triaD
    SFxT: Asuka(m), Christie(m), Cammy, Jin, Lei, Sakura, Ken, Nina
    SCV: Maxi(m), Lexia, Siegfried, Mitsurugi
    DOA5U: Mila(m), Ayane, Sarah, Momiji
    KI: Orchid(m), Fulgore
    BB:CS: Noel(m), Ragna

http://kalyxtriad.wordpress.com/
    Agreed... I've said that from the start - "releasing" colors is a pretty meh marketing strategy, even if its free.

A lot of that stuff should have just been unlockables.
  • Officer BisonOfficer Bison Joined: Posts: 1
    I made bison's outfit blue so he looks like a cop