What would we want in a Persona 4A sequel?

Comments

• Yuri_AcTNYuri_AcTN All the best things are collectives. Joined: Posts: 1,165
    :eek: I can understand (well, not really to be quite honest) why you don't like certain aspects of the autocombo system, but can you deny its benefits straight up?

Free meter, free burst gauge? This isn't about execution anymore; it's about resource management. Should we forget the "well, autocombos scale any regular combo to shit" argument, as well? Autocombos are great; I think it's unfortunate that you're focusing on the idea of people who don't know quite what to do slamming their noses on the A button instead of all the practical uses of the autocombo.

The auto combo system indeed has it's advantages (quick meter boost, burst gauge), but that's not what I was focused on. I'm not down-playing the idea entirely, I was just stating that players need to take full advantage on all notations, and not just one-button attacks, all the time.
  • YannickYannick Max Range Panta Rhei Joined: Posts: 4,467
    The auto combo system indeed has it's advantages (quick meter boost, burst gauge), but that's not what I was focused on. I'm not down-playing the idea entirely, I was just stating that players need to take full advantage on all notations, and not just one-button attacks, all the time.

:eek: In the interest of self-determination, I think that should be left up to the player.

I think we all know one or two people who get by in a fighting game of their choice using only one or two moves. They may not win any local tournaments or anything, but they make due. How they feel they need to play the game is up to them; autocombos don't force mashing one button and while it is encouraged to use the combo for resource management, using it as a main source of damage is nowhere even near optimal...this is what is the rub that will naturally drive players to seek out more significant damage from a confirm. And if they don't, well...that's up to them. Nobody should really dictate how to play a game (in terms of universal options) as long as they're playing within the rules.
    The Sunset Studio // Destiny: Rise of Iron, Fighters, Development, Mechanics, Strategy, Media.
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,723
    Atlus. This man as a playable character.
    Wp05_sheep_1024x768.jpg
    Make it so.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
  • wiredgodwiredgod Joined: Posts: 461
    Atlus. This man as a playable character.
    Make it so.

That would be awesome. Have his persona be a sheep too.
    PSN: wiredgod
    BB: Carl
    P4A: Teddie / Shadow Labrys
    Skullgirls: Peacock / PW / Filia
  • doyoudigwormsdoyoudigworms ..... Joined: Posts: 592
    I really enjoy this game on many different levels. It feels very expansive but it's obvious that it does lack some elements that could help inherently create more longevity, experience, and fun overall. Somethings I would love to see would be:

- New Characters

Junpei, Vincent etc.

- Harder Inputs

I really like the timing and button combinations, it gives this game a unique feel and I would not change that. However, harder directional inputs would be something that would give this game a more "pro" feel. I'd like to see furious actions have DP motions and specials have different motions like half circles etc.

- More Normals

This game is really lacking in this area. Command normals can really give a nice diverse feel to the game and not make characters feel so limited. With an engine so expansive and characters sharing many universal applications it's easier to focus on the fact that they don't have more to them as characters.

- More Stages and Music

Some of the best original persona music is not in matches but only in the menus. What gives?

Other than that I would not change too much, this gave is really addicting and fun. I like it a lot.
    3S: Q / VS: Aulbath/Victor / ST: DeeJay / A2: Rose
  • Optimus CackOptimus Cack yes man kablam Joined: Posts: 269
    - Harder Inputs

I really like the timing and button combinations, it gives this game a unique feel and I would not change that. However, harder directional inputs would be something that would give this game a more "pro" feel. I'd like to see furious actions have DP motions and specials have different motions like half circles etc.

