As my first post, let me just say hello and bow to the vast amounts of knowledge I will accumulate here. I am looking forward to posting often and spending many nights reading about specific match-ups and futile debates.
I have a few questions I'd like to throw out there:
- How do I progress once I'm no longer a complete beginner? I've learned my inputs, shortcut inputs, basic BnBs, Cross Ups, I know my moves, I use Focus Attack responsibly, ETC, but where I live I literally have one intermediate opponent that keeps up with me. The rest of the players here don't progress, or are already experts way beyond my level. What should I be focusing on now to take the next step? Matchups? My mix-ups?
- Is it just me or is the online pretty bad sometimes? I've got good internet yet most matches contain some moments of lag-spikes, or the matchfinding requires several tries. Also, anyone who plays online is out to stun you in ten seconds.
- I'm still new to option-selects, as the only I've put to practice is to mash LK+LP while crouch blocking with Akuma. Can all characters perform this OS, or is it just characters with decent jabs and shorts?
- Would you say the metagame for SSFIV:AE is best for characters with lots of mix-ups and hard rushdown, or zoners with good punish options?
- I'm currently dabbling (in order from most played/knowledgeable to least): Akuma, Dhalsim, Adon, Sagat, Blanka, and Oni.
Is there ANYTHING super important I should know about my characters, such as terribad matchups or things to watch out for? I know you should only ever "use who you like", but I like all these characters a good deal and am not new to the nature of competitive fighting games. Anyone I should pick up/drop to help cover other matchups?