Official Hit Box SSFIV Thread

Husser_BrianHusser_Brian Joined: Posts: 250
Welcome to Hit Box headquarters for SSFIV:AE!

The Hit Box community has grown significantly in the last year or so, and it’s about time we have our own Street Fighter hub. Feel free to share tips and techniques, post videos, ask questions, get involved, and identify yourself as a Hit Box player in SSFIV! Even if you’re brand new to Hit Box, feel free to jump in on the conversation with any questions.

Please visit our tech talk thread for any general or technical support questions. This thread is all about Street Fighter!

NEW: Updated tutorials for the original How to Hit Box lessons and Hit Box Interactive learning tool to help you get started with the basics!

Hadoken - Get started with Quarter Circles and QCF x2
Shoryuken - The Dragon Punch Motion and its shortcuts in SSFIV:AE
Sonic Boom - Charge Characters Part 1
Flash Kick - Charge Characters Part 2

Official Hit Box Content

How to Hit Box SSFIV Tutorial Index
Glossary of Common Terms and Techniques
Spoiler:

SSFIV:AE Shortcut Guide
Spoiler:
Post edited by Husser_Brian on

Comments

• DeathfistDeathfist Joined: Posts: 688
    Forgot the F, FDB, DF uppercut via SOCD cleaning.
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    -outwhatever your victim.
  • Husser_BrianHusser_Brian Joined: Posts: 250
    Forgot the F, FDB, DF uppercut via SOCD cleaning.
    I decided to leave all SOCDs out for now since I'll have incoming tutorials to update it. Plus, the 636 DPM is all you need for those walking uppercuts in SSFIV.
    Coming up soon is FADC shortcuts and tips, as well as walking ultras and defensive ultras using SOCDs!
    I decided to leave all SOCDs out for now since I'll have incoming tutorials to update it. Plus, the 636 DPM is all you need for those walking uppercuts in SSFIV.
    Coming up soon is FADC shortcuts and tips, as well as walking ultras and defensive ultras using SOCDs!
    I see your point. Me personally, I'd definitely use the 636 too, but I also believe that it's best not to overuse use game exclusive shortcuts [except maybe to be a dick, maybe in emergencies, and or prove a point]. If you play multiple versions of street fighter and other games that don't have leniency and it's too much of a habit, you'll fuck up and die when they punish you, then everyone else watching you will laugh till they cry.
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-

New SOCD FADC tutorial! All you have to do is hold :f: and tap :b: + MP MK

Next up is QCFx2 Ultra shortcuts and FADC into them!
  • ShikyoShikyo Joined: Posts: 46
    Hey, I'm considering getting a Hitbox(even though it costs a ton for shipping over here and for customs as well... sigh) and I've been enjoying the more advanced SF4 videos like the FADC one posted above.

Could you please consider making a video on SJC Ultraing with Ibuki? That's one of the instant benefits I can think of but I really would like to see how it works in practice. Seeing as you apparently are planning on making a video on QCFx2 ultras next, it should even be a nice addition! At least s.MK into SJC ultra would be great.
    All you have to do is hold :f: and tap :b: + MP MK

Next up is QCFx2 Ultra shortcuts and FADC into them!
    Don't mind me, I'm just imagining the look on some online player's face when my Megaman in MvC2 is wave-dashing all over the place. While charging a red buster of course.

[Hold hp + the direction I want to go, and alternate back, nothing, and down for the win].
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
  • The Mad KingThe Mad King Hyou~ Joined: Posts: 254
    Working on getting Fei Long's Chicken Wing ( :b::db::d::df::f::uf: + K) down consistently, any help here?

