What would we want in a Persona 4A sequel?

wiredgodwiredgod Joined: Posts: 461
Persona 4 Arena has sold well: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/19/persona-4-arena-sales-surpassed-expectations-golden-sales-also-strong/

It seems like a good bet that we'll see another Persona fighting game. What are some changes we'd like to see?
PSN: wiredgod
BB: Carl
P4A: Teddie / Shadow Labrys
Skullgirls: Peacock / PW / Filia

Comments

• RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,873
    I want Green Block/Pushblock, and I want to play as Kou from the Basketball Club and also Yukari from Persona 3.
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • wiredgodwiredgod Joined: Posts: 461
    I'd like some modification of the auto-combo system, but I'm not sure what that would be. Being able to select a character and then a persona separately would also be cool.
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,873
    I'd like some modification of the auto-combo system, but I'm not sure what that would be. Being able to select a character and then a persona separately would also be cool.

I like the tweeking of the auto-combo system idea, maybe make it more of a chain/magic series idea as opposed to straight out combo with a special cancel to super cancel.

Only the Protagonist in the game gets to choose his Persona, so if they decided to make up a bullshit story I might be down for it, although I don't think the game created each persona moveset specifically for its unique character, as it could lead to imbalance and top tier personas.
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
    Also, a new voice actor for Teddie. His English voice is intolerable.
  • SubjectiveSubjective Joined: Posts: 171
    The Japanese one is a bit better. He still yells shit like "SHADOOBIE!" though.

Although the story mode was a huge draw for the game, making P4A2 non-canon would be fun. They could add many characters (canonically dead or alive) and the Persona select mechanic
  • ArachnofiendArachnofiend Double Uzis and a Wink Joined: Posts: 2,058
    This is really more an issue with the character than the acting. Teddie is a dumb, annoying piece of shit so he is voiced as a dumb, annoying piece of shit.
    Skullgirls: Peacock/Parasoul Marvel 2: BB Hood/Juggernaut/Ruby Heart Marvel 3: Tron/Strange/Skrull BlazBlue CSE: Hazama Vampire Savior: BB Hood
  • Optimus CackOptimus Cack yes man kablam Joined: Posts: 269
    What I really would love to be in a sequel would be characters from other Megami Tensei series á la KoF dream match. Aleph, the Demi-Fiend, Tadano (Demonica suit), the works.
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,809
    More normals
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
  • PinoyPrydePinoyPryde Rhythmic Button Mashing Joined: Posts: 1,181
    Other than more characters I'd like to see story mode branch to have multiple endings like blazblue. That and have more fights so that there are not 6 or so fights per 8 hours of dialogue.
    If they were to implement the ability to choose personas, why not go all out and make a fusion mechanic similar to persona fusion where you can inherit skills from the fused personas which could be gained through specific (but manageable) requirements.
    Also more modes wouldn't hurt too.
    I mash buttons and stomp my feet to music

Steam ID/PSN: ArcadeStatic
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,662
    A revised story mode. For a story mode that's 40+ hours it's presentation being static imaginary and walls of text is unacceptable. They could have at least used the sprites to act out the scenes.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    A revised story mode. For a story mode that's 40+ hours it's presentation being static imaginary and walls of text is unacceptable. They could have at least used the sprites to act out the scenes.

Playing through story mode was definitely too much of a grind. If there's a story mode next time they should have characters viewing entirely different events, not just the same set of events through different eyes.
    Oh, I would also love it if instant block were gone in favor of a Skullgirls-esque push block.
    Other than more characters I'd like to see story mode branch to have multiple endings like blazblue. That and have more fights so that there are not 6 or so fights per 8 hours of dialogue.
    If they were to implement the ability to choose personas, why not go all out and make a fusion mechanic similar to persona fusion where you can inherit skills from the fused personas which could be gained through specific (but manageable) requirements.
    Also more modes wouldn't hurt too.