Hahahaha..."I need more complex motions to make me feel like I'm accomplishing something."
  • Grimsley-SanGrimsley-San Prince of Darkness Joined: Posts: 12
    Characters having a 2nd Instant Kill.. :3
    P4A: Teddie; BBCSE: Rachel/Carl; SCV: Alpha Patroklos;
    UMVC3: Whatever 3 characters I want to use; TTT2: Lili/Alisa; SFxT: Alisa/Lili
    PSN: Grimsley-San
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,717 mod
    Persona selection is not happening since only a few characters can do so in canon.
    I have some sick ideas:.. for Aigis.
    Make Aigis:

- Have longer Orgia Gauge.
    - 300 bullets per round 100 simply isn't enough what were Arc thinking?!
    - Be able to use unlimited amount of EX Megido Kick as long as the meter is there. Needs more MAHVEL type combos mostly involving just megido kicks for beast damage.
    - Missiles cannot be interrupted once at start up frames.
    - Goddess Shield will now cause an untechable ground bounce to follow up with another Goddess Shield. Her damage output is not good enough.
    - Orgia Gauge recovers faster if you hit with an auto combo. That way her meter AND gauge can fill up max speed.

I had tons more buffs but this is definitely needed to be able to fight Mitsuru and there is NO way I can actually win without these buffs.
    Wait, you want to make a character that's arguably the best one in the game (one that has a favorable, 6:4 matchup against Mitsuru) stronger?
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    Hahahaha..."I need more complex motions to make me feel like I'm accomplishing something."

Sounds silly but in a way, but the amount I've been playing this game I'd like to better my execution while I'm at it. I won't get better at lead if all I play is rhythm, yah know?
  • AyxAyx abusing EX upkicks Joined: Posts: 161
    Persona selection is not happening since only a few characters can do so in canon.

Wait, you want to make a character that's arguably the best one in the game (one that has a favorable, 6:4 matchup against Mitsuru) stronger?
    of course she's my main why wouldn't I want her to be SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS tier.
  • DarkOceanUniverseDarkOceanUniverse Joined: Posts: 47
    I want to know who the heck was the culprit behind the story? Also, it would be nice to fight in Junes and old levels/dungeons in P4 and P3, instead of a school. That would be nice.
  • IchipooIchipoo Not in front of the mirror, it's embarrassing <3 Joined: Posts: 2,532
    I thought about what someone saying earlier how it would be nice if players still had to input the super command in Auto Combos, and I'm starting to agree with that sentiment. Many a time have a performed an Auto Combo for easy meter, only to accidentlally burn 50 meter for a super simply because I pressed A just one too many times. :(
    *insert generic shiny, glowy, and heavily photoshopped animu sig here*
    https://twitter.com/lchipoo
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,703
    -Don't balance the game in a boring way by taking out most of the fun stuff, make it more like GG where theres a bigger focus on making the characters fun to play. SSF4 and CS1 are examples of being balanced in a boring way.
    -Mitsuru and Aigis need some nerfs but nothing too harsh, just focus more on the characters below them. I love my broke characters in fighting games hehe
    -The ability to spectate when you join a room in a middle of the match like BB
    -SF4AE:2012 style ranking system. I honestly love how it tells you how much BP you have AND how your character ranks online
    I thought about what someone saying earlier how it would be nice if players still had to input the super command in Auto Combos, and I'm starting to agree with that sentiment. Many a time have a performed an Auto Combo for easy meter, only to accidentlally burn 50 meter for a super simply because I pressed A just one too many times. :(
    I also agree with this
  • iminthenet2iminthenet2 Joined: Posts: 494
    Why would we want a sequel to Persona 4 Arena?
    I think the game is fine tbh, it's fun and decent enough at a competitive level to take seriously. The reason why a sequel would be nice is because it'd help bring back attention to the game.
    I think the game is fine tbh, it's fun and decent enough at a competitive level to take seriously. The reason why a sequel would be nice is because it'd help bring back attention to the game.

People not giving this game attention is downright criminal. Everyone seems to clamor for an easy, accessible, balanced game and most importantly fun game and we have it with P4A but those not giving it the time of day should really rethink that decision. For a game so crazy and one that not only borrows from a lofty amount of game engines, this game should be all over the map and downright random but it's not. It may be easy to pick-up and play but I feel I'm still trying to master a lot of things and the game is a lot deeper than most realize.