EDIT: Got it! Basically realized it was just a slide half circle, using my right thumb for up and right index for the kick button of choice. Pretty much got it 100% consistent now.
    Working on getting Fei Long's Chicken Wing ( :b::db::d::df::f::uf:) down consistently, any help here?
    Do the command as usual. Find out where you're screwing up, or which commands you're skipping. If you're skipping the down cardinal, start going B, DB, DBF, DF, F, in one smooth motion, and when you feel you only have F down, use your thumb to hit up and press the button to get the UF. Boom! Done!
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    Could you please consider making a video on SJC Ultraing with Ibuki? That's one of the instant benefits I can think of but I really would like to see how it works in practice. Seeing as you apparently are planning on making a video on QCFx2 ultras next, it should even be a nice addition! At least s.MK into SJC ultra would be great.
    You know, I'm curious if this SOCD Ultra shortcut will make jump cancels easier. I didn't' think anyone was posting in this thread so I didn't get a chance to see if it's an easier motion. What are the best SJC normals into ultra? (It's been a while with Ibuki)

EDIT: The shortcut does not work for buffering jump cancels. :mk::d::f::uf::d::f:+KKK doesn't work. But it's still very manageable to do it with fast QCF's: :mk::d::df::f::uf::d::df::f:+KKK
    I can get it off the MK fairly consistently and off Fierce every time.
  • soulsynapsesoulsynapse on the scene Joined: Posts: 300
    I get a lot of shit at my locals for playing on a hitbox with people often quoting standing 720's as an example of how inputs are easier on it. What arguments do you guys use to defend your use of an unorthodox controller?

Also, I don't use an official hitbox (I made my own instead) but I'm (probably?) the most prominent san diego hitbox player :) showing up in tournaments and such. I'll likely be at the Arcade Relief event this saturday, I'll see if I can't hold up my box for the stream if I even get that far.
    ?! break it.
  • KawwKaww ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ Joined: Posts: 508 ✭✭
    . What arguments do you guys use to defend your use of an unorthodox controller?.

"I like buttons" worked for me.
    I get a lot of shit at my locals for playing on a hitbox with people often quoting standing 720's as an example of how inputs are easier on it. What arguments do you guys use to defend your use of an unorthodox controller?

Also, I don't use an official hitbox (I made my own instead) but I'm (probably?) the most prominent san diego hitbox player :) showing up in tournaments and such. I'll likely be at the Arcade Relief event this saturday, I'll see if I can't hold up my box for the stream if I even get that far.
    I'm assuming yours has internal SOCD handling mechanisms. If you don't have them, you're cheating. I'm also assuming that Left + Right = Neutral. If it's LCE, substitute last entered in. I don't know how effective this would be, but I'd carry a copy of MvC3 Vanilla, an official controller, and tell the organizers how my Hitbox works. Touching each button, I'd say exactly this...

Movement is "Left [taps left], Down [taps down], Right [Taps right], Up [taps up], Neutral [presses both left and right], Up [taps both down and up at exactly the same time], All else is standard. You want to do a controller test with a game that proves it? [while smiling of course].

If you do this, you have hard data in this situation that proves your Hitbox isn't a cheat box. Since you have the tournament organizers on your side, when anyone bitches, they don't have any moral ground to stand on [like they and their scrub mentality ever did...].

If they're complaining about anything being easier to do, tell them...
    1]Even if that statement was accurate, aren't controllers meant to make game-play as easy as possible without playing the game for you? And if the controller isn't, isn't it failing at its mission?
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    I get a lot of shit at my locals for playing on a hitbox...
    I wouldn't worry too much if yours isn't SOCD cleaned. :P

"Thanks, grandpa. Let's see you play on this." while you proceed to kick their ass.
    This is a good topic though. I know there's a lot of this cheat box comments coming from tournament players who know nothing about buttons. Generally I'm a smart ass and people eventually come around, but I would like to see this stigma go away altogether. Maybe we can get some sort of FAQ for this?
    Don't you dare let those people discourage you though.
  • density.density. DIVEKICK HERO Joined: Posts: 743
    It will just take some time then the community will accept it. People have a hard time grasping the concept of new things in any community. Over time once people start seeing the Hitbox more and more, people will just accept that it's another legitimate control platform and stop questioning it, not sure if there is a short term answer other than to ignore them.
    If I missed them with it then it was just a gimmick. If I hit them with it then it was all mindgames. At least, that's what I tell everyone I play against.

