Thoughts on upcoming Infinites? Is it worth learning? Share them here.

PrototypeKHPrototypeKH Joined: Posts: 34
To be made clear, I created this thread with the intention of people debating their thoughts on infinites, NOT TO POST INFINITE "HELP" or "HOW TO's!"

Now then, my stand on the subject matter:

I can only see two good things happening by learning infinites, that is: 1) To gain meter and 2) To kill the time. These two things are crucial... on rare occasions; First, "meter gaining via infinites." Nobody is really ever playing worrying they won't gain enough meter (unless you're a phoenix player). Overall, I see infinites as "not worth it." The risk is very high (dropping the combo) and low reward (usually low damage). Again, it COULD be a good thing, if you have a character like Phoenix, and need the meter, I'd highly suggest you learn infinites. But if you don't use Phoenix, then what's the point really? To cause hype? Sure. But are you willing to risk a tournament match for some hype? To me, it seems that in UMVC3, it is very easy to gain meter, excluding characters like Sentinel and Hulk (but even then, you'll build meter with your other characters with time.)

Now in terms of "killing time," nobody really intends to win via TIME OUT until it reaches < 30 seconds; then the whole game plan changes for the two players. At this point, if you have two characters and you're down in terms of health at the moment, why not do infinites? Again, same points as stated earlier, high risk, low reward. Also, let's not forget, you have to perform a TAC to initiate the infinite, is that risk itself worth it? Being countered and opened up?

Summary: Infinites are not worth performing in a match, although I don't see the harm in "learning it." If you manage to perfect the execution of infinites with tournament nerves riding on your back, then I say why not? But do not forget the aforementioned risks. Overall, I believe the Risks greatly outweigh the Rewards.
WHAT DOES THE FGC THINK?

Comments

• DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We already have an infinite thread but...that thread is kinda dead so I guess this can work.

I mean I think they're practical enough. Marlin Pie does crazy ass moonwalk elbow TAC with Doom that still sometimes don't even kill people that require more execution than his infinite. I won at least 2 of my tournament matches the last major I went to with Doom's infinite. Killed a not super scary point character with the infinite...killed the next character and still had 4 meters left over for the anchor. The anchor pretty much couldn't touch my Viper cuz she was sitting on 4 ex seismos.

I was playing against a guy at SB during casuals who pretty much never dropped Iron Man's infinite the entire time we were playing.

Doom's corner infinites at least don't require that much execution and can kill before more than 10 or 15 real time seconds go by. Sometimes less if they're almost dead by the time you put them in the infinite.

The practicality of the infinites pretty much comes down to which kills the fastest with the least execution.

Most practical infinites so far

1. Doom = Most practical so far as far as the corner is concerned. Has corner infinites that are easy enough to do reliably in a match and kill VERY quickly. Probably has the fastest killing corner infinite in the game. You won't get to more than 2 or 3 reps after a solid combo before they die unless they have a lot of health. Also has mid screen infinites that while are a bit harder give him a lot of versatility. Basically if you launch the opponent in the air anywhere, Doom can infinite them.

2. Iron Man = Pretty much second most practical infinite character in my eyes. Has even easier infinites than Doom it's just they don't kill as fast as Doom's. Still kill quickly enough and since the execution is even easier than Doom's you can't go wrong there either. Mid screen stuff is definitely easier than Doom's as well.

3. Magneto = Pretty practical infinites as far as execution. OMGitzAndre who's known for dropping combos has done a long set of reps of the infinite in tournament matches before so that's pretty much a testament to how practical his corner stuff is any way. Has practical mid screen infinite stuff as well. Another character where basically if you get launched he can put you in an infinite. Only issue is his infinite doesn't seem to kill as fast as Doom's or Iron Man's.

Then it's pretty much the rest of the characters from there. The guys above are the top 3 for practicality anywhere on the screen and ease of execution in the corner. It's really only a matter of time before infinites become regular in tourney from these 3 characters.

The only issue of course being that the infinites in this game are still a bit weak compared to other fighting games because you can guess your way out of them ala Killer Instinct 1. Making it so there's no absolutely guaranteed way to land them. Which means against scary point characters you'll want to not chance the infinite to get reset unless you're picking a super lame out team where you can go back to zoning if you get broken.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • masonmason Joined: Posts: 674 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much what Devil Jin said.