No no no. No. No level-up or customization mechanics, at the very least not for player vs player.
    A revised story mode. For a story mode that's 40+ hours it's presentation being static imaginary and walls of text is unacceptable.

You mean like an SMT game?
  • PinoyPrydePinoyPryde Rhythmic Button Mashing Joined: Posts: 1,181
    No no no. No. No level-up or customization mechanics, at the very least not for player vs player.
    Maybe a side mode? Then again the more I think about it the idea of anyone else using multiple personas wouldn't be canon unless you have persona 1 and 2 characters.

Also didn't they release this game without the SMT title?
    I mash buttons and stomp my feet to music

Steam ID/PSN: ArcadeStatic
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,662

You mean like an SMT game?

The scenes were acted out in the background in Persona 3 and 4. It more than just imaginary and text
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • grandabxgrandabx Flameater Joined: Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    1. pushblock that requires super meter to use.

2. the ability to PICK a persona. it gives it more of that rpg feel and matches become even more varied and dynamic.

3. a deeper more specialized tutorial mode(virtua fighter 4). one that explains a character's purpose. strange that blazblue has it, but this doesn't.

4. redesigning of mitsuru, yu, chie and aigis. NO character should be an all-around fighter.
    I remember when people thought Bison doing the psycho crusher back and forth across the screen in SF:CE was cheap.
    GGXX: As long as I apply myself, I can win with anyone.
  • OnirosOniros Joined: Posts: 108
    Redesigning of mitsuru, yu, chie and aigis. NO character should be an all-around fighter.
    Errr Chie doesn't belong here. Her range is way too short to be an all-around fighter.

IMO rather than another Persona fighter. I wasn't character DLC asap dammit.
    P4A: Chie/GG: Jam/VSav: Q-Bee
    Rival Schools needs to come back!
  • PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    More normals
    True dat.

I hate how the persona moves consists of.... nothing...
    Honestly, why not have A, B, C set for character normals, and D do all the persona stuff. The persona themselves were so bare bones, having all their actions on 1 button is completely possible. C could be a various of extra normals for the characters.
    All I do is draw naked birds all day.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • Lord KnightLord Knight MONEY. WOMEN. POWER. Joined: Posts: 242
    really the only char id want to see changed is naoto, everyone else is ok

more persona moves that acted independently of the character would be cool too (like narukami 5D followup)
    The game already has a number of GTFO me options in their DP and bursts. Then the game also gives you frame advantage for timely blocking. I think adding push block might be overdoing it.

I get really salty playing against Yu's online when I drop Shabrys combos because of a small amount of lag. Then Yu gets an easy punish any new player can execute by using his slide into his super, taking off a third of my life. Uggghhh
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,107
    Meh, it's bear-able. -_-

RE: Choosing character and Persona separately

I am not in favor of that because if I wanted that I'd play Arcana Heart instead of P4A. That said I think something to differentiate the Personas more might be interesting. Some ideas on that:

1) Varied number of Persona cards before Persona break occurs.

2) Different damage levels in order to break a card. Maybe (building off of #1) your Persona has only three cards but requires an attack to do at least 800 damage in order to break a card while another Persona has 6 cards but any amount of damage will break one.

3) Status changes that vary with number of cards remaining. This would not necessarily be simply a power boost. Could be something like Elizabeths DP. Could be a one time thing per card broken; i.e. next attack that the Persona does will do +25% damage and inflict poison (or something like that) if it hits.

4) Personas could have certain abilities that are only accessible when they're fully stocked.

5) "Persona Burst" or "Persona Cancel". Burst or Rapid Cancel accessible only if you have full Persona cards stocked to perform their respective actions . Consumes all Persona cards and would (obviously) have a much longer cool-down time than a normal Persona Break.