This is called a "boast/excuse option select" and it's without a doubt the most useful technique that anyone has ever taught me." -Deadfrog
    I wouldn't worry too much if yours isn't SOCD cleaned. :P

"Thanks, grandpa. Let's see you play on this." while you proceed to kick their ass.
    This is a good topic though. I know there's a lot of this cheat box comments coming from tournament players who know nothing about buttons. Generally I'm a smart ass and people eventually come around, but I would like to see this stigma go away altogether. Maybe we can get some sort of FAQ for this?
    Don't you dare let those people discourage you though.

LOL forgot to add that part. Actually, it was in it and accidentally edited out.

Actually, I'd tell him to attempt 10 standing or walking 720s in a row and see if he gets it. He won't. Brian, based on what you've said, it took you a month to get this done.

BTW, I actually would worry about if mine's SOCD cleaned. All that really cool 1-2 frame dashing, FADC stuff, and my SOCD upper would be gone. I'm greedy. I won't do without.

One thing I forgot to mention that I edited into the earlier post... If you do what I tell you to to the organizers, they'll most likely accept that the device is just a slightly better input device, and not a tool for cheating. The other competitors and members of the community will have to fall in line.
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    Coupling what you see in this video

With This video

00:54 Meters are built or expended before the move comes out.

Is pretty rude.
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
  • soulsynapsesoulsynapse on the scene Joined: Posts: 300
    I'm assuming yours has internal SOCD handling mechanisms. If you don't have them, you're cheating.

I have the SOCD cleaner in my box (thanks gdlk) but how would it be cheating if I didn't? I played on keyboard for months before I got a hitbox and holding left+right = forward, not block. You can do the same thing with a pad (left on dpad right on stick). I spent the same countless hours learning my combos then as I do now, how am I cheating when I'm using a keyboard?

When you think about it pad and keyboard are the defaults now, with keyboard being especially relevant, you have to go out of your way to get a stick. If PC is a huge chunk of the player base who are you to tell me my controller is cheating.

^^ how my argument usually goes.
    ?! break it.
    Well, in some games, you can double-block which is frowned on by many players. Also, some games all kinds of weird things can happen in games that weren't programmed to handle SOCDs like crashing, and walking forwards while charging. Chicken guarding becomes broken in games with air blocking that don't have guard breaks, as the only threat is the air throw. Teching the throw becomes too easy because all you would need to do is hit a button [I'd bait the tech, and then punish the attack thrown personally].

I have questions about whether or not SOCDs are cheating myself, and have that lean, so I like the idea of eliminating them. The advantages of the SOCD cleaner are quite desirable anyways. Furthermore, most pads put a certain level of priority so that commands from one directional movement system are always taken over commands from the other. In MvC2 for Dreamcast, I think the analog stick's actions take precedence over the D-pad.

I guess people are too brainless to take into account that an anti-ghosting keyboard would allow SOCD entry.

Actually, now that I think about it, SOCDs that cause weird, undesirable things to happen are more the fault of a shit programmer, and not of the person who's able to take advantage of it. It's almost the responsibility of the player to exploit this to his benefit. It should be the responsibility of the developer to consider and deal with this shit. If they don't, then we should be able to exploit them should we chose to depending on the circumstances. I choose not to.

Everyone should be able to use any control scheme they desire so long as that control scheme isn't playing the game for the player [Program pads, etc...]. Otherwise you eliminate certain sections of the community unnecessarily that can benefit it.
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
  • waffwaff Joined: Posts: 9
    Hi hitbox users,

I'm a new to using a hitbox (with SOCD) with AE. I really enjoy the concept of it, but am having some seemingly random behavior with certain inputs. I've spent a bit of time in training mode with inputs showing, and I haven't been able to explain what's happening. Can you help me figure it out?