Also Nova infinite (and Sentinel if you get away with a down TAC, since the other ones are height specific and really inconsistent to start imo) are quite easy to pull off. I'm pretty sure all 3 directions with Trish aren't too execution heavy either, she's just no that common of a character
    Laughter 7: Well, this is strange. At the GodsGarden that just went down, Momochi picked Dhalsim (beat Daigo 10-8 too!). Is this mofo ever coming back to Gouki?!
  • GordonsBeardGordonsBeard QCF+P Bad Stoned Joined: Posts: 379
    In one way I like that it forces people to be more aware of a TAC, "we" (Marvel players in the tourney scenes, not me!) have been looking down on the TAC for too long because it's a "scrubby tactic". With the influx of infinites we have seen more people breaking TACs, and because of that - more people stepping up their general usage of the TAC.
  • BonuspokusBonuspokus My head's on fire Joined: Posts: 315
    I can pull the infinites from Trish and Amaterasu from any direction all the time, Sentinel is easy as hell. DevilJin already covered other infinites, I have a friend that uses Thor and he can do the infinite without any problems.

Many infinites are practical, I don't understand why people aren't willing to learn them, totally worth in my opinion.

And btw, they aren't high risk, dropping the combo isn't exactly high risk because the enemy won't be able to punish you and you should only TAC after a long combo in order to get the most out of it just in case you miss it.

Some people will argue that infinites aren't worth it because the enemy gets meter as well but that is just dumb, at any point at any match your opponent will build meter with your attacks. If you use an infinite against them, you are getting meter a lot faster than them and you are preventing them from playing.

You have a low risk, high reward option that you should be using until Capcom fix it.
  • The SavageThe Savage Joined: Posts: 182
    I was playing against a guy at SB during casuals who pretty much never dropped Iron Man's infinite the entire time we were playing.
    Josh360 lives????
  • TetsuroTetsuro Joined: Posts: 483 ✭✭✭
    I agree with devil jin for the most part in regards to their practicality. Unfortunately I also feel like TAC infinites are a detriment to competitive play, and will only hurt the game's longevity. Meter management in this game was already practically non existent, but the hugely meter positive TOD combos TACs bring make the game much less interesting as a whole.
    If we want broken things to get fixed, we need to start abusing them.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with devil jin for the most part in regards to their practicality. Unfortunately I also feel like TAC infinites are a detriment to competitive play, and will only hurt the game's longevity. Meter management in this game was already practically non existent, but the hugely meter positive TOD combos TACs bring make the game much less interesting as a whole.

It really depends on how creative people wanna get with it. Pretty much all Marvel games have been about always having some way to get a shit ton of meter for just doing shit. Granted the install supers in this game are some of the most powerful any Marvel game has ever had...but it doesn't really change the mentality you have to go in with the game. Whoever dies first is going to have problems.

Long as people still drop combos and still play teams that make if difficult to land clean hits, the neutral will still be the most interesting part of the game. Shits still gonna go down and people will get hype and top players will still win despite how cheap the game gets.

If we want broken things to get fixed, we need to start abusing them.

If "broken" things were going to get fixed...lightning loop would have gotten patched a long time ago. We'll be abusing shit but its not getting fixed.
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
    If "broken" things were going to get fixed...lightning loop would have gotten patched a long time ago. We'll be abusing shit but its not getting fixed.
    I'm glad that Capcom didn't fix anything yet, I want them to take their time so that we can find more stuff like Nova's DHC glitch.

It's funny that you pretend to believe in Capcom's words after what they did with Arcade Edition. Niitsuma taking notes during Evo? I guess he just likes to write in his diary during the biggest FG tournament in the world.

You know deep inside your soul that a new version is coming, you are just in denial.
    I'm glad that Capcom didn't fix anything yet, I want them to take their time so that we can find more stuff like Nova's DHC glitch.

It's funny that you pretend to believe in Capcom's words after what they did with Arcade Edition. Niitsuma taking notes during Evo? I guess he just likes to write in his diary during the biggest FG tournament in the world.

You know deep inside your soul that a new version is coming, you are just in denial.

They're definitely not going to quick patch anything. If they were they would have done it long ago. Capcom does say things and then come around, but its been way too long. There's no pretending...they're just not going to do it after closing down support for AE and mainly focusing their efforts on making sure XTekken sells 4 more copies with their free update.

Whatever Niitsuma is taking notes for revolves around a new game he'll be working on in the future. Certainly not this one.