Seriously, P4A is game of the year for me.
  • Doc RobotDoc Robot Ye Olde Schoole Joined: Posts: 33
    Playable Rise and/or Fuuka. (inb4 "whaddya gonna do with 'em? scan me to death?")

Since we've got P3 characters in the mix already, let's have some more. I'd be happy with Junpei. That said, Koromaru would be interesting if done correctly.

Definitely another story mode.

Hopefully they'd leave the complexity of the game right about where it is now. This is the first time I've ever been able to put a fighting game in front of non-FG friends and have them able to learn enough/be successful enough in a session to want another one. The barrier to entry, while still a little tricky, is manageable.

If nothing else, more (better?) DLC. Not saying I didn't like the DLC we got with P4A, but man. The glasses were cool (no Groucho specs, though -- Atlus, we were disappoint) and the color packs were kinda neat. Just doesn't seem like either should have been DLC. If you're gonna get me for an additional purchase or two, at least make it something really good.
  • TerminiTermini Play Skullgirls, ya jerk. Joined: Posts: 55
    More Persona 3 characters. Let it happen.
    Xbl: Orpheus Arisato
    PSN: Terminia (mostly used just for Vita games)
    Skullgirls (I have it for Xbox 360) - Solo Filia <3
    P4U (I have it for Xbox 360) - Yosuke
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • Zane HitsurugiZane Hitsurugi X-buster, ready. Joined: Posts: 1,077
    Playable Adachi and Minato. Switchable personas. More Songs. nerf mitsuru. Give personas alot more normals.
    PSN: hawkw1ng
    BBCF: Susano'o, Bang, Kokonoe UNIBEXLTEST: Enkidu/Yuzuriha MVC:I- Megaman X/Zero

It's a great game, and I'll be playing it for plenty of time, but it certainly has a few areas to improve. A story mode that feels like less of a grind for starters, having more characters, and adjusting the autocombo system seem to have popular support here.
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,947
    A new song for Chie.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2
  • DonkeyBlonkeyDonkeyBlonkey Part-Time Warrior/Soldier! Joined: Posts: 1,487
    I want Green Block/Pushblock, and I want to play as Kou from the Basketball Club and also Yukari from Persona 3.

I'm with you on Yukatan. I don't mind if we can play as Koromaru or Junpei.
    Bond: Vodka Martini.
    Bartender: Shaken or Stirred?
    Bond: Does it look like I give a damn?
    Pushblock would make it a very different game. Maybe make guard cancel more effective instead?
  • Optimus CackOptimus Cack yes man kablam Joined: Posts: 269
    Pushblock would make it a very different game. Maybe make guard cancel more effective instead?

I would much rather have pushblock in favor of instant block. There is essentially no reason to not instant block everything assuming you have the unfailing precision to always do it. Pushblock as it is in Skullgirls at least made you think about when you should use it.
    I would much rather have pushblock in favor of instant block. There is essentially no reason to not instant block everything assuming you have the unfailing precision to always do it. Pushblock as it is in Skullgirls at least made you think about when you should use it.

Personally, I don't really see a glaring issue with the way blockstrings, ticks, and mix-ups are now to warrant pushblock. I definitely agree to some extent with Wiredgod that the game would radically change if it were to be introduced. Realistically, the vast majority of players do not use instant block as effectively as just defend and often forget about it entirely. Even the great players using instant block have not learned to use it in just defend or parry, simply because it's not that game changing. It helps eliminate some string pressure & create small openings but rarely sways momentum in a significant way. It's not often you see someone instant block then reversal super or something like that. More importantly many players are trying to deal with a million other things in the game then whether or not they got a successful instant block, especially if they are fighting a player with great mix-up.
    Rollbacks added to the netcode.

Tag-team. For a game/series that is all about friendship, it would be nice to be able to call on your friends in the middle of a match. Add two more buttons, one for a non-Persona assist and one for a Persona assist. Hitting both tags your partner in.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • SaikoJoshSaikoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 694
    Giantesses.