I have only gotten fireballs to come out with 236+p, not 26+p, and this is consistent. However, when I go for supers and ultras, I have less consistent results:

23236+p, 236236+p always work for super/ultra.
    2626+p seems to work half of the time, the other half of the time yielding a dp. Perhaps the timing affects what comes out? Or does the training mode input not always display what is actually input if it happens too quickly? I've also tried the new SOCD ultra tech posted recently to get 2626+p, and still get the same inconsistent results.

If you could explain what is going on and/or share your relevant experiences, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    If you could explain what is going on and/or share your relevant experiences, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There are several shortcuts for ultra. So :d::df::d::df::f works, and :d::df::d::f: is a slightly more efficient (but awkward) motion for ultra. I just focused in on the :d::f::d::f: shortcut because of the efficiency, simplicity, and use in FADC combos without letting go of :f:.

There's one caveat to it that I didn't focus on long enough in the tutorial, and that's that the shortcut only works if there are no neutral inputs accidentally entered. It's a bit tricky because the input history doesn't show "neutral" as an input in SSFIV, but it affects the shortcut nonetheless.

If you get an EX dp, then you accidentally hit :b:+:f: at some point while you were either hitting the diagonal or releasing the diagonal. Because :f::d::f::d:N:f: won't work. To stop this and get your walking ultra to come out 99% you need to be very crisp and fast on the diagonal. Once you know why it's not coming out all the time it's much easier to make the adjustment.

Another option is to purposefully teach yourself to "roll" your fingers away from the diagonal. You can program your fingers to do the entire motion just off of the negative edge. Your fingers will be entering :f:(hold) :db::db:(tap) but the input history reads a perfect QCFx2.

I hope that makes sense. Just aim for perfect diagonals.
    There are several shortcuts for ultra. So :d::df::d::df::f works, and :d::df::d::f: is a slightly more efficient (but awkward) motion for ultra. I just focused in on the :d::f::d::f: shortcut because of the efficiency, simplicity, and use in FADC combos without letting go of :f:.

There's one caveat to it that I didn't focus on long enough in the tutorial, and that's that the shortcut only works if there are no neutral inputs accidentally entered. It's a bit tricky because the input history doesn't show "neutral" as an input in SSFIV, but it affects the shortcut nonetheless.

If you get an EX dp, then you accidentally hit :b:+:f: at some point while you were either hitting the diagonal or releasing the diagonal. Because :f::d::f::d:N:f: won't work. To stop this and get your walking ultra to come out 99% you need to be very crisp and fast on the diagonal. Once you know why it's not coming out all the time it's much easier to make the adjustment.

Another option is to purposefully teach yourself to "roll" your fingers away from the diagonal. You can program your fingers to do the entire motion just off of the negative edge. Your fingers will be entering :f:(hold) :db::db:(tap) but the input history reads a perfect QCFx2.

I recommend using some other game's practice mode that shows neutral inputs if you're going to practice this in addition to SSF4.
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
  • JimmyRiddleJimmyRiddle Joined: Posts: 26

Wait.. I didn't know you could negative edge Directional inputs!!. So this would only work if you input the diagonal perfectly? this means you can do super motion with one button press if you hold forward?! yikes, cant wait to test this when I get home. So im thinking feilong cr mp into super would be walk forward (6) press 1+2+mp, Release 1+2+mp and that should work yea?
    Wait.. I didn't know you could negative edge Directional inputs!!. So this would only work if you input the diagonal perfectly? this means you can do super motion with one button press if you hold forward?! yikes, cant wait to test this when I get home. So im thinking feilong cr mp into super would be walk forward (6) press 1+2+mp, Release 1+2+mp and that should work yea?
    You have to finish the super once you let go :b::d: so the direction defaults itself back to :f:, finishing your motion. Then you press MP. But yeah you can definitely buffer the first half of the motion anywhere; before your confirm, during your footsies, etc.

I don't think it's the literal definition of negative edge, but it's the same concept of letting go of one button to trigger an input. :b:+:d:+:f:, :d:+:f:, :f: is a hadoken strictly from removing your fingers in the correct order.
    Same thing with the ultra shortcut. You don't have to have a 'perfect' diagonal so long as it slants towards the proper motion on negative edge, rather than the other way which will get you neutral inputs.

