Tips on anticipating throws in SSFIV:AE?

Psyche_Psyche_ Joined: Posts: 15
Hey guys, I've been having trouble recently predicting and then teching random throws when I'm blocking an opponents combo. Are there any sure fire signs that someone is gonna quit the combo and go for the throw and how can I improve my reactions to it?

Thanks a lot!
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Comments

• eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, I've been having trouble recently predicting and then teching random throws when I'm blocking an opponents combo. Are there any sure fire signs that someone is gonna quit the combo and go for the throw and how can I improve my reactions to it?

Thanks a lot!

A lot of it is identifying your opponent's tendencies. If they keep doing a cross-up attack, cr.jab, and throw, and they did it 2 or 3 times in a row, odds are, they're probably going to do it again.

A lot of people also attack in a regular pattern, so they'll do things like cr.shorts and cr.jabs chained or linked into one another, and it's very rhythmic. If they go for the tick throw, they'll briefly pause, and then go for the throw, so if you have good reactions, you can wait for that cue.

The easiest answer would be to learn how to crouch-tech, which is the most basic option-select in the game. Look up the FAQs and stickies in this sub-section for more information on that. You can also youtube those terms, which should point you to some fairly helpful tutorials.

You can practice this in training mode. Set dummy to record, and have him stand close to the other character. Do a cr.jab, then throw. Pause, walk up, cr.jab x2, then throw. Change it up between different attacks, run the playback, and try your best to test out a variety of options to see what works best for you. Crouch-techs work well, but they can be countered if your opponent sees it coming.
  • Psyche_Psyche_ Joined: Posts: 15
    Really helpful, thanks a lot!
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • KawwKaww ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ Joined: Posts: 508 ✭✭
    The easiest answer would be to learn how to crouch-tech, which is the most basic option-select in the game. Look up the FAQs and stickies in this sub-section for more information on that. You can also youtube those terms, which should point you to some fairly helpful tutorials.

You can practice this in training mode. Set dummy to record, and have him stand close to the other character. Do a cr.jab, then throw. Pause, walk up, cr.jab x2, then throw. Change it up between different attacks, run the playback, and try your best to test out a variety of options to see what works best for you. Crouch-techs work well, but they can be countered if your opponent sees it coming.

Probably the perfect time to ask.

I've been working on Third strike and I try to tech throws on instinct/reaction, it works so-so; it gets the job done...occasionally. However I don't crouch tech at all since I'm still growing as a player. I do play SFIV on the side but I enjoy Third strike the most. I wouldn't mind advice on either.

So should the question is; what are my options? Specifically when my instincts kicks in and I start to see the split second walk in after a quick normal or a empty jump?

Like is there a time to just tech normally over crouch teching or should I crouch tech as often as possible? What are good options in general in those situations? I feel as if I'm developing bad habits to just mash throw as soon as I start to see those common throw setups/mixups and I'm baiting myself into bad situations. I certainly get blown up if they neutral jump in the middle of a typical tick grab set up or whatever causes me to try tech within instinct.

I main Alex in Third strike.
    Probably the perfect time to ask.

I've been working on Third strike and I try to tech throws on instinct/reaction, it works so-so; it gets the job done...occasionally. However I don't crouch tech at all since I'm still growing as a player. I do play SFIV on the side but I enjoy Third strike the most. I wouldn't mind advice on either.

So should the question is; what are my options? Specifically when my instincts kicks in and I start to see the split second walk in after a quick normal or a empty jump?

Like is there a time to just tech normally over crouch teching or should I crouch tech as often as possible? What are good options in general in those situations? I feel as if I'm developing bad habits to just mash throw as soon as I start to see those common throw setups/mixups and I'm baiting myself into bad situations. I certainly get blown up if they neutral jump in the middle of a typical tick grab set up or whatever causes me to try tech within instinct.

I main Alex in Third strike.

Crouch tech works so well because you either tech the throw if he throws, or you do a cr.jab, which will either hit them or make them block. Some characters can hit confirm a combo off of a cr.jab, so you can see the potential there.

Of course, good players will bait this by walking in and out of throw range, and whiff punishing. For example, I'm Ken, and I just throw you into the corner. Now I'm going to walk back and forth to confuse you. When you wake-up, you try to crouch tech, and instead, I'll do cr.strong, and link it into a SA3 if it hits.

I suppose the only time you would stand tech would be if you're trying to counter throw. If he throws, you tech, if he does nothing, you get to throw him. But there's inherently some risk involved in throwing, since there are a variety of options to counter it. Normally you condition your opponent to just block, which is when you would go for the throw to keep him off guard.

But mashing is bad, especially in 3s. You have to learn to maintain composure, keep calm, and just look for a way out of those bad situations.
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭
    Stand teching makes teching throws more reliable if you KNOW they're going to throw. Sometimes you'll crouch tech too early and get thrown out of your cr.lk on startup. The problem is that standing and whiffing a throw is much riskier than crouching and whiffing a cr.lk.

If you're playing online, you always always have to guess when teching throws. Offline, you should be able to tech throw resets on reaction unless they really have their mixups down.

If you're trying to tech throws in blockstrings, just pay attention to when they like to throw and anticipate. If they always do cr.lp -> throw... wait for the cr.lp, then throw tech. Experiment with teching with different timings. Late teching is the best option usually.

Against good offensive opponents, everyone gets thrown.

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=2558
    Maj wrote:
    A lot of this goes back to being realistic about the matchup and about your abilities as a player. If you go up against an opponent who likes to throw, you will get thrown. It’s going to happen. Sometimes it’ll happen three or four times in a row. Visualize this sequence of events and visualize your instinctive reaction, then ask yourself whether it’s the best course of action.
    Certain tactics are too difficult to shut down completely. Everyone gets thrown, everyone gets crossed up, everyone gets cornered, everybody gets shot. There’s nothing you can do about exceptional offensive players forcing you to choose your poison, but you can certainly choose your psychological response.
    At the end of the day, it’s completely up you whether you get frustrated by throws. Remember, it’s only like 8% damage. You can let that rattle you enough to walk into a psychic DP, or you can brush it off and punish that missed uppercut. Even if you get thrown two more times in the process, that’s still adds up to less than 25% damage. Is it worth losing composure and giving away a match over 25% damage?
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.
    Stand teching makes teching throws more reliable if you KNOW they're going to throw. Sometimes you'll crouch tech too early and get thrown out of your cr.lk on startup. The problem is that standing and whiffing a throw is much riskier than crouching and whiffing a cr.lk.

If you're playing online, you always always have to guess when teching throws. Offline, you should be able to tech throw resets on reaction unless they really have their mixups down.

If you're trying to tech throws in blockstrings, just pay attention to when they like to throw and anticipate. If they always do cr.lp -> throw... wait for the cr.lp, then throw tech. Experiment with teching with different timings. Late teching is the best option usually.

Against good offensive opponents, everyone gets thrown.

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=2558

That and getting thrown isn't the end of the world. You don't take much damage off a throw, compared to eat if eat a counterhit combo. The problem, of course, is that your opponent has positioning on you, but you just have to learn to be patient and look for an opening to get away, and reset the match.
  • helhelhelhelohelhelhelhelo True Believer | * * * * | Joined: Posts: 251
    get ready to tech a throw when:
    > your opponent missed a combo
    > wakeup
    > jump in