This is hardly a comprehensive list of what could be done with Personas. I just think that with regards to differentiating the Personas there is a ton of design room left.
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,947
    I'd simply want more characters and stages.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2
    Meh, it's bear-able. -_-

RE: Choosing character and Persona separately

I am not in favor of that because if I wanted that I'd play Arcana Heart instead of P4A. That said I think something to differentiate the Personas more might be interesting. Some ideas on that:

1) Varied number of Persona cards before Persona break occurs.

2) Different damage levels in order to break a card. Maybe (building off of #1) your Persona has only three cards but requires an attack to do at least 800 damage in order to break a card while another Persona has 6 cards but any amount of damage will break one.

3) Status changes that vary with number of cards remaining. This would not necessarily be simply a power boost. Could be something like Elizabeths DP. Could be a one time thing per card broken; i.e. next attack that the Persona does will do +25% damage and inflict poison (or something like that) if it hits.

4) Personas could have certain abilities that are only accessible when they're fully stocked.

5) "Persona Burst" or "Persona Cancel". Burst or Rapid Cancel accessible only if you have full Persona cards stocked to perform their respective actions . Consumes all Persona cards and would (obviously) have a much longer cool-down time than a normal Persona Break.

This is hardly a comprehensive list of what could be done with Personas. I just think that with regards to differentiating the Personas there is a ton of design room left.

Some interesting ideas here. I especially like 1 and 4
  • SUPARNOVAXSUPARNOVAX 必殺技 Joined: Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Characters, stages, maybe new supers?

I wouldn't mind a new normal or two for everyone either. But the button scheme and commands are kind of strict. New specials and supers would be the best approach.
    "Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as reality. To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary, and its punishment is but an urge for me to greater effort to achieve my goal. Defeat simply tells me that something is wrong in my doing; it is a path leading to success and truth." ~ Bruce Lee
  • IsshunSengekiIsshunSengeki #HAMLORD Joined: Posts: 163
    The only change I want is for the game to actually get released on time in Europe.
    PSN: IsshunSengeki
    KOF XIII: Saiki/K'/Shen | BBCP: Azrael/Kagura
  • b0ltb0lt Joined: Posts: 3
    8RtoN.png
  • YannickYannick Max Range Panta Rhei Joined: Posts: 4,467
    :eek: Betty with an actual defensive option (!) would be pretty sick.
    The Sunset Studio // Destiny: Rise of Iron, Fighters, Development, Mechanics, Strategy, Media.
  • AyxAyx abusing EX upkicks Joined: Posts: 161
    I have some sick ideas:.. for Aigis.

Make Aigis:

- Have longer Orgia Gauge.
    - 300 bullets per round 100 simply isn't enough what were Arc thinking?!
    - Be able to use unlimited amount of EX Megido Kick as long as the meter is there. Needs more MAHVEL type combos mostly involving just megido kicks for beast damage.
    - Missiles cannot be interrupted once at start up frames.
    - Goddess Shield will now cause an untechable ground bounce to follow up with another Goddess Shield. Her damage output is not good enough.
    - Orgia Gauge recovers faster if you hit with an auto combo. That way her meter AND gauge can fill up max speed.

I had tons more buffs but this is definitely needed to be able to fight Mitsuru and there is NO way I can actually win without these buffs.
  • EmilEmil Joined: Posts: 4,389

Make Aigis:

- Be able to use unlimited amount of EX Megido Kick as long as the meter is there. Needs more MAHVEL type combos mostly involving just megido kicks for beast damage.
    - Goddess Shield will now cause an untechable ground bounce to follow up with another Goddess Shield. Her damage output is not good enough.
    - Orgia Gauge recovers faster if you hit with an auto combo. That way her meter AND gauge can fill up max speed.

I had tons more buffs but this is definitely needed to be able to fight Mitsuru and there is NO way I can actually win without these buffs.

What? Aigis is one of the best characters in the game...her damage, especially on megido, needs nerfing and her IAD needs to be slowed down.