If you want to incorporate negative edge motions into your game, you can practice "counter plinking" to master the art of hitting your directional motions one frame after the other with negative edge release. If you learn it, it can potentially give you optimal inputs with less finger motions involved if you use more of a wrist pivot on release. I use it for Tekken wavedash and Viper seismo spam in UMvC3 to reduce my workload on fast repetitive motions; make a roll feel like tapping a diagonal. Right now I'm mastering walking SOCD :f::d::df: in UMvC3 to give myself a reactionary dragon punch at what feels like holding forward with the tap of a diagonal. Nothing can match that speed except SSFIV shoryuken shortcuts. :P
    You have to finish the super once you let go :b::d: so the direction defaults itself back to :f:, finishing your motion. Then you press MP. But yeah you can definitely buffer the first half of the motion anywhere; before your confirm, during your footsies, etc.

I don't think it's the literal definition of negative edge, but it's the same concept of letting go of one button to trigger an input. :b:+:d:+:f:, :d:+:f:, :f: is a hadoken strictly from removing your fingers in the correct order.
    Same thing with the ultra shortcut. You don't have to have a 'perfect' diagonal so long as it slants towards the proper motion on negative edge, rather than the other way which will get you neutral inputs.

If you want to incorporate negative edge motions into your game, you can practice "counter plinking" to master the art of hitting your directional motions one frame after the other with negative edge release. If you learn it, it can potentially give you optimal inputs with less finger motions involved if you use more of a wrist pivot on release. I use it for Tekken wavedash and Viper seismo spam in UMvC3 to reduce my workload on fast repetitive motions; make a roll feel like tapping a diagonal. Right now I'm mastering walking SOCD :f::d::df: in UMvC3 to give myself a reactionary dragon punch at what feels like holding forward with the tap of a diagonal. Nothing can match that speed except SSFIV shoryuken shortcuts. :P
    Imagine how rude that SOCD uppercut would be for someone like Zero with a charged buster. We're talking invincible DP death. That or Genmu-Zero [level 3 hyper].

Side note: I think it goes without saying that you can do SOCD shortcuts for the 323 uppercut. DF, DFB, DF+attack in SSF4
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
  • Mash_EffectMash_Effect Joined: Posts: 7
    Hello forum =)

Im quiete new to the game 'n genre (1 year) but made good progress...
    until my postman delivered me my hitbox couple of days ago.
    started with fight stick from day 1 i got infected early that last year as soon as i saw it. and now ive got one on my own.

problem is that love-hate with that thing.
    i cant imagine inputs that simple, clean yet easy (theoretically) like on hitbox. (im sorry for some proto-type'ish phrases by my bad english having fun messing around with)
    but i also couldnt imagine before, how hard it is to learn!

...lost the track a little bit...

what i actually wanted to know with this post is, if THAT thread right here is the right place for any questions that WILL pop up in my hitbox-learning-process.
    because i need help.
    after just 4 sessions i was on the edge selling it again and i believe i wont stand the hitbox due to believings i wont do as well with single fingers than a complete grip on those fight stick sticks =)

wow...does my sentences make still any sense. looks awkward ^^

anyhoe...
    do you guys think it is 100% possible to switch to hitbox like it should be the case from pad to stick for example.
    or do you think not everybody can play piano (i feel like the are similarities in the challenge between piano and hitbox ^^ ).
    those who think so, what do you think is the reason for the fact that the hitbox is quiete unpopular? with those input-possibilities and other advantages (cheaper to build, harder to break, easier to carry)?!
    i mean common! it has to do something with the individual ability to move those two crytical fingers independently.
    or is that just my excuse for my laziness? (plz tell me it is, i wanna be a hitboxer ^^ )

thanks!

ps: no preview of my post, too not-sober to NOT change my mind about that look of my awkward sentences what would just cause even more effort than that text did (im a foreigner)
    new idea!
    =)
    can you tell me some good loops to practise in order to get to know my new controller a little bit?
    real fights havend helped so far since ive got general problems with hitbox inputs like no special is ever coming out after succesfull links but hot air.
    i feel like doing that SOCD-loop now...