Capcom does say things and then come around, but its been way too long.
    Less than a year? I'd rather wait to get a better product with more than 12 extra characters.

I still feel like this game is lacking, Capcom needs time.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX Flawless Prosecutor. Joined: Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of infinites I would love to see someone pull Felicia's Xfactor cat spike infinite consistently all the way into a kill. I sure as fuck can't do it past 6 hits.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • ELSALVADORPOWER9001ELSALVADORPOWER9001 GRACIS DIOS BASADO Joined: Posts: 217
    infinites were never about damage lol
    BEST VENOM ON PSN
    Less than a year? I'd rather wait to get a better product with more than 12 extra characters.

I still feel like this game is lacking, Capcom needs time.

I mean the game needed tweaking still out the gate. XF2 and 3 still too strong, characters still have shit that should have been patched from Vanilla (overpowered install supers, skewed damage scaling per character), people won't be happy until TAC's are basically removed from the game etc. Capcom had a lot to fix from a long time ago so if they didn't fix it then...I don't see them being bothered now.

The only thing left to do now is the same thing they did for 10 years...break the game as wide open as possible and have fun doing it. Least I am.

Xmoney and DS4 are going to be their main focuses now. They're not going to spend time on shit they're not gonna profit from.

• God's BeardGod's Beard Tippin'SticksSince96 Joined: Posts: 231
    "Summary: Infinites are not worth performing in a match, although I don't see the harm in "learning it." If you manage to perfect the execution of infinites with tournament nerves riding on your back, then I say why not? But do not forget the aforementioned risks. Overall, I believe the Risks greatly outweigh the Rewards."

Is killing 3 characters off a TAC worth it?
    Ultimate: Strider/X-23/Magneto,
    JJBA: Dio Brando, VF5: Jacky, P4A: Mitsuru
    Speaking of infinites I would love to see someone pull Felicia's Xfactor cat spike infinite consistently all the way into a kill. I sure as fuck can't do it past 6 hits.

It's not that hard. You can watch vids of my bro doing it pretty regularly. He used to do one frame links into shosho with Sakura in CVS2 so it's pretty much just doing that except easier.

Yeah in theory X-23 anchor teams will be the most powerful TAC infinite based teams, but at best they're like a juiced up Frank West team. Land the first hit, could probably win the match already. If your point character gets killed, the team becomes really gimped with the second character coming in without an assist. Might as well just have a character that if they survive the incoming mix up has an actual real assist backing them up or just some typical dark anchor.
  • PrototypeKHPrototypeKH Joined: Posts: 34
    Interesting takes on the TAC-Infinites so far. I like what I'm reading in this thread. Keep the posts comin' fellas!
  • masonmason Joined: Posts: 674 ✭✭✭
    You can put X-23 in the middle, then you just need your bnb to otg with her then like H into launch, air H into TAC which will go to your third character then you can TAC infinite and run the plan. Also means if your point character dies, X-23 comes in and you can still get the gameplan working.
    I ran Zero, X-23, Mags for a bit when the infinites were first found and basically I was trying to land a random hit with zero and then corner carry and use X-23 plus the buster TAC glitch to get a down TAC (mixing it up with straight up down TAC if they were waiting) killing with Mags infinite and then winning the game with X-23. I was only confident with Mags' down TAC infinite at the time which is why I had to do it like that and I needed mags on hypergrav assist or else I couldn't relaunch with X-23 (though alot of people don't know that she can combo off of dirt nap in the corner with dash jab into whatever).

Team was fun for the few casuals I played it in, got the gameplan working like 2 or 3 times though lol
    Laughter 7: Well, this is strange. At the GodsGarden that just went down, Momochi picked Dhalsim (beat Daigo 10-8 too!). Is this mofo ever coming back to Gouki?!
  • God's BeardGod's Beard Tippin'SticksSince96 Joined: Posts: 231
    Yeah, you can use level 1 X-factor after the dirt nap to build a couple bars and kill most characters without spending extra meter, then dirt nap again(which still has level 1 x-factor) and kill their anchor with a DHC from the extra meter.
    Ultimate: Strider/X-23/Magneto,
    JJBA: Dio Brando, VF5: Jacky, P4A: Mitsuru
    Yeah using X23 during a combo to force a TAC to another character sounds smart. Gives better team construction and doesn't leave the 2nd point character without an assist if they land safely after Zero dies.

• d3vd3v Stayin' tore 4 lyf. Joined: Posts: 25,056 mod