Now Shadow Labrys needs some buffs...maybe the speed of her normals (her fastest normal is 7 frames startup).
    KoF98UM - EX Yama, Eiji, Orochi Yashiro | KoF2k2 - Kim, Whip, Athena, Choi |
    Kof13 - Saiki, Shen, Vice | P4U2 - Shadow Labrys, Rise | GGXrd - Bedman
  • Dollar_bill$Dollar_bill$ Joined: Posts: 111
    LOL that guy aigis must be dog shit. mitsuru worst match up is a toss up between chie or aigis. if you lose to mitsuru it's becuase you got outplayed. please go to dustloop please. and LOL @ giving aigis buffs. that was hilarious.
    LOL that guy aigis must be dog shit. mitsuru worst match up is a toss up between chie or aigis. if you lose to mitsuru it's becuase you got outplayed. please go to dustloop please. and LOL @ giving aigis buffs. that was hilarious.
    confused2.gif
  • Yuri_AcTNYuri_AcTN All the best things are collectives. Joined: Posts: 1,131
    Remove the auto combo system.
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,666
    Mitsuru is lacking. Plz buff. I don't want my opponents to play the game anymore when she lands a hit.
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala

I agree with this to a large extent. When my opponent is low on life I can simply hit confirm into A and mash it and win. Make the player input the double QCF motion to get the super move at the end. It might motivate some beginners to improve their inputs.
    I agree with this to a large extent. When my opponent is low on life I can simply hit confirm into A and mash it and win. Make the player input the double QCF motion to get the super move at the end. It might motivate some beginners to improve their inputs.

Knowledge and experience will lead to betterment. If the player can understand that, then their journey of playing fighters will be quite fruitful.
  • IAMSKINJAIAMSKINJA Joined: Posts: 30
    I would love if the next game was released in Europe.
  • IchipooIchipoo Not in front of the mirror, it's embarrassing <3 Joined: Posts: 2,532
    Hey man, I love the auto combo system. It does have its uses, especially for Naoto players. Who DOESN'T love getting an easy 26 meter?
    *insert generic shiny, glowy, and heavily photoshopped animu sig here*
    https://twitter.com/lchipoo
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,539
    For them to actually release it in Europe and Australia...
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    Hey man, I love the auto combo system. It does have its uses, especially for Naoto players. Who DOESN'T love getting an easy 26 meter?

Why yes, auto combos is quite useful for "training wheel" purposes, but it doesn't get you very far into becoming a better player. Players need to learn about timing their execution on various notations, and not just relying on one-button all the time.
    Why yes, auto combos is quite useful for "training wheel" purposes, but it doesn't get you very far into becoming a better player. Players need to learn about timing their execution on various notations, and not just relying on one-button all the time.

:eek: I can understand (well, not really to be quite honest) why you don't like certain aspects of the autocombo system, but can you deny its benefits straight up?

Free meter, free burst gauge? This isn't about execution anymore; it's about resource management. Should we forget the "well, autocombos scale any regular combo to shit" argument, as well? Autocombos are great; I think it's unfortunate that you're focusing on the idea of people who don't know quite what to do slamming their noses on the A button instead of all the practical uses of the autocombo.
    The Sunset Studio // Destiny: Rise of Iron, Fighters, Development, Mechanics, Strategy, Media.
  • The MartianThe Martian Tatsu Spam Supreme™ Joined: Posts: 12,149
    More normals
    This, and also no dial-a-combo normals

Actually I'd probably play this game if it wasn't for those
    "Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are."

Tumblr (NSFW)
    PSN: Shadaloo_Martian
    :eek: I can understand (well, not really to be quite honest) why you don't like certain aspects of the autocombo system, but can you deny its benefits straight up?

Free meter, free burst gauge? This isn't about execution anymore; it's about resource management. Should we forget the "well, autocombos scale any regular combo to shit" argument, as well? Autocombos are great; I think it's unfortunate that you're focusing on the idea of people who don't know quite what to do slamming their noses on the A button instead of all the practical uses of the autocombo.