edited September 2013
    and my main consern so far:

why is it so hard for me to get a hadoken out of crouching block position?

from player 1 perspective:
    it is
    :b: :d: THEN :d: (releasing back) THEN :d: :f: THEN :f: (releasing down) :p:
    right?

i find it hard to not skip the down input
    Post edited by Mash_Effect on
    edited September 2013
    even more depressed cause looks like im too stupid =(

SOCD doesnt work for me like in the video.

it doesnt cancel my focus attack by holding :f: and just tap :b: + FA
    but thats how i understand the technique.
    but going through fireballs for example for me works only if i do
    holding :f: THEN FA + :b: (RELEASING :f: ) THEN :f: again
    so i have to let go :f: , cannot just hold it and tap :b:

=(
    Post edited by Mash_Effect on
    okay.
    found out that my dualstrike PCB cant handle SOCD. im not getting neutral when pushing back and forward the same time.
    so im less stupid than i thought last night.
    but i am still seeking for help and discussion about that hitbox thingy =)
    my worst enemy so far is one of the most basic thing of all basics ^^
    what i try to reconstruct in training room is the situation when you crouch in front of the other player and do confirming jabs to link into a fireball.
    now...with arcadestick i can do that easily out of crouch blocking because the stick just allows an smooth motion with all needed directions (its at least by far the easiest method since its something circle-ish and therefore smooth).

but with hitbox and (now the correct) socd correction ive found out three different methods to do the same thing mentioned before.

i would like to know (and still hoping theres gonna be somebody i can talk with about the hitbox) if you can tell more ways, which you prefer and why.

in case of evil ryu:

1) just crouch before other player WITHOUT blocking (no :db: ) and do: CRLP , CRLP , CRMP + FORWARD (now :d: + :f: which gives :df: ) and THEN release DOWN the same time you push a PUNCH-button for the projectile.

--> this had been the method i chose in the first place to get to know the hitbox and its rythm. but it came to my mind that i did that on stick always out of crouching block which is much safer if u mess up the chain. so i tried to figure out a solution, a safer method, out of crouch blocking and i found two more ways...

2) crouchblock before other player (so :db: this time) and do: CRLP , CRLP , few frames before i hit the link CRMP i release the BACK button (so just before the link its just :d: ) and when i actually hit the plinked CRMP i also push FORWARD (now :d: + :f: which gives :df: ) and THEN release DOWN the same time you push a PUNCH-button for the projectile. [copypasted after the plink]

3) crouchblock before the other player (so :db: this time as well) and do: CRLP , CRLP, few frames before i hit the link CRMP im pushing also forward (now its :b: + :d: + :f: which then gives :df: ) and THEN when i actually hit the plinked CRMP i simultaneously release the BACK button (now its just :d: + :f: again) and THEN i release the DOWN button the same time im pushing a PUNCH-button for the projectile.

I prefer the second version yet, because its easier for me than to go with the third method.

thats bothering me the most since its so basic.

any thoughts about that?

thx for listening

ps: no preview, its too late ^^ hope the text isnt too buggy ^^
  • RuidoRuido Joined: Posts: 5
    edited January 4
    Hi

May be best way for Ruy's Ultra is slide?

Same technic as "Slide Cardinal Double Half Circle"?

Post edited by Ruido on
  • Drake AldanDrake Aldan It's a doggy dog world. Joined: Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    Maybe.

I guess you have to work with what's comfortable. You can type it out, you can one-finger slide twice, or you can two-finger (index+ring) slide. I've been going for one-finger slide x2 these days.

I find that I have to wear gloves to keep from damaging my fingers- it decreases friction and makes the slide easier, but I lose some tactile sensory information.

The two-finger slide is kind of awkward for me- I find I have to use my pinky instead of my ring finger, since there's a tendency for me to slide through once, and then while that finger is still on back, put my following finger on forward, which SOCD cancels into nothing, which ends up flubbing the input.

