Quarter Circle foward/backward problem.

cookeyjarcookeyjar Joined: Posts: 3
I think someone already posted a similar thread about this problem, but I thought it would be nice to hear some helpful feedbacks on this.

Okay, so I'm a total complete newbie when it comes to fighting games, but I thought I give it a try and bought Guilty Gear XX Accent Core for the Wii. Since I don't own a GameCube Controller or a Fight Stick of any kind, I went for the optional controller for Wiimote and Nunchuck controller. Since I ignorantly thought that it wouldn't be that hard to excute a QTR Circle foward/Backward move since it was a joystick of some form, I found myself constantly struggling to execute it even while on Training Mode. My thumb started to cramp badly to the point I found myself frustrated and wanted to refund the game.

But, I didn't want to chicken out and I also knew that fightsticks doesn't come cheap, I perservered and practised hours on end....The result? MORE Thumb cramping...;;;; Now, I'm turning to the experts on SRK to help me with my little problem.

1. Do I have to get a fightstick for this situation? Are they mandatory?
2. If the Nunchuck controller is clunky at executing these moves, how can I improve myself on GC controller?

Comments

• KawwKaww ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ Joined: Posts: 508 ✭✭
    This is just an IMO and by no means an expert opinion. If you're considering a stick for the Wii, you're better off using the money to get another console... HOWEVER with the Wii U coming out, this opinion may change. On top of that, Hori already announced a Tekken tag 2 stick for the Wii U. I'd wait and see before deciding on buying a stick.

More on topic, the classic controller is pretty damn amazing. $20 or less and it's a great pad, especially for the very few fighting games on the Wii.
    wii-classic-controller-1v9d-460.jpg

To top it off, you can use it on whatever else wii game you play. I'd strongly recommend it for anyone that has a Wii in general.

Also last IMO, keep the nunchuck as far away from Guilty gear as possible. It's simply not designed for something as execution heavy as that game in the long term.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I think someone already posted a similar thread about this problem, but I thought it would be nice to hear some helpful feedbacks on this.

Okay, so I'm a total complete newbie when it comes to fighting games, but I thought I give it a try and bought Guilty Gear XX Accent Core for the Wii. Since I don't own a GameCube Controller or a Fight Stick of any kind, I went for the optional controller for Wiimote and Nunchuck controller. Since I ignorantly thought that it wouldn't be that hard to excute a QTR Circle foward/Backward move since it was a joystick of some form, I found myself constantly struggling to execute it even while on Training Mode. My thumb started to cramp badly to the point I found myself frustrated and wanted to refund the game.

But, I didn't want to chicken out and I also knew that fightsticks doesn't come cheap, I perservered and practised hours on end....The result? MORE Thumb cramping...;;;; Now, I'm turning to the experts on SRK to help me with my little problem.

1. Do I have to get a fightstick for this situation? Are they mandatory?
    2. If the Nunchuck controller is clunky at executing these moves, how can I improve myself on GC controller?

1. No, you don't need a fight stick to do a quarter-circle-forward motion. Practice will get you much farther than just buying an arcade stick. You'll have to get used to the idea of dragging your thumb from the down position, and move in a circle to the towards position, and hold it there, while you press a punch or kick to get the special move. That being said, pretty much all controllers for the Wii are ass for fighting games, and practicing on a stick might make it easier on your thumbs, but will still require a LOT of practice to become proficient with an arcade stick.

2. The nunchuck is god awul. You improve on the GC by practice, practice, practice. Start at the neutral position, move your thumb down, and then slide it to the "forward" position. Nothing to it but practice in order to cement it into your muscle memory, and start developing some mean-ass calluses.

The best pad for the Wii, for any non-motion-control game, would be this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ee14/
    The SNES pad, by far, is the best pad ever designed for fighting games. It's not 100% the same as the original, but it's damn close, and significantly better than the GC controller of "Classic" controller for the Wii posted above.
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,936 ✭✭
    +1 for snes pad being best ever for fighting games. Most say saturn pads, but meh on those things. Snes pad ftw all day.

-dime
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
  • BlackShinobiBlackShinobi Making moves Joined: Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Easiest way to do a qcf motion on a pad
    Turn your thumb diagonally with that first line on your thumb just below the down arrow then simply roll your thumb forward from that line down to your fingertip. Rolling your thumb will hit the down when you start the roll, then d/f when your thumb is flat and the forward as the bottom part of your thumb lifts off of the down as you roll it onto forward.
    https://www.facebook.com/ShinobeFGC
    twitter.com/shinob_e
    New player gameplay video critique thread. CLICK THE LINK AND CHECK IT OUT.
    Help the community grow one beginner at time.
  • VulpesVulpes No. Joined: Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭
    How can a pad with only 4 buttons be the "best ever pad for FGs"? o_O
    Why.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭✭
    How can a pad with only 4 buttons be the "best ever pad for FGs"? o_O

There's 2 shoulder buttons too. I guess I should clarify. . The PAD on the SNES is the best pad ever designed. Button design might be outdated in modern fighting games, due to the need to have a KKK or PPP macro. But back in the days when you didn't need these inputs, the first-gen SNES pad was the best thing ever designed.
  • KawwKaww ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ Joined: Posts: 508 ✭✭
    Er well that brings up the question of if it's actually better, nostalgia aside.
  • cookeyjarcookeyjar Joined: Posts: 3
  • cookeyjarcookeyjar Joined: Posts: 3
    Hmm....I might give the classic controller a try, whatever I decide to buy.
    1. No, you don't need a fight stick to do a quarter-circle-forward motion. Practice will get you much farther than just buying an arcade stick. You'll have to get used to the idea of dragging your thumb from the down position, and move in a circle to the towards position, and hold it there, while you press a punch or kick to get the special move. That being said, pretty much all controllers for the Wii are ass for fighting games, and practicing on a stick might make it easier on your thumbs, but will still require a LOT of practice to become proficient with an arcade stick.

2. The nunchuck is god awul. You improve on the GC by practice, practice, practice. Start at the neutral position, move your thumb down, and then slide it to the "forward" position. Nothing to it but practice in order to cement it into your muscle memory, and start developing some mean-ass calluses.

The best pad for the Wii, for any non-motion-control game, would be this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ee14/
    The SNES pad, by far, is the best pad ever designed for fighting games. It's not 100% the same as the original, but it's damn close, and significantly better than the GC controller of "Classic" controller for the Wii posted above.