Comments

• GeorgeCGeorgeC Joined: Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭
    24" diagonal monitor? The old cocktail units were never that big as far as I can recall and they used the old square/4:3 CRT tube ratio.

The monitor in that table looks really tall/long. That rectangular monitor looks weird. I think a square 15"-17" monitor would be better than a 24" diagonal 16:9 monitor. Of course, the square monitors are getting harder to find...

I personally think the Pi Table is a little bit too big even for the early 1980s games. Great in a smaller size for Pac-Man and Donkey Kong but certainly not fighting games. Two buttons don't give you many play options.
    I never liked having to lean over those tabletops . Always preferred uprights or sitdown "cockpit" cabinets... Much more comfortable.

I can see how some people like the more compact table units but I prefer comfort myself; a vertical cabinet unit really won't have a much bigger footprint than a cocktail table unit.
  • hamburglarhamburglar Probably robbing McDonalds Joined: Posts: 57
    Saw something similar the other day when browsing Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimoroni/picade-the-arcade-cabinet-kit-for-your-raspberry-p

More in line with the interest of this forum as well. I am going to build one next summer. Gonna build myself a cnc router first to cut the panels (and a million other projects)
  • kikimaru024kikimaru024 Mid-tier scrub Joined: Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    They show a Picade running SFII... but in 1-player mode!?

Now, if you could do a head-to-head setup...
    Seimitsu & K-sticks > Sanwa JLF.
    This truth is not universally acknowledged.
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 23,916 mod
    But can it run GGPO?
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

• LiQuiD[EViL]LiQuiD[EViL] . Joined: Posts: 117
    When I tried the raspi I found it was way too slow. As a media center, videos played great because of the broadcom chip but at the time there was no 2d driver for that chipset. All the menu gfx were being done by the slow cpu. This made browsing the xbmc menu unbearable. It was pretty slow for web browsing as well especially when you start adding more and more tabs. I'm sure things have improved since those early days and I never did try MAME on it. I would definitely spend the extra money and go with a mini itx setup.
  • ShadoStrikeShadoStrike Guam's Stream Bro Joined: Posts: 182
    When I tried the raspi I found it was way too slow. As a media center, videos played great because of the broadcom chip but at the time there was no 2d driver for that chipset. All the menu gfx were being done by the slow cpu. This made browsing the xbmc menu unbearable. It was pretty slow for web browsing as well especially when you start adding more and more tabs. I'm sure things have improved since those early days and I never did try MAME on it. I would definitely spend the extra money and go with a mini itx setup.

Would a netbook suffice in such a situation? Especially one with HDMI out for HDTVs hooked up to the table instead of a monitor.
    http://twitch.tv/shaydogaming
    Enjoy Guam Fighting Game tournaments at Shaydo Gaming every Thursday at 9 PM (+10:00 GMT)
  • LiQuiD[EViL]LiQuiD[EViL] . Joined: Posts: 117
    Would a netbook suffice in such a situation? Especially one with HDMI out for HDTVs hooked up to the table instead of a monitor.
    As a media center? Netbook can do 720p x264 using coreavc. 1080p will be a problem.
    For MAME, I haven't tried but classic games shouldn't be a problem. Newer games I don't know.
  • defghuidefghui Joined: Posts: 816 ✭✭
    As a media center? Netbook can do 720p x264 using coreavc. 1080p will be a problem.
    For MAME, I haven't tried but classic games shouldn't be a problem. Newer games I don't know.
    ive played a cps3 emu with 3s on an asus netbook and it ran just fine.
    :mp::hp::qcf::qcf::lk: ftw