Using index finger for 1P and 2P, sliding twice, seems to be the most consistent for me.
    Post edited by Drake Aldan on
    Moving forward... 30 matches at a time.
  • fohstickfohstick Joined: Posts: 236 ✭✭
    how does the hitbox work for games that offer little or no input shortcuts, like 3rd strike and super turbo?

half circle motions have to be executed at a certain pace - not too fast, but not too slow, when playing on the keyboard. Im wondering if the hitbox is any different
  • StrahotaStrahota Joined: Posts: 2
    edited January 18
    When i first saw SSf4 group of videos, i drooled on the idea that i could have that level of execution that easy :)
    I'm a pad player, and had a stick for a long time, and tried god knows how many times to stick with arcade stick, and always went back to pad ... long story short, i hated the pad, but had to use it.
    I have a hitbox for 2 weeks now, and right of the bat, things i could not even imagine doing on a pad, i started doing on a hitbox after literally 5 minutes. Down side is, things i did with ease on a pad give me headache on hitbox, but i'm getting there, and i will rule :)
    Anyway, i found this by accident with just playing around in practice mode, and i had to share it here, since this was never mentioned in videos ( and i know all of them by heart :) ), and it's definitely worth it.
    In Seth's trial 15 ( cr lk, cr lp, DP ... ) i never got to DP, because super always comes out instead. There are no words to describe how mad i was, but then i found it. A new way to do double qcf ultras and supers, from crouching position. All you have to do is just tap forward twice as fast as you can, and let go of down + all 3 punches/kicks. It comes out every time ... pure HYPE :)
    In my opinion, it beats SOCD ultras, simply because there are less buttons to press, and you don't have to worry about pressing back first instead of down in plink, and especially useful for characters whose ultras are done in opposite directions from opponent.
    So, press and hold down, tap forward twice, let go of down + all 3 kicks/punches
    P.S.
    Hitbox rule :)
    Post edited by Strahota on
    edited January 18
    Strahota wrote: »
    There are no words to describe how mad i was, but then i found it. A new way to do double qcf ultras and supers, from crouching position. All you have to do is just tap forward twice as fast as you can, and let go of down + all 3 punches/kicks. It comes out every time ... pure HYPE :)
    I looked into this.

23236 ultra- I guess you could call it the "big brother" of the 323 Shoryuken shortcut.

Assuming 1P side; hold 2 with the middle finger, tap 6 once with the index, then tap and hold 6 again while releasing 2 and press PPP/KKK.

Input display looks like this:

zhL4N9t.png

2326 ultra works too... sometimes. I think? It's not always consistent for me, try it out.

S5wBAfp.png

You're not exactly in defensive crouch, but like the 323 Shoryuken, you do stay crouching until... well, theoretically, the last frame (if you push 6+PPP/KKK simultaneously).

It's a lot cleaner visually- you don't bob up and down like a maniac,

s6bxE0C.gif

so it could be a better way of hiding things.

Of course, you're talking about just whipping raw ultra out of your pants, but...

Probably known to most people, but you can delay the period between inputting the motion and pressing the attack buttons, so you can walk forward a teensy-tiny bit before executing. Not a whole lot (definitely not like the walking SOCD ultra), but it's there.

(ed. SF4ComboTrainer says you can hold the last input for about 15 frames. So, just a little-itty bit.)

I think it is easier to do than the double 236236 roll or SOCD ultra... Maybe a little more lenient when done carefully.
  • StrahotaStrahota Joined: Posts: 2

2326 ultra works too... sometimes. I think? It's not always consistent for me, try it out.

Weird ... first time i tried it, i was able to hit it 2 times in a row ( and i thought, pffff i got this ), but then, i failed a lot of times in a row :)
    It's a good one I'll tell you that, but 23236 comes out faster for me, so I'll just stick with it.
  • vashvash Joined: Posts: 361
    The videos posted and shortcuts are indeed very helpful. Are there any additional videos/tutorials on things related to instant air attacks? With the Hitbox, things like Adon/Makoto instant air are very manageable. For other characters' instant air (Gouken tatsu), it doesn't seem to work as well (seems a delay is necessary). One area that seems to work very well: Oni's instant air U1.