The auto combo system indeed has it's advantages (quick meter boost, burst gauge), but that's not what I was focused on. I'm not down-playing the idea entirely, I was just stating that players need to take full advantage on all notations, and not just one-button attacks, all the time.
    The auto combo system indeed has it's advantages (quick meter boost, burst gauge), but that's not what I was focused on. I'm not down-playing the idea entirely, I was just stating that players need to take full advantage on all notations, and not just one-button attacks, all the time.

:eek: In the interest of self-determination, I think that should be left up to the player.

I think we all know one or two people who get by in a fighting game of their choice using only one or two moves. They may not win any local tournaments or anything, but they make due. How they feel they need to play the game is up to them; autocombos don't force mashing one button and while it is encouraged to use the combo for resource management, using it as a main source of damage is nowhere even near optimal...this is what is the rub that will naturally drive players to seek out more significant damage from a confirm. And if they don't, well...that's up to them. Nobody should really dictate how to play a game (in terms of universal options) as long as they're playing within the rules.
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,539
    Atlus. This man as a playable character.
    Wp05_sheep_1024x768.jpg
    Make it so.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    Atlus. This man as a playable character.
    Make it so.

That would be awesome. Have his persona be a sheep too.
  • doyoudigwormsdoyoudigworms ..... Joined: Posts: 592
    I really enjoy this game on many different levels. It feels very expansive but it's obvious that it does lack some elements that could help inherently create more longevity, experience, and fun overall. Somethings I would love to see would be:

- New Characters

Junpei, Vincent etc.

- Harder Inputs

I really like the timing and button combinations, it gives this game a unique feel and I would not change that. However, harder directional inputs would be something that would give this game a more "pro" feel. I'd like to see furious actions have DP motions and specials have different motions like half circles etc.

- More Normals

This game is really lacking in this area. Command normals can really give a nice diverse feel to the game and not make characters feel so limited. With an engine so expansive and characters sharing many universal applications it's easier to focus on the fact that they don't have more to them as characters.

- More Stages and Music

Some of the best original persona music is not in matches but only in the menus. What gives?

Other than that I would not change too much, this gave is really addicting and fun. I like it a lot.
    3S: Q / VS: Aulbath/Victor / ST: DeeJay / A2: Rose
    - Harder Inputs

I really like the timing and button combinations, it gives this game a unique feel and I would not change that. However, harder directional inputs would be something that would give this game a more "pro" feel. I'd like to see furious actions have DP motions and specials have different motions like half circles etc.

Hahahaha..."I need more complex motions to make me feel like I'm accomplishing something."
  • Grimsley-SanGrimsley-San Prince of Darkness Joined: Posts: 12
    Characters having a 2nd Instant Kill.. :3
    P4A: Teddie; BBCSE: Rachel/Carl; SCV: Alpha Patroklos;
    UMVC3: Whatever 3 characters I want to use; TTT2: Lili/Alisa; SFxT: Alisa/Lili
    PSN: Grimsley-San
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,072 mod
    Persona selection is not happening since only a few characters can do so in canon.
    Make Aigis:

Wait, you want to make a character that's arguably the best one in the game (one that has a favorable, 6:4 matchup against Mitsuru) stronger?
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • doyoudigwormsdoyoudigworms ..... Joined: Posts: 592
    Hahahaha..."I need more complex motions to make me feel like I'm accomplishing something."

Sounds silly but in a way, but the amount I've been playing this game I'd like to better my execution while I'm at it. I won't get better at lead if all I play is rhythm, yah know?
    3S: Q / VS: Aulbath/Victor / ST: DeeJay / A2: Rose
    Persona selection is not happening since only a few characters can do so in canon.

Wait, you want to make a character that's arguably the best one in the game (one that has a favorable, 6:4 matchup against Mitsuru) stronger?
    of course she's my main why wouldn't I want her to be SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS tier.