Every game needs them, IMO.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Krisan ThymeKrisan Thyme The Sage Of Time Joined: Posts: 52
    That would be awesome. Have his persona be a sheep too.
    Funny thing is.. There's already a Persona that would fit.
    Tao_Tie_%282%29.jpg
    Rollbacks added to the netcode.
    Please this. There should be an option to adjust the delay as well.

Basically GGPO
    Please this. There should be an option to adjust the delay as well.

Basically GGPO
    Also, ping times instead of bars and detailed region filtering. In other words, everything Skullgirls' GGPO implementation does but with lobbies.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    This game has comparatively good netcode, but it's hard to play online with this game after playing the really great netcode Skullgirls has now. Dropping combos because of lag and getting beaten to a pulp because of it is really frustrating.
    I decided I'd like stricter inputs in this game for a few reasons. The first is that after playing P4A a while, I get sloppy with my inputs and can't execute when I switch to other games. The other reason is that I've had a number of times where I accidentally perform a special move or super I definitely didn't mean to that shouldn't have happened. So I vote for stricter input on the quarter circle motion inputs.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,274
    I only have one specific request, add Yukari.
    In general, the usual, more characters, balance tweaks, honestly, i feel that there is no need to make drastic changes on the game mechanics.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • ZeldiasZeldias The Untitled Joined: Posts: 80
    Would like the auto-combo to go in favor of a magic series.

Wouldn't mind seeing the super at the end gone in favor of just executing it, but I rarely have issues with this.

Adding a tag mode or something would be really, really cool.

I'm in favor of no pushblock, though in my saltier moments, I wish I had it.

I wish the story mode was, like someone else said, seeing different events with different characters, and not a slightly revised version of the same thing over and over.

I don't think I like the idea of choosing different Persona, but a character who can switch them for different moves and stuff, like stances, would be amazing (DEMI-FIEND FOR DLC).

I would kinda like to see the buttons change to Weak, Medium, Fierce, and Persona Weak, Medium, Fierce. I sometimes feel like the commands for the mechanics are a bit cluttered and more buttons would help space them out.

GGPO netcode (Skullgirls dat shit).

Obviously more characters. Maybe even some kind of Atlus Dream Match thing with characters from all kinds of Atlus games (Etrian Odyssey characters vs Vincent, and that kind of thing).
  • CheeseCakezCheeseCakez Joined: Posts: 10
    An RPG sequel where the characters are the cast of P3 and P4.

Zombie Minato DLC.
  • LammeLamme Joined: Posts: 109
    Get rid of Zen United.
    Steam: Lamme PSN: Lammez- Live: Lammaz
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/realLamme
  • AnneIFrankAnneIFrank Joined: Posts: 428
    Battle Panties.
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,287
    No Auto-Combos...

That is all.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • SpaceOutNightmareSpaceOutNightmare Stays Sandbaggin' Joined: Posts: 2,351
    Seriously Atlus, Arcsys, I buy pretty much everything you fuckers make.

GIVE. ME. MAYA. AMANO.
    Thinking about redoing BOB tournament for the patch, anyone game?
  • LarsMastersLarsMasters Joined: Posts: 121
    No region lock disc plz. It makes me sick!

Needs some changes:
    *SP Gauge MAX from 0% to 150%
    *Awakened State removed, Burn Up! close up will appear if SP gauge is fully MAX
    *B+D replaced with DP or HC motions, waste of blue health
    *Has most of Chrono Phantasma, such as Overdrive
    *Revert back to Blazblue style command moves input (such as Normal Attacks)
    *Most characters will have special command moves & mechanics like Blazblue characters
    *Persona Summon only input is D

Characters:
    *P3 Protagonist (Iaijutsu Pratitioner)
    *Yukari (an Archer)
    *Junpei (Archer/Priest/Chris Redfield Stereotype)
    *Ken (Kilik/Basara's Yukimura Stereotype)
    *Koromaru (Amaterasu Stereotype)
    *Adachi (NEW Persona: Uroboros)
    I'm just a gamer/troper whose just passing by. The answers lies in the Heart of Battle.