After playing with Hitbox for nearly a year, there are definitely some characters/moves that work out much better (for me) and others that simply don't work as well (charge characters, 720 motions).
    vash wrote: »
    For other characters' instant air (Gouken tatsu), it doesn't seem to work as well (seems a delay is necessary).
    Some air specials have height restrictions. Compare Yun's divekick to Rufus'. (Hold down-forward, then plink or roll up~kick- you can't do it with Yun, but Rufus will barely go anywhere.)
    edited March 17
    Came up with this on the can. :P

I was thinking about the crouching ultra (23236) and the crouching shoryuken shortcut (2323 or 323). I find sometimes that I hold down-back for dear life, so letting go of down-back to do things like punish or anti-air can get kind of hairy (like accidentally inputting 12123 instead of 12323 because the finger on "back" is lagging behind...)

I think this could be a better way of using these shortcuts from a defensive position. If anything it's different... Maybe some people know about it already.

From the 1P starting position (L - left, ring finger; D - down, middle finger; R - right, index finger) enter commands in sequence:

L+D (crouching)
    L+D+R
    D+R (let go of L)
    L+D+R (keep holding D+R)
    D+R+button press (let go of L and press the attack button shortly after)

This should result in the input sequence 12323. In the event that you hit D+R too early (skipping the initial L+D+R) you will still input 1323 which is still an acceptable input.

Double QCF super/ultra is the same, but one more step.

L+D (crouching)
    L+D+R
    D+R (let go of L)
    L+D+R (keep holding D+R)
    D+R (let go of L)
    R+button press (let go of D and press the attack button shortly after)

This should result in 123236.

This feels a little easier to me (though you might have to work it a few times in practice to wrap your mind around it). though, admittedly this is a little complex at first, and you can't really mash it... But maybe the act of transferring tension from down-back to down-forward takes some of the difficulty away from releasing L?

Let me know what you think.
    Something I was thinking about today.

I was reading a topic that eventually started talking about DP shortcuts.
    Komatik wrote: »
    It allows pretty hilarious DP inputs. f, db, uf is a dp.

Now... I've tried various ways of doing DP (specifically AA DP) with mixed success. I think my failures (along with lack of practice) may be due to the "release" of buttons.

There's the classic f, d, df - which I try to use as much as I can now- but it can be somewhat slow. Tap f, release, then plink d~f. I like it because I can interrupt my train of thought when moving backwards easily, but I find myself getting interrupted half of the time too.

There's f, df, f - which is very fast, but can be awkward as your attack button press needs to land when you release your middle finger.
    I don't know how many times I've gone for DP and got f, df+attack, f.

There's df, d, df or d, df, d, df - great for keeping your hitbox low to the ground, but I've always found this awkward to use outside of combos. Something about the double tap throws me off- I may press the buttons too fast, or my finger might lock up and not complete the second tap.

So here's what I propose now:

f, df, uf.

Basically, on 1P side, you press and hold index on right, press and hold middle on down, and then with your right hand, use your thumb and desired finger to press up+attack simultaneously (or plink up~attack).

Clenching, grasping, holding down- is much more natural to the human hand, I think. Grabbing is one of the first things a baby does...

You have to be calm to tap and release precisely, but clamping down I think anyone can do when panicked or stressed.

I haven't tested this in the field yet, but I think it could be useful. If anything, it's just another option Hitbox users have.

Let me know what you think.
  • DooplissDoopliss T.Rawk Joined: Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭
    edited May 20
    You can just do F, DF, F, no need to press up. That's how I usually do it when I'm forced to play on keyboard: Hold F, tap D, then the attack button.
    Post edited by Doopliss on
    Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

"Gotta Patch 'Em All!" an USFIV Old Character Combo Video